This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affects of being Frozen

Just a question I was wondering, if it's been asked already, then sorry, I'm asking again lol

In E10 for S3 Atlantis we learn that the Atlantian Warship had been traveling at near faster than light speeds, but not quite at the point where it was faster than light (very very fast sublight engines). Although this is a technical marvel in itself, its also pretty useless in practical terms with the availability of Hyperspace travel.

Coming to my point just about, also we learn that time seems to slow down the faster you get to light speed without actually traveling at it, thus time on the ship traveling way more slowly than the outside world not traveling at such speeds. So much infact that the warship had been traveling for 10,000 years since Atlantis was abandoned, flying in the void between the two galaxies at sublight speeds, yet the crew had not aged more than a few years (depending how long they had traveled in their perspective) even though 10,000 years had passed. I'm assuming its a few years, I can't remember if the exact time was mensioned.

Either way, the Atlantian stasis chambers can sustain a human life for 10,000 years, yet the ageing effect on the body still ages you pretty much your entire life, as seen with Dr Weir in season 1.

So if somebody wanted to freeze themselves for a long time or something similar, is it not better to fly around for a year or two at near FTL speeds and only age 2 years in 10,000, instead of actually freezing yourself and ageing 50 years? Maybe its a bit pointless but I can't help but think it makes more sence lol

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

I think you're right. It's proberly another plothole.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

first off, I think the aging of alternate Dr. Weir was because they cut power to the chamber as soon as it tried to wake her up.

Second, I think in 10000 years moving at that speed, you'd age more like 12 years.

Just my $0.02
      Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
      Check out my Flickr

Comment

the best way is to freeze in a chamber and shake that chamber to the near speed of light.

so its like a giant coke shaking hand!
        sigpic

Comment

Weir didn't age because the power was cut to her pod, she aged because while in stasis you still age but at a much slower rate. After 10,000 years of being frozen, that's how she looked. We saw the same effect on crew members of the Aurora, more specifically the captain.

The reason why the Tria crew hadn't aged was because for 10,000 years, time was moving at a fraction for them. They were moving at such a speed, that after 10,000 years of near light speed only 12 years had passed on the ship. If you include the effects of stasis pods, they wouldn't have aged at all.

After 10,000 years, Weir aged about 70 years? If you take into consideration the Tria crew only experienced 12 years and including the pod effect, a second or two of aging were probably experienced.

sigpic

Comment

Didn't Weir had to exit his stasis chamber each xxxx years to do something with the ZPM ?
            I guess this is why she was so old, she had been getting frozen/unfrozen so she wasn't only long-term frozen...
            Look at "Spoiler for The Quest part 2"
            Spoiler:
            Merlin, he didn't aged... well... maybe he did, but he was probably old when he got frozen so we can't really know...

Comment

12 years thats the one lol.

As mentioned, the crew of the aurora (sp?) aged to the point where they couldnt even be revived because they were that old because of stasis pods. Makes me think theres a massive plothole. Why freeze yourself on a planet for 10,000 years and have half your life gone, if you can fly around on a ship and hardly age at all

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

another one falls into a plot hole, then...what a pity...
                Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                Check out my Flickr

Comment

Wasn't the Tria fitted with a ZPM and that’s the only reason it could go so fast? The Aurora crew went into stasis because they had no other choice, and I'm guessing most other Ancients who were in a situation where their only hope was to freeze themselves didn't have a ship and a ZPM handy. It's not really a plot hole, just the situation the people involved found themselves in.
                  "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

I don't see any plotholes here. Weir had to stay in the city so that she could rotate the ZPMs. If she'd gone onto a ship, she couldn't have very well gotten down into the city to change the batteries.

But... what if she could have beamed down or something? Even then, it probably couldn't have been pulled off. Janus had to keep his actions secret. Given his past adventures, I think people would have gotten a bit suspicious if he started futzing around with one of their ships (if they even had such a thing on hand at that point) so soon before their departure.

As for the faster-than-light coke can, maybe I'm a little unimaginative, but I somehow don't see it being possible to build a contraption of that variety without an immense power requirement of its own. And I get the vague feeling that all that jiggling could be rather bad for the health.
                    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

It takes an enormous amount of energy to keep your velocity at very high fractions of c, due to mass dilation (similar to time dilation, but it occurs when the extra energy you add to increase the momentum of your ship is transferred into matter rather than velocity, thus conserving momentum).

It would be pointless for Weir (or anyone for that matter) to accelerate to near c velocities and then go into stasis unless you had a VERY powerful energy source to power both (ie a ZPM) which Weir did not have because she needed it to keep the city shields up.

Oh, and the shaking example would not work, because you would be constantly accelerating and decelerating and so would not only spend very little time at near-c speeds, but also use alot of energy. (That's just me being nit-picky )

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
                      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

Originally posted by Alchemist View Post
                        Oh, and the shaking example would not work, because you would be constantly accelerating and decelerating and so would not only spend very little time at near-c speeds, but also use alot of energy. (That's just me being nit-picky )
                        My thoughts exactly. Whatwithall the the potential speed lost due to the fact that shaking requires frequent stops and starts, spinning would be a much more practical solution.

More scientific evidence that spinning is cooler than not-spinning.
                        [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Working...
                        X