Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come Aiden never gets called by his first name?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come Aiden never gets called by his first name?

Every major (and some minor) character on the show, including Dr. Weir, gets called by their first name at some point except Lt. Ford. I wonder why? I figured somebody might yell his name when he was attacked by the Shadow in H&S, or maybe when he was in a hosiptal bed to show that they thought of him as a person rather than a walking weapon...but they don't. He's just the (almost) nameless (black) Lieutenant that they keep around because he's good with a gun. Who cares if he has a first name? Or is a real person?

If I didn't come to Gateworld I wouldn't even know his first name. The only time it was mentioned on TV was during the Lowdown, and that was because Rainbow himself said it.

Forgive me if I'm bitter.
    Liaison of F.O.R.D.
    Click here to help Save Ford!

I believe Aiden never gets called by his first name because of military regulations. In the military, you call people by their last name, or rank and last name. I dont know about this, but I think people of high rank sometimes gets called by their first name. not sure though. In formal circumstances, you can call people by their first name.

I have noticed though, that Aiden is sort of the "inflatible man" there to accompany people on missions, and just gets put with people with no purpose. He doesn't really get to do any job. That could be that hes a leutenant, but leutenants in SG-1 get to do stuff.

Comment

If my first name was Aiden, I would want to be called by my last name too!

But seriously, people get use to calling someone what everyone else does. If everyone calls him Ford or Lt. Ford, you get use to it and call him that too, especially if you did not know the person before hand. It's like that with people I meet, or people I work with. I have people I consider to be friends, and it takes me a minute to think of what their first name actually is... since I call them by their last name or nickname so much.
      O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
      Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Oh yeah, and if you think Lt. Ford has it bad, what do you think about poor Chevron Guy??
        O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
        Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by S0f4
          I believe Aiden never gets called by his first name because of military regulations. In the military, you call people by their last name, or rank and last name.
          There are plenty of non-military people (like Drs. Weir and McKay) who could use Aiden's first name, plus, in non-military/personal situations it's perfectly acceptable for a superior officer to call a junior officer by their first name. It's more iffy for a Lieutenant to call a Major by his/her first name.

Originally posted by Ramne
          Oh yeah, and if you think Lt. Ford has it bad, what do you think about poor Chevron Guy??
          At least we know his first name...plus Walter isn't a main character...Aiden is.
          Liaison of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Aiden Ford
            There are plenty of non-military people (like Drs. Weir and McKay) who could use Aiden's first name, plus, in non-military/personal situations it's perfectly acceptable for a superior officer to call a junior officer by their first name. It's more iffy for a Lieutenant to call a Major by his/her first name.
            In many situtations people tend to use the same name that others are using around him. I had an instructor when I was a cadet who called it the 'name tag effect'. People use what's on your name tag, even if they could use your first name.

Comment

I guess in difficult situations or danger it's also better to use a name with just *one* syllable

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
              Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
              ~CELLO!~
              ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Also, Aiden was conspicuously left out of the "thanks" in 38 Minutes.

38 Minutes
                Spoiler:
                Major Sheppard made it a point to thank McKay for saving his life by retracting the drive pod, but he didn't say a damn word to Ford about getting the bug off of him and exposing himself to hard vacuum to save everyone. Forgive me if I think that deserves as much of a pat on the ass as retracting the drive pod!
                Liaison of F.O.R.D.

Comment

38 Minutes
                  Spoiler:
                  Major Sheppard made it a point to thank McKay for saving his life by retracting the drive pod, but he didn't say a damn word to Ford about getting the bug off of him and exposing himself to hard vacuum to save everyone. Forgive me if I think that deserves as much of a pat on the ass as retracting the drive pod!
                  Hey sorry to say this, but there is actually no proof for the others that he really did it. It could have been a meteorit which crashed into the PJ pushing it through the gate
                  "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

I prefer to be called by my frist name, but throughout my freshman year of highschool, I was called by my last name. It happens when one person (in my case, my science teacher) calls you by a certain name, and it just catches on with everyone else.
                    It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

38 Minutes
                      Spoiler:
                      In 38 Minutes, Sheppard thanked the whole group as a whole and McKay was the one who replied for the group.

As for Ford first name, many he doesn't want to be called Aiden. So, he asked everyone to call him just Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramne
                        But seriously, people get use to calling someone what everyone else does. If everyone calls him Ford or Lt. Ford, you get use to it and call him that too, especially if you did not know the person before hand. It's like that with people I meet, or people I work with. I have people I consider to be friends, and it takes me a minute to think of what their first name actually is... since I call them by their last name or nickname so much.
                        but the thing is, everyone is used to calling each other by their last name, but they still call each other by their first name sometimes, except for Aiden.
                        Maybe its because if they remembered his first name, they forgot it except for the Ford part, since they dont talk to him much. Or maybe they just dont know it.

Comment

I love the name Aiden, personally. It's strong.

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                            Hey sorry to say this, but there is actually no proof for the others that he really did it. It could have been a meteorit which crashed into the PJ pushing it through the gate
                            As unlikely as your statement is, even if it were true, Aiden did risk his life to save everyone else.
                            Liaison of F.O.R.D.

Comment

As unlikely as your statement is, even if it were true, Aiden did risk his life to save everyone else.
                              Well, he did, but the others dont know for sure He didnt recorded.
                              "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Working...
                              X