This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1x10 "The Storm"

When I first read about this episode, it looked like this was Stargate meets "Day after Tomorrow"...and I'm not really looking forward to this one...

But now with all these hurricanes hitting the US now, it's just downright ironic...Did they mean to have this episode to play right in the middle of the US hurricane season?

...and I wonder if they will get the science right... I'm sure they'll make it something impossible to occur on earth like 300+ mph winds ... Of course a storm that produces those kinds of winds would have a central pressure so low that a human would suffocate as you get close to the eye...

The storm is ten times stronger than anything seen on Earth... but I'm sure there won't be an insta-freeze eyes though (Stupid movie! )

Comment

it does seem ironic.
      Maybe the producers want to show off their special effect skills for a fight like they did in attack of the clones.

Comment

Originally posted by X304
        But now with all these hurricanes hitting the US now, it's just downright ironic...Did they mean to have this episode to play right in the middle of the US hurricane season?

...and I wonder if they will get the science right... I'm sure they'll make it something impossible to occur on earth like 300+ mph winds ... Of course a storm that produces those kinds of winds would have a central pressure so low that a human would suffocate as you get close to the eye...
        Since the writers are Canadian, they probably have no experience with hurricanes, or read about how the hurricane of '38 literally re-arranged the eastern coast. Let's hope the '10 times anything seen on earth' is just stupid marketing stuff for the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          Since the writers are Canadian, they probably have no experience with hurricanes, or read about how the hurricane of '38 literally re-arranged the eastern coast. Let's hope the '10 times anything seen on earth' is just stupid marketing stuff for the episode.
          They could mean area and not windspeed. And if the planet has a much higher precentage of water surface (or is in fact, larger) than earth, it could easy be that big. Doesn't mean the windspeed would be greater.

Comment

While we Canadians don't get hit as often as Florida, we do have some experience with hurricanes. Check out this site, which shows some of the major hurricanes to have affected Canada: http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps...ajorhurricanes

We even have our own Hurricane monitoring center: http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/weather/hurricane/index_e.html

Also, don't forget that Florida is a [I]big/[I] destination spot for some of us Canucks, especially once we get into our golden years. We're thinking of annexing it actually...

Comment

Sounds like a good episode.With all those hurricanes I'm glad i live in the desert.

Comment

That hurrican went right over my house, it knocked out the main bridge and they rebiult it with the one that is still standing today.

Hurricanes on Earth can get to about 200-225 winds and gusts to 250, but that's rare and most of the time takes place in the Pasific because there is more water are.

The hurricane of 1900 I think hit Texas with 200 MPH winds and killed thousands because there was no warning back then.

I guess this one will be 2,000 MPH winds? Hahaha, even if that can with hudreds of miles of the city they would all be dead.

I wonder if this is going to kill all the crops we started. Prob not through, that would be too hard for the writers to think of.
                It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

I really do think they are talking size of the storm, not catagory/windspeed when they say 10 times LARGER than anything on earth.

Comment

Ten times??? How?

I'm sorry, but unless they have the shield running, even Atlantis shouldn't be able to survive that. If it can then the wraith shouldn't be much of a concern... With architecture like that what did the Ancients have to be afraid of?
                    We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Originally posted by ToastBusters
                      Ten times??? How?

I'm sorry, but unless they have the shield running, even Atlantis shouldn't be able to survive that. If it can then the wraith shouldn't be much of a concern... With architecture like that what did the Ancients have to be afraid of?
                      That would be why they are evacuating...

Comment

If there is only one continent then the storm could grow to be quite massive.

Comment

wow, the writers (or the scifi marketing department) must be frequenting this board. I got a red dot for making this post. oh, the horrors! No wait, it couldn't have been a writer. they actually would have written something. Must be that evil red-dot stalker I have....

Comment

Originally posted by Zorkon
                            While we Canadians don't get hit as often as Florida, we do have some experience with hurricanes. Check out this site, which shows some of the major hurricanes to have affected Canada: http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps...ajorhurricanes

We even have our own Hurricane monitoring center: http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/weather/hurricane/index_e.html

Also, don't forget that Florida is a [I]big/[I] destination spot for some of us Canucks, especially once we get into our golden years. We're thinking of annexing it actually...
                            Yup, they call the canadians "Snowbirds" as they do go down south to evade the snow (can't blame 'em). I suspect Florida's tourism is down the tubes this year. Gads, 2, maybe 3 hurricanes in a row!

However, I know you guys can get some really nasty tornadoes. Still remember the footage of that one in Edmonton. That was HUGE.

Comment

Working...
                            X