PDA

View Full Version : quote from AT regarding S4 and other things

Dave C
January 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I am also joining the cast of Atlantis next year for 14 episodes!! I am delighted.

I have been quoted as saying that “I am contractually obligated to the franchise for another year.” This sounds incredibly cold. It’s strange sometimes to see your words in print. I want to be on the record as saying that I am very excited about the move to Atlantis. I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for the character of Carter and for me personally.

I am also aware that some people are not thrilled with the idea. I can only say that I think it will be a nice fit. I know Atlantis is not my show and I intend to tread lightly on their boards. I have a huge amount of respect for the cast and crew and hope that I will add to the show and not take away from anyone.

I have talked at great length with Joe and Paul. When they first pitched the idea to me, I was a little nervous. After talking to them I am convinced that this is a good move. They are very excited about show running Atlantis and I am sure their enthusiasm will be felt on screen.

I will also be in the two SG-1 TV movies which are shooting in April and June. I am looking at a very busy and fulfilling year. Surprisingly, I will have a bit more time off this year to spend with my family as I am only scheduled for four days per episode on Atlantis. This is perfect for me. Olivia is an absolute wonder and Alan and I are enjoying this time immensely.

Four days per episode must mean she won't be a massive part of the show, also nice to see she doesn't want to interfere with the setup on atlantis and that she was a little nervous shows she still cares about the product after all these years

oflyboy
January 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Calm down.

Yes some people will still be against it. Personally I don't mind, I've been a fan of SG-1 pretty much since we started getting it over here, and love Carter. However I also love SGA. If the move is done well I will praise it, and if there is a bad episode I will criticize the episode. I don't see the point in *****ing about the move right now when we have no idea how its going to be done or how involved the character will be in the every day runnings of Atlantis. Personally having seen SG-1 S10 Ep13 I am quite looking forward to it. Carter does have a certain something with McKay.

Xx

any_gopher
January 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Where did you find this quote? Well, wherever you found it, thanks for posting it. I had a few misgivings toward AT's enthusiasm, but now I'm reassured. I'm looking forward to next season.

ShadowMaat
January 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM
That's from AmandaTapping.com isn't it? I've seen it bandied about in a couple of threads already.

Avenger
January 27th, 2007, 01:05 PM
It's always nice to see people who base their opinions on nothing more than internal emotional stimuli.

ShadowMaat
January 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Why is it that whenever someone complains that they don't like something- even sight unseen- other fans feel the need to climb on their high horses and insult/condemn those who disagree? I thought the point of this thread was to discuss (yet again) AT's move to Atlantis, not to point fingers and call names at other fans.

Freekzilla
January 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Even though I don't like the idea of her coming to Atlantis, mostly because I'd like to see more of the "current" cast as is, I am very happy that she understands the fans concerns and intends to "tread lightly". That actually makes me feel much better. I am however, still very sad that Paul and Torri are either disappearing or being reduced. But still, the fact that AT is being mindful of the fans makes me like and respect her more. So, since she is doing so, I'll back her 100%.

Thanks Amanda, it's really appreciated.

Franklyn Blaze
January 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
People who don't like it can wait and see. People who do like it can squee. :)

If it turns out to be a bad fit for any or all of the reasons people have mentioned. I'm sure you wont let us live it down. :rolleyes:

theonebluegecko
January 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Joseph Mallozzi posted in his blog about Sam coming to atlantis

Anonymous writes: “I think what has a lot of people worried (and maybe we don't need to be) is the fear that [Carter] will TAKE OVER and be in charge while Sheppard and Rodney get shoved to the sidelines because she thinks she is "better" than they are in both military and science areas. Yeah probably won't happen since she is a guest character but I think a little reassurance is needed for some of us.”

Answer: Consider yourself reassured.

Trini writes: “…many SGA fans fear that the enormous growth Rodney has shown over the seasons will be nullified; they fear that, since Rodney is rather smitten with Sam, he would have eyes only for her and care only about her, instead of about Sheppard and his team. Are there any reassurances you could offer us? Will the friendship between the members of Sheppard's team still be developed once Carter has joined Atlantis?”

Answer: Carter’s entering the mix will certainly make for some fun interactions between the two, but the last time I checked McKay was already in a happy relationship. As for the friendship between Sheppard’s team - we already have some stories in the works.

GateGipsy: “ On the flipside, doesn't the character of Sam actually duplicate many of the skills and special attributes of existing characters?”

Answer: If you look at it that way, Zelenka duplicates many of McKay’s skills and special attributes and the same could be said with regard to Lorne vis-?*-vis Sheppard.

Night Spring
January 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM
It's always nice to see people who base their opinions on nothing more than internal emotional stimuli.
Well... Basing our opinions on whether or not to send more American troops to Iraq based solely on "internal emotional stimuli" would be a bad idea. But whether or not I think Godiva's chocolate is better than Hershey's? What else would one base that opinion on other than "internal emotional stimuli"?

Also, those of you who say "people who think X would do Y" before anyone has any chance to say anything in a thread -- whatever happened to "Let's wait and see what happens before rushing to judgement"?

I too appreciate Amanda's understanding and respect of fans' feelings, and hope TPTB take their cue from her example.

ShadowMaat
January 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I think Amanda is fabulous. I respect the hell out of her and don't envy the position she's in. I'll also say that she shows a lot more sensitivity and understanding than a lot of fandom. ;) I knew there was a reason I liked her. :P

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell
January 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone I was a little angry at the time and I should not have posted. :sam: :sam: :sam:

Jackie
January 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
well, there is just no pleasing everyone. The object is to make moves that the majority of the fans will like. SC is the most plyable character. AT has a large fan base and is in general really good to work with. I have yet to hear of an actors who don't want to work with her.

Daniel would be great on Atlantis but I think he would dwarf out too many of the other cast. Teal'c is already there in the form of Ronon. I have no idea what Teyla's purpose is now.

Mark Sterns of skiffy was quoted that he wanted to see some of SG-1 cast on Atlantis. There could be a contract obligation to be fulfilled too.

I do hope to see MS do a couple of guest shows on SGA but not stay there. However, it sounds like MS is moving on to other things so that's unlikely now.

squire.spotz
January 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
i think people are not so much against carter but against what they fear M&M will do to their show and favourite characters carter included. and considering M&M are responsible for SG! S9&10 as well as eppisodes such as irrisistable and irrisponsable the fear is justified. especially since demoted to reccuring in atlantis means one more story before they kill you.

ShadowMaat
January 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM
If it was the Sam of season six or earlier I'd be a lot more comfortable, but the Sam of season ten combined with M&M being in charge AND all the other cast changes and the worrisome comment of a "soft reset" adds up to a very uneasy feeling.

No fault of Amanda's, of course, I still think she's wonderful. It's Sam I don't like anymore, it's SG-1 that I despise, and it's M&M whose idea of "good" I find repugnant.

PG15
January 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM
i think people are not so much against carter but against what they fear M&M will do to their show and favourite characters carter included. and considering M&M are responsible for SG! S9&10 as well as eppisodes such as irrisistable and irrisponsable the fear is justified. especially since demoted to reccuring in atlantis means one more story before they kill you.

Rob Cooper came up with the majority of the Ori storyline; not only that, but the writing process is very much a team process; scripts written by M&M would've been reviewed by the other writers, and vice versa.

Irresistable was a story by Brad Wright and Rob Cooper, and the script was written by Carl Binder; M&M would've been as involved as any other writer who weren't the 3 I mentioned.

Please actually check your facts before criticising someone/thing.

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell
January 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Well as I really enjoyed season 9 of SG-1 and so far I'm really enjoying season 10 I don't have any problems with the changes that are happening to Atlantis and I must admit I've been surprised at the level of criticism and dislike for seasons 9 & 10 and the Ori since I joined this forum, I think the Ori are one of the best bad guys the Stargate universe has created a specially has I feel season 8 was poor and felt very tired and claustrophobic but I getting off topic so I'm sorry.

ToasterOnFire
January 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
M&M are responsible for bringing us Irresponsible and Tower, two all-time fan favorites. Maybe they won't have time to write next season once they're in charge. Darn.

It's nice to see that AT is aware of the touchiness of the situation and empathizes with those that have concerns. I enjoy seeing what she brings to the screen, it's what TPTB might do with her that worries me. Still, I'm trying to remain positive about this at least. :mckay:

SGFerrit
January 28th, 2007, 03:09 AM
If it was the Sam of season six or earlier I'd be a lot more comfortable, but the Sam of season ten combined with M&M being in charge AND all the other cast changes and the worrisome comment of a "soft reset" adds up to a very uneasy feeling.

I think you'll feel differently when you see the 2nd half of season 10 Matt. In all three episodes so far Carter has played a pivotal part and had some great scenes and interaction with other characters.

I'm hoping this will continue for he rest of the season, and I'm hoping she plays an important part and has good character interaction with the Atlantis cast next year.

SGFerrit
January 28th, 2007, 03:18 AM
For me, regardless of how much I loved Sam in SG1 (she was my favourite character), I'll continue to write letters and fight for Weir to be reinstalled as a main character. And that's my right, and the right of all the other shrill and ill-informed lemmings who love this character.

Why can't they just work side by side?

I'm sure if it is written properly they could both be in Atlantis, and have great character interaction too.

I mean, can we not atleast wait to see what happens with the characters before making judgement? It could work out badly, I'm admiting that. I have some worries myself. But can we not atleast see what happens? Why do know how much Weir is going to feature, but she is still going to be there(isn't she?) and Amanda only works something like 4 days on an episode, so she can't feature so heavily as to take all of Torri's screen time away.

SGFerrit
January 28th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Why can't we wait? The lead actress on Atlantis has been made recurring. We've seen what recurring means to these people. It means Ford post season 1 and Jonas after the return of Daniel. Not all Atlantis fans are fans of SG1. We feel the cast deserves to be given the chance to reach its full potential, and that includes Weir as a main character, not recurring so that she can be shoved aside for a bunch of other recurring characters.

I admire Amanda, and I'm sure she'll handle it well, but Torri deserves to be a fulltime part of this series. She's been there since day one. They recast the role to get her. We're protesting because from what we know, they haven't killed her character off yet. They're still writing the season 4 scripts, but I wouldn't put it past them to do that, and we need to fight for the character while we still can.

But we don't know how much she will be in the show. Beckett was recurring in season 1, and he was an imortant part of it. TBH Weir is practically rcurring already, no offense to any of her fans. I love the character, I love all the characters of Atlantis and SG-1. But the only episode she has had that really revolves around her this season was the Real world. I'm just saying that although it could be a big drop in screen time for her (I myself wouldn't be happy if this was the case) there is also the chance that she could be in 14 or so episodes. She is in pretty much all of them now, but in alot of them she has absolutely nothing to do but worry. If they cut some of her scenes where she isn't needed then the screen time could be used for other things.

Now I don't know if this is what is going to happen, I personally am going to wait and see:)

crazedturkey
January 28th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Well, call me crazy, but I'd rather do something now before they pull a Rainbow Sun Francks on her and screw her over completely.

Just to ask a really dumb question, but is there any word on whether TH has been at all involved with this? I'm not saying they can't have cut her, it's certainly possible based on past actions, but perhaps it 's not as sinister as many are imagining. Perhaps she asked for a reduced role, ala RDA in season 7/8, and Michael Shanks in season 6.

And I agree with all the rest of you. Lovely statement by AT, as always. Nice to see that she is, as always, sensitive to the fans. She's just a class-act all round.

SGFerrit
January 28th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Well there is no harm in voicing to them what you think, wether it turns out to be good or bad. I don't want to see Torri end up like RSF either, people just go about it different ways. I'd prefer to wait and see, but you don't want to wait and want reassurance of what will happen with Torri.

Everyone likes her there from what I've heard, cast and crew. I personally don't think they will get rid of her. Hopefully this all means a bit less screentime.

ShadowMaat
January 28th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I think you'll feel differently when you see the 2nd half of season 10 Matt.
It's Maat (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/maat.html). And I stopped watching SG-1 around season 7-8 when I decided it was so heavily mired in crap that it was never going to dig its way out again.

I did watch TRNT because Lorne was in it and I did enjoy the ep, but I have no intention of watching the rest of the show. As far as I'm concerned, having a good ep here or there still doesn't change the fact that the product as a whole is bad. You can still find a good apple amid the rotten, worm-eaten bunch. ;)

Anyway, it's only my opinion but I'm sure that won't stop people from pointing out why I'm "wrong" and/or telling me I have no right to pass judgment. *yawn* Whatever. ;)

SGFerrit
January 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM
It's Maat (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/maat.html). And I stopped watching SG-1 around season 7-8 when I decided it was so heavily mired in crap that it was never going to dig its way out again.

I did watch TRNT because Lorne was in it and I did enjoy the ep, but I have no intention of watching the rest of the show. As far as I'm concerned, having a good ep here or there still doesn't change the fact that the product as a whole is bad. You can still find a good apple amid the rotten, worm-eaten bunch. ;)

Anyway, it's only my opinion but I'm sure that won't stop people from pointing out why I'm "wrong" and/or telling me I have no right to pass judgment. *yawn* Whatever. ;)

I am so sorry if I caused you any offense. What was I thinking saying you would like the second half, when you haven't watched the first! Even though you implied that you had by saying:

If it was the Sam of season six or earlier I'd be a lot more comfortable, but the Sam of season ten

which kind of gives impression that you have actually seen her in s10, how STUPID of me. i know, maybe if you haven't actually seen Sam in most of s10 then don't comment on what the character is like.

I'm not gonna tell you that youre wrong. It's your opinion. TBH I really couldn't care less if you don't like the show anymore.

God I can't even post a little something that was supposed to be positive without getting the whole Shadowmaat sarcasm-fest thing:rolleyes:

ShadowMaat
January 28th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I saw parts of seasons 7 and 8. I didn't like Sam then and I hardly think she's changed by season ten. Reading the occasional plot synopsis of eps in seasons nine and ten only confirm that those changes (as I saw them) that I so disliked in her character were still there and were, if anything, becoming worse. Thus, I'm not going to like the Sam of season ten and am not going to want her on the show.

SGFerrit
January 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I saw parts of seasons 7 and 8. I didn't like Sam then and I hardly think she's changed by season ten. Reading the occasional plot synopsis of eps in seasons nine and ten only confirm that those changes (as I saw them) that I so disliked in her character were still there and were, if anything, becoming worse. Thus, I'm not going to like the Sam of season ten and am not going to want her on the show.

I'm not trying to undervalue your opinion Maat, but it would be alot more respectable if you had actually seen the season you are putting down. To me atleast. Alot of people who disliked s9 like s10, but atleast they stayed and tried it. I just find it hard to believe you call it crap fest etc and complain about seasons 9 and 10, when you haven't seen past s8. You can't tell much from synopsis. I have read some and been very under whelmed to say the least, and then the episode has turned out great, totally different to what I expected.

And for the people who complained about Sam being under-utilized recently, I think the second half of s10 will change their minds. From what I have sseen anyway.

Night Spring
January 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I skipped S9, but have watched the first half of S10. There was one episode where Sam cried after a traumatic event, I believe it was in front of other people whom she was in command of at that point. Yes, she is human, and she is entitled to feel grief -- but as a military officer, she's not entitled to have a breakdown in the middle of a crisis situation. Have we ever seen Jack O'Neill cry in the middle of a military crisis? Or John Sheppard? Would they retain the respect of their men if they did? Would they retain *your* respect if they did?

Lida
January 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I skipped S9, but have watched the first half of S10. There was one episode where Sam cried after a traumatic event, I believe it was in front of other people whom she was in command of at that point. Yes, she is human, and she is entitled to feel grief -- but as a military officer, she's not entitled to have a breakdown in the middle of a crisis situation. Have we ever seen Jack O'Neill cry in the middle of a military crisis? Or John Sheppard? Would they retain the respect of their men if they did? Would they retain *your* respect if they did?

Personally, I would follow a Lt. Col. like Carter into battle, as she appears to have real emotions for her commrades, and the Col. killed was a friend of hers. I believe Shep and Jack would show emotion too, perhaps not in the way of tears, but perhaps something darker. Our men and women in battle are human beings, and I would hope they retain their humanity, even in a time of war, as Lt. Col. Carter did. As an aside, it did nothing to affect her performance as an officer.

i found forever
January 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Well, call me crazy, but I'd rather do something now before they pull a Rainbow Sun Francks on her and screw her over completely.

CRAZY! How dare you think something like that? We should wait and see till she's killed off THEN fight for her. You silly!

I read that post by AT and thought it was extremely considerating of her. At least SOMEONE has some respect for the fans.

Blower'sGate
January 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM
CRAZY! How dare you think something like that? We should wait and see till she's killed off THEN fight for her. You silly!

I agree.

I read that post by AT and thought it was extremely considerating of her. At least SOMEONE has some respect for the fans.

Yep AT did great here.

Irish Eyes
January 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Wonderful statement from Amanda. I feel for her since she is going through a difficult time and on top of it the Atlantis fandom is in an uproar. The fact that she realizes this and posted what she did shows how classy she is.

Personally, I don't want Sam (or anyone from SG1 for that matter) in the majority of SGA's episodes next season. But it's not enough to make me stop watching.

(And I still want Torri reinstated as a regular:) )

rdc137
January 28th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Although I am upset to see Wier downgraded, I am interested to see some Carter/Sheppard interaction (I don't mean ship). Actually what I really would've liked is (Spoiler for Mid-Season 3 Atlantis):

Is when Sheppard was back on Earth when they left Atlantis, I would have liked to see him teamed up with SG-1 for a "getting to know the Ori" mission.

Major_Moomin
January 28th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Four days per episode must mean she won't be a massive part of the show, also nice to see she doesn't want to interfere with the setup on atlantis and that she was a little nervous shows she still cares about the product after all these years

At a con I went to, Joe Flanigan said that Torri only shoots for 2-3 days. And that's when she's in the entire episode. It'll most likely mean that AT will be mostly filming in the studio. So her character will probably be in Atlantis all the time, not going off-world.

petemoretti
January 29th, 2007, 04:32 AM
At a con I went to, Joe Flanigan said that Torri only shoots for 2-3 days. And that's when she's in the entire episode. It'll most likely mean that AT will be mostly filming in the studio. So her character will probably be in Atlantis all the time, not going off-world.

She might be on a ship too.

Major_Moomin
January 29th, 2007, 04:45 AM
She might be on a ship too.

Yep. And that would be filmed in the studio too, which would be quicker and easier to film than a location shoot. For me, shooting 4 days for each one doesn't really give a good indication of how much she'll be in an episode. A lot of scenes can be shot in a single day.

Rootortoise
January 29th, 2007, 05:17 AM
i have to agree with shadowmaat here, to be honest it was sam who turned me off sg1 eventually when season 7 and 8 she became unrecognisable as the character she was in the earlier years, she became superSam! and hey it didnt matter if she made a mistake cos she'd get a pat on the head from o'neill and it would all be fine. gemini comes to mind. plus the seasons tended to focus too much around her.
i watched pegasus project this season because it had some atlantis stars in it and i still found that i hated the character of sam, especially when it came to her attitude to mckay.
so im really not looking forward to having her in atlantis, in any capacity.
ive disliked her in all of her appearances in atlantis, because her nor any other sg1 character fits in with atlantis.

AT's statement was nice, but she isnt in charge, she may have no intention of stepping on anyones toes but that doesnt mean TPTB dont have other plans.

all imo of course.

prion
January 29th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Does anybody else see a problem with this? Torri is a regular and gets 2-3 days, and AT isn't and gets 4 days? Just seems odd.

Very few people are against AT (yes there are some who dislike the actress but well that's another topic altogether) but worry that the writers will basically screw the fans by favoring Carter. It's not like we don't have empircal evidence for those worries.

Night Spring
January 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Wasn't 4 days a week also the amount of time RDA spent shooting during S7-S8?

prion
January 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Wasn't 4 days a week also the amount of time RDA spent shooting during S7-S8?

Don't know the exact days he spent but toward the end they rearranged schedules, as I recall reading in some article, to accommodate his schedule, which at times meant shooting two episodes at the same time. That doesn't make for the best TV, alas.

sgeureka
January 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Wasn't 4 days a week also the amount of time RDA spent shooting during S7-S8?I remember 3 days a week with the fourth week in a month off in S8.

sherryw
January 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I love SGA and I'm actually going to take a wait and see attitude with AT. I've liked her from the beginning and I thought that she played well with the Atlantis characters.

I also like the fact that she doesn't want to step on any toes and it going to try and tread lightly.

Having Torri's role cut down to 14 episodes that does stink, but as other people have stated maybe there is something else going on. It's hard to say when you don't know the whole story...14 eps or 28 I will enjoy TH and AT just as much.

Night Spring
January 29th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Having Torri's role cut down to 14 episodes that does stink, but as other people have stated maybe there is something else going on. It's hard to say when you don't know the whole story...14 eps or 28 I will enjoy TH and AT just as much.
Once again, we don't know how many episodes Torri is going to be in. The number could be anywhere between 1 and 14 (I'm told that if an actor appears in more than 14 episodes of a season, they have to be credited as a main cast member). Also, the total number of episodes in a season of Atlantis has always been 20, and there has been no indication that this will change.

flynn1959
January 29th, 2007, 02:15 PM
i have to agree with shadowmaat here, to be honest it was sam who turned me off sg1 eventually when season 7 and 8 she became unrecognisable as the character she was in the earlier years, she became superSam! and hey it didnt matter if she made a mistake cos she'd get a pat on the head from o'neill and it would all be fine. gemini comes to mind. plus the seasons tended to focus too much around her.
i watched pegasus project this season because it had some atlantis stars in it and i still found that i hated the character of sam, especially when it came to her attitude to mckay.
so im really not looking forward to having her in atlantis, in any capacity.
ive disliked her in all of her appearances in atlantis, because her nor any other sg1 character fits in with atlantis.

AT's statement was nice, but she isnt in charge, she may have no intention of stepping on anyones toes but that doesnt mean TPTB dont have other plans.

all imo of course.

Great post. I agree AT will have no say in the way her character is written for Atlantis.

the old briar pipe
January 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Once again, we don't know how many episodes Torri is going to be in. The number could be anywhere between 1 and 14 (I'm told that if an actor appears in more than 14 episodes of a season, they have to be credited as a main cast member). Also, the total number of episodes in a season of Atlantis has always been 20, and there has been no indication that this will change.

So we know for sure that Torri will be in no more than 14 eps. That's fewer than Carson was in this season. :(

I will chime in that I found Rodney to be very strange in Pegasus Project. Yes, he and Amanda can pull off working together - I liked GUP - but when she's on her own turf, things change. I went into TPP expecting to like the SG1/SGA cast interaction, but I didn't. How odd. So now I'm a bit dubious, though of course as a person I find AT adorable, even more so after her comments.

So thank you, theonebluegecko, for grabbing that reply off Mallozzi's blog, but
Carter’s entering the mix will certainly make for some fun interactions between the two, but the last time I checked McKay was already in a happy relationship. doesn't particularly reassure me. Are we likely to ever see Katie again? Seems to me like she doesn't stand a chance as a personality or a recurring character against the force that is Carter acting upon McKay. But nice of Mallozzi to brush that aside as a ship question. :rolleyes:

So yay there will be more team eps, yay AT is a sensitive, respectful human being, but pardon if I'm not completely sold that tptb really have a good plan behind all these changes. But yes, I'm still going to watch. Who knows? It could turn out for the best. *tucks on rose-colored glasses*

(And yes, I'm in total denial about Sunday. Why do you ask?)

geewillie86
January 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I always had complete faith in Amanda Tapping to be a respectable person and exellent actress. I have no doubt that she will do a great job.

BUT...

She's had 10 years, and she'll get at least 2 movies, to present Carter as the loveable genius that she is.

We've only had 3 with the surviving lineup of Atlantis. No matter how little of a deal TPTB try to make it out to be, there are some creative gears switching, and it has already had an impact on the show. It may not make much of a difference, but we'll see.

I can't help but sense that Atlantis will be treated differently now that it has to sustain the franchise. I'm fairly sure they believe that Atlantis' success will have an effect on the success of the movies. Whenever I see business decisions being made in a show, I can't help but feel some trepidation.
I don't think that killing off Paul, reducing Torri's role, bringing Jewel onboard, and crossing carter over are decisions made in the interest of the storyline. They seem like business decisions to me.

Don't get me wrong: Things might work out to be great. However, it just won't be the same show. I'm very pleased with what I'm watching now (minus the sunday developments), and I hate to see it go down into the waste paper basket to service business decisions.

kymeric
January 29th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Shes soo Hawt :-D

PG15
January 29th, 2007, 04:58 PM
So thank you, theonebluegecko, for grabbing that reply off Mallozzi's blog, but doesn't particularly reassure me. Are we likely to ever see Katie again? Seems to me like she doesn't stand a chance as a personality or a recurring character against the force that is Carter acting upon McKay. But nice of Mallozzi to brush that aside as a ship question. :rolleyes:

Think again:

From Joe's Blog:

Anonymous #4 writes: “So when you say "the last time I checked McKay was already in a happy relationship" does that mean that we'll be seeing Katie Brown again in the future?”

The Magic 8 Ball says: “Signs points to yes.”.

the old briar pipe
January 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Think again:

From Joe's Blog:

Anonymous #4 writes: “So when you say "the last time I checked McKay was already in a happy relationship" does that mean that we'll be seeing Katie Brown again in the future?”

The Magic 8 Ball says: “Signs points to yes.”.

What, once more? We've had one comment and one ep per season. Play it again, Sam! :P

Personally, I adore Katie to itty bitty pieces, but I don't get my hopes up. I think we'll see her once more in S4 to continue to establish Rodney's new-and-improved but still woobie-factor-10 personality, and maybe the ferns will get a mention, and then it will be back to Carter in 14 eps.

I mean, unless they suddenly develop a burning need for a botanist in this new arc they keep promising us. ;)

Night Spring
January 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Talking about botanists, I want Parrish back! :D

the old briar pipe
January 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Talking about botanists, I want Parrish back! :D

*seconds!*

I want more than 30 seconds of my OTP on screen, thank you. ;)

PG15
January 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM
You seemed to say that we'll never see Katie again, and I provided evidence that proves you wrong.

That was the extent of our transaction. I never said anything about how often she'll be back. :p

jckfan55
January 29th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Personally, I would follow a Lt. Col. like Carter into battle, as she appears to have real emotions for her commrades, and the Col. killed was a friend of hers. I believe Shep and Jack would show emotion too, perhaps not in the way of tears, but perhaps something darker. Our men and women in battle are human beings, and I would hope they retain their humanity, even in a time of war, as Lt. Col. Carter did. As an aside, it did nothing to affect her performance as an officer.

Couldn't green ya, Lida, but I agree.

Whatever TPTB do with Carter in Atlantis, I know AT will give the best performance possible. And I'm cautiously optimistic that we may get some interesting character interactions out of this.

sherryw
January 29th, 2007, 06:34 PM

If you want to get specific about it, then I'll reiterate my point. No matter how many eps TH or AT are in I will watch. I left the number out this time. :weir:

the old briar pipe
January 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM
You seemed to say that we'll never see Katie again, and I provided evidence that proves you wrong.

That was the extent of our transaction. I never said anything about how often she'll be back. :p

:lol: Yes, you're right. I'm just snarking at tptb, a common sport around here.

ForeverSg1
January 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM

No, but we've seen Jack beat the crap out of someone in Red Sky. But I guess going off the deep in while in command is a lot better than showing any sort of weakness such as crying. He probably got a big slap on the back by all the men in his command for proving that he's a real Alpha male -- unlike Carter.

/end sarcasm

Mitchell82
January 29th, 2007, 09:09 PM
If you want to get specific about it, then I'll reiterate my point. No matter how many eps TH or AT are in I will watch. I left the number out this time. :weir:

My thoughts exactly.

Night Spring
January 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
No, but we've seen Jack beat the crap out of someone in Red Sky. But I guess going off the deep in while in command is a lot better than showing any sort of weakness such as crying. He probably got a big slap on the back by all the men in his command for proving that he's a real Alpha male -- unlike Carter
Thanks for reminding me that Jack isn't always perfect either. I certainly hope he didn't get a "big slap on the back" from his men for that one. So maybe I caught Sam on a bad day. But the crying was one of many things, some big, some small, that led me to lose my confidence in Sam's leadership. Obviously, this is all subjective, and many people see the same things and still see Sam as a competent leader. Perhaps some of the same things that make me think of Sam as a less than ideal military leader is the very same things others see as proof of her leadership skills. I was just trying to point out that when I tuned in in S10 after having skipped S9, I didn't notice any remarkable change in Sam, leadershipwise. She still had the same traits that I found less than ideal in S1-S8.