John Sheppard Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Sheppard Discussion/Appreciation

Since there's already a Thunk thread on Sheppard I think it's only fitting that we have a Discussion and Appreciation thread, as well. They sort of go hand in hand, really, just look at the lovely Daniel threads. And since Sheppard is my favorite on SGA (just as Daniel is on SG1) I think it's about time we start having some serious in depth discussions about him, too.

Oh, and the reason I'm putting this in the General Discussion folder and not the Atlantis one is because the Thunk thread is posted in this folder and I thought it best to keep them together. Somehow, it annoys me when related items are posted seperately. (It's just a little quirk of mine, heh. )

So, from what you've seen so far, what is it about him that makes you like the character?
    Favorite scenes? And why? (Make a big, stomping list if you want to. )

Just a quick note: This is an appreciation thread, so please no negative remarks in this thread, thank you.

Let the discussion begin.
    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Originally posted by Liv
    Or not.

Oh come on, surely there's got to be something you appreciate and is worth pointing out about the character, even though it's still early on in the season. Or maybe it is too early? Or maybe I should have posted this in the Atlantis folder after all... But - my quirkie thing, you see, it overwhelmed me and... Oh, never mind.

I'll just ramble on about Sheppard myself then, there's plenty of room for that.

I like the fact that (despite what many others seems to think) he isn't a carbon copy of Jack O'Neill. I think he has a very distinct voice of his own.

I like his wittyness and that he doesn't seem to take it too far. He can be serious when he has to be.

He's got a very nice smile. Sort of wry.

And I like his hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
      Um, yeah. Sheppard. He's, like, uh, cool. And he's not stupid. And I like that he cares about doing "the right thing". And... Yeah.

There. If that doesn't get the ball rolling...
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
        Um, yeah. Sheppard. He's, like, uh, cool. And he's not stupid. And I like that he cares about doing "the right thing". And... Yeah.
        *LOL* Piggy, have I told you lately that I love you?

*insert the sappy song lyrics here*

I should start an appreciation thread for you, instead.

Comment

Heh... I'd post in that one, too...
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I'll bite.

I really like Sheppard. Shep and McKay are my two favorite characters on Atlantis. Yeah, Shep's got a lot in common with Jack O'Neill (handsome, snarky, brave, irreverent, charming) but I think there are some subtle differences as well. He's younger and he's got better hair.

No, seriously, I don't think he has the tragedies in the past that Jack had so he's perhaps a little less jaded. He doesn't seem as confident in his leadership role as Jack -- perhaps because he just defaulted into it when Sumner went down. I also sense that Sheppard is the kind of guy that's easy to like but I'm not sure it's that easy to really become close to him.

I'm interested in learning more about Sheppard's history. Why no one important enough in his life to tell goodbye when he left Earth?? I don't think he necessarily has a tragic past but I think he may have a complicated past. I'm looking forward to finding out more about that. I think Sheppard also has a compassionate side that we haven't seen much of yet.

My favorite Sheppard moments are when he's bantering with McKay. Or snarking at "Steve". He really shines in the humorous situations. All in all he's a really cool guy.

Did I mention I liked his hair? Yeah it's kind of a bedhead look on occasion, but it's thick and dark and is the kind of hair you want to run your fingers thru.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Oooo a Sheppard Appreciation Thread...why did I not see this earlier? must be the lack of sleep.

Anyways just wanted to say I agree with you guys about Sheppard not being like O'neill. Sure at a first glance his snarky lines bring O'Neill to mind, but there is something about Sheppard that is different...

From what we've seen of him so far, he's thrown into a position of leadership, since Col Sumner(sp?) died. He doesn't really want to be the leader, but it's his responsiblity so he does his job. Also he's been known to rely on his instincts in decision making.

I also kinda thing he's a little bit cocky...not cocky in a over-confident way in general...but more like he's hot-and-he-knows-it kind of cocky. But i find that an endearing quality of his.

And that smile. I think fell in love with the man after he gave that great big smile when he said
              Spoiler:
              don't know if i need spoiler space but i'll do it anyway..."I shot him."

Oh yes and the hair!...how can you not love that hair!
              ~Athena

Comment

There is a thread in the Atlantis Season One folder for the character (there are threads there for all main characters) where you might find a lot of people talking. That would probably explain why this thread is so quiet. Of course there's room for a thread about the character and an appreciate thread as well, but since Atlantis is so young, you might find that there's not enough supporters to keep two threads going at this stage.
                sigpic

Comment

GateGipsy - Yeah, I get that. Really, I do. But I wanted something that was more in the vein of truly appreciating the character (much in the way the Daniel thread does) and not the "Yeah, he's all right, I guess" or the "What's with the voice, sounds funny" (which btw, I so don't get, I think he's got a wonderful voice).

Anyway, I thought Kes and Athenaktt got the ball rolling really well, so let's see where that takes us. I'm in no rush, whatsoever. *shrugs*

Originally posted by Kes
                  My favorite Sheppard moments are when he's bantering with McKay. Or snarking at "Steve". He really shines in the humorous situations. All in all he's a really cool guy.
                  Oh yes, the banter. Could listen to it all day long. Love all of his scenes with Steve. In fact, I wish they would have thrown even more scenes of them in there, because I think we see a bit more of a determined side of him when they're talking. He strikes me as a guy full of surprises.

Originally posted by Kes
                  I'm interested in learning more about Sheppard's history. Why no one important enough in his life to tell goodbye when he left Earth?? I don't think he necessarily has a tragic past but I think he may have a complicated past.
                  I agree, I really want to find out more about this, too.

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                  From what we've seen of him so far, he's thrown into a position of leadership, since Col Sumner(sp?) died. He doesn't really want to be the leader, but it's his responsiblity so he does his job. Also he's been known to rely on his instincts in decision making.
                  Yeah, I find this very interesting, he's dealing with the leadership role really well, I think. Although, I would have loved seeing him struggle a bit with the fact that he had to shoot Sumner. We see it in that moment, but it would have been nice to have a bit of a tag scene, as well.

Comment

oh sure absolutely - as I said there's always room for a thread like this. I was just a bit worried in case it was a bit slow for you - just putting forward reasons why! I'll no doubt be in here myself once Atlantis screens in the UK.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                      ).

Anyway, I thought Kes and Athenaktt got the ball rolling really well, so let's see where that takes us. I'm in no rush, whatsoever. *shrugs*
                      I'm sure we can try to keep the ball rolling. I haven't checked out the Daniel Appreciation thread yet...i know i'm a terrible Daniel fan. The shipper threads really take a lot out of a girl.

Yeah, I find this very interesting, he's dealing with the leadership role really well, I think. Although, I would have loved seeing him struggle a bit with the fact that he had to shoot Sumner. We see it in that moment, but it would have been nice to have a bit of a tag scene, as well.
                      yeah Tag scenes are nice to have, but maybe they had one and it was cut due to time. Or maybe they never had one...Then again we will never know.
                      ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                        oh sure absolutely - as I said there's always room for a thread like this. I was just a bit worried in case it was a bit slow for you - just putting forward reasons why! I'll no doubt be in here myself once Atlantis screens in the UK.

Oh yeah i forgot, Atlantis doesn't start until Oct in the UK.
                        ~Athena

Comment

Just felt the need to post about how nice it is that Sheppard's had two scenes already wherein he's reading. It adds a little something extra to his character that I really like, I have to say.

Tiny spoilers for Hide and Seek and Home:
                          Spoiler:
                          He seemed to be reading a 'thinner' book in this episode (the scene right before Halling knocked on his door), so *not* War and Peace then. At least, it looked that way to me. Maybe he sneaked an entire collection of books along with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                            Just felt the need to post about how nice it is that Sheppard's had two scenes already wherein he's reading. It adds a little something extra to his character that I really like, I have to say.

Tiny spoilers for Hide and Seek and Home:
                            Spoiler:
                            He seemed to be reading a 'thinner' book in this episode (the scene right before Halling knocked on his door), so *not* War and Peace then. At least, it looked that way to me. Maybe he sneaked an entire collection of books along with him.
                            Oh I was thinking the same thing! I was gonna comment about it here, but I forgot.
                            Spoiler:
                            But it was nice to see him reading a good literary classic like War and Peace. That only proves Sheppard is definately a smart guy. Then again if he wasn't smart he wouldn't have figured out that going back to earth was all an illusion.
                            ~Athena

Comment

sheppard and makay are my fav charaters

Comment

Working...
                              X