This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miscellaneous Questions.

Post some questions about science, (common basic stuff too) to answer some misconceptions.

1. Does printers print white ink on white paper or does it not print anything on the paper?

2. Over head projectors, when black is on the screen is that because no light is shining there, because i don't think there is black light that OHPs project.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

I don't see how these are Stargate related, but:

1. Computer printers don't print white, they print nothing.

2. Overhead projectors don't project black, they project nothing. You can't project black, because black is the absense of light.

Comment

well i made it for odd science related questions, i figured both but wasnt sure.
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

If your travelling the speed of light in an Aurora class ship and switch on the beams would you see the beam????

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
          If your travelling the speed of light in an Aurora class ship and switch on the beams would you see the beam????
          Hmm... interesting... I would have to say no, since not even light should be able to go faster than... light... itself... I suppose the source of the light would be lit, but wouldn't project a beam?

Comment

We would most definately see a beam traveling at the speed of light; such are the rules of special relativity.

The speed of light is a constant "c" in any reference frame.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              We would most definately see a beam traveling at the speed of light; such are the rules of special relativity.

The speed of light is a constant "c" in any reference frame.
              (Please note, I am not a physicist/scientist/zoologist in any way... I am however, very smart... well... kinda smart...)

But then the light that comprises your beam is travelling faster than the speed of light, is it not? Shouldn't that not be possible?

Comment

Shouldn't the light from the beam have an inertial speed?

Theoretically flying at lightspeed wouldn't be possibel anyway because you mass would increase dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                  Post some questions about science, (common basic stuff too) to answer some misconceptions.

1. Does printers print white ink on white paper or does it not print anything on the paper?
                  It doesnt print anything. The cartriges (Black, Blue and Green I think they are) dont combine to make white.

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                  2. Over head projectors, when black is on the screen is that because no light is shining there, because i don't think there is black light that OHPs project.
                  I'm quite sure the old ones dont have black but the new futuristic ones do

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Since you guys are on the topic of light, here's some cool stuff that will confuse the crap out of everyone related to the speed of light that you guys can discuss:

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ftl_sound.html

http://www.livescience.com/technolog..._backward.html

Best Stargate quote:
                    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                    Green is your friend.

Comment

last I heard, if you're going the speed of light and turn on beams, then the light will indeed go in front of you, as PG15 mentioned. However, there'll also be some happy happy time distortion, because, as others mentioned, it should be impossible. It's one of those conundrum things.

Comment

I think that, if you are traveling the speed of light, the beam of light will travel at double the speed of light, since the original speed is the speed of light. Or else everying would be black, no light would reach the retina of your eye.
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                          I think that, if you are traveling the speed of light, the beam of light will travel at double the speed of light, since the original speed is the speed of light. Or else everying would be black, no light would reach the retina of your eye.
                          What you mean is to the outside observer it would appear the beam of light is going 2c.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                            What you mean is to the outside observer it would appear the beam of light is going 2c.
                            yeah, well its just a thought. Like if you were to ride in a train, you are going the speed ofthe train. But when you walk in the direction that the train is going, you will now go faster than the train. Or Better yet a moving floor, like the ones in airports. If you walk on one normally you would still be going the same speed walking as if you were off. But you would move faster because of your already going the speed of the moving floor.
                            sigpic
                            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

No.

I'll reiterate one of the tenats (sp?) of Relativity: The speed of light is a constant c in ANY reference frame. You can be standing still, or travelling at 99% the speed of light, there will be no difference in the beam of light you see.

And you can't travel AT the speed of light; not unless you are light.

Comment

Working...
                              X