PDA

View Full Version : Fiction names

P-90_177
January 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ok I have no idea if this thread will be popular or whether it's been even done before but here we go.

As a writer I often have problems coming up with good names for characters. It's just something I can't seem to do and nothing ever sounds right.

So that's what this is for. Everyone puts up what they think would be a good name once there up people can browse through pick and blend names as they see fit or even get inspiration for their own.

Ok so I'll Start.

Johnathan Walker (I figure you can put practically any prefix you want with this name, Dr., Colonol, General, Captain and so on and so forth.)

Like I said I have no idea if this is going to work it's just one of those times where it seemed like a good Idea when I came up with it.

Skydiver
January 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
i'd grab a baby book if you want to choose a name that has a specific meaning.

or turn to the phone book. Pick someone's first name form one letter, someone else's for the last name

If i'm looking for alien names, i look at maps. there are some cool aliien sounding towns out there

Dutch_Razor
January 22nd, 2007, 04:53 AM
Grab Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic one and two, they both have name generators ;)

A good one it came up with was Kira Pressen, the others I don't remember.

Oh and a common name is Johnsen lol.

MerRu
January 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Grab Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic one and two, they both have name generators ;)

A good one it came up with was Kira Pressen, the others I don't remember.

Oh and a common name is Johnsen lol.

There's an on-line name generator, too:

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

It does long names, medium names, short names, names with apostrophes, etc.

Grayvorn
January 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Some names I've come up with for my stories are:

Mark Litian
Kari (& Teri) Whitman
Dr. Emma Laitburn
Rojan (a Jaffa)
Amy Watson
Corporal Jane Bennington

Jackie
January 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I use a baby name book and the phone book.

I also try to find old timer names that you don't hear anymore.

some I use;

Gideon
Galen
Basil
Adah
Yvonne
Vivian

Promethius30
January 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I like DR James T O'neill :D

phoenixfangor
January 25th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Babynames.com or I like to start with the character's background and find a name that fits that culture.