Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like Dresden Files won't be a good lead-in!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Dresden Files won't be a good lead-in!

Entertainment Weekly gives it a “C” and says:

… I'd wanted the series, based on the Jim Butcher novels, to be the next Buffy. Or at least the next Charmed. Instead it's an uneven fantasy series that's not eerie enough to be a culty favorite (The X-Files) or goofy enough to be a guilty pleasure (Sabrina the Teenage Witch). …

USA Today gives it three stars (out of four) and says:

… All that's missing is the blond vampire-slaying girlfriend — well, that and that magical mix of first-rate wit, chills and drama that made the Buffy-universe the gold standard for such shows. … Like Harry, the show has yet to fully master its tricks. There are a few decent jolts, but nothing is truly frightening or even that threatening. And while the show can be amusing, it's never exactly side-splitting. A wonderful wizard? No. But a good one, and with no angels in sight, good may have to be good enough.

The New York Times says:

… in televised form, at least, it has the feeling of pizza with pineapple on it — which is to say, not actually for grown-ups. Wizardry, in the end, is best left in the hands of its most famous interpreter.

The Chicago Tribune says:

… There’s something generally appealing about “The Dresden Files” … but this new show probably will do best with a certain slice of the television audience, one that feasted on the likes of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel.” … Much of the show’s appeal stems from its lead actor, Paul Blackthorne, whose leading-man handsomeness is scuffed around the edges, giving Dresden the right mixture of sex appeal and private-eye weariness. The wizard’s also got a ghostly live-in pal named Bob (Terrence Mann), who can shimmer away - through solid walls - when visitors turn up; the dryly witty Bob may be my favorite character so far, and I hope we get more from him as the series progresses. …

The San Francisco Chronicle says:

… Having seen two episodes, "The Dresden Files" is currently mediocre, a series searching for the right tone, seemingly unsure of itself and all the while not quite selling itself to the non sci-fi crowd. … its struggles seem oddly self-inflicted. … The scripts are sometimes nuanced (a bit snarky, a bit creepy), but not unique. The acting is good, but not enough for viewers to be stunned and won over. And the premise seems familiar, if not warmed over. For mainstream appeal, there's something off about the series, something not immediately catchy. Perhaps Blackthorne, who tries mightily to carry this series, needs to be tougher or darker.

The Detroit Free Press gives it two stars (out of four) and says:

… based on the opening two episodes screened for review, "The Dresden Files" is cooler in concept than reality. As a crime procedural, the series is certainly a more accessible than the exceptionally tangled terrain of serialized "Battlestar." But even with Blackthorne's occasionally engaging portrayal of Harry Dresden, this whodunit lacks the wit and imagination that might transform it into something special. We get formula escapism and little more.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says:

… a little bit "Angel," a little bit "The X-Files" and not enough of either. … There's impressive talent here, so let's hope this wizard can conjure some mojo fast. Otherwise, fans will stamp "The Dresden Files" too dreary to watch …

The Hollywood Reporter says:

… combines first-rate storytelling techniques with equally impressive special effects. The result: a series that is brooding, seductive and smart. … Blackthorne is in his element playing Dresden. His slick looks and slow-moving manner give him a sophistication that the character needs. … s beautiful to watch as it is intelligent and witty to hear. …

Variety says:

… diverting … Silly in places, series nevertheless fits nicely alongside other potions and tonics in the basic cabler's pantry. … a sort-of procedural, the kind of undemanding hocus-pocus that goes down easy…

basically... most of them think it sucks... which isn't that big surprise around here i suppose.
    VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

im not surprised

Comment

I'm not to surprised either. What makes me mad is SciFi put BSG on the same night as Dresden witch if anything is going to lead to lower ratings for BSG and possibly leading to BSG getting canceled witch stinks.
        Last edited by AJZ; 21 January 2007, 09:22 AM.
        Actor
        [/URL]Stargate Worlds Community Website

Comment

Originally posted by AJZ View Post
          I'm not to surprised either. What makes me made is SciFi put BSG on the same night as Dresden witch if anything is going to lead to lower ratings for BSG and possibly leading to BSG getting canceled witch stinks.
          yap. i don't see how something like this should help BSG gain viewers ... i'll check it out, but it doesn't sound that interesting.

Eureka at least had interesting start, until it became totally predictable, you could set clock and know what will be happening in "new" episode - in town full of geniuses, local sheriff saves the day ... every day
          But it had it's own charm.
          VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
            yap. i don't see how something like this should help BSG gain viewers ... i'll check it out, but it doesn't sound that interesting.

Eureka at least had interesting start, until it became totally predictable, you could set clock and know what will be happening in "new" episode - in town full of geniuses, local sheriff saves the day ... every day
            But it had it's own charm.
            Totally agree with you 100% I'll check out Dresden tonight and give it a chance but I don't have very high expectations for it at all.

And I agree about EUreka to I started watching when it first aired and thought it has promise. But then the episodes got way to predictable. Anyways we'll see how that ends up when it comes back for season 2,

On top of that SciFi is planning on airing a new series called "painkiller Jane" named after there crappy saturday movie witch stunk IMO anyways they have some really bad programs on SciFi lately. The only ones I like are SG-1 (witch they canceled) SG-A witch is most likely gonna be canceled in season 4, and BSG witch their trying hard to cancel currently.
            Actor
            [/URL]Stargate Worlds Community Website

Comment

Ya, i watched "Painkiller Jane" and first thing that popped into my mind was - Dark Angel, but very cheap and no Jessica Alba (translated - it sux).

VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Agreed - I wasn't planning on watching DF tonight. And after reading those reviews, I'm definitely not going to do so.
                Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                sigpic

Comment

Still definitly looking forward to this- hec, Buffy started good but didn't get great until over halfway through it's first season. You really can't judge a show by it's pilot anymore.

Comment

Lots of crappy shows seem to rate high, so bad or not, I wouldn't count out its numbers quite yet.
                    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

I think Ereika is arather boring show where the same thing happens every episode and most of the time it's not funny.

That said it's ahuge hit for the Channel.

Comment

Well, I'll be recording it because my Pats will still be playing when it starts, but I never take mainstream media reviews to heart. If Locus or somebody like that had panned it, then maybe I'd take a less than positive view into my viewing, but EW? Hardly.

I'll see what I think about it after BSG.
                        Thanks!
                        Jordan

my page
                        My LJ
                        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Personally I find it very convenient. I've been looking forward to seeing Dresden Files for months (although I don't expect staggeringly brilliant results) and having BSG on afterwards saves me the hassle to remembering TWO premiere dates.

Question: are people here bashing DF because they honestly think it's going to be bad, or because it isn't Stargate? And for all that people love to sneer down their noses at people for saying that S4 of Atlantis is going to suck and tell them they should wait and see and can't POSSIBLY know beforehand what it's going to be like... how do you justify that with turning around and saying a brand new series is going to suck?

Comment

Critics bashed Star Wars too. Their opinions generally don't mean much to me. Actually, I take that back. Usually if a critic bashes a show or film, the odds that I'll like it just went up.

I'm looking forward to DF tonight.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve View Post
                              Critics bashed Star Wars too. Their opinions generally don't mean much to me. Actually, I take that back. Usually if a critic bashes a show or film, the odds that I'll like it just went up.

I'm looking forward to DF tonight.
                              Yup- critics bashed all over The Fountain as well- and that movie was brilliant! Really can't trust what they say- plus to give a series a fair shot you really need to see more along the lines of five eps. Usually. Occasionally something is so blatently awful it takes five minutes.

I expect Dresden to be enjoyable- and if it's beyond that, then yay!

Comment

Working...
                              X