• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate... Ringworld... Gateworld!!!

The original thread where it started.

Personnal speculation.

SGC uses a ZPM to dial another galaxy.
    SG-1 walks through.
    Exterior. Dawn. Plateau, midway between a savanna and an exotic jungle. The flora has a global copper hue. Plants are rather yellow, orange, red or brown.
    There is a temple made of metal. But all the surface seen in the camera's frustrum is covered with plants. There is an entrance, leading to a dark hall.
    It's impossible to see a thing down there. It seems like there are certain surface that reflect the weak rays coming from the outside.
    Suddenly, we hear the sound of chevrons engaging. Soon, all of them switch on, and a KAWOOSH lightens the large room.
    A stargate, embedded within an ark of metal, has been activated. Immediately, the whole structure comes to life, and massive pillars of light cut through the darkness like arrows, illuminating the temple's inner chamber with a smooth amber tint.
    Fast forward >>
    SG-1 walks out of the temple. They look around, and see that the temple's structure is like a massive monolithic high tech building, but not ancient looking. The top has not been covered by plants.
    But this is nothing to the sight that awaits them behind the wall of magnificient trees:

The stargate being used as a ringworld is what I'd kill to see.
    However, I'll avoid the name "starring". Gatering, or Gateworld maybe, sounds better.
    Oh, just realized that this is the name of a certain website.
    Well, why not?

That would be the entire leading arc of a new spin-off.
    What the story would be?
    Say this massive stargate was once built by an advanced species, and for once, not the Ancients.
    The people of thatat species were explorers. One day, they had to leaved their former galaxy, but only after having built a giant stargate.
    Then, they splitted into several tribes, each one heading to a given galaxy.

The plan was that once each tribe would settle in a galaxy, they'd start gathering materials to build a new gateworld in the middle of each new galaxy.
    Certain tribes, since stepping inside massive galaxies, would have decided to build more of those gateworlds, all of the same size as the original one left in the galaxy all tribes left. Those multiple extra gateworlds would be placed at equidistant points in the galaxy.

Those massive structures would allow each tribe to move large fleets of ships at once over a large transgalactic distance (since it seems that what really draws power is the distance you try to cover with a wormhole and the time you keep the wormhole open, and not the size of the wormhole nor the amount of stuff you toss into).

You'd find plenty of different small cities, temples and vast wild zones. There would also be plenty of ships to be found on most of those gateworlds, and some really amazing tech, and of course defense weapons, both on the internal and external layer.

Technical description

Gateworld cross section

Each gateworld has its own artificial sun.
    The night and day circle is assured by a coronal shield, which stands a hundred of kilometers above the inner surface.
    That shield is rotating around the ring's axis, and stops all light every thousand kilometers. This shield also helps to maintain the atmosphere.
    This shiels also absorb the energy from the sun to power up several systems.
    From time to time, several powerful beams are fired, from various points on the ring, straight into the artificial sun.

The life zone is where, as you guess, the artificial biosphere resides. The stargate section is what constitutes the system that is analogous to every other stargate. It's actually thicker than the life zone. The life zone's shield is not extending beyond the inner surface of the stargate section.
    The dots represent the location of the event horizon. The chevrons the orientation of the stargate, and thus the way the kawoosh goes. The artificial sun is located behing the stargate's event horizon.

What happens when the gateworld is activated is that the opaque event horizon cuts the sun beams. If it was for the caustic effect due to the wormhole connection, the gateworld would be plunged into a deep night.
    Now that the gate is activated, you have to imagine what happens in a dark room when a stargate is activated, but this time at the scale of the ringworld.

There is just a problem with the sun. It's about its position. I came with a version with the sun being behind the event horizon, so it wouldn't get eaten by the kawoosh, but it would mean that entire regions of the life zone would never get directly lit, which is kinda bad for a flora.
    There was the version with the kawoosh happening on the other side of the gateworld, but it was not as impressive as it is now, because the kawoosh seen from the life zone is what makes it beautiful, and seeing ships take off from the ground and directly fly into the giant pool is much better than seeing the ship leaving the ring to go all the way round and enter through the other side.

So the choice is both artsy and logical.

I have to find solutions. That's just going to make me rely on a very advanced technobabble trick to get past that issue.
    What could happen when the gate is activated?

- The sun is phased out until the gate closes.
    - The sun is swallowen by several vortices. This formes sort of multiple tornadoes that suck the sun's hot matter and store it into the superstructure. Once the gate is closed, the same vortices send the hot matter back where it was, at the center of the ring, and the sun reforms.
    - The sun is displaced behind the event horizon until the gate closes.
    - The sun is hyperspace away, until the gate closes. There's a problem though, since the sun does not have its own hyperdrive, and thus far, there is no evidence that something can travel in hyperspace without a hyperdrive.
    - The sun is definitively destroyed. Bad choice. I would have to find something to replace the sun.

Or there is the version where the gateworld orbits an existing sun, and spins on itself:

The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

looks interesting

Comment

Well, the builders of the ring would definetly have to be the Furlings, that's for sure. Not sure about the rest though. Whatever i think of, the sentence "Halo already did it" pops into my mind.
      "A witty remark proves nothing" - Voltaire

Comment

And we could get a Krull armor and paint it green, then run around the ring and kill Aliens !

Comment

WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds Like the Game Halo to me, & that picture looks like it came from a halo. although is a pretty good idea but will never fly!

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
          pps = power per second
          The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
          xfire = zpm
          [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
          http://m2kclan.com
          vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
          port: 3785
          P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
          halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
          Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Forerunners built that their technology all right!!!

Comment

Isnt that Halo?

Hmm...Maybe the Ancients didnt build the stargates...and when we get to the new galaxy the new enemy will emerge...THE FLOOD ...then the sgc reveals its new hightech armor...the MJOLNIR armor system
              Visit my Website

Comment

Sheesh. The latest thing I hoped for was to see that thread invaded by Halo ******s.
                Don't you know anything else besides Halo? Do you truly think Halo invented the concept of a mini ringworld?

Let's get started with accessible information.

And please, Consider Phlebas.

Oh, what? Bungie not only ripped off the entire concept of the mini ringworld, but the plot of a spaceship crashing on it as well!?
                Gee, people, read books. Halo is not the be and end all of science fiction for crying out loud.
                It comes down to a question of Culture I believe.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Wasnt really thinking it was a rip off Halo personally since I was aware of the concept before Halo came into the gaming world.

Its an... interesting concept though not sure about the idea of another race building something like a stargate beyond the Ancients which seemed to have been their monopoly on personal transportation devices. Don't know if the Asgard or the Nox had anything similar though the Furlings did have something equally impressive.

Not saying its outside the realm of possibility of another race building something like the stargate just that anything relating to a circular shaped device that opened a mini-wormhole seemed to have been built by the Ancients. Still, its a refreshing change from 'the Ancients created everything' as certain people like to believe.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I'd much prefer they discovered a Discworld, instead, just to see how the scientists react to a flat planet being supported on the backs of giant elephants which are supported on the back of a giant space turtle.

Comment

Nice idea but kind of hALOISH. aNDF I KNOW THE idea has been around b4 Halo but now that Halo is mainstream that idea has been takern.

I also like another idea i saw in a Next Generation Episode of something called a Dieson Sphere! Inwhich a large metal ord is built around a sun with the ords innerr walls supporting the planets surface.
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me
                      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Yes, Star Trek invented the Dyson Sphere.
                        I think Dyson was the name of a vulcan scientist, right?

Comment

yeah, i can remember that episode/series of episodes. I remember something in voyager about that too, i think.
                          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                          Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                            Yes, Star Trek invented the Dyson Sphere.
                            I think Dyson was the name of a vulcan scientist, right?
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson

He doesn't look like a Vulcan.

Comment

Originally posted by hyzmarca View Post
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson

He doesn't look like a Vulcan.
                              What, you mean I was wrong all these years, that Star Trek didn't invent it?
                              But who cares? Star Trek is mainstream!!11!1!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X