Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teams of 4-5? What happened to OVERWHELMING FORCE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teams of 4-5? What happened to OVERWHELMING FORCE?

It does not make sense for the SGC to still be sending out teams of 4. Aren't they at war? Wouldn't you expect a dozen or so Marines or Army Rangers tagging along, especially with 2 Lt. Colonels to command. Aside from priors and Adria Tau'ri soldiers are at least as effective as Ori soldiers.

The American policy is (at least "was") to use overwhelming force, did Hayes, O'Niell, and Landry take a page out of Bush jr.'s book?

Teams of 4 made sense for s1-9.5, because it was rarely an all-out war with the Gould, and small teams were optimal for exploration. But now there's a full scale war with the Ori, and ground offensive is the only area they can compete with them.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    It does not make sense for the SGC to still be sending out teams of 4. Aren't they at war? Wouldn't you expect a dozen or so Marines or Army Rangers tagging along, especially with 2 Lt. Colonels to command. Aside from priors and Adria Tau'ri soldiers are at least as effective as Ori soldiers.

The American policy is (at least "was") to use overwhelming force, did Hayes, O'Niell, and Landry take a page out of Bush jr.'s book?

Teams of 4 made sense for s1-9.5, because it was rarely an all-out war with the Gould, and small teams were optimal for exploration. But now there's a full scale war with the Ori, and ground offensive is the only area they can compete with them.
    Yeah but there is alos something called playing it safe. Our weapons are actually eeffective agianst ori soldiers (Quest 2, and Line in the Sand). However we are still pretty powerless againt Adria and her priors not to mention the ori themelves and their ships so it would be a big mistake to jut send out more "lambs" to the slaughter.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I don't recall why they chose 4 as the magic number. Prob. a better way to jugle charcters for the series.

I believe in military units--they would be a "fire team" and that would employ 4-5 persons. Airforce has a special service but I don't know the peticulars on that one.
      Airforce could place them as a section: 2-20 persons I suppose.

here is a helpful link from wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_units
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

If it was all-out war, then the information would be released to the public and take 6 or 7 years of sanctions from the UN before we could actually send more than 4 per SG team.
        I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Originally posted by Dromag67 View Post
          If it was all-out war, then the information would be released to the public and take 6 or 7 years of sanctions from the UN before we could actually send more than 4 per SG team.
          LOL yeah bureocrats at their finest!
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dromag67 View Post
            And then the UN would still complain about it.

a time to mourn

Comment

There are times when you need a club, and there are times when you need a scalpel. SG teams perform precise, focused, and fast operations on enemy territory and then fall back. Stargate Command has almost never engaged forces in any sizeable ground combat operation, as it makes for an especially tricky proposition.

For the most part, they don't want to get caught in ground wars on the other guy's turf where they have only one escape route and a single supply line that their force would entirely depend on. The one exception has been 'The Seige' where a company of Marines was sent to hold Atlantis against the Wraith. Other than that, all operations are quick in-and-out jobs. They just don't do capture and hold.

a time to mourn

Comment

Ever heard of the US Navy SEALS, Delta Force, Green berets, snipers, the principle of commandos?

Comment

Well, if there is more than 5 soldiers (for example 15), they aren't so invisible than 4, which are pretty good in stealth. If mission needs stealth.
                  Feel free to check my homepage (sorry its finnish): Atrain Design

Comment

some teams have more then 4 anyway. in some episodes you see up to about 6 i reckon.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

SG-1 isn't a full blown combat team. They scout, meet people, etc, and fight if they have too. If more fire power is needed, there are larger SG teams that are called upon. I don't recall the number, but the Marine team is a combat team, perhaps platoon sized.
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

they only send in teams for back up, right now they doing reconnaise for the stargate command for intel on the ori

using overwhelming force liturally means to locate the ori invaders and kill them using lots amounts of marines and soldiers, when the teams are in trouble thats when they call in marines and soldiers for additional back up
                        sigpic

Comment

They can't use what they don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                            SG-1 isn't a full blown combat team. They scout, meet people, etc, and fight if they have too. If more fire power is needed, there are larger SG teams that are called upon. I don't recall the number, but the Marine team is a combat team, perhaps platoon sized.
                            SG-3 Marines. They are the ones called in to back up SG-1 and even go through the gate with them at times. SG-3 Rocks. STill a four man team but with big guns. I have also heard of them calling in two SG Teams to back up SG-1.
                            I think SG-12 has been wiped out twice now.
                            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

in heroes there was a few sg teams wasnt there?

Comment

Working...
                              X