PDA

View Full Version : gou'ald pre-Unas Intelligent or Not?

Croatoan
September 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM
There is a theory circulating that the gou'ald symbiotes trapped under the surfaces of the waters of their home world may of developed intelligence prior to blending the first time.

What is your theory on the state of the gou'ald symbiote's intelligence before their first hosts were taken.

aAnubiSs
September 5th, 2004, 08:16 AM
I think the Goa'uld became intelligent when they first took a host, then their intelligence has evolved as they've taken new races as hosts. This would also explain why some Goa'uld seem to be dumber then others (from a queen without the same intelligence)

Drewbert
September 5th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I think the goa'uld first evolved from a relatively benign parasite (or even more likely symbiote, considering their healing abilities) and eventually began to control the host.
It's the only way that makes sense to me from an evolutionary standpoint.

puddlejumper747
September 5th, 2004, 08:59 AM
I'm with aAnubiSs on this one, but I also think we're probably never really going to know for sure.

These snake things with no intelligence blended with big dumb unas creatures who seemed to possess basic animal/pre-civilzation intelligence, yet for some reason, they were able to figure out how to use the gate and then develop FTL ships and come to Earth, pose as our gods, and seed the MW galaxy with human life.

Given plenty of time, yes. The first Goa'uld that blended would have only had the original intelligence of their host, but after several generations of discovering their new ability to blend, they and their descendants would basically try to take as many hosts as possible, in order to gain the greatest amount of knowledge. For a while, they probably just lived on the planet, knowing nothing else. Then they found the Stargate, and someone came through. They took that person as a new host, and suddenly the entire universe was opened up to them in ways they had never imagined, and they took advantage of it. Every passing generation only grew more and more intelligent. From the new hosts they learned of many, many, new things, including technology. In their parasitic nature, they took other's knowledge and made it their own. Enter the Goa'uld. :D

Iskandra
September 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Hmmm....I got one of the props from that show, a barbecue symbiote tail-end (the one that Chaka had on his stick...not the head that Daniel didn't want) - it doesn't show any signs of intelligence :D

No, honestly - the ones in the water didn't seem to be intelligent at all - they were more like piranhas trying to catch food.

Croatoan
September 5th, 2004, 10:26 AM
We have seen time and time again in the show where humans ignorance and self confidence has ruled out the possibility of intelligence in a manner we do not understand and time after time again it has bit the SGC in the ass.

Genetic memory is not something that would of just happened after the first host. Its something that would of happened while they lived under water too. Passing on the memories of the previous goa'uld symbiotes.

If you utilize human evolution and other examples from SG-1 as a ruler by which to judge una's evolution which we know by canon was the first goa'uld host. It is my belief we can saftley say that the unas were quite dumber possibly even unaware and instinctual like our primate prediscesors......its quite possible the earliest una's taken host were only intelligent because of the gua'uld portion of their physiology.

Think of it as a brain being implanted in a robot. The goa'uld now gains the ability to manipulate its enviornment.

Our study of biology and science has clearly said that intelligent life on other worlds if it exists will be non humanoid because of the improbabiliy of parallel evolution. Why is it so hard to grasp that the symbiote's possessed a developed intellect and intelligence simply from being self aware and possibly with a evolved sense of communication?

aschen
September 5th, 2004, 01:32 PM
While some of the Goa'uld intelligence theories hold a little water, they don't ever mention how the most broad amount of Goa'ulds become intelligent. This is why I believe that when the Goa'uld really started to advance, the queens took over hosts, stole their intelligence and passed it on to "her" offspring. :D

Sy~
September 5th, 2004, 02:59 PM
My theory is that they where visited by an alien spicies thousands of years ago (And Im really not talking Anciants here because they're everywhere damit)

that these aliens discovered the Goald ability to blend, and powerful healing qualities, and they themselves in an experiment that went badly wrong created the first highly evolved Goald. Later, perhaps an uprising occured and the Goald with their knowlage expanded into an army quickly using their geenome cousens (Unas) as hosts creating an army.

Now my crazy barmy theory is (And a pretty dam good plot here kids) is that those aliens were in fact the furlings. But hey I am crazy, and plan on consuming rather alot of wine this evening.

Sy~

Lugal
September 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
I don't think they were human level intelligance. In my other theory about the goa'uld evolution, I said that the climate changed and the goa'uld were forced into smaller and more crowded environments, where they evolved from preditor to parasite. I think they evolved to be clever and vicious. These characteristics could have been passed down by genetically, possibly as precursors to genetic memory.

I think they were intelligant, possibly as smart as chimps or dolphins, but didn't really advance to high intelligance until after they took hosts. Due to genetic memory each generation would have gained intelligence faster to each generation of Unas.

I think the cruelty came about because once they gained their higher intelligance they realized they were taking over other sentient life forms, they rationalized it by believing they were superior to all ofther life forms, an arrogance that was compounded with gentic memory. Only a few faced up to that fact and became the Tok'ra.

puddlejumper747
September 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I think they were intelligant, possibly as smart as chimps or dolphins, but didn't really advance to high intelligance until after they took hosts. Due to genetic memory each generation would have gained intelligence faster to each generation of Unas.
I think the cruelty came about because once they gained their higher intelligance they realized they were taking over other sentient life forms, they rationalized it by believing they were superior to all ofther life forms, an arrogance that was compounded with gentic memory. Only a few faced up to that fact and became the Tok'ra.
That's a very good theory. I would agree with both of those ideas! :cool:

Ancient 1
September 5th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Well, they were smart enough to realize they weren't going anywhwere if they didn't get out of the water!

Croatoan
September 6th, 2004, 08:27 AM
While some of the Goa'uld intelligence theories hold a little water, they don't ever mention how the most broad amount of Goa'ulds become intelligent. This is why I believe that when the Goa'uld really started to advance, the queens took over hosts, stole their intelligence and passed it on to "her" offspring. :D

Very important factor here.........ONLY the queen possesses the ability to reproduce or to give its genetic memory away and in "cure" we find out its something they do of their own conscience will.

There for knowledge learned by say anubis who is not a queen would not be passed on unless he sat and explained it all to a queen who then produced offspring.

THis also brings up the most important fact......all gua'uld are not created equal......offspring of different queens would be more or less intelligent then those of another.

Croatoan
September 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Very important factor here.........ONLY the queen possesses the ability to reproduce or to give its genetic memory away and in "cure" we find out its something they do of their own conscience will.

There for knowledge learned by say anubis who is not a queen would not be passed on unless he sat and explained it all to a queen who then produced offspring.

THis also brings up the most important fact......all gua'uld are not created equal......offspring of different queens would be more or less intelligent then those of another.

Just thought of something huge!!!

If the queens have to pass on the knowledge knowingly and willfully.........its possible that the gua'uld didnt pass on their genetic memory until they became selfaware. In which case a society under the water of simply trapped gua'uld may of not been quite as advanced as we theorized.

We know that in evolution new biological traites occur to allow the strongest to survive and those mutations occur over thousands if not millions of years. We also know many species forget how to do things they do not do on a regular basis and most species scese to do things that dont directly help them in their everday life..........genetic memory would of been uselss until the goa'uld aquired some sort of advanced intelligence. Even if they did they would be passing on nothing more than advanced instincts.

Lord Zedd
September 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I think the Goa'uld became intelligent when they first took a host, then their intelligence has evolved as they've taken new races as hosts. This would also explain why some Goa'uld seem to be dumber then others (from a queen without the same intelligence)

I agree with what aAnubiSs said. A Goa'uld wouldn't leave out of the water if he couldn't get a host so after lost of hosts they started stealing technololgy

LordAnubis
September 8th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I agree with what aAnubiSs said. A Goa'uld wouldn't leave out of the water if he couldn't get a host so after lost of hosts they started stealing technololgy
You're wrong of course and are speculating.

Lord Zedd
September 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
You're wrong of course and are speculating.
I'm not wrong Why would a Goa'uld symbiot leave the water.To commit suicide perhaps?and they stole the technology How can I be wrong?It is you who is wrong.It's my opion,not yours !!!I'm not speculating !!!NOT everybody has the same opion like you do !!!

Ancient 1
September 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Now, now. Calm down. Is it petty arguments like these that make all you system lords so mean and grouchy?