Uses for Ori power crystals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uses for Ori power crystals

The power crystals in the Ori 'rifles' are of equal power to two Naquadah reactors, what's up with that, and also, wouldn't it have been useful to have taken all the downed soldiers weaponry, as both weapons and power supplys?

They could collect and collect, and build a makeshift ZPM looky-likey, only not quite as powerful. But cool none the less.
    "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
    Woman:What
    Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

They're not of equal power. The Ori power crystals were only enough to sustain the field for several seconds. As we saw, Naquadah generators can sustain for definitely more than half a day, probably a lot more.

Comment

true but it is still a handly little power source. Kinda like naquadah versions of AAA batteries perhaps?
      sigpic

Comment

Or the AAA version of a ZPM, Staff weapon power nodes are the AAA of the Naquadah generators. These are crysteline, ZPMlike.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

I stand corrected
          sigpic

Comment

It makes sense though. Just like we could use the modules from staff weapons. I quite liked seeing the power of the Ori staff weapons.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Well I think would gather as many ori weapons for several reasons such as.

a] study of weapons and how they function.
              b] Building better armor against the weapon.
              c] study of power supply.

However not sure how many of those weapons we could have got hold of. For example in that episode after the ori soldiers got killed the village was taken over by ori. Did the ori soldiers that survived take the weapons of the ori soldiers that died? Did any of the villagers, stargate personal take any weapons and hid them during the ori takeover?
              http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

Heh, remember that with a little bit of fiddling Ancient O'neill made a 'ZPM' level of power output come out of a staff weapon energy source...

Comment

There is a big difference between capacity and (for lack of a better word) Current.

A power device has both capacity and a sort-of limit for how much energy you can extract from it at any given time.
                  (This limit isn’t a exact point (atleast not for current tech), it’s like this.. the quicker you try and draw energy out of the device the hotter it gets and less of it's energy you get out (the rest goes into the heating), it may also explode

Some devices have low capacity but can supply large amounts of energy very quickly. Others have large capacity but can’t supply it all at once. Ideally you want a power device, which has a lot of capacity and can supply all of its energy at once if necessary

A good analogy is starting cars. A single good quality AA battery has enough energy to start a regular size car engine once or twice.
                  (3.5 second cranking (one or two starts), at 358 Amps and taking into account 100% efficient 1.5->12v conversion).
                  But you could never draw that much power out of an AA battery that quickly. It has the power, but it can’t supply it quick enough.

So in the stargate universe a naquada reactor is obviously able to produce huge amounts of power, but it has a limitation, it can't supply it all at once, where as the more advanced ori or ancient energy storage device’s can.
                  So a tiny ori crystal power cell might only contain a small amount of energy, (The ori equivalent of an AA battery), but it was able to supply it all at once to power merlins device for a few seconds
                  Last edited by Psi; 18 January 2007, 04:14 PM.
                  SPACE MACGYVER!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45YqOin2sg

Comment

Originally posted by Psi View Post
                    There is a big difference between capacity and (for lack of a better word) Current.

A power device has both capacity and a sort-of limit for how much energy you can extract from it at any given time.
                    (This limit isn’t a exact point (atleast not for current tech), it’s like this.. the quicker you try and draw energy out of the device the hotter it gets and less of it's energy you get out (the rest goes into the heating), it may also explode

Some devices have low capacity but can supply large amounts of energy very quickly. Others have large capacity but can’t supply it all at once. Ideally you want a power device, which has a lot of capacity and can supply all of its energy at once if necessary

A good analogy is starting cars. A single good quality AA battery has enough energy to start a regular size car engine once or twice.
                    (3.5 second cranking (one or two starts), at 358 Amps and taking into account 100% efficient 1.5->12v conversion).
                    But you could never draw that much power out of an AA battery that quickly. It has the power, but it can’t supply it quick enough.

So in the stargate universe a naquada reactor is obviously able to produce huge amounts of power, but it has a limitation, it can't supply it all at once, where as the more advanced ori or ancient energy storage device’s can.
                    So a tiny ori crystal power cell might only contain a small amount of energy, (The ori equivalent of an AA battery), but it was able to supply it all at once to power merlins device for a few seconds
                    Fantastic info, thanks. I also wondered about the crystals in LiTS, but my question was not so much energy or capacitance, but the question of how a crystal can act as a battery? Can crystals store and supply energy? I am aware of piezoelectricity and pyroelectricity - is this the way all the crystals I see powering ships and other devices are presumed to work? Not nitpicking, just curious and trying to figure it out.
                    Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                    Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                      Fantastic info, thanks. I also wondered about the crystals in LiTS, but my question was not so much energy or capacitance, but the question of how a crystal can act as a battery? Can crystals store and supply energy? I am aware of piezoelectricity and pyroelectricity - is this the way all the crystals I see powering ships and other devices are presumed to work? Not nitpicking, just curious and trying to figure it out.
                      Yes. It's not sure or verified in RL yet, but it's theorized by some branches of science that crystal latices may carry some quantity of zero point energy in them. I think that's what all the crystal power sources in SG work, they draw ZPE from crystals with different degrees of success and power obtainment depending on how knowledgeable a species is over the others that use similar power technology.
                      Awesome sig made by *E*K*R*. Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jburrows View Post
                        Well I think would gather as many ori weapons for several reasons such as.

a] study of weapons and how they function.
                        b] Building better armor against the weapon.
                        c] study of power supply.

However not sure how many of those weapons we could have got hold of. For example in that episode after the ori soldiers got killed the village was taken over by ori. Did the ori soldiers that survived take the weapons of the ori soldiers that died? Did any of the villagers, stargate personal take any weapons and hid them during the ori takeover?
                        a-i guessing they know how thay fuction since its similar to a jaffa staff weapon

b-SG teams dont wear that much armour and i dont they see why they kull suits

c- the power supply would obviously be different, but our power supply are better

its most likely the ori fled without their dead soldiers weapons and the villiage took it for future defence, stargate personel might of taken some but maybe not since they would of took jafffa staff weapons when the goauld was running the galaxy.

but i think they will collect ori weapons since they took zats
                        sigpic

Comment

The naquadah generators probably deliver too much voltage, seeing as the Ori power crystal is made for a device like this.

I think the generator has conversion issues

Comment

Originally posted by Psi View Post

ARG Power = rate that energy is delivered. The naquada reactor is able to produce large amount of energy, but the ori crystals deliver a lot more power. This is the proper terminology. I just get pissed when people get this wrong...

Comment

Working...
                            X