No announcement yet.

George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire to be turned into a series on HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire to be turned into a series on HBO

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Wow. I just finished reading what's finished of the series and never thought it could or would be turned into a TV show. With any other network I would be very sceptical of the outcome, but HBO could very well pull this off. One season per book sounds very reasonable although I wouldn't have minded Martin writing more than one script. Well, can't really fault him for concentrating on the actual books.

A thousand things could of course go wrong with this project and the fact that this is the first TV project for the showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss is somewhat concerning. Since this is HBO, though, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and am really looking forward to the series.
    "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
    "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

I'll parrot the masses and say that if it's done well, it'll be the best thing HBO's ever done.
    Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
      I'll parrot the masses and say that if it's done well, it'll be the best thing HBO's ever done.
      you do realize that with no other replies, you are the masses?

i had to work real hard to finish the first book and didn't realize he had planned to stretch the series out that long.

still...it might be much easier to get thru if i just have to sit there and watch. HBO does some great 'original' programming.
      Thanks!
      Jordan

my page
      My LJ
      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I've read up to book 3 and I've really enjoyed the series so far - best fantasy epic in a while IMO.

I always worry about converting books to TV series, but I have great faith in HBO. Defintely looking forward to it!

Comment

An update from George R. R. Martin: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news.html

It seems he will be writing one episode each season and there will be 12 episodes per season, which is pretty standard for HBO.
          "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
          "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

Comment

Aw, jeeze, now I'll have to buy HBO! ...well, at least for 12 weeks of the year. This series is one of my favorite series ever & I hope that the show lives up to what I hope it will be... if that makes sense...

Comment

Bummer I don't have HBO, but hopefully they will sell the series in DVD format once it's been aired.

Comment

This is great news of course, but I do have my doubts. The same everyone else has. Namely, the could ruin the series.

I won't be able to see it on TV here for a while, but I'm sure I can download it somehow. I'm not sure I will though.. I'm happy with the way things look in my imagination, this could be very different. We'll; just have to wait and see.
                "I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." - Jaim Lannister, a Song of Ice and Fire.

Comment

This makes the third series of fantasy books that I love that are being turned into screens both small & large lately. Christopher Eccleston has a role in the upcoming "Dark is Rising" movie, based on Susan Copper's series and Daniel Craig & Nicole Kidman (among others) are starring in "The Golden Compass" based on Phillip Pullman's books. It is a good time to be a geek!

Comment

Never read these books, but I'm dying for a good Fantasy television series- hopefully we'll get this on a more accessable channel up here.....not likely, but ya never know.

Comment

Working...
                    X