Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Olive Branch to the Sam Fans (Season 4 spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Olive Branch to the Sam Fans (Season 4 spoilers)

OK, so a lot of Sam fans (OK, well, a few) are now roaming these boards defending her honor, stating that she'll be a good addition, that they love her and that people will too and yaddi yaddi yadda.

It's important to make one thing clear: The majority of the Weir-Savers aren't criticizing Sam's character or Amanda Tapping's acting abilities or whatever.

What we're criticizing is the fact that there's a show dynamic. Over the course of 3 years, SGA has become kinda an ensemble show despite the fact that a few characters have become wallflowers.

Disrupting that by getting rid of Carson (for good), reducing Elizabeth's role and bringing in two new characters isn't going to be good on the show. To quote Philip J. Fry: "Unexpected things make them (the TV audience) feel scared."

A lot of casual viewers and "fanatical" (as in us) viewers alike will dislike these changes. And yes, a lot of them will stop watching the show because of it. People are like that.

We're not saying that Sam will undoubtedly ruin the show. We're not saying that she's a bad character. But everything has its own place and its own time. Forcing Sam onto the show out of choice (at least with the Vala/Mitchell Brouhaha, it was because two regulars had left the show out of their own choice) while reducing the roles of two staple characters, that's not going to end up all Peaches and Rainbows.

We (well, most of us) do not hate Sam. We hate the changes they are making so suddenly and with such a rushed feel to them.

In comparison, wouldn't you be upset if it was Atlantis getting canned, if they brought Rodney over to SG-1, brought in a new character and screwed two regulars (who'd been there since the beginning, which means Sam, Daniel or Teal'c) on SG-1 over?
    Last edited by FallenAngelII; 15 January 2007, 10:29 PM.

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    OK, so a lot of Sam fans (OK, well, a few) are now roaming these boards defending her honor, stating that she'll be a good addition, that they love her and that people will too and yaddi yaddi yadda.

It's important to make one thing clear: The majority of the Weir-Savers aren't criticizing Sam's character or Amanda Tapping's acting abilities or whatever.

What we're criticizing is the fact that there's a show dynamic. Over the course of 3 years, SGA has become kinda an ensemble show despite the fact that a few characters have become wallflowers.Disrupting that by getting rid of Carson (for good), reducing Elizabeth's role and bringing in two new characters isn't going to be good on the show. To quote Philip J. Fry: "Unexpected things make them (the TV audience) feel scared."

A lot of casual viewers and "fanatical" (as in us) viewers alike will dislike these changes. And yes, a lot of them will stop watching the show because of it. People are like that.We're not saying that Sam will undoubtedly ruin the show. We're not saying that she's a bad character. But everything has its own place and its own time. Forcing Sam onto the show out of choice (at least with the Vala/Mitchell Brouhaha, it was because two regulars had left the show out of their own choice) while reducing the roles of two staple characters, that's not going to end up all Peaches and Rainbows.

We (well, most of us) do not hate Sam. We hate the changes they are making so suddenly and with such a rushed feel to them.

In comparison, wouldn't you be upset if it was Atlantis getting canned, if they brought Rodney over to SG-1, brought in a new character and screwed two regulars (who'd been there since the beginning, which means Sam, Daniel or Teal'c) on SG-1 over?
    Ok wha I've hilighted ios nothing but opinion and not supported by fact. True there is a team dynamic, but I do not feel it is being broken. WEIR IS NOT LEAVING the show she is only reducing her role and possibly by her (Tori) own choice. I am not the only one that feels that the show will not be ruined by only 3 cast changes and only 1 member leaving. I happen to think the show has plenty of potential to go on without Carson and the additon of AT and JS. I still think the Weir fans are overreacting. I like her but am not worried about her role being reduced.
    As to your final comment that kinda did happen. We lost several characters and got 4 new ones without compromising the show IMO.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

"The fact that" is a manner of speaking. It does not make a claim to that the thing you're talking about is pure indisputable fact.

And while the show has great potential, it will undoubtedly be different. Great changes have been made. "Unexpected things make them feel scared". A lot of viewers will tune out because the show will change so drastically.

SG-1 never had their regulars screwed over. They left out of their own choice.

Comment

"The fact that" is a manner of speaking. It does not make a claim to that the thing you're talking about is pure indisputable fact.

And while the show has great potential, it will undoubtedly be different. Great changes have been made. "Unexpected things make them feel scared". A lot of viewers will tune out because the show will change so drastically.

Ok good point, but Teryl was screwed over ande that turned out fine. Paul is the only one screwed here as we know nothingabout tori's situation. Yes changes have been made, and whether they are good or bad is yet to be seen so I say wait and see.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Sorry, but you're wrong there. Sam was reduced from a dynamic, three-dimensional *leader* to a wallpaper character in as fast as you can say Cam Mitchell - and with about as many lines. Then the poor hewo, Mitchell, changes from week to week as the writers cannot decide WHO he really is since they never bothered to give him a decent backstory. And Daniel had a complete personality transplant. Teal'c, who had become much more outgoing from seasons 6-8 was back to monosyllables until season 10, when tptb discovered him again. the only ones to have left of their own choice was Hammond (for health reasons) and Jack (for family reasons). I cannot fault either of them for that.

All in all it's a mess.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            Ok good point, but Teryl was screwed over ande that turned out fine.
            Has it really? I know a lot of folks miss her a great deal. Same with Jacob Carter - he wasn't ready to leave either.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree. I don't care about Sam either way, I'm not a SG1 fan, and I don't have the time or energy to bother about a show and character that does not interest me.

But when it's about the show I love, all bets are off. This is where I start to care, and then I get pissed.

lemming << maybe.
              ----
              There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
              serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Personally, i reserve judgement until the scripts/episode names/synopsis, etc are made known, theirs no need to like think its the end of the world because shes joining... she could for all we or anyone else knows fit in perfectly and add a new dynamic to the show, theirs no denying shes a great actress...

i think its too early to judge whenever or not its the end as we know it for the show because shes joining..

i however dont agree with how Carson was made redundant

Comment

Originally posted by tears of blood View Post
                  theirs no denying shes a great actress...
                  That is a matter of opinion.

I have not seen enough of her to say myself, but I have noticed over the years many mixed thoughts on her acting ability, from 'she's crap and wooden, to she's the bestest thing since sliced bread' amongst my friends, and random fans across this forum and on LJ.

I'm not entirely convinced she's a great actress. I only give that title to actors like Sir Ian McKellan, Hilary Swank, you get the idea.
                  ----
                  There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
                  serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

I really like Sam, I think some of you know it, but Atlantis is not where she should be. But I won't resent her for that.

The only ones to blame are TPTB who think it's a good idea (which I doubt but it's not like we can say anything about the show we watch *rollseyes*).

I know that some people have never watched SG1 and are not interested to see a SG1 character in Atlantis, especially in those circumstances.

I'm under the impression they just want to sort of save their precious SG1...

Comment

The way I see it...

spoilers for late s3
                      Spoiler:
                      Grodin: Killed off
                      Bates: Vanished
                      Ford: Reduced to recurring.Was in 4 s2 eps and never heard of since
                      Beckett: We were told he would 'dissappear'...nope...he went KABOOM. dead.
                      Weir: We've been told she will be recurring...

How many eps do you think she's actually gonna be in? They're obviously making the statement that they're not invested in her character anymore.
                      Last edited by Madeleine; 16 January 2007, 03:21 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Well i think if Sam is going to work in Atlantis her and Rodney's bickering has to be turned down, if not is going to get old real quick.

N i dont want to see Cam anywhere near Atlantis ever again, i can not begin how that would turn me off Atlantis.

Comment

Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt it scifi who wanted a character from sg1 to appear in SGA. So i think most of the anger should be focussed towards them.

Im actually looking forward to seeing what Carter will bring to s4. I think she will be an interesting addition to the cast and provide a new dynamic. Id have to agree with you andr3w_iii, the bickering will have to be turned down otherwie it will just become stupid!

To those Weir supporters out there, remember that Carson had more screentime in s1 than he did in s2, so its possible that her role will not be diminished at all.

Another thing, I dont mind people sharing their opinions, thats what this forum is here for, but i get realy p****ed off when people say they are not going to tune in next season when they havent even heard any of the proposed stories or ideas. It just irks me!
                          Last edited by Gen_J_O'Neill; 16 January 2007, 02:25 AM.
                          sigpic
                          By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Gen_J_O'Neill View Post
                            To those Weir supporters out there, remember that Carson had more screentime in s1 than he did in s2, so its possible that her role will not be diminished at all.
                            If Weir's screentime is going to remain the same, then why bother changing her status? Carson's situation in S1-S2 is not a valid analogy to what's happening to Weir.

Another thing, I dont mind people sharing their opinions, thats what this forum is here for, but i get realy p****ed off when people say they are not going to tune in next season when they havent even heard any of the proposed stories or ideas. It just irks me!
                            People watch the show for different reasons. Some watch for the stories, others for their favorite characters. If your favorite character is no longer in the show, then why watch it? It's totally logical that you won't.
                            Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                            Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                            -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

I like Carter ... on SG1.

I have always liked the character, and I think she even loosened up a bit in the last few years. But I just can't picture her in Atlantis. How hard I try, I just don't see it.

Maybe once the stories have been filmed and are shown on TV, I might envision it more clearly but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be royally p****d about how TPTB treat Weir (and Carson by extent). Because I am.

I'm still very p****d about what they did to Doc Fraiser on SG1. And I will never forgive TPTB for that idiotic mistake. I can live with it, but I can't forget about it.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                              X