This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 4 changes discussion thread, Pro and Con

'Til recently, the PTB told us that Amanda Tapping would be in "a few" episodes next season. Then yesterday or something we're hit with the number 14. Since when is over 50% of a season "a few episodes" when the show is 20 episodes per season?!

And where did they reveal, this anyway?

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    'Til recently, the PTB told us that Amanda Tapping would be in "a few" episodes next season. Then yesterday or something we're hit with the number 14. Since when is over 50% of a season "a few episodes" when the show is 20 episodes per season?!

And where did they reveal, this anyway?
    Right herehttp://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=734
    I have no objections however.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
      It's a bad move, especially when it's essentially cost us two of the original cast members. The whole situation is unfair to the Atlantis cast.
      If your refering to Carson yes I agree. Though for all we know Tori wanted to be cut down in how much she is on screen.

Comment

It's a bad move, especially when it's essentially cost us two of the original cast members. The whole situation is unfair to the Atlantis cast.
        Wait, the reason AT's crossing over is also the cause for PM's leaving?!

Comment

Wait, the reason AT's crossing over is also the cause for PM's leaving?!
          No we don't no that don't jump the gun here! All we know is that they made Carson leave and AT is coming on and Tori's role is reduced. AT had no choice as she was contractually obligied.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            No we don't no that don't jump the gun here! All we know is that they made Carson leave and AT is coming on and Tori's role is reduced. AT had no choice as she was contractually obligied.
            I'm not blaming AT. I'm blaming the PTB. It seems like they want every single season (past season 1) to be controversial.

Season 1 was OK. Season 2 had John flirting and Kirking all over the place. Season 3 had "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible". Season 4 will have two regulars replaced by two recurring characters in cheap attempts to poach fans from other fanbases while no doubt losing fans from the current fanbase.

Comment

I'm not blaming AT. I'm blaming the PTB. It seems like they want every single season (past season 1) to be controversial.

Season 1 was OK. Season 2 had John flirting and Kirking all over the place. Season 3 had "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible". Season 4 will have two regulars replaced by two recurring characters in cheap attempts to poach fans from other fanbases while no doubt losing fans from the current fanbase.
              Well I hope your wrong.

Comment

And that's exactly what it is. A cheap stunt. Dragging Ben and Claudia in from Farscape to Stargate didn't help out in the final season, did it?? If it brought in a plethora of Farscape fans, the show wouldn't have been cancelled.

SGA is headed in the same direction.
                At least that was justified. Both Richard Dean Anderson and Don S. David wanted out, so they were allowed to leave. Paul doesn't want to leave and I doubt Torri's very happy with her reduced role either.

Comment

At least that was justified. Both Richard Dean Anderson and Don S. David wanted out, so they were allowed to leave. Paul doesn't want to leave and I doubt Torri's very happy with her reduced role either.
                  Except we don't know the circumstances on either. Tori could have asked for a reduced role. I don't like Carson leaving but I'm not ready to say the show is doomed either.

Comment

The N John Smith interview over at the MGM site revealed that budget for the show have decreased due to SG1 being cancelled, so both production staff and (presumably) actors had to be let go.

And who knows when the deal with Amanda was complete? Remember, for a long time now they were still in negotiations over her contract. "A few" a few weeks ago could've changed.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      The N John Smith interview over at the MGM site revealed that budget for the show have decreased due to SG1 being cancelled, so both production staff and (presumably) actors had to be let go.

And who knows when the deal with Amanda was complete? Remember, for a long time now they were still in negotiations over her contract. "A few" a few weeks ago could've changed.
                      Wee might as well give up as some people can't see reason my friend. Alot of people are reaelly jumping the gun IMO.

Comment

Jumping the gun? I don't think so. I'm just a firm believer in the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". What is so bad about the cast dynamic in Atlantis, which, IMHO, is just starting to bear fruit? They are starting to gel nicely after the addition of Ronon, and a little character development for Weir, Ronon and, dare I say, a wee touch for Carson, has been taking place. With episodes such as "The Tao Of Rodney", where it wasn't all Sheppard/McKay interaction, and others such as "Echoes", which were clear ensemble episodes, the writers actually opened themselves up to allowing the non-Marty-Stu characters to shine.

However, this was scuppered with episodes such as "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible". If I wanted a sit-com, I would dust off the "Father Ted" DVDs on my shelves. I, personally, don't want The Shep And McKay Snark Hour. I want Atlantis to carry on in the vein that season one promised - as an intelligent, far-reaching and challenging show that wasn't afraid to push the envelope and address current issues.

And I firmly believe that sticking with the cast that the fans know and love is the best way to go about that. The support is already there - why risk a HUGE chunk of fanbase by writing out two well-loved characters, just to replace them in a manner that is rankling the existing fans? Firefly and SG-1 fans AREN'T stupid either - they know they're not getting the shows back that they know and love, so are they likely to come over to SGA just for one actress?

You do the math...
                        Atlantis : Revolutions - an AU "Stargate: Atlantis" RPG

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          Wee might as well give up as some people can't see reason my friend. Alot of people are reaelly jumping the gun IMO.
                          I agree. It's sad to read and hear all over the place that many will stop watching because of the changes beeing made. I'm not at all that happy about the changes myself, but I think every SGA fan should at least check out the new season and then make up their minds if the show is going crappy or not. That's what most people did with SG1 in S9, they checked it out and then made up their mind about it.

And, as been said before, we have no official reason too why Paul and Torri leaves or are reduced to recurring status. For all we know they have other project and wanted to leave or reduce their roles. Cause let's face it both of them have a small part to play on SGA anyway and might feel the need to leave, at least for a short time and then maybe come back. That is sort of the feeling I got when I read about Paul leaving, that they want him back again. Although I got the feeling he didn't WANT to leave, but as I said, we don't know what is going on behind the cameras.

It's still sad to see both of them leave/become recurring, but I won't just give up on the show. I'll wait and see how things turn out. I actually got the impression JF was pretty excited about what's in store for SGA, so let's just see how it all goes.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
                            And, as been said before, we have no official reason too why Paul and Torri leaves or are reduced to recurring status. For all we know they have other project and wanted to leave or reduce their roles. Cause let's face it both of them have a small part to play on SGA anyway and might feel the need to leave, at least for a short time and then maybe come back. That is sort of the feeling I got when I read about Paul leaving, that they want him back again. Although I got the feeling he didn't WANT to leave, but as I said, we don't know what is going on behind the cameras.

It's still sad to see both of them leave/become recurring, but I won't just give up on the show. I'll wait and see how things turn out. I actually got the impression JF was pretty excited about what's in store for SGA, so let's just see how it all goes.
                            Paul McGillion has, repeatedly, expressed dislike of his character being axed. Apparentely, anyone who's been to a convention with him in recently months can attest to that.

("Sunday"-spoilers)
                            Spoiler:
                            The character of Carson can never return as himself as he's going to die in "Sunday".

Comment

They're making a bad move because they won't bring more SG1 fans to Atlantis. If they don't watch Atlantis now, they won't watch it with SG1 characters in it.

I have nothing against AT/Sam, but I resent TPTB.

Comment

Working...
                              X