Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
    ETA: There was a discussion on some thread a while ago where it was asked "Would you rather have Sam Carter come to Atlantis or a completely new character?" with the implication that Carter was better because TPTB wouldn't waste time developing her or giving her backstory. Now that I think about it, I'd rather have the new character because

a) just because Sam has had 10 years doesn't mean TPTB won't overdo her screentime on Atlantis.

b) more importantly - it would be a character that Atlantis can call its own and not one that has a 10 year history on the parent show! It would be an indication that TPTB were trying to make Atlantis stand on its own instead of propping it up with SG1.
    That's what I don't understand. Some folks keep saying there's some sort of "out with the old, in with the new" strategy for Stargate next season. But what they don't see/don't want to see is that Carter is the old, and Weir is the new. Hell, far from me suggesting Weir should go cause I'm kind of campaigning for her return, but if she had to (for whatever stupid reason), I'd certainly prefer a new SGA character to Carter. In fact, that's exactly what makes Keller more acceptable than Carter, IMHO.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
      Hey, I'm still around and I have a feeling that I'll be posting in this thread for many months to come.

ETA: There was a discussion on some thread a while ago where it was asked "Would you rather have Sam Carter come to Atlantis or a completely new character?" with the implication that Carter was better because TPTB wouldn't waste time developing her or giving her backstory. Now that I think about it, I'd rather have the new character because

a) just because Sam has had 10 years doesn't mean TPTB won't overdo her screentime on Atlantis.

b) more importantly - it would be a character that Atlantis can call its own and not one that has a 10 year history on the parent show! It would be an indication that TPTB were trying to make Atlantis stand on its own instead of propping it up with SG1.

I really worry that TPTB have wasted 3 years by not making Atlantis all that different or unique from SG1, and therefore Atlantis will tank next season when it doesn't have SG1 holding it up. I think that's what irritates me the most about this show - IMO it had so much potential and most of it was squandered.
      I think because Sam has had ten years on SG1, TPTB will overdo her presence on Atlantis. I'll be very surprised if they don't . . . it'll be just too easy for them. One of the reasons I was disappointed in part 2 of the Return was because of the heavy O'Neill/Woolsey moments. I felt that the the members of the SGA team were the guest stars in their own episode. If this is any indication of the mindset of TPTB, between Carter and McKay (with a little Shep thrown in for the pretty), there won't be room for anybody else.

Logically, and though I still don't like it, I can almost understand that with SG1 ending, TPTB would want to anchor its fans to SGA by crossing over a character. What I will never understand is how they hope to do this by dropping two relatively popular existing SGA characters at the same time. Beckett was so popular just a season ago that they bumped him from recurring to main and now he's expendable? I don't get this from any viewpoint: logically, statistcally, emotionally . . . whatever.

SGA has apparently been doing better in the ratings, or at least been more consistent, than SG1. It had such great potential. Yet they decide to revamp the show with the healtheir ratings to be more like the weaker cousin. I still think the best course would have been to add an SG1 character (if they absolutely had to) and keep the rest of the cast intact. I guess logic (at least my version of it) has no place in the entertainment industry.

Oh, and I plan on being around for a while longer too . . . so please keep a space open on the anti-couch. LOL.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
        Oh, and I plan on being around for a while longer too . . . so please keep a space open on the anti-couch. LOL.
        *scoots over* there's plenty of room! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
          *scoots over* there's plenty of room! LOL

Thanks. At least I know I'll have a place to go to discuss all the "WTF" SGA moments sure to come. LOL.
          sigpic

Comment

*runs and jumps into the couch*

*wriggles a little*

Mmm...comfy!
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'll be on the couch with ya all until Torri is back full time or until she's in the show. Then I'm most probably gone forever.

I wonder if the ratings stay as bad as they are at the moment if the show gets renewed anyway. We'll see if Irresponsible and the announced cast changes turned off fans forever.
              Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
              at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                I'll be on the couch with ya all until Torri is back full time or until she's in the show. Then I'm most probably gone forever.

I wonder if the ratings stay as bad as they are at the moment if the show gets renewed anyway. We'll see if Irresponsible and the announced cast changes turned off fans forever.

I wonder about that myself. Now that the news has begun to filter out to viewers who were unspoiled up to now, is it influencing how they see the current season? I'm really curious to see how casual viewers react to Sunday, if they watch of course, and how that episode effects the ratings for the remaining episodes of season 3. Even if Season 4 proves to be a triumph dramatically (just saying ), it may not matter if the casual viewer's connection to SGA is strained or broken by what happens now.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                  I wonder about that myself. Now that the news has begun to filter out to viewers who were unspoiled up to now, is it influencing how they see the current season? I'm really curious to see how casual viewers react to Sunday, if they watch of course, and how that episode effects the ratings for the remaining episodes of season 3. Even if Season 4 proves to be a triumph dramatically (just saying ), it may not matter if the casual viewer's connection to SGA is strained or broken by what happens now.
                  We'll see soon enough.

Found this smiley.

Comment

Biggest couch I could find on Google Images:

Parisindy can choose her spot when she returns to the anti s4 thread.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4...ticouchup7.jpg

NICE! *claims an end*

Comment

Looks mighty comfy, I think I'll stay.

Comment

Cool couch. Can I sit in the middle?
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4...ticouchup7.jpg

Brilliant! I suspect that couch might get a bit crowded during the coming weeks and months

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

its a lovely chesterfield.. i might take the back

do any of you read the stargate novels?
                              Last edited by parisindy; 23 May 2007, 06:02 PM.
                              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                              ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                              Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                                its a lovely chesterfield.. i might take the back
                                Welcome back!! ((((Paris))))
                                Last edited by Suzotchka; 23 May 2007, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X