PDA

View Full Version : The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Falcon Horus
May 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
A lot of you seem to think that Sheppard and McKay are used too much. That may be true but it doesn't bother me.

But you do see that others can be bothered with the Sheppard & McKay-show, and that's something.

And your nickname does speak volumes about who's your favorite. :p

SazZat
May 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
The McKay-Sheppard show is one of the long standing things that still keeps me watching Atlantis...which I'm glad for because after seeing now 2 of my favourite characters are gonna almost disappear for season 4 then I need the 50% of Team Atlantis that I have left.

Now, the thought of the McKay-Carter show..that is one that truly terrifies me :rolleyes: and I really hope that it doesn't ruin anything. I hope she doesn't take Zelenka's place when it comes to the sciencey debates and stuff.

Basically, I'd rather lots of McKay-Sheppard in season 4 than even a tiny bit of McKay-Carter. Otherwise, well they might as well just rename Atlantis now.

Falcon Horus
May 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Basically, I'd rather lots of McKay-Sheppard in season 4 than even a tiny bit of McKay-Carter. Otherwise, well they might as well just rename Atlantis now.

I'm no big fan of the McKay/Sheppard-show, but I'd rather see that than the McKay/Carter show.

mcbarr
May 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
One of the things I liked about SGA season 1 was the Sheppard, McKay and Ford interaction, but then they replaced Ford with Ronon, the mute, and we naturally ended up with the Sheppard and McKay show. In fact, that's why I think there's still a place for Ford or a Ford-like character in the team. Ronon and Teyla together is just a terrible redundancy.

But I agree with you... I still prefer to see the Sheppard and McKay show to the Carter and McKay show, or the Samantha Carter show.

parisindy
May 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
But with all these changes and "SGA getting darker in season 4" chat, is this really the dark side? :)

hehehe well really its just what people think of us... but truly its the blind support is the dark side *shudder*

USE THE FORCE SHEP! USE THE FORCE! Push back the season 4 zombies! BACK I SAY!

No no ! don't look at us! we are not the droids you're looking for!

Carter's a Wraith. :p You know, queen bee - hive, hive - wraith. Lame I know.

hehe did you see the lame joke i just made hehe i love the lameness as long as its not on tv hehe

I have one apprehension about Season 4 and that is the addition of Samantha Carter. I'm not an SG-1 fan(I've seen a few episodes) and Carter is just blah, in my opinion.

A lot of you seem to think that Sheppard and McKay are used too much. That may be true but it doesn't bother me. In fact, if McKay left, I wouldn't bother with the show at all. I think Hewlett is by far the best actor on the show and perhaps that's why he gets the more interesting scenes/episodes...whatever. And the McShepp chemistry is terrific. I have nothing against the other characters(although Teyla and Ronan sort of bore me.......I'm still watching Season 2 so I'm not sure about everything that's happened on the show up til now). Then again, the writers could probably have done a better job with Teyla and Ronan.

And Weir is just absent a lot. I would like to see more of her and people like Zelenka too.

see i think thats where i differ.. see i really loved everyone! And, thats why i find season 4 so hard to take. I adored all the characters...
then comes the end of season 3 and they pretty much obliterate the atlantis crew, they were either dead, replaced or so out of character they were unreconizable.

i won't even start in about sam, keller and Ellis
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/parisindy/Smilies/deadhorse.gif

hehe that smilie disturbs the animal lover in me ...but you get the point lol

parisindy
May 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
was playing around tonight...

thought i would share

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/parisindy/atlantis%20and%20SGone/antiseason4avatarsmall.jpg

mcbarr
May 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Push back the season 4 zombies! BACK I SAY!

Funny game:

http://www.funny-games.biz/deanimator.html

stclare
May 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
The more I hear of season 4 the more despondant I become. I was hoping if Carter was doing Weir's job then she would not have much screen time! though after reading through JM's blogg, he mentions Carter going off world and being able to to do both Sheps & Rodney's jobs - Christ whats the point of having anyone else on Atlantis when Carter can do it all!! realy why is JM and TPTB so convinced we should be worshipping at Carters feet, the more they shove her perfection down my throat the more peeved I become :(

I agree with the comments above i'd rather watch the shep/mckay show than the carter/mckay show. although i would rather they showed team interaction more than anything else and by team I mean the big 4 with a side helping of Zelenky :D after all there is hardly anyone else left is there :cool:

sorry that was a bit ranty!

YappiChick
May 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I'm with y'all about preferring a Sheppard/McKay show than a Carter/McKay show...But I actually have another radical idea. About a show where they respect and give *all* their cast members good storylines instead of killing them off or making them disappear? :cool:

Oops, I'm being cheeky again. :P

pittsburghgirl
May 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I'm with y'all about preferring a Sheppard/McKay show than a Carter/McKay show...But I actually have another radical idea. About a show where they respect and give *all* their cast members good storylines instead of killing them off or making them disappear? :cool:

Right on!

Falcon Horus
May 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
...Christ whats the point of having anyone else on Atlantis when Carter can do it all!! realy why is JM and TPTB so convinced we should be worshipping at Carters feet, the more they shove her perfection down my throat the more peeved I become :(

Didn't you know, she even has her own temple and her followers are called Carterites.

About a show where they respect and give *all* their cast members good storylines instead of killing them off or making them disappear? :cool:

Right on!

What she said...I completely second that.

parisindy
May 3rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Funny game:

http://www.funny-games.biz/deanimator.html

can't.... quit ... playing.... http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/drool.gif

WHOOO HOOOO! *cheers*

Rac80
May 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I think the delay in airing the second half hurt alot. Viewers may have lost interest during the hiatus. And, unless you watch SciFi for another show, you probably never saw the spots advertising SGA's return. To be honest, Sci Fi doesn't really have much to offer. I watch Enterprise on Mondays because . . . well, for me Trek equals life, but that is another story. LOL.
Yep trek equals life here too ;)

As far as the ratings dropping from week 1 to 2, I hate to say it but although I liked the conclusion of the Return, IMHO it wasn't as good as part one (which I loved). And as a fan of SGA who never watched SG1, it bothered me that O'Neill and Woolsey had so much airtime. If I have to watch snark, I'd prefer it to be SGA team snark. Maybe the so called "casual viewer" was less than thrilled with the episodes of both shows and decided to pass on the the following week's offering.

I did not like the conclusion of the return, i would have liked to see what happened between the lantians and the asurans. It was too truncated and left too many plotholes :P I agree that the time between new shows is way too long, I get busy with the rest of my life. :D

parisindy
May 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
welcome to the thread all new people :)

looks like the pro people are annoyed with us... i say tough potatoes http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/tongue2.gif

we are all fans.. just different kinds

ToasterOnFire
May 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Because I'm in a questionnaire mood. :P Where do you guys fit in?

I am:

A) Not going to watch any of season 4.
B) Going to pick and choose a few episodes to watch. (Weir ones, Carson ones, good plot ones, etc)
C) Going to start watching s4, and if I don't like where it's going I'm going to stop.
E) Going to watch most or all of season 4, but I have severe/many reservations about it.
F) Going to watch most or all of season 4, but I have a few quibbles about it.

I'm a E. :D

Suzotchka
May 4th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I am:

B) Going to pick and choose a few episodes to watch. (Weir ones, Carson ones, good plot ones, etc)
C) Going to start watching s4, and if I don't like where it's going I'm going to stop.
E) Going to watch most or all of season 4, but I have severe/many reservations about it.

Right now, I am "A". But I am considering "B". :P

YappiChick
May 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM

I am:

I'm an E too. I have a feeling that Friday nights in my house will be like an episode of MST3K. Maybe I can get my hubby to dress up like Joel or Mike. ;)

Falcon Horus
May 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I'm an E, but I'm also keeping an option on C.

parisindy
May 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM

I am:

I am sort of A/B
I am not planning on watching season 4 at all. But I promised my Friends Twinchy and Twinny that I would watch the Carson episodes, and I will but I am very nervous about it. Its one thing to talk about the changes, it’s a whole other thing to see it. I really loved what Atlantis was… I am not sure I can watch its demise. If Carson and Weir came back to their old roles, and all the other season 3 cast members stayed on. I would watch it, even if it meant cursing at Carter. Weir needs to be head of Atlantis though and Carson has to be back full time as the Doc. I don’t like Carter but I could even handle her being the military leader of Atlantis. As long as Weir still ran the whole of the city and Shep still was to be the main actor. Shep is my fav character. But I think it would be character development for him to have to try and follow a command again. He needs some angst and whump…hehe but I am just dreaming now. I think the Character of shep really needs to have something to ‘Rise above’. I hate to see Ellis the military leader though, that guy is very annoying IMHO. Caldwell would be okay :)

Good question :)

Celcool
May 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I'm a B. :D

Killdeer
May 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM

I am:

Cool idea! I'm E, with a possibility of C. (What happened to D? *grin*)

I'm excited about some of the things for Season 4, but I'm also very nervous and worried about some major things. Carter's leadership, Teyla's pregnancy, Weir's fate, what will happen to the team? Is it ok for me to excited and deeply worried at the same time in this thread? :S

Falcon Horus
May 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm excited about some of the things for Season 4, but I'm also very nervous and worried about some major things. Carter's leadership, Teyla's pregnancy, Weir's fate, what will happen to the team? Is it ok for me to excited and deeply worried at the same time in this thread? :S

Yes, it is. There are other who feel the same as you do, among them myself.

nowvoyager908
May 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM

I am:

Right now, I'd have to say I'm an "A", but depending on how things turn out, I could become a quasi- "B". It depends on how much it hurts and how angry it makes me to see Carter and Keller in those spots where Weir and Beckett ought to be. If I were to watch, it would only be those episodes that Weir and Beckett appear in.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling a bit distanced from SGA even now and we're still in season 3, so season 4 is a big question mark for me.

O/T - Did anyone see Entertainment Weekly's best of sci fi for the past 25 years (both big and small screen). Stargate didn't make the list; BSG did of course (like Grey's Anatomy, you would think its the only thing on t.v. sometimes). LOL. Bet the faithful won't be too happy about that.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036782_20037403_20037541,00.html

mcbarr
May 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
B (Carson and Weir episodes aka true SGA eps)

parisindy
May 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM
i just bought the new stargate magazine has anyone else seen the articles?

Falcon Horus
May 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I'm still reading the previous issue so no...anything good?

parisindy
May 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I'm still reading the previous issue so no...anything good?

nothing new really just an article about Torri that was interesting

Killdeer
May 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
nothing new really just an article about Torri that was interesting

I posted several quotes over in the Season 4 & Dr Weir (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=39470&page=9) thread. I thought the article was very good. Torri was pretty candid about her character, and some of the frustrations she's had.

Also, it seemed at the end that she did confirm that it was not her choice to leave. That quote is included in the quotes I posted, but she said that she was told there would be changes and she had a choice between leaving permanantly or going to recurring. :S I'm going to miss having her around more.

I just finished rewatching Tao of Rodney. I loved that episode - total awesomeness. I love Elizabeth and what she is to the show - a wonderful balance. You can see how deeply she cares about all her people. It's going to be hard adjusting to not having her. :( *sigh*

parisindy
May 5th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I posted several quotes over in the Season 4 & Dr Weir (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=39470&page=9) thread. I thought the article was very good. Torri was pretty candid about her character, and some of the frustrations she's had.

Also, it seemed at the end that she did confirm that it was not her choice to leave. That quote is included in the quotes I posted, but she said that she was told there would be changes and she had a choice between leaving permanantly or going to recurring. :S I'm going to miss having her around more.

I just finished rewatching Tao of Rodney. I loved that episode - total awesomeness. I love Elizabeth and what she is to the show - a wonderful balance. You can see how deeply she cares about all her people. It's going to be hard adjusting to not having her. :( *sigh*

Yeah the Tao of Rodney was pretty good, not my fav of the season but a ver sweet episode. I love Torri in it.

Shep is my fav characters, but the big stumbling blocks for me of season 4 are paul and torri. As much as i love shep i love 'the team' more. Its the first show where i really loved all the characters. I really think that paul and torri were treated poorly and thats what breaks my heart.

you mentioned torri was given the option of becoming reoccuring or leaving permanently. Okay so we know she is going to be reoccuring in season 4, but really its a formality... i think Either choice leads to the same thing... she may get a couple of more episodes but Weir as we know her is kaput.

And it breaks my heart
TPTB destroyed the team... and shep always said 'we don't leave our people behind' ...to bad TPTB don't subscribe to the same theory

thanks for posting your thoughts Killdeer ((hugs))

Willow'sCat
May 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM

I am:

I'm C with a touch of E.

It depends just how badly the first few travel, they may not be bad enough to stop outright.

Also it depends on when Carter is appearing, and Weir leaving. If Weir leaves right away then it may give the show a boost in my expectations meaning I keep watching.

Like wise if Carter comes in and throws her weight around or the McKay/Carter crap starts then nothing will probably make me watch. :cool:

Chailyn
May 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm C with a touch of E.

It depends just how badly the first few are, they may not be bad enough to stop outright.

Same here. Carter and the Teyla pregnancy arc are the hurdles for me. I know what I like in a show and both those plotlines aren't it. We'll see how it goes. :cool:

Killdeer
May 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I posted this in another thread, but am reposting here. After watching Tao of Rodney this weekend, I just kept thinking about next season when Weir won't be there any more. It's going to be a definate loss. Whatever you may think about Carter, she doesn't have the personal empathetic touch that Weir does IMO. Not that she doesn't care, but she's a scientist, a soldier. Losing both Weir and Carson...gah, its like they've carved the emotional heart out of the team. Who's left to give the personal touch? Just Teyla, and she's going to have her own issues next year. What do you all think? I love all the team, but the guys, Shep, McKay, and Ronon, are not that big on the emotional moments. It was usually, though not always, up to Weir, Carson, or Teyla to be the catalyst for those type of scenes. Now what's going to happen? I hadn't thought of this until tonight...but it's a depressing thought. :(

parisindy
May 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM
totally agree! 100% some of the campaigns to save weir and carson
have been calling it 'the heart of atlantis' and i couldn't agree more

i do love my mushy moments and i'm not talking 'ship' moments
but the little moments

we truly have lost something

grasshopper64
May 7th, 2007, 02:25 AM

I am:

I'm an E, I'll watch the show despite having great reservations about a lot of the changes, although the difference will be, living in the UK, I probably won't go out of my way to see the eps straight after they air in the US like I might have before;)

I've watched all of S9 & S10 of SG1 despite having a lot of issues with it. I guess I'm hoping that even if I don't like the changes there will still be some good eps and it will be better than I'm expecting

Willow'sCat
May 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Weir is no more the heart or soul of Atlantis then I am a super model. :cool: Good grief the women gave the go ahead to kill on mass, then she had the nerve to turn up a few eps latter finally FINALLY admitting she did frak up! This is what is wrong with Weir! Too little too late. This is what is wrong with the show IMHO, too many bad decisions and no one taking any responsibility for them.

And as for Beckett well he did mess around with things he had no right to and all in the name of being a doctor. Well that kind of doctoring I can do without seeing on Stargate.

I just do not see where all this rubbish about Heart and Soul is coming from! Well I can but I guess in desperation we all clutch at straws. :rolleyes: :cool:

mcbarr
May 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Well, it seems your real problem is with SGA management, not with the characters of Dr. Weir and Beckett. I have to disagree with you about the heart and soul part, though. Elizabeth Weir and Carson Beckett were clearly the heart and soul of Atlantis, and it's really difficult to see Carter, Sheppard, McKay or anyone else being able to make up for their absence.

Willow'sCat
May 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Well, it seems your real problem is with SGA management, not with the characters of Dr. Weir and Beckett. I have to disagree with you about the heart and soul part, though. Elizabeth Weir and Carson Beckett were clearly the heart and soul of Atlantis, and it's really difficult to see Carter, Sheppard, McKay or anyone else being able to make up for their absence.
My problem is with Weir/Sheppard. Long held problems with the way they do not bother to take any responsibility. McKay had to take responsibility for his frak ups, from being slapped across the head :p to losing the trust of other characters. But even when Woolsey (?) came to Atlantis it was more of the same... Sheppard backing up Weir and Weir backing up Sheppard. It wasn't until the last episode that Weir admitted to making a mistake, that was way too late for me. It also seems clear that tptb couldn't see a way clear with Weir which is why IMHO the character was made reoccurring (well Torri's choice to not leave out right apparently). If it is broken you try and fix it, which is why I am hoping with no Carson and not much Weir that the Show can move forward and try and put the moral corruption behind them. I have huge doubts about that, and I know many don't see any moral question in what they did as it was The Wraith but I guess for me two wrongs do not make a right. You wouldn't get the go ahead on Earth to do those experiments on a dog never mind an intelligent being *even if that being is out to kill you*

As for the other well I would take the Pro stance to another thread as we are not going to agree on that, I see Weir's/Beckett's actions in Misbegotten as inexcusable, Sheppard's weren't much better. :cool:

mcbarr
May 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Again, you have issues with TPTB and their writing (as do I, btw). The prob is, offing/replacing characters won't change anything... SGA characters will still screw up all the time. Carter will back up Sheppard, and Sheppard will back up Carter. McKay will blow up a solar system here and there. The new doc will pick up Carson's retrovirus research where he left off and so on.

Killdeer
May 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I'm not up to debating your points about Misgotten, Willow'sCat, because I hated the episode too. Maybe I chose my words poorly when I said "emotional heart." What I meant was - I want this show to be more than a action/adventure psuedo-science flick, which is kind of what SG1 has turned into, and why I've lost interest. I want there to be character moments, emotional moments between the characters, and it seemed like Weir and Beckett, and sometimes Teyla, were usually the catalyst for those moments. Sheppard and McKay are not just going to have a scene together and start talking about how they feel, or Ronon either. That's not who they are. It's not a flaw, it's just not their character, not their position. They're military and science oriented, not people/feelings oriented. But Beckett and Weir, because of who they are, are in a position to connect on a more emotional level and pull those kind of deeper moments out, give us a sense of what's going on in Sheppard's head, or McKay's head, etc, and round out the team, rather than have everyone segregated in their own little universe.

This is not a moral judgement about their characters. I was more talking about the place they fill in the team, bringing out the personal side, rather than just being focused on the action, or the science, etc. Not that I'm opposed to action at all - but I want it to be well rounded. Taking away BOTH Weir and Beckett leaves a gap....there's no people person there to fill the space. Carter can't - she's scientific/military. Heightmeyer hasn't been developed enough to do it, and we only see her rarely, and I've seen nothing to indicate she's going to have a greater presence in the upcoming season. Keller is only going to be in eight episodes, and she's still finding her way. That puts the burden of adding the emotional, empathic side squarely on Teyla's shoulders, and Teyla is going to have her own issues this year.

TH said, and I'm quoting from her interview in Stargate Magazine:

"I think that is where the writers get frustrated with the actors because we are always up there going "Wait a minute! We just lost one of our guys! Can't it be referenced in the next episode?" Their modus operandi is 'No, this is part of a plot driven show and logistically, we don't know the order of how they will be airing.' I have an issue with that. There was an episode where a new doctor is introduced and I said, 'In this scene, please can I show some sadness? Can there be a beat of that?' And they didn't want to, and I think fans are very loyal to certain characters. I understand where they are coming from but I felt we were missing something, some level of emotion."

It makes me wonder if the reason for getting rid of Weir and Beckett was precisely that, to get rid of the emotional side of the show. If they want to focus on action and plot, Weir and Beckett would only slow them down, because their purpose is to show the human side, the emotional reaction. If the writers are trying to get rid of that, and make it a purely sci-fi action flick show....

I'm just speculating now. Just some thoughts.

parisindy
May 7th, 2007, 10:47 PM

agree 100%

parisindy
May 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Again, you have issues with TPTB and their writing (as do I, btw). The prob is, offing/replacing characters won't change anything... SGA characters will still screw up all the time. Carter will back up Sheppard, and Sheppard will back up Carter. McKay will blow up a solar system here and there. The new doc will pick up Carson's retrovirus research where he left off and so on.

agree again,,, we are borg lol

I'm not up to debating your points about Misgotten, because I hated the episode too. Maybe I chose my words poorly when I said "emotional heart." What I meant was - I want this show to be more than a action/adventure psuedo-science flick, which is kind of what SG1 has turned into, and why I've lost interest. I want there to be character moments, emotional moments between the characters, and it seemed like Weir and Beckett, and sometimes Teyla, were usually the catalyst for those moments. Sheppard and McKay are not just going to have a scene together and start talking about how they feel, or Ronon either. That's not who they are. It's not a flaw, it's just not their character, not their position. They're military and science oriented, not people/feelings oriented. But Beckett and Weir, because of who they are, are in a position to connect on a more emotional level and pull those kind of deeper moments out, give us a sense of what's going on in Sheppard's head, or McKay's head, etc, and round out the team, rather than have everyone segregated in their own little universe.

This is not a moral judgement about their characters. I was more talking about the place they fill in the team, bringing out the personal side, rather than just being focused on the action, or the pseudo-science, etc. Not that I'm opposed to action at all - but I want it to be well rounded. Taking away BOTH Weir and Beckett leaves a gap....there's no people person there to fill the space. Carter can't - she's scientific/military. Heightmeyer hasn't been developed enough to do it, and we only see her rarely, and I've seen nothing to indicate she's going to have a greater presence in the upcoming season. Keller is only going to be in eight episodes, and she's still finding her way. That puts the burden of adding the emotional, empathic side squarely on Teyla's shoulders, and Teyla is going to have her own issues this year.

It makes me wonder if the reason for getting rid of Weir and Beckett was precisely that, to get rid of the emotional side of the show. If they want to focus on action and plot, Weir and Beckett would only slow them down, because their purpose is to show the human side, the emotional reaction. If the writers are trying to get rid of that, and make it a purely sci-fi action flick show....

agreed and well said... they did that with andromeda as well
they want the 'action hour' they were advertising and it was the characters that paid for it... action needs to be the result of something. Action with out emotion to back it up is just... well dull. Its the emotional investment that makes the action sequences worth while, if you don't care about the characters or can't relate to them on some level will you care when they are in peril... probably not

Suzotchka
May 8th, 2007, 05:56 AM
From JM's blog:

Anonymous #2 writes: “All the "oh they don't advertise enough" and "the fans just won't accept what we're giving them" won't fly if the series fails.”

Answer: Yet the fact is that after a six month lay-off, lack of any significant promotion, and previous airings throughout the world and on the internet, both Stargates have seen their numbers dip. It doesn’t take a genius to connect the dots.

So it's the lack of promotion that is killing the show? Somehow, I don't think that's the *whole* reason.

nowvoyager908
May 8th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Weir is no more the heart or soul of Atlantis then I am a super model. :cool: Good grief the women gave the go ahead to kill on mass, then she had the nerve to turn up a few eps latter finally FINALLY admitting she did frak up! This is what is wrong with Weir! Too little too late. This is what is wrong with the show IMHO, too many bad decisions and no one taking any responsibility for them.

And as for Beckett well he did mess around with things he had no right to and all in the name of being a doctor. Well that kind of doctoring I can do without seeing on Stargate.

I just do not see where all this rubbish about Heart and Soul is coming from! Well I can but I guess in desperation we all clutch at straws. :rolleyes: :cool:

I think where I disagree with your take on "heart and soul" is that in my mind, it doesn’t mean always being perfect, or even as always doing the right thing. It’s more a feeling of giving emotional weight to the show . . . to ground the show so that it doesn't fly off into space (no pun intended). LOL. It’s actually more interesting to me to see someone struggle with a decision that may go against their better judgment than to see someone be perfect all the time . . . or to not think or feel at all.

As much as I love all the characters, Ronon and Teyla are (IMHO) nothing more than pretty wallpaper. I once characterized them as being id and superego with no ego to balance them. Shep and McKay are too busy doing their comedy routine or blowing things up to give much real thought to consequences.

Certainly, Beckett and Weir were not the most fleshed out characters, but it fell to them to balance the “boys with toys” mentality of the rest of the cast. And with what little they were given, I think they performed admirably. In a show filled with one-dimensional characters, Weir and Beckett were the most complex of the bunch, though obviously that’s not saying much. LOL.

Any way, that’s my take on the matter. I think any show without an emotional core, even your standard sci-fi action/adventure offering, is bound to be a pretty hollow viewing experience.

Killdeer
May 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I think where I disagree with your take on "heart and soul" is that in my mind, it doesn’t mean always being perfect, or even as always doing the right thing. It’s more a feeling of giving emotional weight to the show . . . to ground the show so that it doesn't fly off into space (no pun intended). LOL. It’s actually more interesting to me to see someone struggle with a decision that may go against their better judgment than to see someone be perfect all the time . . . or to not think or feel at all.

As much as I love all the characters, Ronon and Teyla are (IMHO) nothing more than pretty wallpaper. I once characterized them as being id and superego with no ego to balance them. Shep and McKay are too busy doing their comedy routine or blowing things up to give much real thought to consequences.

Certainly, Beckett and Weir were not the most fleshed out characters, but it fell to them to balance the “boys with toys” mentality of the rest of the cast. And with what little they were given, I think they performed admirably. In a show filled with one-dimensional characters, Weir and Beckett were the most complex of the bunch, though obviously that’s not saying much. LOL.

Any way, that’s my take on the matter. I think any show without an emotional core, even your standard sci-fi action/adventure offering, is bound to be a pretty hollow viewing experience.

Thank you, nowvoyager908. You said what I was trying to say much more clearly and concisely. :D

parisindy
May 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
From JM's blog:

So it's the lack of promotion that is killing the show? Somehow, I don't think that's the *whole* reason.

nope it is one of the reasons but certainly not the whole reason
heck not even one of the main reason

Falcon Horus
May 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
nope it is one of the reasons but certainly not the whole reason
heck not even one of the main reason

But it's easier to put the blame somewhere else than to take responsibility for your actions.

ToasterOnFire
May 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Heh, I posted something similar over on the Joe thread. Possible contributers to the lower ratings are:

-6 month delay between 3.0 and 3.5
-those pesky downloaders :P
-poor promotion by skiffy (though I saw far more promotion before 3.5 started than before 3.0)
-fewer people watching TV overall
-more competition from other channels/movie premieres/real life
-Fans losing interest in the show because of [insert specific or overall problem(s) with the writing/characters/etc here]

Guess which one never gets mentioned by TPTB. ;)

parisindy
May 8th, 2007, 08:16 PM
well if it wasn't for the character changes i would still be watching

i mean i don't even get the sci fi channel in canada hehe so i can't say its the advertising :LOL:

plus i don't the new episodes on the canadian channel as it plays on a
channel that is special order and therefore very pricey

the Space channel is showing season 2 at the moment i think

stclare
May 9th, 2007, 04:29 AM
after roaming through the mckay/hewlett thunker thread I found that the Hewlett has given little titbits of info.

one of those has me in a real tissy as

he comments that in a scene with Carter, woolsey & Mckay, Mckay is unhappy - he doesnt of course put this in any context. we dont know which ep or why he is unhappy.

i just cant wrap mr brain around Carter being in charge, and i know that after all this time its not an option to not except it. but still from the above it looks like its gonna be a swipe match. i hope to god i am wrong and that they act like adults. but this situation fills me with dread and the more i hear the more it sounds like we will get the mckay and carter of such geats like the "pegasus project" where mckay yet again is the butt of the jokes and shouldn't we be all pleased that Carter has swooped in to save the day.

okay that was a bit mean. but you all get my drift i dont want mckay to have to prove himself again and i dont want nor need wasted eps telling me why Carter is great and in charge along with a nice few quips at mckays expense. they very neatly did not address the impact of Carsons death/or whatever he is now, so i should think they could not spend to much time on the whole reset theyve got going on... hey ive noticed i seem to have a theme its the not making mckay a dumbass butt of jokes thing perhaps i should see someone about it?

anyways sorry that was long winded and not very well thought out but my gut is still churning maybe on reflection ill feel better :o

mcbarr
May 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM
-Fans losing interest in the show because of [insert specific or overall problem(s) with the writing/characters/etc here]

I think the problem with Stargate are excessive standalone episodes. With engaging shows like Lost and Heroes out there, in which everything has a meaning and is connected to something greater and mysterious, viewers can't put up with silly filler eps anymore. If you don't give the viewers a reason to watch the show again next week, they won't. The cast changes are just the final nail.

ToasterOnFire
May 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM
well if it wasn't for the character changes i would still be watching

i mean i don't even get the sci fi channel in canada hehe so i can't say its the advertising :LOL:
Aaaaactually...all those downloaded files came from Canada, so it's really all your fault that the ratings are down.

BLAME CANADA!! :P

after roaming through the mckay/hewlett thunker thread I found that the Hewlett has given little titbits of info.

one of those has me in a real tissy as

he comments that in a scene with Carter, woolsey & Mckay, Mckay is unhappy - he doesnt of course put this in any context. we dont know which ep or why he is unhappy.
After viewing SG1's s9 where everyone was A-OK with total noob Mitchell taking command of the team instead of a more experienced officer or Carter, I'm not so sure that TPTB like to write in internal conflict in the team. Or maybe they learned from that fiasco and they'll write in some real strife regarding Carter. And I'm not talking 5 minutes of strife and then Carter saves the day and everyone loves her sort of strife, I'm talking strife that lasts over several eps and may even cause divisions among team members (military Shep vs. civilian McKay for example).

Hmm...I wonder if Carter would have come over to Atlantis if her character had been given definite command in s9 and s10...

Suzotchka
May 9th, 2007, 06:50 AM
After viewing SG1's s9 where everyone was A-OK with total noob Mitchell taking command of the team instead of a more experienced officer or Carter, I'm not so sure that TPTB like to write in internal conflict in the team. Or maybe they learned from that fiasco and they'll write in some real strife regarding Carter. And I'm not talking 5 minutes of strife and then Carter saves the day and everyone loves her sort of strife, I'm talking strife that lasts over several eps and may even cause divisions among team members (military Shep vs. civilian McKay for example).

Hmm...I wonder if Carter would have come over to Atlantis if her character had been given definite command in s9 and s10...

I was just going to say that! If TPTB hadn't messed up and had given Carter command of SG-1 would she be coming to Atlantis? JM said in his blog that it was a natural progression for the character to have a command position (and a probably promotion, too) and that they didn't do it in S9 & 10 because they didn't want to ruin the 'team feeling' (or something like that). I'm not even going to post what I thought of S9 & 10.

If it was a natural progression for her to be in command, then she should've been given command of SG-1. I don't want Carter on Atlantis.

EDIT: I would like to add that even if she wasn't replacing Weir, I still wouldn't want her on Atlantis. Carter has had 10 years to develop. I'd rather see other characters get the screen time.

stclare
May 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM

not having watched sg1 since probably mid season 8 i cant comment on what happened there.
for me personaly i would not like to see a division of military/civilian. i much prefer stories where the team are up against it, enthasis on team and dare i say it ..space battles and big explosions. not everyones cup of tea i know. but the less i see of Carter in any context the better ;)

parisindy
May 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Aaaaactually...all those downloaded files came from Canada, so it's really all your fault that the ratings are down.

BLAME CANADA!! :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/parisindy/Smilies/suspect.gifehm http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/tribble_fight.gif

ehm moving on.. hehe

Well I adore Ben Browder, hehehe but Sam was always a little boring to me. I appreciate her character being smart and all that but ...m'eh. He character always seemed necessary to me, the only time I was really interested in her was during the whole Orin and Pete times… and I am not even a shipper, it was more just curious as how it would play out. I have watched sg-1 but not faithfully. I have seen maybe a handful of episodes from season 6 on. So really I can’t comment to much on who should be in command. But maybe simply Sam should have been in charge because that would have made Mitchell the underdog and I always prefer the under dog.

Its why I like Shep, even though he’s the military leader, because of his black mark he is also the underdog.

Sam coming over is annoying first cause I really love Weir. Second because we have had 10 season of Sam and if they couldn’t make her interesting during that time I can’t see how they will now. Rodney is cooler and smarter... and Canadian hehe. What do we need with both sam and Rodney? Don’t their brains cancel each others out? Then there is the whole military thing… that bugged me in first strike (I keep wanting to call it final strike for some reason hehe maybe cause it was the end of Atlantis for me) This I a civilian operation not a military one. The military is there for back up. They should not be calling the shots.

Anyways hehe I could keep ranting, but I need coffee

Diesel Vanilla
May 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM

"I think that is where the writers get frustrated with the actors because we are always up there going "Wait a minute! We just lost one of our guys! Can't it be referenced in the next episode?" Their modus operandi is 'No, this is part of a plot driven show and logistically, we don't know the order of how they will be airing.' I have an issue with that. There was an episode where a new doctor is introduced and I said, 'In this scene, please can I show some sadness? Can there be a beat of that?' And they didn't want to, and I think fans are very loyal to certain characters. I understand where they are coming from but I felt we were missing something, some level of emotion."

Thanks for that quote Killdeer.

I don't understand how the writers just don't GET IT? If the actors' appreciate that the viewers want to see that kind of emotional response to a character loss, as well as want to ACT that kind of response themselves, then SURELY the flippin' writers do?

:beckettanime09:

grasshopper64
May 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Well that just sums it up.....It's sad that TH actually had to bring up the continuation and the mention of said character when TPTB seemingly weren't bothered and just wanted to move on........

The change from a character driven show to a plot driven show has happened to SG1 and IMO helped lead to it's downfall and now it's happening to Atlantis.
To me it's one of the things that first got me into SG1, the characters and character-driven storylines.

Now it seems like characters have to fit into the plots and if they don't they're just pushed aside. There are plenty of other scifi action/spaceship type shows out there, and most of which frankly I'm not interested in.

parisindy
May 10th, 2007, 03:53 PM
totally agree the 'action hour' is what killed andromeda to... they don't seem to learn from history either

ToasterOnFire
May 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
not having watched sg1 since probably mid season 8 i cant comment on what happened there.
for me personaly i would not like to see a division of military/civilian. i much prefer stories where the team are up against it, enthasis on team and dare i say it ..space battles and big explosions. not everyones cup of tea i know. but the less i see of Carter in any context the better ;)
Yeah, it all comes down to personal preferences and YMMV and all that. I do like an "us vs. them" conflict with the team uniting to fight anyone that goes against them, but I think I prefer more internal conflict within the team. More, anyway, than what we've seen on the show so far. People from all walks of life do come together and make a strong team in real life, but people are also grouped together in real life and fight with each other from time to time or never really get along. I guess I'd rather see the team occasionally fight with each other, eventually reach an understanding, and be stronger because of it instead of bonding suddenly and never wavering. :)

Well that just sums it up.....It's sad that TH actually had to bring up the continuation and the mention of said character when TPTB seemingly weren't bothered and just wanted to move on........

The change from a character driven show to a plot driven show has happened to SG1 and IMO helped lead to it's downfall and now it's happening to Atlantis.
To me it's one of the things that first got me into SG1, the characters and character-driven storylines.
I completely agree. I understand that Atlantis has to be a stand-alone series to a certain extent to make it easier to syndicate or whatever. But if a series gets too stand-alone its characters suffer and become unrealistic. It's the Big Reset Button that so many have lamented the past few seasons. Rodney blows up a solar system, gets hell for it and strains relationships with others...and it's never developed beyond that. Teyla and Ronon set themselves apart from the Earthers in the same episode...and we haven't seen or felt that distinction since then. Weir is willing to torture someone in Critical Mass and transform an individual against his will in Michael...but we never really feel her subsequent pain and doubt in doing so.

And now this latest and biggest transgression, where Carson is tragically killed in one episode. TPTB go to great efforts to show everyone's pain in that episode, but they don't touch on it in later ones. They don't even mention his death in the two subsequent episodes. Heck, if the interview is correct it was an ACTOR, not a PTB, that pushed for some continuity. That's worrisome. :S

TPTB seem torn between a character driven show and a stand alone show. They write these huge emotional events - deaths, blunders, divisions, changing who you used to be because the situation demands it - and yet almost every time they're forgotten in the next episode. It makes it harder to relate to the characters and it trivializes the emotional events that have occured.

parisindy
May 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM
well said! green you if i could!

parisindy
May 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM
My turn to ask a question

would you be able to put up with the newish characters of Sam, Ellis and Keller if all the other characters remained intact as they were earlier on in season 3?

stclare
May 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM

would you be able to put up with the newish characters of Sam, Ellis and Keller if all the other characters remained intact as they were earlier on in season 3?

I dont know if "put up with" is the write words i would use for me. would i accept the changes more readily...no. if anything the addition of these would mean even less time for the original cast. and TPTB could not cope with the cast they had let alone trying to spread screen time amongst 3 extra. 1 of whom i would expect to have dedicated eps and lots of dialogue.

i dont think for me personaly, any which way they introduced these changes was going to imrove my expectations. I was drawn to Atlantis because it wasn't SG1. this so called soft reset is bringing Atlantis more and more closer to SG1 and therfore loosing my interest.:(

as they say "time will tell" :cool:

Willow'sCat
May 12th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I think where I disagree with your take on "heart and soul" is that in my mind, it doesn’t mean always being perfect, or even as always doing the right thing. It’s more a feeling of giving emotional weight to the show . . . to ground the show so that it doesn't fly off into space (no pun intended). LOL. It’s actually more interesting to me to see someone struggle with a decision that may go against their better judgment than to see someone be perfect all the time . . . or to not think or feel at all. Where did I say she or Carson had to be perfect?

I unlike some find it hard to believe these characters are somehow integral to SGA because they *alone* have emotional connections and are (what?) thinking and feeling humans.... so the other characters are replicators or something? :eek: See the flaw in the argument for Saving Weir and Carson imho is that these two characters are not all they are cracked up to be. ;)

Spoiled 'cause as the actress said to the Vicar... wow it is really long! :p *sorry* :o :D

All I see when Weir is around is a women who does not lead. She follows and it is usually Sheppard or McKay that she follows.

A women who would do anything to save her own job, she didn't even have the guts to resign after it was clear the military were going over her head with frankly a stupid plan. If she was a real leader, someone who actually got it, she would have gone to Sheppard and McKay and took the time to come up with an alternative *the phrase kicking and screaming comes to mind* Instead she went to Telya and had a b**** session. :rolleyes: Yes there is something to be said for staying on the ship as it sinks *good for her* but really there was no leadership there.

I know it seems tptb had washed their hands of Weir by then, but for me it only adds to the long list of reasons why I feel she was never leadership material in the first place. Lets face it, she is now a totally weakened character, and as they say... it is time to go. :cool:

As for Carson, he is a medical doctor first, or so they told us in season one and just so we wouldn't forget they told us again at the beginning of season two. :rolleyes: So why did he think he could pull of something so obviously fraught with danger? So obviously out of his league? His field of known expertise? Not once but twice! It is just hard to understand. I have had a huge problem with Carson since the whole retro virus thing started, not becasue I think he should be pure as the driven snow :rolleyes: but because it just seems so stupid of tptb to think we could buy him as this guy, a guy who didn't give much thought to what he was really doing.

He went from the most ethical character on SGA (see Poisoning the Well) to what we end up with during the Michael related eps. Now you can say he evolved, changed after everything that happened but you know what, the last time I looked SGA was not good at subtle character changes, or growth, or anything :p so what we really end up with is having to swallow these character changes out of the blue.

One week we have Carson ready to experiment on living creatures with seemingly no real remorse.... to not so much with the fast forward; to The Return Pt2 to a Carson who cries over the "wee baby turtles"... that my friend is facile TV and you are welcome to it. :cool: If a character changes that much I expect some of it to stick throughout the season. Sure he can be complex, great be complex but you are forgetting this is SGA they don't do that here, all we get are weird OOC moments that somehow we are meant to make sense out of.

Yeah it is the same with Ronon and Teyla and John and Rodney, they all do and say things one ep they would find abhorrent the next. I guess for me I just find it easier to lose Weir and Carson, to see their departure as no big deal and no great loss. I certainly don't feel like I am losing the Hear and Soul of Atlantis. :rolleyes: :cool:

*shrugs*

Don't get me wrong it is tptb I blame for all of this not the actors... the actors are innocent bystanders just like us. It is tptb who seem to think this is the 80s and all you need is a cute lead, hot babe, flashy weapons and a nice theme tune to have a hit show.

I tell you it is all over when Sheppard sports a three day growth and a fluro suit. :cool: :P

Falcon Horus
May 12th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Would you be able to put up with the newish characters of Sam, Ellis and Keller if all the other characters remained intact as they were earlier on in season 3?

If all the characters, and that includes Carson and Elizabeth I assume, remained intact I could (maybe) put up with Carter BUT since McKay turns into something that is no longer recognizable as the annoying little whiny genius he is, I think I'd have to say no in the end. I don't need to see his intellect go down the drain whenever his blonde goddess is around.

I can (and will) put up with Keller, since well Jewel is one of my favorites. Shallow probably, sue me I don't care. But what I would have loved to see even more is an interaction between Carson and Jennifer. Why would she be the best choice to be the next lead of the medical team? I'm pretty sure Carson would have a few things to say about that.

I don't care much for Ellis. I didn't like him in First Strike. I found him obnoxious maybe, and he displayed zero respect for Elizabeth.

mcbarr
May 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Carter will probably suck all the oxygen in the room asphyxiating characters like Sheppard and McKay. Some people keep saying the most bizarre things about Dr. Weir, but she never took away anybody's screen time. Will the same apply to Carter? I doubt it. Too much history... Not to mention that if the US/IOA were to militarize Atlantis, they would send a General, not Carter.

I have no problem with Keller, that is, other than the fact that she's too young to assume Beckett's post. It would have made more sense if Carson had stayed alive with Keller as his assistant.

And Ellis... What can I say? Poor copy of Sisko? That's the first thing that occurred to me when I watched First Strike, and I haven't changed my mind. To be fair, he was only in one ep.

parisindy
May 12th, 2007, 01:51 PM
See the flaw in the argument for Saving Weir and Carson imho is that these two characters are not all they are cracked up to be. ;)

i disagree completely but i respect your opinion thank you for sharing it :)
I adore weir and carson

but as for the others
i strongly dislike sam, ellis and keller but i think i would still be watching the show if everything else was the same

i wouldn't be happy but i would be watching

sam and keller are huge stumbling blocks for me
as for ellis i think that he is just in a couple of epps then gone forever...good riddance to bad rubbish that

Diesel Vanilla
May 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Where did I say she or Carson had to be perfect?

I unlike some find it hard to believe these characters are somehow integral to SGA because they *alone* have emotional connections and are (what?) thinking and feeling humans.... so the other characters are replicators or something? :eek: See the flaw in the argument for Saving Weir and Carson imho is that these two characters are not all they are cracked up to be. ;)

Spoiled 'cause as the actress said to the Vicar... wow it is really long! :p *sorry* :o :D

All I see when Weir is around is a women who does not lead. She follows and it is usually Sheppard or McKay that she follows.

A women who would do anything to save her own job, she didn't even have the guts to resign after it was clear the military were going over her head with frankly a stupid plan. If she was a real leader, someone who actually got it, she would have gone to Sheppard and McKay and took the time to come up with an alternative *the phrase kicking and screaming comes to mind* Instead she went to Telya and had a b**** session. :rolleyes: Yes there is something to be said for staying on the ship as it sinks *good for her* but really there was no leadership there.

I know it seems tptb had washed their hands of Weir by then, but for me it only adds to the long list of reasons why I feel she was never leadership material in the first place. Lets face it, she is now a totally weakened character, and as they say... it is time to go. :cool:

As for Carson, he is a medical doctor first, or so they told us in season one and just so we wouldn't forget they told us again at the beginning of season two. :rolleyes: So why did he think he could pull of something so obviously fraught with danger? So obviously out of his league? His field of known expertise? Not once but twice! It is just hard to understand. I have had a huge problem with Carson since the whole retro virus thing started, not becasue I think he should be pure as the driven snow :rolleyes: but because it just seems so stupid of tptb to think we could buy him as this guy, a guy who didn't give much thought to what he was really doing.

He went from the most ethical character on SGA (see Poisoning the Well) to what we end up with during the Michael related eps. Now you can say he evolved, changed after everything that happened but you know what, the last time I looked SGA was not good at subtle character changes, or growth, or anything :p so what we really end up with is having to swallow these character changes out of the blue.

One week we have Carson ready to experiment on living creatures with seemingly no real remorse.... to not so much with the fast forward; to The Return Pt2 to a Carson who cries over the "wee baby turtles"... that my friend is facile TV and you are welcome to it. :cool: If a character changes that much I expect some of it to stick throughout the season. Sure he can be complex, great be complex but you are forgetting this is SGA they don't do that here, all we get are weird OOC moments that somehow we are meant to make sense out of.

Yeah it is the same with Ronon and Teyla and John and Rodney, they all do and say things one ep they would find abhorrent the next. I guess for me I just find it easier to lose Weir and Carson, to see their departure as no big deal and no great loss. I certainly don't feel like I am losing the Hear and Soul of Atlantis. :rolleyes: :cool:

*shrugs*

Don't get me wrong it is tptb I blame for all of this not the actors... the actors are innocent bystanders just like us. It is tptb who seem to think this is the 80s and all you need is a cute lead, hot babe, flashy weapons and a nice theme tune to have a hit show.

I tell you it is all over when Sheppard sports a three day growth and a fluro suit. :cool: :P

hehehe, not a big Carson and Liz fan then Willow? ;) Fair enough. :)

Personally though, I really enjoyed the moral ambuguity that came across in Beckett - especially with the retrovirus storyline. I thought it actually came across really well that he was in two minds about his actions - both in Michael and in Misbegotten... especially in the latter. Maybe if they hadn't ruddy well killed him off we could've seen more of his feelings over the whole issue.

Can't wait to see Shep in a fluro suit.... hehhe, can't get that image out of my head!!!!!!! ;)

parisindy
May 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Personally though, I really enjoyed the moral ambuguity that came across in Beckett - especially with the retrovirus storyline. I thought it actually came across really well that he was in two minds about his actions - both in Michael and in Misbegotten... especially in the latter. Maybe if they hadn't ruddy well killed him off we could've seen more of his feelings over the whole issue.

i loved the whole bit science versus morality idea its a fine line to walk and an interesting one.

Can't wait to see Shep in a fluro suit.... hehhe, can't get that image out of my head!!!!!!! ;)

stupid question whats a fluro suit?

Diesel Vanilla
May 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM

I've thought about this a lot since all the 'happenings'. If I am totally honest, I have to say yes - if they had kept the core (my definition of core includes Beckett and Weir) then watching the newbies come in would be considerably less painful. I actually would've liked Beckett to have had an infirmary chum such as Keller. But obviously not to be. :(

*sighs*

So frustrating to lose your favourite character... :(

parisindy
May 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM
So frustrating to lose your favourite character... :(

i didn't loose my fav character but i did loose my fav team so yeah :(
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/hug.gif

i lost two of my second fav characters to

i'll miss my show

Diesel Vanilla
May 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
stupid question whats a fluro suit?

hehehehe, well, I don't know the true definition as to what W'Cat was referring, but in my head I can see Sheppy wearing a luminous sick yellow 'shell suit' of the late 80s/early 90s fashion rage.

*shudders*

:D

parisindy
May 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
hehehehe, well, I don't know the true definition as to what W'Cat was referring, but in my head I can see Sheppy wearing a luminous sick yellow 'shell suit' of the late 80s/early 90s fashion rage.

*shudders*

ACKKKKK! hehehehehee

jerkface
May 12th, 2007, 09:16 PM
*pokes head around doorway of thread*

Y'know, another thing I don't really get about 'lantis being trekified is the PTBs' insistance that S4 will be "darker" than previous years.

They seem to be giving the humans Trekish über-tech (which apparently only works properly in close proximinty to polyester-clad scientists), and S2-3 already built up the "no consequences for the main characters" that Next Gen. was often guilty of. They decided to throw away the two characters (Weir and Beckett) who drove their previous, dark un-trekish torture/genetic manipulation storylines. And they made sure to cap all of their more serious S3 episodes with a reset button, everyone's-really-all-right closing scene.

But now they insist they're going dark?

Maybe they're thinking it'll turn out like DS9's Dominion War...but DS9 did spend a couple seasons building up storylines that filled out who the civilizations on both sides of the wormhole were, and established its main characters as more flawed people than we had seen on previous Star Treks.

So...I don't really get it. It seems like they've tubed characters and plotlines on Atlantis to make it a light comedy/farce show, without any continuing (or really any serious) plotlines. And—that's how they set up for a dark war season? I am just confused.

But, ranting aside, I did enjoy rewatching Tao of Rodney. (I steadfastly deny ever squeeing, but the :weir: and :mckay: scenes made me come close.)

parisindy
May 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
TofR was a cool eppy not my all time fav but cool all the same

and yeah you are so not the only one confused!

nowvoyager908
May 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Where did I say she or Carson had to be perfect?

I can't disagree with you when you say the writing for all the characters is uneven (big understatement), but I still believe that at least Weir and Beckett were shown to be of two minds (maybe even three) about certain decisions they made. I would think that torturing Kavanaugh or creating Michael would at least deserve a night or two of tossing and turning, and a serious dose of second-guessing. I don't see that as bad leadership. I see it as being faced with making decisions that in a perfect world, never would have even been considered . . and being appropriately horrified at the turn of events. I think I would have been horrified if there hadn't been regret and recriminations . . . plus there would have been no story. LOL.

What's really interesting is that fans who do not like Weir fall into two very different groups with very opposite opinions: one group feels she is constantly and unnecessarily butting heads with the military, as if as head of the expedition, she didn't have the right to do so. The other group feels as you do (and I apologize if this is not accurate), that she is always giving in to Sheppard and/or McKay.

I don't agree with either viewpoint, but what is obvious is that watching a tv show is very subjective experience. IMHO, Shep and McKay are one dimensional stereotypes: the cocky anti-hero with a girl in every port vs. the nerdy, uber genius with the social skills of a two-year old. Teyla and Ronon are undersued pretty wallpaper. I still believe Weir and Beckett were the most complex of all the characters on SGA (again, that's not saying much), and I feel their loss will hurt the show in the end. JMHO.

stclare
May 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I can't disagree with you when you say the writing for all the characters is uneven (big understatement), but I still
What's really interesting is that fans who do not like Weir fall into two very different groups with very opposite opinions: one group feels she is constantly and unnecessarily butting heads with the military, as if as head of the expedition, she didn't have the right to do so. The other group feels as you do (and I apologize if this is not accurate), that she is always giving in to Sheppard and/or McKay.

I don't agree with either viewpoint, but what is obvious is that watching a tv show is very subjective experience. IMHO, Shep and McKay are one dimensional stereotypes: the cocky anti-hero with a girl in every port vs. the nerdy, uber genius with the social skills of a two-year old. Teyla and Ronon are undersued pretty wallpaper. I still believe Weir and Beckett were the most complex of all the characters on SGA (again, that's not saying much), and I feel their loss will hurt the show in the end. JMHO.

I dont dislike weir, but i do find the way the writters present her irritating but not for the reasons above. its more her inconsistency in dealing with the situations they come across. every now and then they would hit the mark spot on! then she would disapear again. all that potential in character and actress wasted it boggles the mind it realy does :confused:

i havent found mckay/shep one dimensional. i actualy thought the writters had put real effort into showing the different layers to them. i also think the actors have added little nuisances that have inhanced there characters a lot.

maybe we see in the characters what we want to see?

sga had all the potential in the world. it was different, unique even. now all that is being sucked out, changing direction. out with the old in with the new seems to be the motto at the mo and the division it is causing in fandom can only be bad for the show. i realy, realy dont understand the reasoning with any of the changes to be honest. it all just sucks :cool:

mcbarr
May 15th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I dont dislike weir, but i do find the way the writters present her irritating but not for the reasons above. its more her inconsistency in dealing with the situations they come across. every now and then they would hit the mark spot on! then she would disapear again. all that potential in character and actress wasted it boggles the mind it realy does :confused:

I like Dr. Weir. I've always seen her as someone doing everything she could in an almost impossible situation, thus the inconsistencies. Who is consistent all the time anyway? Well, at least she is not wallpaper, but that is certainly due to the actress, not the writers. Replacing the actress and keeping the problem won't change anything, though.

sga had all the potential in the world. it was different, unique even. now all that is being sucked out, changing direction. out with the old in with the new seems to be the motto at the mo

You've got to be kidding, right? :confused: :D ;)

and the division it is causing in fandom can only be bad for the show. i realy, realy dont understand the reasoning with any of the changes to be honest. it all just sucks :cool:

I agree.

FallenAngelII
May 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Oh great! Great, great, great!

Have you guys read the spoilers "The Seer"?!

Not only is Sam butting in and appearing in 14 episodes, possibly the cause of the reduction of Elizabeth's role, but in "The Seer", it is revealed through a vision that the future of the galaxy rests on the shoulders of the Atlantis expedition and that "[Sam] is the one who must decide on what actions to take at the 'crossroad'"!

What is this crap?! They couldn't have let that important person be Teyla, who's been promised more and better screen time or anybody else who's an original cast member?!

Of course, it is also said that people sometimes misinterpret The Seer's visions. But the chancse of that in this case are quite slim.

The Carter-love-Mary-Sue-crap just keeps getting worse and worse!

Suzotchka
May 15th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Didn't I read on JM's blog that there was going to be crossover episodes?

Isn't all of S4 just one big crossover season?

stclare
May 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Didn't I read on JM's blog that there was going to be crossover episodes?

Isn't all of S4 just one big crossover season?

Yes! just wait they will anounce daniels crossover and arc next. closely followed by tealc's i wonder which cast members will fall to the wayside to accomidate :cool:

mcbarr
You've got to be kidding, right?

ok yes thats why you should read through before posting that was meant to have been deleted duh!

what i was trying to say was they seem to be letting characters of the original cast go to accomidate other people coming in. wether it be from sg1 or complete newbies. wether these decisions are mutualy exclusive or not is irrelevant what matters is the end result sga cast gone new people in :)

regarding weir if tori had been allowed the growth and input she has mentioned in her recent interview i think it would have improved the show no end. :)

parisindy
May 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM
regarding weir if tori had been allowed the growth and input she has mentioned in her recent interview i think it would have improved the show no end. :)

amen!

mcbarr
May 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Not only is Sam butting in and appearing in 14 episodes, possibly the cause of the reduction of Elizabeth's role, but in "The Seer", it is revealed through a vision that the future of the galaxy rests on the shoulders of the Atlantis expedition and that "[Sam] is the one who must decide on what actions to take at the 'crossroad'"!

What is this crap?! They couldn't have let that important person be Teyla, who's been promised more and better screen time or anybody else who's an original cast member?!

Of course, it is also said that people sometimes misinterpret The Seer's visions. But the chancse of that in this case are quite slim.

Yay! The Samantha Carter show. How dare you object to that! :D I guess the shrill and ill-informed lemmings are the actual seers because we saw this [email protected] coming from day one despite all the denials and so forth.

nowvoyager908
May 15th, 2007, 05:04 PM

i havent found mckay/shep one dimensional. i actualy thought the writters had put real effort into showing the different layers to them. i also think the actors have added little nuisances that have inhanced there characters a lot.

maybe we see in the characters what we want to see?

sga had all the potential in the world. it was different, unique even. now all that is being sucked out, changing direction. out with the old in with the new seems to be the motto at the mo and the division it is causing in fandom can only be bad for the show. i realy, realy dont understand the reasoning with any of the changes to be honest. it all just sucks :cool:

Bolding is mine. ICAM with this sentiment. I think each viewer picks up on something in a character that appeals to them and whatever that hook is will be different for each person. For instance, I don't dislike any character but if forced to choose a least favorite, I would have to go with McKay. I fully understand his importance to the show and most times I do like him . . . but there are moments when he makes me cringe in embarrassment for whoever he is humiliating at the moment. Other viewers think he is the "cat's meow" and can do no wrong. (shrugs)

I like Weir and I know all too well that others don't. But sometimes when I hear detractors talk about why they don't like her and they point out particular scenes or recurring themes, I find I invariably have a totally different interpretation. I'm convinced we're not watching the same show. LOL. I would think the same thing is true for all fans.

Killdeer
May 15th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Bolding is mine. ICAM with this sentiment. I think each viewer picks up on something in a character that appeals to them and whatever that hook is will be different for each person. For instance, I don't dislike any character but if forced to choose a least favorite, I would have to go with McKay. I fully understand his importance to the show and most times I do like him . . . but there are moments when he makes me cringe in embarrassment for whoever he is humiliating at the moment. Other viewers think he is the "cat's meow" and can do no wrong. (shrugs)

I like Weir and I know all too well that others don't. But sometimes when I hear detractors talk about why they don't like her and they point out particular scenes or recurring themes, I find I invariably have a totally different interpretation. I'm convinced we're not watching the same show. LOL.

I can completely agree with this. I've had issues with Carter for quite a while now, although I really enjoyed her in the early seasons. But it's gotten to the point that I'm gritting my teeth almost every time she's on screen. But she has tons of fans on this board. Obviously they're seeing something I'm not! That's ok though. I think the only problem comes in when people start making judgements about other people based on who they like or don't like. Each of us come from different places, and that will color how we perceive the characters.

nowvoyager908
May 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Wow. I guess all those fans who were confident Carter wouldn't be taking over the show might want to rethink that whole train of thought right about now. LOL.

mcbarr
May 15th, 2007, 05:30 PM
In all honesty, all SGA fans will get screwed in the end. What a scam! Our fav show was just SG-1's back up.

Suzotchka
May 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM
In all honesty, all SGA fans will get screwed in the end. What a scam! Our fav show was just SG-1's back up.

I guess Atlantis is the 'back up singer'? (sorry, couldnt' resist)

S4 is one big SG-1 crossover season anyway. Might as well rename it: Atlantis SG-1

nowvoyager908
May 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM

S4 is one big SG-1 crossover season anyway. Might as well rename it: Atlantis SG-1

All those SG1 fans who are sad about that show's end shouldn't be too concerned, they'll get their season 11 afterall . . . it'll just be called Stargate Atlantis. ;)

mcbarr
May 15th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Well, I was thinking in terms of computers: "to duplicate (a file or a program :D) as a precaution against failure" (Source: Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=back+up&x=0&y=0)). But there you go... Back up singer! LOL

All those SG1 fans who are sad about that show's end shouldn't be too concerned, they'll get their season 11 afterall . . . it'll just be called Stargate Atlantis. ;)

You're right! This whole mess started with the Save SG-1 campaign. It seems some people took that as a blank check to frak up Atlantis. If you ask me, they should go ahead and change the name of the show once and for all. How about SCA (Samantha Carter's Atlantis)? Keeping SGA is just too misleading, really. :(

parisindy
May 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/borg_assimilation_faces.gif

couldn't agree more and what is really a horroble thing is that then not only killed and cut our characters the ones that remain (so i feel after first strike) are so out of character that they are practically new, well okay thats not 100% true but i can see it happening the hints were certainly there

stclare
May 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Oh God thats damn funny :D :D

Actualy no it isnt, infact its pretty damn accurate and depressing :(

mcbarr
May 16th, 2007, 07:30 AM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/borg_assimilation_faces.gif

That's very funny! :D

Klenotka
May 16th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I think that authors just even can´t imagine that not all are ecxited about SG1. I know people who have never watched SG1, and started with SGA, bc it was independent in S1. One my friend, when she saw Carter in Letters from Pegasus, even didn´t know who she was! After I told her, than she remembered that SG1 had this character. SG1 runs here now after few-year break and people simply came to Atlantis and never cared about SG1.
And tptb think that "all must love Carter bc she is from SG1". It´s stupid.
OK, I have to admit, I am not big fan of Weir myself, but she is the original cast, and instead of make some things right in her character, they send her away.
I don´t want to Carter safe the day. It´s Sheppard´s team work, it´s work of Zelenka and Lorne and all those great characters. Perfect blondie had enough time...and except showing how great scientist, soldier, "person" she is, we saw nothing in her.

I can´t do anything about it. I can only complain and be angry. I am looking forward to S4 bc, yeah "hardcore-fan-who-will-watch-anyway", there are many good news and I have some hopes. I am trying to be optimistic. And I am only "semi-anti-S4" person. I am more like "anti-Carter in S4" person. ;)
I would maybe even got over Weir leaving, if they put there someone else. Somebody from SGA, Caldwell for example. When they so necessary wanted soldier, they could have give him there. It would be certainly more interesting, more chemistry than now. Or someone completely new. It´s the reason why I can´t say a word agaist Keller. I like Jewel Staite and I am not the person who would hate character just bc he or she came after someone. I can give her a chance. But Carter/Amanda (who never caught me as an actress, no offense) had a chance and wasted it. Or better, authors wasted it. Amanda looks very nice, and she probably is. But Carter is not good character. And in the minute she will be there, it won´t be right. I can´t help myself.

Phew, it´s long post again, sorry. And whole is anti-Carter. :o And my English isn´t perfect, too. Now I can maybe expect some red points for my constant complaining against Carter. :D But I am used to say what I think. Which isn´t always good. :rolleyes:

Commander Ivanova
May 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Klenotka, say what you like about Carter, fine by me. See you over on the anti-Carter in S4 thread!

I have to agree with the above post and say that what bothers me most about S4 is the presence of Carter. I liked her well enough on SG1 but I've kind of had my fill of Carter (and the rest of SG1). It's nothing personal against the actress or the character, I'd just like to see more development of the SGA characters and I'm afraid TPTB are so much in love with Carter it'll overshadow the rest of the team.

Falcon Horus
May 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Yay! The Samantha Carter show. How dare you object to that! :D I guess the shrill and ill-informed lemmings are the actual seers because we saw this [email protected] coming from day one despite all the denials and so forth.

Lemmings rule!! :D

mcbarr
May 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, the lemmings were never credited for being right all along. I guess I'll upload my lemming ID again... ;)

Celcool
May 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Feels like Atlantis was cancelled not SG-1.

Arica12
May 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I have sympathy with a great deal of what has been said here. I am a big beckett fan, so I'm not exactly feeling warm and fuzzy about the changes anyway but I thought that since Beckett is going to appear next season I would give it a go and watch the episodes.

So being a complete spoiler freak I decided to find out what was coming up.

Big mistake.

Now this could well just be me but it seems like next season is going to revolve around Teyla and the Athosians (hey - I've got an idea for next year's Eurovision!!!!!) in a big way; so wouldn't it help if you know, the Athosians - and Teyla - were actually interesting? I've always found them sanctimonious and self-righteous and was frankly glad to see the back of them. (In fact I'd go so far as to say that letting some hungry Wraith loose on the Athosians could only improve them).

Falcon Horus
May 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Now this could well just be me but it seems like next season is going to revolve around Teyla and the Athosians (hey - I've got an idea for next year's Eurovision!!!!!) in a big way; so wouldn't it help if you know, the Athosians - and Teyla - were actually interesting? I've always found them sanctimonious and self-righteous and was frankly glad to see the back of them. (In fact I'd go so far as to say that letting some hungry Wraith loose on the Athosians could only improve them).

Now, now...you're not going to tell me you think the Asurans are more interesting than the Athosians? Cause I'd have to come over and tell you that Eurovision is all about who has the most friends... Err, I meant I'd much rather see the Athosians back than the Asurans. But to let a Wraith loose on them... :eek: ... Charin was such a nice lady. And Halling & Jinto, and his buddy Wex.

And I think Teyla needs a little more screentime, cause the girl has turned into wallpaper and that's no place for a girl to be.

Anyway, onto my complaints again...

Something sprang to mind today, while I was daydreaming (and yes, my boss caught me ... oops)... It's bad enough Carter is going to be on Atlantis, on TV... But I realized not just today, she'll be in fanfic as well then. :(

Arica12
May 16th, 2007, 01:55 PM
er...can I vote for neither Athosians or Asurans being back?

Anyway further complaint. Everything that has happened so far with regards to next season feels like it's motivated by panic:

SG-1 axed - need to improve SGA figures - I know let's axe that Doc, nobody likes him and bring in unrealistic young female doc, they'll love that

EEK! They don't love that; what can we do now, I know let's axe female leader and oh look, an SG-1 character with nothing to do, what a happy coincidence! She can come in and take over! They'll love that!!

EEEK! They don't love that; what can we do now - I know let's lose some characters we actually got rid of two years ago and then spend the season searching for them; this will make a underused character interesting - oh and let's do some character development for her - how do you develop a female character? Ah! I know........They'll love that!!!!!!!

I just have this image of TBTB in Laurel and Hardy mode, scratching heads as they lurch from one panic to another.

There, I know that was pretty witchy but I've had the day from hell and need to do some venting

huntress
May 16th, 2007, 02:11 PM
First of all concerning fanfics: No Samantha Carter doesn't have to be in them. Just read AUs and stories that deviate off from season two or three on. ;)

I never looked forward to season four, actually I am not plaing on watching the season at all. I will look how things develop storywise and when I see that things go even more pearshaped then they already are

I haven't read any spoilers so far but I just read
that Teyla is supposed to be pregnant. I could live with it when either Ronan is the father or the pregnancy is a bit like the one from Rosmary in "Rosmary's Baby" BUT If the child is from John ....

then I know for sure I won't come back. The news alone that Samantha will lead the expedition from now on and be the big honcho sucks beyond the telling. I also agree that the PTBs don't seem to have the slightest clue on what to do to please us. I think they should stop trying to imitate successful shows and start coming up with a couple of fresh ideas of their own. That would be a good starts. From what I have read so far about season four it sounds to me like they try to imitate Star Trek and go back to old successful concepts. Sorry mates. Wrong move.

parisindy
May 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Feels like Atlantis was cancelled not SG-1.

amen!

Something sprang to mind today, while I was daydreaming (and yes, my boss caught me ... oops)... It's bad enough Carter is going to be on Atlantis, on TV... But I realized not just today, she'll be in fanfic as well then. :(

you know i think that actually bothers me more then the show.. i've been obsessing over that alot, the first time i read keller in a fic i will scream... alot
and it won't be in joy :mad:

Falcon Horus
May 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
er...can I vote for neither Athosians or Asurans being back?

12 points go to ... the Wraith?

I just have this image of TBTB in Laurel and Hardy mode, scratching heads as they lurch from one panic to another.

LOL!! *has a funny visual*

First of all concerning fanfics: No Samantha Carter doesn't have to be in them. Just read AUs and stories that deviate off from season two or three on. ;)

Planning to. Stumbled across one earlier but it was Pegasus Project-related, at least I think it was. It didn't actually say so.

parisindy
May 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
its starting again and i hate it! I was just feeling better about being
at GW again!

I hate it when people think we have no rights in any other thread just because
we don't support season 4 :mad:

Suzotchka
May 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
at GW again!

Oh man! :( I just don't understand that.

parisindy
May 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Oh man! :( I just don't understand that.

me either! ((hugs))

mcbarr
May 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
What happened? Borgs? :)

parisindy
May 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM
What happened? Borgs? :)

nothing really just peoples attitudes get to me

we are borg (cause we are like minded) :lol:

Celcool
May 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM
at GW again!

Just hold on and do your thing, don't let them win. :cool: We have as much right to feel let down by tptb and hate the show as it's shaping up to be as they have the right to be excited about it.

huntress
May 17th, 2007, 02:48 AM
nothing really just peoples attitudes get to me

we are borg (cause we are like minded) :lol:

No I actually think of me as a Lemming but Borg is also okay. ;) Resistance is futile!

mcbarr
May 17th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I thought the others were the Borg (assimilating Atlantis and so on), but that's OK for me too. I like Borgs. :)

*Borg mode activated*

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Falcon Horus
May 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
...the first time i read keller in a fic i will scream...

Oh, I don't mind Keller. I actually would like to pair her up with Kate.
And I'm writing this loooooong fic that has Keller in it, but there's also still Carson and Elizabeth.

parisindy
May 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM
hehe sorry borg is a term i always used among my friends when eve we say the same thing at the same time... or when we agree completely on an issue hehehe, we are of the hive mind lol

hence why i have borg smilies hehe
let me what i got

assimilation http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/borg_assimilation_faces.gif

random borg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/borgsmile.gif

and the slightly odd
borg tribble hehe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/parisindy/Smilies/Borgtribble.gif

Oh, I don't mind Keller. I actually would like to pair her up with Kate.
And I'm writing this loooooong fic that has Keller in it, but there's also still Carson and Elizabeth.

well i don;t want to be seen as character bashing, but i don't like firefly

and love shep in the episodes jewel was in, but i don't really care for any of the roles she has played. I am not a fan of her

and now to see her replace weir and everyone fawning over her just rubs me the wrong way.

I however hope your fic does well :) ...will there be shep whump?

Killdeer
May 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I enjoyed Firefly, and Serenity, but wasn't so fond of Kaylee. I didn't hate her, but she definitely wasn't a favorite. So yeah, I have some reservations there. I wish they'd gone with a older, cranky, House type character, if they had to replace Carson. I have no interest whatsoever in Keller. The sweet, lovely, insecure young doctor character does absolutely nothing for me. I like a character to have some bite.

parisindy
May 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I enjoyed Firefly, and Serenity, but wasn't so fond of Kaylee. I didn't hate her, but she definitely wasn't a favorite. So yeah, I have some reservations there. I wish they'd gone with a older, cranky, House type character, if they had to replace Carson. I have no interest whatsoever in Keller. The sweet, lovely, insecure young doctor character does absolutely nothing for me. I like a character to have some bite.

we are borg! and thats only if they had to replace paul cause paul is my first choice always!
firefly has some okay moments..i got bored with it pretty fast though, but agree about kaylee 100% and with the wraith girl (forget her name)

Falcon Horus
May 18th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I however hope your fic does well :) ...will there be shep whump?

It's my personal fic from hell, and let me think... yes, there is Shep whump and I had great fun writing it too. :D

...with the wraith girl (forget her name)

Ellia

mcbarr
May 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I agree with the older/cranky doctor idea. If Carson had to go (I don't think that was the case either), at least bring someone who won't go unnoticed.

parisindy
May 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM
It's my personal fic from hell, and let me think... yes, there is Shep whump and I had great fun writing it too. :D

Ellia

ellia thats it..gads she was annoying imho, glad shep shot her hehe

I agree with the older/cranky doctor idea. If Carson had to go (I don't think that was the case either), at least bring someone who won't go unnoticed.

i don't think she will go unnoticed cause i mean she already grates on my nerves like crazy but i would have liked to see someone who was more pauls equal...not that thats possible

flynn1959
May 19th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Just hold on and do your thing, don't let them win. :cool: We have as much right to feel let down by tptb and hate the show as it's shaping up to be as they have the right to be excited about it.

Amen to that!

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Amen to that!

i'm so tired of their gloating, our show is ruined and they are celebrating its totally not cool

flynn1959
May 19th, 2007, 02:10 AM
i'm so tired of their gloating, our show is ruined and they are celebrating its totally not cool

It's sad isn't it, you would think that people would want what is best for the show. Carter is the worst thing that could possible happen to Atlantis. I really was looking forward to the fourth season and the fifth, sixth etc but now I can't bring myself to watch. There have been just too many changes, Carter joining the show, even in a minor role, is just the last straw.

mcbarr
May 19th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I dunno about you, but I feel really comfortable in the "anti" threads. Posters are so funny and perceptive. The other threads are so boring. Maybe when season 4 airs we should open anti-eps threads to discuss what we did instead of watching SGA-1, or how the episodes (or one particular character) sucked for those heroes among us who will still watch. :)

flynn1959
May 19th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I dunno about you, but I feel really comfortable in the "anti" threads. Posters are so funny and perceptive. The other threads are so boring. Maybe when season 4 airs we should open anti-eps threads to discuss what we did instead of watching SGA-1, or how the episodes (or one particular character) sucked for those heroes among us who will still watch. :)

Some of the other threads are downright scary! But good for a laugh now and then. I don't think there will be that many people still around when season four airs. SG1 is over and with Atlantis limping along into crapdom why bother to stick around?

Maybe we could get a medal struck for the heroes who have to sit through hour after hour of the Spammy show? That and a gold plated sick bucket!:)

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM

i think that sounds like fun

cause now i've really run out of shows i enjoy it was atlantis and supernatural
now its only supernatural

that being said i probably will start fading away eventual or certainly not coming buy as often
but i mean once or twice a week i could do for sure

you are right though i don't feel comfortable in all the old threads i used to hang out in

nowvoyager908
May 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Oh, I so totally agree with you. The anti threads are the best. At least we have a sense of humor (with a heavy dose of sarcasm thrown in for good measure).

I don't know which amuses me more: the "squeeing" thread which kinds of strikes me as what a cheerleading competition would be like, minus the short skirts and pom poms of course. Or the sanctimonius "TPTB can do no wrong" threads that consider any dissent as treasonous. I try to stay out of these threads, but like the old car wreck analogy, sometimes you just can't look away even though you know you should. LOL.

I can't imagine why some fans are so excited about a show that has felt the need to reinvent itself every other season: Ford is in, Ford is out, hello Ronon. Beckett is recurring, Beckett is main cast, Beckett is dead, hello Keller. Beckett is resurrected. Goodbye Keller? Weir is in, Weir is fading, Weir is out, hello Carter (with more characters from SG1 sure to follow).

Most viewers of most programs would recognize this as a a big neon sign screaming "trouble ahead". LOL. But here it's considered a sign of creativity. :eek:

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Beckett is resurrected. Goodbye Keller?

is that true!? they will get rid of keller when beckett comes back?
that maybe the the best news i have heard in a long time :)

nowvoyager908
May 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM

No, I have no information. I was just theorizing about they would handle two docs on one show when most times they can't seem to figure out what to do with one. LOL. If Beckett were to return for more than one episode, what would they do with Keller. Ship her back to earth? Kill her off? Maybe she won't be in enough episodes to make much of an impression.

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
No, I have no information. I was just theorizing about they would handle two docs on one show when most times they can't seem to figure out what to do with one. LOL. If Beckett were to return for more than one episode, what would they do with Keller. Ship her back to earth? Kill her off? Maybe she won't be in enough episodes to make much of an impression.

well fact or not i think getting ride of her is a brilliant idea all around :)
it just never occured to me before

grasshopper64
May 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Sadly I don't think that's going to happen......

I think Beckett is only coming back for 2 eps, think it was meant to be 3 but cut down for some reason. Jewel Staite is signed on to do 8 eps if I'm right, I find her totally unconvincing personally, but sadly I doubt TPTB will get rid of her to bring Carson back, even if the show does go to an S5. I don't think we know if the two will be in the same eps........

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Sadly I don't think that's going to happen......

I think Beckett is only coming back for 2 eps, think it was meant to be 3 but cut down for some reason. Jewel Staite is signed on to do 8 eps if I'm right, I find her totally unconvincing personally, but sadly I doubt TPTB will get rid of her to bring Carson back, even if the show does go to an S5. I don't think we know if the two will be in the same eps........

ack true enough... i was happy for about 10 seconds there hehe
there were some rumours i think about paul coming back more for season 5, but i think atlantis will never see season 5

Klenotka
May 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
As much as I am not happy about the cast changes I have to say something. I like Jewel Staite. And yes, I know, she is too young for playing doctor and all. But we haven´t seen her yet. Only two minutes in First Strike. I don´t want to doom some character or actress only because she came instead of someone. Look at McKay and Zelenka. They work perfectly next to each other, so why couldn´t Carson and Keller? I know, it´s very rare that it can work so good like at McKay and Zelenka, but who knows? ;)

I know, anti-thread, this is just one positive thing for me. Look who came instead of Weir :mckay: :D It is the reason why to be angry, we know Carter and we know that her character is useless after 10 years. But it´s for another discussion in another thread.
Sorry for interupting, keep complaining :D

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
As much as I am not happy about the cast changes I have to say something. I like Jewel Staite. And yes, I know, she is too young for playing doctor and all. But we haven´t seen her yet. Only two minutes in First Strike. I don´t want to doom some character or actress only because she came instead of someone. Look at McKay and Zelenka. They work perfectly next to each other, so why couldn´t Carson and Keller? I know, it´s very rare that it can work so good like at McKay and Zelenka, but who knows? ;)

I know, anti-thread, this is just one positive thing for me. Look who came instead of Weir :mckay: :D It is the reason why to be angry, we know Carter and we know that her character is useless after 10 years. But it´s for another discussion in another thread.

i posted my reasons of disliking keller above i won't restate them
you are allowed to have your opinion and i respect it even if i don't agree with it. thank you for sharing it. :)

i still hope the show gets cancelled

nowvoyager908
May 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM
ack true enough... i was happy for about 10 seconds there hehe
there were some rumours i think about paul coming back more for season 5, but i think atlantis will never see season 5

Sorry if I gave you a false sense of hope, but I guess 10 seconds of happiness is better than nothing. ;)

BTW, since "Sunday" is on next week, last night's "The Ark" was my last first-run SGA episode. I'm boycotting the rest of the series on principle (doesn't that sound pathetic and self-important), but sometimes you have to make the tough choices. LOL. Although . . . The Ark was pretty blah so it isn't really that tough a choice.

Actually, I've "unofficially" seen much of the rest of the season (except Vengeance) and I would have watched again, but the outcome of "Sunday" is just wrong and so, the line in the sand has been drawn.

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Sorry if I gave you a false sense of hope, but I guess 10 seconds of happiness is better than nothing. ;)

BTW, since "Sunday" is on next week, last night's "The Ark" was my last first-run SGA episode. I'm boycotting the rest of the series on principle (doesn't that sound pathetic and self-important), but sometimes you have to make the tough choices. LOL. Although . . . The Ark was pretty blah so it isn't really that tough a choice.

Actually, I've "unofficially" seen much of the rest of the season (except Vengeance) and I would have watched again, but the outcome of "Sunday" is just wrong and so, the line in the sand has been drawn.

:lol: welcome to my side of the line hehehe

ah yes and the 10 secs..it was fun while it lasted hehe

nowvoyager908
May 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM

You have every right to state your opinion . . . not everybody hates everything that slated to happen in Sunday and beyond. People have various reasons for being anti-season 3.5 going on 4.

Personally, I have nothing against Keller except that she is replacing one of my favorite characters. I never watched Firefly, so I have no opinion about the actress. However, I think some viewers feel she is being added to the cast only to appeal to all the male teenagers that TPTB seem to think make up the majority of their audience. Those of us who aren't teenagers or male or any combination thereof feel like we're being "dissed" big time. LOL. Not to mention, a good actor playing a very likeable character got axed.

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
You have every right to state your opinion . . . not everybody hates everything that slated to happen in Sunday and beyond. People have various reasons for being anti-season 3.5 going on 4.

Personally, I have nothing against Keller except that she is replacing one of my favorite characters. I never watched Firefly, so I have no opinion about the actress. However, I think some viewers feel she is being added to the cast only to appeal to all the male teenagers that TPTB seem to think make up the majority of their audience. Those of us who aren't teenagers or male or any combination thereof feel like we're being "dissed" big time. LOL. Not to mention, a good actor playing a very likeable character got axed.

agreed! On all points except i did not enjoy her in firefly or as ellia

i do my best to respect others opinions.. i don't always succeed but i do try. I just wish others did the same

nowvoyager908
May 19th, 2007, 03:59 PM
agreed! On all points except i did not enjoy her in firefly or as ellia

i do my best to respect others opinions.. i don't always succeed but i do try. I just wish others did the same

LOL. Yeah, I think we're pretty laid back in this thread . . . angry and disappointed, but laid back nonetheless. Unfortunately, out there in other GW threads its a different story - you're allowed to voice your opinion as long as you agree with everybody else. Kind of like the GW version of the Stepford wives. ;)

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM
LOL. Yeah, I think we're pretty laid back in this thread . . . angry and disappointed, but laid back nonetheless. Unfortunately, out there in other GW threads its a different story - you're allowed to voice your opinion as long as you agree with everybody else. Kind of like the GW version of the Stepford wives. ;)

Oh man ain't that the truth in everyway

nowvoyager908
May 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, I broke a promise to myself and walked head first into the "them against us" wars. Its getting really ugly out there. You need to keep a hard hat and combat boots handy, just in case. I once said that posting about SGA was more enjoyable than actually watching. Well those heady days of innocence are over. LOL.

There are some posters advocating peace and a healthy debate, and I hope they're successful in changing the tone of the discussion. But I have my doubts because sides have formed and they seem pretty entrenched. As I posted earlier, we're pretty laid back in here despite being angry or disappointed about various changes slated for season 4. But this is the exception and not the norm. Very sad.

End of rant.

parisindy
May 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, I broke a promise to myself and walked head first into the "them against us" wars. Its getting really ugly out there. You need to keep a hard hat and combat boots handy, just in case. I once said that posting about SGA was more enjoyable than actually watching. Well those heady days of innocence are over. LOL.

There are some posters advocating peace and a healthy debate, and I hope they're successful in changing the tone of the discussion. But I have my doubts because sides have formed and they seem pretty entrenched. As I posted earlier, we're pretty laid back in here despite being angry or disappointed about various changes slated for season 4. But this is the exception and not the norm. Very sad.

End of rant.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))

jerkface
May 20th, 2007, 03:34 AM
*waves to the anti-people* Hello! I hope the love in other threads isn't getting you all down. :)

I watched the Ark again. I still liked it, somewhat phony miracle-ending aside; there were some nice Teyla moments. I was feeling happy. :teylaanime03:

And then I remembered they didn't hire Ken Cuperus back for Season 4. :teyla30:

So I sighed, and decided next time I would rewatch a bsg episode with Romo Lampkin in it instead.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/tenoria/lawyerwtcatgv1.gif

(Lovely RL icon by Myn MacGeek.)

mcbarr
May 20th, 2007, 06:27 AM
*waves to the anti-people* Hello! I hope the love in other threads isn't getting you all down. :)

Me too! Cause if this is some sort of plot to kill this thread, it won't work. The only way to put an end to the altercation is if TPTB themselves hint they plan to reverse some controversial decisions in the near future. If not, we will still be here complaining, they will still be there sucking up, and some fights will still break out every so often.

Just my pessimistic view.

mcbarr
May 20th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Nah, JF is almost one of us. :D

parisindy
May 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Nah, JF is almost one of us. :D

yup agreed :)

and the 'war' as it is now being called does get me down

i am tired of people assuming my evil intent...

i'm pretty sure i'm not evil...gads i am a vegitarian i can'e be evil can i?

wait don't answer that :lol:

stclare
May 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
yup agreed :)

and the 'war' as it is now being called does get me down

i am tired of people assuming my evil intent...

i'm pretty sure i'm not evil...gads i am a vegitarian i can'e be evil can i?

wait don't answer that :lol:

well to check if your an evil mastermind or not? ill need you to answer some basic questions.

1/ do you own a fluffy white persian cat - known as muffy

2/ do you have minions to do your bidding - preferably dressed in nija outfits

3/ do you twirl a black moustache - or brandish long black fingernails

4/ have you a plan in place to take over fandom ? if not why the hell not, your meant to be the evil one here...:D

if you answered yes to the above im afraid you need to book some air time on jerry springer.

sorry couldnt resist that lol!

mcbarr
May 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
LOL! What happened to the post before "JF is almost one of us"? Deleted? Cause people will think I'm talking to myself or something. Evil and crazy... Woohoo! :D (just joking, stclare ;))

parisindy
May 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM
well to check if your an evil mastermind or not? ill need you to answer some basic questions.

1/ do you own a fluffy white persian cat - known as muffy

*checks* nope calico cat named vegas and a black dog named shelby :), though i think the cat may be evil

2/ do you have minions to do your bidding - preferably dressed in nija outfits

oh dear erm... i teach martial arts so i will refrain from answering that question hehehehe

3/ do you twirl a black moustache - or brandish long black fingernails

short army green finger nails .. so phew there hehe, gads i hope i don't have a mustache... best get that waxed if i do :lol:

4/ have you a plan in place to take over fandom ? if not why the hell not, your meant to be the evil one here...:D

HA! Snork!

if you answered yes to the above im afraid you need to book some air time on jerry springer.

sorry couldnt resist that lol!

heheheh you;re my hero for making me laugh! http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/bearhug.gif

stclare
May 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM
parisindy

heheheh you;re my hero for making me laugh! http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/bearhug.gif

cool!! then my work here is done, things out there are way to serious at the mo :cool:

i still think fandom on jerry springer would be so funny.

nowvoyager908
May 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM
he has fans? hehe

on antoher note

can i ask a favour of you guys?

i just posted a long commentary here
http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=6692242&postcount=52

i don't expect you guys to agree with me or green me or anything but i was
wondering if you guys would help keep the peace if others become pirana's because of it?

if not thats cool to and i totally understand

i could just use a few friends right about now...
thanks (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Haven't had a chance to read your commentary because I'm stuck at work, but I will once I get a chance. Just wanted to let you know that you always have friends here. :) We're all not of the same mind, but at least we can consider this thread a save haven in the big, bad world of Stargate fandom. LOL.

Falcon Horus
May 21st, 2007, 06:48 AM
We're all not of the same mind, but at least we can consider this thread a save haven in the big, bad world of Stargate fandom.

Yup, that's the truth.

mcbarr
May 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM
can i ask a favour of you guys?

i just posted a long commentary here
http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=6692242&postcount=52

i don't expect you guys to agree with me or green me or anything but i was
wondering if you guys would help keep the peace if others become pirana's because of it?

if not thats cool to and i totally understand

i could just use a few friends right about now...
thanks (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

I agree with you, and I supported what you said in the "peace talks" thread, but fireman Teal'c deleted your post and mine.

Hallowed are the anti season 4 threads! :prioranime01:

stclare
May 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM
I agree with you, and I supported what you said in the "peace talks" thread, but fireman Teal'c deleted your post and mine.

Hallowed are the anti season 4 threads! :prioranime01:

hey guys is the above link the one thats been deleted on the peace talks thread? as i just went to read it and there was nought there? what the heck is going on :confused:

Falcon Horus
May 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
hey guys is the above link the one thats been deleted on the peace talks thread? as i just went to read it and there was nought there? what the heck is going on :confused:

Yes, that's the one that has disappeared into thin air. It didn't fit the Book of Origin. :p

Remnants of the post can still be found in this reply by Pegasus_SGA (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=6693139&postcount=75).

Suzotchka
May 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM
All I can say is THANK HEAVENS for the anti threads! :)

stclare
May 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, that's the one that has disappeared into thin air. It didn't fit the Book of Origin. :p

Remnants of the post can still be found in this reply by Pegasus_SGA (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=6693139&postcount=75).

thanks!

Falcon Horus
May 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
All I can say is THANK HEAVENS for the anti threads! :)

Kinda like it here? :p

thanks!

You're welcome. :)

Suzotchka
May 21st, 2007, 02:34 PM
Kinda like it here? :p

Like is an understatement! :P

mcbarr
May 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
So what happened to the cool anti s4 fellows? Moved on to greener pastures? Cause I'm almost doing the same myself. http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1521/animyawnqi7.gif

ToasterOnFire
May 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Hey, I'm still around and I have a feeling that I'll be posting in this thread for many months to come. ;)

ETA: There was a discussion on some thread a while ago where it was asked "Would you rather have Sam Carter come to Atlantis or a completely new character?" with the implication that Carter was better because TPTB wouldn't waste time developing her or giving her backstory. Now that I think about it, I'd rather have the new character because

a) just because Sam has had 10 years doesn't mean TPTB won't overdo her screentime on Atlantis.

b) more importantly - it would be a character that Atlantis can call its own and not one that has a 10 year history on the parent show! It would be an indication that TPTB were trying to make Atlantis stand on its own instead of propping it up with SG1.

I really worry that TPTB have wasted 3 years by not making Atlantis all that different or unique from SG1, and therefore Atlantis will tank next season when it doesn't have SG1 holding it up. I think that's what irritates me the most about this show - IMO it had so much potential and most of it was squandered. :( :mad:

Suzotchka
May 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hey, I'm still around and I have a feeling that I'll be posting in this thread for many months to come. ;)

I'm still around too. And I'm sure I'll be here sitting on the anti-couch.

ToasterOnFire
May 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Anti-couch, HA! There's always room for more. ;)

That should be code or something - "I didn't like this episode AT ALL so I'm going to the couch." :D :D

mcbarr
May 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
ETA: There was a discussion on some thread a while ago where it was asked "Would you rather have Sam Carter come to Atlantis or a completely new character?" with the implication that Carter was better because TPTB wouldn't waste time developing her or giving her backstory. Now that I think about it, I'd rather have the new character because

a) just because Sam has had 10 years doesn't mean TPTB won't overdo her screentime on Atlantis.

b) more importantly - it would be a character that Atlantis can call its own and not one that has a 10 year history on the parent show! It would be an indication that TPTB were trying to make Atlantis stand on its own instead of propping it up with SG1.

That's what I don't understand. Some folks keep saying there's some sort of "out with the old, in with the new" strategy for Stargate next season. But what they don't see/don't want to see is that Carter is the old, and Weir is the new. Hell, far from me suggesting Weir should go cause I'm kind of campaigning for her return, but if she had to (for whatever stupid reason), I'd certainly prefer a new SGA character to Carter. In fact, that's exactly what makes Keller more acceptable than Carter, IMHO.

nowvoyager908
May 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM

I really worry that TPTB have wasted 3 years by not making Atlantis all that different or unique from SG1, and therefore Atlantis will tank next season when it doesn't have SG1 holding it up. I think that's what irritates me the most about this show - IMO it had so much potential and most of it was squandered. :( :mad:

I think because Sam has had ten years on SG1, TPTB will overdo her presence on Atlantis. I'll be very surprised if they don't . . . it'll be just too easy for them. One of the reasons I was disappointed in part 2 of the Return was because of the heavy O'Neill/Woolsey moments. I felt that the the members of the SGA team were the guest stars in their own episode. If this is any indication of the mindset of TPTB, between Carter and McKay (with a little Shep thrown in for the pretty), there won't be room for anybody else.

Logically, and though I still don't like it, I can almost understand that with SG1 ending, TPTB would want to anchor its fans to SGA by crossing over a character. What I will never understand is how they hope to do this by dropping two relatively popular existing SGA characters at the same time. Beckett was so popular just a season ago that they bumped him from recurring to main and now he's expendable? I don't get this from any viewpoint: logically, statistcally, emotionally . . . whatever.

SGA has apparently been doing better in the ratings, or at least been more consistent, than SG1. It had such great potential. Yet they decide to revamp the show with the healtheir ratings to be more like the weaker cousin. I still think the best course would have been to add an SG1 character (if they absolutely had to) and keep the rest of the cast intact. I guess logic (at least my version of it) has no place in the entertainment industry. ;)

Oh, and I plan on being around for a while longer too . . . so please keep a space open on the anti-couch. LOL.

Suzotchka
May 23rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Oh, and I plan on being around for a while longer too . . . so please keep a space open on the anti-couch. LOL.

*scoots over* there's plenty of room! LOL :P

nowvoyager908
May 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
*scoots over* there's plenty of room! LOL :P

Thanks. At least I know I'll have a place to go to discuss all the "WTF" SGA moments sure to come. LOL.

Falcon Horus
May 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
*runs and jumps into the couch*

*wriggles a little*

Mmm...comfy! :D

Celcool
May 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
I'll be on the couch with ya all until Torri is back full time or until she's in the show. Then I'm most probably gone forever.

I wonder if the ratings stay as bad as they are at the moment if the show gets renewed anyway. We'll see if Irresponsible and the announced cast changes turned off fans forever.

nowvoyager908
May 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I'll be on the couch with ya all until Torri is back full time or until she's in the show. Then I'm most probably gone forever.

I wonder if the ratings stay as bad as they are at the moment if the show gets renewed anyway. We'll see if Irresponsible and the announced cast changes turned off fans forever.

I wonder about that myself. Now that the news has begun to filter out to viewers who were unspoiled up to now, is it influencing how they see the current season? I'm really curious to see how casual viewers react to Sunday, if they watch of course, and how that episode effects the ratings for the remaining episodes of season 3. Even if Season 4 proves to be a triumph dramatically (just saying ;) ), it may not matter if the casual viewer's connection to SGA is strained or broken by what happens now.

Celcool
May 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
I wonder about that myself. Now that the news has begun to filter out to viewers who were unspoiled up to now, is it influencing how they see the current season? I'm really curious to see how casual viewers react to Sunday, if they watch of course, and how that episode effects the ratings for the remaining episodes of season 3. Even if Season 4 proves to be a triumph dramatically (just saying ;) ), it may not matter if the casual viewer's connection to SGA is strained or broken by what happens now.
We'll see soon enough. :)

Found this smiley. http://bestsmileys.com/lazy/1.gif

mcbarr
May 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Biggest couch I could find on Google Images:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4646/anticouchup7.jpg

Parisindy can choose her spot when she returns to the anti s4 thread. :D

Suzotchka
May 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM

NICE! *claims an end*

Celcool
May 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM

Looks mighty comfy, I think I'll stay. ;)

Falcon Horus
May 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Cool couch. Can I sit in the middle? :D

grasshopper64
May 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

Brilliant! I suspect that couch might get a bit crowded during the coming weeks and months;)

parisindy
May 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
its a lovely chesterfield.. i might take the back http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/sofa.gif

do any of you read the stargate novels?

Suzotchka
May 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
its a lovely chesterfield.. i might take the back http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/sofa.gif

Welcome back!! ((((Paris))))

mcbarr
May 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM

do any of you read the stargate novels?

The heart and soul of the anti season 4 thread is back!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))) :D

BTW, I never read any Stargate novel. Maybe now would be a good time though, especially if certain SGA characters are still there. But you're right... If the crappiness level of season 4 is too high, we might all have to take the back of the couch to protect ourselves. :)

parisindy
May 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
awww you guys are the best ...made me sniffle http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/cry2.gifhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/grouphug2.gif

i swear the books and fan fic have get me sane through all the turmoil
i can make some recommends if you guys are interested

stclare
May 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
awww you guys are the best ...made me sniffle http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/cry2.gifhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/grouphug2.gif

i swear the books and fan fic have get me sane through all the turmoil
i can make some recommends if you guys are interested

HEY!! dont forget my seat on there id like the arm please so i can rest my remote on it ready to mute carter talking heheheh..

hey Paris, have read the novels, but found that both authors seemed to me at least to write Mckay really harshly and the team dynamic came across as unbalanced :(

dont mention fanfic to me ive already trolled through a new load of fic with the new changes. good writters, dont get me wrong but just seeing it out there makes me sad!

would like ant reccs you have though :)

Falcon Horus
May 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Can't find the books in this teenyweeny country I'm living in, so I stay with fanfic.
And I have to add that I don't read any of the stuff that includes changes from s4. I just can't.

But I have to admit to having a fic in which Dr. Keller appears alongside Dr. Beckett. It's AU obviously and I swear Carter will never make an appearance. I may write one where she accidently gets eaten by a wraith...oops, did I do that? ;)

parisindy
May 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Can't find the books in this teenyweeny country I'm living in, so I stay with fanfic.
And I have to add that I don't read any of the stuff that includes changes from s4. I just can't.

But I have to admit to having a fic in which Dr. Keller appears alongside Dr. Beckett. It's AU obviously and I swear Carter will never make an appearance. I may write one where she accidently gets eaten by a wraith...oops, did I do that? ;)

hehehehhehhehehe i would so read the one where she gets eaten by a wraith!

I need links people if you got non season 4 story links pass them on!

its okay if you guys don't read the books Sorry stclaire that rodney got treated badly ((hugs))

they just started carrying the books here so i bought a shwack of them
even got some sg-1 ones.

Shilio (sorry i could never spell her name right) wrote a fan fic story that also had keller in it, but i read it cause it also had carson, and a lovely special carson moment near the end which i adore... and well she is an absolutley fab writer!

Suzotchka
May 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
hehehehhehhehehe i would so read the one where she gets eaten by a wraith!

I need links people if you got non season 4 story links pass them on!

its okay if you guys don't read the books Sorry stclaire that rodney got treated badly ((hugs))

they just started carrying the books here so i bought a shwack of them
even got some sg-1 ones.

Shilio (sorry i could never spell her name right) wrote a fan fic story that also had keller in it, but i read it cause it also had carson, and a lovely special carson moment near the end which i adore... and well she is an absolutley fab writer!

Are you guys talking about the Atlantis books?

parisindy
May 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Are you guys talking about the Atlantis books?

yup :) amongst other things

mcbarr
May 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Are these the books you're referring to?

http://www.stargatenovels.com

They look pretty interesting. :)

parisindy
May 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
yup those are the one :)

mcbarr
May 28th, 2007, 03:35 PM
yup those are the one :)

Yeah, SGA is still SGA there. ;)

parisindy
May 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah, SGA is still SGA there. ;)

for a while anyways.. i truly dread all the fanfic crossing over.

have i mentioned i despise the keller character lately?

you know i never posted on an anti thread until the end of season 3
(random i know but hey)
were you guys anti before hand? Or had lots of issues before hand
even if you are not anti?

mcbarr
May 29th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Nope, I've never posted on an anti thread before. Actually, I've only started posting on GW on a regular basis after Sunday/First Strike. And, yeah, I had some issues with SGA before those eps, but nothing I couldn't live with.

Suzotchka
May 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM

(random i know but hey)

I've posted in the Anti-season 10 SG-1 thread before. I am anti S9 & 10 for SG-1. I just didn't enjoy it & have a lot of issues with those seasons.

As for Atlantis, I wasn't anti anything until all these casting changes came around. *plops on couch* so here I will sit.

Falcon Horus
May 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM

I wasn't anti before all the cast changes. I don't think I ever posted in an anti-thread before. I don't actually spend time in the SG1-threads, hardly ever been there. I don't even remember if I ever posted there.

I had some issues before but nothing too big, although Teyla being wallpaper is a big issue in season 3.

nowvoyager908
May 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM

(random i know but hey)

I never posted in an anti-thread before. In fact I had never heard of GW until earlier this year. I was one of those casual viewers everybody keeps talking about. I was just minding my own business, blissful in my ignorance of the stuff going on behind the scenes.

I wanted to find out when the back half of season 3 would be airing in the US and linked to this site. Boy, I was not happy to read the news about the cast changes. I kind of hoped it was nothing more than rumor. Didn't think TPTB could be that clueless. Who knew?

Killdeer
May 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM
*raising hand* I never posted at all before the cast changes. I've lurked, pretty casually, around here for a couple of years, mostly sticking to the home page and the news, popping in here occasionally to see what people's opinions were on one thing or another, but not dedicated to it. But I bought all the season sets as soon as they came out, and very actively chased spoilers, so I don't know that I could exactly be called a "casual" viewer. :D

The news that Carter was going to be in 14 episodes, and Weir was going to recurring, was a major major blow, and was what prompted me to break my lurking silence. I'm trying to remember back....I think I knew about Carson before that, or at least had a pretty good idea. It was all kind of a build up....several months with one piece of bad news after another, starting with the SG1 cancellation. I actually wasn't that unhappy with that, although I did wish they'd given it a year to wrap up its storyline. But then... it was just more and more bad news, and when I found out Carter was coming over for 14 eps and the strong implication was that she was replacing Weir, which we now know to be actually the case.... Well, that was just kind of my breaking point. :(

parisindy
May 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
i feel i was a bit of an ostrich.. i mean i kind of stuck to one or two threads until all the changes started happening... then i watched sunday and first strike and well i am here...

but truly i didn't look around much before that

i was a big chicken and i was kind of afraid of the other threads ... i certainly have come full circle lol

posted in one thread... posting in lots of threads... posting mostly in one thread
oh well thus is life, but thanks for anwering guys i was curious as to where others stood before the changes and what everyones back grounds were on this type of thing. thanks

i like it here as i am so incredibly sick of having everything i say picked apart

seattle_mary1979
May 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Thank god for finding this thread!!!

I just wanted to add my voice to the general level of disgust to what TPTB did to their golden goose. I mean it all started with sg1 leaving the air, which at least I can sorta understand, the cost was getting up there, but then it was followed by slap after slap after slap to the fans. I'm of course talking about this whole BS 'soft reseting' that they're doing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Carter, but I like Carter on sg1 and while I know that Amanda is just looking for a paycheck, I'm still annoyed that they think that they can just swap characters in a developed cast. Yeah yeah they did that on sg1 with RDA leaving, but they brought in a whole new character with a new story.

And don't get me started on the whole season 3 aka (as someone else mentioned perfectly) the "McKay & Sheppard Show." Yes, I like the characters, but oh my god, I do like the other characters too and last time I checked there was a pretty big bunch of em....though I guess their numbers are dwindling....wait maybe I'm on to something, I mean, afterall we won't need any Carter episodes and with two less characters, we can finally have more Shep/McKay storylines! Oh and lets not forget the oh soooo varied McKay lusts after Carter, who is disgusted by him scenes that will be sure to be played out over and over and over and over, well you get the idea.

I really can't find myself even the least bit excited over S4, I might watch a couple of episodes if I find it on and I don't have anything else to do, but honestly I doubt I'm gonna be a loyal watcher.

Ahhh, venting its good for the soul! I feel better already :)

parisindy
May 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
welcome

stclare
May 30th, 2007, 04:57 AM

(random i know but hey)

hi,

i didn't join GW untill I read about the cast changes on lj. i found that i needed somewhere to go and vent without having to justify myself upteen times - and there were the anti-threads and i am just realy greatfull to be able to post here.

i still scroll through other threads, but i rarely post anywhere but here now, as it feels like a minefield out here.

oh and of course we have the best couches around :cool:

mcbarr
May 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM
oh and of course we have the best couches around :cool:

Yes, we do! :D

parisindy
May 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
chesterfields! :D ...i made pop corn! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/parisindy/Smilies/popcorn.gif

sometimes a good rant is all that's needed

((hugs)) to those who listen and don't think every point must be argued and debated

its a bit weird to think though we anti's don't often agree with each other in here but we also don't often fight with each other either

Celcool
May 31st, 2007, 03:39 AM
Anti-S4 4ever! *lol* For me, Atlantis has 3 seasons, the first three and then it was over. Sadly, I might add, I've realy grown to love this show and I haven't been a fan for that long either, started watching with The Real World. Too bad my satisfaction with the show lasted this short. I was so happy to find a new show I loved after one of my other faves was cancelled. I thought that Atlantis was a sure thing and here I am again, at the end. :(

Suzotchka
May 31st, 2007, 06:15 AM
I still can't help but be angry that Carter is coming over to Atlantis. I will always like Carter - but on SG-1 which is where she belongs. And because TPTB didn't do the right thing to begin with and give her command of SG-1, we have to have her in Atlantis.

It's beginning to feel like Atlantis was the show that was cancelled - not SG-1.

This whole situation just makes me very sad. I loved this show.

parisindy
May 31st, 2007, 03:22 PM
Anti-S4 4ever! *lol* For me, Atlantis has 3 seasons, the first three and then it was over. Sadly, I might add, I've realy grown to love this show
yup thats exactly me! ((hugs))

It's beginning to feel like Atlantis was the show that was cancelled - not SG-1.

agree agree ((hugs))

mcbarr
May 31st, 2007, 04:41 PM
Anti-S4 4ever! *lol* For me, Atlantis has 3 seasons, the first three and then it was over. Sadly, I might add, I've realy grown to love this show

yup thats exactly me! ((hugs))

agree agree ((hugs))

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/336/borgif3.jpg

Hive mind! ;)

nowvoyager908
May 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Has anyone read the "Kavanaugh" thread. Looks like it turned into a bashing Weir thread instead. I know not everybody in our "anti" group is pro Weir, but as someone who is pro-Weir, I read all the negative comments made by other posters and I feel like I'm watching a completely different show. LOL.

Oh well, I made a promise to myself to stay out of most of the other threads on this board. I should make a better effort to stick to that promise, I'll be less aggravated in the end. :cool:

Do we have any room left on the couch?

Suzotchka
May 31st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Has anyone read the "Kavanaugh" thread. Looks like it turned into a bashing Weir thread instead. I know not everybody in our "anti" group is pro Weir, but as someone who is pro-Weir, I read all the negative comments made by other posters and I feel like I'm watching a completely different show. LOL.

Go and report the posts. It's a shame it's the same few people over and over again.

Oh well, I made a promise to myself to stay out of most of the other threads on this board. I should make a better effort to stick to that promise, I'll be less aggravated in the end. :cool:

Do we have any room left on the couch?

Better yet, put them on ignore.

Sure have a seat on the plushy couch! :)

mcbarr
May 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM
I've made some posts there myself defending Kavanaugh as an original SGA character. I'm pro-Weir, though. But, yeah, there are many posts in that thread which are clearly off-topic and as such should be reported. Hmm, I guess I'll start doing that just to piss off the moderators. ;)

parisindy
May 31st, 2007, 08:15 PM
*plunks down on the chesterfield*

i don't think that makes the mods angry i think they appreciate it to a certain extent, thats the impression i got.

i am trying to stay out of most of the stargate threads, i sometimes snoop but and the very odd time post but i am trying not to,

i swear we really do watch a different show, i am simply tired and frustrated....

and its sad cause i love old Atlantis

love the borg i am snurching that :D

Celcool
May 31st, 2007, 09:40 PM
*hugseverybodytoo*

Just went to check out the thread, you guys are awesome, keep posting such things. *g*

I've made some posts there myself defending Kavanaugh as an original SGA character. I'm pro-Weir, though. But, yeah, there are many posts in that thread which are clearly off-topic and as such should be reported. Hmm, I guess I'll start doing that just to piss off the moderators. ;)
Do report them if you feell it's off topic, it can't hurt. I posted there too, Kavanough is good for some drama with Elizabeth, I don't mind him that much, sure he's annoying but I love the way Elizabeth handles him. I posted this in the thread.

Wish I had some green (or redmuahaha) left.

parisindy
May 31st, 2007, 09:48 PM
hehe i have green but my green has all been used on you guys and won't work anymore hehe what if i don't want to spread it around! :mckay: :lol:

Suzotchka
June 1st, 2007, 06:46 AM
*plunks down on the chesterfield*

i don't think that makes the mods angry i think they appreciate it to a certain extent, thats the impression i got.

i am trying to stay out of most of the stargate threads, i sometimes snoop but and the very odd time post but i am trying not to,

i swear we really do watch a different show, i am simply tired and frustrated....

and its sad cause i love old Atlantis

love the borg i am snurching that :D

I agree. The best thing to do is report the post and let the mods handle it. Besides, some people love stirring the pot. Best to let the mods handle things.

I also agree with you about being tired and frustrated.

Falcon Horus
June 1st, 2007, 07:14 AM
Total random post coming up...

Every time I hear Nelly Furtado's 'All Good Things (Come To An End)', I can't help but think of Atlantis. Have been associating it with Atlantis ever since I first heard the song, which was around the time the first news of season 4 was leaked.

mcbarr
June 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Battlestar Ending Next Season

The producers of SCI FI Channel's Battlestar Galactica confirmed that the upcoming fourth season will be the show's last. Executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick said that it was a creative decision to end the acclaimed series with the upcoming 22-episode season.

"This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end," Eick and Moore said in a statement on May 31. "Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there: We're going out with a bang."

SCI FI Wire (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41709&type=0)

So, what do you think? Will crappy SGA season 4 also be the last? Cause the 100 eps theory doesn't make sense anymore. I imagine SGA will have to earn incredibly good ratings next season to be renewed...

Falcon Horus
June 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM
So, what do you think? Will crappy SGA season 4 also be the last? Cause the 100 eps theory doesn't make sense anymore. I imagine SGA will have to earn incredibly good ratings next season to be renewed...

Can't really form an opinion on BSG, since I have only seen 2 hours of it so far. One of our local channels picked it up ... finally.
But if Atlantis is all that remains of the original scifi-friday-line-up, then I'm afraid it won't make it into it's 5th season, which in my honest opinion would be a darn shame since it has (had) so much potential.

What follows is going to sound completely wacked and pretty conspiracy-theory-ish. You have been warned.

SciFi cancels SG1. Ratings, costs ... reasons aren't exactly crystal-clear. They force TPTB to add Carter to the cast of Atlantis and to get rid of Weir. They hope they will loose viewers, those that are completely against the changes being made. They hope ratings will fall and thus get a legitimate reason to cancel the show.

mcbarr
June 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Add the second half season 3 hiatus to that, and I'm afraid it's not a conspiracy theory anymore.

Falcon Horus
June 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM
Add the second half season 3 hiatus to that, and I'm afraid it's not a conspiracy theory anymore.

Good point. Unfortunately.

nowvoyager908
June 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
SCI FI Wire (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41709&type=0)

I guess it all depends on how desperate SciFi is for programming . . .and of course, how expensive it is for them to air SGA. Obviously, the ratings are not that great. ECW gets better ratings (which is kind of scary to think about) and even re-runs of Enterprise on Monday nights (which I watch) seem to be doing almost as well as first runs of SG1 or SGA.

IMHO, the changes they are making won't move the ratings perceptibly. Those who may tune in just to see Carter, for example, will most likely be counterbalanced by those who tune out because they don't want to see Carter . . . and miss Weir and/or Beckett. But, add in a fall release date, and SGA faces an uphill battle. Which is a shame, because the show had great potential and I would have continued to watch until the bitter end if not for the changes.

Celcool
June 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
I guess it all depends on how desperate SciFi is for programming . . .and of course, how expensive it is for them to air SGA. Obviously, the ratings are not that great. ECW gets better ratings (which is kind of scary to think about) and even re-runs of Enterprise on Monday nights (which I watch) seem to be doing almost as well as first runs of SG1 or SGA.

IMHO, the changes they are making won't move the ratings perceptibly. Those who may tune in just to see Carter, for example, will most likely be counterbalanced by those who tune out because they don't want to see Carter . . . and miss Weir and/or Beckett. But, add in a fall release date, and SGA faces an uphill battle. Which is a shame, because the show had great potential and I would have continued to watch until the bitter end if not for the changes.
You have a point and agreed about the part I bolded, I'd watch it till the end too.

I hope the ratings for Sunday are low because if they're anywhere near decent then they will have achieved what they wanted with Carson's death.

Falcon Horus
June 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
I hope the ratings for Sunday are low because if they're anywhere near decent then they will have achieved what they wanted with Carson's death.

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought about that. Well, I hate to say it, but I hope they spiked downwards and not upwards.

mcbarr
June 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
He, he... I've finally received my first two "reds". They're kind of a compliment, though. Maybe I'll share them with you. :D

Celcool
June 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
He, he... I've finally received my first two "reds". They're kind of a compliment, though. Maybe I'll share them with you. :D
Congrats! ;) Do share, if you want to of course. :)

nowvoyager908
June 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM

I think the real test will be what the ratings are for next week. If the average viewier wasn't spoiled, he/she wouldn't have any idea of what was planned for Carson. The ratings for next week (Submerged ?) might be a better barometer of how viewers react to this week's episode.

jerkface
June 2nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
*settles into couch for momentary, meandering rant, arms crossed peevishly*

You know, I can understand, and in some cases, agree with the criticisms of Weir as a character. I think they had her approve some of the worst plans of S2 and 3. If there were serious moral problems with the expeditions' actions in those plotlines (and I'd say there were—eugenics-like genetic manipulation, torture for information, attempted genocide-like destruction of enemies), she was one of the people in charge during those plotlines.

But I'm more than a little disturbed at the way in which this all gets put on Weir's head in particular. Is there any strong, anti-Beckett argument being made for his involvement in the main plot? Or anti-Sheppard? Anti-McKay? Any real animus toward those characters for their recent decisions? (I don't mean these questions entirely rhetorically, if anyone's heard one, I'd be interested to read it.)

I just don't get how it makes sense to criticize one character for something all the main characters are guilty of. I still like Weir as a character because I look at this as the writers' problem; it seems like we haven't been shown why she and Beckett and Sheppard and McKay decided to carry out a lot of the actions they did, so I have trouble judging the characters themselves.

And I don't even know how to talk about the fact that some of the arguments I've heard against Weir (talking with female friends, even) use gendered language to criticize her (i.e. she made this decision too "emotionally").

It's like somehow she's more guilty because she's a woman. Do the writers intend to imply that if she fails morally, she's more guilty than a male character who made the same moral mistake?

Then I look at the character they're replacing her with, and I'm more troubled. As much as I liked Carter when I watched SG-1, it did seem like as the seasons went on, the writers built her up into more of a perfect person than they let any of the other main characters be. And this reads to me like the other side of the Weir coin; if a female character's going to be likable, she has to be unquestionably, morally pure in a way male characters don't have to be.

Grah. I don't know. I find myself thinking, "maybe you're just expecting too much from Stargate," but I don't think I used to have such low expectations. The really sad thing is, watching recent SG stuff, I even start to doubt that what I used to enjoy was very good, but that probably is the pessimism talking.

mcbarr
June 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Congrats! ;) Do share, if you want to of course. :)

Nah, I don't want to embarrass anyone, but let me give you a hint. One thinks I'm responsible for fandom infighting. The other has issues with women, and (I don't know why because I wasn't talking to him) felt offended with a comment I made in the PRO Cavanagh topic. Interestingly enough, I wasn't the first to use the controversial term in the thread.

I think the real test will be what the ratings are for next week. If the average viewier wasn't spoiled, he/she wouldn't have any idea of what was planned for Carson. The ratings for next week (Submerged ?) might be a better barometer of how viewers react to this week's episode.

Not sure. Maybe the viewers will tune in just to check if Beckett is really dead? I find SG-1 ratings surprisingly low though given the fact that the current season is the last one. Then some people think SG-1 is the answer to all their problems. Go figure!

You know, I can understand, and in some cases, agree with the criticisms of Weir as a character. I think they had her approve some of the worst plans of S2 and 3. If there were serious moral problems with the expeditions' actions in those plotlines (and I'd say there were—eugenics-like genetic manipulation, torture for information, attempted genocide-like destruction of enemies), she was one of the people in charge during those plotlines.

But I'm more than a little disturbed at the way in which this all gets put on Weir's head in particular. Is there any strong, anti-Beckett argument being made for his involvement in the main plot? Or anti-Sheppard? Anti-McKay? Any real animus toward those characters for their recent decisions? (I don't mean these questions entirely rhetorically, if anyone's heard one, I'd be interested to read it.)

I just don't get how it makes sense to criticize one character for something all the main characters are guilty of. I still like Weir as a character because I look at this as the writers' problem; it seems like we haven't been shown why she and Beckett and Sheppard and McKay decided to carry out a lot of the actions they did, so I have trouble judging the characters themselves.

And I don't even know how to talk about the fact that some of the arguments I've heard against Weir (talking with female friends, even) use gendered language to criticize her (i.e. she made this decision too "emotionally").

It's like somehow she's more guilty because she's a woman. Do the writers intend to imply that if she fails morally, she's more guilty than a male character who made the same moral mistake?

Then I look at the character they're replacing her with, and I'm more troubled. As much as I liked Carter when I watched SG-1, it did seem like as the seasons went on, the writers built her up into more of a perfect person than they let any of the other main characters be. And this reads to me like the other side of the Weir coin; if a female character's going to be likable, she has to be unquestionably, morally pure in a way male characters don't have to be.

Grah. I don't know. I find myself thinking, "maybe you're just expecting too much from Stargate," but I don't think I used to have such low expectations. The really sad thing is, watching recent SG stuff, I even start to doubt that what I used to enjoy was very good, but that probably is the pessimism talking.

Perfect! Green for you! :)

nowvoyager908
June 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM

You make some excellent points. One of the reasons I like Weir is because she isn't perfect. She isn't some modern-day saint who always does and says the right thing. She makes mistakes and has doubts, and regrets some of the decisions she's made. But, she doesn't operate in a vacuum. Yes, she has the final say as the expedition leader, but her decision-making includes conferring with her team and taking their opinions into consideration before acting. I doubt she would act without the tacit agreement of Shep or McKay or Beckett . . . but they are never held accountable. As you say, its all on her head.

As an example, what was the episode where McKay's ego was responsible for the death of a crewman and the destruction of 3/4's of a solar system. What was his punishment? Shep didn't talk to him for an episode. LOL.

I especially like the comment in bold. I never thought of it that way, but it's obvious that, consciously or not, women leaders are held to a much different standard than male leaders (by both TPTB and many fans). Its the old "woman as Madonna" riff, with the woman being held captive on a pedestal of impossible standards. And if she doesn't meet those standards, she's forever damned. Poor girl can't win.

I also believe that many are just not comfortable with a civilian woman in charge. I think many fans are familiar with the SG1 concept, which was male-led and military. I've noticed that many fans seems unable or unwilling to embrace a different concept, and I think their frustration boils over to being critical, to the point of obsession, of a character that doesn't fit the mold. IMHO, the same actions by a male or a military commander would be viewed very differently.

A friend once joked that you should aim low so that you won't have far to fall when your expectations are not met. Doesn't seem like much of a joke when talking about the new and improved SGA. LOL.

mcbarr
June 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
I also believe that many are just not comfortable with a civilian woman in charge. I think many fans are familiar with the SG1 concept, which was male-led and military. I've noticed that many fans seems unable or unwilling to embrace a different concept, and I think their frustration boils over to being critical, to the point of obsession, of a character that doesn't fit the mold. IMHO, the same actions by a male or a military commander would be viewed very differently.

I agree. If a Caldwell-type character, or even Carter made the same decisions as Dr. Weir, they would be viewed as awesome, badass etc. On the other hand, when a female civilian makes tough decisions, she's automatically arrogant, irresponsible, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

parisindy
June 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
man you guys have made some awesome posts

i would green you all if i could...

damn i'm going to miss her http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/down2.gif

well i guess in someways i won't cause i won't watch the new stuff..
in reality its all of atlantis that i will miss

Falcon Horus
June 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
well i guess in someways i won't cause i won't watch the new stuff..
in reality its all of atlantis that i will miss

What about the episodes that have Weir?

I'm already providing a free-of-Carter credits.

Cutting her out of the episodes will be slightly harder to do, but maybe I could give that a try as well. A way to preserve the original Atlantis-show.

mcbarr
June 3rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
Cutting her out of the episodes will be slightly harder to do, but maybe I could give that a try as well. A way to preserve the original Atlantis-show.

Harder, but totally worth it! :D

Celcool
June 3rd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Jerkface and nowvoyager908 great posts! Wish I could express myself the way you do. Greened ya.

Yes, you have a point, their plan is for Sunday to also provide ratings for all the rest of the episodes up to the finale and for the finale so the show will have more chances to be picked up for another season. How they figure that plan would work is beyond me. We'll see if Sunday will have the same effect on ratings as Irresponsible did. *lol*

Nah, I don't want to embarrass anyone, but let me give you a hint. One thinks I'm responsible for fandom infighting. The other has issues with women, and (I don't know why because I wasn't talking to him) felt offended with a comment I made in the PRO Cavanagh topic. Interestingly enough, I wasn't the first to use the controversial term in the thread.
I have an idea who those two are. But of course I can't know for sure. :P

nowvoyager908
June 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Jerkface and nowvoyager908 great posts! Wish I could express myself the way you do. Greened ya.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I think I spend waaaay too much time thinking about a show I dont' really want to watch any more. LOL. Conventional wisdom would say - so get the hell out. But I have almost three years invested in this stupid show and I hate the idea of just walking away. Oh well, I guess my masochistic streak is alive and well.

mcbarr
June 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
I know what you mean. Maybe we should ask those three years back... Nah! :)

parisindy
June 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
What about the episodes that have Weir?

honestly i told my friends i would watch the ones with carson in it, and of course i adore weir. but as of right now i am feeling so disappointed in the whole thing,(the show and the fandom) i don't think i can watch 'the fall of elizabeth' if that makes sense... sort of like watching sunday all over again... just too sad. i realize that probably sounds completely irrational lol.

I mean heck i adore carson and weir but my fav is shep and i'm not even going to watch the show for him... its the 'team' dynamic that i loved.

but you never know... i will base my reaction on what you guys say... i let you guys do the pre-screening for me... :lol:

Thanks. Unfortunately, I think I spend waaaay too much time thinking about a show I dont' really want to watch any more. LOL. Conventional wisdom would say - so get the hell out. But I have almost three years invested in this stupid show and I hate the idea of just walking away. Oh well, I guess my masochistic streak is alive and well.

i got to agree 100% there i have tried to walk away no less then 3 times.. and yet i am still here, but i got to say you guys are the reason i am still hanging around http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/bearhug.gif

even though i was told by someone i wasn't welcome in the anti thread anymore... but one icky comment does not represent the group.
at least i hope not http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/down2.gif

Falcon Horus
June 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
but you never know... i will base my reaction on what you guys say... i let you guys do the pre-screening for me... :lol:

Then that is what we shall do. ;)

even though i was told by someone i wasn't welcome in the anti thread anymore... but one icky comment does not represent the group.
at least i hope not http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/down2.gif

Don't you dare stay away from this thread? :sheppard33:
I'll haul your a$$ back in, I swear. We've been saving you a seat in the couch. :zelenka25:

parisindy
June 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Then that is what we shall do. ;)

Don't you dare stay away from this thread? :sheppard33:
I'll haul your a$$ back in, I swear. We've been saving you a seat in the couch. :zelenka25:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/parisindy/Smilies/grouphugcool.gif
THANK YOU! you guys are the best :o

Suzotchka
June 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM

That's right. One not so nice comment does not represent the group.

Come sit on the couch! :)

nowvoyager908
June 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM
even though i was told by someone i wasn't welcome in the anti thread anymore... but one icky comment does not represent the group. at least i hope not http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/down2.gif

No, of course not. One comment does not represent the group. It wouldn't be the same without your input. :D We need to stick together.

Falcon Horus
June 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
United we stand, divided we fall!

nowvoyager908
June 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
United we stand, divided we fall!

Or as Jack from Lost would say - "Live together, die alone". :cool:

ToasterOnFire
June 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
There's always room on the couch for everyone!! :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/smart_p3anut/sofa_boy.jpg

mcbarr
June 3rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Nice puppy! I'll gladly share the couch with the smart fellow. :)

Edit: Heh, I guess everyone is afraid of dogs in this thread. :p

Killdeer
June 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm not afraid - cute picture! :D

Here's a question for the fencesitters, of whom I am one. I'm not trying to exclude those who are not going to be watching S4 - I'm just curious about something. I thought about starting a new thread, but decided that I had started several new threads lately and didn't feel like starting another one. So I'm asking this here. If someone wants to make a thread out of it, feel free. But getting to the point, after beating the bush to death! :D

What would be your breaking point? By that, I mean, what could they do in S4 to cause you to turn off the TV, walk away, never watch another new episode? Obviously, some of you have already reached that point, and that's fine. But for the ones who haven't... what would push you over the edge?

The reason I ask is that there's a couple things that have come up in discussion in various threads that I realized would probably be my breaking points, or pretty close to that. So I'm wondering what other people think. Obviously one person's breaking point might be another's most wonderful thing...everyone has different opinions. This is just for discussion.

Here's some things that I think would be the breaking point for me:
1) Rodney treated badly, or mockingly, by the team after Carter's arrival, similar to what happened in Pegasus Project, or sidelined by increased focus on Carter.
2) An emphasis on any ship that breaks down the main team dynamic.
3) Atlantis used as a stage for the resolution of the Sam/Jack ship. (Let me say however that I think this one is HIGHLY unlikely. It's just something that came up on another thread).

So what do you all think?

Klenotka
June 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
For me definitely the first one. I hate Pegasus Project and if this will start in Adrift already, I think I would think twice to watch next episode.
And I would mind if they pushed Radek aside, too. If Carter arrives in Adrift and will just connect her notebook via USB cable to Ancient database and will come up with solution, it would be very poor beginning for me.:mckay:

Two, sure, and I hope they won´t ship anyone. Especially not McKay or Sheppard with her. I still hope that she will stay there only in S4.

Killdeer
June 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
For me definitely the first one. I hate Pegasus Project and if this will start in Adrift already, I think I would think twice to watch next episode.
And I would mind if they pushed Radek aside, too. If Carter arrives in Adrift and will just connect her notebook via USB cable to Ancient database and will come up with solution, it would be very poor beginning for me.:mckay:

I so completely agree.

Two, sure, and I hope they won´t ship anyone. Especially not McKay or Sheppard with her. I still hope that she will stay there only in S4.

Well, I don't know about only staying for S4, but I think JoeM is a fan of the Jack/Sam ship, so I highly doubt Carter will be shipped with anyone else. I think the most likely ship to be pushed is John/Teyla, but we'll see. My concern is not because I'm a Shweir fan (because I'm so not), but because I really can't see a John/Teyla ship being good for the team. :S And the team is what's most important to me.

mcbarr
June 4th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I suppose I'm beyond breaking point. :( For me there are/were three untouchable characters in Atlantis: Dr. Weir, Sheppard and McKay. Mess with any of them and Atlantis is ruined for me. The writers did just that, and to make things even worse they killed Dr. Beckett. So frak them, I say. :mckay:

Falcon Horus
June 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Breakingpoints...

I think the moment the stories are no longer fresh and interesting I might have to say I will stop finding other ways of catching the episodes, you know the more illegal ways, and wait till one of our local channels picks it up maybe in 2 or 3 years from now. (we've only gotten season 1 so far)

Other reasons I could think of is if they over-focus on Carter, rehashing of SG1-stories, killing off more characters (I doubt they'll kill of my favorite any time soon since she's not seen that very often, all they can really do is forget she's a member of the expedition and we'll just never see or hear from her again), dispose of the Wraith maybe and keep the Asurans as sole enemy (hello, they are extremely boring as a race), bring in more SG1-characters hoping to keep that show alive through Atlantis, the Sam/Jack-shipping...

I swear, if they even reference to the S/J-ship, I'll throw something at the TV. I hate that ship with a vengeance.

I will probably keep on watching till the end, but as I said in paragraph 1. If my interest fades, it would solely mean I'd wait for the DVD's to arrive and/or watch it on TV. My downloading doesn't make a dent in the ratings, I don't count as a viewer (mental note:remember to write this in my letter to scifi or whoever I will write to concerning my worries on all the changes ... not the downloading, the viewer-thing). Once I start watching a show, I'll watch it to the end, even if that ending sucks so badly it's hard sitting through an entire episode.

But be sure to know that I will post my opinion on the episodes. If I think they could have used their (Canadian) dollars better, I will say so. But I too will say when I like something. I'm just not going to be having my hopes up too high. If I don't expect much, it won't hurt so much when it's bad, and the other way around will have me pleasantly surprised if it's better than I expected.

parisindy
June 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM

awwww love his toque! :D

i already had my breaking points, as you all know hehe....
get rid of two characters i love pointlessly and mess up the team dynamic,
make the other characters act unlike themselves
disrespecting the actors (ie phoning them to fire them)

acting like carson never died...

bringing in a character from another show

Falcon Horus
June 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
awwww love his toque!

It's to hide his Goa'uld-tattoo. He used to be the First Dog to Lord Anubis.

parisindy
June 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM

It's to hide his Goa'uld-tattoo. He used to be the First Dog to Lord Anubis.

heheheh OH DEAR! please don't tell me he's bald under there ! http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/eek3.gif

Falcon Horus
June 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
heheheh OH DEAR! please don't tell me he's bald under there ! http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/eek3.gif

That would be weird. :p

parisindy
June 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
That would be weird. :p

hehehehe but funny not that i would ever do that :D

mcbarr
June 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hey, don't mess with our new fellow! :D

Koshi700
June 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
**sigh** I have never ever posted to an Anti season thread before. But sadly I have found my faith in this show severly shaken in the last few months. For me it has nothing to do with the episodes or how well they are written. When it comes to the episodes, I pretty much take them as they are and enjoy most of them. My only beef in the writing department, is the lack of writing for any other characters other then Shep and Rodney. And I'm a HUGE McKay fan. I adore him. So that is saying something. I have felt cheated to some degree, because as much as I love McKay, I really like the other characters too, and I want to know what makes them tick.

My main beef with the show is all the changes that have been made, Killing off Carson nearly made me stop watching right then and there even with McKay still on the show. I literally had to talk myself into watch it again. Carson is my second favourite character and to just get rid of him like that hurt, and bringing on Jewel just smacked of "Let's bring on another set of boobs to get the guy's attention" I hope I don't wind up resenting her over this, because I loved her in Firefly. But darn it, she replaced Carson! That's gotta be some serious bad Karma there.

And even though Weir is probably one of my least favourite characters, that is mostly because I know next to nothing about her, I still like her. For Torri to basically be given the choice of "our way or the highway" is just wrong. It ticked me off and made me so disgusted with TPTB.

My main huge chunk of beef with the changes is bringing on Carter. What are TPTB thinking? Yes Carter is a great character for SG1, but she's useless on SGA!! If we need technobabble and genius we have Rodney, and if he's not available we have Radek. If you need military we have Sheppard, or Lorne, or Caldwell. (If they absolutaley HAD to bring over someone from SG1 that was military I would rather have had Jack, and he would have made more sense. IMHO ) And Weir is the leader of Atlantis, granted at the moment she seems a little weak, but dang it thats what GOOD writing is for! Fix it PTB, don't just sweep it under the rug! If the rumors are true and Carter really does permantly replace her, I will be seriously ticked off, possibly to the point of turning off my tv.

Basically way too many sweeping changes in to short of a time, even with Carson coming back for two eps in season 4 (and that could seriously come back to bite us on the butt).

So, at any rate, I'm very troubled about season 4, I will probably watch, at least at first so that I can see what happens, but I'm not sure if I'll make it through the whole season. I have never ever been as disgusted with a show as I am right now. Ever. I have never actually dreaded watching a show before. Usually I can just let stuff roll off my back. I guess it shows just how much I've come to love this show and it's characters. But alas that may not come to mean much in the end.