Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man i hate crossover but if there had to be one why couldn't we have vala instead, she wouldn't have had to bump anyone and i think she would have fit in better then same.

what i think is sad to is that all the fanfic will now be about season 4, i'm not going to have anything to read.

thank goodness for supenatural fanfic!
    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
    ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
    Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Vala? On Atlantis? HELL NO! We have had many "last straws" on Atlantis recently, but that would outright kill it. Forever. No going back. The show would be so completely and thoroughly destroyed, so stripped of integrity, so devoid of morality and so overwhelmingly vapid that it would effectively die on the spot. There would never again be any hope of saving the show and no chance that things might get better. It'd be beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel, it'd be digging into the sludge beneath the barrel.

Vala is the antithesis of all that Atlantis is and all that it could be. She's nothing but a joke, and not a very good one at that, IMO. Her coming to Atlantis would serve no real, plot-relevant purpose at all. I'd buy Siler crossing over before I'd buy Vala; Siler, at least, is a semi-rational character.

And if you think some eps have been over the top before, they'd be NOTHING compared with the extreme level of BS that would result from Vala's presence. What possible, realistic purpose could she serve, other than to act as yet another "frak you" reminder of SG-1's existence? Every tie she has is to SG-1 and the few valid (or vaguely valid) points to her character's existence are ALL related to SG-1, the Ori and events in the Milky Way galaxy. Bring Vala and she'd bring her baggage with her. No thank you.

I may hate what the show has become, but if I were to find anything good to say about the upcoming season, it'd be "At least Vala won't be in it."

Comment

Ah Atlantis, how I miss thee.

Season 1 held so much promise - especially the second half from The Storm onwards. The inhabitants had a focus, a reason to put themselves in harms way and explore. Now it seems they just exist, making questionable decisions and leaping 'round the screen in action-figure poses. An ensemble cast of GI Joes.

I really think this show has lost its spark, kinda like the first episode of SG1, season 8, where Jack made the joke about T'ealc playing a Jaffa on TV. It wasn't funny and SG1 is not a show where the fourth wall needs to be broken, yet the gag spoke volumes of the quality of the writers (actually, I have no idea who wrote that episode, but their style has rubbed off on SG:A if nothing else). I'm not sure when this "yep, the show's gone" moment happened in SG:A, but it seems to have existed for at least most of season 3 and I expect it to continue into season 4.

The quality of writing just isn't there. Dialogue is fairly uninspiring at the best of times and plots come pre-packed with holes large enough to pilot an Aurora class warship through. Even when they get a concept right, the episode is ruined somehow. Take for example, The Ark. Great idea, powerful execution of key plot points, but ruined by the ridiculous antics of GI Sheppard.
        Spoiler:
        (sure, let's safely pilot a fuel-less, 400 year old alien space vessel - never seen before by humans - through a burning asteroid, through a planets atmosphere at terminal velocity and crash onto a continent - also never seen before by humans - without totally destroying said space vessel, or even sustaining a scratch)
        . Seriously, an ending that corny I struggle to remember that the episode actually had some really good moments.

Consistency is the key. Consistency of character, consistency of plot (even consistency of plot devices would be nice - personal shield, I'm glaring at you!). I don't think the writers can do it all without breaking something else.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
          Thank goodness there is also an anti-season four thread. All those people who gush over how wonderful the lame duck "First Strike" is and how excited they are about Carter joining make me want to shoot something.
          I'm so tired of going through episode threads and seeing the comments:

"OMG, THE SPECIAL EFFECTS WHERE INCREDIBLE!!! THIS EPISODE ROCKS!!! THIS WAS THE BEST EVER!!!"

Since when do effects make an episode (or anything for that matter) better? If there is no story or character development, then it is a crummy show.

Same goes for those few who gush, "OMG HE/SHE IS SO HOT!" Nevermind that the character is the same week after week and he or she can be downright boring. As long as they look HOT, they are just the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If Mallozzi and Co. can find a way to flesh out characters and not depend so much on effects and hot, young actors/actresses, maybe we'll have a good show again, but with his comments about "Irresistible", I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
            I'm so tired of going through episode threads and seeing the comments:

"OMG, THE SPECIAL EFFECTS WHERE INCREDIBLE!!! THIS EPISODE ROCKS!!! THIS WAS THE BEST EVER!!!"

Since when do effects make an episode (or anything for that matter) better? If there is no story or character development, then it is a crummy show.

Same goes for those few who gush, "OMG HE/SHE IS SO HOT!" Nevermind that the character is the same week after week and he or she can be downright boring. As long as they look HOT, they are just the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If Mallozzi and Co. can find a way to flesh out characters and not depend so much on effects and hot, young actors/actresses, maybe we'll have a good show again, but with his comments about "Irresistible", I'm not so sure.
            Different people like the show for different reasons, you don't decide what makes a show crummy and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Different people like the show for different reasons, you don't decide what makes a show crummy and what doesn't.
              I tend to agree with GL. I find STORY and CHARACTERIZATION much more important than blowing up stuff. I get tired of some people who ramble on about how gorgeous someone is (looks don't make a person interesting to me), or how an episode is the "best" simply because it has great CGI. IMO, SGA is focusing too much on special effects and "pretty" people lately.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I loved SGA season 1, especially the second half. It won my heart over SG-1. I think season 2 was pretty good except a few episodes like The Tower or Epiphany. I was optimistic for season 3 but jeeez, the first ep I just though 'oh hey, that was predictable'. I liked *seven* episodes out of twenty from season 3. I was dozing off during Irresponsible and The Ark. Then there were the characters rumors and I got more pessimistic about it. I sat through Sunday and First Strike, dreading what I knew was bound to happen.

Now all those spoilers that keep floating around, I ain't no longer watching because I don't need this. I love Carter, but on SG-1. I was against her coming to Atlantis from the very beginning.

I have to say I agree with GateLadyM (and pretty much the rest of you), I'm, too, tired of the 'OMG look at those special effects', the McKay/Sheppard show, the fairly predictableness (is that a word?) of the plot, how the female characters are written (or not written so it seems)...I could go on and on and on.

The thing is, the show doesn't need 'fresh blood' or 'soft reset', I think it needs better writing. And of course there's the "smart" move bringing Carter to Atlantis in order to gain more viewers from the SG-1/AT fans. I know people who are heavily into SG-1 and AT and when I told them in the beginning that SGA is a great show and they should watch it, they said 'nah, pffft, it's stupid.' But what do they do now? Yeah. Since the moment they knew AT was going to be on SGA, they went and watched all episodes of SGA to fill in the plots and such.

I guess tptb got what they wanted in some extent. They brought over SG-1's fans but how many people will it drive from watching SGA? I'm afraid not many. People mainly watch for CGI and shooting and villains and stuff. There are only a few people that really do care about characterization and their interaction and relationships.

I'm sad that it came down to this, but it's been fun while it lasted.

PS: Sorry I got a bit carried out.

Comment

Well, there was a CGI scene in one of the first eps of this season's BSG which I thought was one of the most ass kickingest moments of the series. Sure, the story was great- very tight and tensiony- and the character stuff was good, too, but if I had to pick one of the coolest moments, it'd be that CGI bit. Partly because, yes, it just looked awesome, but also because I felt it was a great illustration of the storyline as a whole: that moment summed up what it was all about in a way that words couldn't have.

I do, however, think there's a difference between the clever use of CGI to add to a story and the desperate use of CGI to fill in the lack of story and that is the field in which Atlantis is currently mired. Sure, the FX can look really cool (because Rainmaker rocks the casbah), but if the quality of the writing doesn't support the quality of the CGI... *shrug* If folks are consistently raving more about the FX than about the story then it's probably because that's the only thing they CAN rave about.

Comment

i like vala i don't know who the other person is... i don't really like sg1 that much.

but atlantis has become a joke i don't see how it could possibly be saved at this point no matter what they did. I mean even bringing carson back for two episodes is not going to save it.

to me its all about characters, i do appreciate hotness, but i need character development to keep me and really i didn't find the CGI all that special i actually expect more

the sinking was okay, but the flight was just m'eh.

What would it take to save it?

I don't know that it could... i mean sure at one time but now?
                    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                    ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                    Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                      Fire Mallozzi & Mullie. Fire Coop. Fire pretty much every writer that isn't Martin Gero or Carl Binder. In fact, get restraining orders against M&M and Coop so that they can't come near the set or in any way interfere with production. Then go out and find a new batch of writers with fresh ideas and fresh perspectives (and at least a few with solid experience under their belts) to salvage what they can from the mess.

It might not be enough, but frankly it'd be hard for them to do worse (although I have no doubt that our glorious new exec producers will find all kinds of ways to sink the show to new lows).

Comment

hire rick bermen he did wonders for star trek.

honeslty being in ron moore
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          Fire Mallozzi & Mullie. Fire Coop. Fire pretty much every writer that isn't Martin Gero or Carl Binder.
                          I would fire Carl as well, he really is so old school and by that I mean he wallows in boring standard TV fair when it comes to his stories.

I know I am just about the only one who seemed to have thought "Critical Mass" was rubbish but I stand by it, and nothing from him since has set my world on fire.

I agree, get rid of M&M. God please! I would say make Martin Gero the show runner but then he has a habit of annoying me *being very polite in saying that* where McKay is concerned so I think I would end up hating his "direction for the show" in the long run. Also he lacks a certain amount of maturity in his writing much in the same way I see from Joe M and Paul M. In fact for me that is probably one of the main reasons for hating the bulk of their stories, this isn't meant to be "Animal House" but sometimes I do wonder if they even think females are worth more then their looks. *stopping there, treading on dangerous ground*

I don't know, I am just waiting for SciFi to say they want Ben added to the cast. I would not put it past them, heck wouldn't put it past M&M and definitely not past Brad or Rob.

I pity the poor suckers who want a third series. That is a train wreak waiting to happen.

Is Joss Whedon doing anything now Wonder Women is a no go for him???

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                            I would say make Martin Gero the show runner but then he has a habit of annoying me *being very polite in saying that* where McKay is concerned so I think I would end up hating his "direction for the show" in the long run. Also he lacks a certain amount of maturity in his writing
                            I have to agree. I've had to bite my tongue any number of times on the Carson threads when people gush about Martin Gero and his "avid" support of Mr. McGillion. As far as I'm concerned, he's the major contributor to the one-particular-character-centric Season 2; he never seemed to be able to write Carson as anything but a cranky buffoon, and I really don't like his scripts. I like Binder's better because they seem to incorporate the entire cast in true ensemble style. But with all the fingers in the pie it wouldn't matter if they did add a stellar writer or three to the staff; their contributions would get twisted and watered down by the rest of the Old Boys.
                            sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
                            ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I don't know that it could... i mean sure at one time but now?

I think a new group of writers with some fresh ideas is a must . . . to state the obvious. LOL. But actually, I think they need to get some writers who want to write a show called Stargate Atlantis. Not SG1: Atlantis or SG1 Redux or Carter Explains It All . . .just simply, Stargate Atlantis.

IMHO, the biggest problem seems to be the inability of the current "brain trust" to let go of SG1. Although they apparently set out to make SGA different, it just appears to have been an impossible task. I can only guess that it proved too hard to sustain a different show and so they chucked the idea as soon as it was practical to do so. They have no respect for the premise they created with Atlantis, nor the characters they created to inhabit that world. The brain trust treats SGA as a poor relation to its older cousin, SG1. Is it any wonder then, that some fans obviously feel the same way.

Why else would they chuck Weir for Carter. And yes I know, the decision to off Weir was made before the decision to bring Carter over. Sorry, but it is just way too convenient. Or maybe, I've just watched too many episodes of the X-Files to take anything at face value. But according to rumor, Carter has moved into Weir's office in season 4, family photos and all. They didn't even wait for the body to get cold. That's just treacherous, not to mention cold. Did I mention a lack of respect?

So, that's my fix: find writers who actually like the idea that was originally pitched for SGA and let them run with it. And forget about the older cousin. Its been retired; time for some new blood.
                              sigpic

Comment

OK, so fire everyone and start fresh.

I think Martin started off as a good writer; Storm/Eye will always be a favorite, and I think some of his recent stuff has been good, too, but I think he's been hanging around M&M too long and some of their immaturity has rubbed off on him. And yes, he DOES go way overboard with all the McKay stuff. He's probably a big part of the reason I can't stand my formerly favorite character. And I hated the way he wrote Ford, too. Of all of the writers, though, I think he's the most salvageable... provided he's forbidden to write any more McKay-centric stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X