Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Okay, so the news has broken that Weir will be reduced to recurring next season http://stargatesg1.com/MediaPlayer.a...tItemId=213322

Before I go any further, I would like the mods to note that opinions against the norm are clearly unwelcome and are labelled as "trolling" in the Save Weir thread, so I think I have every right to start a thread where people won't get complained at and flamed for having the shear audacity to have an opinion.

Right, my thoughts. Face it, Weir hasn't exactly played a huge role in Atlantis recently, she is mostly there to send people off on missions, and discuss said missions when they are over. There is pretty much nothing going on with her at all. So to me, I really don't care if she's not around, no offence to Torri, but I just think that TPTB have underused her so much that its really not going to have a huge impact on the show IMO.

As for blaming TPTB, well, until you know the reasoning behind the change, any speculation is entirely baseless, this cannot be blamed on Jewel or on Amanda.

I for one will still be watching S4 as long as the quality remains consistant.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Thank God someone has some common sense, green for you The Signal!

Personally I'm in favour of Weir leaving. I don't think she contributes anything positive to the show really apart from making mad decisions. Usually I'd blame it on the writing, but I really liked the character when she was played by the actress in Lost city so I'm not sure.

To me Weir was pretty tolerable in seasons 1 and 2 but this season she has really got under my skin, especially towards the begining of season 3. Some of her interactions with the IOA, Landry and especially Caldwell frankly, make her come across as a bit of a *****.

I wouldn't mind if she was kept on as recurring, but only if she was replaced as commander. She could always be in charge of MW/PG relations of something, I'm sure there is still a place for a diplomat, even in a place like Atlantis. I think she would be better off taking a Daniel sort of role in Atlantis rather than being the leader.

Another thing, am I the only one who finds the Campaign/Pro/Anti threads a little strange? They basically seem to be threads where freedom of speech has been discarded in favour of a place where only certain opinions are tolerated. Might just be me but it seems to really defeat the purpose of a forum.

Comment

She does seem to have gotten a little cocky recently, and she's certainly not the Weir we first saw in Lost City, she used to be a likable character, similar to pre-ascension Daniel, but that went out of the window quite fast.

As for the pro/anti etc threads, I stick to what I have always believed, its the Pro's that generally can't accept other people's opinions, the "Save [insert name]" are the same. It's just unfortunate, and like you say, it eliminates the purpose of a discussion forum.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Ok guys, little ground rules.

Don't bash the actors.
        Don't bash the other fans.

If this is to be a real discussion about whether or not it's 'good' to lose Weir, that's fine. but let's keep cracks about other fans out of it and keep the topic to whether or not Weir as recurring is good or bad.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'd be happy if she was reduced to just a recurring role, I've never liked the character since Atlantis began, I did however like her in 'Lost City'. Nowadays whenever she comes on screen it just makes me cringe, the character is just plain annoying and her arrogance rivals and surpasses that of the ancients. Also everytime she doesn't get her own way she stamps her foot like a spoilt brat and tbh it's just hard to watch. I personally think less screen time might do the character some good, General Hammond never had as much screentime as her and we grew to love him as a leader, perhaps the less we see of her the better.

Comment

I just want everyone to realize that Carson Beckett was "recurring" in Season 1, and he had more development then than he got in Season 2, when he was a regular!

So I don't think anything's really changed.

Comment

I'd love to have a military commander on atlantis. But we don't know what will happen to her, maybe she'll get back to earth, or kidnapped or something, boohoo, cry cry cry.

I have complete trust in the writers' decisions. (except for one thing, Ford must get back, he was more fun with Mckay and Sheppard than Weir with those 2 ).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Don't bash the actors.
                How do you define 'bash' though? What if someone doesn't like a cast members acting, are they allowed to say that they are a bad actor or is this not allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                  Okay, so the news has broken that Weir will be reduced to recurring next season http://stargatesg1.com/MediaPlayer.a...tItemId=213322

Before I go any further, I would like the mods to note that opinions against the norm are clearly unwelcome and are labelled as "trolling" in the Save Weir thread, so I think I have every right to start a thread where people won't get complained at and flamed for having the shear audacity to have an opinion.

Right, my thoughts. Face it, Weir hasn't exactly played a huge role in Atlantis recently, she is mostly there to send people off on missions, and discuss said missions when they are over. There is pretty much nothing going on with her at all. So to me, I really don't care if she's not around, no offence to Torri, but I just think that TPTB have underused her so much that its really not going to have a huge impact on the show IMO.

As for blaming TPTB, well, until you know the reasoning behind the change, any speculation is entirely baseless, this cannot be blamed on Jewel or on Amanda.

I for one will still be watching S4 as long as the quality remains consistant.
                  I agree with the take on Weir, she has always been *General Hammond* to me and this makes sense IMHO. I said it only a few days ago that it was odd to have Weir as the second lead when she isn't used and really there is NO use for her other then to wave them goodbye... I feel sad for Torri, but she is an actress and like all actors/actresses she knows that roles are never 100% guaranteed not to change.

I also agree blaming Jewel or even Amanda is just wrong, I may not like Carter crossing over, but I don't blame AT for it, I do however think TPTB are fair game.... On this I will be thanking them for seeing the light IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                    I also agree blaming Jewel or even Amanda is just wrong, I may not like Carter crossing over, but I don't blame AT for it, I do however think TPTB are fair game.... On this I will be thanking them for seeing the light IMHO.
                    I don't think anybody blames the actors. I sure don't. They're taking jobs. Or being forced out of jobs. It's the producers who make the decision that are at fault. They're the ones who go "let's get rid of this character." It's that simple. Of course, if they're not, they're free to come here and explain.

Comment

While I am extremely upset we seem to be losing Beckett and do think there are waaaayyyyy too many cast changes all a once, I agree. Weir is my least favorite on the show and I've never been a big fan. She always seemed kind of monotone to me. I'll blame the writers though, as I have never seen her in anything else. It infuriates me when they make a female a leader and then make her ineffective. I would rather have an effective male leader than a female on who is ineffective just to be PC (this goes for Teyla too). While I do not think bringing AT on is the answer (and I do like her) I think this will create more problems. But Sam is a much stronger female role (even if she does need some work) and SGA needs it. But if AT is brought on to replace Weir it brings on more problems. Sam is not at all the right character to head a mission such as Atlantis. They would be better off bringing on a new character with a suitable background.

While I'm not happy with most of the changes, I'm ok with this one (re: Weir) for the most part.

sigpic
                      www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                      Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
                        I would rather have an effective male leader than a female on who is ineffective just to be PC (this goes for Teyla too).
                        Well I would prefer none of them be ineffective, but I understand what you are saying it just makes females look bad, like they can't lead or whatever.
                        While I'm not happy with most of the changes, I'm ok with this one (re: Weir) for the most part.
                        I actually couldn't be happier about this, I do think all round this move is one of the smartest TPTB have come up with. I just hope they don't ruin it by messing everything else up. I would like a season 5 (well I think, wait and see hey?)

Comment

Truthfully, although I do not actually want Weir gone I can understand scaling back her role a bit. If you compare SG-1 with Atlantis, SG-1 has a fewer really significant characters (Those that are in every episode) mainly only the "Team" are always there. The leaders like Hammond and Landrey are only there in a good number of the episodes.

Atlantis on the other hand has really always had Weir in the episodes. Maybe there is one without her. I think that I am fine with a decision to scale back her role, it would make it fit the SG-1 pattern a bit more. And as long as she is there at time, when needed, I will be happy.
                          Weir: He's just a boy!
                          Jinto: I am Jinto.
                          Sheppard: She's pleased to meet you.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

Originally posted by theonebluegecko View Post
                            Truthfully, although I do not actually want Weir gone I can understand scaling back her role a bit. If you compare SG-1 with Atlantis, SG-1 has a fewer really significant characters (Those that are in every episode) mainly only the "Team" are always there. The leaders like Hammond and Landrey are only there in a good number of the episodes.

Atlantis on the other hand has really always had Weir in the episodes. Maybe there is one without her. I think that I am fine with a decision to scale back her role, it would make it fit the SG-1 pattern a bit more. And as long as she is there at time, when needed, I will be happy.
                            Oddly, I actually like the SGA pattern better than the SG1 one. It made SGA work to create eps that weren't just the formulaic 'we went through the gate, we got into trouble, we came home' plot. I admit that that formula is probably easier to write. That doesn't make me like it more.

What I will miss most is probably Elizabeth's role as sanity-check, but at least now they have an opportunity to use that time to develop Teyla. *pause* Okay, pretend I said that with a straight face.

Comment

I'm sorry but this beyond awful, I feel so awful for Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X