This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Gordon!!

This Gateworld article http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/0...sedi_tv_.shtml regarding David Hewlett's new series also mentions other Sci-Fi network projects, like FLASH GORDON!

Flash Gordon, a new 22-episode series produced in Canada and based on the classic comic strip. The new series is produced by Robert Halmi, Sr. and Robert Halmi, Jr., and will premiere in July.
    WTF!
    This sounds a bit bonkers, especially considering that there is already a Remake in the pipeline! http://imdb.com/title/tt0421201/

The only SCI-FI network shows are SG-1, SGA and BSG. Is it even remotely possible that they could do a good job with this??
    I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

i doubt it.flash gordon is terrible in the first place.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

haha, that film with the Queen song was cheesy as hell, but it was fun in a "its so bad its entertaining" way. If the new one is like that, it might be at least comedic entertainment.
      Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
      Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Originally posted by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab View Post
        haha, that film with the Queen song was cheesy as hell, but it was fun in a "its so bad its entertaining" way. If the new one is like that, it might be at least comedic entertainment.
        I think Campy is the word, like the Batman TV show or many parts of Stargate in season 9......

Comment

Flash, ah-aaah... they must use that song!!!

Should be entertaining in a perversely cheesy kind of way.

Edit: Haha, just listened to it. Now I have the biggest cheesy grin across my face ever.
          What's happening Flash?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
            Flash, ah-aaah... they must use that song!!!

Should be entertaining in a perversely cheesy kind of way.

Edit: Haha, just listened to it. Now I have the biggest cheesy grin across my face ever.
            What's happening Flash?
            dispatch war rocket ajax!
            Thanks!
            Jordan

my page
            My LJ
            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I will give it a chance but will get my hopes up. This is the Sci Fi channel we are talking about here. The last thing they want is something that could be considered science fiction on there.
              Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

This cant be true I hate flash gorden but here is a funny factin the constiteuncy were i live in Ireland there is an independent counseller running for election and he is known as ming the mercilous it is even on his posters
                sigpic

Comment

'Flash Gordon' in the UK
                  Link: http://www.comics2film.com/index.php...=27490#ad_jump

First Look: 'Flash Gordon'
                  http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2003...039742,00.html
                  Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

The guy who played Aris Boch was Flash Gordon in the 1980 movie.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Oh, it's very much real: http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.ph...ies%2C_2007%29

I was surprised by it too. I just thought of all the comics to bring to life, this was an odd choice. I keep wondering how they can present this in any way that's not completely ridiculous and I can't see it. My concept of Flash Gordon automatically brings to mind Power Rangers and that god awful 80s movie.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Here was me about to admit that I liked the 80s film version of Flash Gordon. Sure it was cheesy, but I think the campiness was intentional. The film reminded me more of the over the top Batman series from the 1960s.

It had a rocking score composed by the rock band Queen and a great cast including: Max Von Sydow, Topol, Brian Blessed, Timothy Dalton, MELODY ANDERSON and the awesome Sam Jones! Well maybe not quite Sam Jones heh. The film actually did better over here in the UK and I think that might have been down to Queen providing the soundtrack and the two British Shakespearean actors portraying Prince Barin (Tim Dalton) and Prince Vultan (Brian Blessed). Basically, the film is just a total hoot! IMO, of course.
                        Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 14 June 2007, 05:18 PM. Reason: wrong hear. ;D
                        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

The thing about the movie is that it really appealed to me when I was young. I barely remembered it until I saw it again when I was all grown up and I can remember thinking it was cool when I was a kid, but seeing it again I couldn't help but think this is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen. There are a couple of films like that, The Neverending Story for one... though to be honest, that one creeped me out a lot both times.

I'll never argue about Queen though. They are unquestionably great.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

What the Neverending Story was and still is great!
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel View Post
                              The thing about the movie is that it really appealed to me when I was young. I barely remembered it until I saw it again when I was all grown up and I can remember thinking it was cool when I was a kid, but seeing it again I couldn't help but think this is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen. There are a couple of films like that, The Neverending Story for one... though to be honest, that one creeped me out a lot both times.

I'll never argue about Queen though. They are unquestionably great.
                              Yeah, definitely Queen were amazing and they also provided the soundtrack for Highlander.

There's been a few films and TV shows I've watched through rose-tinted glasses and after rewatching them, I always wonder what attracted me in the first place. Saying that, some are just timeless, like Star Wars and Star Trek: TOS, for me anyway.
                              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Working...
                              X