PDA

View Full Version : If Ori Crusaders have encased power cores, what is that big white ball?

Mister Oragahn
January 13th, 2007, 03:50 AM
We've all seen what Ori's warships power reactors look like.
Quite very Arcturus-like in shape, they're standing in the middle of a big and empty spherical room.

So we're left wondering what's the purpose of that big white ball that floats in the large gap of a Crusader's superstructure.

That thing leaves nebulous trails of white gaseous matter.
Is it waste? Exotic particles?
Do the Ori actually use a kind of a Miller bridge to dump dangerous particles in a random alternate universe? If so, what's up with those trails of white smoke?

Buba uognarf
January 13th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Quite very Arcturus-like in shape, they're standing in the middle of a big and empty spherical room.

So we're left wondering what's the purpose of that big white ball that floats in the large gap of a Crusader's superstructure.

Do the Ori actually use a kind of a Miller bridge to dump dangerous particles in a random alternate universe? If so, what's up with those trails of white smoke?

maybe that's where the energy is channeled to, seeing as when the ori ships powered up in crusade the energy balls started glowing

CouchPotator
January 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM
If Ori Crusaders have encased power cores, what is that big white ball?

Decoration. The white trails of smoke might be engine exhaust.

zpm!!
January 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM
who the hell knows, it could many things!

Ori = Crazy SOB's!

sueKay
January 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM
the big white ball is the rinse cycle of the ship, where they like to flush their enemies :P :D

(don't take me seriously!)

zpm!!
January 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM
the big white ball is the rinse cycle of the ship, where they like to flush their enemies :P :D

(don't take me seriously!)

Adria Says "Lets Just Flush Earth of All LIFE!"

The New ORI SUPER WEAPON!

The Last Ancient
January 13th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Prior farts. The waste product of powering the ship.

Prior_of_the_Ori
January 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Before the episode aired I had the belief that the ships may have been a singularity type power source considering what powered the supergate but now, it doesnt look like it. Can't really surmise what it might be but the giant ring in the center is perhaps vital in that regard... either that or the ring is related to the shields somehow.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
maybe the bridge to the powercore is retractable and when the ship is activated its retracts. because i think its the project arcturus, and the powersource was in a large room that could have been the big circle.

kirmit
January 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I don't know what it is, I would've said the energy output from the powersource but as when they activated the glow started from the center of the ring which is completely empty I really don't know.

blueWaffles
January 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I have a few ideas. Some better than others.

-Maybe that is where energy is stored and the large ring around it contains the energy in a spherelike shape. The exhaust might just be from the propulsion.

-Another idea I had initially was that it was like a pivot point to help the ship maneuver more easily. Turning upon a central point would make the turns sharper. The only thing is that they haven't shown a great deal of maneuvering... mostly slow and clunky. But I guess if you have really strong shields and a weapon that can go through almost anything, such things don't matter.

-Or it can be for balance. The front of ship is where most of the mass of the ship is while the back part which has less mass tilts upwards a bit. Perhaps that ball is necessary to maintain the proper axes?

That's all I got.
Hopefully in one of the episodes they will be talking about the Ori ships and then Carter can surmise what the big white light ball is.

charlie shakey
January 14th, 2007, 05:19 AM

I believe dat da Ori ships are built to a similiar design to a stargate cause if u look at da centre of dere ships dey look similiar to a stargate. I wuld say dat da energy orb is da power source for da ring like our stargate is powered by clamps of electricity except the Ori ships are being pushed by the energy force or waves for propulsion from the energy Orb. i wuld say dat dey are energy particles emmitting waves of force for propulsion to move the ship

the_dark_light
January 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
It could be part of the propulsion system, or as previously stated, for decoration. Of course it could be part of the "original" power generation, the power generation could've been changed later so that it could feature in the plot (hard to disable something like that outside the ship) so a possible oversight on the part of the designers/writers

Oh and "charlie shakey", you don't so much speak the language as much as you chew on it and spit it out!

Ancient_Chair_Operator
January 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM
as i was thinking why would the ancients never expieriment with singularity
energy it is limetless power like showed with the supergates

so why would the ori never tried it i think its a singularity with the rings
containing the field withouth it expanding and it turns white when it draws
massive energie so its the energie thats being drawed that you can see

that kind of powersource would be limitless and would hold no negative effect
like the vacuum ones (zpm is limited) other ones like project acturas creats
particels

but aswel it can be like project acturas and because they have nowledge of how the universe is they might know how to not creat the particels

gavo2o
January 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM
My personal opinion is that the VFX guys put them there to look and are hopeing for the writers to make use of it

Toaster Roaster
January 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Perhaps the ships run on "the power of prayer" and that giant white energy ball is where it iscollected. Think spirt bomb.....

cowpants
January 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM
THE HOLY HAND GRENADE!!!

Only it doesn't really fit in the hand. Nor is it a bomb. But it could be similar in principle. Designed to take out Ancient Killer Rabbits.

Andy1
January 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I've got an idea! When Teal'c and Mitchell found the power core on the Ori Ship in Counterstrike I thought that it looked a little small, you might think that it doesn't matter how big it is because the Ori are so technologically advanced anyway. But they seem to like doing things on a grand scale (judging by the epic scale of their ships), so I thought maybe this power-core could simply serve as an activator for the glowing white sphere thing. You turn on the small power core, and that in turn activates the singularity like pale sphere which serves as the main power for the ship!

SoulReaver
January 18th, 2007, 11:57 AM

So we're left wondering what's the purpose of that big white ball that floats in the large gap of a Crusader's superstructure.several possibilities

1 - it's a power source (in which case the arcturus-thingie we saw was probably something else, like a warp core or something)

2 - it's for esthetics - I mean, if you're gonna conquer the unvierse then might as well do it with style

3 - neither 1 nor 2 -)

SoulReaver
January 18th, 2007, 12:01 PM
that kind of powersource would be limitless and would hold no negative effect somehow I doubt the source is "limitless" - not only does it make no sense (unless the ori are true gods and their priors' ships are somehow imbued with their mystical power -) but it would also make the ships practically invincible in that nothing in the universe would be able to deplete ther shields (in other words the only way to defeat the ships would be to find a way to bypass the shields - which IMO is unlikely)

l33telboi
January 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hmm, what about a visible side-effect of some form of reactionless drive? If i remember correctly (and i might not) then the light was not visible when the ship had touched down on a planet.

The ship still has normal engines of course, but this could be something boosting the efficency or something? The engines at the back were pretty small after all.

Xeon_1
January 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
i also could be somekind of buffer to store engery
like with the power spikes in project acturus they are stored in the buffer and the white smoke is excess energy that is vented of

z5strikers
January 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
An idea I had concerning this was that maybe the power core we saw was simplely a 'spark plug' for the rest of the engine/ system, being the large glowing orb.

helio9
January 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Keep in mind that these guys enslave through religion. The glowing white thing in their ships might serve no other function than to inspire awe.

Kind of like Goa'uld staff weapons. Horrible, unwieldy design, but liks Jack said "This [points to staff] is a weapon of terror, meant to scare your enemy".

Merlin's_Legacy
January 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
My opinion was that the light in the ring was a side effect of the Ori StarDrive (hyperdrive whatever) and also possibly the shields. I'm thinking something along the lines of Wesley Crusher's "Warp Bubble".

Andy1
January 22nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
An idea I had concerning this was that maybe the power core we saw was simplely a 'spark plug' for the rest of the engine/ system, being the large glowing orb.

That's exactly the idea I outlined, although the orb wouldn't be just the engine core. It would be the power core for the whole ship (weapons, shields, dampeners, internal heating/lighting, computer systems, engines...etc.) The thing is, the ships' technology is so advanced that it seems almost magical. So it is hard to speculate on the ship's tech.

.jolinar.
January 31st, 2007, 05:50 AM
I have a few ideas. Some better than others.

-Maybe that is where energy is stored and the large ring around it contains the energy in a spherelike shape. The exhaust might just be from the propulsion.

-Another idea I had initially was that it was like a pivot point to help the ship maneuver more easily. Turning upon a central point would make the turns sharper. The only thing is that they haven't shown a great deal of maneuvering... mostly slow and clunky. But I guess if you have really strong shields and a weapon that can go through almost anything, such things don't matter.

-Or it can be for balance. The front of ship is where most of the mass of the ship is while the back part which has less mass tilts upwards a bit. Perhaps that ball is necessary to maintain the proper axes?

That's all I got.
Hopefully in one of the episodes they will be talking about the Ori ships and then Carter can surmise what the big white light ball is.

From what I've heard these two sound like the most likely explinations.