This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible reason for lower ratings for AVATAR

Howdy kids! I was reading a report that the ratings for the episode AVATAR were the lowest of the season. Well there could be a good reason for that. Its a little thing called Hurricane Charley. Hurricane Charley hit the state of Florida on the Friday that episode was on. I should know I was here in Florida. I was really ticked off too. The one Friday night I could watch an episode, instead of a tape, the hurricane hit. D'OH!!!! So I believe that could be a reason for the dip.

Glad you're OK, but I hardly think that there are enough Stargate fans in Florida (or the affected area) to have made a significant impact on the ratings. More likely, it's because SCIFI chose to advertise it in an incredibly stupid way ("Teal'c is trapped inside a video game..." *rolls eyes*) and because the story itself was, IMO, a little iffy.

Comment

Avatar also had pretty tough competition going up against the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I expected the ratings to take a hit and they did. I won't be surprised to see lower ratings numbers for all the episodes that aired opposite the Olympics. They're a big draw.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Ah yes. I wondered about that. Couldn't recall when the Olympics started, but that's certainly the main reason for the lack of numbers.

Comment

yeah, i think it was a combo of the two reasons, the Olympics and Charley
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

How about college starting for a bunch of us as a reason? We all sit around and watch on one big-screen TV in the dorm instead of all our individual TV sets back at home. Same number of viewers, fewer TV's. I wonder if they take that into account, because college students are quite a significant portion of the Stargate fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
              How about college starting for a bunch of us as a reason? We all sit around and watch on one big-screen TV in the dorm instead of all our individual TV sets back at home. Same number of viewers, fewer TV's. I wonder if they take that into account, because college students are quite a significant portion of the Stargate fandom.
              true. however, with the exception of a few metered cities, most ratings come from 5,000 families that are neilson families who have boxes attached to thier tv's

yep, 5,000 people are the life and death of a tv show. that in itself is pretty scary
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have to agree, the advertising for the episode wasn't great. But I like episodes like that though. I just said this in another thread, I like episodes where they get stuck at something or they have to find a solution to a problem real fast. This is what shines about watching Stargate. And I thought it was homage to the earlier seasons.

But my friends were all like UHHH and then we all watched it and thought and they thought it was better than it looked.

Comment

I think the real obvious answer is that the ratings for both Avatar and Childhood's End were adversely effected by the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympic games (which aired from 8PM eastern through 12AM eastern during both runs of the two shows). I wouldn't be surprised if the Olympic effect is felt for Affinity and Poisoning the Well as well.

I'm not going to stress unless the Covanant and Underground ratings are still lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                    I'm not going to stress unless the Covanant and Underground ratings are still lower.
                    Why not? They too would be up against the Olympics.

Fri 13 - Opening Ceremonies (Avatar/Childhood's End)
                    Fri 20 - Swimming Finals/Diving (Affinity/Poisining The Well)
                    Fri 27 - Athletics (Covenant/Underground)

Comment

Working...
                    X