PDA

View Full Version : Imagine

True!Ancient
January 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Imagine if the daedalus and the rest of the earth ships had BIGGER rail guns.....they would decimate all no questions asked

Eye Of Ra
January 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
how big we talking.

jenks
January 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Imagine if the daedalus and the rest of the earth ships had BIGGER rail guns.....they would decimate all no questions asked

They wouldn't decimate anyone with a sheild...

Ehecatl
January 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Maybe if Earth could finally come up with a working version of the Tollan Ion Cannon (from the schematics they received), then they could begin their decimation. The rail guns in general do much less damage than the weapons of a Hat'ak. Or if they could just find or make some good plasma weaponry.

kirmit
January 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM

agreed, the only race they'd be more effective on would be the wraith.

SoulReaver
January 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Maybe if Earth could finally come up with a working version of the Tollan Ion Cannonthese can be blocked even by goauld shields (the upgraded ones anyway)
IMO they can't be that powerful either (in terms of raw firepower)

deadman
January 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
If they came up with a rail gun that hits an area the size of a football with 9x10^3000psi would destroy most shields in a few hits.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 9th, 2007, 12:42 AM
if its bigger and fires at the same velocity it would pack more of a punch, but seeing that it doesnt do much now i dont see it making as much of a difference. If they can accellerate the speed it may do more (if the speed is close to that of meteors in a meteor shower), actually that would be interesting firing many high velocity rounds at once, we hear of big problems ships face with meteor showers.

wise one
January 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM
well if they get the tollan plans and make one and use a zpm to power it or test than it it would be worth biulding

Buba uognarf
January 9th, 2007, 07:11 AM
well if they get the tollan plans and make one and use a zpm to power it or test than it it would be worth biulding

why does everyone think that if you strap a Z.P.M in whatever it is will becmome 100x more power...there's a limit to how much power a weapon can discharge and adding a Z.P.M would be nothing but a waste...

(i hope thats what you were saying about increasing the io canons yield with a Z.P.M, if it's not then i'm sorry:S)

Mirel
January 9th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Yeah, if you strap a zpm onto it, it may just overload and fry the circuits and probably a whole lot more.

True!Ancient
January 9th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Shields dont work forever and with how fast they fire they would take out the shields pretty quickly

True!Ancient
January 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM
how big we talking.

Hmmmmm about the size as a wraith hive ship weapon

ACharmedAsgard
January 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, but if we had a Ion Canon (A tollon one) and we fought against the Wraith, it should be effective seen as though the Hive's don't have shields

Buba uognarf
January 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry, but if we had a Ion Canon (A tollon one) and we fought against the Wraith, it should be effective seen as though the Hive's don't have shields

depends if it's got the raw firepower to pierce their armor, Wraith armor in itself can withstand several hits from Wraith weapons which are probably significantly more powerful than tollan ion canons..imo anyway

ACharmedAsgard
January 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
depends if it's got the raw firepower to pierce their armor, Wraith armor in itself can withstand several hits from Wraith weapons which are probably significantly more powerful than tollan ion canons..imo anyway
I disagree, one shot could destroy a ha'tak vessel with shields so I think they may have some damaging effect on the hive ships....more then rail guns at least

2ndgenerationalteran
January 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
i keep forgetting if anubis made his shields to make him impervious to ion cannon fire or just improve his shield strength over all. I thought the ion cannon blast bypassed the shields some how and hit the hatak, either way that is a hell of a shot to take out the hatak in one blow.

gatelover12
January 10th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Good lord people. Railguns work off of speed. Relativistic speed. As in high fractions of C (the speed of light in a vacuum) If we make these cannons to big they will push our ships backwards in space. On top of this, at least in real life, railguns require ALOT of maintenance, if you have to take 20 out of seventy off line well that's no big deal, but if you have to take ten out of 20, or 3 out of 5, you're screwed. We need to be looking into either energy weapons or relativistic kill vehicles. The second would be better IMHO, if we can render a planet unlivable, we're sure to make allies with ships that can actually make a dent.

ACharmedAsgard
January 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Good lord people. Railguns work off of speed. Relativistic speed. As in high fractions of C (the speed of light in a vacuum) If we make these cannons to big they will push our ships backwards in space. On top of this, at least in real life, railguns require ALOT of maintenance, if you have to take 20 out of seventy off line well that's no big deal, but if you have to take ten out of 20, or 3 out of 5, you're screwed. We need to be looking into either energy weapons or relativistic kill vehicles. The second would be better IMHO, if we can render a planet unlivable, we're sure to make allies with ships that can actually make a dent.

Then you kind of agree that the Tollan weapons would be effective

gatelover12
January 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Then you kind of agree that the Tollan weapons would be effective

Anything short of a pointy stick is preferable to what we have.

Jimbo-DR
January 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM
The Tollan Ion Cannons are probably some of the strongest weapons we've seen in the show yet, underneath only the most advanced Races, such as the Asgard and the Ancient level races.

The Tollan Ion Cannon went straight through the Goa'uld shielding on the original motherships and tore a Ha'tak up in 1 hit.

Granted it was blocked by more advanced shielding but those were much more advanced shields than the Average Goa'uld has access to, and obviously the Wraith have no defense against something like that.

Good thing they got rid of that story arc in season 5 never to visit it again.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 12th, 2007, 01:08 AM
if mcay didnt blow up that planet in trinity it would have been awesome if they could get that gun mounted on the deadalus's back. it tore up the wraith fleet but probably required alot of energy.

ACharmedAsgard
January 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Anything short of a pointy stick is preferable to what we have.

lol