PDA

View Full Version : Family Ties (1018)

Pages : 1 [2]

Dusk
March 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM
What are you all complaining about? You expect million dollar vis effects and a script from the gates of God EVERY week? Let's focus on the purpose of the episode not how bad it is compared to X episode from season Y. True SG-1 fans will adore this chapter of character development. It makes me feel more at ease about the closure of the series knowing that the producers managed to squeeze a Vala-centric episode in. Her father was everything I would've imagined him to be, and her reaction in the beginning and at the end fits perfectly with who Vala has become.

The team's execution of the counter-deception in the forest towards the end reminds us just how good SG-1 is at their job. Another cheer for the revealing, but never in excess, Landry/Lam backstory. Such a small part of the story worked wonders for the character foundations. And last but not least, vaginas in SG-1... I thought I'd never see the day!

All in all, a warm and wholesome close to the non-major plot arc stories of the series. I'm so happy with what Vala, and indeed Claudia, has achieved for the show. 8/10

And for all those who think Jacek was worse than Lucius from Atlantis... what 'erbs are y'all smokin'?

panikin
April 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM
oh my goodness. The end of this episode made me laugh so hard!! Hahaha, Teal'c at a vagina conference, classic

dec55
May 13th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you there--this is exactly the same way she acted in Andromeda-stiff and monotone-no facial expressions at all. Didn't like her then, don't like her now IMHO. I like all the other characters though:)

I totally disagree...her character was given a wide range of emotions...in fact
she played three characters with different personalities....in which she got nothing put praise..... She's got talent...no doubt IMO... And again I look
forward to watching the gorgeous Lexa Doig on this show....:)

SeaBee
May 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
What are you all complaining about? You expect million dollar vis effects and a script from the gates of God EVERY week? Let's focus on the purpose of the episode not how bad it is compared to X episode from season Y. True SG-1 fans will adore this chapter of character development. It makes me feel more at ease about the closure of the series knowing that the producers managed to squeeze a Vala-centric episode in. Her father was everything I would've imagined him to be, and her reaction in the beginning and at the end fits perfectly with who Vala has become.

The team's execution of the counter-deception in the forest towards the end reminds us just how good SG-1 is at their job. Another cheer for the revealing, but never in excess, Landry/Lam backstory. Such a small part of the story worked wonders for the character foundations. And last but not least, vaginas in SG-1... I thought I'd never see the day!

All in all, a warm and wholesome close to the non-major plot arc stories of the series. I'm so happy with what Vala, and indeed Claudia, has achieved for the show. 8/10

OK, I agree that it was good to see a Valla based ep, and her reactions at the start and end were well written and performed, but the other 40 minutes in between were, frankly, rubbish. The father came across, to me, as badly written and poorly conceived.

As for "true fans" adoring this ep, I have yet to speak to any who liked it. I do not expect massive budget SFX every week, but I do expect entertainment, and for me this wasn't it. As for the Landry family arc, I couldn't see the point in that, either.

This ep was filler of the worst kind.

And for all those who think Jacek was worse than Lucius from Atlantis... what 'erbs are y'all smokin'?

I've got to give you this one, though it's a close run between the two!:o

Arga
May 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
General observations..

I just watched it today, and being so close to the end of the series, I really was expecting an important & dramatic show, but instead, they gave us an unecessary episode, with no real useful information, (and worse, confusing contradictory info - about Vala's life span - ). Except getting a good supply of Naquadah..

I admit there was some funny moments, but wasting an episode at this time of the series' History made me dislike this story. I had to wait 10 seasons to find one single episode that I could say is my least favorite!

This scenario just felt like the letter from Vala's father, that she threw in the trash, to read it later - maybe.
It looks the producers picked up an abandonned script, written by someone who knows nothing much about Stargate, and decided to film it, instead of inventing something interesting.

I liked however the allusions to the "Network" abandonning the show. Maybe the whole point of this episode was a metaphor to the cancellation of the series...

Some observation in detail...

I liked when Walter sees Landry look at his watch and says casually "Sir, do you have to be somewhere?" (I mean, this is something you usually avoid saying to a superior! that was funny when Walter realised that..)

When Teal'c goes to the theater at the end, he has a single seat, between 2 ladies... Didn't Jacek said he's got 2 tickets? there should be 2 seats.. Unless they were not next to each other, or that he sold one on eBay!

What is this comment at the begining about Vala & her father's accent?
We're talking about aliens here!! Not people from England, America or Ireland... The accent an alien would have doesn't mean anything to me, because, I believe they're not really talking in English anyway, and what we hear when they speak is a translation performed by an unknown cause. (this issue has never been cleared out.. and is forgotten by too many authors, who assume aliens speak real english, can read earth writing, ...)

buuzero
May 30th, 2007, 10:52 PM
The absolute worst episode of Stargate that I have ever watched. It boggles my mind that a few episodes ago we saw a bunch of Ori ships come through the supergate, and we have heard nothing of them since. There is a point in this episode where 3 weeks pass, and I'm thinking... where are the Ori? Why does no one seem to care about that?

AAgggh... this episode annoyed me on so many levels. I kept thinking "what's the point of this?" while I watched. There should be some sense of urgency as we approach the end of the season, not the biggest filler episode ever.

I also was annoyed by the fact that Vala's time as a Goa'uld wasn't even mentioned. What, was she only possessed for a couple of years or something? It would be nice if the writers could have thrown a bone in there somewhere about that.

So sad that this show seems to be ending with a whimper rather than a bang, when the writing is this bad I am not sad to see it go the way of the dinosaur. I hope the last two episodes are decent at least... but I'm not holding my breath.

Arga
May 31st, 2007, 12:34 AM
Maybe Vala's father has been captured (due to his "professional activities") and put in a sort of stasis prison for a while...

Then again, why do I bother trying to justify bad writing?

Another hypothesis:

This whole story was only a dream that Vala made. After all, she's famous for her dreams, isn't she?

JackBauer2007
June 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM
I dont know if i posted this but this episode was crap with a capital C.

Ozzy O'NeiLL
June 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I didn't really like Vala's father, though I thought it was another good Vala episode. A little more about her past, as we know very very little of her, what with all the lies and scams ;) So we got to see little girl Vala, craving some daddy love.

Yes, it was a bit of a sappy episode perhaps, but it's not like they do those very often so I was fine with it.

I did (also) like General Landry's attempt at communication with his wife after all these years. I really like Dr. Lam, too, who imo has WAY too little screentime in this season. I'd almost forgotten she was still there at the SGC. But regardless, it was a nice family ep.

And I LMAO at the very ending, with Teal'c sitting in the first row of 'The Vagina Monologue(s)'. That was plain hilarious.

Krisz
June 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM

Normally I would find something positive in any episode I have not liked that much. I read this and want to agree but it was, as some have said a total waste of an hour.

Another load of goodness knows what that once again detracts from the problem Earth is faced with, a little matter of an Ori invasion fleet coming. I wouldn't mind knowing what they are up to!!!

I really lost the will to care about the character development shown here, and that's a shame as that is one of Stargate's strengths. I was just thinking throughout this episode, why do this now?! It seemed that everything was hurriedly tacked on and put together in desperation to try and finish story arcs that never really started in the first place!

I don't think I've ever been this disappointed with an episode of Stargate in all the 9 years since I started watching it. The run up to the end of seasons were always better than this and this is the final run up to the end of the show! Really sad.

Even the Teal'c scene at the end couldn't save it and left me wondering, what's the point of that as well?!

-Major Woody
June 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM
This episode is very funny if you watch it whle drunk.
My personal recommendation.
Your mileage may vary.

Major(hic)Woody :S

Daniel has a Razr! He just gets cooler and cooler!

PhatChance
June 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Wow Sci fi totally hacked this episode. Did they cut the network bashing stint? I was kinda distracted to noticed.The voices were out of sync in the end, Vala voices when Carter was talking and vice versa. And LOL Vaginas teal'c part.

This was a bad episode overall.

prion
June 8th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Well, right at the end, the sound went wonky, carter's talkling but her mouth isn't moving, and I'm like, oh, well, that sucks. A year ago i would have been "damn!" but I don't even care to retape the episode at 11pm as I'll get the DVD set.

This episode was, well, it was the "Irresponsible" of SG1. Obnoxious character, etc. Only highlight was Sam was finally in a decent dress!

Otherwise, well, yes, best watched if you're drunk.

Alas, think I heard some sharks jumping...

napa244
June 8th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I agree with whoever said it was the worst episode ever. What a waste of talent. The addition of Vala has produced several boring episodes (the one where she announed she was pregnant being another one), and made the parts of the other actors more brief. I really miss the interaction of Teal'C with the others, especially Sam and Daniel.

ShardsofGlass
June 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I agree. This is an hour out of my life I can't get back. Sigh. And I normally like Fred Willard.

savagesteve13
I'm a big fan of Fred Willard's rather quirky comedy, so I really enjoyed the episode. I'm usually not a fan of non-arc episodes but sometimes you need a break from all the seriousness. I also loved WormHole X-Treme! and related.

I give it 4 stars.

prion
Wow Sci fi totally hacked this episode. Did they cut the network bashing stint? I was kinda distracted to noticed.The voices were out of sync in the end, Vala voices when Carter was talking and vice versa. And LOL Vaginas teal'c part.

This was a bad episode overall.

Then it wasn't cablevision! The voices were out of sync! Oh, i cringed on the Vaginas thing at the end only cuz I'm pretty sure that's going to get a lot of gripes from parents who have no idea Amanada did that play in Toronto....

Xicer
June 8th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I thought it was just me when the sound went outta sync, I guess not. Anyway, I didn't like this episode that much. Sure I liked some of the family stuff, but for the most part it was just a filler episode, which isn't a good thing when we're talking the last three episodes of the entire series. Also, the episode seemed to take place in at least a three week period. Where were the Ori this entire time?

PhatChance
June 8th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Then it wasn't cablevision! The voices were out of sync! Oh, i cringed on the Vaginas thing at the end only cuz I'm pretty sure that's going to get a lot of gripes from parents who have no idea Amanada did that play in Toronto....

Cablevision is still around? we got that here 15 years ago but they keep changing names and now Comcast has monopolized the cable charging $60 freaking bucks for 5 channels worth watching.

and yeah the vaginas part probably had some parents flipping their sofas. :S

Krisz
June 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I suppose next week we'll see what outfits Adria bought, or took! from the Colorado Springs Mall!!!:D

The scene with Vala and Sam catwalking down the corridor with all their purchases seemed so out of place in a military facility!!! This was another thing that annoyed me about this episode, especially when I think back to how well military protocul used to be depicted in past episodes.

the fifth man
June 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I actually thought this episode had some very redeeming aspects to it. I thought the personal stories going on with Landry and Vala dealing with her father were well done. Also, I actually liked most of the comedy in it.

Jackie
June 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Okay, I have mixed feeling about this episode. I liked seeing Vala's more serious side and dealing with her childhood issues.

I love Fred Ward to begin with and even though the part was--just obnoxious--I still love Fred. The bingo was the funniest thing. He was scamming little old ladies with walkers. I was expecting one of those ladies to hit him with her cane.

The over all story was predictable.

Daniel did have a few good lines. His expression on his face when Vala picked her father's door lock was just hilarious. Especially after his big, "You've changed" speech. LOL.

But the ep did drag out a bit and there was no real tension or believable danger to earth.

Would have rather have Vala trying to hide her father from a hired killer or such.

Felt like Sam was just kind of there for the ride. Cam, neither here nor there.

Teal'c in the end with the vagina thing was hilarious. But, Fred said he had 2 tickets and I think that scene would have been better if Teal'c had brought Daniel with him--better yet--RDA for a guest spot at the end of the ep.

FinalMacGyver
June 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I could not stop laughing after seeing that episode!

the fifth man
June 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I could not stop laughing after seeing that episode!

It did have a lot of great comedic moments. At least IMO.:) I thought Fred Willard was great in it.

Pharaoh Atem
June 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM
filler this epsiode sucked

prion
June 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Cablevision is still around? we got that here 15 years ago but they keep changing names and now Comcast has monopolized the cable charging $60 freaking bucks for 5 channels worth watching.

and yeah the vaginas part probably had some parents flipping their sofas. :S

yeah, Cablevision is still sucking us dry due to lack of competition. sigh.

I suspect that the vagina monologue thing will only make sense to fans who know AT did it. it would be interesting to see if the network got feedback on it (I can see the irate mother going "OHMYGOD, close your ears, Johnny, don't listen!!" to some ten year old who has probably seen and heard more on Myspace) ;)

Kliggins
June 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Your mileage may vary.

*sighs* I wish I had read your post before watching the episode.

majorsal
June 8th, 2007, 09:06 PM
argh... this episode...

the only good thing about it was claudia acted her heart out. but WHY was this made? there are so many nitpicks that are actually big that i don't know where to start... but forget it.

i think my expectations are just too high nowadays.

sally :mckay:

tsaxlady
June 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
The episode as a whole is not one of my favorites. However it did have a few moments that I did enjoy. I liked the girls night in and Teal'c at the end.

majorsal
June 8th, 2007, 09:31 PM
The episode as a whole is not one of my favorites. However it did have a few moments that I did enjoy. I liked the girls night in and Teal'c at the end.

okay, it had some redeaming moments (begin and end scenes with sam-vala). and a few chuckles here and there, but still, *why*?

i'm going to stop myself from nitpicking this ep.

sally :)

Krisz
June 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM
i'm going to stop myself from nitpicking this ep.
sally :)

Good idea, I'll do the same, otherwise I'll keep going and I'm not one to be totally negative about episodes that didn't entertain me as much. This one got to me for some reason..very strange! :S

MasySyma
June 8th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hmmm. The episode was rather odd.

I missed the first fifteen minutes, but the rest didn't make me want to catch it when Scifi reran the episode.

The Good:

Daniel/Vala and Sam/Vala interaction. I like when the team bonds outside of dangerous missions.

The Ending: Teal'c's face--enough said.

The Bad:

Vala's Father: Why do all the female characters have issues with their fathers? Sam, Dr. Lam, Vala. Could Vala's mother have been odd instead?

Vala's Father: The seventeen thousand deals got old fast.

Vala's Father: He's still alive, and if he is ever in a future SG-1 film, I won't buy it.

The Odd:

What purpose did this episode serve? It didn't do anything?

The Lam/Laudry scenes. Lam was extemely hostile, but her and the general were getting along better earlier. Did I miss something, or did her character backtrack?

Overall, meh. A 6/10. I've seen better.

I'm very disappointed with the stand-alone episodes this season. The Ori episodes have been great, but the other episodes feel like filler. I've enjoyed SG-1 for most of its ten year run, but if this is the best the writers can do, I'm starting to accept the cancellation as a good thing.

GateTrek2004
June 9th, 2007, 03:46 AM
THis eppy hands down was bad, but the good points to the Eppisode: Sam/Vala's Girls Day shopping and the beginning and End having Girls Night In. AND THE END...POOR TEAL'C...Going to the Vigana Monolugues!!! I cracked up laughing!!!:tealc:

madaboutdanny
June 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Your mileage may vary.

What is Razr.....?

jckfan55
June 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I suppose next week we'll see what outfits Adria bought, or took! from the Colorado Springs Mall!!!:D

The scene with Vala and Sam catwalking down the corridor with all their purchases seemed so out of place in a military facility!!! This was another thing that annoyed me about this episode, especially when I think back to how well military protocul used to be depicted in past episodes.

I like that they were showing Vala and Sam as friends, but I agree about them showing up in those outfits being a bit jarring. Now Sam etc probably come to work in civvies and change, but given that Cam said they were going offworld in an hour would they really have been shopping up to the last minute that way?

Vala's father was just plain annoying. They spent way to much time on him & not enough on the naquadah ship plotline. I like stand alone episodes, but this seemed like a waste.

ancientaction
June 9th, 2007, 10:45 AM
i rate this a 4/10

good points. we learn a bit more about vala's past, and how she actualy has changed for the good.
we also learn that SG-1 does trust her a lot more than they did at first.

bad points...

bad actor. too obvious. ...
um.... wtf did SGC agree to alow that moron to live as a citizen on the earth?

dec55
June 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'd have to say seeing Lam,Landry and Kim (the mom.) was my favorite scene
in the whole 10th season.... The whole side story was real, and natural with no
fantastic save the universe connection. A slice of life account of SGC characters
that makes Stargate special. Wish they expanded this part of Lam and Landry's
relationship more. Hopefully if they have a new series they will have Lam in it with Landry doing cameos..... I really like seeing Lexa and Beau interact..as daughter and Father.

I loved the little touches like Lam being suprised that her dad made the decision to make
a reunion with her mom. The back and forth little expressions when Landry would appear to
want to back out in a emergency....and Lam getting jumpy in subtle way.

Also love the part when Lam asked her dad not to wear the coat with the arm patches....:lol

This back story really made the show for me.....wish there was more of it.

nodrog
June 10th, 2007, 05:12 AM
lol okay I don't have time to read every post but did anyone else see the little pot shots they took at the scifi channel executives hahaha so funny!!!

Arga
June 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM
lol okay I don't have time to read every post but did anyone else see the little pot shots they took at the scifi channel executives hahaha so funny!!!

Yes, on a few posts before, we mentioned the parallel between their dialogue and what's happening with the television network in real life.
That was what I prefered in this episode.

nccjones
June 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Thank you! I cringed when I saw that part. I understand that Vala lives in the facility and probably needs to do some shopping, but that was just plain ridiculous. I hope that Sam was carrying Vala's purchases, because I wouldn't understand why she would take them out of her car only to take them back out....

I didn't care for the episode at all. And I like Vala. I also liked that their was an air of mystery about her, but by introducing her father, it was like they were hurrying up and telling her life story. I also found it odd, since they were telling her life story and her family issues, that they didn't mention she was a host. I guess I was kind of dissapointed overall.

I also found it odd that they moved her father, who is less trustworthy than Vala out into the community, but they still have Vala living at the facility. Why can't she get her own apartment? The government was apparently footing the bill for her father, and yet she works for the government now and they won't help her? Just found that a little confusing.

Anyway, this episode made me realize how much I'm really going to miss SG1. Because I believe they really replaced quality entertainment for the sake of laughs and finishing up all the story lines as much as possible.

Skydiver
June 10th, 2007, 02:02 PM
it had a couple of moments but over all....it has cheap bottle episode written all over it.

in other words, we need something to happen only at the sgc adn need to fill an hour.

beyond that??? complete and total waste of time.

it served no purpose. vala's father wsa a cheap laugh trick (and since when was the air force so STUPID to just put him out in the world at large?????)

it was almost like, once they got Ark of Truth, coop and the boys moved what would havev been the finale plot to the movie and needed to fill two hours...and came up with 'grand' ideas over lunch, and this was the result.

family ties is a prime example - to me - of precisely how far the show has fallen and how ready it was to get cancelled.

newbiegater
June 10th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I know some people might disagree with me about this, but i think they should have left out some of the sexual references. I watch Stargate with my younger brother, and he and I were both rather startled at the last scene. Or rather, what we saw of the last scene. Which wasn't much. So, I can only judge what I saw. But still, that was enough to make me tape over the last scene so that we don't have it lying around.

PG15
June 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
How old is your younger brother, if you don't mind me asking?

Agent_Dark
June 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I know some people might disagree with me about this, but i think they should have left out some of the sexual references. I watch Stargate with my younger brother, and he and I were both rather startled at the last scene. Or rather, what we saw of the last scene. Which wasn't much. So, I can only judge what I saw. But still, that was enough to make me tape over the last scene so that we don't have it lying around.

It's just a human body part...

Pharaoh Atem
June 11th, 2007, 05:14 AM

i agree i was kinda surprised at that myself. but Amanda tapping is doing a show or movie with that name so i think it was cheap promotion

Skydiver
June 11th, 2007, 05:34 AM
it was more likely poking fun at her

Just like, remember in threads? when daniel descended naked in jack's office and jack tossed him a flag???

they were poking fun at AT's photo shoot where she took pics wrapped in the flag and a smile

IMHO, Family Ties was tossed together over a weekend - or in very short order once they knew they had Ark of Truth to make, thus they moved the finale plot to the movie and needed to fill and episode or two. so they came up with this lame idea and slapped it together....and probably thought that camping Vagina Monologues was funny...and didn't stop to take 5 minutes to realize that - while it certainly was funny - it wasn't stargate.

Arga
June 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM
and from now on, I won't look at those polystyrene beans in postal packages in the same innocent way as before...

FoolishPleasure
June 11th, 2007, 09:34 AM
It was just a fluff, filler episode, though I did like Vala's dad.

The whole Lam/Daddy scenes were awful. Lam is such a cold fish that I can't stand to see her on screen. I would have given this episode a B for a grade, but the Lam stuff brought it down to a C-. Hopefully we won't see any Lam in the DVD movies. There are so many other interesting characters to go with, just leave her out!

Skydiver
June 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
yeah, the lam/landry stuff seemed to be brought in just to fill out the lack of gimicks for vala's daddy

they needed to kill a few minutes, we've already seen mitch's daddy, everyone else is familyless, so why not go with landry? (although it would have been nice to see...oh i dunno, teal'c becoming a granddaddy or something. that woulda been nice. to revisit ryac and his wife)

LoneStar1836
June 11th, 2007, 10:55 AM
This ep was filler of the worst kind.Ditto.

Even with my lowered expectations for this show.....

I like Vala, especially when the character is being serious, like she was in this episode, but the story was terribly written and the Lam B story was too much to endure. So any character development that was achieved is overshadowed by the very poor quality of the episode and my desire to not make any concerted effort to watch this episode ever again.

I made no effort to watch last week's episode and should have done the same for this one.

The whole Lam/Daddy scenes were awful. Lam is such a cold fish that I can't stand to see her on screen. I would have given this episode a B for a grade, but the Lam stuff brought it down to a C-. Hopefully we won't see any Lam in the DVD movies. There are so many other interesting characters to go with, just leave her out!Ditto as well. I can't stand Lam. And when they get her together with Landry to hash out the family relationship problems it gets even worse. I don't like either character to begin with so I sure as heck could care less about their family issues.

Episode gets an F from me. Crap thrown together to fill an hour. :mckay:

Liam Kincaid
June 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I enjoyed Cameron and Sam's jabs at Sci-Fi for their decision to cancel the series.

I'm Just Sayin'
June 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM
While I did laugh a time or two, it really was a poor ep.

One thing that bugged me that I didn't see mentioned previously in this thread is that I really doubt Vala kept her treasure box safe during all those years she was a Goa'uld.

Skydiver
June 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM
don't point those little plot holes out.

it'll only confuse the writers :)

continuity is nothing more than a pesky inconvenience anymore

Royalflush
June 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I debated getting up an turning off the television multiple times during this episode but I'm too damned loyal to do it. I had wondered at one point whether it would be the second or third worst episode of the season. The verdict is #2. Bad Guys I disown from being SG-1 (the only episode I feel should be absolutely disowned) and Bounty wasn't as bad as this episode.

All that said, the ending was still damned funny! :tealc:

Carter1994
June 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Well, I am so mad!! I wrote a long post and just as I hovered over 'submit' my other computer crashed!!! Argh! Now I have to try to do it again. :mad:

I did not like this episode, I thought it was a filler, though I kind of know why they did it. Here in the US, Father's Day is coming up, so maybe they decided to do something to honor it. Plausible, anyway. :)

Now;
Vala's dad was a jerk. I found it unbelievably annoying that everyone tried to get Vala to talk with him even though we all knew how it was going to turn out. Poor kid. :( Treasure chest thing was cute, however. Packing peanuts was hilarious. To bad Jasic never got, like, punched in the face though. I think I would have liked it if he had been heroic, you know, when the Jaffa pointed the staff at Vala, he shot it, Jasic got in the way, they have a touching moment... I wanted a real happy ending.

Okay, now I kinda (don't kill me for this) liked the Lam and Laundry time, I thought it was sweet. Found it annoying that she disappears for, like, 8 eps and then suddenly appears again. :S

I thoroughly enjoyed when Mitchel and Carter poked fun at the fact that Sci Fi canceled the show, very sneaky. :cool:

All right, I think that covers it all... Yep, I'm done rambling. :D

MFA
June 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
and from now on, I won't look at those polystyrene beans in postal packages in the same innocent way as before...

:lol: Me to.

I guess I'm in the minority here ... but I enjoyed the episode (minus the final scene). Glad to see Sam and Vala getting some girl bonding, and loved all the dibs at SciFi. Especially the one where they are discussing the fact that the Stargate program doesn't get all the support it used to, etc., etc., etc.

Cam's reaction to Sam and Vala in the beginning ... was that a nod to the all the Cam/Sam Shippers??? I'm not a shipper but I'll say it, he sure had a goofy look on his face when he looked at Sam, and he looked at Sam a LOT more than Vala :)

The Lam/Landry back story was good.

dec55
June 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I did (also) like General Landry's attempt at communication with his wife after all these years. I really like Dr. Lam, too, who imo has WAY too little screentime in this season. I'd almost forgotten she was still there at the SGC. But regardless, it was a nice family ep.

I understand from Lexa's website she had to cancel her appearence at a
convention to be in the up coming DVD movie....Wooohoooo!!

I hope they will give Lexa more screen time too. Again my favorite spot
in the whole tenth season......was the side story in this episode...

Okay, now I kinda (don't kill me for this) liked the Lam and Laundry time, I thought it was sweet. Found it annoying that she disappears for, like, 8 eps and then suddenly appears again. :S

It would have been interesting to see her interact more with the cast. Compared to the first part
of the 9th season it looked liked she was going to be going with Cameron....but as I recall, Lexa
said she would feel uncomfortable playing a romantic love interest while her "real" hubby was
on the set,( Shanks... aka Dr. Jackson.)

Of course if Lam had started to date Jackson....Lexa said she sees Michael at home all the time, if
she had to work with him too...it would be too much :lol.

I am just glad they made Lam a normal civilian with no action fight scenes every episode...
Lexa said she had a lot of that in her last show Andromeda.

I would love to see Lam more in the SG1 movies.....:)

waywardsage
June 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Okay, I'm not one to post a review on a specific episode. But after watching "Family Ties" on my DVR last night with my wife, I HAD to say something. Let me preface this by saying that I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan. And there are been very few episodes that i have genuinely disliked. There are plenty of eps on there that have generated tons of bad reviews that I liked.

Family Ties has to be the worst ep. I've seen in a few seasons. The casting of Fred Willard was probably one of the worst guest stars I've seen on Stargate yet. I mean, it was "Star Wars Christmas Special" bad. It felt like he was reading all his lines off a piece a cardboard below the camera. It was SO bad it felt like the writers were trying to make it cheezy like a comedic episode. But every piece of comedy fell flat on its face. It was rediculous! I mean seriously, it was SO bad my wife got up and left the TV.

I, (for some reason) kept watching the episode. I have NEVER stopped watching an episode until completion. But I was a hairs breath away from it on this one. I can't believe it myself. There was absolutely NO connection between Claudia Black and Fred Willard as daughter and father.

So bad I can't continue to complain. It was that worthless of an ep. Granted, the scene with Teal'c at the Vagina Monologues was pretty damn funny. But that alone can't hold up an entire ep. I can't believe it'll be the 3rd to last Stargate episode I'll ever see.

Lastly, I'd like to comment on the whole Ori being killed off issue. This was pretty hokey to do it several episodes before the end of the entire SERIES. I know SG-1 tends to go from a really serious ep to a comedy quite often. But I just feel that they missed the ball on this one. The tension should be ratcheting up at the end of the series. Through the whole last 2 seasons they've portrayed the Ori as the gravest threat to our galaxy ever. And bam, they wipe them out? Completely anti-climatic.

My wife was a newcomer to Stargate SG-1. She told me that the entire Ori storyline was what got her interested in SG-1. She's been watching every ep since season 9 and liked a lot of them. SG-1 was getting a fan in my wife, which is no easy task for a sci-fi series. But once she watched "Family Ties" she as like: what happened the Ori. And you know what I said? "oh, they kinda...beat them." She responded with, "That’s pretty lame. That’s why I want to watch the show. This episode is horrible." And she got up and left the living room.

That pretty much sums up the course of the end of season 10 sadly.

PG15
June 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Point of order: we haven't beat the Ori.

SGFerrit
June 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Exactly PG. The Ori are in the next episode, and the episode after that. And the first of the two movies.

Daniel Jackson
June 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Waywardsage, there have already been seven episodes of the season focusing on the Ori. Remember, it's Stargate SG-1, not Stargate ORI. The show has always been more about the team than the war against X civilization. I have found it refreshing to have the last four episodes be Ori free.

Did you and your wife see Episode 14 "The Shroud?" In that episode, the weapon capable of wiping out the Ori was sent to the Ori galaxy, but we don't know for sure that it wiped them out. All we know for certain is that more Ori warships have since come into our galaxy.

The final two episodes will feature the Ori. The feature film Stargate: The Ark of Truth will wrap up the Ori saga. Tell your wife she has two more episodes and a movie to look forward to that will feature the Ori saga.

Vala_M
June 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I actually liked "Family Ties" for some reason. It had a homely feel to it, at least for me. The whole scammer and absent dad thing was kind of funny and sad and reminded me of someone I know.

Vala,

Hatusu
June 12th, 2007, 10:00 PM
This was a very poor and unbelievable episode. Actually, I've seen it before. It was an episode of "It Takes a Thief" with Robert Wagner (1968-1970). He had gone straight, but his father showed up embarrassing him. The father was played by Fred Astaire. At least Fred Astaire was charming.

I know. It ages me. :(

When Vala and Carter came in together all gussied up and in heels, I just cringed. When Carter talked about pedicures, I thought, "The writers have gone too far!". No woman who wants to be taken seriously at work would talk about pedicures, never mind an Air Force Colonel who wears boots during her work day.

An alien father being able to immediately fit in with American society, and speak English well enough to do commercials on T.V. Hm. :cool:

Actually, the entire episode made me cringe. I almost thought I turned into a bad situation comedy show, but "Hey!" they did show the Gate and 2 cargo ships.

Remember the "Where's the Beef?" commercial? Where's the science fiction? :S

Please let the last 2 episodes of what used to be my favorite show be good; please, please, pretty please! :(

STC
June 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM
The above mentioned episode was shown in my area (GTA) Monday night, and having missed Fridays broadcast on SPACE I thought I'd better make a point of seeing what the last few episodes of SG-1 were like.

If this is the kind of **** (use whatever four letter word you wish to insert here) TPTB could come up with as a final episode in what was a stellar series seasons 1-8, then it's high time this series ended. This episode was a load of crap, frankly and a complete waste of time. Why would I even care about these characters particularly Vala (who normally I don't mind) and her imbecilic father??

Did this answer any of the questions about the series?? Did it move the storyline along, finalize anything?? No, it was complete and utter waste of time, money, people, yadda yadda.

Clearly this script could have been done anywhere any time and that was one script that should have been pitched..........under G. This post does not even begin to describe how pissed off I am at what SG-1 has become lately, and the creative talents that started this series clearly have run dry.

g.o.d
June 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I agree with with. This epi sux

P-90_177
June 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I LOVED that episode!!!! it was so funny. SG-1 at its coolest.

PG15
June 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Huh? Who told you this was the final episode?!

STC
June 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Note I said..........."last few episodes". I am well aware that this was NOT the final episode. However it was a nothing episode! They already knew the series was ending when this was filmed and THAT'S the kind of **** they see as fit to produce as one of "the last few episodes" of SG-1?? Clearly they don't have anything creative left. The cancellation is a blessing if they see this as fit to produce.

Huh? Who told you this was the final episode?!

PG15
June 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
^Seemed like you're saying it's the final episode to me:

If this is the kind of **** (use whatever four letter word you wish to insert here) TPTB could come up with as a final episode in what was a stellar series seasons 1-8, then it's high time this series ended. This episode was a load of crap, frankly and a complete waste of time. Why would I even care about these characters particularly Vala (who normally I don't mind) and her imbecilic father??

P-90_177
June 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Note I said..........."last few episodes". I am well aware that this was NOT the final episode. However it was a nothing episode! They already knew the series was ending when this was filmed and THAT'S the kind of **** they see as fit to produce as one of "the last few episodes" of SG-1?? Clearly they don't have anything creative left. The cancellation is a blessing if they see this as fit to produce.

yes they knew it was going to be cancelled WHILE THEY WERE FILMING. the episode had already been wriiten and scripts finalised before then.

marty2006
June 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM
yes they knew it was going to be cancelled WHILE THEY WERE FILMING. the episode had already been wriiten and scripts finalised before then.

Exactly, it irritates me when people complain bout this.

Arga
June 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM
If they knew the show was cancelled, then, they should have finished filming this episode but left it only as a bonus on the DVD set, like a "previously unreleased episode", or like a "deleted scenes" sections (only here, it would be "deleted episode"!)..
And if they needed to fill a episode slot to fill the quota, why not make a mega-huge-10-years-worth of a clip-show episode? like to celebrate the whole series achievements.

Skydiver
June 14th, 2007, 05:29 AM
actually, if you listen to an interview of coop's...and no i dont' know where it is, someone sent me a cd, anyway he talks about getting the movies and how Ark of Truth was to be teh two part finale to s10 and a cliffie...then the show was cancelled and scifi didn't want a cliffe, and then they got the movies, so AoT's plot was moved to the movie...thus leaving two episodes open.

IMHO, that's why we got the slapped together drek that this was. They needed to fill two episodes, family ties was one, and i think unending was the other.

dominion exists to set up a plot point for AoT, and the first 5 minutes of unending sets up the plot..and the rest is, imho, slipshod filler.

family ties is nothing mroe than a set of running gags where our characters are abyssmally stupid to facilitate the plot. It flies in the face of canon and, evidentally, even contradicts continuum...according to spoilers anyway

how can vala be a host still in continuum if she was host to qetesh for such a short time that her dad didn't know? it means that she was a host for no more than 10-20 years...yet continuum takes place over a much longer stretch of time

teh lam/landry stuff comes out of left field, especially considering that lam has been largely absent from s10 due to lexa's baby time.

what family ties COULD have been is an exploration of fathers. vala's sure...maybe the team breaks up his schemeing off world where it's just a bit more believable than him setting up shop on earth. we could have had sam and vala comparing/mentioning thier two fathers. teal'c and ryac culd have been a plot, bonus points if ryac is about to become a dad.

it COULD have been so much more and had some real emotion and angst...instead it was as if they couldn't get past 'omg, fred willard issoooooo [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' and didn't even bother to delve any deeper than what schtick they could mock

It was a waste of an hour. Just like unending is a waste of an hour. the only difference between unending and family ties is that they TRY for angst for unending while in family ties they stuck iwth the slapstick

Rac80
June 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Yep, that us roaring at my house!

I enjoyed Cameron and Sam's jabs at Sci-Fi for their decision to cancel the series.
Very subtle and cute

This was a very poor and unbelievable episode. Actually, I've seen it before. It was an episode of "It Takes a Thief" with Robert Wagner (1968-1970). He had gone straight, but his father showed up embarrassing him. The father was played by Fred Astaire. At least Fred Astaire was charming.

I know. It ages me. :(
Then it ages me too! I loved Fred Astaire as a con man... from his appearance in towering inferno to his episode as Starbucks supposed father in the original BSG, he always carried it off with style and sass! I would have preferred another actor as Vala's dad... someone more believable as a sucessful (in that he hasn't been shot or arrested) crook. Maybe Robert Wagner (nice turn around eh?) or patrick duffy? but I must agree it was a poor episode, except I did like the bit of vala and sam shopping and when tea'lc sat in the vagina monologues I roared. (ok a confession... i had to explain to my nerd-boy husband that the vagina monologues is a real show!)

P-90_177
June 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I loved family ties personally. I thought it was a fantastic episode and very funny.

As for the Vala and her father having no chemistry i thought there was. But the awkwardness and the distance between them was the whole point of the ep.

Carter1994
June 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'd just like to note that they (as in crew, actors, producers, etc.) found out that the show was being canceled right after the 200 party, which was a season 10 episode, so the eps were already written (and maybe few had actually been filmed) and thus probably not meant to end the series.

:hammond: :jack: :sam: :daniel: :tealc: :cameron: :vala:

Skydiver
June 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
true....b ut they found out about the MOVIES after the mid season break. Ark of Truth was originally meant to be the two part series finale. then they got word on the movie and they needed to fill that slot. and i personally think family ties was one of those fillers. because, over all arc wise, it does nothing for the story at all

nccjones
June 15th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Hatusu....OMG, I'm showing my age, but I remember that episode! Fred Astaire did another similar episode in the ORIGINAL Battlestar Galactica when he played Starbucks father Chameleon in "The Man with Nine Lives".

I agree, this story has been done before. I posted before that I didn't care for this episode. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that Claudia and Fred didn't have chemistry and I agree. I find that hard to take too, because Claudia pretty much can work with anyone and get away with it.

Well, here's hoping the last two episodes are great!

Arga
June 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Alright, folks

The opening sequence of the episode, re-edited by me, in sit-com manner (which sounded more appropriate for that episode) just to see how it would sound like with a laughter track.

Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwVUdp8K1aA) and on Stargatecommunity (http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/MediaPlayer.aspx?contentItemId=59282)

(of course I'll remove it if I have to)

Hatusu
June 24th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Alright, folks

The opening sequence of the episode, re-edited by me, in sit-com manner (which sounded more appropriate for that episode) just to see how it would sound like with a laughter track.

Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwVUdp8K1aA) and on Stargatecommunity (http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/MediaPlayer.aspx?contentItemId=59282)

(of course I'll remove it if I have to)
LOL! :D. It sad how much that laugh track fits. *bangs head and slips on a banana peel* :cool:

Sp!der
September 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM
i liked the episode, yeah poor teal'c :). I liked how sam cared about vala at the end, and i like vala more and more, shes hot ;)

Dr.Parrothead
September 30th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I missed this episode when it first aired and haven't bothered watching it after all the horrible reviews I've seen for it, but I checked out the ending on youtube and laughed for wuite a while. Also found this little clip which I found quite hilarious as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3BB8yu9-zo

desh
December 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Horrible episode, but worth it for the stabs at Sci-Fi and the ending scene with Teal'c.

Garth Claw
December 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Reasonably episode, but though there could have been more done with Jaskas inter-galatic contacts etc. Also why couldn't the SGC find the cargo ship, like in bounty?

captain jake
December 11th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Reasonably episode, but though there could have been more done with Jaskas inter-galatic contacts etc. Also why couldn't the SGC find the cargo ship, like in bounty?

They did find the cargo ship...

Garth Claw
December 16th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Only at the end after Jason (whatever his name was) lead them to be right on on top of it, in bounty they found the ship(s) by themselves via satellites.

MechaThor
December 16th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Alot of people have seen showing some hate for this epsiode in the "worst epsiode thread" However i don't mind it. It was SG-1s last cahnce for some humour and they delivered. The Actor (i 4get his name but he was in Anchorman) was great, so the plot may have gottern lost in their somewhere, but their was some classic moments like Stardust, The guy eating the packing corn and Teal'c at the end!

I mean that was the best ending ever since the fishing twist ending! Infact they should have been the ending scene of "Unending" instead of the rubbish, chessy sunset walk.

Madwelshboy
December 30th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I dont think its as bad an episode as people make out, i think its just the timing of the episode is the problem (yes b4 any says anythin i know what the situation was at the time). i think if the episode appeared earlier in the season it would have been better received.

CaramelMonkey
February 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I dont think its as bad an episode as people make out, i think its just the timing of the episode is the problem (yes b4 any says anythin i know what the situation was at the time). i think if the episode appeared earlier in the season it would have been better received.

Yeah. But I actually liked the episode, in a way. I liked how they took stabs at Sci-Fi. That was awesome. And I liked the Sam/Vala friendship in this one.

I didn't like how Daniel was kinda being a jerk though. And at the beginning, when they came back from the mall, I was like "What are they wearing!?" I mean, Vala's outfit was ok, but Sam? Wrong dress choice...

Oh! And the end was hilarious!

GateTrek2004
March 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I think the Last 3 Mins of the Episode is the most funniest of the epsode!

GATEGOD
July 3rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
All I can say is Tealc at the end = Bahahahaha!!!

Ulkesh47
July 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
All I can say is Tealc at the end = Bahahahaha!!!
Indeed... From "Talion" to "Family Ties", Teal'c experiences the most violent scene in the entire series and then the most ridiculous comedy scene in the entire series. Strange, that. :tealc34:

Jack_Bauer
July 22nd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Worst. Episode. Ever.

mparsons1981
July 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
This episode is terrible.

Fred willard does not belong in something like stargate!

vzzzzzbx
August 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
The end scene with Teal'c while very funny cannot make up for the fact that this was a pretty poor episode, made worse by it being the third to last ep EVER. Definately a low point for season 10 and SG-1 in general.

puddlejumperOZ
August 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I second that..

Most of my comments for this are in the other thread but I started out fairly interested then the valas dad came in and the ep dipped - luckily it picked up towards the end so i would say in general it was decent.. nice charecter stuff for vala - claudia black rocks as usual.. not much of cam (shame) Walters line too landry was very funny especially the looks.. the end was so extremly funny :tealc:

Depends on where you live. Here in OZ, that last scene was considered a bit tasteless, it'd could have been done differently and still have been just as funny.:cameron:

Jack_Bauer
August 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Depends on where you live. Here in OZ, that last scene was considered a bit tasteless, it'd could have been done differently and still have been just as funny.:cameron:

It was?

(by OZ do you mean Australia)

puddlejumperOZ
August 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM
It was?

(by OZ do you mean Australia)

Yes.:vala:

Jason
October 4th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I didn't mind this episode. And that last scene, I'm still laughing about it. Poor Teal'c.

Replicator Todd
October 27th, 2009, 12:50 AM
My least favorite episode of season 10, it is hardly re-watchable. Its nice to see more of Vala's past, but the way it is set up is just terrible. Fred Willard is a great actor but the character of Vala's father is uninteresting and non-memorable. I did like the moments with General Landry and Dr. Lam, thats where the chance of re-watching comes in.

Jack_Bauer
October 27th, 2009, 01:09 AM
My least favorite episode of season 10, it is hardly re-watchable. Its nice to see more of Vala's past, but the way it is set up is just terrible. Fred Willard is a great actor but the character of Vala's father is uninteresting and non-memorable. I did like the moments with General Landry and Dr. Lam, thats where the chance of re-watching comes in.

Oh it's memorable! But for all the wrong reasons!!! :P

Cold Fuzz
October 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Oh it's memorable! But for all the wrong reasons!!! :P

Hell yeah! I was really hoping that Mitchell would just shoot Jacek and end the audience's suffering. I know this episode has already been referred to as drek by more than one poster so I don't feel bad about repeating it. This is one of three episodes in Stargate lore that I can't stand. The other two are the Atlantis episodes that feature Lucius Lavin. :S Both Jacek and Lucius are overly talkative cons. No wonder I dislike the three episodes. :psycho:

mrscopterdoc
May 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I kinda liked this eppy, thought it was funny although not entirely Stargate-like.

Martina Magnus
July 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Kinda like this ep ... wasn't the best one but still kinda cool :)

chaapa-ai
December 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM
This episode fits right in with the rest of season 10 :( but still maybe 4/10

I had the distinct feeling when Vala's father was bemoaning the fact that the IOA doesn't fund the SGC properly to Sam, that the writer's were really taking on SciFi or maybe MGM?

maneth
February 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Poor Teal'c! I enjoyed the nasty Jasec, though. Explains a lot about how Vala was to start with.

mathpiglet
June 17th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Fred Willard was perfectly cast as Vala's father. His various schemes were hilarious.

the fifth man
June 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Fred Willard was perfectly cast as Vala's father. His various schemes were hilarious.

I couldn't agree more. He did a really good job with the part. He usually does though.

Brother Freyr
April 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
The very idea of Vala's living father ruined the episode for me. Although Vala wasn't a goa'uld host for thousands of years, like the poor guy that Apophis inhabited, still Vala's immediate family should be deceased:

Qetesh inhabited Vala for a long time, long enough for grudges to form between her and other goa'uld (Baal and Athena being the ones we've seen),
Long enough for Athena to say that she helped Qetesh with the Clavica Infinitus tablet "long ago,"
Long enough for Qetesh to become a significant power among the goa'uld. (Baal complains to Vala: "You attacked my fleet at Salinas, crippled my flagship, and killed ten thousand of my best jaffa.") It takes time to acquire that kind of power.

Vala's dad? Really? Vala'd dad is long dead. What were they smoking in the writers' room?

Liked:
The veiled criticism of SciFi for canceling the show
Carter and Vala shopping, and Siler's accident

Funny:
Jasic asking Carter out to dinner.
Final scene. Teal'c's face is priceless.

Disliked:
Plenty worthy of nit picking, but it's already been done.

SamanthaJenniferChloe
April 29th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Hello! :cool:

I really thought this episode was funny. I liked the girls shopping trip that Sam and Vala had taken. It is so good to see that Sam gets to do some fun things with a friend like Vala.

It was interesting to see Vala and Landry both dealing with their families. I will take it on faith that Vala was not a host to her Goa'uld for too long that her father would die. I mean the combination of Vala and a Goa'uld would be quite powerful. I really thought that it was touching to find that Vala had kept all the items that her father had given to her even though they do not get a long well. I was glad that Landry got to go to dinner after all.

I have to say that the end scene was out of left center field yet funny. I felt so badly for Teal'c. I am a female but I have to say that I think that some things should be kept rather private. I wonder who thought that scene up anyway.

KayLyne
April 29th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have to say that the end scene was out of left center field yet funny. I felt so badly for Teal'c. I am a female but I have to say that I think that some things should be kept rather private. I wonder who thought that scene up anyway.
I thought the spoof of "The Vagina Monologues" was kind of a cute way of having Teal'c realize that there are some Tau'ri customs that he's better off not experiencing. Next time he goes to a movie/play, he'll make sure to read what it's about before agreeing to go. And seeing some of the outtakes from that scene always makes me giggle. :D

Krisz
May 24th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Still a mystery to me why this episode was made at this point of the series. It's almost the end of the show and we just get more of Vala's background with her father! Whilst it was an OK episode and quite entertaining I just kept thinking that perhaps 'The Shroud' should have been a two parter and we didn't need this at this point in the series.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
May 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Yet again, an episode I thought would suck, but in turn it didn't, Mallozzi does it again. This was a funny episode, Fred Willard was a great guest star. I loved the ending with Teal'c, would it suck to be him. I give it a ***.

2 more episodes until the end of a legacy. :(
The ending is still amazing, funniest ending of the franchise. Not much else to say about this episode.

Tomorrow, the penultimate episode, Ba'al traps Adria.

the fifth man
May 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I always look back fondly on this episode. Fred Willard was great as Vala's estranged father, and I laughed so many times throughout this one.

Brother Freyr
May 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Still a mystery to me why this episode was made at this point of the series. It's almost the end of the show and we just get more of Vala's background with her father!
I've gotten the impression, just through reading threads here, that TPTB received the cancelation news late during the production of season ten, and that they had time to change plans for only the last two episodes. There are GW members here who could confirm or clarify.

Jae'a
May 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/55931.html)

Lieutenant Sparrow
May 27th, 2012, 06:07 AM
A pretty funny ep. But like most people have said it was a bit silly having an ep like this at this time.

Vala's dad is an ass.

That scene at the end was so random yet so funny.

Matt G
May 28th, 2012, 03:33 PM
TUesday night, another ep of SG1...

1. Forgot the double scam.

2. Forgot the treasure box.

Generally meh though.

jelgate
June 1st, 2012, 04:51 PM
I have always liked Vala and how her less then moral nature was a result of the torture she went through being the host to Quetesh. Its why this episode annoys me and I would rather pretend that it did not exist. The whole idea and personality of Vala's father being a con in this episode seems to point to why Vala was the thief she was in previous times. And personally the former reason was more interesting then the second reason. It does not help that the whole episode is about Jaseck and his interaction with Vala. His scamming everyone was too predicitible and unbelieveable also makes this episode boring. The only part did like was the beginning showing Carter and Vala shopping because it showed the females bonding simliar to how the males bonded over simliar interests in earlier SG1

mrscopterdoc
June 13th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Generally meh though.yep

Don Pantaloons
October 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I thought Jacek was on par with Lucius in terms of annoyingness (and, like Richard Kind, Fred Willard is an actor that I haven't like in anything I've seen him in).

On the plus side, the ending was hilarious, and Vala had a lot of good lines. I really liked Vala this season, which was a pleasant surprise, considering how much I disliked her in S9 and in "Prometheus Unbound".

suse
October 3rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I was (mostly) pleasantly surprised at how much I didn't hate Vala in S10. There were still moments, but there was also moments that I actually liked her a lot.

fems
October 4th, 2012, 02:40 AM
The biggest problem I had with Vala was not just how annoying she was but how thanks to her it didn't seem like such a big deal for all the others to act out of character as well. Like Sam bringing alcohol on base at the end of this episode, presumably while still on duty. Granted, Teal'c and Vala probably don't get out much living in their on-base quarters and there are probably some exceptions made for them (and other aliens who might live there), but that still doesn't make Sam bringing wine (without even trying to hide it) on base credible to me. Now, if it had been Daniel the civilian-turned-GI Joe it had been semi-credible, but an AF officer like Sam Carter? Nah.

Jolinar_of_Malkshur
October 6th, 2012, 02:24 PM
The biggest problem I had with Vala was not just how annoying she was but how thanks to her it didn't seem like such a big deal for all the others to act out of character as well. Like Sam bringing alcohol on base at the end of this episode, presumably while still on duty. Granted, Teal'c and Vala probably don't get out much living in their on-base quarters and there are probably some exceptions made for them (and other aliens who might live there), but that still doesn't make Sam bringing wine (without even trying to hide it) on base credible to me. Now, if it had been Daniel the civilian-turned-GI Joe it had been semi-credible, but an AF officer like Sam Carter? Nah.

This is one of the things that annoyed me about the show towards the end. The writers used to do a pretty decent job of keeping the military stuff realistic, but (in the last 2 seasons especially) it just seemed as though they'd thrown the rule book out the window and, in my opinion, were making the characters look silly.

generaloneill
January 25th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I just watched this episode again just to see the bit with Teal'c at the end, and what did sky one do cut to end credits after one mention of the v-word, which makes me wonder does Ned Flanders work for sky one, they wrecked the best scene and only good scene in this entire episode.

Sky 1 get's a thumbs down from me over their non-stop censoring of SG-1, Atlantis and Universe. :zelenka26:

Cluas
February 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I didn't like this one either. It had it's funny moments, but was generally boring.
When Vala shot Tealc' I could see it was him, even from behind.

And.... Still waiting for the Ori, since ep 14

:comeon:

Baron Of Hell
September 1st, 2013, 08:16 AM
I thought the episode was out of place and the ending was also out of place but I liked the episode and the ending. Just a oddball episode that I found fun to watch.

enibas5
July 30th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I've gotten the impression, just through reading threads here, that TPTB received the cancelation news late during the production of season ten, and that they had time to change plans for only the last two episodes. There are GW members here who could confirm or clarify.

Even though that question came up a long time ago, I am answering it now, since I happen to read it just yet.
The cancellation of the show was announced to the crew while celebrating the "200"-episode, which means, that is was still early in the season. Afterwards everybody seemed to be quite cool about it, emphasizing that it is close to a miracle to stay on air for 10 years at all.
So, I would guess, that issues between Scifi and TPTB came up in the course of the season for whatever reason.

As for the last scene: It was RDA, who once complained that he was not allowed to do a comment on screen, includind the word 'vaginas'. If I recall correctly, it had to do with the ep. 'Menace' and the female robot 'Reese'. They completely spared it or it was censored afterwards. So, by doing this last scene, the writers took their chances and literally threw that censorship massively back into the networks face. And it is probably safe to assume, that this was only chosen as an example of many.

hedwig
July 30th, 2015, 05:11 PM
As for the last scene: It was RDA, who once complained that he was not allowed to do a comment on screen, includind the word 'vaginas'. If I recall correctly, it had to do with the ep. 'Menace' and the female robot 'Reese'. They completely spared it or it was censored afterwards. So, by doing this last scene, the writers took their chances and literally threw that censorship massively back into the networks face. And it is probably safe to assume, that this was only chosen as an example of many.

This was likely due to the influence of Robert Cooper, since he all but threw out the rules and Air Force Regulations when he became an Executive Producer on the series. He and RDA apparently were not speaking by the time RDA left the series (something RDA called "quite glacial", in fact, in reference to how they felt about each other). Cooper is also why we got so many sex type scenes in SGU.

Now that I think of it, it was pretty stupid that they wouldn't let RDA says the word "vagina", but he was allowed to use the word "penises" in Season 7's Birthright.

enibas5
July 30th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Now that I think of it, it was pretty stupid that they wouldn't let RDA says the word "vagina", but he was allowed to use the word "penises" in Season 7's Birthright.
I was thinking exactly the same thing, but actually it was not really necessary for that scene to say it - it was said kind out of the blue and really stood out. So, to me it very much appeared to be a more or less attempt, just to find out, if they can get through with - this time mentioning a male sex organ. Maybe they had a bet going on ...

Thanks for the input about Cooper's influence on SGU. It was not the main reason, but one of them - that I stopped watching it very soon. I am not at all against sexual scenes on TV, and here in Germany we are taking it more liberal anyway - but they have to make sense within the context and I do not appreciate it, if certain elements are used, just to draw "certain" viewers to a show.

Actually years ago, I made a video, kind of touching that very subject if you watch closely.

Try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAnfPwnL00

Links like that are Ok around here, aren't they?

hedwig
July 31st, 2015, 04:15 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing, but actually it was not really necessary for that scene to say it - it was said kind out of the blue and really stood out. So, to me it very much appeared to be a more or less attempt, just to find out, if they can get through with - this time mentioning a male sex organ. Maybe they had a bet going on ...

Thanks for the input about Cooper's influence on SGU. It was not the main reason, but one of them - that I stopped watching it very soon. I am not at all against sexual scenes on TV, and here in Germany we are taking it more liberal anyway - but they have to make sense within the context and I do not appreciate it, if certain elements are used, just to draw "certain" viewers to a show.

Actually years ago, I made a video, kind of touching that very subject if you watch closely.

Try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAnfPwnL00

Links like that are Ok around here, aren't they?

As far as I know, the link is okay. I guess you'll find out if it stays here. :)

I enjoyed the video.

Anja
October 23rd, 2015, 07:11 AM
I thought the episode was out of place and the ending was also out of place but I liked the episode and the ending. Just a oddball episode that I found fun to watch.

Agree!!!!

sea777
October 5th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Does anyone kknow who was Teal'c sitting next to during the vagina monologues, it looks like Teri Garr.

Quantumentanglement
October 9th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Does anyone kknow who was Teal'c sitting next to during the vagina monologues, it looks like Teri Garr.

Hey, I don't know the answer but are referring to this picture:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0900883/mediaviewer/rm3487115008

(Am I allowed to put links to other sites here?)

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 11th, 2017, 07:25 AM
That's not Terri Garr.

Seaboe

altair
October 30th, 2018, 09:10 AM
In a thirteen year perspective, I have four words:
'let's talk deal.' and 'vagina.'

Okay, it was a very weak plot, and I can see real Gateies being upset. At this stage of Sg-1, they should have been building to a climax with the Ori. it seemed like the producers were throwing a lot of semi-comedy episodes. But I thought this had some real humor, starting with Vala and Sam tramping down and Boing! the tech sarge gets hit. Also, Fred Willard is always a lot of fun, and he was entertaining. I liked his scamming old ladies, and seeing his apartment...it looked like a pinball machine met Home Design.
The camera work was good, and I would have liked to seen Vala more comedic.
Landry? Kind of went nowhere, and since his daughter is stiff and cold, I didn't care her character is one of the true failures of Stargate. Also dug in the fact that Landry was a race mixer, but that's not unusual in the military.
Also, Daniel played a good raisonneur...the rational character, guiding Vala to deal with her father.
Cam had little, but when he was on, he showed his sense of comedy, as did Sam.
My only real complaint was when they gunned down the Jaf'fa. In a comedy, you don't really want to kill people; it mixes genres. Also, I never got what Teal'c was doing there standing guard.
And, yes, The Vagina Monologues...that's sure a 2006 phenomena, and Teal'c's reactions was one of the best scenes in the series. Chris Judge should be proud. Once again: 'vagina!'
A light episode, but it reminds us that at times actors have to overcome the material. I got a lot of laughs out of this.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 31st, 2018, 07:41 AM
Also dug in the fact that Landry was a race mixer, but that's not unusual in the military.
I find this a really bizarre comment. It sounds like something from the 1960s.

Seaboe