PDA

View Full Version : Bad Guys (1016)

Pages : 1 [2]

Skydiver
May 18th, 2007, 06:23 PM
the title says it all

It's Bad...guys :)

the high point of the whole thing, beyond sam being spared being in this stinker, was seeing Josh Molina of West Wing...and then feeling sorry for him and hoping that he knows that the show isn't always this painfully cheesy and dumb

ShardsofGlass
May 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM
This is one of my favorite episodes of the season. I thought it was very well written. I laughed out loud several times. It moved at a nice clip. It was a nice team ep. It was a nice change from the typical Renn Faire villages. And the whole idea was clever.

I wish Ben could've contributed more ideas to the season. I liked the eps he wrote on FS, and I like this one too.

SG1Atlantis
May 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Pretty good ep...loved the comedy. There wasn't much action but, still overall, good episode. One thing I felt set it apart was that it didnt deal with the Ori. They went back to how some of the old eps used to be: making contact with new civilizations and dealing with the people on that planet. Not necessarily completely focusing on the Ori, metioning them yes, but they weren't the sole focus and that's something I'd like to see more often. Dont get me wrong the Ori storyline can be interesting but I miss seeing more self-contained eps.

the fifth man
May 18th, 2007, 07:27 PM
This is one of my favorite episodes of the season. I thought it was very well written. I laughed out loud several times. It moved at a nice clip. It was a nice team ep. It was a nice change from the typical Renn Faire villages. And the whole idea was clever.

I wish Ben could've contributed more ideas to the season. I liked the eps he wrote on FS, and I like this one too.

Same goes for me. Definitely one of Season 10's many great episodes IMO. Funny in so many ways, and actually a very good story. I think Ben did a great job working on this one.:)

Jackie
May 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I thought this episode should have been a 2 parter. I read on MS blog that 22 minutes were cut from the ep. I think if they did make it a 2 parter they could have really dove more into issues that were only scratched.

The wrap up was too rushed and the scene that lead Daniel to tell off the girls was cut. I think that scene would have given Daniel more credibility. It just made him look grumpy.

Over all--the ep was written rather well. Just a few plot holes--that could have been addressed with a 2 parter. Such as who were the rebels? Was the current gov bad guys or good guys on planet? Why did the people in the museum concealing machine guns in the first place.

I would have continued with the guard and the worker that was helping them. There was much more story to fill in then the time allowed. I would have liked to have scene what BB wrote before they chopped it all up.:)

MasySyma
May 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
And they call that an episode? Hmmm. It was ok, at best.

The Good:

The jokes: They were mostly funny. I loved Teal'c zatting the guy, and feisty hostages are amusing briefly.

The idea of bad first contact: The plot line is frankly long overdue. This type of episode was needed, but it came a little to late. I did enjoy the coverup idea at the end though.

Vala: Aside from a few bad jokes, she did well. She was at least useful, unlike a few other characters, Cam and Teal'c.

The Bad:

Daniel: I get that he's frustrated, and most days, I like him a bit snarky, but he should not act like a pouting child because his idea didn't work. Why did he appear to be in charge (somewhat)? Does he have experience taking hostages? With Carter absent (let's not argue the issue of Cam versus Sam rank here), Cam should be in charge.

The jokes: The episode tried too hard. It was almost like the writers were saying "Aren't we funny?" "Fans will surely laugh at this one." Some of the jokes were quite clever, but others were terrible. I was thrilled when they gagged the security guard, and I doubt that I would have minded if he had been shot. Frankly, this type of inconsistent yet obvious attempt to be funny is why I quit watching SGA. (Yes, I know that an SGA writer wrote this episode.)

The purpose: What were we doing there? Ancient weapons? The Ori may have been blown up two weeks ago, and we send the lead team basically shopping? Don't they have better things to do?

Overall, a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. This episode is out of place. It should be at the beginning of Season 9 (when Carter was missing then too), or it should have been before The Shroud.

Episodes should be good. This just was.

monkey_man132
May 18th, 2007, 08:43 PM
This episode is definitely on my top 10 list. Loved Teal'c when he zats that guy, Teal'c finally scary again! He wasn't that tough and scary sounding since he was First Prime.

Click for Teal'c awesomeness!!! (http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s10/1016/html/sg1s10e16%5F0570.html)

Great episode, so funny and entertaining. 10/10 Great episode!

majorsal
May 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
it was an alright ep. i didn't really mind that sam wasn't in it, because i really didn't... i don't know. this was another of those not quite stargate eps.

the only part i actually laughed out loud was when teal'c shot someone then leaned down and said some calming down sentence with this scary smile on his face. :p

ben's cute and i like mitchell. just thought i'd throw that in. :p

sally :)

majorsal
May 18th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Daniel: I get that he's frustrated, and most days, I like him a bit snarky, but he should not act like a pouting child because his idea didn't work. Why did he appear to be in charge (somewhat)? Does he have experience taking hostages? With Carter absent (let's not argue the issue of Cam versus Sam rank here), Cam should be in charge.

daniel hasn't been daniel since season 9 started. i know ppl grow and change, but i feel it was too abrupt and was made just to make daniel actionjackson with chick.

monkey_man132
May 18th, 2007, 09:26 PM
it was an alright ep. i didn't really mind that sam wasn't in it, because i really didn't... i don't know. this was another of those not quite stargate eps.

the only part i actually laughed out loud was when teal'c shot someone then leaned down and said some calming down sentence with this scary smile on his face. :p

ben's cute and i like mitchell. just thought i'd throw that in. :p

sally :) I agree, I think its even better that Carter wasn't in it. She would have dialed the gate faster, maybe even just plugging the gate into one of their power outlets. :lol:

MasySyma
May 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM
daniel hasn't been daniel since season 9 started. i know ppl grow and change, but i feel it was too abrupt and was made just to make daniel actionjackson with chick.

While I agree to disagree about Daniel's growth in general . . . :)

I found him too grouchy, especially with Vala tonight. In fact, he was acting like the Daniel of early season 9, who had reasons to be super annoyed with her. At times in this episode, Daniel fails to respect Vala, which bothers me.

Stef
May 19th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Yeah, this episode wasn't perfect, but you know what, I still love it. It's so refreshing to come off of the (mostly) serious season 10 into a fun stand alone like this. Is it entirely original? No. But it does have one important thing going for it: it gives each character his or her moment to shine, and let's the cast have a little fun for once. Daniel was a little out of character, but he has some of the funniest SG-1 moments I've seen since I started watching in season 9. I really liked the Vala & Cam interaction...and, of course, Teal'c manages to create some great moments with very little dialogue.

One of the things that I appreciate the most about this show, one of the things that drew me to the show in the first place, is its sense of humor. This episode epitomized that for me. Yes, I love drama....but sometimes I need a break.

Overall, it was an enjoyable way to pass the hour. As long as the show continues to do that, I'll stick with it....no mater what form it takes.

-Stef

nccjones
May 19th, 2007, 05:22 AM

I agree. Most of the episode I felt like Daniel was channeling Jack. The old Daniel would be doing everything in his power to talk with these people and convince them that they are friendly visitors from another planet. Plus, it would have been Daniel going with Cisero to find the DHD components with Vala (or in the old days...Sam), while Cam should have stayed around with the hostages and negotiated (in the old days...Jack). It's like they all were part of a body snatching program or something.

Also, someone else mentioned the set. In the old days, they would have taken pains to make the planet look alien, even if they were technologically equal to us as was this planet. But come on....it was obviously a mall or something. It's amazing how builders on other planet have the same schematics we do for buildings.

- Aside from all my gripes, it was an entertaining episode. Loved the guy who played Cisero, I've seen him in a few things.

- As soon as I saw the night guardsman, my first thought was Die Hard! Then when Mitchell said we have a John Mclane on our hands, and Daniel was like what? Teal'c knowing it was Die Hard! That was hilarious. He really does love our movies...lol

- Though Daniel was channeling Jack in his snarky scenes, I did think they were funny. The whole rules of hostages and ettiquette procedures was great. (But it was soooo Jack...ok, I know, I'll stop).

- The STARGATE!!!!!! OMG!!! I couldn't believe it had a special appearance and was an important part of the episode. This episode brought back why our wonder travelers are where they are and doing what they do :) It was like an old friend coming by to visit. I believe the Stargate is what made this episode so special.

nccjones
May 19th, 2007, 05:34 AM
While I agree to disagree about Daniel's growth in general . . . :)

I found him too grouchy, especially with Vala tonight. In fact, he was acting like the Daniel of early season 9, who had reasons to be super annoyed with her. At times in this episode, Daniel fails to respect Vala, which bothers me.

Yeah, I noticed he was grouchy with her also. Which is why Vala was probably so distant with Daniel when she was checking his pulse after being zapped. No one knew what he was zapped with but they were all nonchalant about the whole thing. At least Sam would have said "Daniel"! with concern.

It just goes against how Vala reacted when Daniel collapsed after Merlin's brain thingy knocked him out. It's almost like the director's are going out of their way to make it look like they don't care for each other which is why I think they paired Mitchell with Vala this episode. Because I feel Mitchell and Teal'c should have been with the hostages while Daniel and Vala went with Cicero.

nccjones
May 19th, 2007, 06:14 AM
One of the best episodes this season, the Die Hard parody was hysterical and the fact that they hired the sae actor who plays the cop in DIE HARD to play the outside-cop in this ep - it was hysterical and Ben Browder actually helped write it too.

GREAT EPISODE!!!!:D

Ummmm...not sure if this has been addressed yet, but that actor (Ron Canada) did not play the cop in the Die Hard movies. It was Reginal VelJohnson who played the dad in Family Matters.

jckfan55
May 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM
What was good: The premise made sense--that SG1 would arrive somewhere and be taken as "bad guys." A few humorous spots: Teal'c's "remain calm." The fact that it was a stand alone episode and not part of the Ori story.

What was bad: it seemed very uneven to me. Most of the attempts at humor fell flat with me. The screaming girl was just annoying. The dopey guard was just dopey. Daniel had his usual (for the past 2 seasons) split personality. Teal'c was mostly relegated to looking big and scary. :(
I found there was little to no suspense as to whether the security forces would break in and SG1 would be at risk. Now we know SG1 will get out of the situation, but suspense can be built in, nevertheless. Pretty ho hum to me.

Truskawka
May 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Great episode, I watched it for the 6th or 7th time and love it all the same every time. You can't really blame Ben (after all, it was "his" episode) for wanting as many screen time with Claudia as possible. The chemistry between the two of them is just wonderful (and I'm Daniel/Vala shipper!). Daniel deserves slap in the head for his behaviour towards Vala, definitely. Enough is enough. And "thank you" from the boys for saving their asses :indeed: wouldn't hurt. Vala deserves it.

-Major Woody
May 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM
If looks could kill, the look Cam gave Vala after she couldn't deactivate the bomb would have been fatal.

garhkal
May 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
That was one of my highlights too... That and daniel going off on those two girls.

SGalisa
May 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
well, after reading the negative commentaries, it won't take long to figure out who'll be hanging around for future DVDs, etc.
that's sad...

on a more positive note-- I totally agree with Stef--
(I too especially loved the interaction after the cat fight-- among many other super funny-boned moments)

Some posters aside, I LOVED this episode. ...It did something that I didn't think I'd see on SG-1....Daniel being funny! Normally he plays the straight man to everyone else, so I was pleasantly surprised to see MS get a chance to really be funny on his own....and he certainly had me laughing! He had so many priceless moments...my favorite?

[hostage catfight]
Daniel: What the hell are you DOING?! STOP IT!!
Girl #1: She started it.
Girl #2: I think you started it when you kissed Hamon *don't know the name*.
Daniel: Shut up. Shut up. You're hostages! This is like a life and death situation here. Start acting like it.
Girl #2: Oh please, you're not rebels. We're not deaf you know, everyone in this room knows it.
Daniel: That doesn't matter. You're hostages, we're your captors. We're heavily armed! T-There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this. [girl stares at him] Don't eyeball me.

MS played this scene wonderfully as Daniel tried to convince/beg the women to be afraid and act like hostages. Just a wonderful surprise. Plus, we got some nice moments between characters, like Vala and Cam...Daniel/Teal'c....Vala/Daniel even :)

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode: 10/10
-Stef

Michael Shanks said in the interview (about his new blog and BAD GUYS) that he thought his performance was appalling. :eek:
I didn't think so.
I thought he was PERFECT in the way he approached those parts he had to do. He was so outrageously *funny* in that high squealy voice with those 2 girls - and the whole *etiquette* rules and regs to hostages thing - was just hilarious!! Especially considering the idea that no one believed him being from another world to begin with...

Loved the STARE Teal'c gave Daniel when Daniel was ready to let the "hostages" go, and Teal'c just STARED gave him that ONE look of
"oh no you Don't!!! MAKE them sit this one out!!" :D

And if I had never read the interview, I wouldn't have know about the chopped out chunk of scenes.

It was funny. But that's all I give it. At least episodes like Window of Opprotunity and Urgo had more substance than this....
Urgo?? I liked Urgo, but not as much. Looking at ancient museum treasure is more intriguing...

Last week's episode (School Reunion) wasn't bad either, IMO. It was actually better than I expected, since I kept hearing nothing but NEGATIVE commentaries all over the place! Loved the pairing of Vala with Cam in both that one last week and also this week (*farscape* reunion!). ;)

And Daniel with Cam in the same camera frame, with the same hair-cut...
just take those glasses off... :D

And that guy had HUGE eyes....
OMG, yes!! that was very unusual. I kept trying to figure out where (country background) he was from. His facial structure seemed very small for his eyes...

on a sidenote: I picked up what Michael Jackson was saying about this episode (BAD GUYS) being the one that was being filmed when SCI-FI dropped the CANCELLATION hammer on the entire SG-1 cast/crew.

"BAD GUYS" ... a rather *ironic* title considering the moment.
Oooo! Where's that Zorro sword??! Tuche (tu-shay) back! :)
the (real) BAD GUYS came and cancelled the series off the air - for good. I don't expect to see the series to stay on long with any repeats after the last seasonal episode airs. *sigh*

Callista
May 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
on a sidenote: I picked up what Michael Jackson was saying about this episode (BAD GUYS) being the one that was being filmed when SCI-FI dropped the CANCELLATION hammer on the entire SG-1 cast/crew.

Hehe.

I agree with you, SGalisa. I really liked this episode as well. It seems like the comedic episodes polarize people more than the dramatic ones. I suppose it's because humor is so subjective. I personally can't stand "The Other Guys", but it completely cracks my kids up. I know some people really didn't like "Urgo", but I find it really cute. Most people love "Window of Opportunity", but the more I see it, the less I like it.

the fifth man
May 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
That was one of my highlights too... That and daniel going off on those two girls.

That scene was priceless IMO.:D Me, my Dad, and my girlfriend all cracked up at that part.

Killdeer
May 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Hehe.

I agree with you, SGalisa. I really liked this episode as well. It seems like the comedic episodes polarize people more than the dramatic ones. I suppose it's because humor is so subjective. I personally can't stand "The Other Guys", but it completely cracks my kids up. I know some people really didn't like "Urgo", but I find it really cute. Most people love "Window of Opportunity", but the more I see it, the less I like it.

I think you're completely right Callista. I loved Bad Guys as well, but don't like The Other Guys, or its sequel Avenger 2.0. And I thought Urgo was cute too. But most of "200" I really didn't find funny at all.

Humor wasn't the only thing I liked about Bad Guys though. I loved it because it was a return to the classic SG-1 episodes where the team is totally and completely out of their element, and having a horrible first contact. If I'd tried to take it seriously, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it so much, but it was just a fun episode. There were no Ori, a major plus. Cam got to be the team leader, Vala got to show off her skills and interact with someone besides Daniel, Teal'c got to have fun and look menacing :D, and Daniel got to be totally off balance and frustrated, which I always enjoy watching. :D

Overall a great episode. I will be rewatching it frequently. :D :D

the fifth man
May 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM

I've already been doing that. And will continue to do so.:D

monkey_man132
May 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I've already been doing that. And will continue to do so.:D I've seen it like 3 times...and I'm in America. Muahahahaha....

the fifth man
May 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I've seen it like 3 times...and I'm in America. Muahahahaha....

I'm in the US too.:) What can I say, I love this episode.

Stef
May 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM
So glad to see people enjoyed this episode! ITA with your statement about the comedic episodes polarizing people, callista. I've noticed that a lot of the more comedic episodes that I really enjoyed seem to be hated by no small number of fans. It's either love it or hate it for some reason. I am one of the minority that also enjoyed "Irresistable" on SGA (not to be confused with "Irresponsible"). I think it's nice to have a couple of episodes each season that are just fun! That's what this episode was for me. I guess some people just aren't a fan of that. To each their own, but I would say this was one of the most purely enjoyable episodes of the season for me.

-Stef

dec55
May 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM
:lol....Kinda campy again.....the whole season so far ....

The show has been cancelled so no point worrying about the ratings....

:D

acdj31
May 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I didn't like this ep. Oh it had it funny parts like Vala's one liners and Daniel yelling at the two girl but it was dull. I whole ep seem unbalanced.

I hated the guard, I want to zat him and lock him away somewhere. I did like Cicero he kind of remind me of Jonas a little bit. :jonasanime08:

SGalisa
May 20th, 2007, 04:58 PM

"BAD GUYS" ... a rather *ironic* title considering the moment.
Oooo! Where's that Zorro sword??! Tuche (tu-shay) back! :)
the (real) BAD GUYS came and cancelled the series off the air - for good. I don't expect to see the series to stay on long with any repeats after the last seasonal episode airs. *sigh*
emphasis re-added by me--
"Michael Jackson"...!! Ooops! sorry... shows where my brain's not been... :o

That should read Michael Shanks (aka Daniel Jackson). ;)
(hoping you'all know what I meant, anyway...) oy!

jonno
May 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I think you're completely right Callista. I loved Bad Guys as well, but don't like The Other Guys, or its sequel Avenger 2.0. And I thought Urgo was cute too. But most of "200" I really didn't find funny at all.

Humor wasn't the only thing I liked about Bad Guys though. I loved it because it was a return to the classic SG-1 episodes where the team is totally and completely out of their element, and having a horrible first contact. If I'd tried to take it seriously, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it so much, but it was just a fun episode. There were no Ori, a major plus. Cam got to be the team leader, Vala got to show off her skills and interact with someone besides Daniel, Teal'c got to have fun and look menacing :D, and Daniel got to be totally off balance and frustrated, which I always enjoy watching. :D

Agreed, I can't bring myself to dislike this one. The plot's fluffy and largely pointless - so don't look for it. It's one of those eps that you just need to sit back and let it flow over you without picking it apart for all the flaws and errors it contains.

It was humorous because of the situation (i.e the team was playing it straight. They're just not very good bad guys), unlike most of the comedic episodes in recent years where the humour is effectively forced in. Thus, it fitted in better.

Plus, great to see the Stargate front and centre. And not a ship in sight.

It felt far more like a classic series 1-5/6 ep - and is IMO, by far the best of the 'middle filler' 4 set of episodes (between Shroud and Dominion), because it kept me entertained and amused and allowed my brain to absorb, rather than think for an hour.

scapephile
May 20th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I liked the humor and as someone else said the Stargate front and center! I think there was a point----complacency can happen even to these people who experience the unexpected everyday.

angie

levisventus
May 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I think all the critics of this epiode need to realize that the plot was written with the thought that SG-1 would be continuing on into an eleventh season, which is why the time wasn't put to better use. SG-1 was actually cancelled during the filming of this episode, which also may account for unusually bad acting and/or an uptight and forced portrayal of the charatcers. - I say all this because I just got through reading the entire discussion for this episode and found the whole thing more than a little snarky. I personally found it to be not one of their bests, but it's still Stargate! Cut the crew some slack, and for everyone that liked this episode despite its obvious flaws, kudos, you know the true meaning of sticking by your show ;)

tsaxlady
May 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM
This episode just replaced Sight Unseen as my least liked SG1 episode. It is the first time I have changed channels during the first watching of an episode.

Angela V
May 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Loved it! At times I was laughing so hard I was afraid I was going to wake up my kids. I almost fell off the couch when I heard Teal'c's quite voice say "Die Hard". Priceless.

Madeleine
May 21st, 2007, 02:11 AM
I personally found it to be not one of their bests, but it's still Stargate! Cut the crew some slack, and for everyone that liked this episode despite its obvious flaws, kudos, you know the true meaning of sticking by your show ;)

Hello, welcome to GateWorld :)

You know why we don't cut the show as much slack as we might? It's cos the show sets high standards :D and is in this respect a victim of its own success :cool:

Yeah, I thought the flaws were obvious and yeah, I liked it anyway. The people who didn't, though, there's other eps that they like, and you'll probably find most of them being as enthusiastic as you'd wish in other threads ;)

Carter1994
May 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
This ep was hilarious! I loved the security guard, he was so stupidly funny! He reminded me of Felger and Coombs from "The Other Guys". There were a lot of great lines. Here's a little something about my favorite part:

Cat Fight On Aisle 12

(Two girls are yanking hair and scratching each other. Enter Daniel.)

Jackson: What are you two doing?! STOP IT!

Girl 1: She started it.

Girl 2: Hah! I think you started it when you kissed Heran!

Jackson: Shut up! Shut up! You're hostages! This is like a- a life or death situation here! Start acting like it.

Girl 2: Oh, please, you're not rebels. We're not deaf, you know! Everyone in this room knows it.

Jackson: That doesn't matter! You're hostages, we're your, we're your captors, We're heavily armed!! There's, there's rules, there's a whole school of eticate to this.

(Girl 2 stares at him)

Jackson: Don't eyeball me.

Hatusu
May 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
Sorry for being snarky. When I see Martin Gero's name in the credits, I get all excited because his shows are some of the recent best. Maybe I over-reacted.:o

As for the humor, there is RDA era style humor and post RDA style humor. I just don't think the post RDA/slap stick style humor of late is funny. I just don't. It's painful for me to watch. As someone mentioned here, part of the problem in this episode was editing that made it seem that Daniel was over-reacting. That explains some of it.

To keep it non-personal, I still think that this episode "wasn't even trying". The writing was unoriginal, the women's costumes looked like they came from a resale shop prom section, the hair styles were boring, the set looked like a mall and the displays were old Stargate props.

The only good part for me was the nice long scene, at the end of the episode, in front of the activated Gate.

That said, I was surprised that other people liked the episode. I have to respect that.

It's interesting to me that the last 2 seasons have had such disparate reactions among fans. My guess is that it's because of the change in writers and that the writers are doing more producing now. I think this has led to writing that appeals to a smaller niche group of (it could be argued young and/or male) fans, and this is most apparent in the use of humor.

By the way, it looked to me like Chris Judges' mouth was injured. Did anyone else notice?

levisventus
May 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hello, welcome to GateWorld :)

You know why we don't cut the show as much slack as we might? It's cos the show sets high standards :D and is in this respect a victim of its own success :cool:

Thank you :) And you have a good point, the show has been so great at times that episodes of lesser substance do call for criticism...I just wish that everyone had enjoyed it :)

tsaxlady
May 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM
Thank you :) And you have a good point, the show has been so great at times that episodes of lesser substance do call for criticism...I just wish that everyone had enjoyed it :)

First off Welcome!

Not everyone is ever going to like all the episodes. While this episode was not enjoyable to me personally there have been others that I have liked that others have not.

This is not directed at you levisventus -

What I find discouraging is that just because I did not enjoy this episode I got attacked and told I was not a fan of another show. Guess it is time to take my leave of this fandom when it is no longer okay to not like an episode. Each and every season has brought episodes I have not liked and others I have loved.

Those of you that loved this episode great glad you did - those of you that like me did not enjoy this episode well we are allowed to have that view as well.

Madeleine
May 22nd, 2007, 03:26 AM
What I find discouraging is that just because I did not enjoy this episode I got attacked and told I was not a fan of another show. Guess it is time to take my leave of this fandom when it is no longer okay to not like an episode.

I'm really sorry to hear that. did you report it? We'd rather know if these things are going on so that we can address the issue, rahter than not know and not be in a position to do anything.

AFAIAC you're very welcome here :)

Truskawka
May 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
That said, I was surprised that other people liked the episode.

http://terrafirmascapers.com/index.php?topic=17443.0

It's going to be a really interesting confrontation...

ChillinTheMost
May 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
While I know that things like believable alternate cultures and weaponry and all planets speaking English and the series arc and all those things are important to some people, they just aren't to me. All I care about is being entertained [and I realize that some people can't be entertained if they feel it isn't "real" - and that's fine for them].

This episode totally entertained me. When I rewatch episodes, there is almost always fast-forwarding through scenes that I don't care to see again, [or just want to ff through to get to scenes that I do want to see] and I can't think of one scene in this episode that I would fast-forward through. I enjoyed it all. This isn't just one of my favorites of season 10, it is one of my favorites from all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1.

I thought everyone had great lines. Great team interaction. Missed Sam in that regard.

Ansel Adams. Die Hard. [Love Die Hard] How to be a good thief. "Not him," while Mitchell ever so slightly shakes his head. "You really started the bomb?" "It had to be convincing." "Like he would have known!" "...unless someone gets cute! Then there's going to be killing. And whatnot." and lots more...

I do agree with someone earlier in this thread that said it may have made more sense for Daniel to go with Vala and Cicero and for Mitchell to watch the "hostages" with Teal'c, but I guess they just wanted the great "Daniel trying to be a terrorist" scenes... and I can't fault them for that, because, as I said in my first paragraph... I was entertained.

Fun story idea, Ben. --Too bad the series won't be around for him to write an episode or two. He did a fantastic job writing a couple for FarScape.

I love Mitchell anyway, but I thought he was really great in this episode. Strong and, oh, so handsome, throughout. At first, I was a little put off with Daniel taking the radio as the "leader" and not at least offering it to Mitchell, but then, this team does that. If Teal'c had been closest maybe he would have done the same thing - we know Vala would have! Afterwards, when it was negotiating stuff, it made sense for Daniel to handle it. Not that Mitchell couldn't, but isn't that sometimes Daniel's purpose on missions? Adapting the situation to the culture?

I give this episode a 10/10. I was totally entertained. And it's all about me. Right?

About Daniel seeming "orange". I don't know how true this is, but I read somewhere that Michael Shanks had a bad reaction to the Shroud makeup and the "oranginess" is a result of that. Sorry, but I can't remember the source, so I can't verify the accuracy of that story, -- so take it for what it is worth.

monkey_man132
May 22nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Great episode. Everyone seems to like it.

MFA
May 22nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I'm not a Die Hard fan, but found the episode very enjoyable and lighthearted, even with all the Die Hard references. Loved Daniel's reaction to the bickering girls - mainly because it was out of character, and how the rest of SG-1 reacted to the hostages.

And Vala's commentary about how to steal something, priceless! And then Cameron points out the obvious that everybody was thinking ...

I missed the first part so only intended to watch it later Fri night up to that point and then go to bed, but had to stay up to watch it all again!

But then, there are very few SG episodes that I do not care for.

levisventus
May 22nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
First off Welcome!

What I find discouraging is that just because I did not enjoy this episode I got attacked and told I was not a fan of another show.

Thank you for the welcome :) and I am sorry that you were attacked; you are more than entitled to your view of the show and it would be a shame for you to leave because you felt like you couldn't express it.

Hatusu
May 22nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
http://terrafirmascapers.com/index.php?topic=17443.0

It's going to be a really interesting confrontation...
Yes, I was surprised quite a bit. :P

Truskawka
May 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Yes, I was surprised quite a bit. :P

I thought so... there's definitely a quite big gap between the two fandoms, different sense of humour and completely different points of view. I guess I'm with Scapers, though...

SeaBee
May 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Great episode. Everyone seems to like it.

Sorry to say, I didn't. Maybe I was over tired or something, but I ended up feeling nothing about this ep. Except boredom. Sorry.

Arga
May 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM
The first thing that surprised me in this episode was...
Since when have they got a "Prime Directive" at the SGC ????

Mitchell said clearly they can't make first contact, the protocol, bla bla bla, send the malp, blablabla...
I mean, SG-1 have countless of times made contact with more primitive worlds and interfered severely in their society.
I found it strange they insisted about the fact they shouldn't go to the party!

Other than that, I'm of those who found this episode entertaining.
I think it could have fitted in season 1.. (stand-alone episode, stargate exploration, problems, solving problems, escape, never hear from those people again)...
I loved Teal'c saying "Die hard" to a puzzled Daniel. We know Teal'c watches movies! (especially Star Wars!)

At the end back at the SGC, I wanted Mitchell to say "Sir, let's say they're not going to have their own Stargate Program..."

PG15
May 29th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I mean, SG-1 have countless of times made contact with more primitive worlds and interfered severely in their society.

You sure about that? Can you give me an example?

I'm just curious because, well, I always remember there being a MALP first.

Callista
May 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Sure, there's always a MALP there, but isn't that mostly to make sure the people aren't all going to die from poison gas or something as soon as they step through the gate?

Let's see. In "New Ground" the guy talked to them and I guess agreed they could come on through. I think it was the same in "Icon". They were flying the little plane around in "One False Step" and then had to go get it from the naked guys. "Beast of Burden" they went on in with no regard for the people there, but there were extenuating circumstances. I guess we've never seen one where the MALP goes through and they talk to someone or observe a "primitive" society and then decide not to go. (Of course, that would make for a pretty boring episode.)

They moved all the people in "Scorched Earth". In "Emancipation" they walked right in. They didn't ask first on Cimmeria or the planet in "Red Sky". Actually, it kind of seems like one of their main functions is to go in and tell everybody that their god isn't real. That's certainly messing with a society.

PG15
May 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Maybe they finally created a "Prime Directive" to prevent the teams from screwing up? :D

Oh, and I had the feeling that they had already contacted the people from "Scorched Earth" before the episode started, so we wouldn't have known how the first contact went and whether they followed typical procedures.

Both Emancipation and Thor's Hammer happened in Season 1, before they had had a lot of contact with aliens, so formal rules might not have been made at that time.

Red Sky is a head scratcher though.

EDIT: Nope, they sent a MALP in "Red Sky" too:

JACK: (Looking around, putting on sunglasses) It's bright.

SAM: Yes, Sir! This planet's much closer to it's sun then Earth.

JACK: (Looks around, seeing various items) Festive.

DANNY: This is interesting. (Looking at some sort of pole) I couldn't see these writings from the MALP.

JACK: (He and Sam turns, she's put on glasses) What's it say?

DANNY: They're really similar to those we found on Cimmeria. Could be a connection here to the Asgard.

http://www.moon-catchin.net/gatenoise/sg1transcripts/s5/505redsky.htm

Arga
May 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM

:mckay: hmmm, you may be right about the MALP. I was too quick writing about it..

But what I really meant to say is that, in this episode, it wasn't the usual way to deal with first contact.
Usually they send a Malp to see if the atmosphere is breathable, and if it's relatively safe to go through the Stargate, don't they? It's not every time that the Malp shows civilization. The SG team just go there and scout and discover the locals.. (and boldly interact with them).
Here, on the other hand, they've already sent a malp (Daniel mentions it in the first minute) and when SG-1 went to the planet, I assumed what Cameron meant was to guide a Malp towards the crowd and talk to them via the machine...

OK, I've watched it again and paid attention. Mitchell says when they make 1st Contact with a fairly advanced civilization, they don't do it in person first, they do it through the MALP.
That explains it.
They have a sort of "prime directive", but unlike Star Trek, it's not aimed to less advanced folks, but it's to deal with advanced societies!

By the way, (sorry I haven't read all the pages of this thread yet), did anyone notice the nice Earth symbol on the fake DHD? So it was copied from the Earth one?? I thought this symbol for the point of origin was unique..

here, a bit enhanced from it's original darkness:

http://ednys.free.fr/stargate/SG-10x16image1.jpg

Callista
May 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Maybe they'll have to start bumping the MALP into the DHD to make sure it doesn't fall over before they send people through.

I think you're right, Arga. There are different protocols depending on whether the society is advanced or primitive.

"New Ground" and "Icon" are examples of the advanced societies and the rest that I mentioned would be primitive. They did talk to the people first and ask about coming through first in those two.

Arga
May 29th, 2007, 02:57 PM
More clues:

here is the original MALP ! on this screenshot, taken at an angle that doesn't require the use of expensive special effects for the event horizon - they reserved it for the end of the episode)
The Malp never came back.. obviously, it couldn't!

http://ednys.free.fr/stargate/SG-10x16image2.jpg

It's at least the 5th time where they go somewhere without a working DHD

The Torment of Tantalus (DHD broken)
Solitudes (DHD low batt)
Prisoners (no DHD at all, but they didn't go there on purpose!)
New Ground (although the DHD was just a bit more burried)

Callista
May 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM
More clues:

here is the original MALP ! on this screenshot, taken at an angle that doesn't require the use of expensive special effects for the event horizon - they reserved it for the end of the episode)
The Malp never came back.. obviously, it couldn't!

It's at least the 5th time where they go somewhere without a working DHD

You would think they'd be a little more proactive about checking those things before gating through. In your picture, it looks like it could easily have been driven around the post to get a look. (Although, then they would have had to use my patented bumping technique to find out it wasn't real :p)

I think the only one of those you mentioned where they really blundered into it was The Torment of Tantalus (and, of course, Bad Guys). They knew about the one in New Ground and brought a generator with them, right? Even so, you'd think by now they would have come up with a little robot that could sashay over to wherever the DHD is and dial back to confirm it works or something. (Of course, then the robot would be vulnerable to anyone wanting our address I suppose.)

kgw021404
June 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM
I laughed at the way Cicero was holding the gun. His finger was no where near the trigger and the security guard never noticed.
You'd think that he would have after Cicero said that he never used a gun before!!
I liked this episode overall although I agree with people earlier who said that they felt the ending was a little rushed.
It was nice change of pace to see Daniel:daniel: do comedy.:jack: :tealc: :sam: :daniel:

garhkal
June 1st, 2007, 06:19 PM
I just wish they could have delved a bit more into the planet's history, sort of given us a reason they were so 'against the truth' about Daniel and co being from another planet..

1DanielForMe
June 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I think they were at least a bit shaken up from the situation with SG-1, even though they learned they're not bad. I'm thinking, also, that they'd rather not be dealing with any off-world contact until the rebel situation blows over, and who knows when that will be. Another thing, there was a time in Earth's history when the idea of intelligent beings from across the stars visiting us wasn't exactly an idea most people were happy with. It's quite possible this planet is at that stage now.

As for my feelings about this episode overall: I love it! Admittedly, the end is a bit frustrating, but also funny with Jayem actually seeing himself as a "hero", and I like to think that Cicero could get through to the Viceroy at some point. "Bad Guys" had a lot of groovy things going for it. The scenes with Cameron and Vala were funny. Of course I loved most of the stuff with Daniel. I didn't enjoy when he got stunned, of course, but I was obviously happy when he woke up. I especially loved the scene when he's making the demands: "but If you get cute, there's gonna be killin'...and whatnot" *laughs* I also love the expressions Teal'c makes in this scene, and later when Teal'c zats that guy. *laughs* again. "Bad Guys" is, all in all, my favourite 10th season episode. It's the only one I’ll ever totally feel like watching the DVD of.
By the way, (sorry I haven't read all the pages of this thread yet), did anyone notice the nice Earth symbol on the fake DHD? So it was copied from the Earth one?? I thought this symbol for the point of origin was unique..Well, we don't know that for certain. It's makes sense that Earth falls into the coordinates of other planets, in which case we'd see a symbol for it on other, non Earth based DHDs, and it's not entirely unlikely that the most well known (for us) Earth symbol would not be exclusive.

ChillinTheMost
June 12th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I think they were at least a bit shaken up from the situation with SG-1, even though they learned they're not bad. I'm thinking, also, that they'd rather not be dealing with any off-world contact until the rebel situation blows over, and who knows when that will be. Another thing, there was a time in Earth's history when the idea of intelligent beings from across the stars visiting us wasn't exactly an idea most people were happy with. It's quite possible this planet is at that stage now.

And don't forget that governments and militaries like to make those kinds of decisions for us. They like to decide whether we're ready for something or not. Their perception of what the public's reaction would be to a situation would certainly influence the information they decide to share.

Torri ROCKS
June 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Luved the episode!!!:sheppard::weir::sam:

Beckmen
July 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM
The DHD thing kind of irks me. After TTOT, the SGC was sure to get visual proof of the DHD, but I am sure they also would make sure it worked. This could easily be worked with. Mitchell dials, the DHD lights up, but nothing happens. They soon learn that the DHD is a working replica that only puts on a light show, and that the MALP confirmed that the DHD was giving off an energy source, so they thought it was all OK.

Anybody know what Mitchell's other plan to power the gate could have been? He says "We could--" and then Daniel says "Don't go there.". I'd consult the commentary, if there WAS one!

garhkal
July 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Probabily use some sort of truck, like they did in 1969..

PG15
July 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM
No, he says "seaweed?", to which Daniel answers with "don't go there".

The seaweed most likely refered to the vines used by Linea in "Prisoners", which used some form of cold fusion to provide energy to dial the gate.

Nice reference.

Beckmen
July 30th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Oh, I couldn't make out what he said, but the subtitles said 'Say we...'. Sea weed, lol. Where would they GET sea weed?

jenks
July 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM
The sea :)

Arga
July 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
No, he says "seaweed?", to which Daniel answers with "don't go there".

The seaweed most likely refered to the vines used by Linea in "Prisoners", which used some form of cold fusion to provide energy to dial the gate.

Nice reference.

That's what I understood as well..
Cam having read all the mission reports, he must have thought of this episode...

sci-fi fanatic
August 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Does anyone know why there is no commentary on Bad Guys in the Season 10 DVD? It's the only episode that's missing one, which is very rare (Threads is the only other since they started offering commentaries).

Any insights? Do the producers just hate this episode?

PG15
August 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
They just couldn't get anybody connected to this episode to do it I reckon.

suse
August 7th, 2007, 11:53 AM
They just couldn't get anybody connected to this episode to do it I reckon.

Exactly. People volunteer their time to do the commentaries. No one wanted to do it, apparently. ;) I don't blame them...

suse

Beckmen
August 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Well, it seems to me that Peter Deluise was banned from doing commentaries. He and said in I think the season 8 DVDs somewhere (commentaries) that 'This will be my last commentary' and it sounded like TPTB didn't want him doing anymore. He did more, but then in season 10....not a one. If they had let him do it, I think he would have done one. IMO 44 minutes of fart jokes is better than nothing, and he does manage to squeeze a good amount of solid info in his commentaries, especially if Gary Jones isn't sitting next to him...

PG15
August 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Well, PDL has stopped working on Stargate after SG1 ended, so he's basically "gone".

Beckmen
August 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM
That's so sad. I assumed he would do some Atlantis episodes in season 4, but I guess not. :(

John's PuddleJumper
August 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Okay, bad in some bits, good in others.

They (SG-1) should have know letting a medical team in was a bad idea, they had to be an extraction team. Daniel being in chrage not good so not him. Vala absoultly horrible in this epi, like all the others she been in.

The whole epi a little far fetched in places, but real understanding on the back ground, kind of like die hard etc.

Not a real fan of it

warmbeachbrat
March 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
"Murderous Rebels, come in please...."

LOL! Just as funny the second time around!

suse
March 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
This episode should have been called
"It's Bad, Guys."

suse

warmbeachbrat
March 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Really? I rather enjoyed it....:)

Killdeer
March 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Really? I rather enjoyed it....:)

I liked it too - it was my favorite of S10. :)

KindlyKeller
March 20th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I liked it too - it was my favorite of S10. :)

This was a great episode. Daniel was absolutely hilarious in this.

"Unless you get CUTE... in which case, there's GO-nna be killin'!"

"Murderous rebels, come in, please."
*strange look* "Speaking."

garhkal
March 21st, 2008, 08:27 PM
"Shut up. Ladies hello.. you are hostages"!

Ladyinred
March 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
"Shut up. Ladies hello.. you are hostages"!

This was great. Daniel :indeed: was hilarious in this episode! :lol:

sweetsamurai
July 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM
I loved this episode - not on my top ten but still enjoyed the episode.

Daniel telling the women off was hilarious.

Liked the idea that SG-1 were seen as badguys - Cam was cute in this episode - love it when he gets annoyed at Vala.

Cam to Vala: "You were just showing off".

Jeff O'Connor
August 18th, 2008, 06:07 AM
A solid episode in its own right. Had some laugh-out-loud moments. My girlfriend watched it for the first time tonight as I had it set to record when it came on at midnight on Fox and I arrived home, turned it on and she loved it.

Daniel's snapping, Vala's thievery attempts, and the 'Die Hard' reference (mostly funny because Teal'c got it and Daniel didn't) were her favorite parts, and I'm inclined to agree.

Gretchen
September 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
.Daniel's snapping, Vala's thievery attempts, and the 'Die Hard' reference (mostly funny because Teal'c got it and Daniel didn't) were her favorite parts, and I'm inclined to agree.

I love that part, because its so funny when teal'c talks about human things. Like earlier when he wanted to watch old school on the teams movie night.

Zalenka
September 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
I liked this episode as it was a welcome relief from the big Ori story and it was funny.

Stargate never takes itself too seroiusly and that's why it's good.

cablekit
September 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Got to admit i laughed out loud when i watched this ep.

Sue_Jackson
September 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I love this episode! :D I thought it was quite funny! Daniel was just funny and adorable. I loved it when he got all POed at those women. "Don't eyeball me!" :valaanime06: :lol: Vala and Cam were also funny together. :D Cam: "Ever heard of sane rebels?" :D

Crazedwraith
December 4th, 2008, 06:03 AM
This was pretty good episode but could anyone else tell that it was a Ben Browder story idea? For some reason the whole set up, especially the way Daniel acted, just screamed 'Farscape' for me.

I love Teal'c's line after he zatted the minister. Although I have to wonder why they were all still toting P90s at a bunch of civillians, instead of the Zats. I mean the hostages wouldn't know they were no lethal.

Madwelshboy
December 30th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Just watched this again last night! its a nice little one of episode. had a smile on my face from start to finish. loved the vala sence "removal of treasure from a sealed glass/metal enclosure"

silly sally
December 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM
this has crackfic written all over it...

Nanjana
July 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I loved that epi, was so great! Did Ben not wrote this together with uhh, now I forgot the name! Help me? Me and my brain at least I did not forget to get out of bed! :rolleyes: Honestly it was one of my favorit epi's, 1-RippleEffect,2-Bounty,3-Bad Guys and so on!:D Was great to see Vala in her element and the rest try to get out (again) of the situation!

Rorah
July 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I really liked the episode.BB is really a good author.

The best part was the "Die Hard" reference.Especially because my mom and I had just both agreed that this one guy totally is a John McClane wannabe.And just a sec later Cam was saying it to Daniel.
Of course it was hilarious that it was Teal'c who got it.They way they shot that sequence was pretty awesome, too.Teal'c walking into the screen and says nothing more but "Die hard" and then is walking out of the screen again.
One of the funniest scenes and of course so typical for Teal'c.

They really should the actors write more episodes.Nearly every episode ever written by one of the actors belongs to my favs.No offense, to the actual writers.I love their stories too.I love everything about Stargate, so..

suse
July 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ben came up with the story idea. He did not write the script.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s10/1016.shtml

STORY BY - Ben Browder and Martin Gero
TELEPLAY BY - Martin Gero
DIRECTED BY - Peter DeLuise

Honestly, I thought this ep was one of the worst of the season, as in "It's bad, guys." Cringeworthy lines.

My understanding is is went way over time so stuff had to be cut, so that didn't help.

suse

Sprinkles
July 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Honestly, it had it's faults but I liked it, it was a nice change of pace, it didn't have the puritanical vibe as much as some other episodes, that can make them a bit bland.

Nanjana
July 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I really liked the episode.BB is really a good author.

The best part was the "Die Hard" reference.Especially because my mom and I had just both agreed that this one guy totally is a John McClane wannabe.And just a sec later Cam was saying it to Daniel.
Of course it was hilarious that it was Teal'c who got it.They way they shot that sequence was pretty awesome, too.Teal'c walking into the screen and says nothing more but "Die hard" and then is walking out of the screen again.
One of the funniest scenes and of course so typical for Teal'c.

They really should the actors write more episodes.Nearly every episode ever written by one of the actors belongs to my favs.No offense, to the actual writers.I love their stories too.I love everything about Stargate, so..

I agree on everything... So great!:D
Love Cam aswell ;)

Mrs. Daniel Jackson
October 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
love this episode, i know a lot of people don't but I always laugh my head off! :P

things i love:
-daniel trying to act like a terrorist :P to funny
-the look tealc' gives daniel when he says "we aren't gonna hurt them".
-the two girls fighting
-daniel freaking out at the two girls fighting :P
-cam and vala fighting
-vala actually turning on the bomb
-cams reaction to vala actually turning on the bomb
i could go on! :)

things i didn't like:
-the security guard. he kinda annoyed me. i mean theres funny, and theres trying way to hard.
-the ending was a little last minute choppy and not believable

but still like a 9.5/10!!! :D

-Kat

Jeff O'Connor
October 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Best part was Daniel snapping at that quarrel between the two women and the man. Easily makes the episode.

'Bad Guys': ***

stargatelover4ever
January 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Best part was Daniel snapping at that quarrel between the two women and the man. Easily makes the episode.

'Bad Guys': ***

oh I love that part too :D and there would also be the part when Daniel speaks to Quartus and says "we're not gonna hurt the hostages" and then Teal'c gives him a look and Daniel gets tough "unless you get cute, there's gonna be killing" :lol: just gotta love bad boy-Daniel;)

Tachyon
April 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
This episode was awesome. :D

mrscopterdoc
May 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
One of my favorites! So funny! :D

Elorendil
June 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
This episode had me laughing my butt off. Daniel pretending to be a rebel and holding people hostage was absolutely hysterical. This definitely is one of my favorite 'funny' episodes!!!

Martina Magnus
July 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM
One of the funniest eps in SG-1 :D :D :D

Ashizuri
July 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
I like the idea of the episode, the first contact going so hilariously wrong, but this episode fell so completely flat on the humor for me that I just can't enjoy it. It's like they were patting themselves on the back and saying "my, aren't we funny" but it just wasn't. Humor episodes are so risky because for most fans it's either a love it or a hate it situation, and I definitely hated this one. It practically screamed for RDA's light, humorous touch and the natural chemistry of the early seasons.

MS is a great actor, but his performance here is reminiscent of kids in a high school play. He's absolutely awful. Over the top and just ridiculous. And acting incredibly childish. This episode is the perfect example of cranky, whiny Jackson of season 9/10 that I absolutely hate. And why did he assume the head rebel position? Out of all of them Daniel was the least qualified for it.

Vala was ok. I'm starting to rethink my opinion on CB's talent, she's becoming really hit or miss for me. Either she's amazing, or she's just sort of....there. Nothing special. This was definitely a nothing special performance. I dunno, I'm just not as impressed with her as I think I should be.

Teal'c, however, was quite awesome. I think the only bit I actually smiled at was the Die Hard reference and his "please remain calm while we sort this out" after he zatted the minister guy. He and Mitchell we the only bright spots in this episode for me.

maneth
February 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Loved it, and best of all, no Ori/Priors. I'm sick of them. But yeah, a pretty screwed up first contact situation.

dogstarz
April 8th, 2011, 12:37 AM
This is episode was hilarious. I have enjoyed watching Teal'c through out the series make movie references, but the Die Hard reference was one of the funniest.

Ibn Rushd
June 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Did anyone else notice the statue of Nefirtiti in the exhibit with the bomb? And Ra's gimmicky headdress from the movie? ;)

garhkal
June 17th, 2011, 03:09 PM
nope.. got screen caps?

Ibn Rushd
June 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
From Gateworld dvd screencaps. This is actually a good shot.

the fifth man
June 17th, 2011, 07:08 PM

I can't argue that. This was such a great episode. It showed that this show still really had it.

garhkal
June 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
From Gateworld dvd screencaps. This is actually a good shot.

Thanks...

mathpiglet
May 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
I think it's a great episode. No Ori, just a really messed up First Contact situation. They really need to learn to check that the DHD works before visiting another world. You'd think after The Torment of Tantalus, they'd have figured that out!

Jae'a
May 22nd, 2012, 04:24 PM
My Livejournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/55342.html)

Was looking forward to this one :P

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
May 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Just finished. I've got to say I didn't expect that Ben was responsible for the Story (along with Gero). This one was different, although the hallway reminded me of the hallway from Bounty, in the high school. I wonder how different it would be if Amanda were in it. This back half is really surprising me because I thought most some of the episodes would suck. I give it a **1/2.
Would've lasted not very long if Carter was there. Martin's Atlantis episodes are so much better than his SG-1 ones are.

Tomorrow, my birthday episode, another guy Jaffa tries to bring origin to the free Jaffa.

Lieutenant Sparrow
May 23rd, 2012, 05:19 AM
Not a bad ep. Had its funny moments at least.

That girl screaming was damn annoying though.

Krisz
May 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
I agree, that girl was annoying, not a very convincing scream!

Otherwise I actually sat back and just thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

Don't know where their sudden creation of, and adherence to a 'Prime Directive' came from though. Since when have they considered what their impact is on various civilisations, they still keep walking into the 'medieval' villages?! :tealcanime49:

garhkal
May 25th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I think it's a great episode. No Ori, just a really messed up First Contact situation. They really need to learn to check that the DHD works before visiting another world. You'd think after The Torment of Tantalus, they'd have figured that out!

And how can they do that? The DHD won't respond while the gate is active, and they can't control the remote unit with it shut..?

I did think it was a pity that we never got to go back.

Matt G
May 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Tuesday night...another ep of SG1...

1. Forgot that the DHD was fake.

2. Boy did Daniel sound stupid...

3. This is nowhere near the worst ep of SG1. Not sure how it could have been done much better.

Solid filler but not much else.

hedwig
May 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Tuesday night...another ep of SG1...

1. Forgot that the DHD was fake.

2. Boy did Daniel sound stupid...

3. This is nowhere near the worst ep of SG1. Not sure how it could have been done much better.

Solid filler but not much else.

Daniel also sounded like he had a large frog in his throat when he was yelling at some of the prisoners. :)

jelgate
May 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM
This goes with episodes like Urgo and Revisions. What were they thinking when they wrote this episode. It seems contrary to everything we know for SG1 to pose as basically terrorists and pretend to run a negiotion. It just makes no sense to me. Topped on that is the ridicilious nature of the guest character. Night Guard Triden was suppose to be funny. He was just pathetic in his incomptence. The only thing I did like was the showing of how Vala is able to steal things from advanced security systems and that was a very small part of the episode.

suse
May 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM
Would've lasted not very long if Carter was there. Martin's Atlantis episodes are so much better than his SG-1 ones are.

Well, imo these are the strongest SGA years & the weakest SG-1 years so that makes sense.

mrscopterdoc
June 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
yep :D I love Daniel in this one

Darkland
July 11th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I enjoyed the episode and I thought it was an interesting concept in itself. But it felt like the episode was really disjointed, it should have been at the beginning of the season not torward. I felt like we were getting into the thick of the Ori stiuation and then this episode comes along and distracts me from that. Yeah I could have just skipped it and then went back to it.

The episode was good. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, it was most good. I'd give it about a 4/10. It loses points because it seemed to be all over the place in terms of the way it was written and executed. It also loses points because there was no Sam in it. :p Sorry!

Priceless -

The die hard joke - love the fact that Daniel didn't get it - but Tealc did! hehe :)

Vala and Mitchell - Love the fact she activates teh bomb but can't turn it off - Yeah the death stare at Vala from Mitchell - well deserved to her.

I thought the screaming match between the two girls over the guy was not really necessary, but Daniel's reaction to it was gold. Then the classic "don't eyeball me!". :)

So in conclusion not bad, good, but not spectacular either. It's just sits in the middle for me.

Cluas
February 18th, 2013, 02:47 PM
This was under average and I really didn't like the screaming girl. Or the night guard, was he supposed to be funny? And then the fact they buried the gate? And why is it six hours before the check in at SGC? Is it always like that?

The actor playing Cicero was kind of cool. But I missed Sam, she should have been there.
Or the writers could have had Bruce Willis play the night guard, that would have changed it for me...
:lol:

Oh and ... Still not a word about the Ori ships? That was back in episode 14 for cryin' out loud :jack_new_anime06:

garhkal
February 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Perhaps the SGC has a standard 'check in' protocol established for going on different missions.

suse
February 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Check in is as the plot dictates. LOL

Baron Of Hell
August 31st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Thought it was a fun episode. They did go off track with first contact rules and pretending to be terrorist but I still liked it.

Brother Freyr
August 31st, 2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah, this one's funny. I love Daniel's exasperation. "You're hostages! There's rules! There's a whole school of etiquette!"

garhkal
September 1st, 2013, 01:37 PM
He did seem to love getting into that role.
Though i did love the teasing of vala that mitchell was doing in relation to the 'earth movie' references for that guard (die hard!)

enibas5
July 30th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Ah, surely not a pinnacle of the stargate era. But I am a simple gal. As ever so often, there were those little bits and pieces that made me laugh out lot - which hardly any other show can achieve on such a regular basis. So, I am again forgiving and just overlook the flaws in that ep.

Best part for me:
Tealc's facial reaction to Daniel saying "we are not gonna hurt them [the hostages]". PRICELESS!

garhkal
August 4th, 2015, 12:16 AM
There were just so many good lines in this ep, i can't pick just one..

Anja
October 23rd, 2015, 07:02 AM
Agree with most of the posts, felt a bit out of place.
Great funny elements.

Cmdr Sean Coll
November 1st, 2015, 06:39 AM
Hi there all,
I've recently re-watched this episode and 1 thing annoyed me about it. It's when Cam and Vala were going to remove the Naquadah bomb from the display case. Why were they going all artefact heist flick?? When they could have just shot the glass case and when those metal bar/shutters came down they could have used 1 of the many Staff Weapons that are on display to blast through the bars, instead of dealing with that annoying security guard who they should have zatted in all honesty.
These are just my thoughts on this episode.

garhkal
November 1st, 2015, 09:33 PM
Hi there all,
I've recently re-watched this episode and 1 thing annoyed me about it. It's when Cam and Vala were going to remove the Naquadah bomb from the display case. Why were they going all artefact heist flick?? When they could have just shot the glass case and when those metal bar/shutters came down they could have used 1 of the many Staff Weapons that are on display to blast through the bars, instead of dealing with that annoying security guard who they should have zatted in all honesty.
These are just my thoughts on this episode.

A) perhaps the glass was bullet proof
B) since the DHD was faked, who's to say the power packs in the staffs was there?

BethHG
July 31st, 2018, 08:36 PM
This is such a fun episode so many funny lines! Loved it! Another episode the family all watched together, and laugh with together!:D