Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting caught up...Anyone wanna talk season one?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting caught up...Anyone wanna talk season one?

I've just finished watching the DVDs and then all the eps with commentaries. I can hardly wait for season 2 to come out on DVD! I hope it inlcudes bloopers and deleted scenes though...

Anyway, I'm watching season 1 again, and am hoping to discuss a bit with someone who isn't all "We've already been through that 20 times".

Anyone interested?

Cheers!
    Em
    Emerald
    ~ Ninja Squirrel ~ Attack Squirrel ~
    I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Can't really help with the season 1 discussion, as I have already seen season 2, but about the DVD's - sorry, but they don't have deleted scenes and bloopers (I already have the individual DVD's for Region 2). They do have episode commentaries, though. And "behind the scenes" features and suchlike.
    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald01 View Post
      I've just finished watching the DVDs and then all the eps with commentaries. I can hardly wait for season 2 to come out on DVD! I hope it inlcudes bloopers and deleted scenes though...

Anyway, I'm watching season 1 again, and am hoping to discuss a bit with someone who isn't all "We've already been through that 20 times".

Anyone interested?

Cheers!
      Em
      congrats on watching S1!! I found I enjoyed it better than S2 actually. But that's just me.

So what was your favorite episode?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
        Can't really help with the season 1 discussion, as I have already seen season 2, but about the DVD's - sorry, but they don't have deleted scenes and bloopers (I already have the individual DVD's for Region 2). They do have episode commentaries, though. And "behind the scenes" features and suchlike.
        I have to admit, I think it's really great that they have commentaries for SO many of the episodes for season 1. They're lots of fun for listening. Rachel Luttrel cracks me up. Especially when she's talking with Paul McG.

Well, I can live without bloopers and such. It's weird that they don't have them though. That's like a staple of DVD releases. And the actors were talking about them in the commentaries. They'd probalby like them as well. Oh well, I'll be happy just to get the episodes on DVD.

Cheers!
        Em
        Emerald

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
          congrats on watching S1!! I found I enjoyed it better than S2 actually. But that's just me.

So what was your favorite episode?
          I think I like it better than season 2 as well. But then again, I really, really miss Ford.

Favorite episode. Tough call! The Eye was a really fantastic episode I think. I loved seeing that Sheppard in that situation. Total military guy, and it showed how smart he is. The way things came together in that episode was really nice.

There were a few eps I hadn't seen before, which surprised me. I thought I had caught all of them at some point. "Before I Sleep" was really enjoyable to me, though I'm not sure I could explain why. Just the idea that the original expedition was actually a total disaster and Weir gave the rest of her life to ensure that it had a chance of succeeding the 2nd time around. I just really liked how all the characters responded to the other Weir and how things worked out.

I really enjoyed The Brotherhood because I like anything that involves solving puzzles, and the exchange where Shep talks about the MENSA test with McKay is totally priceless!

And Siege Part I was excellent. I didn't like Siege Part II as much. Too much reliance on gun fighting and stuff.

Strangely enough, I really liked Childhood's End.I don't know what fans thought, but Martin Gero didn't seem to think it was great. I guess those are my favorites. I don't think I could pick just one.

I can pick one I did not like. Sanctuary. *snooze*

How about you?

Cheers!
          Em
          Emerald

Comment

You picked some good eps!! I would have to say my favorites from S1 would have to be 38 Minutes, The Defiant One (TDO), and Letters from Pegasus.

38 minutes and TDO for the same reasons - shep whump. 38 Minutes we get our first glimpses of the team starting to work together and we also get more glimpses of their personalities. In TDO I liked McKay being faced with the difficult of choice of staying with Gaul and wanting to be out there helping Shep. We also got a bit closer look at the wraith and how old these 'creatures' can actually be.

Letters from Pegasus - I guess I liked the fact that the expedition was coming to reality that things are getting pretty bleak (sending good bye messages home). Yet, you have Shep being Shep going out to gather intel and wrestling with the fact he wants to save Teyla's friends, but yet needs to get the intel back to Atlantis. THe show off between teyla and Shep in the PJ was well done. Of course McKay going on about his 'leadership' talk was absolutely funny.

What I really enjoyed the most about S1 was the fact the expedition was really isolated and alone; up against an enemy they really didn't know or understand. Just knowing the overall feeling of being secure and safe was stripped away and to me, that could be felt throughout the season. I loved it.

As for episodes I didn't like - I would have to go with Sanctuary as well. Lots of possibilities there, but they decided to make the military commander look like a love struck teenager. That didn't sit well with me.
            sigpic

Comment

I have to admit, I think it's really great that they have commentaries for SO many of the episodes for season 1. They're lots of fun for listening. Rachel Luttrel cracks me up. Especially when she's talking with Paul McG.
              Congrats on S1 from me as well! It was a great season.

I think my fav coms on S1 are with Paul and Rachel. They are so funny together. And I loved the coms with the two Martins and David. Those were pretty comical as well. But Paul and Rachel are my fav hands down. I wish S2 had coms with them, but I don't think they do. Sadness.
              Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

You're right about those eps. I almost named 38 minutes and TDO as well. I honestly loved Sheppard's ingenuity, and Rodney's softer side showing through and seeing some of the hard choices that people are willing to make.

38 minutes also shows just how much Rodney has come to care about Sheppard. The sheer and utter relief he shows when Sheppard is revived is actually touching.

In LFP, when Shep is saying they'll save Teyla's friends if they have time... I was mostly on Sheppard's side. They needed to get the info back to Atlantis as quickly as possible. I think Teyla got a bit of a clue when she saw how hard it was for Sheppard to sit in the jumper and not save the people who were out there being scooped up. Making the choice to save only a few was not nearly as easy as Teyla had thought. Besides, she could have discussed it with Sheppard before making the offer.

Which brings me back to the subject of... leadership.

I didn't mind Sheppard's behaviour in Sanctuary too much. It was a little much when he got all mad at Rodney, but generally okay. (I loved Rodney's reference to the "Kirk routine". LOL!) I just felt it was generally a waste of 40-some minutes. Especially since it ended with Sheppard supposedly experiencing this profound thing. And then what? What was that? The thing that bugged me was that they should have tried leading Wraith to the planet, which would have kind of gotten Chaya to destroy them to protect her planet. Nobody even thought of that.

One of my favorite lines of the series was in "Hide and Seek." Weir says something like, "I thought you didn't believe in ghosts." And he basically says, "I didn't, but then we traveled to another galaxy where there's a race of beings that suck your life out through their hands. What's with that?!"

I love Rodney. Truthfully, I love the whole cast. Whoever did casting and writing for this show really is doing a fantastic job on the whole.

Cheers!
                Em
                Emerald

Comment

Originally posted by leighanners View Post
                  I think my fav coms on S1 are with Paul and Rachel. They are so funny together. And I loved the coms with the two Martins and David. Those were pretty comical as well. But Paul and Rachel are my fav hands down. I wish S2 had coms with them, but I don't think they do. Sadness.
                  *snicker*
                  "This is Martin Wood." "This is Martin Gero." "And this is David 'Martin' Hewlett."

I thought it was a riot that Joe Flanigan kept referring to David McKay.

And Paul and Rachel crack me up. "You look lovely there." "Why thank you, Pauly." "It's amazing what lighting can do."
                  Emerald

Comment

*snicker*
                    "This is Martin Wood." "This is Martin Gero." "And this is David 'Martin' Hewlett."

And Paul and Rachel crack me up. "You look lovely there." "Why thank you, Pauly." "It's amazing what lighting can do."

I must confess, I really didn't watch too much of the commentaries. Saw the one for Rising and bits of Childhood's End I think, but that's about it. Maybe I'll have to go and check them out one of these days.

So who is your favorite character?
                    sigpic

Comment

I disliked Sanctuary as well, whenever I'm mad at myself I force myself to watch it.

But the audio commentary is fraking hilarious!

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

*snicker*

I about fell off my bed I was laughing so hard at that. David Hewlett is such a nerd. Gotta love it though!

I loved the com when Torri showed up at the end...what was it? Hide and Seek? Cause they were talking about Jinto!!! Yes that's it! And they were talking about Atlantis the musical and having a big production on the stairs!

I loved S1 coms! I hope S2's are equally as great!
                        Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

Originally posted by leighanners View Post

I loved S1 coms! I hope S2's are equally as great!

I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler for S2, but avoid the Peter DeLuise / Gary Jones commentaries. The rest are fine.
                          Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

One of my favorites from Season 1 was Letters From Pegasus, it has shown a side of the characters that has not been shown before

Comment

Originally posted by gavo2o View Post
                              One of my favorites from Season 1 was Letters From Pegasus, it has shown a side of the characters that has not been shown before
                              That's true!
                              I could have done with the vids the people were recording for their loved ones or others' families the entire episode. It was really heart-warming and I would have loved to see the messages from more other expedition members as well, even ones we never knew before and wouldn't see again.
                              The one Rodney taped was hillarious!!! And poor Ford had to edit that... I'm sure he cracked up more than once - like I did.
                              And sweet Carson, sending a vid to his Mom...
                              I truly enjoyed this side of all the many characters. Great episode.
                              Though I don't care a lot about the plot with Teyla and John - ok, it was moving and somewhat important but I was more interested in the messages because that was different from the other eps, quieter.

My favourite eps are 'The Storm/The Eye'. Kolya and Shep were gorgeous together. And Rodney standing in front of the gun for Elizabeth - I bet he never thought he'd EVER do anything the like.
                              Also 'The Strom' contained IMHO two pieces of the best banter ever with Rodney and Radek working on a plan to safe the city, plus Rodney and John discussing who disables which grounding station.

And I actually liked 'Sanctuary'. *ducks away, just in case*
                              It's not one of the best in S1 but not bad either. For one, I found Leonor Varela simply stunning as Chaya (I'm not into girls but I can totally see what Shep liked about her). In addition I didn't think Rodney had the right to judge John over his midnight picknick with her. Come on, they are all over 21 and (most likely) didn't sign a celibacy contract. That's not saying anyone of them should go hunting skirts or pants but the occasional flirt doesn't hurt either.
                              And it surely broke my heart when Chaya told them she wasn't allowed to help them by any means, even though she wanted to ("That's what makes it punishment").
                              Twinchy---
                              sigpic
                              FanFic---------------------------------------------------Twinchy's Lair

Comment

Working...
                              X