PDA

View Full Version : Would laser weapons be an option?

the_dark_light
January 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Given that the object of the exercise in coming up with ideas for weapons to use on the Daedalus etc, is ones that are not totally outside the realm of possibility, why not use laser weapons?

Lasers aren't practical for use in an atmosphere, as too much energy is lost to the gas that the beam travels through (the reason I always laugh at sci-fi featuring soldiers firing their laser rifles), but that isn't a problem in space.

And of course, they are being considered by the REAL air force as a way of disabling enemy spy satellites (use the laser to blind detection equipment)

boberth2o
January 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Given that the object of the exercise in coming up with ideas for weapons to use on the Daedalus etc, is ones that are not totally outside the realm of possibility, why not use laser weapons?

Lasers aren't practical for use in an atmosphere, as too much energy is lost to the gas that the beam travels through (the reason I always laugh at sci-fi featuring soldiers firing their laser rifles), but that isn't a problem in space.

And of course, they are being considered by the REAL air force as a way of disabling enemy spy satellites (use the laser to blind detection equipment)

It’s a possibility but it would probably take too much power to create a strong laser. The plus side of it is that when you fire the weapon it will be a continuous stream of energy.

SoulReaver
January 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
The plus side of it is that when you fire the weapon it will be a continuous stream of energy.that's actually quite good, it would put more strain on the shields it hits, plus a weapon shot that travels @ lightspeed means it's impossible to dodge

major drawback is, lasers don't show in space (unless you look directly into the beam in which case you might see it for a few milliseconds before you're fried)
now that means less energy gone to waste, but it also means very lousy visuals - I mean if u don't see the beam and only see the point of impact on the shields/hull, that sux0rs :ronon:

Ehecatl
January 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I thinking plasma weapons are probably better. If only the Asgard could trust us with such a weapon. They could at least give us a simplified and maybe even weaker version of their pulse weapons or even set up another Asgard as an observer to monitor the use of their technology.

the_dark_light
January 7th, 2007, 04:11 AM
I thinking plasma weapons are probably better. If only the Asgard could trust us with such a weapon. They could at least give us a simplified and maybe even weaker version of their pulse weapons or even set up another Asgard as an observer to monitor the use of their technology.

Doesn't really matter if lasers can't be seen or not. Laser weapons are often seen in sci-fi (e.g. on EF destroyers in babylon 5) and the effects depts make them visible.

wise one
January 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM

a simplified weapon of the asgard would help but if they would put a asgard on board the would be ways in which we abuse it like we did with our beaming tech, it was just supposed to beams things but instead we now seem to beam warheads, and becos of this, every earth ships seems they can beam warheads.

Dutch_Razor
January 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM

But these lasers can pop balloons: www.wickedlasers.com

And those are handheld, couldn't a very higher powered rifle version burn humans?

Col. Shadow Quinn
January 8th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Phasers would do fine.

ARMS
January 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM
In reality, the energy loss outweighs the gain for a useful weapon.

Raj_2006
January 8th, 2007, 03:20 AM

but remember all those technology will got from other races and backward engineered them, it my be impossible or possible to make with the ordinay skills and technology on earth but include skills and tech from things they have learnt from there travels throguh the gate and it will be better, y not use a naquadah generator to power the laser? And wasn't felgar's energy weapon like a laser/phaser? They should introduce tht now on to the ships.

ARMS
January 8th, 2007, 03:37 AM
With out understanding it's a waste, alien you never know.

belistner
January 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM
free electron lasers and solid state lasers are both being studied by the us for possible future weapons .
while they are not really a good option at the moment they are getting better all the time .http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/a4ce42fd3f98a010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.htmlsome stuff about lasers

they've already developed some pretty powerfull lasers using both FEL and solid state and they are getting more powerfull with every new design .
and now there are a few companies competing against each other you'll see the tech grow alot faster .

within a few years the military will be using lasers shoot down missiles .

http://xfelinfo.desy.de/_medien/roentgenlaser_schema.jpg
FEL laser
http://www.phog.physik.uni-muenchen.de/gifs/compact-laser.jpg
solid state

immhotep
January 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
According to the Ultimate visual guide the weapons installed on Promethius were lasers...

jenks
January 8th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Nonsense, they would be great against darts.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Okh1AetsyyI

ACharmedAsgard
January 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Well we all know that the Ancients created a beam weapon on the Satillite so it my just be a possibility

jenks
January 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM
^^ It wasn't a laser.

Raj_2006
January 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM
^^ It wasn't a laser.

wht was it then? :ronananime28:

immhotep
January 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Nonsense, they would be great against darts.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Okh1AetsyyI
Very interesting, Star wars we are coming...

jenks
January 8th, 2007, 09:34 AM
wht was it then? :ronananime28:

Some sort of energy beam weapon.

ACharmedAsgard
January 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Some sort of energy beam weapon.
Energy Beams are lasers

Lasers don't just mean light, a laser beam is a focused beam of light or/ and energy

jenks
January 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Energy Beams are lasers

Lasers don't just mean light, a laser beam is a focused beam of light or/ and energy

No, lasers are just light, or other EM radiation.

ACharmedAsgard
January 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Well if that's the case. I don't think they will have laser defences etc but would have some sort of Beam Weaponry.

the_dark_light
January 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Specifically a coherent beam (hence the reason they can't be seen)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser

hyzmarca
January 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Lasers are really more viable than other scifi weaponry, with the main advantage being velocity which greatly increases the maximum reliable kill range. The trick is to have as high a frequency as possible to reduce diffraction and achieve a reasonably high efficiency. An X-ray or Gamma-ray weapon would be superior due to their high frequencies and low wavelengths, but they are rather difficult to focus and direct.

However, Stargate doesn't have realistic space battles. It has styling plot-driven space battles. Since their physics are never, it would be difficult to determine is lasers are a good idea.

ACharmedAsgard
January 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'd definatly think beam weaponry would appear on some Stargate vessels