PDA

View Full Version : DC vs. Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

The Ori
January 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hey guys I wanted to start this thread for us to be able to talk about our favourite characters and all so go ahead let rip.

Mine is obviously The Martian Manhunter, he's got everything!! The fact that he is gonna be on Smallville i'm psyched!

TheBigFlush
January 7th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Ah, the age old discussion of DC -vs- Marvel.

Well for my part, I've always been a Marvel fan. It just seems to me that they've always had the edge when it comes to really fleshing out a character.

The Ori
January 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I've been looking at these characters lately and I feel that Marvel characters are although cool, the same in terms of where they have got there powers from like the Power Cosmic and stuff like that, there isn't enuff story to their lives!!

P-90_177
January 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I just can't tell the difference really. They're all super heros either way.

Nuallain
January 8th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Well, technically, the DC characters are "Super-Heroes" and the Marvel ones "Superheroes."

They've actually copyrighted each one, respectively.

The Ori
January 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Wow, I didn't know that!!

The Ori
January 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM
but id there were to be a battle out of the DC vs. Marvel who would win?

TheBigFlush
January 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I've been looking at these characters lately and I feel that Marvel characters are although cool, the same in terms of where they have got there powers from like the Power Cosmic and stuff like that, there isn't enuff story to their lives!!

Actually, I've always found it to be the other way around. Once DC characters become heroes (or whatever) their real lives don't matter so much. Whereas Marvel heroes usually have to balance both (Especially now during the Civil War event).

but [if] there were to be a battle out of the DC vs. Marvel who would win?

They actually did this years ago. It was a huge event called Marvel vs DC / DC vs Marvel. It was a 4-issue miniseries in which the two universes collided and some heroes were forced to fight for their universe. There were 11 battles, 5 of which were voted on by the public. In the end Marvel won, but since it was a vote, it's not exactly definitive. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_vs_DC for more details. between the 3rd and 4th issues of the series, they released issues of "Amalgam Comics" which were 1-shots featuring combinations between characters on both sides (Wolverine + Batman = Darkclaw!). It was pretty cool, definitely worth checking out if you can find it in trade or back issues.

The Ori
January 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Actually, I've always found it to be the other way around. Once DC characters become heroes (or whatever) their real lives don't matter so much. Whereas Marvel heroes usually have to balance both (Especially now during the Civil War event).

They actually did this years ago. It was a huge event called Marvel vs DC / DC vs Marvel. It was a 4-issue miniseries in which the two universes collided and some heroes were forced to fight for their universe. There were 11 battles, 5 of which were voted on by the public. In the end Marvel won, but since it was a vote, it's not exactly definitive. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_vs_DC for more details. between the 3rd and 4th issues of the series, they released issues of "Amalgam Comics" which were 1-shots featuring combinations between characters on both sides (Wolverine + Batman = Darkclaw!). It was pretty cool, definitely worth checking out if you can find it in trade or back issues.

Thanks man

Exiled Master
January 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Marvel all the way. They don't set a hero's power to infinity (Hulk is the exception).

TheBigFlush
January 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Marvel all the way. They don't set a hero's power to infinity (Hulk is the exception).

I wouldn't even say Hulk's power is set to infinity... Silver Surfer on the other hand... well, let's say he's at infinity minus one.

Exiled Master
January 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't even say Hulk's power is set to infinity... Silver Surfer on the other hand... well, let's say he's at infinity minus one.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Hey, does anyone know if a colored compilation of Civil War will be issued?
This whole Civil War thing has me kicking myself for not getting Marvel subscriptions. ****

TheBigFlush
January 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Hey, does anyone know if a colored compilation of Civil War will be issued?
This whole Civil War thing has me kicking myself for not getting Marvel subscriptions. ****

Marvel has a habit of releasing pretty much everything in trade format. Civil War should wrap up sometime in February, so my guess would be to look for a trade sometime in the fall (October, November). Whether it will include Frontline, or simply the main Civil War series is another question.

Some of the tie-in series are definitely worth checking out though; Frontline is good, the Wolverine tie-ins were really cool, as were Spider-Man's and some of the New Avengers'.

The Ori
January 11th, 2007, 05:27 AM
What do you mean set the powers to infinity? Me no understands it!!

Exiled Master
January 11th, 2007, 07:23 AM
The Hulk is stronger and more resilient then most other mortal heroes. But I'm not sure he's the strongest...

TheBigFlush
January 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Basically it's a way of saying that a character is so powerful that nothing could possibly be a challenge to them, which usually makes for boring stories.

*cough*superman*cough*

Nuallain
January 12th, 2007, 06:55 AM
The thing with the Hulk is that the 'anger' thing means they can make him as strong as he needs to be in any given story. He can be weaker if that's more interesting or he can be literally juggling mountains in another.

It's possibly the worst version of the 'infinte power' syndrome because it cops out of even the dramatic difficulties of having an infinitely powered hero.

The Ori
January 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Oh yeh thanks now I understand and the Superman-Hulk characters do come into that!

TheBigFlush
January 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
The thing with the Hulk is that the 'anger' thing means they can make him as strong as he needs to be in any given story. He can be weaker if that's more interesting or he can be literally juggling mountains in another.

It's possibly the worst version of the 'infinte power' syndrome because it cops out of even the dramatic difficulties of having an infinitely powered hero.

Agreed. I've never really been a Hulk fan. But at least they had the sense to "balance" it out by making him an idiot... though being able to beat him at checkers is small comfort when he's trashing your house/city/planet.

Oka
January 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM
DC cuz of Vertigo.

Dahak
January 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Marvel has the better "flagship" character. Spiderman is better than Batman and far better than Superman (who is kind of weak as a single character).
I like JLA more than the Avengers (I dislike Thor a lot) and think that JLA down to Teen Titans works better than Avengers to Fantastic 4.
However the fact that the teams work better actually hurts DC in the individual comic books. As an example when Batman got crippled by Bane there was about 50 super heros that were a better choice than Azrael. Of course if one of the Flashes filled in for him then the story would have sucked.
Also as others have said the Marvel characters seem to have a better written real life than the DC characters.
The weird backstories for both universes are pretty dumb. But DC's seems slightly less contrived. Like I said I really dislike Thor and I like the various GLs.
I guess I would say I like DC more. They seem to be a better universe in general. However I buy more Marvel books (Squadron Supreme is Marvel).

TheBigFlush
January 12th, 2007, 08:10 PM
[I] think that JLA down to Teen Titans works better than Avengers to Fantastic 4.

I don't get what that part means...?

Also, the coolest thing Superman ever did was die.

Dahak
January 13th, 2007, 05:01 AM

What I mean is that the JSA and Teen Titans are backups or in training for the JLA. The major DC super hero teams are usually working together and have a plan when something major happens.
In Marvel the Avengers and X-Men seem at odds a lot of the time. So when everyone has to work together for some reason we have to read some contrived reason.
Basicly I like JLA more than the Avengers. Like I said Thor is my most hated major character.

TheBigFlush
January 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM
In Marvel the Avengers and X-Men seem at odds a lot of the time.

That's not really true...

The Ori
January 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I don't like the stories of the X-Men and all that Fantastic four stuff, although I do like the Galactus stories!!

Trek_Girl42
January 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I haven't been reading graphic novels for long- for the most part they're wayyyyy too expensive, but I've found that what I've been reading/waiting to read most are DC/Vertigo titles- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (currently reading), Watchman, V for Vendetta, Sandman. On the Marvel side of things, Marvel 1602, and Astonishing X-Men. In terms of Superheroes/ Super-Heroes- I like the Marvel characters better over all (two of my three favourites). Spiderman, X-Men, and Batman are the ones I'm most interested in.

Of course what I'm most looking forward to in comics at the moment is Dark Horse's Buffy Season Eight. :D

Phantom Limb
January 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
although DC have the icons (superman, batman, booster gold:D etc) marvel seem to be more willing to stretch their characters.
1602, marvel zombies, the ultimates line, the earth x trilogy, (to name a few)
marvels characters have worn better through time, superman is one of the most boring characters that has ever existed in comics and DC always seems to be playing catch up to marvel in terms of story telling having said that:
Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, Red Son, Crisis on Infinite earths.
but what have they done that has been ground breaking recently?
so DC has had its moments but the universe is far too insular marvel seems to be in touch with the times not trapped in the past, or at least it feels that way to me.
i prefer marvel in the end their stories are just more interesting.

Superman vs Hyperion, that i would like to see.

TheBigFlush
January 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I haven't been reading graphic novels for long- for the most part they're wayyyyy too expensive, but I've found that what I've been reading/waiting to read most are DC/Vertigo titles- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (currently reading), Watchman, V for Vendetta, Sandman. On the Marvel side of things, Marvel 1602, and Astonishing X-Men. In terms of Superheroes/ Super-Heroes- I like the Marvel characters better over all (two of my three favourites). Spiderman, X-Men, and Batman are the ones I'm most interested in.

You're in for a treat when you get to Watchmen and 1602. Sandman, DKR and V are also very good. Sounds like you've lined up a very nice reading list. I'd also recommend grabbing each company's big Alex Ross title (If you haven't already): DC's "Kingdom Come", and Marvel's "Marvels", both of which are fantastic. Also, if you're at all a fan of Wolverine, you're definitely going to want to grab "Origin", which will knock your socks off.

The Ori
January 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I swear to you they should make more programmes like Smallville version of either DC comics or Marvel, with the graphics they can use nowadays it would be soo cool!

Trek_Girl42
January 18th, 2007, 05:32 PM
You're in for a treat when you get to Watchmen and 1602. Sandman, DKR and V are also very good. Sounds like you've lined up a very nice reading list. I'd also recommend grabbing each company's big Alex Ross title (If you haven't already): DC's "Kingdom Come", and Marvel's "Marvels", both of which are fantastic. Also, if you're at all a fan of Wolverine, you're definitely going to want to grab "Origin", which will knock your socks off.
I read Watchman- borrowed it a couple months back and absolutly loved it, hope to buy a copy once I've finished the stack I've got from the library, my library actually has a great supply that will keep me busy for awhile- hoping to start 1602 tonight. :D

Will definitly have to look out for that Wolverine title. :)

I swear to you they should make more programmes like Smallville version of either DC comics or Marvel, with the graphics they can use nowadays it would be soo cool!
Yes, but with good writing and acting. :rolleyes: I was really excited about that show, until I watched it. :(

wise one
January 22nd, 2007, 04:13 AM

i agree with you, that would be so cool

travis
January 22nd, 2007, 04:29 AM
LOL I think there both the YIN and YANG of comics. If they were to both take out a match it be a draw.

Exiled Master
January 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM

roflol*greens*
I've always wondered how superman and batman got through doors with those shoulders.

jds1982
February 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
roflol*greens*
I've always wondered how superman and batman got through doors with those shoulders.

It's all in the technique in how you hit the door. Oh you meant walk through them not bash them in.

I prefer DC myself.

Angela V
February 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Also, if you're at all a fan of Wolverine, you're definitely going to want to grab "Origin", which will knock your socks off.

I haven't really collected X-Men comics since 1996. But I did pick up "Origin" in it's graphic novel form. Almost made me want to collect Wolverine again. But then I'd want to back track and collect what I don't have from #114 and on and I just don't have the money to do that.

Karyyk
February 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I'm a Marvel fan in general, Iron Man in specific (not that Iron Man is very popular these days during the farce that is Civil War). As for the Hulk being set to infinity, well, I know Iron Man (who is NOT set to infinity) has either fought him to a stand-still or bested him during their "encounters," so I'd have to think he's not, but then again, there are more factors involved than mere brute strength).

fugiman
February 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Marvel hands down, they have better everything. I mean super man is to damn powerful and not a fair superhero in my personal opinion. Batman is the only good thing about DC. However I am glad they used Green Arrow instead of Batman in Smallville because its differnt, although I wouldn't mind a cameo appernce from my boy Batman. Anyways Marvel is 100 times better then DC. Marvel has Spiderman, Ironman, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, X-Men and so many more. Also Marvel has so many better movies. However I would like to see Hulk and Thor Tagteam against Superman and Captain Marvel

TheBigFlush
February 27th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Marvel's characters tend to be relatable on some level. Superman's not a character, he's a tool; at least when Marvel creates a supremely powerful character, they usually also make them extremely flawed in some way as a counter to their power.

Betelgeuze
February 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM
DC/Vertigo

Krichton
March 4th, 2007, 05:20 PM
DC comics are just a mess to read. Characters have the most outlandish names, customes and powers not to mention the stories are ridiculous. It makes it impossible to follow them sometimes.

TheBigFlush
March 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
DC comics are just a mess to read. Characters have the most outlandish names, customes and powers not to mention the stories are ridiculous. It makes it impossible to follow them sometimes.

Especially whenever they do a Crisis story, and everyone's history changes...

Nuallain
March 5th, 2007, 07:36 AM
DC comics are just a mess to read. Characters have the most outlandish names, customes and powers not to mention the stories are ridiculous

So... they're comic books, is what you're saying.

4thDoctor
January 2nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
I love them both, but give Marvel the edge. Of course I'm only talking about the silver & bronze age eras. I don't read the modern stuff, it's too out of character for my taste.