PDA

View Full Version : Better power network for Atlantis

Ehecatl
January 5th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Atlantis only uses a few naquada generators to power the city but those can't even power half the city combined. What if Atlantis was to have enough generators to power the city and use ZPMs primarily for powering the shield.

This way the city would be able to have power throughout the whole city and the scientists could explore and learn more about Atlantis. No more limiting power to certain parts of the city.

gkyun
January 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
IMO the city runs on ZPMs just fine, one single ZPM can power the whole city except high power draining components like the stardrive while shields can be raised and maintained in a limited capacity whenever it is necessary. I don't see a need for more power source beside emergencies.

cowpants
January 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM
As McKay said in "The Siege Part III" that with nothing actually hitting the shield, the ZPM could power it indefinitely. If it can technically power the shield for that length of time, then it can handle all the other systems pretty easily. I see the shield power expenditure, even when not being hit, as higher than all the other systems, probably combined.

Ehecatl
January 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM
More power sources so they can keep the ZPM longer. Every little bit helps, maybe the next time they won't deplete the ZPM so fast.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 6th, 2007, 12:08 AM
well if they dont do anything dangerous they could probably keep one ZPM running for probably around 3,333 years. ours maybe 2000 years, if we dont constantly cloak or shield ourselves. we should have a long time.

gatelover12
January 6th, 2007, 12:30 AM
And I don't imagine naquada grows on trees.

Artus
January 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM
It's time for the inhabitants of Atlantis to wake up and realise the massive potential of an energy source and its availability in such large quantities.........

tidal power :D :p

Buba uognarf
January 6th, 2007, 04:23 AM
well if they dont do anything dangerous they could probably keep one ZPM running for probably around 3,333 years. ours maybe 2000 years, if we dont constantly cloak or shield ourselves. we should have a long time.

thats only when holding back the weight of the ocean...under no strain a Z.P.M can last almost indefinately powering shields etc...

zpm!!
January 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Lets see, hydro power, thermal, sea current power, and other stuff.

.jolinar.
January 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM
It's time for the inhabitants of Atlantis to wake up and realise the massive potential of an energy source and its availability in such large quantities.........

tidal power :D :p

Thats an Idea accually.

neoncrazy101
January 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
we might see something like that in Submersion...cant wait for that episode.

Dutch_Razor
January 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
As McKay said in "The Siege Part III" that with nothing actually hitting the shield, the ZPM could power it indefinitely. If it can technically power the shield for that length of time, then it can handle all the other systems pretty easily. I see the shield power expenditure, even when not being hit, as higher than all the other systems, probably combined.

If that's true they're very stupid for not having the shield on all the time, and on the Daedalus.

What if there where a surprise attack and the guy on the sensors was distracted? Boom!

Iambob
January 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
remember in Rising when Mckay stated that the shield had to hold back an entire ocean? Thats when the zpm could only last 3,333 years while it was under so much stress from that ocean. Now if they were on the surface it would matter if they had the shield up or not so that 3,333 years thing would be irrelivent. :)

.jolinar.
January 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I think we should put a Dam near the main-land or somthing. It would be a long term project though. Or perhaps wind turbines?

wise one
January 11th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I think we should put a Dam near the main-land or somthing. It would be a long term project though. Or perhaps wind turbines?

we wouldnt know how much power we have to produce to power some parts of the city even naquada genarators have trouble powering a whole section.

talyn2k1
January 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Only problem with doing that is that if the Wraith ever came back to Lantea for whatever reason and they detected the dam/turbines then they might figure out that Atlantis is still there and just start firing in the general direction of where Atlantis was last time they were there.

If that happened they wouldn`t have a chance as they would be cloaked therefore they would have no shield.

The expedition needs the planet to look uninhabited from orbit. Even if there is only a smal colony on the mainland it could start the Wraith looking around and result in them finding Atlantis.
Only way to solve this problem is to park a jumper by the dam permanently and use its cloak to hide it in the event that the Wraith came back.

Detox
January 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM

It's a waste of resources and time. A single Naquadah generator probably proves more power than those dams.

.jolinar.
January 12th, 2007, 08:20 AM
It's a waste of resources and time. A single Naquadah generator probably proves more power than those dams.

I know that but we're supposed to think of alternate power sources so...thats alternate

Dalario
January 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Is it only me of Atlantis take lots of power ?
The Naquadah generator have trouble powering only part of the city, it's only light and computer, I can understand a power surge when they activate something big, but lights and not working computer shouldn't take that much power...

PG15
January 12th, 2007, 11:50 PM
It's much more than that; you're talking about powering several city blocks filled with alien technology.

belistner
January 15th, 2007, 06:57 AM
they should just get the Daedalus to bring a 304 power generator to atlantis .
if it has enough power to travel from galaxy to galaxy it should easily power everything in the city leaving the shields and cloak to the zpm .