This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARCTURUS and TRANSPORTERS

What if you used the culling beam (or any transporter) to remove the exotic particles. Then erase the data of the particle from the memory of the transporter. Would this solve the problem and allow the new energy source to work properly?

i'm not sure normal rules of physics apply to said particles, but the law of conservation of mass would be a serious roadblock to that. You can't destroy or create matter, only break it up and reorganize. Interesting thought, though
    Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
    Check out my Flickr

Comment

I don't know if you save and delete matter like that. One way or another, the problem would still inevitably occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese
        i'm not sure normal rules of physics apply to said particles, but the law of conservation of mass would be a serious roadblock to that. You can't destroy or create matter, only break it up and reorganize. Interesting thought, though
        yup - the very fact those particles are exotic means by definition that they don't obey those laws (not all of them anyhow) so there's absolutely no guarantee that the transporters will have any effect on them

however matter can be destroyed & creater in the sense that it's a also form of energy (E=mc²) so for example mass can be converted to another form of energy. actually that happens all the time in nuclear reactors where he total mass of the fission products is less than the mass of the original nucleus before fission (the lost mass is converted into energy, some of which is used to produce the electricity)

Comment

convert it to exotic energy
          http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
          The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deadman
            convert it to exotic energy
            yes then convert this energy to exotic mass - eg. exotic fruit

Comment

Then they'll be plenty of food for the Wraith.
              http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
              The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

I still think the best idea is shunting the dangerous particles into the 'pocket universe' of a dead ZPM. It seems reasonable that you could use the cross-universe bridge device (probably a smaller version actually) to force the particles in there, and ZPM mini-universes don't contain anything that we care about damaging. Once full of exotic particles ZPMs might become quite dangerous though; kind of like an ultratech version of nuclear waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Starglider View Post
                  I still think the best idea is shunting the dangerous particles into the 'pocket universe' of a dead ZPM. It seems reasonable that you could use the cross-universe bridge device (probably a smaller version actually) to force the particles in there, and ZPM mini-universes don't contain anything that we care about damaging. Once full of exotic particles ZPMs might become quite dangerous though; kind of like an ultratech version of nuclear waste.
                  I thought ZPMs are considered "dead" when the mini universe inside essentially collapses on itself. If the universe inside the ZPM no longer exists/is stable enough to draw power from, wouldn't it stand to reason that you couldn't put anything back into them, especially if what you're putting into it is a very volatile, very dangerous substance that doesn't obey normal rules of physics?
                  Last edited by Col. Matarrese; 07 January 2007, 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Check out my Flickr

Comment

wouldnt jeanie's equations have helped them predict and control the rate of the creation of exotic particles? If mcay waited wouldnt project arcturus have worked?
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
                      When somthing is caught in the unstable vortex of a newly opened gate is'nt that matter destroyed?

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                        When somthing is caught in the unstable vortex of a newly opened gate is'nt that matter destroyed?
                        I was under the impression that when something got caught in the unstable vortex it did not reintegrate meaning it is converted to energy which would be bad if you had a zpm dangerously over charged with exotic particles

Comment

well in 100 days the vortex made that hole for tealc to dig out of, and there was no rubble. and in 48 hours if they didnt get tealc out of the stargate's buffer thing he would have been erased. both situations kinda defy the laws of the conservation of mass.
                          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

When you get hit by the vortex your body gets disintegrated and converted to energy that is then just dispersed in the wormhole and gate.

same with teal'c. his energy signature was stored in the gates buffer. Like a capacitor holding a charge. The only time he would be "erased" would be if someone dialed INTO sgc. And then he wouldn't be "erased", his energy signature would be absorbed by the gate and dispersed throughout the vortex, thus making him power for the gate to work.

As the exotic particles are exotic, they may not obey all the laws of physics/thrmodynamics that we know today. A culling beam could have an adverse effect on them, like fission. ZPMs do not have "universes" inside them, they are artifical pockets of subspace that deplete over time. Energy can only go one way in ZPMs, for now. Dumping those particles into a ZPM wouldn't do any good as we have seen that they travel through evrything they come in contact with. Even if you could do it, what would you do when you filled the ZPM? You would have the MOST DESTRUCTIVE weapon in ANY universe. You couldn't use it for an energy source and if anyone tried the particles would probably escape at a high rate, like a balloon deflating, and destroy our galaxy, possibly our Universe.

We do know that they can be controlled, so if Arcturus were to be tried again, instead of directing the particles into a random spot in another Universe, they could divert them into a massive black hole. The particles seem to obey gravity and can be controlled by energy. What better holding cell than a black hole? If they could create an artifical black hole in a ZPM then they could simply dump them into that. But odds are they cannot as ZPMs are made with the idea that the forces will be pushing out, not pulling in.

But thats just my 2 pennys

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                              When you get hit by the vortex your body gets disintegrated and converted to energy that is then just dispersed in the wormhole and gate.

same with teal'c. his energy signature was stored in the gates buffer. Like a capacitor holding a charge. The only time he would be "erased" would be if someone dialed INTO sgc. And then he wouldn't be "erased", his energy signature would be absorbed by the gate and dispersed throughout the vortex, thus making him power for the gate to work.

As the exotic particles are exotic, they may not obey all the laws of physics/thrmodynamics that we know today. A culling beam could have an adverse effect on them, like fission. ZPMs do not have "universes" inside them, they are artifical pockets of subspace that deplete over time. Energy can only go one way in ZPMs, for now. Dumping those particles into a ZPM wouldn't do any good as we have seen that they travel through evrything they come in contact with. Even if you could do it, what would you do when you filled the ZPM? You would have the MOST DESTRUCTIVE weapon in ANY universe. You couldn't use it for an energy source and if anyone tried the particles would probably escape at a high rate, like a balloon deflating, and destroy our galaxy, possibly our Universe.

We do know that they can be controlled, so if Arcturus were to be tried again, instead of directing the particles into a random spot in another Universe, they could divert them into a massive black hole. The particles seem to obey gravity and can be controlled by energy. What better holding cell than a black hole? If they could create an artifical black hole in a ZPM then they could simply dump them into that. But odds are they cannot as ZPMs are made with the idea that the forces will be pushing out, not pulling in.

But thats just my 2 pennys
                              my only question is why didn't Rodney already come up with that idea? Maybe TPTB aren't ready to give us a halfway decent power source yet...
                              Check out my Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X