PDA

View Full Version : Does Atlantis have ring technology?

Ehecatl
January 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
We have not seen the use of the ancient ring technology in Atlantis; shouldn't Atlantis possess rings. After all there were rings at the ancient outpost in Antarctica.

Maybe the Daedalus should try to lock with its rings at Atlantis and see what happens.

kirmit
January 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=32564&highlight=rings+in+Atlantis :)

Cban
January 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
no but it does have beaming tech

Dalario
January 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm guess that if you lock on atlantis with the rings you will appear in one of the elevator things....

kefke20
January 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
elevator/transport chamers are basd on ring tech ore the way arnound i think

TheNarims
January 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I suppose that Atlantis does not have rings because this transport chambers Atlantis has are maybe an improved version of the ring technology.

Metonic
January 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
it has rings... Their just inoperable, unusuable, unfindable... well alright it might not have rings... but it has the tech.

Gen_J_O'Neill
January 5th, 2007, 04:13 AM
As many have said, the transporter rooms are a form of rings. They use the same sort of technology, just more advanced. It would be interesting to see if the daedalus could use its rings to transport something into one of the transporter rooms!

I wonder if this is where the asgard got their beaming tech from. The ancients could have shared it with them and then left for Pegasus. Then the asgard had thousands of years to develop it further into ehat we see today.

Kingomon
January 5th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I think they ditched the rings after all:
The Alanteans(Ancients/Alterans) Beamed themself into Atlantis when they came back home

Adamus
January 5th, 2007, 05:28 AM
the Lanteans where on the Daedalus which has the asgard beaming tech cos the Lantean ships hyper drive is broke so they went on the Daedalus and maybe the rings where for outposts and outside instead of a box and then Goa'uld just used the outdoor ones as the basis for all their ring technology

Kingomon
January 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM
the Lanteans where on the Daedalus which has the asgard beaming tech cos the Lantean ships hyper drive is broke so they went on the Daedalus and maybe the rings where for outposts and outside instead of a box and then Goa'uld just used the outdoor ones as the basis for all their ring technology I thought that they brought it with them in hyperspace but I guess it's not possible.

ACharmedAsgard
January 5th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I wonder if this is where the asgard got their beaming tech from. The ancients could have shared it with them and then left for Pegasus. Then the asgard had thousands of years to develop it further into ehat we see today.

The Asgard created the Beaming technology by themselves. The Asgard can create an advanced technology by themselves, they don't need the Ancients for everything

ARMS
January 5th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Likely, why use rings when you can beam anyway?

ACharmedAsgard
January 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
They probably inergrated the ring technology into the construction of Atlantis so that inside the shafts their are panels which would usually be rings that then beam people up and down the city.

Ehecatl
January 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
then why did the antarctic outpost even have rings? Didn't the outpost use to lay under atlantis? (rising part 1)

ACharmedAsgard
January 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM
then why did the antarctic outpost even have rings? Didn't the outpost use to lay under atlantis? (rising part 1)

No, it wasn't under Atlantis it was in the space between Atlantis's arms

http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=5p8Rqi7QReM&eurl=http%3A//www.tv-links.co.uk/Stargate%2520Atlantis_links.html&iurl=http%3A//sjc-static4.sjc.youtube.com/vi/5p8Rqi7QReM/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskKHgM1wOUpKwo2zNHT3ATs_

Watch for yourself.

.jolinar.
January 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Technically it was under Atlantis but you're both right. as the outpost is kind of a dome shape and theres a space on the bottom of Atlantis that shape its Evident that Atlantis uses it like a landing pad when they're there. Kind of like how Hat'tak use Pyrimid's as landing pads. Also similar to the fact that the Ancients stayed at the outpost while Atlantis wasnt there is that the Goa'uld use pyrimids (The type that come out of the ground "Thors Chariot") While their Hat'tak is away.

ACharmedAsgard
January 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Technically it was under Atlantis but you're both right. as the outpost is kind of a dome shape and theres a space on the bottom of Atlantis that shape its Evident that Atlantis uses it like a landing pad when they're there. Kind of like how Hat'tak use Pyrimid's as landing pads. Also similar to the fact that the Ancients stayed at the outpost while Atlantis wasnt there is that the Goa'uld use pyrimids (The type that come out of the ground "Thors Chariot") While their Hat'tak is away.

Over the years the 10 - 5 million years since Atlantis left, snow has gone over the outpost, but if you watch the clip I posted earlier, you can see that the chair room of the outpost is actually a tower that was once inside one the spaces between Atlantis's piers

TheBigFlush
January 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
When exactly was it established that the ancients built the rings too? I know they mentioned once that ring technology was based on / similar to gate technology, but the first time I can remember anyone actually saying that the ancients built the rings was in Lost City, where it was really just a convenient plot device.

Dutch_Razor
January 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I seriously hope we ditched the rings they pose a huge security leak, we saw what happned with the Ori ships, Atlantis' shield could have the same error.

Dalario
January 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I seriously hope we ditched the rings they pose a huge security leak, we saw what happned with the Ori ships, Atlantis' shield could have the same error.

Maybe atlantis have the deactivation thing the ori are using...

kefke20
January 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM
The Alanteans(Ancients/Alterans) Beamed themself into Atlantis when they came back home

no the deadly did.

Dutch_Razor
January 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Maybe atlantis have the deactivation thing the ori are using...

They could still beam a boarding party onboard..

ACharmedAsgard
January 6th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I think that the lift shafts hold an advanced form of ring technology.

.jolinar.
January 11th, 2007, 02:31 AM
its like ring technology because you can only go to and from designated areas (the elevator type rooms) but it's like beaming technology because there are no rings. We know the Ancients had beaming tech because thats how merlins treasure and the long-range Ancient/Ori comms device was found.

Nile
January 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I would like to see someday the Ancients building a Stargate with Sam and McKay... ;)

Mio
January 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM
When exactly was it established that the ancients built the rings too? I know they mentioned once that ring technology was based on / similar to gate technology, but the first time I can remember anyone actually saying that the ancients built the rings was in Lost City, where it was really just a convenient plot device.

From The Lost City:

CARTER
Colonel, how are we gonna get down there?
TEAL'C
(looking down and seeing little trace of the modification)
The rings.
DANIEL
Makes sense. The Ancients built the Stargate so there must be a set of rings to get us down there somewhere.

From Avalon:
Vala: "The Ancients were the gate builders right? And they invented the rings too..."

TheBigFlush
January 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
From The Lost City:

CARTER
Colonel, how are we gonna get down there?
TEAL'C
(looking down and seeing little trace of the modification)
The rings.
DANIEL
Makes sense. The Ancients built the Stargate so there must be a set of rings to get us down there somewhere.

From Avalon:
Vala: "The Ancients were the gate builders right? And they invented the rings too..."

Yeah exactly, they just sort of threw that in there because it was convenient at the time. It's like a backwards plot hole.

.jolinar.
January 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Well the ancients invented the rings then the Ori took them when nthey ran off then the Goa'uld must have found a set the ancients left behind.

ACharmedAsgard
January 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Well the ancients invented the rings then the Ori took them when nthey ran off then the Goa'uld must have found a set the ancients left behind.

I agree

padr49904
January 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM
well in the rising atlantis was millions of years old from the point that it is now so they probebly had ring tech at first then over the years they developed the transporter and the rings became obsolete to them. They never really made any in the mw cause they all spread otu after the war and they didnt really build anything after that.

.jolinar.
January 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM

The daedalus beamed them down accaully. theres a slight diffrence in the appearance of Alteran Beaming Tech and Asgard Beaming tech. The Alteran beam its self seems slightly darker and duller. I think either the Deadalus towed the Tria through Hyperspace (We've seen Thor do this with his O'Neill class vessel) or they beamed up the hundred or so Alterans and left the Tria where it was.

.jolinar.
January 19th, 2007, 06:56 AM

The daedalus beamed them down accaully. theres a slight diffrence in the appearance of Alteran Beaming Tech and Asgard Beaming tech. The Alteran beam its self seems slightly darker and duller. I think either the Deadalus towed the Tria through Hyperspace (We've seen Thor do this with his O'Neill class vessel) or they beamed up the hundred or so Alterans and left the Tria where it was.

talyn2k1
January 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM
well in the rising atlantis was millions of years old from the point that it is now so they probebly had ring tech at first then over the years they developed the transporter and the rings became obsolete to them. They never really made any in the mw cause they all spread otu after the war and they didnt really build anything after that.

The rings and the transport chambers are basically the same technology, its just that they look different.
The Ancient transporters required some sort of physical container to send and receive the matter stream, such as rings or the chambers.

The Asgard have had 10000 years to improve on the technology so they no longer require the 'container'.

It makes sense to use the rings on planets as they don`t require as much room as transporter chambers and are easier to deploy and hide. Rings are just a better choice than the chambers in some places.

Puddle-Jumper
January 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah the ring closets can take matter streams from rings like the antartica out post could and they are very similar tech

Artheval_Pe
January 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
If there's no rings on Atlantis, the next question is : What did ancients use to transport people between Spaceships in orbit and Atlantis ?

When you are saying that the transport chambers are similar, your are right. But, despite the fact that transport chambers and rings use the same technology, I don't think they can work together. Just for a simple reason : There's not enough room in a transport chamber to rematerialise a matter stream coming from a ring platform.

Maybe there are transport chambers onboard Ancients space ships that can work with the ones on Atlantis. But, if one day we see rings on an Ancient spaceship in Pegasus, it would become almost sure that there would be rings on Atlantis.

PS : I'm not very confident in my English, so if I am butchering your language, please tell me. ;)

wilson359
January 20th, 2007, 05:47 AM
To bad we couldn't reverse engineer the transport chambers & install them on the 304's. They don't require huge amounts of power eg ZPM. They shouldn't connect the system to the main reactor incase of failure, you wouldn't want to loss crew members while in the matter stream.

The chambers could be located in key areas of the ship eg bridge, engineering, infirmary, hanger deck.

ACharmedAsgard
January 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
To bad we couldn't reverse engineer the transport chambers & install them on the 304's. They don't require huge amounts of power eg ZPM. They shouldn't connect the system to the main reactor incase of failure, you wouldn't want to loss crew members while in the matter stream.

The chambers could be located in key areas of the ship eg bridge, engineering, infirmary, hanger deck.
I think all the deady crew need do is adapt the Asgard beaming tech to do intership transportation rather then finding ancient chamber technology

inevaexisted
January 21st, 2007, 02:04 AM
I think that Atlantis has ring technology however since destinations are fixed (specific parts of the city..not just anywhere in or out of the city) the need for the 'rings' is gone.
The purpose for the rings was to 'clear' the way for the incoming matter stream. As a recall anything that got in the way of the rings was destroyed(sliced through like a knife through butter might be a better way of putting it). In the case of the teleportation rooms/chambers, the space that is teleported is in a closed environment hence as i have said earlier makes the 'rings' redundant.

wise one
January 21st, 2007, 02:49 AM
well the ancients did improve their stargate in the pegasus galaxy, so they must of improved on other tech like rings

the rings in the milkyway can only transport things back and forth to one location, or it can be intercepted, whereas atlantis you can pick an area and ring to it.

i would say thats an improvement

talyn2k1
January 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM
If there's no rings on Atlantis, the next question is : What did ancients use to transport people between Spaceships in orbit and Atlantis ?

When you are saying that the transport chambers are similar, your are right. But, despite the fact that transport chambers and rings use the same technology, I don't think they can work together. Just for a simple reason : There's not enough room in a transport chamber to rematerialise a matter stream coming from a ring platform.

Maybe there are transport chambers onboard Ancients space ships that can work with the ones on Atlantis. But, if one day we see rings on an Ancient spaceship in Pegasus, it would become almost sure that there would be rings on Atlantis.

PS : I'm not very confident in my English, so if I am butchering your language, please tell me. ;)

This debate has happened with the different size Stargates aswell. My thinking is that the two systems would be compatible. They may require a little modification first but they would work together.
It would probably just be a case of if the matter stream coming from the rings is too large to be materialized in the closet either the connection will be refused or it will be rerouted to the nearest suitable locations (such as a larger transport chamber or another pair of rings)

Selin Peers
January 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM
If Atlantis has a set of Rings, it's probably within the Outpost Module that replaced the original Outpost that was deposited and left on Earth. The same one discovered in Antartica. (When Atlantis departs Earth in 'Rising' the vertical tower that extends from the Ventral of the City Ship is absent. However, all the diagrams in Atlantis depict one. I know it's been discussed before. Anyway.) If it's anywhere. It's there.

One thing that no one has discussed or pointed out yet are the uses of either technology (Rings vs Transport Chambers). But lets compare. Rings were not used in large groups or collections there of. Rings are typically used for ship-to-ship or ship-to-planet transmission. The Chamber Transporters in Atlantis are used to travel within the complex/facility/city. Basically to get from one end of the city to the other.

Staying in line with the general use of these different incarnations of the same basic technology, we can presume that Atlantis has only ONE set of rings, if it has them, which I don't doubt. Now, thus far in Pegasus, we haven't seen any rings. ANYWHERE! So, why is that?

It could be that the Ancients discontinued their use of the Rings for a few reasons. We know that Rings are all over the Milkyway, but not Pegasus. Why? I can only assume that it was a lesson learned as a result of the plague in the Milkyway. Seriously! The Plague had to still be a major concern for the Ancients in Pegasus, even though it was effectively quarintined in the Milkyway.

We know it was primarily spread among the Ancients and Inhabitants of the Milkyway via Stargate. It's easy to assume the Ancients could lockdown specific gates and even the entire network to contain outbreaks. (We've seen that Atlantis itself can lockout incomming worholes. Yet dial out. A very selective ability. And we know that the gate network in the Milkyway is interconnected and can be brought down by a computer virus. But surely the Ancients had better means if they so wished.) But if the Planet had a ring transporter, which isn't necessarily accessible on a galactic network and an indiginous people are spacefaring it's all the easier for infected individuals to jump to ships and spread it further. Yes, I know, it doesn't account for ships landing. But it is another level of control in the event of an outbreak. So the Ancients just weren't disceminating technology as liberally as they used to.

It's also possible as suggested previously that the technology wasn't as secure as the Ancients would have liked in wartime conditions. They knew that the Ori and Wraith could use it. So they disengaged and/or disassembled all the ring platforms that they could as it became apparent that the Wraith were a threat and could potentially use them against the Ancients and the inhabitants of Pegasus. As it stands, there has yet to be anything in Pegasus to use the Rings. Therefore we haven't seen them used yet.

Or its entirely possible that the Rings were phased out in favor of the Transport Chambers.

Of an interesting note, no one has pointed out that the Ancients specifically weren't the ones to develope the rings or stargates. But the original society of the Alterans that are now the Ori. We've seen Rings in the Ori homegalaxy (BTW, I like their rings alot! The Ceramic appearence is cool. I really want to see the Ori-Stargates), and we also know the Ori have Stargates to get to the Milkyway, ect. Al-tera translates as to The Others in Latin, I believe. I wonder what the people the Ancients and the Ori originated from were refered to as.

Anyways, that's my peice! :)