This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumper & F-302 Weight

Hey people. I was just wondering if anybody had any idea about the weight of the puddle jumper or the F-302. Any help or links would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Fat.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
      Hey people. I was just wondering if anybody had any idea about the weight of the puddle jumper or the F-302. Any help or links would be appreciated. Thankyou.
      why would any1 want to know the weight.
      u'r not tring to build 1 r u????

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

The F302 are probably about the weight of any fighter plane it's size or maybe a bit heavier but don't the inertial dampeners reduce the weight of the ship? I have no idea where i heard that but it was nagging me in the back of my head...

BTW why do you need to know?

Comment

a jumper, probably about 3-4 tons.

a f-302 6-8 depending on payload!

guesstimate!

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
          pps = power per second
          The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
          xfire = zpm
          [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
          http://m2kclan.com
          vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
          port: 3785
          P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
          halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
          Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Originally posted by Inty View Post
            The F302 are probably about the weight of any fighter plane it's size or maybe a bit heavier but don't the inertial dampeners reduce the weight of the ship? I have no idea where i heard that but it was nagging me in the back of my head...

No, the inertial dampners allow the pilot and passengers to fly the aircraft them at the speeds because at the speeds they fly at would kill them. It wouldn't affect the weight of the ship.

IMO, I think the PJ weighs more than the F302 because of the extra room for passengers. But ZPM!! maybe the F302 may weigh more when carrying muntions.

: Green is Good.
            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Boron.

Comment

It's not the weight that matters, but the mass. Weight is a product of gravity, which means that the weight would be different on different planets that have different gravities. In space, there is no gravity, so nothing has weight.

As for the respective masses, it would depend on the materiels the two are made of. The 302 is made mostly of trinium, which is much lighter (in terms of mass) than the materiels used to make modern aircraft, so it's mass would be far less than one of those fighters. It is also much smaller in size than most fighters, because it has no tail section at all.

The puddle jumper we can't guess, because we don't know what it's made of, though I'd guess it's mass is slightly higher than the 302.

In some sci fi universes, inertial dampeners work by reducing the mass of an object, thus reducing the effect acceleration momentum on the object, and more importantly any passengers inside. This also has the advantage of makeing the object eisier to move in space, reducing fuel consumption and increasing acceleration and maneuverability. As far as I know, this is the only explenation any sci fi story has ever given for how ID's work, most just name them, then ignore the details.

In stargate, it has never been said how inertial dampners work, it could be the reason given above, or something else, we just don't know.

Comment

unless the PJ is made of some highly dense metal alloys (which dont seem likely, a primitive bomb downed it, and glider fire left damn huge gashes in the hull) it should be much lighter then a 302. the PJ is mostly empty space, im not saying id let it land on my foot but the volume of the 302 and the PJ definately looks in the PJ's favor.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

The 302s are actually still pretty large, though, yeah, they don't seem as big as most modern fighters. It's really hard to say, though, for sure. Now if you want to compare it to a modern fighter, something like an F-16 or F-18 is in the neighborhood of 20,000-25,000 lbs empty. Fuel is typically another 8000-10000 lbs. Unless they have replaced the chemical engines with something else, say ion propulsion learned from the Hebredians, that is mass they aren't going to be able to really eliminate. Weapons would typically add a few thousand more lbs of weight. I would give a lowball for an F302 with a full load of fuel and combat armament to be in the vicinity of 25,000-30,000 lbs probably.

Comment

I was pretty sure that in StarGate the Inertial dampeners did reduce the overall Mass but to be honest I cant remember seeing that in any episode so I'm not too sure.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

with 4 amrrams ides say it weigh over 8000 lbs or 4000 kilos

Comment

It reduces the weight. Check out 6x01 and 6x02 (Redemption Parts 1 and 2).

Comment

I'm pretty sure that it reduces the inertial mass more than the rest mass. Although I will admit that the differences between the two are fuzzy and the episode you mentioned doesn't really make it clear.

Comment

In The Storm/Eye episode
                              Becket reaches for a dial and turns it in the PJ
                              Ford Immediatley asks what he is doin and Beckett
                              reponds im using the inertial dampners to increase the weight
                              (so the heavy winds didnt turn them into a kite of sorts).
                              So Inertial dampners do alter weight it would seem

and with the dampners off id say a few tons same as ZPM!! said

Comment

Working...
                              X