Annoyences In Superman History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoyences In Superman History

The thing that really bugged me about the whole Superman history (Smallville, Lois And Clark, etc) is the low level of continunity between them. I know WB say that 'Smallville' isnt considered completely canon but we all know where its leading up to.

Differences:
    Movies:
    C.Ks dad is dead through out all of them
    Didnt meet Lois until he was in Metropolis
    C.Ks Earth parents are old

Smallville:
    C.Ks dad is alive although with health problems
    His parents are middle aged and not dressing like characters from 'The Waltons'
    C.K met Lois
    Small mobile phones
    Computers like what we use today
    Not set in the early 90s like the movies were
    Endless list...

Lois And Clark:
    C.Ks dad is alive with apparently no health problems
    (Hated Lois And Clark by the way)

The list is endless.

What things have annoyed you through out the Superman history?
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Each tells the story a little differently for new generations. I think this is a good thing so long as the core stays the same.
    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

- The thing with CK's dad has to do with Crisis of Infinite Worlds in the comics. Before Crisis his died, which the movies were based off of. After Crisis, his dad lived and is alive in the comics today.

Other than that I got nothing, whatever makes likable for the fans. That is all I can think off.

: Green is Good.
      sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

I agree there are so many stories out there its confusing, but I'm reading on Wikipedia about The Martian Manhunter, wow the stories are amazing.

Like the stories about the The Guardians Of The Universe, the first intelligant life forms apparently who created created evil or darkness!!

Nice! Although its got nothin to do with what you guys are talking about!!
        Last edited by The Ori; 31 December 2006, 08:02 AM.
        I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
          Each tells the story a little differently for new generations. I think this is a good thing so long as the core stays the same.
          Same for Spiderman
          Originally posted by G.B Shaw
          Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
          Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
          Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
          You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
          Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
          One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
          You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
          The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
          www.7-scales.co.uk
          http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Originally posted by ARMS View Post
            Same for Spiderman
            And every other comic series out there, almost. XD

Comment

Lois And Clark:
              C.Ks dad is alive with apparently no health problems
              (Hated Lois And Clark by the way)
              Loved Lois and Clark the series......
              Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

It is about every 10 to 15 years that comic writers update the Origin stories for comic book heroes, to keep them up with the times. So there are lot of stories out there for Superman.

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Yeh I don't understand is Jonthan Kent supposed to be dead.

But I guess that TPTB have every right to change story line a bit!!
                  I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Also, In one of the movies, C.K has the ability to erase minds simply by kissing someone. If thats the case, then in Smallville, Lana would not remember anything and esentially represent someone suffering from mental problems.
                    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                      Also, In one of the movies, C.K has the ability to erase minds simply by kissing someone. If thats the case, then in Smallville, Lana would not remember anything and esentially represent someone suffering from mental problems.
                      That might explain why she is now seeing Lex Luthor.

But as for Superman's powers, they change like the wind in every new comic, movie or TV show. When he first started, Superman could not fly only jump really high. Later in the 80's, Superman's had the power to move planets like regular people moves a block of wood. He also had a strange 80's haircut, which is odd for a timeless character seeing how a lot of comic book characters rarely change there hair.

Superman has a history of having some of the most varied powers in any comic book, look at Superman II, all because he was simply to powerful. So it not to hard to see why the new versions of Superman all have different back stories. They can't even decide on what powers he is meant to have.
                      http://panzor.deviantart.com/ - deviantART: panzor

Comment

The biggest problem is making everything canon. Anything you see in any series, or the movies is by default not canon. I don't think anyone could possibly create a single series of events which connects all 5 movies, plus the three TV series (SV, L&C and Superboy), and the animated series along with JLU.

Because of this, I have no real trouble if they base their work on the comic but change the basis of the series as it's not canon anyway. It's when they change the comic that I find annoying. It's supposed to be the definitive version, but with Earth One, Earth Two, Earth Prime, Infinite Crisis, Post Crisis, Pre-Crisis, Golden Age, Silver Age, New Supermen, new Superboys and god knows what else, you think they'd want to create a single true definitive superman but nah. If the comics can't even sort themselves out, what hope do you think the live action versions have?

Superman II was just a bad example of terrible rewrites. I seem to remember at least three new powers, A: kissing to cause memory loss. B: Superman and Zod being able to shoot white laser beams from their palms. C: Superman being able to send a grown piece of plastic from his logo to completely capture a person like a net, and lets not forget Superman Blue

sigpic

Comment

I treat is as I do the X-Men movies. Or Spiderman Movies. Or Batman Movies . They all have a long history. To make EVERYTHING canon would be the biggest headach which I woudn't wish on anyone!
                          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                            Superman II was just a bad example of terrible rewrites. I seem to remember at least three new powers, A: kissing to cause memory loss. B: Superman and Zod being able to shoot white laser beams from their palms. C: Superman being able to send a grown piece of plastic from his logo to completely capture a person like a net, and lets not forget Superman Blue
                            I must not have seen that movie in a long time because I don't remember any of that stuff, except the memory erasing, which I figure was some Kryptonian technology and not an inherent superpower.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                              I must not have seen that movie in a long time because I don't remember any of that stuff, except the memory erasing, which I figure was some Kryptonian technology and not an inherent superpower.
                              The kiss was never explained. He just did it, and she forgot, as if it's some sort of ability. It was pretty much just a cheap way to get around Richard Donner's idea of having him reverse time (which itself was just a cheap way to do it as it was done at the end of SM1 as well).

Here is the wrap, which Superman "pulls" from his logo.

Here is the beam which can be shot from their hands.

In this scene, it seems like the same hand beam was used after they used their lasers to heat up the weapon, which gives them some sort of telekenesis. Using both scenes, it seems like the Kryptonians can use this beam to push things or pull things

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X