This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when you're 'in transit'?

I read "I, Robot" recently, and in the "Escape!" story, a concept I hadn't thought of had to be dealt with by "The Brain". "The Brain" had to make an engine for hyperspace jump so the humans can travel around. The emphasis on the 'First Law of Robotics' was lessened for the calculations and creation of the engine.

There's more to it, but the deal was that to complete a hyperspace jump, humans temporarily cease to exist.

So is that explained in the SG world? Do humans 'die' (temporarily) while moving from gate to gate?

Also, can the gates be used sorta like the two chambers in "The Fly"? But instead of remolecularizing a fly and human together, can a person operate the controls to separate parts of the distinct object? If possible, then a person can have a tumor removed, just by being able to separate it out as a "distinct" object, right? Just curious, because if a person were in limbo between the gates for at most, say, 38 minutes, and if the technology could isolate and display on a screen distinct objects, then some medical applications could be used with gates. Just a thought...

SGA fans' ages poll

It seems that there's no known way to detect the nature of an incoming traveller, let alone filter his (or her) 'pattern'. It's just way too much information even for the Ancient tech to deal with. The Gates automatically reconstitute the traveller, but the fact that the buffers are scrubbed each time the Gate is opened suggests it doesn't have the spare memory for tinkering.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

since you are de-moleculerized you don't die, because you don't exist as a human anymore.

And an Asgard transporter could be able to deal with tumors and such stuff.

Comment

what type of death?

1)If the gate takes you apart sends your atoms through a wormhole and puts you together again then you do not 'die'.

2)If the gate takes you apart converts you to energy and sends you through a wormhole and reconverts you to matter and then puts you together again then you do 'die'.

matter to matter you do not die
        matter to energy to matter you do die
        "Khattam-Shud," he said slowly, "is the Arch-Enemy
        of all Stories, even of Language itself. He is the Prince of
        Silence and the Foe of Speech. And because everything ends,
        because dreams end, stories end, life ends, at the finish
        of everything we use his name. 'It's finished,' we tell one
        another, 'it's over. Khattam-Shud: The End.'"

-excerpted from Haroun and the Sea of Stories,

Comment

Yes, you cease to be. your particles are taken apart and turned into energy. I think I'd call that dieing.

Comment

The gate's computer has internal buffer to store the molecule makeup, it is probably very generic (don't differentiate between lifeform or non-lifeform). I think the Ancients can probably write a filter tailored with a specific organism in mind, but it would be inefficient. Going through wormhole is a very rough process, they want to simply the process. The less step the smaller chance something will go wrong. When you're in travelling, it's like putting a person in statis. You don't really get old or die because time is suspended so to speak.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

So if you 'die' when you pass through a Stargate, should each SG-1/Buffy crossover result in a new Slayer?

Comment

If the technology was advanced enough, I think that it would be a weird deal to undergo some medical procedure where you're needing something removed or cleaned from you on one planet, and then you step through to another planet all healthy. Adds a new meaning to "out"patient care!

Also, for my first question, if you're demolecularized for a little bit, you'd cease to exist, so doesn't that mean you 'died'? All of the molecules separately aren't alive, are they? That would be weird to experience, imo. But I guess you wouldn't really have a way to record what happened when you were demolecularized, so you wouldn't experience a thing, huh?

Like for 30-some minutes, the pilot and co-pilot in the front of the PJ wouldn't have a consciousness to know what happened, right?

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

yeah thats right.
                  Also if you could program the gate somehow it would be possible to create copies of people if you just feed it energy. Just think of an army of teal'q's.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewbert
                    yeah thats right.
                    Also if you could program the gate somehow it would be possible to create copies of people if you just feed it energy. Just think of an army of teal'q's.
                    Whoa!
                    Originally posted by donnie_darko
                    what type of death?

1)If the gate takes you apart sends your atoms through a wormhole and puts you together again then you do not 'die'.

2)If the gate takes you apart converts you to energy and sends you through a wormhole and reconverts you to matter and then puts you together again then you do 'die'.

matter to matter you do not die
                    matter to energy to matter you do die
                    If there's any 'truth' to the information at this Stargate 'facts' link that I just found, then I guess a person would die:
                    Travelling through the Stargate utilises a matter to energy conversion technique not unlike a transporter from Star Trek. The traveller is demolecularized by the Gate and sent through the Stargate as energy, then reconstituted at the other side *.
                    So people die temporarily- wild!

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

Originally posted by Z_2
                      Whoa!

If there's any 'truth' to the information at this Stargate 'facts' link that I just found, then I guess a person would die:
                      So people die temporarily- wild!
                      I'm not that great at all this tech stuff, but I know I read something on this topic a while back. The way I see it, when a person is converted from matter into energy, an energy "copy" of them is made and then the original body is destroyed. This "copy" or "pattern" is then transmitted to another stargate whereby a completely NEW body is made from the template. In other words, a "clone" is created (with the original being destroyed).

I know this sounds a bit weird, but it backs up the "dying" theory somewhat. Thinking about it, to a casual observer, anyone walking through the gate would be identical before and after transit (and as far as the gate traveller is concerned themselves upon exiting the Stargate, they are alive, well and fine). However, the "original" traveller to step into the Stargate will essentially be killed, so that particular conciousness exists no more - although an exact replica now carries on the memories and such.

You get me at all?

Liken it to someone killing you, and replacing you with an identical clone. To everyone else there doesn't appear to be any difference, but I certainly wouldn't want to test the theory out!

Andrew (I'm weird, and I think about things too much).

Comment

Come on... they don't really die... they're just demolecularized, in another dimension, etc... To actually die would be for who that person is, their soul, to actually leave their body. That doesn't happen. They're just in a "limbo/twilight zone" for a few seconds, virtually unconcious of everything during travel. Also the ascended Ancient are energy-something, and they're not dead. I don't have a better word for it right now, call it whatever else you want, but it's definitely not dying.
                        There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

I suppose the real question is 'what is death?'. Cessation of life signs during Gate travel is for far less than a minute, even at full stretch movie transit effects; is that death? Does death relate to a physical body at all, or to the passage of some manner of spirit or immortal soul?

It's all so metaphysical.

Comment

They don't die unless their soul leaves their body. The body is still there during gate travel, it's just in a strange transition state for a few seconds. If they hit the iris, and their body is destroyed, THEN they die.
                            There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Who said there is a soul at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X