This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intergalactic gate network and midway station flawed

According to the expanding universe model (which stargate accepts as true), all bodies in the universe are constantly moving, closer or apart at tremendous speeds, including galaxies, therefore the gate network set up by McKay would become useless in a very short space of time!
    Originally posted by G.B Shaw
    Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
    Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
    Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
    You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
    Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
    One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
    You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
    www.7-scales.co.uk
    http://twitter.com/7Scales

they could have just added a couple of extra gates which would compensate for it.

Comment

Or maybe they know about it and will move them each year/month

Comment

As i understand it corrlative updates aprise all stargates in a network of the location of other stargates in order to take into account planetery drift, so both the milkyway and peguses networks will be taking into account any change in postions of all gates in the network while they keep the same address so there should be no problem in either locating the gates in the chain including the middway gate in that network.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
        O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

Not useless at all. The stargates, even operating under their own normal power, can still dial other gates thousands of light years away. They have TONS of gates in that network, so it would make sense that they put them close enough to compsensate for something like stellar drift.
          www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Even if they did, then I am sure, that the thrusters on the gates compensate for drift, and are constantly being monitored. Everything should be taken care of, McKay and Carter are smart enough that they would have made sure that was accounted, at least I would imagine.

: Green is Good.
            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
              Even if they did, then I am sure, that the thrusters on the gates compensate for drift, and are constantly being monitored. Everything should be taken care of, McKay and Carter are smart enough that they would have made sure that was accounted, at least I would imagine.
              Lets hope so, although McKay working with Carter, McKay does tend to drool

Maybe he hasnt been paying attention

Comment

I think you are all grossly underestimating the speed of galaxies, by the time the network is set up it'd already be useless!

The drift between planets is dwarfed by the drift between stars, which in theory could be compensated for by means explained, but the drift between stars is dwarfed by the drift between galaxies, which are so far apart and moving so fast that there is no way this would work! I mean stars all stick to the same area, their galaxy, but galaxies are very different (with the exception of smaller orbiting galaxies, which the Pegasus is not!).
                Originally posted by G.B Shaw
                Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
                Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
                You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
                Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
                One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
                You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
                The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
                www.7-scales.co.uk
                http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Originally posted by ARMS View Post
                  I think you are all grossly underestimating the speed of galaxies, by the time the network is set up it'd already be useless!

The drift between planets is dwarfed by the drift between stars, which in theory could be compensated for by means explained, but the drift between stars is dwarfed by the drift between galaxies, which are so far apart and moving so fast that there is no way this would work! I mean stars all stick to the same area, their galaxy, but galaxies are very different (with the exception of smaller orbiting galaxies, which the Pegasus is not!).
                  Well I dont think it matters that much as McKay and Carter will get it working no probs, plus it would make the show pretty borin if it could never happen, I mean come on, its Stargate, anythings possible

Comment

According to the expanding universe model (which stargate accepts as true), all bodies in the universe are constantly moving, closer or apart at tremendous speeds, including galaxies, therefore the gate network set up by McKay would become useless in a very short space of time!
                    You also forgot that the Ancients did this thing called calculations to compensate for stellar drift and I would assume galactic drift, and built these programs into the StarGate network.

Please define "short time" because 3million years has passed since the Pegasus galaxy was in that area of the sky we see now. It could be anywhere at this time! :-P
                    http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General View Post
                      You also forgot that the Ancients did this thing called calculations to compensate for stellar drift and I would assume galactic drift, and built these programs into the StarGate network.

Please define "short time" because 3million years has passed since the Pegasus galaxy was in that area of the sky we see now. It could be anywhere at this time! :-P
                      Thats a good point, they must have compensated for galactic drift, etc. otherwise the Atlantis gate could not dial Earth and vice versa

Comment

Wouldn't they move at a steady speed? Then you forget there is no friction into space, all you have to do is calculate the direction and speed, match the gates to that, and let em fly.

Comment

The theory of the the ever expanding universe I think is not proven yet.

Andromeda galaxy is the closest galaxy to the milky way. The Andromeda galaxy is about two million light years (20 billion billion kilometers) away, Current measurements suggest that, in about three billion years, the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies may collide in 1 billion years own solar system is 4.6 billion years old. We have only been on this planet for over 100,000 years.

I said that so I could say this the galaxies wont have any measurable effect on the intergalactic gate bridge. It will take hundreds of thousands of the year to have any effect on the bridge in our life times or in any other generation for thousands of years.
                          Last edited by boberth2o; 28 December 2006, 06:52 PM.
                          sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Perhaps the midway station monitors the stellar drift, changing addresses accordingly. The computer necessary for these calculations may account for a lot of the station's mass.
                            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                            Caboose: They could be worse?
                            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Where are you getting your information on this? Galaxies do not move so fast that a device capable of transportation over millions of light years would be made useless in a mere matter of months.

If Galaxies moved that fast than there would be some pretty odd relativistic effects, don't you think?
                              www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Working...
                              X