This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark or Light Sheppard

To me there is two sides to Sheppard there is this lighter side which we see the most of.

Where he doesn't seem very serious and is being very laid back. He makes light of things and banters with Rodney. An causes anything that is ancient to light up like a christmas tree. Where I can imagine him skateboarding down corridors.

But then there is this other side that is much darker, which we don't see as much as the lighter side. Where he hangs from the rafters until the Genii walk in to his range and kills them. Where he takes out soliders with a knife and does it with no problem at all even after being fed on by a wraith. Where he has this dark look that just sends chills down your spine. Which you could really see in Conversion. Even if he was being affected by the retrovirus, I think that it just brought out his darker side more and increassed what was already there.

I love both sides to John. However if I had to make a choice between the two I would go with his darker side.
    What sides do like more to John and what do you think of his two different sides.
    This is what I do in my spare time hunting down fanfiction

And here you will find my werewolf

Here you will find my vampire

I definitely prefer dark Sheppard. Dark Sheppard is sexy. I like the darker episodes, anyway. The plots are better. With the exception of Duet, the light episodes tend to be campy which I don't like.

With dark Sheppard, you get more whumping which everyone loves. More Dark Shep!!!

Comment

I personally love both personalities. I think they make his character much more interesting.

If he was light and fluffy all the time, I would not respect him as a leader. He would not be dynamic enough for me. He enjoys his lazy times and likes to have fun. As co-leader of Atlantis he needs these times to keep him sane IMO. He does try to look on the bright side of things first and keep hope and faith in the people around him.

Then flip the coin to the dark side.

If he was this way all the time I would be bored by his character. I think he would come across as too intense and angry all the time. He needs that intensity at times to get his message across and do his job. If he was that way all the time, IMO he would be too one dimensional for me.

I love the dichotomy of the two personalities. You never really know how far he will go in a given situation. Will he fly off the handle and take charge or will he step back and see what happens? I think that the two combined also give him his trademark "We don't leave people behind!!" He wants his people to be safe and happy (light side all is well with the world) and his willing to do anything to make that happen (dark intensity).

JF does a marvelous job portraying all of this. You can see in his body language that he may be making a joke but he very ready to spring into action if needed. In Sateda

Spoiler:
      when he went to see Rodney about looking for Ronon, he made a joke about Rodney's Pain in the butt wound but you could see the intensity in his body language and his eyes about this is my team mate and my friend and we WILL get him back.

If he had been too light he would have let someone else handle it and bring him the solution instead of keeping on top of the search. If he had been too dark he would have been pacing, yelling, and making a nuisance of himself.

Kudos to JF for a great job making a great character!
      sigpic

Comment

Of course you can't have John being only just one sided. It his duality that makes his character so interesting. I love both sides to him he wouldn't be the same with out it. But if I had to chose one I would go with the darker side.

I just wish they have more times where he is darker. It just seems to me that they have more of his lighter side and don't really show much of his darker aspects.

Comment

I like the dark John, because Joe can act is so well, Of course, he is also good on the light and fluffy stuff, but it seems to me that he likes the darkness as well.

This is almost feeling like I'm talking about Star Wars. Wheee.

Anyway, yes, I like the dark John. Very cute, and hot. -giggles-
          I love Sparky. =)

Comment

Joe does play dark characters very well. Like in the CSI: Miami episode Slow Burn and in the Birds of Prey episode Prey for the Hunter.

Comment

I like the lighter side better
              sigpic
              Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
              Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
                I love the dichotomy of the two personalities. You never really know how far he will go in a given situation. Will he fly off the handle and take charge or will he step back and see what happens? I think that the two combined also give him his trademark "We don't leave people behind!!" He wants his people to be safe and happy (light side all is well with the world) and his willing to do anything to make that happen (dark intensity).
                I surely agree to you, Pocus.

Both sides are what make Sheppard the way he is - that goes for most of us people. As he said himself in 'Sateda'
                Spoiler:
                he'd do anything for them and their safety.
                He knows probably from his experience as a soldier that some even have to do darker things in order to keep the rest of the bunch happy.
                Take 'The Storm/The Eye' for example, when he killed 60 or so Genii by closing the shield on the Stargate. He knew he wouldn't stand a chance anymore to save the day or (what was probably more important) save Elizabeth and Rodney had he let the soldiers come through to reinforce Kolya's men. It was either them or him!
                I therefore asume, his darker side is more his way of sacreficing himself for the greater good and do what is by all means necessary, whether he likes to do so or not. After all, it was rather a desperate attempt not to go down entirely without a fight in 'The Storm/The Eye' when he killed all those soldiers (also the ones he shot).
                And note, he didn't kill Ladon Radim in the Control Room because he knew it wasn't necessary!

Most of the time he seems to be a nice fellow to have around. And I doubt his easy-going way indicates he doesn't have a strict and even hard sense to him (without being his dark side, right away) when it comes to the requirements of his job and his position as CO of Atlantis.
                And since he has admittedly problems with showing his emotions, his lighter side also provides a wonderful and most likely very welcomed way to hide his own fears, anxieties and worries.

I like him very much the way he is, thus I won't choose one side over the other.
                Nonetheless, TPTB may feel free to go a bit darker with the eps in general from time to time as they did with 'Common Ground' but not change the characters all too much.
                After all, it's the combination of light and dark that keeps the characters from becoming too one-dimensional.

Diversity rules!!!
                Twinchy---
                sigpic
                FanFic---------------------------------------------------Twinchy's Lair

Comment

I like both sides. The lighter side makes me smile - the banter with McKay, the funny one-liners, the teasing, the dry sense of humour he has. Dark Sheppard is scary and fascinating, but if he was dark all the time he'd be too serious. Darker is much more interesting though, and has produced more drama, which I like. So, I think Dark Sheppard with specs of light scattered along the way.
                  sigpic

Comment

You know, whenever I see the "dark side" of Sheppard being discussed, there's always references to his being military, as if that alone explained the "darker" aspects of his personality. But the Stargate universe is crawling with military characters, and so far I haven't come across any discussions of the dark sides of O'Neill or Teal'c, for instance, and those two are just as willing as Sheppard to do whatever it takes to protect their teammates / friends / earth, and, oh yes, there was that one episode where Jack closed the iris on this guy who was trying to follow them to earth... But what we get from Jack in such moments is not "darkness." Just a kind of focused intensity. At least, that's what I get. So whatever it is that causes the "darkness" in Sheppard, I don't think it's because he's military. I think it's a basic part of who he is, just as his lighter, goofier side is a basic part of him. And as others have said, I like that he's a complex multidimensional character, and it's part of the reason why I keep watching Atlantis.
                    Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                    Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                    -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

It was the darker side of Sheppard that first drew me to the character, as others have said Joe does portray that more intense side of Shep extremely well and I would definitely like to see more of this side of him explored and maybe a few hints to explain where the darkness in him comes from. What made him the way he is? The fact that this darker personality is combined with a lighthearted boyishness only adds to the enigma, I hope the writers will finally get around to fully realising the potential his complex nature generates.

Comment

I have to agree with Josie. When I first watched him in Rising I thought he was handsome *G* and seemed to be a good character, but as the episode unfolded and we caught a hint of the darker side of his personality, I really became intrigued. Then there was Storm/Eye and I was hooked. LOL

He has two very opposite sides to his personality, and its interesting to see both. (also interesting how efficient he is at "turning on and off" the dark, detached and almost ruthless side of him) Yet, covering that dark side is a rather light and relaxed personality that we see the most often. Its intriging that the character is able to keep both sides of his persona so distinctly seperate from each other. No real overlapping as when he's in his "light" side, there's nothing of the dark in it, and when he's dark there's no light, not even a snark.

I have to say I like both, but I find the dark side of him to be VERY interesting and I love it when TPTB explore that!
                        sigpic
                        My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Josie View Post
                          I hope the writers will finally get around to fully realising the potential his complex nature generates.
                          I've been wondering, this light/dark dichotomy we are seeing, did the writers really intend it, or does it come mostly from the way Joe portrays Sheppard? Maybe the reason we haven't gotten any explanations for Shep's complicated personality is that the writers have no idea how he got that way, since that's not how they envisoned him in the first place!
                          Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                          Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                          -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

If it is just JF's portrayal of the character then big time kudos to Joe Flanigan's acting!! *applause*
                            sigpic
                            My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                              I've been wondering, this light/dark dichotomy we are seeing, did the writers really intend it, or does it come mostly from the way Joe portrays Sheppard? Maybe the reason we haven't gotten any explanations for Shep's complicated personality is that the writers have no idea how he got that way, since that's not how they envisoned him in the first place!
                              Well I believe the original idea for Atlantis was for it to be darker than SG1 and so I think there was a certain amount of intention there but for some reason during season two they drifted away from that path and the show became lighter in tone as did Sheppard's character.

From reading interviews with Joe I get the impression he enjoys playing Sheppard as a more complicated and flawed character, adding in areas of grey rather than have him be the perfect hero.

So I think the darker Shep we saw in season one was a result of both the writer's intentions and Joe's approach to the character but sadly the writers seem to have dropped the ball somewhat. I hope that the slightly darker tone of season three is a good sign that they are going to explore Sheppard's personality more in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X