Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Ships - Why are people obsessed with them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Ships - Why are people obsessed with them?

Why are people so obsessed with making ships official? Every board I go to, tons of people want their ships to be made official on-screen.

What's so special about them? Do they think the shows will be better? How will either Stargate become better if we see two more characters pairing off? The smooching will make the show better? If John gets hurt, we'll see Elizabeth's emotional agony, that of a lover, which will make the show better?

It's gotten so bad, J. K. Rowling made almost everyone of importance pair off in the latest Harry Potter book. Not only was there a wedding, everyone and their cousin paired off!

So, what's this obsession of seeing ships becoming official? What your reason for wanting X-ship to become official?

I don't lol. Not really..I mean it would take the fun out of shipping IMO. =/

icon pic thanks Cathain Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by kazbaby
      It's easier for us to empathize with the characters if we see that connection confirmed on the screen (or in Rowling's case, on the page).
      And it's so hard to emphatize with them if they're single?

Comment

It'll NEVER happen, the UST is a weapon used by TPTB to keep us watching. Whenever they male and female leads get together the ratings plummet.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
          It'll NEVER happen, the UST is a weapon used by TPTB to keep us watching. Whenever they male and female leads get together the ratings plummet.
          Given that the series is ending, TPTB may not be too worried about that for SG1.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            Given that the series is ending, TPTB may not be too worried about that for SG1.
            True. When Mulder and Scully got together it was pretty much the death knell for X Files, whatever they do in SG-1 they're not going to please everyone are they.

Comment

I always loved Ship on TV and Movies.People are in relationships in real life and it's only natural to want to see it on TV and Movies as well.I think it adds to the characters and the Show and makes them more real.TPTB should be able to add Ship on a Show without changing the format of the Show.IMO Ship resolution has gotten an unfair wrap.Moonlighting is always used as an excuse and a big reason the Show failed was Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard did not get along.The Ship can stay in the backround for the most part and every so often you can show the Ship in a bigger part but TPTB who know what there doing will not let the Ship change the Show.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                I always loved Ship on TV and Movies.People are in relationships in real life and it's only natural to want to see it on TV and Movies as well.I think it adds to the characters and the Show and makes them more real.TPTB should be able to add Ship on a Show without changing the format of the Show.

Totally agree with you, ses110. That's exactly why I like to ship on TV. I don't think that shipping would interfere with the format of the show. TPTB shouldn't be scared to pair anyone off on the show.
                The Replicators
                We must Replicate

Comment

True. When Mulder and Scully got together it was pretty much the death knell for X Files, whatever they do in SG-1 they're not going to please everyone are they.
                  No. Look at the number of different ship threads on this forum, plus there are viewers who do not want any ship. Pleasing everybody would be impossible.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Not always. Just look at Farscape. Lots of ship there, and it didn't make the ratings plummet.
                    sigpic

Comment

IMHO, making ships official would be the biggest mistake in the entire universe.

If they did, which ship would they go for. As someone mentioned already -> Have you seen the possibilities people choose for? It would be insane.

TPTB would never be able to satisfy everyone. I, for one, am not much of a shipper. Maybe I could see a potential relationship between Sheppard and Weir but most definitely not between Ronon and Teyla.

And what about those that like slash better than ship. Should TPTB give them what they want? Now that, I'd like to see happening. A relationship between two ladies or two guys -> "dream on", says the little voice in the back of my head...
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think what you could do is have the character get together then you take it slow.Once in a while You show them having dinner and talking or going for a walk.You add some hugs and kisses and you show how the couple is dealing with the job and there private lives.You do not have to take 30 minutes in an episode to show the Ship.You take a couple of minutes from time to time and it should work out fine and the Show is not taken over by Ship.You have a good chance at pleasing both Shippers and non Shippers.These Shows get in trouble when they drag the Ship out for years and make the characters look bad.I think as long as the actors have good chemistry I want to see Ship.If the chemistry is not there then it's ok not to Ship the characters.I like shows with both Romance and friendship.When these Shows have no Romance and it's all action and adventure it's like your watching robots.

Comment

If the writers introduce Ship early into a show then it can work fine - as in the case of Farscape - but if you mess around with lots of different parings then people just go ahead and decide on their own pairing whether there is anything on the show between them or not.

I think the writers have been clearer in season three as to what kind of relationships are being developed on the show and the different kinds of relationships but I don't think they will ever go as far as having any relationship manifest. They may do it in the future but at the moment the PTB seem to be happy just to solidify friendships.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                            ...but at the moment the PTB seem to be happy just to solidify friendships.
                            With which I'm perfectly happy.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Me, I like the UST, though I am happily shipping my favorite pairs fanfic wise.... With the ambiguousness onscreen, everyone can have their fun...if it's "official," only those in the selected ship would be happy.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Potions_Mistress for the sig!

Comment

Working...
                              X