Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you tell which way up the stargate is?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you tell which way up the stargate is?

Not an earth shatering question I'll admit but it's been bothering me ever since I noticed the diference in the prop between the movie and sg1. So what hapens if you get it wrong do people come flying out upside down?
    may contain traces of nut

The Stargate has nine chevrons on it and the Point Of Origin will always be at the top with two at the bottom making a tall triangle shape joining their positions together, if it were turned it would not find the exact line of symmetry to look as though it were standing up right unless it was turned full circle back to its upright position

Comment

how does a stargate stand? do you have to build a stand or what? the stargate after all is just a circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
        how does a stargate stand? do you have to build a stand or what? the stargate after all is just a circle.
        Yes, as u've seen in the SGC and other places but most r also supported by the ground e.g. Atlantis or Beta Site or Apohas's ship the 1 in..., can't remember which episode at moment, its the 1 when the 2 Hatak's are going to attack earth.

Comment

true but seeing as how they were built by the ancients i was just thinking they might have a built in stand lmao. or something that allows it to stand by itself. after all its built by the ancients and was meant to stand so its only appropriate they built some kind of stand to go along with it.

Comment

Of course they built stands. What do you think those big stone blocks under the gates on random planets are for? The one with the stairs?

Comment

Mastered the interplanetary travel instantaneously, they could probably make a free standing circle. However they're all in stands or embedded in the floor.
              When all technology has failed and all hope is lost, we will realize we had the ultimate advantage all along...

MAY BANJOS RULE THE WORLD!!!
              The reason my chemistry teacher hates me:
              Spoiler:
              MBA (my chemistry teacher): What is Avagadros constant?
              Me: 6 and a bit times 10 to the 23.
              MBA: Yea, you know that "bit" is two billion trillion?
              Me: Im barnsley and hung over, a bit will do
              AND
              MBA: What do we do to the number of moles to get the number of atoms?
              Me: Times it by that really big number!
              MBA: Yes, that really big number, what is it?
              Me: How should i know?
              MBA: Its on the board
              Me: Then whats the point in asking???

Comment

that would be funny if somehow they get the gate turned upside down and all the travelers fall. In Nemisis they beamed the gate up and it was leaning, usually the bottom portion of the gate is burried so it stands up right, but if you beam it up and you enter with your foot lower than the top of that burried layer what happens? do you loose a foot or trip when exiting?
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Observer View Post
                  The Stargate has nine chevrons on it and the Point Of Origin will always be at the top with two at the bottom making a tall triangle shape joining their positions together, if it were turned it would not find the exact line of symmetry to look as though it were standing up right unless it was turned full circle back to its upright position
                  Ah but what if you rotate it by a multiple of forty degrees?
                  may contain traces of nut

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                    that would be funny if somehow they get the gate turned upside down and all the travelers fall. In Nemisis they beamed the gate up and it was leaning, usually the bottom portion of the gate is burried so it stands up right, but if you beam it up and you enter with your foot lower than the top of that burried layer what happens? do you loose a foot or trip when exiting?

Well in season 1 and i think 2 at the other end of the wormhole SG1 would always fall and roll down.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01
                      Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
                      Well in season 1 and i think 2 at the other end of the wormhole SG1 would always fall and roll down.
                      Its because in seasons 1 and 2 the SGC computers didn't fully compensate for interstellar shift.
                      Visit The Pegasus Outpost for all your Stargate Needs!

Comment

Originally posted by teletran View Post
                        Not an earth shatering question I'll admit but it's been bothering me ever since I noticed the diference in the prop between the movie and sg1. So what hapens if you get it wrong do people come flying out upside down?
                        The seventh chevron is always on top and its larger than the others.

Wooo!!! 200th post!

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by teletran View Post
                          Theoretically there is a right way up but technically its a circle and the inner circle spins with the glyphs on so I dont actually think it matters all that much *shrugs*

Comment

One would suspect the designers (Ancients) to ahve considered this fact, I believe the gate records your entry point in relation to the nearest powerfull gravitational field (planet fx) and aligns you after that.
                            In regards to the issue with the stand, it would again appear that the gate is actually designed to send people out a little bit away from the edge of the gate, which again would make sense as if something is blocking the gate, it is more likely to be at the edges then the middle.

What would be interesting is, how does the gate align something coming from the (atlantis season 3 spoiler)
                            Spoiler:
                            midway station
                            , there is after all no gravity there.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                              One would suspect the designers (Ancients) to ahve considered this fact, I believe the gate records your entry point in relation to the nearest powerfull gravitational field (planet fx) and aligns you after that.
                              In regards to the issue with the stand, it would again appear that the gate is actually designed to send people out a little bit away from the edge of the gate, which again would make sense as if something is blocking the gate, it is more likely to be at the edges then the middle.

What would be interesting is, how does the gate align something coming from the (atlantis season 3 spoiler)
                              Spoiler:
                              midway station
                              , there is after all no gravity there.
                              Well in Atlantis there is lots of space gates so it would work the same for them

Comment

Working...
                              X