second is around June 1st. As much as I know about the story, the first
one Rob is writing and directing has to do with wrapping up the Ori
storyline, which is the storyline that has taken prominence for the
last two years of the show. I don't know if he is going to wrap it up
completely or bring it to some conclusion for the sake of the fans and
the franchise, to bring that epic struggle to a close…I don't know how
he is going to do it in two hours but it will be pretty interesting to
watch.

Movie 2 : will involve some kind of time travel and has something to do with our
main mustache twiddling villain Baal doing something in the past that
alters…he basically finds a way to lift the stargate from Earth so the
Stargate Program never happens, and I imagine the characters will have
to go through some process to reset the clock and fix everything over
the course of two hours. Quite frankly that is as much as I know

Link (http://tv.ign.com/articles/751/751455p1.html)

sueKay
December 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Movie 2 sounds like a retread of Moebius, and we know that Moebius went down like a lead balloon...

kirmit
December 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Movie 2 sounds like a retread of Moebius, and we know that Moebius went down like a lead balloon...

it does actually just sound like a rehash of moebius, how disappointing :(.

shockwave04
December 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Dissapointing to me too guys. But he does say he heard about it in September, so thing could have changed.

Ltcolshepjumper
December 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I never liked time travel stories, especially those produced by TPTB. They just lacked interest. Instead, I really want them to settle the aschen storyline. That is the real story that needs to be concluded. You can't just ignore a threat like that.

lord-anubis
December 19th, 2006, 04:00 PM
it is nice to know that baal well be in at least one of the moives

Jackie
December 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Yep-mobius returns. Now they will correct thier lousy writing mistake by making it so Jack O'Neill never was part of the Stargate universe and Mitchell was there from day one. (i hope not--but I would not be surprised)

Oh, 2nd DVD will launch the third series--okay! The third series will be Stargate Command with Mitchell being Jack. Oh, yippie*rolls eyes*

Ltcolshepjumper
December 19th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yep-mobius returns. Now they will correct thier lousy writing mistake by making it so Jack O'Neill never was part of the Stargate universe and Mitchell was there from day one. (i hope not--but I would not be surprised)

Oh, 2nd DVD will launch the third series--okay! The third series will be Stargate Command with Mitchell being Jack. Oh, yippie*rolls eyes*

No one said anything about that. Nothing even hinted to that. The third series probably won't have any of the current cast( I hope it doesn't). It will probably be alot like Moebius. No swapping of characters in the Stargate past. Besides, mitchell wouldn't have been in the position to lead SG-1 then. He probably wasn't even a Lieutenant Colonel then. So the command would have gone to a Colonel, not Mitchell, who at most would have been a Major.

Cameron Mitchel
December 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Yep, retread of Moebius. Too bad. What a shame! It would have been better if they had just decided to spread out the first movie into two movies.

full.infinity
December 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I never liked time travel stories, especially those produced by TPTB. They just lacked interest. Instead, I really want them to settle the aschen storyline. That is the real story that needs to be concluded. You can't just ignore a threat like that.
TPTB said they had an idea for the Aschen but they couldn't find a way to make it work.
Besides, what makes you think the Ori haven't already killed the Aschen?

PG15
December 19th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Oh hell no, the Aschen were the boring villians I've ever had the displeasure to endure. IMHO, of course. ;)

We don't know that much about this storyline; sure it's similar to Moebius, but a lot of time travel stories are about going back in time and fixing stuff; we'll just have to see how it turns out at the end.

shockwave04
December 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I agree I want to see something about the Aschen

Jackie
December 19th, 2006, 06:43 PM
No one said anything about that. Nothing even hinted to that. The third series probably won't have any of the current cast( I hope it doesn't). It will probably be alot like Moebius. No swapping of characters in the Stargate past. Besides, mitchell wouldn't have been in the position to lead SG-1 then. He probably wasn't even a Lieutenant Colonel then. So the command would have gone to a Colonel, not Mitchell, who at most would have been a Major.

that was sarcasm...I didn't quote anything.

2ndgenerationalteran
December 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM
You never realize how low of a blow scifi's cancelation was until you read this:

Shanks: Again, piss poor timing on the part of SCI FI Channel for doing that just when we are celebrating with the fans this milestone episode, this buzz kill they had to announce to the crew as well; they didn't find out until the actual "200" episode party; everyone was dressed to the nines and the head of MGM comes on stage and goes, "So…we are done." Oh, there is a buzz kill. Pass the liquor. (laughs)

the rest of the story is here http://tv.ign.com/articles/751/751455p1.html

PG15
December 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
B**tards.

MasterPower
December 19th, 2006, 06:55 PM
You never realize how low of a blow scifi's cancelation was until you read this:

Shanks: Again, piss poor timing on the part of SCI FI Channel for doing that just when we are celebrating with the fans this milestone episode, this buzz kill they had to announce to the crew as well; they didn't find out until the actual "200" episode party; everyone was dressed to the nines and the head of MGM comes on stage and goes, "So…we are done." Oh, there is a buzz kill. Pass the liquor. (laughs)

Oh the humanity!

2ndgenerationalteran
December 19th, 2006, 07:13 PM
you have to truely have no heart to do something like that.

shockwave04
December 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah that was not cool

the fifth man
December 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
you have to truely have no heart to do something like that.

Well, the heads of Sci-Fi don't. So, that wasn't a problem for them.

JessM
December 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Second movie does sound a lot like Moebius. Guess we're going to have to wait and see what it's actually going to involve in detail...

Interesting interview, and I hate the way they found out about the cancellation ... disgusting timing on SciFi's part. :mckay:

Is it me or does he not seem to think very highly of "Carter"? He's worked with the actress almost 10 years now and has trouble remembering the character's name??

Guess it's possible that's a joke but doesn't sound like a very good one to me.

(I mean no offense to Michael though :o)

Jackie
December 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Second movie does sound a lot like Moebius. Guess we're going to have to wait and see what it's actually going to involve in detail...

Interesting interview, and I hate the way they found out about the cancellation ... disgusting timing on SciFi's part. :mckay:

Is it me or does he not seem to think very highly of "Carter"? He's worked with the actress almost 10 years now and has trouble remembering the character's name??

Guess it's possible that's a joke but doesn't sound like a very good one to me.

(I mean no offense to Michael though :o)

It sounded like he was joking to me. You know--when you work with someone 16 hours a day for 10 years you pretty much know them. It may have been an inside joke. But it didn't sound like he didn't like Sam to me. (He did name is boy Sam--i wonder if that's related to the joke)

shockwave04
December 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Its probably just a joke, but you never know.

DeltaFlyer
December 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Its probably just a joke, but you never know.

I think it was a joke, he made a similar joke on the inside the 200th ep special regarding the crew, from what I can tell he has that kind of sense of humor.

JessM
December 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I guess it could have been a joke... and I guess there's also the fact that he was taking time off when they filmed that ep.

angelfire east
December 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM
(He did name is boy Sam--i wonder if that's related to the joke)

He did:eek: Cool:D

PG15
December 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Come on guys, OF COURSE it's a joke. I can't believe you guys are actually thinking otherwise.

And on that note, I just like to add that, even if it wasn't a joke, it's not out of the question for someone to just forget a name like *that*. It's happened to me hundreds of times.

Goddess
December 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM

This makes me sad. They couldn't have waited like a week. :rolleyes:

Time travel though . . . Not so horrible. Could be worse. And Ba'al cool so . . . yeah.

Dromag67
December 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Come on guys, OF COURSE it's a joke. I can't believe you guys are actually thinking otherwise.

And on that note, I just like to add that, even if it wasn't a joke, it's not out of the question for someone to just forget a name like *that*. It's happened to me hundreds of times.

/sarcasm on

Oh Im sure there is deep seeded hatred between Michael Shanks and Amanda Tapping.

/sarcasm off

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to judge the 2nd movie until we get more details, doesn't sound like he knew a lot either. September was a while back, and a lot can change in 4 months.

Ba'al is a good thing though. :baal:

Bragi
December 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Shanks: Again, piss poor timing on the part of SCI FI Channel for doing that just when we are celebrating with the fans this milestone episode, this buzz kill they had to announce to the crew as well; they didn't find out until the actual "200" episode party;

Sound familiar?

Wonder if someone's thrown a "We Don't Work For Sci-Fi Anymore" party.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hey, SG1 movie 2 is a homage to Star Trek First Contact. (Borg go back in time to attempt to assimilate Earth)

JessM
December 21st, 2006, 03:10 AM
/sarcasm on

Oh Im sure there is deep seeded hatred between Michael Shanks and Amanda Tapping.

/sarcasm off

:rolleyes:

No one ever said anything about hatred. However it does seem that he holds Claudia Black in a higher regard than Amanda Tapping - at least that's what I've gathered from the interview and others before it. And I'm not faulting him for it - he can think however he wants to, but that is just what I gathered through reading various interviews.

jazstaR
December 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM
cant wait for 1st movie,

2nd movie, well... love time travel.. would love it to be about the four race alliance.
very VERY dissappointed its about baal.

esoap524
December 21st, 2006, 10:08 AM
I guess it could have been a joke... and I guess there's also the fact that he was taking time off when they filmed that ep.

I don't think it's a joke--I think it's honestly one of those "senior" moments. You know how details like people's names escape you every now and again.

I remember my mother snapping her fingers, pointing at me, and saying "you...you..." before she went through a litany of names to remember mine. LOL!

No one ever said anything about hatred. However it does seem that he holds Claudia Black in a higher regard than Amanda Tapping - at least that's what I've gathered from the interview and others before it. And I'm not faulting him for it - he can think however he wants to, but that is just what I gathered through reading various interviews.

Sometimes you click better with some people than others. AT, for her part, seems to hold RDA in higher esteem, as in she seems closer to him, than she does MS. And, Claudia aside, it seems to me that MS and Chris Judge seem to get on quite well. It's possible too that CB works differently than AT does and that has taught him something, or brought a different set of cards to the table for him.

FWIW, Ben Browder, working very closely with Claudia Black, used to talk the most about her and vice versa, because they were in almost every scene together and were each other's onscreen love interest. That same thing might also be going on here, given that Daniel and Vala are constantly paired up, whether it's romantic or not.

Skydiver
December 21st, 2006, 10:21 AM
Michael seems to suffer from terminal foot in mouth disease and doesn't seem to realize that, what i can only guess he means as a joke, can be interpreted and seen quite differently.

He could probably benefit from a class they teach some of our people here, how to talk to and deal with the media. Cause he doesn't seem to be very skilled in that area.

esoap524
December 21st, 2006, 10:27 AM
Michael seems to suffer from terminal foot in mouth disease and doesn't seem to realize that, what i can only guess he means as a joke, can be interpreted and seen quite differently.

He could probably benefit from a class they teach some of our people here, how to talk to and deal with the media. Cause he doesn't seem to be very skilled in that area.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Skydiver
December 21st, 2006, 10:34 AM
maybe.

it is a skill.

Let's say you stayed out too late last night and partied...but successfully made it home and in bed without the parentals noticing that you broke curfew.

ok, two days later...if you want them to continue to not realize that you broke the rules, dont' talk about what Bess Parker did at that party. or don't complain about your headache or don't bring it up at all.

If you don't bring it up, then y ou won't be asked questions that might lead to you saying something that incriminates you.

He, unfortunately, lacks that skill to steer the conversation around the hot topics, then to phrase things in a less negative manner, and it usually comes back to bite him in the tush.

I can't think of a single interview he's given where he hasn't stepped on somenoe's toes somehow, which is really too bad for him because i'm sure it's something that's been an issue now and again.

prion
December 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM

Me thinks that a lot of people are reading far too much into comments made by the actors and looking for hidden agendas that just aren't there. Heck, I've worked with people for years and have forgotten their names.

ShardsofGlass
December 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
I know! For heaven's sake, hasn't everyone blanked on a name before? I can't possibly be the only one who's started to introduce a good friend to someone and ended up having to admit that I forgot their name. Or been talking to someone about a friend or family member and blanked on their name.

My aunt is famous for forgetting her own children's names and reeling off a list of random names until the real name pops into her head. We all laugh about it.

Sheesh -- if this had been a different interviewer, they would've just edited out MS's forgetfulness.

esoap524
December 21st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Me thinks that a lot of people are reading far too much into comments made by the actors and looking for hidden agendas that just aren't there. Heck, I've worked with people for years and have forgotten their names.

I tend to agree with that. I forget co-workers' names, KIDS' names, sometimes. In this case he forgot the character's name, not the actress'.

ScifigirlSG
December 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
maybe.

it is a skill.

Let's say you stayed out too late last night and partied...but successfully made it home and in bed without the parentals noticing that you broke curfew.

ok, two days later...if you want them to continue to not realize that you broke the rules, dont' talk about what Bess Parker did at that party. or don't complain about your headache or don't bring it up at all.

If you don't bring it up, then y ou won't be asked questions that might lead to you saying something that incriminates you.

He, unfortunately, lacks that skill to steer the conversation around the hot topics, then to phrase things in a less negative manner, and it usually comes back to bite him in the tush.

I can't think of a single interview he's given where he hasn't stepped on somenoe's toes somehow, which is really too bad for him because i'm sure it's something that's been an issue now and again.

Is it safe to say that MS stepped on Brad Wright's toes? After all, Brad said that the 2nd movie would be about time travel but didn't say who was in it.

Farscapefan
December 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
He did:eek: Cool:D

His son's name is Samuel.

John W
December 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
I for one am really looking forward to seeing these two movies. As someone from the UK "non-Satellite/DVD-only" audience, I have yet to see any of Season 10. However, I am sure that the movies will be excellent, especially the first one.

While I admit that on reading the storyline for the 2nd movie, I too thought "Oh, that sounds like Moebius", I will still like it. If nothing else, I'm a major fan of Ba'al. If anyone should be in an SG-1 movie, it's him. Several years ago, when the rumours of an SG-1 movie first started floating around, I had hoped Apophis would be in it (this was back in the days when he was still around). So having Ba'al means the same thing to me.

Anyway, on the subject of the way that Sci-Fi broke the news of the show's cancellation, I totally agree that was a really awful way to do it. I'm someone who has also been on the receiving end of bad news at really happy times (usually involving me being made redundant!). So I could totally understand Michael Shanks and anyone else for feeling really peeved-off at this.

Pitry
December 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM
I remember my mother snapping her fingers, pointing at me, and saying "you...you..." before she went through a litany of names to remember mine. LOL!

Huh. My mum does that all the time. Whenever she wants to call me or one of my sisters by name, she always ends up going through the other two names before hitting the right one. :)

As for the foot in the mouth, there's being diplomatic and there's being a hypocrite. While MS did come out with some odd comments in the past, it does have the benefit of eliminating both options. Better, I think, than someone who'd lie about their true feelings for the media's sake.

prion
December 21st, 2006, 12:48 PM
Is it safe to say that MS stepped on Brad Wright's toes? After all, Brad said that the 2nd movie would be about time travel but didn't say who was in it.

Don't see any stepping on toes in what Michael said. BW gave his interview to TV Guide, folks notorious for editing down text. They might have easily chosen not to post that information or maybe it wasn't polished up at that point.

flynn1959
December 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM

Oh for goodness sake, it says 'laughs' right after the comment. Of course he didn't forget her name, it was a little jokey thing. If anyone suffers from foot in mouth disease it's AT, I 'm surprised she can get any words out in some of her interviews at all with all those toes in the way! Who can forget her distasteful comments about MS when he left the show in season six. Not said in jest either. Michael knows how to deal with the media just fine, with honesty and a refreshing openess some others would do well to emulate.

flynn1959
December 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
maybe.

it is a skill.

Do you have the wood and the nails ready?

flynn1959
December 21st, 2006, 01:28 PM

Yes and he made it quite clear that they don't want him called Sam, always Samuel, well it is a nice name.

darman
December 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
This might make me sound like a jerk but none-the-less I will speak my mind.

THE IDEA FOR THE SECOND MOVIE IS TERRIBLE, PERIOD.

I just can't believe they're trying to sell us this crappy sci-fi cliche. First of all, this may be last chapter in the book about this team and they want to undermine and cheapen everything they and we went through. That's what Moebius did and that's why I didn't like it. Unless they come up with a ground-breaking time travel story that would make Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert and Gene Roddenberry rise from their graves and whistle in unison the Stargate theme, I say don't do it.

There are so many threads they could go back to, for example Aschen as some you have mentioned that would be much better to go back to than this. Here's their chance to do it. PTPB seemed to be gun shy on this one and if this is the way they want to do it I'd rather just have a 4 hour miniseries to wrap up the Ori storyline.

flynn1959
December 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM

Me thinks you're right. If you read any of the actors interviews and pick them apart word for word you are sure to find something that doesn't sound quite right. It was a tiny little jokey comment, some people just don't like MS and would find fault if he recited the sermon on the mount!

angelfire east
December 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Hey!:mckay:

Yes and he made it quite clear that they don't want him called Sam, always Samuel, well it is a nice name.

Yes it's a nice name. :)

Jace021903
December 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM

Amen.

I've looked right at my son before and called him my *daughter's* name. Come on.

:confused:

People seem to have a raging fit when their own favorite is picked apart, but have no problem picking apart someone else. Wouldn't it be nice we gave the benefit of the doubt to all of them and left fandom politics out of it? I'm just saying...

Pitry
December 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Oh for goodness sake, it says 'laughs' right after the comment. Of course he didn't forget her name, it was a little jokey thing. If anyone suffers from foot in mouth disease it's AT, I 'm surprised she can get any words out in some of her interviews at all with all those toes in the way! Who can forget her distasteful comments about MS when he left the show in season six. Not said in jest either. Michael knows how to deal with the media just fine, with honesty and a refreshing openess some others would do well to emulate.

...How are AT's comments connected to all of this?..

Ah, well. As for the second movie, as no one's actualyl seen the script, I shall remain optimistically sceptical. It doesn't have to be Moebius, part 3 (although I admit it, the idea sound suspiciously familiar).

PG15
December 21st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Huh. My mum does that all the time. Whenever she wants to call me or one of my sisters by name, she always ends up going through the other two names before hitting the right one. :)

Hehe, my dad is the same way. :D

flynn1959
December 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM
...How are AT's comments connected to all of this?..

Ah, well. As for the second movie, as no one's actualyl seen the script, I shall remain optimistically sceptical. It doesn't have to be Moebius, part 3 (although I admit it, the idea sound suspiciously familiar).

I was posting about how people read different comments from different actors, how they put thier own slant on things.

I too am more than a little suspicious that the second movie will be nothing more than a homage to Moebius. These people do seem to lack originality.

Pitry
December 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM
I was posting about how people read different comments from different actors, how they put thier own slant on things.

Well, didn't read that way. Nevermind.

I too am more than a little suspicious that the second movie will be nothing more than a homage to Moebius. These people do seem to lack originality.

actually, no I don't think they lack originality :). I said was optimistically suspicious. They could pull it off. Hopefully, they would.

majorsal
December 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM

please don't turn this into an AT vrs MS debate. we both have our preferred ppl, and we both will fight for them to our dying breaths. WE are the ones with issues, whereas we really, honestly don't know about amanda or michael's feelings for one another.

i, for one, picked up something i didn't like in the interview, but it's nothing new and it's 'only' my interpretation. but if you continue down the slam amanda path, i will fight back as well. do you really want to hear crap about michael?

back to what was said in the interview: i hope the second movie (the time travel one) will erase everything i don't like about the show. that's season 9 and 10 and all the new changes.

sally :)

majorsal
December 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM

you do know how you're making that sound, right?

majorsal
December 21st, 2006, 02:58 PM

lack originality and depth. they used to be able to do this, but i think they just don't care anymore about being perfectionists.

sally :mckay:

Michelle05
December 21st, 2006, 03:38 PM

I think it's really reaching to say he lacks the skill, and we have no idea whether he's had "training" in talking to the media. Maybe he just decided long ago not to spew out bull***t to people and rather to face things as head-on and honestly as he can and live with the consequences. As a reader, I sure prefer that to "everything is beautiful and we all love each other" pablum.

As to whether a few fans here thinking there was some nefarious purpose in his forgetting Carter's name counts as biting him on the tush... I'm sure he couldn't care less, if he even knew about it. By the way, I remember seeing a behind-the-scenes clip or something in which RDA could not remember Carter's name in the middle of a scene! So I think a small lapse by Michael while he's talking a mile a minute about 10 different subjects is understandable and not some negative statement.

As to whether he likes working with Claudia more than others in the cast, so what if he does? He makes it clear she brought something he really needed to recharge his enthusiasm. Is Chris Judge supposed to be angry or hurt by MS saying that, even though they are best friends? I'm pretty sure CJ and AT know where they stand with Michael.

I find it very strange that while our own real-life relationships are often complex and textured, we don't give the same benefit to celebrities and have to always look for a black-or-white answer on everything.

I thought it was a fun interview, anyway. Cliff Simon said at the Burbank con that he would be in the time travel movie, so Michael was not spoiling anything that wasn't already public.

shockwave04
December 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
I think it was a joke, he made a similar joke on the inside the 200th ep special regarding the crew, from what I can tell he has that kind of sense of humor.

Yeah I know it a joke. they do say scarcasm doesn't translate well over text. lol

majorsal
December 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah I know it a joke. they do say scarcasm doesn't translate well over text. lol

i think *my* problem is that i've been in fandom too long, and have heard/know too much. i wish i didn't.

sally :daniel: :sam: :jack: :tealc:

ussrelativity
December 21st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Amazing that the DVD movies will start filming on April 15th-- that happens to be my birthday!

JessM
December 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Okay - let me say that I am sorry I ever made such a comment regarding this interview. It seems clear to me now that a lot of you think I'm an idiot for reading too much into what he said or saw things that weren't there.

However, I really need to address a few things. I do NOT hate MS and find fault with everything he does. On the contrary I am a fan of his (if you don't believe me, check out the Daniel/MS Thunk Thread where I spend a great deal of my time at this forum). No, I don't like *every*thing about him, but I don't out and out hate him.

His comment did strike me funny at first because I took it seriously and thought that, even if it was supposed to be a joke, it was done on purpose to sort of get across any dislike of the character (especially from the way he referred to her as "Carter"). I see now that I am apparently wrong in my assumption and I was jumping to conclusions.

I don't care if he likes one actress over the other, that's his prerogative. If anything I was disappointed because he and AT always seemed to be rather close (Director's Series for Revisions, AT's "Beyond the Gate", and their joint appearance at the Grand Slam con two years ago) and I guess I wrongfully came to the conclusion that they weren't friends (or at least good friends) anymore.

I guess I should have expressed that up front. Instead I came across as a real idiot. I'm sorry I caused so much trouble. :(

Lord Balls
December 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM
I really hope that RDA is part of either of the two movies. Here's what I think the subtitle for each movies should be.

Stargate SG1: Sorry we invented the Ori
Stargate SG1: Another Star Trek time travel movie

the fifth man
December 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
Amazing that the DVD movies will start filming on April 15th-- that happens to be my birthday!

That's cool. I'm just happy to know everyone is signed up for them both, and that we have official dates on filming now. I can't wait to see the SG-1 story continue on past this season.:)

Michelle05
December 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
I don't care if he likes one actress over the other, that's his prerogative. If anything I was disappointed because he and AT always seemed to be rather close (Director's Series for Revisions, AT's "Beyond the Gate", and their joint appearance at the Grand Slam con two years ago) and I guess I wrongfully came to the conclusion that they weren't friends (or at least good friends) anymore.

I guess I should have expressed that up front. Instead I came across as a real idiot. I'm sorry I caused so much trouble. :(

Aww. For my part, I only objected to the generalization by others that he doesn't know how to talk to the media and that his honesty is somehow a shortcoming. Actually, I agree with you in that he and AT aren't as close friends as they once were. Not because of the Carter comment, which I think was a brain fade, but based on times when he might have mentioned her in response to questions and didn't... Just my speculation, however!

I think it's wonderful he found in CB an actress who made him feel so challenged and motivated. I treasure the people I've worked with for years, but I also love new blood coming in to get us out of our comfort zones and thinking in new directions.

suse
December 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM
Aww. For my part, I only objected to the generalization by others that he doesn't know how to talk to the media and that his honesty is somehow a shortcoming. Actually, I agree with you in that he and AT aren't as close friends as they once were. Not because of the Carter comment, which I think was a brain fade, but based on times when he might have mentioned her in response to questions and didn't... Just my speculation, however!

<snip>

I agree that was a brain fade. :) Happened to me today. I'v known this woman for years and ordered many things for her. And drew a complete blank. Though at that point the work Mom would have been a problem. Long week. :S

I noticed the omissions also. But won't go into it. It wouldn't end well.
:) No need to make the mods jobs harder.

Suse

Madeleine
December 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM

He also suffers, in common with virtually every other actor and PTB, from the tendency of certain people to gleefully assume the worst possible meaning behind anything that's said, to never give benefit of doubt, to snark about the teeniest of things and to speculate unkindly about personal matters such as actors' relationships with each other.

C'est la vie, welcome to fandom. :(

Madeleine
December 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM

Well of course it's an issue. People blow it up to the skies and make it an issue. I wonder if it would surprise you to learn that stuff like you're saying about MS gets said about AT, CJ, CB, BB, the other BB... everyone who ever gives interviews. Just by different crowds. It's an issue for everyone who gives interviews, because the vultures are always circling and waiting to descend. Different vultures go for different game, that's all.

Madeleine
December 21st, 2006, 09:59 PM
but if you continue down the slam amanda path, i will fight back as well. do you really want to hear crap about michael?

No pet, that's not how it works: if people defend Actor X with one hand and attack Actor Y with the other, you don't rush to attack X. You simply point out their extreme double standards, defend Y as far as poss, and maybe make a pointed comment about how these things can escalate. (Because you and I both know that escalation happens, if allowed.) You do NOT threaten to do the escalating yourself. It's bad enough when there are 'fandom wars' without people deliberately puffing them up.

Slurs on Amanda (ANY actor) are unwelcome. If you see them, either defend her (him) on the situation's own merit - if you feel able - or report them to a mod. Don't play the "I can diss better than you" game.

Cheers

EmmaPeel
December 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM

I didn't see any "generalizations" that his honesty is somehow a shortcoming. I saw a few people commenting on his "honesty," saying they felt it wasn't always appropriate and he could be a bit more diplomatic; that *they* felt it was something on which he could improve. Just a general opinion on communicaton, I thought. No different, IMO, than someone saying they would *like* an actor to say what he/she really feels, as opposed to giving the party line.

I think it's wonderful he found in CB an actress who made him feel so challenged and motivated. I treasure the people I've worked with for years, but I also love new blood coming in to get us out of our comfort zones and thinking in new directions.

Yes, I think it's nice for him as well; good that CB has invigorated his acting. It must be nice to find this in another actor after so many years of playing the same part. I just honestly get a bit tired of hearing him saying it repeatedly in every interview. Enough already sometimes, ya know?

EmmaPeel
December 21st, 2006, 10:39 PM
Okay - let me say that I am sorry I ever made such a comment regarding this interview. It seems clear to me now that a lot of you think I'm an idiot for reading too much into what he said or saw things that weren't there.

However, I really need to address a few things. I do NOT hate MS and find fault with everything he does. On the contrary I am a fan of his (if you don't believe me, check out the Daniel/MS Thunk Thread where I spend a great deal of my time at this forum). No, I don't like *every*thing about him, but I don't out and out hate him.

His comment did strike me funny at first because I took it seriously and thought that, even if it was supposed to be a joke, it was done on purpose to sort of get across any dislike of the character (especially from the way he referred to her as "Carter"). I see now that I am apparently wrong in my assumption and I was jumping to conclusions.

Speaking only for myself (aw heck...I'll speak for everyone)...you didn't come across as an idiot at all. You simply expressed an opinion and it caused no trouble at all.

No need to apologize.:)

flynn1959
December 22nd, 2006, 12:18 AM
i think *my* problem is that i've been in fandom too long, and have heard/know too much. i wish i didn't.

sally :daniel: :sam: :jack: :tealc:

So have I and I have also seen both MS and AT together at conventions and trust me Michael regards AT as a very close friend and I am sure he would never say or do anything to hurt or upset her.

flynn1959
December 22nd, 2006, 12:21 AM

Don't worry about it, hon. Some people will find fault no matter what he says or does. It was a joke, lets just leave it at that. I am sure they are still the best of friends just like always.

flynn1959
December 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
Well of course it's an issue. People blow it up to the skies and make it an issue. I wonder if it would surprise you to learn that stuff like you're saying about MS gets said about AT, CJ, CB, BB, the other BB... everyone who ever gives interviews. Just by different crowds. It's an issue for everyone who gives interviews, because the vultures are always circling and waiting to descend. Different vultures go for different game, that's all.

Exactly! Excellent post, well said.

Albion
December 22nd, 2006, 12:55 AM
The second movie starts shooting June 1. Executive producer Brad Wright will write the second film, with Martin Wood directing. That story is a time travel story taking SG-1 to the past. "[It] has something to do with our main mustache twiddling villain Baal [Cliff Simon] doing something in the past," Shanks said. "He basically finds a way to lift the Stargate from Earth so the Stargate Program never happens, and I imagine the characters will have to go through some process to reset the clock and fix everything."

These guys really do have utter contempt for the intelligence of their audience these days, don't they? After S10 stumbling around repeating the basic theme of S7, they come up with this as their exciting new project? And hope we don't notice it just a reheat of Moebius? I'm just amazed this show still has the amount of fans it has the way TPTB keep dumping on them this way.

Albion :)

Farscapefan
December 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Yes, I think it's nice for him as well; good that CB has invigorated his acting. It must be nice to find this in another actor after so many years of playing the same part. I just honestly get a bit tired of hearing him saying it repeatedly in every interview. Enough already sometimes, ya know?

Nope, it's not enough. Plus, Claudia is praising Michael in her every interview, too :)

BTW, Micheal just answered the question, which was: "IGN TV: As a fan, one of the biggest joys of the past two seasons are seeing your interactions and scenes with Vala. What has it been like working with Claudia Black in so many popular scenes?"

And he gave the answer which made me and the legion of Claudia's fans more than happy and made me love MS even more now. What kind of answer do you expect for such a question? "Next question, please", perhaps?

Madeleine
December 22nd, 2006, 08:06 AM
Exactly! Excellent post, well said.

I'm glad you think so :)

Maybe you'd like to edit your words about Ms Tapping in the light of it? It's just as unpleasant for most of us to read unkind things said about her as it is to see unkindness directed at Mr Shanks; and the way to deal with it is *not* to attack another actor or PTB.

Hubble
December 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Nope, it's not enough. Plus, Claudia is praising Michael in her every interview, too :)

Yes, all who read these interviews are aware of that.

Suebsg9
December 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM

Firstly can I say you are not an idiot Jess; and no trouble caused.

Secondly; Michael had no clue what the names of the two carter eps were because he never got scripts for them; at TT20 he did guess Line In Sand but didn't know what the other one was because he was not given a script.

Thirdly I think its hard for us to say how good of friends Michael and Amanda are cause as far as I can tell we are not around them 24/7; so whether or not they hang out who knows; to me I think the fact that they spent the last day on the set together and went up to look at the stargate speaks volumes of what Amanda, CJ and Michael have been thru on the series and they tell you they have been thru alot in the 10 years on it. So guessing they have to have a strong bond there.

Fourthly; Michael likes working with Claudia nothing wrong with that; I like the chemistry I see when those two are together. I mean at the beginning when the Science twins got together it was fun to watch but now its fun to watch him acting off Claudia but that is my opinion.

You had concerns about what you read in an interview you had a right to talk about it. Me I took him pretending not to know Carters name as a 'brain fart' :)

Jackie
December 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM

well, he's not going to name his boy--Samantha.:sam:

For God's askes, why is it that when ever this poor guys makes a statement he get's picked to death on every thing he says? Weather he blanked on a name--was kidding--or they just edited it poorly this guy gets ragged to death.

If CJ had been talking about MS and said, "What's his name" and laughed, it would be taken as a joke hands down. If he was talking about CB, it would taken as a joke. Honestly, give the guy a break and stop taking everything you read as pure fact.

chocdoc
December 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Firstly can I say you are not an idiot Jess; and no trouble caused.

Secondly; Michael had no clue what the names of the two carter eps were because he never got scripts for them; at TT20 he did guess Line In Sand but didn't know what the other one was because he was not given a script.

Thirdly I think its hard for us to say how good of friends Michael and Amanda are cause as far as I can tell we are not around them 24/7; so whether or not they hang out who knows; to me I think the fact that they spent the last day on the set together and went up to look at the stargate speaks volumes of what Amanda, CJ and Michael have been thru on the series and they tell you they have been thru alot in the 10 years on it. So guessing they have to have a strong bond there.

Fourthly; Michael likes working with Claudia nothing wrong with that; I like the chemistry I see when those two are together. I mean at the beginning when the Science twins got together it was fun to watch but now its fun to watch him acting off Claudia but that is my opinion.

You had concerns about what you read in an interview you had a right to talk about it. Me I took him pretending not to know Carters name as a 'brain fart' :)

It somes ways, it is similar to comments recently made by AT and David Hewlett about each other---how much they love working together and respect each other. MS and CB compliment one another, and so do AT and DH. I can see why because both pairs enjoy acting with each other and they all like their character interaction.

I actually miss the science twins interaction, actually. I feel that season 9 and 10 are missing something precisely because Sam, Teal'c and Daniel don't get to interact that much in any meaningful way, from my perspective. Oh well. Still looks like the potential for some good episodes coming up in the second half for Sam and for Daniel.

Suebsg9
December 22nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
It somes ways, it is similar to comments recently made by AT and David Hewlett about each other---how much they love working together and respect each other. MS and CB compliment one another, and so do AT and DH. I can see why because both pairs enjoy acting with each other and they all like their character interaction.

I actually miss the science twins interaction, actually. I feel that season 9 and 10 are missing something precisely because Sam, Teal'c and Daniel don't get to interact that much in any meaningful way, from my perspective. Oh well. Still looks like the potential for some good episodes coming up in the second half for Sam and for Daniel.

You can tell on screen the actors that click well together; I mean took them long enough to actually start putting CJ and Michael aka Tealc and Daniel in scenes and when they did it was fun to watch. And Michael has been going on about Claudia since they did Prometheus Unbound. So him commenting the way he did isn't a surprize he has been saying that since that eps; the ones in S9 she did and now acting again with her in S10. And yep thats why the earlier eps are fun to watch cause you get to see the Science Twins together. And to me the earlier seasons will be classics cause the original SG1 team are in those.

JessM
December 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'm glad you didn't think I caused any trouble... well, most of you that is....

For God's askes, why is it that when ever this poor guys makes a statement he get's picked to death on every thing he says? Weather he blanked on a name--was kidding--or they just edited it poorly this guy gets ragged to death.

If CJ had been talking about MS and said, "What's his name" and laughed, it would be taken as a joke hands down. If he was talking about CB, it would taken as a joke. Honestly, give the guy a break and stop taking everything you read as pure fact.

I would laugh if CJ was talking about MS because I know how these guys interact and how they goof around on each other. I didn't know he could be like this when speaking of AT as well but apparently, from what you're saying, he can be, so ...... what else can I say but mea culpa.

I really wish some people would stop crucifying me for this. :mckay: I said I was sorry for jumping to conclusions, didn't I?

And, speaking of which, Madeleine, I really hope you are not referring to me when you said this: speculate unkindly about personal matters such as actors' relationships with each other.

Let me say again that I did NOT intend to be "unkind" in what I said. I did not mean to make it sound like I was saying "Michael Shanks is a very, very bad man who is saying horrible things about his costars and thus no longer likes them." I was merely speculating about what I thought he was saying there. I was looking for something that probably was not there and saying I was disappointed because from what I've seen lately he and AT don't seem as close anymore -- and that was a SIMPLE OBSERVATION.

Why am I still getting raked over coals for this? I made a mistake and I apologized. It's done and I really want to move on, not have more people tell me what a horrible person I am (and I'm already prone to low self-esteem every so often). Can't we just leave it at that?? :(

majorsal
December 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
No pet, that's not how it works: if people defend Actor X with one hand and attack Actor Y with the other, you don't rush to attack X. You simply point out their extreme double standards, defend Y as far as poss, and maybe make a pointed comment about how these things can escalate. (Because you and I both know that escalation happens, if allowed.) You do NOT threaten to do the escalating yourself. It's bad enough when there are 'fandom wars' without people deliberately puffing them up.

Slurs on Amanda (ANY actor) are unwelcome. If you see them, either defend her (him) on the situation's own merit - if you feel able - or report them to a mod. Don't play the "I can diss better than you" game.

Cheers

yes, pet, i mean madeleine. :)

majorsal
December 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
So have I and I have also seen both MS and AT together at conventions and trust me Michael regards AT as a very close friend and I am sure he would never say or do anything to hurt or upset her.

then i'm VERY glad to hear this.

shockwave04
December 22nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
About the time travel movie. He did say that he heard about in September. Its been three months since he heard anything about it, so it could have changed.

Madeleine
December 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
I really wish some people would stop crucifying me for this. :mckay: I said I was sorry for jumping to conclusions, didn't I?

Who's crucifying you? Not one person has responded to you since your apology with anything but affirmation.

And, speaking of which, Madeleine, I really hope you are not referring to me when you said this: speculate unkindly about personal matters such as actors' relationships with each other.

No, as I had only just got to the post I was replying to when I replied, and yours came after, I did not have you in mind when I wrote that. I was speaking very generally, not even just about this thread, as you can gather from the way my post refers to virtually every other actor and PTB when this thread is about MS... though certain posts (some now deleted) in this thread from a few people do rather prove my point.

Why am I still getting raked over coals for this?

I dunno. I'd have to know who's raking you first. Are people PMing you or dinging you?

I made a mistake and I apologized. It's done and I really want to move on, not have more people tell me what a horrible person I am (and I'm already prone to low self-esteem every so often). Can't we just leave it at that?? :(

I've scanned and scanned the replies to you and I can't see anyone telling you you're horrible. I'm sure you're not. Unless you think Jackie's post that you quoted was ragging on you - but she hadn't quoted you or referred to you, and again it was clear she was referring to more than one person, which means that at the very least you surely wouldn't see it as a pointed comment directed to you.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Maybe (maybe being a vague and highly conditional word) you started something... but maybe someone else would have started it if you hadn't and no way did you force anyone to pick up on it and add to it. You apologised and retracted things, but other people (plural) have said more or worse things than you without apologising or deleting, even when prompted explicitly to edit a post. The fact that people defend Michael is a measure of how strongly they feel that any person who has been criticised or attacked deserves a defence, not of any sort of ire they feel for you.

(ETA - to anyone who's wondering why their post went missing, it was either a slur on the actors, a slur on fans, or a response to (or response to response to) such a post; or it was way off topic. Since there are newbies in the thread, at least one of whom has lost a post in this way I ought to point out that if you respond to a skein of the conversation that skirts the rules, you're liable to lose your post even if *your* post was legit, and even if your post was a stout and decent rebuttal of the slur. Beyond your post being removed, there will be no fall-out or comeback on you and it doesn't make you a Marked Poster or anything; it's just done to clean up someone else's mess.)

Madeleine
December 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
this buzz kill they had to announce to the crew as well; they didn't find out until the actual "200" episode party

I have a feeling the same thing happenned to Angel. The cast and crew found out about the cancellation at the 100th ep party. I know there's no good tiime to get bad news, but I do feel extra sorry for them finding out at the 200th ep party.

JessM
December 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM
Who's crucifying you? Not one person has responded to you since your apology with anything but affirmation.

I know that people did (respond with affirmation that is) and I appreciate that, but another person then complained about Michael's statements getting picked to death. I know more than one person had been doing it, but I thought I was included there since I had first started the whole discussion.

No, as I had only just got to the post I was replying to when I replied, and yours came after, I did not have you in mind when I wrote that. I was speaking very generally, not even just about this thread, as you can gather from the way my post refers to virtually every other actor and PTB when this thread is about MS... though certain posts (some now deleted) in this thread from a few people do rather prove my point.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood... I did gather you were speaking generally, and I know that your post was before mine, but again I thought that my post that started this whole thing was included in that and it made me feel bad. I realize now it's not the case and I'm sorry about that.

I dunno. I'd have to know who's raking you first. Are people PMing you or dinging you?

I've scanned and scanned the replies to you and I can't see anyone telling you you're horrible. I'm sure you're not. Unless you think Jackie's post that you quoted was ragging on you - but she hadn't quoted you or referred to you, and again it was clear she was referring to more than one person, which means that at the very least you surely wouldn't see it as a pointed comment directed to you.

No one's been PMing me with anything bad, and yeah I was referring to Jackie's post. I know she was speaking to more than one person, but I thought she was including me. Jackie if you weren't then I'm sorry - and if you were... well I'm still sorry for starting this whole thing.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Maybe (maybe being a vague and highly conditional word) you started something... but maybe someone else would have started it if you hadn't and no way did you force anyone to pick up on it and add to it. You apologised and retracted things, but other people (plural) have said more or worse things than you without apologising or deleting, even when prompted explicitly to edit a post. The fact that people defend Michael is a measure of how strongly they feel that any person who has been criticised or attacked deserves a defence, not of any sort of ire they feel for you.

(ETA - to anyone who's wondering why their post went missing, it was either a slur on the actors, a slur on fans, or a response to (or response to response to) such a post; or it was way off topic. Since there are newbies in the thread, at least one of whom has lost a post in this way I ought to point out that if you respond to a skein of the conversation that skirts the rules, you're liable to lose your post even if *your* post was legit, and even if your post was a stout and decent rebuttal of the slur. Beyond your post being removed, there will be no fall-out or comeback on you and it doesn't make you a Marked Poster or anything; it's just done to clean up someone else's mess.)

Thanks. I'm a pretty sensitive person and sometimes take things very personally, so even if people weren't talking solely to me, I assumed I was one of the people they meant. My goal wasn't to tarnish Michael's character or anything, just express some disappointment over something I thought I gathered from the interview. I'm really sorry for creating this whole mess.

esoap524
December 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks. I'm a pretty sensitive person and sometimes take things very personally, so even if people weren't talking solely to me, I assumed I was one of the people they meant. My goal wasn't to tarnish Michael's character or anything, just express some disappointment over something I thought I gathered from the interview. I'm really sorry for creating this whole mess.

Hi, Jess. I know that I made some comments regarding comments about MS' interview; as I told one of the mods, it was on the heels of comments about BB (Bridges') interview and ALSO in response to some conversation about an old interview by AT regarding MS' leaving the show way back when (as in, before I started watching!).

Now...that sounds a bit involved. One thing about fan forums is that there's rarely a lack of opinion and, really, who in most of our real lives is gonna take time to discuss this stuff the way people do here?

Anyway, I wanted to say that I'm sorry that my words may have caused you grief or offense because that really wasn't my intention. I just wanted to put my two cents out there primarily because I enjoy reading the actors' interviews, for better or for worse. This may be crazy, but I'd rather hear them just talking off the top of their heads than some scripted, publicist driven stuff that might be more tactful but that's usually less interesting.

Regarding MS' love for Claudia...but, but, but...what about Ben and HIS love for Claudia? Hee. That is a joke, btw.

DarkDesire
December 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM

That's actually the first thing I thought when I saw some people wondering about that. I don't think AT talking about DH means she cares less about MS, RDA, or CJ just as I don't think MS talking about CB means he cares less about AT, CJ, or RDA. (I'd even add that CB still seemingly cares just as much still about BB though I never watched Farscape but I'm just saying that based on what others have said about their relationship.) The issue I think comes more from the interviewers' questions rather than the actors themselves. I've remembered quite a few interviews in the past where the interview specifically would ask MS about his views on Jack/Daniel and RDA where MS would talk about how much he loved that as well. The questions are very pointed in that respect. Had the interviewer asked MS about all of his co-workers in that question rather than just CB, then I could easily see him talking warmly about all of them too. It's just that the interviewer directly asked him about CB because the show really has concentrated more on Daniel and Vala's relationship lately. Just as with your example, interviewers have tended to ask AT about working with DH a lot lately and she'll talk excitedly about him.

The thing is, after 8 years of playing the same characters, of course bringing in new cast members is going to revitalize all of them when it comes to working on the show. It's something different for them to explore and play with as actors which MS actually mentions in the other new interview I believe. I remember on one of the S9 commentaries, TPTB said that the SG-1 actors were feeling a bit restless when watching all the things the Atlantis actors got to do because it was something new and I think they were becoming a bit drained after 8 years at that time. I think besides RDA leaving that this may have been another reason why TPTB changed up the show. However, for those of us who haven't been all that happy about the changes, the problem is that what is fun for the actors to film doesn't necessarily mean it works for the audience (even if it does for some because obviously there are others that love this new direction).

I actually had to laugh though when some people were talking about their parents forgetting their names because my mom is the exact same way. I have four brothers and she's constantly either calling us by each other's names or else she'll start snapping her fingers at me until I finally say my own name. ;)

Pitry
December 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I actually had to laugh though when some people were talking about their parents forgetting their names because my mom is the exact same way. I have four brothers and she's constantly either calling us by each other's names or else she'll start snapping her fingers at me until I finally say my own name. ;)

"Hey, you over there!"
;)

Thankfully, my mum hasn't reached that stage. Yet. :)

Madeleine
December 25th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I call my sons each others' names, and regularly ask them 'which one are you?'. Fortunately they tend to remember their own names.