This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SPOILERS]jumperwith hyperdrive[/SPOILERS]

do you think we will ever see a jumper being fitted with mckay's prototype hyperdrive engine .
    how the hell would they fit it into the back of a jumper ?

I doubt it, for one, the power requirements would have to be at least a Naqahdah generator and building it would probably be impossible for Earth, at least for a few years. Also, what perpose would it serve? A jumper is a pretty small ship with limited ammo (8 drones or so) so it's not like they could attack the Wraith/Asurans with it or something.

AGT58

Comment

mr fusion?

Comment

Erm Jumper with hyperdrive. The most advanced fighter seen on stargate, with the ability to go anywhere. With a cloak, shields, realy fast sublight, gate travel. You realise that a hyperdrive PJ would actually make our team outclass every other race on stargate, including the ancients, in regards to fighters.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

they might be small, and earth tech might not be brilliant - but remember that the fighters earth built are small and based on older tech - yet they can have hyperdrives.

they could serve a function in deep-space recon - after all, not every world has a gate, and not every world is safe to reach via gate.

they could also be prepared as galactic escape pods - ZPM depleted, midway station destroyed (hypothetical) some way is needed to get off the nearly-destroyed atlantis - PJs are perfect.

they can also be used as a stealth-assault approach against the asurans - we can't get there by gate, but we sure as hell can fly in stealth mode, land, and open fire as the doors open.

they can also be used in medical emergencies where gate travel is unfeasible - e.g. a patient too unstable to move via wormhole, or a lot of heavy equipment being ferried.

just my thoughts. but i can see how they'd be useful - if applied correctly by the writers...

ok, so i should stop dreaming, yeah?
          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

I think that they added McKay coming up with the technology add the hyperdrive just so that they could if they wanted to.

And, since we really do not know what next season will be like (without SG-1) there is the possibility that they will need the hyperdrives in the jumpers. So I could see them actually adding the hyperdrives to the jumpers in this case. Other that if it were a necessary plot element I cannot imagine them building it. The power requirements would be really high, as others have said, plus they have the Daedalus and the gates so really, they do not need it.
            Weir: He's just a boy!
            Jinto: I am Jinto.
            Sheppard: She's pleased to meet you.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

well it would be good for hyperspacing through shields for a split second

do it to shielded ships like hataks and ori ships

if that happened then they could take out the ori main weapon with a drones and then shoot back out then hyperspace out before ori fighters get you
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGT58 View Post
                I doubt it, for one, the power requirements would have to be at least a Naqahdah generator and building it would probably be impossible for Earth, at least for a few years.
                What are you talking about? We do have Naqudah generators. We've had them since Season three of SG-1 I think it was.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by belistner View Post
                  do you think we will ever see a jumper being fitted with mckay's prototype hyperdrive engine .
                  what episode is this prototype hyperdrive
                  sigpic
                  Sig For Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cban View Post
                    what episode is this prototype hyperdrive
                    McKay designed on in the episode aired in Canada last week, Tao of Rodney.

With McKay's knowledge of Earth tech, Ancient tech and even the Naquadah generator, I could see one of these small things powering a hyperdrive engine thanks to the what he knows of ancient power sources. I do think we should see this and other developments from this episode before the seasons end, but overall I would rather have this technology used in F-302's.

sigpic

Comment

I rather see them used on the f-302, now that would be utterly *****ing. Fleet of 302s pop out of hyperspace and shoot the hell out of something. Or someone needs to get from A to B without using a gate. Travelling 3 weeks between earth and atlantis would probably suck in a 302 tho...

Comment

Originally posted by belistner View Post

I would say it can be done as an F-302 has a hyperdrive and its not that big when compared. However it will only be a weak hyperdrive and not very big.
                        But where to put it is the thing?

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                        I rather see them used on the f-302, now that would be utterly *****ing. Fleet of 302s pop out of hyperspace and shoot the hell out of something. Or someone needs to get from A to B without using a gate. Travelling 3 weeks between earth and atlantis would probably suck in a 302 tho...
                        As i just said above the F-302 dose have a hyperdrive. Just watch SG-1 eps "Redemption 1 & 2", "Fallen" & "Homecoming".
                        sigpic
                        Banner Made By Me for Me
                        The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

It's doubtful they'd fit the Puddle Jumpers with an intergalactic hyperdrive as some have speculated, the Puddle Jumpers are to fragile, if one gets shot down or captured with an intergalactic drive in it earth would be screwed.

Comment

Hyperdrive does not automatically mean it's an intergalactic one.

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                              What are you talking about? We do have Naqudah generators. We've had them since Season three of SG-1 I think it was.
                              No, I didn't mean Naqahdah generators, I meant building the hyperspace window generator. I don't think that Earth builds any of their advanced tech, I think the Asgard just give them the big things like Shield generators and hyperdrives. I know they build the ships but all the advanced tech is probably not built by Earth.

AGT58

Comment

Working...
                              X