X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Things I Learned About the Universe by Watching Sci-Fi Shows

10 Things I Learned About the Universe by Watching Sci-Fi Shows

1. There are many alternate realities. In any reality other than our own, people will look exactly the same as they do now, except for their hair. Women with short hair will grow it long, and men with short hair will gel it.

2. Time travel is an inevitable step in scientific discovery. But people will only travel back in time, to the 20th century, and almost never forward.

3. Despite the fact that in the past 500 years, the English language has changed so much that it's almost unrecognizable, its finally reached its evolutionary peak and will not evolve any further. In the distant future, everyone on Earth will speak the exact same English that was spoken at the start of the 21st century.

4. Our current physics state that since space is a vacuum, sound waves do not travel through space, and explosions in space don't make a sound. Sometime in the future, the physics of the universe will change, so that sound waves carry and explosions go boom. They're much cooler that way.

5. Homosexuality will not exist in the future. Don't know why, because no one even talks about it. It's just not there (except in hot lesbian make-out scenes).

6. No one tinkles in the future. The need for washrooms has been eliminated.

7. Anyone who's interested in history is interested in the 20th century. No one has hobbies from any other era. Sorry folks, but when we said good-bye to 1999, we said good-bye to anything of interest.

8. The mysterious L-shaped sheets are still rampant. When men and women are in bed together, the sheets go up to his waist, but her shoulders.

9. Alien sexuality tends to be expressed in many of the same ways as human sexuality. Sure seems to help with human-alien relations...

10. Bad guys (and gals) always seem to wear black leather. This is doubly true if the individual is really just an evil incarnation of an otherwise innocent person. Straps, buckles and boots are popular accessories for evil dopplegangers.
    sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Hehe- that's good. Did you make it up yourself, or is it from a site?

Comment

All my own. An amalgamation of about 10 years of sci-fi.
      sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

I'll add one to that:

*) Humanity is always the special and chosen race and despite have weak technology will always win in the end.
        Signed,

Gregorius
        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Any problem can be solved by reversing polarity.

Comment

Aerodynamics is very important in space.

Comment

aliens always speak english
              sigpic

Comment

I can't change the laws of physics
                Leather is also an indicator that you are going to be evil (Star Wars) or were evil ( )
                Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                Caboose: They could be worse?
                Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Earth based Period costume is very popular in the galaxy. Expect a new race of aliens to look rather nazi like, rennaissance like etc......

Comment

So I guess in Farscape almost everyone is evil or was evil.
                    That's all folks.

Comment

11. Most Aliens out there just look like humans with some junk on their faces.

12. Some of them will even speak English

13. You can even screw them, but don't forget to use protection! Alien halfbreeds are in the cards ladies and gents!

14. All aliens will have one note cultures, warriors, monks whatever, and single languages and value systems. They might all even have the same haircuts and cloths.

15. The smoother and shinier it is the more technologically advanced it is.

16. The more "advanced" a personal weapon the less it will look like a weapon and the more of an ergonomic nightmare it will be.

17. Ships will explode when destroyed, yes even if they were sitting deactivated in spacedock and full of nothing but cotton swabs and potatoes.

18. You'll be able to see lasers, if you're lucky and heroic enough you might even be able to dodge them.

19. If you're a starship captain or human from Earth all the women you encounter will be sexy, scantiliy clad, and dying to get into your pants. They'll probably mostly be slightly deformed human women who think they're aliens to. Some of them ming be evil to but they'll also be hot so who cares.

20. Earth is the center of the universe and humanity is special.

21. Every seemingly unstoppable super weapon will be stopped/destroyed with something, anything, other than a simple direct assault.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                        11. Most Aliens out there just look like humans with some junk on their faces.

12. Some of them will even speak English

13. You can even screw them, but don't forget to use protection! Alien halfbreeds are in the cards ladies and gents!

14. All aliens will have one note cultures, warriors, monks whatever, and single languages and value systems. They might all even have the same haircuts and cloths.

15. The smoother and shinier it is the more technologically advanced it is.

16. The more "advanced" a personal weapon the less it will look like a weapon and the more of an ergonomic nightmare it will be.

17. Ships will explode when destroyed, yes even if they were sitting deactivated in spacedock and full of nothing but cotton swabs and potatoes.

18. You'll be able to see lasers, if you're lucky and heroic enough you might even be able to dodge them.

19. If you're a starship captain or human from Earth all the women you encounter will be sexy, scantiliy clad, and dying to get into your pants. They'll probably mostly be slightly deformed human women who think they're aliens to. Some of them ming be evil to but they'll also be hot so who cares.

20. Earth is the center of the universe and humanity is special.

21. Every seemingly unstoppable super weapon will be stopped/destroyed with something, anything, other than a simple direct assault.
                        Haha nice list, especially like #14.....so sadly true.

Comment

22. You will win only if outnumbered. Enemies are more dangerous the fewer of them there are.

23. The more advanced a race's technology, the more manpower it has, the more territory it holds, the more powerful it is, the easier it is to beat. Weaker races with primative technology, only one planet, and a handful of people will wipe the floor with them

24. Guns of the future will do away with bullets in favour of glowing blobs that travel slower, are easy to dodge, and give away your position

25. 9 times out of 10, the planet will look exactly like Earth, or some part of it

26. If you've explored a couple of miles of a planet's surface, don't bother exploring any further, the rest will look exactly the same. Earth is the only planet that has more than one climate

27. Anything exciting on a planet will be located within walking distance of wherever you land

28. If your engines fail, your spacecraft will coast to a halt rather than continuing at a constant velocity as Newtonian physics would suggest

29. Although the blinking lights on the bridges of spacecraft may look pretty, stay well away in combat situations, as they are prone to exploding at the slightest hit and killing a random crewmember

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                            Haha nice list, especially like #14.....so sadly true.
                            Hm... I like it... but it doesn't apply to the Minbari.

And I think #24 is used because they don't want to be punching holes in the hull... which would be... bad... but that's what emergency force fields are for... But, it's still a good point...

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

Originally posted by Elles View Post
                              Hm... I like it... but it doesn't apply to the Minbari.
                              What are the "Minbari"?

Comment

Working...
                              X