PDA

View Full Version : New Stargate Series In Development!!

Pages : [1] 2

PG15
December 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM
So, Gateworld's revealed that a new Stargate series is in EARLY production, and I guess I'll start a thread about it.

Link: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/12/exclusive_third_istargatei_serie.shtml

Comments? Worries? Complaints? ;)

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
It's confirmed, there's going to be a third Stargate series! Check gateworld news!

Callista
December 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if it would be on Sci-Fi or some other channel. Maybe I'll have cable by 2008. If so, I suppose I'd give it a spin. I never really got into Atlantis, though.....just watch it casually (read: almost never because I don't have cable). I wonder if the second movie will be leading into this. Wouldn't surprise me.

Ganthet Jr.
December 14th, 2006, 04:09 PM
WOOOO!!!! Love live the franchise!!

skeezix
December 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Figured it was coming. I'll be watching it I suppose. I'm glad it won't be starting right away, it gives the series a little time to breathe. Assuming SG-1 (original four) doesn't die in a blaze of glory in the movies, I wonder if we will see them in random small cameos.

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Pitty they didn't hint at the concept, I wonder if it will be set in a new galaxy :eek:

kirmit
December 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Wikid news, I really want to know all about it now. hmm if it's scheduled for 2008 that might coincide with the SG-1 movies and be a spin off of them somehow.

sueKay
December 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
*bounces*

yay! Maybe I won't have to replace my franchise fandom like I had to with Star Trek!

Mio
December 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Figured it was coming. I'll be watching it I suppose. I'm glad it won't be starting right away, it gives the series a little time to breathe. Assuming SG-1 (original four) doesn't die in a blaze of glory in the movies, I wonder if we will see them in random small cameos.

Well, no doubt we'll see O'Neill and Jackson in the premier (I'm sure they'd be able to get RDA).....

Forseti
December 14th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting this to come so soon... I mean, if course there would be another spin off, but I figured they'd announce it after the first of the two DVD movies comes out, you know, see how it goes.

Anyways, great to hear the news, I hope they give us an idea of the story soon.

pbell6189
December 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I don;t know why all you aren't more excited, this is like the best news about stargate since scifi cancelled sg1! I'm sure that the show will be great as long as they do the casting well.

MelbournePates
December 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Wonder if it'll be spun-off from Atlantis or the SG-1 stories. I hope it works, i'm always going to be a Stargate fanatic, i need my fix!

kirmit
December 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Wonder if it'll be spun-off from Atlantis or the SG-1 stories. I hope it works, i'm always going to be a Stargate fanatic, i need my fix!

I'm hoping SG-1 so they can keep my lovely milkyway gate on TV somehow :D.

Colonel Sharp
December 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah Baby!

Admiral Mappalazarou
December 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):):):):) I hope Aris Boch is part of the team in it.

Dunno why...

TheAncient1
December 14th, 2006, 04:43 PM
This is fantastic!

I wonder what it will be about. I think it would be neat to do a story about one of the alternate SG-1s that came through in "Ripple Effect", either Dr. Fraiser's reality, or the SG-1 that tried to steal the ZPM.

sueKay
December 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Still beyond angry that they're getting rid of Beckett, but if they bring him back...

BRING ON THE NEW SHOW!!!

lol :D

prion
December 14th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I don;t know why all you aren't more excited, this is like the best news about stargate since scifi cancelled sg1! I'm sure that the show will be great as long as they do the casting well.

I think people aren't showing much enthusiasm because there's no real information past it being in a concept phase, which is a far ways away from actual production. If any of the creative people from the current series (SG1 or SGA) are working on that, that's less people working on the show that presently exists, SGA, which is being mucked about with odd casting. Of course, on the plus side, boot M&M over to that, keep 'em away from SGA, and it could work out, but I sorta see retreaded scripts in the future.

Admiral Mappalazarou
December 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Hold on, Carson Beckett is leaving Atlantis right??? WILL HE BE IN NEXT STARGATE SERIES!?!!?!?!??!?!!? :o

kirmit
December 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hold on, Carson Beckett is leaving Atlantis right??? WILL HE BE IN NEXT STARGATE SERIES!?!!?!?!??!?!!? :o

Well remember the article says it could be as late as 2008 and beckett is going out this season.

kymeric
December 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
First confirmation since b4 sg1's cancellation.

Good news!

Wonder if it will be what they were going to do b4 they just retooled SG1. Heres to hoping for something wild and new like a ship based show (going thru supergates from galaxy to galaxy with normal gates in the holds for ppl travel) Or something akin to atlantis in another galaxy...

I bet it stays close to formula tho. Stargate Commend Take 2!!!!

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I just hope it doesn't use the same template as SG-1 and Atlantis, i.e. Base leader, team of four going through the gate yada yada yada, I want something original...

Admiral Mappalazarou
December 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I just hope it doesn't use the same template as SG-1 and Atlantis, i.e. Base leader, team of four going through the gate yada yada yada, I want something original...

I think that it should be dark and realistic, more like Battlestar Galactica (killing off main characters and random intervals and having shocking things happen most of the time/continuous storylines also)

Mitchell82
December 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Ok YIPPEE! MORE STARGATE YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok so mabey I'm alittle excited. I am glad it's official that Stargate Series 3 is officially in the works. I love SG-1 dearly and while I'm sad it's getting it's swan song it is a sweet song. Sg-1 has had a great run and I am excstactily enjoying SGA despite news of a certain cast change it is still my second favorite show SG-1 being the first. I seriously doubt they will kill any SG-1 members in the movies and it would be nice to see them in the third series as guest spots or even one of them as a permanant member but I think a whole new direction and cast is also smart. I will Indeed tune in just as I did with SGA and I hope I will enjoy it as much and don't see a reason why I wont.

sueKay
December 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I don't like it when shows kill off leads...the only reason I'm still watching Atlantis is cos I got into if during s2, and they're not 'killing off' Beckett...apparently...

If they do I tune out

SG1's greatest strength in it's first five years was that it had the same cast all the way through...it's only been in s9 and 10 that the cast has had a major shakup (with CN, MS and TR being obvious exceptions)

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I want revelations aswell, one thing that was good about SG-1 was the fact that we were always finding big things out, whereas Atlantis seems to be lacking in that regard imo...

pbell6189
December 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM
THE BEST NEWS SINCE SG-1 GOT BUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prion
December 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I think that it should be dark and realistic, more like Battlestar Galactica (killing off main characters and random intervals and having shocking things happen most of the time/continuous storylines also)

Why not just watch BSG instead? I wouldn't bother with a Stargate show if they followed the kill 'em off, dark attitude of BSG.

creed462
December 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yes new seris cool can't wait

Skythe
December 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm very excited. I've been waiting for this announcement for a while, and literally was like "YES!" when i read the RSS headline.

As far as things go, i definently thing they should go with the 'stargate announced to the world' show concept, thats one area in particular they've never had the chance to explore (save eps like 2010, etc) and i believe they could come up with a lot of interesting stories - it'd definently be a plot generator like the city in Atlantis and other stargate worlds in both series.

Also,
new directors.
new writers. (no more plot recycling aka replicators, viruses thx.)
more mature (MA15+, 12 at least)
couple of recurring SG characters (i.e. what mckay/weir were to Atlantis).
and i'll be happy.
thanks.

sueKay
December 14th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I want a show with the laid back feel-goodness of Atlantis with the giddy new discoveries of SG1's early years with a mixed Military/Civilian team and *more* aliens rather than our 'token' aliens.

RealmOfX
December 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
"the new series is in the concept phase"

Do you know how many proposed TV series never make it past the concept stage?? I'll hold off celebrating until funding has been approved and contracts signed.

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 14th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I want a show with the laid back feel-goodness of Atlantis with the giddy new discoveries of SG1's early years with a mixed Military/Civilian team and *more* aliens rather than our 'token' aliens.

and a show that doesn't kill off main characters ever season

or disappear :mckay: :beckett:

Dromag67
December 14th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Yay! Can't wait.

Wonder if it will be a tie in to the second movie coming out.

lily
December 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Why not just watch BSG instead? I wouldn't bother with a Stargate show if they followed the kill 'em off, dark attitude of BSG.

Exactly (no offense intended to BSG fans).

What I want this spin off to be? What would make me watch it?
I'll watch it if the following happens:

- the cast is a bunch of unkown/relative unknown actors (like they did with Atlantis. No big names, no actors who had previously other leading roles)

- not based on Earth or anything related to the Milky Way (I don't want SG-1 version 2)

- not based on the Pegasus Galaxy (we already have Atlantis for that)

- brand new enemies (NO Ori, NO Goa'ulds, no Wraith, etc)

In short, I'm interested in another Stargate show if they do something new like they did with Atlantis in 2004: new cast, new Galaxy and new enemy. I'm not interested in a remake of SG-1 or any other show.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Russian666
December 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Well, this is excellent news, it looks like Sg-1 Could live on indefinately if thats what theyre doing (just changing names).

neoncrazy101
December 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM
i hope its not based off the second movie that involves time travel... not a big fan of time travel.

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
hope it's not on scifi channel :S

Exiled Master
December 14th, 2006, 05:38 PM
:D
I hope they bring in some SG-1 characters too!
I get the feeling that the two SG-1 movies are going to be like Star Trek Generations and Nemesis in purpose, except way better.

Mitchell82
December 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Yay! Can't wait.

Wonder if it will be a tie in to the second movie coming out.

I bet it will. Be a good way to do it IMO.

True!Ancient
December 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Well the leader is bound to be air force like usual and atleast 1 alien to show em around...maybe apollo is the ship who helps them out

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 14th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I get the feeling that the two SG-1 movies are going to be like Star Trek Generations and Nemesis in purpose, except way better.

NO........

completely new cast the new show has to learn to stand on it's own IMO
:)

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM
No airforce please! (unless it's ship based)

Psi
December 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
My theory...

It could be a 'Space Station' type show (like Babylon5,DS9), and the space station would be the current sg1/sga midway space station for the intergalactic gate bridge, which is being built at present, but isnt finished yet.
Coincidence?... i think not

The space station could be used to explore a 3rd galaxy by adding more gates or using a ZPM etc..

L.A. Doyle
December 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
So, Gateworld's revealed that a new Stargate series is in EARLY production, and I guess I'll start a thread about it.

Link: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/12/exclusive_third_istargatei_serie.shtml

Comments? Worries? Complaints? ;)

*squee* I am so excited. I can never get enough Stargate. :D

lily
December 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM

When they filmed SGA's pilot, TPTB said neither Sam nor Teal'c could be on it because, since they weren't characters from the original movie, they couldn't lanch the spin off. Legally, they could only use either Jack or Daniel in the spin-off pilot, the only original characters from the movie, to lanch the spin off. I wonder if things have changed since then (legally speaking).

NO........

completely new cast the new show has to learn to stand on it's own IMO

Exactly. I want something new, with new characters and unknown actors. In other words, I want a brand new show, not characters already established from another show.

Oreo
December 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM
My theory...

It could be a 'Space Station' type show (like Babylon5,DS9), and the space station would be the current sg1/sga midway space station for the intergalactic gate bridge, which is being built at present, but isnt finished yet.

The space station could be used to explore a 3rd galaxy by adding more gates or using a ZPM etc..

I have been thinknig that since the episode.

My first responce to the news is...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! YOU WILL OVER DO IT LIKE STAR TREK!!!!!

But then I remembered that Atlantis was being thought about since like season 3-4.

I do find it funny that this is an "exclusive!" We knew this for years they were gonig to make movies and more TV shows. It's like the DVD movie thing being breaking news, we knew about it already. Some over hyper Stargate fans.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 14th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I can't wait for the third series, I just hope someone from SG-1 and/or Atlantis is part of the cast.

DelTrax1
December 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I'm so excited.....I just can't hide it...oh no..oh no......Wooooo....hoooo.....yay for someone at Sci Fi....Actually it couldn't be at Sci Fi could it...they're not smart enought to do that.

Skythe
December 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I agree with the whole don't 'kill-em-off' thing, but i think the darker theme/tone or more 'mature' tone is important - it will allow the writers to go places they haven't been before and stop this garbage plot recycling thing that keeps happening in Atlantis.

I want a show with the laid back feel-goodness of Atlantis
The fact of the matter is we already have 13 (soon to be 14) seasons of this 'laid back' feeling - even in SG1. I think it's about time they stop producing shows that your 3 year old sister can watch.

- brand new enemies (NO Ori, NO Goa'ulds, no Wraith, etc)
Definently agreed. I think TPTB would never do this anyway, but i think what is vital (or one of the most important) factors to the success of the new show is a good, solid bad guy with some decent motives. The Goa'uld were great, incredibly original for a sci-fi villain (i know, bla bla someone would have done it before but not on that scale and detail) - the replicators weren't too bad, i think the Ori are a fine idea for a villain - but look at Atlantis.

When i started watching it i honestly thought the wraith were kind of lame. Even their name is lame and cliche. There's no dynamic to the wraith, no interesting 'leader' character apart from an uber-queen thats killed off every season or so. And then came the Asurans, and while i enjoyed their first episode (Atlantis being destroyed? Awesome! City ship blowing up? = cool) i'd probably put it down to Gero's directing rather than an interesting bad guy.

Plus we've seen it all before - race creates robots, robots rebel, become threat, etc (Replicators, matrix machines, cyclons, etc etc) - there is really nothing interesting about this villain - just look at The Return - they talk to each other in a boring droppy voice - how interesting is that?

So they need to get this right in the new series. The new villain needs to be original, interesting, have a lot of mysterious elements associated with them - think others from LOST, syler before we found out about him in heroes, the other 5 models from BSG (i know "why dont u go watch BSG1!" - but lets face it - they've done it well).

I want revelations aswell, one thing that was good about SG-1 was the fact that we were always finding big things out, whereas Atlantis seems to be lacking in that regard imo...

Agreed.

Well, this is excellent news, it looks like Sg-1 Could live on indefinately if thats what theyre doing (just changing names).
I don't think this is what is implied, talk of a third stargate series predates SG-1's axing and they already lost their chance to rebrand (aka "Stargate Command" - season 10).

DelTrax1
December 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Does anyone realize that they go down in posts....it's like I get to 874 and next time I post it's at 872.....what is really going on. And I know it's off subject.....but sorry.

Still I hope the show is based on it's own. I think it will be something of a space show episode based on the Alpha Site.

travis
December 14th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I'm really hoping that the new series will have a totally different cast and a new stargate formula.

I hoping on the line of set in the future from Atlantis that we bulid our own version of a City ship and thats were going out to other galaxy to populate as this would be also a reality in the real word. with this kind of basisc concept there are really lot of story potential and new ideals to come from this that the writer would not have recycle SG1 and Atlantis story. Plus this would give us an opportuniy to really meet Aliens(no humannoids) and have them part of the show or even a main character

Dromag67
December 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Mabey Carson Beckett will be a star in the next series? :cameron:

The_Fifth
December 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Yes !!! yes !!! i need two dosis of stargate or i would die xD !!

lily
December 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Definently agreed. I think TPTB would never do this anyway, but i think what is vital (or one of the most important) factors to the success of the new show is a good, solid bad guy with some decent motives. The Goa'uld were great, incredibly original for a sci-fi villain (i know, bla bla someone would have done it before but not on that scale and detail) - the replicators weren't too bad, i think the Ori are a fine idea for a villain - but look at Atlantis.

Maybe you agree with me, but for different reasons :D

When I said No Goa'uld, NO Ori, NO Wriath, etc in the new spin-off, I said so because:

1) I used to watch SG-1 and got very tired of the Goa'uld. IMHO, we've had more than enough of them in that show and I don't want to see them on another spin off.

2) IMHO, the Ori are the most boring enemy EVER. I stopped watching SG-1 because the show bored me to tears. And the Ori were part of the reason it bored me to tears.

3) I like the Wraith very much. I love them in Atlantis and don't want to see them in other show. I want them to remain just in Atlantis.

When i started watching it i honestly thought the wraith were kind of lame. Even their name is lame and cliche. There's no dynamic to the wraith, no interesting 'leader' character apart from an uber-queen thats killed off every season or so. And then came the Asurans, and while i enjoyed their first episode (Atlantis being destroyed? Awesome! City ship blowing up? = cool) i'd probably put it down to Gero's directing rather than an interesting bad guy.
Plus we've seen it all before - race creates robots, robots rebel, become threat, etc (Replicators, matrix machines, cyclons, etc etc) - there is really nothing interesting about this villain - just look at The Return - they talk to each other in a boring droppy voice - how interesting is that?

Well, we disagree here. I like both the Wraith and the Asurans, and I see both of them as great and interesting enemies in SGA, and I want them to remain in SGA, I don't want them in the new spin off.

And I adored The Return.

So they need to get this right in the new series. The new villain needs to be original, interesting, have a lot of mysterious elements associated with them - think others from LOST, syler before we found out about him in heroes, the other 5 models from BSG (i know "why dont u go watch BSG1!" - but lets face it - they've done it well).

Never liked LOST, never liked BSG. Find them extremely boring and the cast/characters/stories don't appeal me one bit.

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM
My theory...

The space station is tiny! :p

JohnDuh
December 14th, 2006, 07:18 PM
It will be a lowcost discount series, about Walter Harriman and what he does on his days off.

LadyBozi
December 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Maybe they can get Dan Payne to star. =] I would REALLY Watch it then. hehe

Quinn Mallory
December 14th, 2006, 07:33 PM
One easy thing for them (the SG-1 production people) to do would be to rebrand SG-1 and have the new show being Stargate Command. I, for one, wouldn't be against this. They can keep Mitchell and Vala and introduce new characters while DJ, Sam, and Teal'c can be recurring characters.

alfakim
December 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
This is fantastic news and I'll definitely be watching!

I don't think the new show should be too "Trekky" - nothing space-based, nothing too different from classic Stargate. I still want to see Milky Way red-chevron gates, with a small team of protagonists.

But I would like the show to spin off from the movie conclusions of SG-1, and I'd like the pilot to have Jack and Daniel, and I'd like the new series to guest star from SG-1 and Atlantis.

And I'd like it to have the Ori. The Ori were so cool and so underdone by just 2 seasons. Something Ori-related would be great.

Basically, stick to the classic Stargate themes: gods, religion, exploration, archeology, discovery, treaties, alien races, and everything else!

berlin88
December 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Here is what I would like to see in a new series.

1. Create a new base and don't use reuse the SGC or Atlantis as the primary base of operations.

2. As mentioned before, have a interesting and creative enemy. The enemy should also be capable of reacting to the strategies used against it. The system lords never considered Earth a serious threat, but the new enemy should be able to recognize when someone poses a threat to their dominance. That also implies strategy changes as well.

3. Have a Deadalus class ship as part of the show, but don't make it a feature of every episode, just save it for specific episodes/ storylines.

4. Have a strong military representation, and consider making it a military led expedition.

5. Keep it an international expedition.

6. Give the international military members some involvement and maybe a couple lines here and there. The international military members in Atlantis are confined to security duties and never say anything. Get them involved a little, at least have one episode where they get to say something or do more than play security guard.

7. Give the team a decent ally. Maybe something similar to the Asguard, where they are rarely seen, but show up from time to time to help us or get help from us.

8. Be like SG1 used to be and spent the majority of the episodes offworld or away from the base. having episodes take place solely on the base is ok, but only in moderation.

9. Here are some possible ideas for the main characters.

1. Expedition Leader (military or civilian)
2. US military officer
3. International Military officer (maybe Russia or the UK)
4. Lead Scientist
5. Expedition Doctor
6. Random Alien or other character

Recurring Characters

Random scientists/ military officers
Sergeant Siler (would be great if they could continue his character)
Whoever commands the Deadalus class ship in the series
IOA representative
Random allies/ aliens
The leaders of whatever enemy the team is fighting

10. Last but not least, don't use the 4 man team as the standard. Make it more like 5 or more depending on the episode.

PG15
December 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM

No. Fracking. Way.

Sorry for being so blunt, but that is not the nature of the Stargate franchise. You loose the humor, you loose the show's spirit, end of story.

I do find it funny that this is an "exclusive!" We knew this for years they were gonig to make movies and more TV shows. It's like the DVD movie thing being breaking news, we knew about it already. Some over hyper Stargate fans.

:confused:

We know people die as well, but you still get news if some famous person kicks it. I don't get your line of thinking.

Pellmelody
December 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Looks like I'm one of the lone voices of disagreement here, but I've been so disappointed with how SGA has been treated by TPTB. They can't even manage Atlantis past a third season without already feeling the need to start getting rid of cast members. You start screwing with your cast dynamic, you lose a lot of what is loved and important in the show. You also lose viewers. And doing it for ratings, as TPTB (especially Mallozzi) have shown in the past, is just piss poor writing and producing, and shows an extreme lack of creativity.

Atlantis has also been poorly promoted since season 1. Why should I want to invest my time in another SG if the same PTB are going to end up do the same thing with the cast and the writing? Personally, the way Atlantis has been managed, I'll be surprised if it manages to get past a 4th season. If it does, it's in no small measure to the current cast.

Psi
December 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM
The space station is tiny! :p

so far, not finished yet.

Also maybe its like a TARDIS, biger on the inside :P hehe

I reckon it would be good to have an anicent cast member in the new show, perhaps JANIS from "before i sleep"

Larry The Chevron Guy
December 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I would personally like to see them do a prequel type show that would involve the ancients, goa'uld, the alliance of the four races (We'd see real furlings!) and basically show how things went down back in the day. In all honesty, another series in our time would be a bit boring. They would end up recycling too much stuff from SG1 and Atlantis. The military thing is a little tired and with a third show, it would just be too much of the same old same old. I think if the series took place 10,000 years ago, it would open up a whole new universe for the writers to work with. No pun intended.

Rootortoise
December 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Looks like I'm one of the lone voices of disagreement here, but I've been so disappointed with how SGA has been treated by TPTB. They can't even manage Atlantis past a third season without already feeling the need to start getting rid of cast members. You start screwing with your cast dynamic, you lose a lot of what is loved and important in the show. You also lose viewers. And doing it for ratings, as TPTB (especially Mallozzi) have shown in the past, is just piss poor writing and producing, and shows an extreme lack of creativity.

Atlantis has also been poorly promoted since season 1. Why should I want to invest my time in another SG if the same PTB are going to end up do the same thing with the cast and the writing? Personally, the way Atlantis has been managed, I'll be surprised if it manages to get past a 4th season. If it does, it's in no small measure to the current cast.
no i agree with you totally!!! i wont be watching whatever the third series will be, i got bored of sg1 and theyre completely screwing around with atlantis in season 4 (even tho imo season 3 has been great so far), i certainly dont want to invest in another stargate series, when theyll no doubt screw that one up too, plus i dont trust them to really come up with anything all that imaginative.
I wouldnt be surprised if this was just another way to keep sg1 alive, rename the third series stargate command and shove all the characters over there, although at least on the plus side they wouldnt be dumped on atlantis.
sorry about the cynical attitude but the way TPTB have been lately, i dont trust them as far as i could throw them!

PG15
December 14th, 2006, 10:02 PM
How can you decide to not watch something when you know absolutely nothing about it?!

Whatever happened to having an open mind about something?

FallenAngelII
December 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Victory! I guess. Let's hope so!

Let's pray that they put it on another network than Sci-Fi. >_>'

Anonmatel
December 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
IMHO they need to start fresh. If it turns out that we find another group of stargates in yet another galaxy i'll be Fracking annoyed.
It doesn't have to be dark(BSG style) but i would like to see main characters making mistakes sometimes, and showing consequences to their actions. Lose some (not all) of the "save the day with a ridiculous plan" type of thing.

I'm not going to be popular with this but.. No Crossovers!!!

CrazySac
December 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM
the rumor has been floating around for awhile glad it will prolly be. I just ask the sci/fi gods just two things Don't let Sci/Fi channel ruin it and please god dont let the show be about a crew on a earth spaceship please god

Re-Horakhti
December 14th, 2006, 10:21 PM
IMHO, the new spin-off MUST be Ori-related. 2 seasons just doesnt do them justice, considering it took 8 seasons to finish off the Goa'uld (and Ba'al is still around!!).

So, we got 2 movies to wrap up season 10. We may get a season 11, but if we do, it will prob only be a half season, maybe 13 episodes. But this will be the end for SG1 - no season 12. The third series will spin off from the movies or the end of season 11.

Two scenarios, both involving public disclosure:

1. We lose. The Priors and other Ori followers occupy Earth, the SGC relocates to the alpha site. The fight back starts.

2. We win. The Ori invasion fleet is defeated. We start exploring the Ori galaxy.

OK, scenario 3: we lose, but we return with the victorious Ori fleet and start sowing dissent in their home galaxy

In any event we deal with the fallout from public disclosure.

Tiletron
December 14th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I don't want to dash anybody's hopes (hell I love news like this if its true), but "a production source" is not the studio themselves or MGM. I would like to wait until it is confirmed.

Besides, if this show's going to be something different but still SG, that bit of news from the source may be an exagerration -- i.e. the studio may have only just started making ideas about it and this person(s) simply overheard them.

FallenAngelII
December 14th, 2006, 10:24 PM
IMHO, the new spin-off MUST be Ori-related. 2 seasons just doesnt do them justice, considering it took 8 seasons to finish off the Goa'uld (and Ba'al is still around!!).

So, we got 2 movies to wrap up season 10. We may get a season 11, but if we do, it will prob only be a half season, maybe 13 episodes. But this will be the end for SG1 - no season 12. The third series will spin off from the movies or the end of season 11.

Two scenarios, both involving public disclosure:

1. We lose. The Priors and other Ori followers occupy Earth, the SGC relocates to the alpha site. The fight back starts.

2. We win. The Ori invasion fleet is defeated. We start exploring the Ori galaxy.

OK, scenario 3: we lose, but we return with the victorious Ori fleet and start sowing dissent in their home galaxy

In any event we deal with the fallout from public disclosure.
Movie spoilers: The Ori storyline will be resolved in the first movie followed by a 2nd movie with time travel. I don't think the third series will have anything to do with the Ori.

Cat_the_Alien
December 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Nothing to important to say, just want to be part of this thread before it gets to 100 pages. ;)

I think its cool that they're making a 3rd series. Trek made 5 installments (6 if you could The Animated Series) and only the 5th one was horrendous. The rest were each good in their own way. (Ok, they started slipping with Voyager, but at least it made it 7 seasons.)

Skythe
December 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM
That's actually a very insightful thought. I wouldn't mind seeing that, maybe i'd put it second to a show about stargate being revealed to earth, but it would have to have some especially interesting ideas to put it apart from all the other space station shows.

1) I used to watch SG-1 and got very tired of the Goa'uld. IMHO, we've had more than enough of them in that show and I don't want to see them on another spin off.
Hmm, perhaps you misunderstand me.:cool:
We have consensus on not recycling previous Stargate villains. I was using the Goa'uld as a demonstration of what i thought were an 'original' and 'interesting' villain - because lets face it - they are a nice departure from your cliche robot/cyborg/random alien villain. And Stargate 3 should have a villain that is at least as interesting as them :)

2) IMHO, the Ori are the most boring enemy EVER. I stopped watching SG-1 because the show bored me to tears. And the Ori were part of the reason it bored me to tears.
I'd disagree here too.
I claim that the Lucian Alliance are the most lame/boring enemy ever.
While the first half of S9 wasn't too flash, i thought the Fourth Horsemen 1/2 were great, as well as Flesh and Blood and Beachhead, and i certainly wouldn't stop watching SG-1 because of one bad villain - heck some of the best eps IMO came along after the Ori's introduction and didn't neccesarily even involve them (Prototype, Ripple Effect, 200, pegasus project).

And I adored The Return.
As did i, but i attributed my liking of it to the excellent work of Mr. Martin Gero rather than the Asurans.

Never liked LOST, never liked BSG. Find them extremely boring and the cast/characters/stories don't appeal me one bit.
I sort of started watching BSG but then my interest waned after a few eps. I started watching it again this season though and i'm finding it increasingly interesting. As for LOST, i've been watching it from the start. If you too, watched it from the start and didn't like it, i'll accept that, but if you just randomly began watching it half way through i won't accept such opinion! It's really not something one can just walk in and start watching :p

You must be, like my gateworld nemesis or something.

BTW: I submitted a story to slashdot about this and it got accepted. Link (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/15/0217213)
Gateworld's servers are gonna take a hit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect), lol

A_F_4226
December 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I can't wait for the new series, well, i guess ill have to won't I. There are just so many possiblities the new series could provide. I hope the new series is based on an International Stargate Program, that way, the show would still be based on Earth and would allow for characters from SG-1 to take part and for Atlantis to have a connection back to earth, which i feel is an important part of the show.

Please, please, please. Don't have the new series based on a ship and its crew, and i don't want to see a series about past events, like the history of the anceints. As long as the new series isn't based on either of those 2 conepts, it should do great.

I have faith in the production staff, they haven't done wrong by the fans so far.

FallenAngelII
December 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Nothing to important to say, just want to be part of this thread before it gets to 100 pages. ;)

I think its cool that they're making a 3rd series. Trek made 5 installments (6 if you could The Animated Series) and only the 5th one was horrendous. The rest were each good in their own way. (Ok, they started slipping with Voyager, but at least it made it 7 seasons.)
If we count Infinity (the animated series), this will be the 4th Stargate series.

Platschu
December 14th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I think that the main characters should be Dr. Keller (Jewel Staite), Vala Mal Doran (Claudia Black) and Colonel Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder) and some 1-2 new character. I would like to see Colonel Abe Ellis (Michael Brach) and Baal (Cliff Simon) as recurring characters.

I hope that the new show will bring back the old exploration feeling. I don't want to see new and more powerful bigger. I would like to see the Milky Way. Different nations, little local wars, new races. etc.

StratoBOB
December 14th, 2006, 11:05 PM
The best news since the cancelation. I really hope the new spin-off will see the light and the plot should be away from anything we seen in SGA and SG-1. A new enemy, a new fresh cast which will means a new personal stories. A new location which will mean new stories. Also a new time location: maybe somewhere in the future or somewhere in the past, durring the ancient times and e.t.c

This is such a victory for us, the fans. First we will have rest of the current seasons of SG-1 and SGA next year, then we'll have a Atlantis 4th season and both direct-to-DVD movies in the fall of 2007. 2008 will come faster with all of this.

p.s. I hope Atlanits will be renewed for 5th season, so we'll have again two shows running in 2008

A_F_4226
December 14th, 2006, 11:11 PM
If we count Infinity (the animated series), this will be the 4th Stargate series.
You can count the cartoon if you want, but i wish to wipe it from all memory, it was just a cheap attempt to make money off of the stargate name.

Pamplemousse of France
December 14th, 2006, 11:14 PM
If it is true, it is a very good news. I just hope it is not just an announcement, like NASA does when it needs money.
I think about two stories:

- an INTERNATIONAL CIVILIAN expedition team is sent to the Asguard galaxy, to learn about their civilisation. Suddenly, there is a new ennemy and they help the Asguard to fight it.

- an INTERNATIONAL CIVILIAN expedition is sent to the now completed midway space station, and for one reason or another, they are stuck there. Coincidence or not, a new ennemy which reign on the planets between the two galaxies find the intergalactic bridge system very interesting and wants it at all cost (I read in the French scientific magazine Ciel & Espace (Sky and Space) that about one fifth of the stars in the univers are outside galaxies. Given the number of stars in the universe, a lot of stories can be written).

A few suggestions:
- No militaries, enough with militaries. A civilian expedition, with one brain per body rather than one brain per commando, is far better.
- More realistic on certain things: seriously, if it was up to me, Sheppard would have been court-martialed a long time ago. Keeping him military commander when he don't obey to a direct order from a General is not realistic.
- An INTERNATIONAL expedition, with people from other countries clearly visible at screen, not dying the firsts, not being stupid or cowards (I remember season 9's "the scourge"... :mad: ). With the Deadalus class ships being payed only by the US (which is not fair), if the other countries involved in SG didn't pay a large part of it, Stargate Command wouldn't even have enough money to pay the electric bill.

Farscapefan
December 14th, 2006, 11:16 PM
One easy thing for them (the SG-1 production people) to do would be to rebrand SG-1 and have the new show being Stargate Command. I, for one, wouldn't be against this. They can keep Mitchell and Vala and introduce new characters while DJ, Sam, and Teal'c can be recurring characters.

I would prefer it to be DANIEL and VALA spin-off with Mitchell, Sam and Teal'c as recurring characters :vala: :daniel:

StratoBOB
December 14th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I would prefer it to be DANIEL and VALA spin-off with Mitchell, Sam and Teal'c as recurring characters :vala: :daniel:

This is a good thing. I like Daniel/Vala relationship but using old characters will limite the new spin-off. I think the best way is to invite all brand new characters in the show due the possibility of new relationships and situations and I'm sure the writers will do that.

Farscapefan
December 14th, 2006, 11:28 PM
This is a good thing. I like Daniel/Vala relationship but using old characters will limite the new spin-off. I think the best way is to invite all brand new characters in the show due the possibility of new relationships and situations and I'm sure the writers will do that.

Vala is definitely NOT THE OLD character. And exploring HER universe would be really great idea.

StratoBOB
December 15th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Vala is definitely NOT THE OLD character. And exploring HER universe would be really great idea.

Well,I'm also one of those who will miss Daniel/Vala relationship but to be guaranted long live for the new spin-off I'm sure the developers will use a brand new base and a brand new cast with some guest apearnces from the SG-1 cast, maybe only in the pilot.

whowalks
December 15th, 2006, 12:38 AM
This is great news :jack:

I wonder if they need a good looking Australian 38 yr old guy with a black but quirky sense of humour.

maybe Maca (me) can be the next jack:jack:

whowalks
December 15th, 2006, 12:40 AM

yer I agree following say Vala:vala: and tealc:tealc: or danial:daniel: around would be cool

flynn1959
December 15th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Me too. I am just not interested in a new show with all new characters. Stargate SG1 is the show I fell in love with, I have watched the odd episode of Atlantis but it is second rate compared with the original. Copies always degrade the more you make.

TPTB will bring in cheap unknown actors, some people might grow to love them, then by the third or forth season it will become too expensive to make and they will start killing them off. Been there done that!

They must think we are all like sheep, that we will watch any old rubbish as long as they throw the name Stargate in there somewhere. Talk about milking it!

I also suspect that Cooper will have a large hand in this, good enough reason to give it a miss i.m.o.

Master_Templar
December 15th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I like the idea of a ship based series, I mean travelling around the universe to the places where the Stargate doesn't go, like Tollana and the 'meaning of life' planet.

More Vala related fun would be cool too. Or go to a part of the galaxy where we are forced into a full on war, large military forces put into the battle, nukings etc.

Re-Horakhti
December 15th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Movie spoilers: The Ori storyline will be resolved in the first movie followed by a 2nd movie with time travel. I don't think the third series will have anything to do with the Ori.

Correction: The CLIMAX of the ori storyline, not its resolution. Even if we defeat their armada and use merlin's gadget on them, their story is not even close to be finished. I would be mortified if they were knocked off that easily.

U assume too much

Nile
December 15th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Wow! It's a great idea to see a new Stargate TV show.

I leave here my little brainstorming ;)

I believe, it's probably that it happens in a new galaxy, who knows, perhaps in Andromeda galaxy? ;) or other galaxy...

And I think that SG team will find a new planet or place that's all about Furlings culture with new technologies and a new international expediton from Earth will live there.

The villains perhaps are inspired in Ancient Rome praetorians with great power... who knows... ;) (I love Ancients cultures, ancient Egypt, ancient Rome...) and they want to get the control of Imperium Galaxy!!! Also there are the mithycal ancient roman gods that they want too the Imperium Galaxy and Glory control. Its slaves must fight in Coliseum... who knows, perhaps Teal'c and Ronon Dex could fight there... :tealc: :ronan: ;)

http://www.imperivm.org/img/articulos/024_guardia-pretoriana_001.jpg

The new allies of SG new team I supose they will have a dramatical past like gladiators...

http://static.flickr.com/63/173022408_bd3e8dcecc_m.jpg

Wow I would like to work with creative department I have so many great ideas... ;) someone knows how to contact with creative department? I'm creative I love creative world.

Also it's interesting to see in tv show all the teams SG1 SGA and the new team... fighting against the enemies.

What do you think about it?

Generally, I think it's a surprise to know what it happens in third TV Show!

Agent_Dark
December 15th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Ideally, this new series should be as far from the current style of show that Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis currently are. For all intents and purposes, Atlantis is the same as SG1 and if they decide to make a third show that is the same again, it will probably feel old and tired before it even begins.

I really hope it's not going to be another 'gate to another universe and find about a long lost civilisation' show. Atlantis is great because it at least varied enough in setting to be different from SG1. But another show like that will have lost it's appeal to me. Same deal with any 'trapped in another galaxy or cut off from Earth' show. I'm also not too keen on any show based in Earth's future. One of the appeals of Stargate is that it is set in a current day Earth scenario. Stargate really needs to move away from the Trek style Space Ship's imo, and going futuristic almost guarantees that.

If it's going to be set on Earth, it also needs to be quite different in style to SG1. I'm thinking a more of a serialised political or drama show than an episodic fantasy/adventure show like SG1 and Atlantis. Having the majority of the show set on Earth in the aftermath of the reveal of the Stargate Program, with all the political and personal fallout and how the characters deal with that could make for an interesting show. It would easily allow for guest appearances from SG1 and Atlantis (for familiarity) while going in a different direction to SG1 and Atlantis. If there is no team at the centre of the show, it would also allow for some quite varied stories for the characters as well as some real conflict between them.

Fabiano
December 15th, 2006, 02:33 AM
No words, simply amazing news, we in Brazil are very happy to now this, let's see what is behind this Gate.

Long life to the Producer. :cameron:

Nile
December 15th, 2006, 02:38 AM
If it is true, it is a very good news. I just hope it is not just an announcement, like NASA does when it needs money.
I think about two stories:

- an INTERNATIONAL CIVILIAN expedition team is sent to the Asguard galaxy, to learn about their civilisation. Suddenly, there is a new ennemy and they help the Asguard to fight it.

- an INTERNATIONAL CIVILIAN expedition is sent to the now completed midway space station, and for one reason or another, they are stuck there. Coincidence or not, a new ennemy which reign on the planets between the two galaxies find the intergalactic bridge system very interesting and wants it at all cost (I read in the French scientific magazine Ciel & Espace (Sky and Space) that about one fifth of the stars in the univers are outside galaxies. Given the number of stars in the universe, a lot of stories can be written).

A few suggestions:
- No militaries, enough with militaries. A civilian expedition, with one brain per body rather than one brain per commando, is far better.
- More realistic on certain things: seriously, if it was up to me, Sheppard would have been court-martialed a long time ago. Keeping him military commander when he don't obey to a direct order from a General is not realistic.
- An INTERNATIONAL expedition, with people from other countries clearly visible at screen, not dying the firsts, not being stupid or cowards (I remember season 9's "the scourge"... :mad: ). With the Deadalus class ships being payed only by the US (which is not fair), if the other countries involved in SG didn't pay a large part of it, Stargate Command wouldn't even have enough money to pay the electric bill.

I think you are right for to see in the new expedition people from other countries.

Agent_Dark
December 15th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Also, for the love of god! No new Big Bad Guy! The Goa'uld/Wraith/Ori all serve the same purpose as each other between the various shows. I want to see the conflict in the show come from between the characters themselves, not from The Good Guys vs The Bad Guys.

Nathan
December 15th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I like the sound of a new series, great stuff.

My one request/hope is that the vast majority of people they find have moved beyond cave-men and medievil type lifestayles and perhaps they are on equal footing with us in terms of technology or even perhaps a little ahead of us.

It's tiring to see all encountered races living agrarian lifestyles.

MediaSavant
December 15th, 2006, 03:13 AM
i think what is vital (or one of the most important) factors to the success of the new show is a good, solid bad guy with some decent motives.

That seems to be so "old school". What seems to be working--looking at this seasons success of "Heroes" and "Jericho"--with 21st Century SF shows is character-driven stories where the motives of all the characters aren't always clear and the stories try to be relatable. Even villains have shades of grey (example: Jericho's Hawkins)

I think that is what is vital to the success of a new show. Make the characters less simplistic and more complex. Make the stories less formulaic and more complex.

Samdelfino
December 15th, 2006, 03:28 AM

That’s what I’m hoping for – that the third spin-off is SG-1 under a new title, like what they were planning originally. The writers say they still have so many good, original ideas; then this would be the perfect series to do all that in. If it isn’t…Well, when I first saw the heading in the Gateworld newsletter, my first reaction was not, “Oh my God, this is so cool!!!” I’m a Stargate: SG-1 fan. Personally, I don’t want a third spin-off that has nothing to do with them. I never got into Atlantis – and I watched the first two seasons, but I just don’t like it.

I’d hate, hate, hate it if the second film (I thought there were going to be three?) was used as a jumping board for a third spin-off that doesn’t include SG-1; it would really, IMO, cheapen the movie. They could throw SG-1 into a new galaxy, as they did with Atlantis, only better. They could be in a galaxy they don’t understand, with alien life forms they don’t know or comprehend, without the familiar SGC at their backs to run back to for safety when they’re in trouble. Again, IMO, I think that’d be better simply because the familiar familial aspect of the show would remain, but everything else would be completely new and different.

If the second movie is about timetravel, as has been said then they could be zipped into the furtire of Earth, or some other planet, whichever, and it'd still be brand new and familiar at the same time.

I’m wondering why they haven’t even given a basic plotline. When they were penning Atlantis, they at least gave a brief summary at this stage; but with the third spin-off there’s not even a whisper.

I don’t want to be cynical, but I’m afraid that if the third spin-off is completely new…I won’t be too interested.

The Lonely Huntress
December 15th, 2006, 03:32 AM
I'm very happy about this news. When was talk about a new Stargate series called Atlantis I wasn't thrilled but, after the seasons I've watched (just two has been aired here, yet), I'm ready for another series.

My wish list:

Becket?!?!?!
Ford
Sergeant Bates
General Hammond (I can hope!)

Probably the movies would set the scenary for the new series. Anyway, I'm happy!:zelenka25: (Put glasses to Zelenka's icons!)

K.TLH.

Arlessiar
December 15th, 2006, 03:39 AM
On the one hand I'm very happy about the news, because Stargate is a great franchise and I enjoy it so much, so there can never be enough of it out there. :) But on the other hand I’m also sceptical and agree with those who see the news with a critical eye.

I won't have much time to follow another series, as I’m already spending too much time with SGA, and I’ll continue to do so as I really love this show (I hope S4 won’t be that bad as I fear atm…). :S But if I have time for a new series or not is my own problem of course.

Mostly I’m sceptical if TPTB will manage to pull of another series without killing SGA or creating a boring imitation of SG1. Who knows what this new show will be about, we know nothing about it yet. All I know is that TPTB already had problems when they were trying to come up with new ideas for episodes for SGA - both for plots and characters. I just hope the third show will not only be SG-2, if you know what I mean. They need new ideas, new enemies, and new concepts for the story and for their lead characters, not the same old stuff they already did a million times.

I really hope SGA will not become the unloved middle child now. This show deserves more. This was supposed to be their chance, the show should have the full attention of TPTB now. It was always my impression that when SGA begun TPTB still focussed on SG1. Even though I wasn’t happy that SG1 ended, I also saw it as a big chance for SGA to step out of the shadow of their big brother. So I have to hope TPTB don't concentrate on the new series too much now. As I said, they should develop new concepts for the new show, and I know that takes time and effort, but they should also try not to forget SGA! Maybe they could hire a completely new team for one of the two shows.

Bye, A.

cyberhof
December 15th, 2006, 04:07 AM
This is my wishlist for the new series:

1. A new galaxy with the Furlings or atleast some trace of them (we have waited loong enuf for them).

2. A new enemy and nothing from SG-1 or SGA.

3. New unknown actors. No one from SG-1 or SGA (even if I would like SG-1 characters to make a guest apperence once and a while).

4. No spacestation, I never liked Babylon5 or Startrek DS9.

Well that's all I can comeup with right now...

But It's gonna be sweet with a new series and I will miss SG-1!

Fabiano
December 15th, 2006, 04:30 AM
A member of the StargateBrasil considered a base mounted in the Moon, with the Gate and places to bring alongside the ships, would be very interesante and to keep the SGC with direct transport for the Moon.

Maybe, discover to use de 9º chevron in the Gate.....

Skythe
December 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Ideally, this new series should be as far from the current style of show that Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis currently are. For all intents and purposes, Atlantis is the same as SG1 and if they decide to make a third show that is the same again, it will probably feel old and tired before it even begins.

I really hope it's not going to be another 'gate to another universe and find about a long lost civilisation' show. Atlantis is great because it at least varied enough in setting to be different from SG1. But another show like that will have lost it's appeal to me. Same deal with any 'trapped in another galaxy or cut off from Earth' show. I'm also not too keen on any show based in Earth's future. One of the appeals of Stargate is that it is set in a current day Earth scenario. Stargate really needs to move away from the Trek style Space Ship's imo, and going futuristic almost guarantees that.

If it's going to be set on Earth, it also needs to be quite different in style to SG1. I'm thinking a more of a serialised political or drama show than an episodic fantasy/adventure show like SG1 and Atlantis. Having the majority of the show set on Earth in the aftermath of the reveal of the Stargate Program, with all the political and personal fallout and how the characters deal with that could make for an interesting show. It would easily allow for guest appearances from SG1 and Atlantis (for familiarity) while going in a different direction to SG1 and Atlantis. If there is no team at the centre of the show, it would also allow for some quite varied stories for the characters as well as some real conflict between them.

I really agree with this.

Pamplemousse of France
December 15th, 2006, 05:19 AM
If I understand your idea, you want a "what-we-usually-don't-see-when-a-decision-about-the-StarGate-Program-is-made" show.
It is a good idea. It would be very interesting to see how decisions are made... what is the relationship between the different countries, the International Committee (I never remember the name of the new international "alliance"), the US militaries... how are built the ships, the weapons, who design them...

SAN66
December 15th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I agree that this show should be a complete departure from the other series, lest they become another Star Trek.

Sci-fi seems to know what they're doing though as their BSG spinoff sounds like its going in new directions.

What I would like to see is an N.I.D. based show.

In the wake of the Gou'ald power vaccum and with whatever happens with the Ori, earth becomes a hub for alien refugees both wanted and unwanted. Baal, the Gou'ald and new friends and foes are all dipping their fingers into earth politics, the trust has grown back into a threat as earth focused on the fight with the Ori and the lucian alliance has established an alien black market on earth.

Its the N.I.D's job to track alien life on earth, and stop any threat to the planet. It could involve some gate travel, but would mostly involve plotlines on earth. They could make Agent Barret a major character.

Iguana775
December 15th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Has anyone mentioned a starship based show? that would be cool.

But I agree with the idea of a post public reveal Stargate...the program will now be public. could make for an interesting show with how everyone deals with the fact that they now know that they arent alone in the universe.

Turboz
December 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I have one word to say about the new show:

FURLINGS

Turboz
December 15th, 2006, 07:29 AM
This is my wishlist for the new series:

1. A new galaxy with the Furlings or atleast some trace of them (we have waited loong enuf for them).

Yes I agree.

No spacestation, I never liked Babylon5 or Startrek DS9.

*cough* Atlantis *cough* :P

Samdelfino
December 15th, 2006, 07:51 AM
If I understand your idea, you want a "what-we-usually-don't-see-when-a-decision-about-the-StarGate-Program-is-made" show.
It is a good idea. It would be very interesting to see how decisions are made... what is the relationship between the different countries, the International Committee (I never remember the name of the new international "alliance"), the US militaries... how are built the ships, the weapons, who design them...

I think it'd be interesting dedicating a few episodes to that, but then it'd be set primarily on Earth -- I do like those shows on SG-1, but I've read quite a number of posts in different threads on different forums about how people don't like those as much. A mix of both - Earth-based and other planets stories would be good. I think for a few people, it could be quite boring by being too scientific or political.

The Ori
December 15th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Hopefully not on Sci-Fi, those scum!! But can't wait to see what the story is and who the characters are, I heard that it will be a spin off from the 2nd movie!!

Arctic Goddess
December 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM

What???? I'm so shocked!!!:eek: :jack_new_anime05: :samanime24: :vala09:

How could you ever suggest not watching Stargate or Atlantis? :weiranime34:

I'm just kidding.

I watch shows even when they start going down hill because I'm invested in the actors and the series by then. But then, I tend to be very loyal as well.

IWKYZerocool
December 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I would like the next series that SG1 get stuck in the future and their are new enemies but we also have very advanced technology like the Ancients.

cyberhof
December 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
*cough* Atlantis *cough* :P

Good point never thought of that... :)

Maybe I finaly found a show about "a sort of spacestation" I like. :)

Lord Balls
December 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM
what is wrong with continuing SG1 instead of creating another spin-off? Granted that SG1 has been getting a little bit stale on some of the storylines but still SG1 was still far better than Atlantis. Stargate is not a Trek franchise where spin-off can work every time. MGM & Sony should really think about this.

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2006, 08:47 AM
It's true it is in the concept phase however this has been planned for at least 2 or three years. I am really looking forward to this and at first when I heard it won't air in '07 in Sg-1's spot I was upset then I relized out of respect I'd rather they wait and not rush things. I think a ship or space station show could be interesting but we still need the stargate. Mabey a green one like the horrirzon gate. I think we need a whole new cast, with a few crossovers, new enemy, and mabey a new galaxy. It needs to be fresh but no matter what the Gate has to play a part.

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM
what is wrong with continuing SG1 instead of creating another spin-off? Granted that SG1 has been getting a little bit stale on some of the storylines but still SG1 was still far better than Atlantis. Stargate is not a Trek franchise where spin-off can work every time. MGM & Sony should really think about this.

Nothing. But after the movies everyone will have likely moved on.

MediaSavant
December 15th, 2006, 08:51 AM
what is wrong with continuing SG1 instead of creating another spin-off?

SG-1 got too expensive.

gange57
December 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
More info about the 3rd series.

Shanks approached to star in 3rd Stargate series!

"Now Stargate SG1 Solutions can exclusively reveal that SG1’s Michael Shanks, who plays Dr. Daniel Jackson on the show, has already been approached to star in the third Stargate series! We were informed by a source close to the production that Shanks would be lead actor and Daniel Jackson the main character in the spinoff."

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=720

prion
December 15th, 2006, 09:00 AM

They simply can't afford it. Legal contracts would probably prohibit reviving the tv series, but basically - they simply can't afford it. The show got very expensive - actor salaries, crew salaries, etc. etc. - and the ratings went down. If the ratings had gone up, it would be another matter, but SG1 was losing audience. That's a bad mix for advertisers and studios.

What???? I'm so shocked!!!:eek: :jack_new_anime05: :samanime24: :vala09:

How could you ever suggest not watching Stargate or Atlantis? :weiranime34:

I'm just kidding.

I watch shows even when they start going down hill because I'm invested in the actors and the series by then. But then, I tend to be very loyal as well.

If a show gets too bad, I bail. I see no use making myself miserable, which is why I quit several of the Treks. Shudder.

Has anyone mentioned a starship based show? that would be cool.

Wait, wait. I see a starship - ENTERPRISE! Yes, a retred of Trek....

Nile
December 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Excuse me I respect the opinions of Star Trek fans but I believe that the Stargate TV Show must be different than Star Trek TV show because there's no reason for to create another tv show with similar characteristics. Star Trek has its own world.

Obviously in Stargate tv show needs the Stargate for to travel to other planets or galaxies and I don't like to see the team of SG in the new tv show always in a ship I preffer that they live in some other planet of other galaxy and to keep the contact with other teams (Atlantis and Earth) for to share informations, militar or combat strategies for to win the enemies etc...

I think that the world of Stargate is created for show to us that Earth is the best planet of the Univers and to win friends...

Stargate forever!!!
:vortex04:

LateFan
December 15th, 2006, 09:32 AM

"Now Stargate SG1 Solutions can exclusively reveal that SG1’s Michael Shanks, who plays Dr. Daniel Jackson on the show, has already been approached to star in the third Stargate series! We were informed by a source close to the production that Shanks would be lead actor and Daniel Jackson the main character in the spinoff."

Well that is definately interesting. If Shanks commits, that will be more weight behind a new show. They must have part of the concept worked out if they want Shanks in the show.

privteercan
December 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM
As long it does not end up on scifi ,,or by any Nbc run network then the show will survive.....

Samdelfino
December 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM
This is interesting, if it's true. I just think it's weird, working on a new series so soon as SG-1 is cancelled. It's too soon. But maybe it's ideas they already had and are now being solidified, hopefully with all the cast.

Larry The Chevron Guy
December 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Nice find. I wonder if it's true. That squashes my idea of them doing a story in the past....Or does it?

The second movie in the series is about time travel, right? That might be the lead in to the new series. This could see Daniel Jackson stuck in the past, or in the future without his sg-1 companions. It could make for a great show for a few reasons.

1. As I stated in my previous post, a show 10,000 years or so in the past would give the writers a whole new arena to work with. A universe with the Ancients/alliance of 4, emerging goa'uld threat (Meaning a minimal but important presence of the Goa'uld), and other races that used to exist back then (Think the Water and Fire creature/babylon, furlings, nox, Giant Aliens, etc. all in their prime!). Some of these races are so interesting but are unable to be expanded on within this time period because they are either extinct, or there are very few of them. Doing a show in the past would allow the writers to open up the stories of these races and give us something totally fresh and new. They created all of this mythos, so why not do something with it! I think the fans would love to see these stories unfold as it would tie up MANY loose ends that SG-1 just couldn't do with it's current need to dispatch the goa'uld, replicators, and Ori (Not to mention the boring political earth based stuff that takes up so much time that could be used to expand upon such loose ends, but I digress)

2. Having Daniel Jackson gives us an established, familiar character that is loved by the fans already. That gives the show good footing already. If stuck in the past (Or there by his own choosing?) Daniel would be forced to form his own team of explorers, and thus we get our new characters with whom to develop unique back stories for. These stories would be unique being that they wouldn't be a military pilot, or a physics genius. Instead they would be more like the back stories of Tayla, Teal'c and Ronan. Totally unique to the stargate universe, but also totally unique to their own time period.

3. Daniel Jackson is the perfect character for this role. He already knows the languages, knows the history, etc. He is well studied in all things ancient history, and to put him right there in the middle of it all would not only bring out the best of his character, but also give him an extra insight that even the people he is working with (assuming it's the ancients) wouldn't have. Having a character from our time would also help keep the humor that we all love in Stargate alive and well.

Caldwell's 2IC
December 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Well, guys, I'm going to wait untill I see the new show to give an opinion. However, I'll say a few things now :

1.- I don't want the new series to be a Sci-fi channel show. I had the bad feeling they'll ditch Stargate Atlantis as soon as they have the new show on the air just as they did with SG-1.

2.- I'd like a brand new cast with maybe an ocassional visit from the other shows' regulars.

3.- Let's keep it light. I don't like dark shows very much, like for instance the new "Battlestar Galactica" ( I loved the old one, by the way ).

4.- Keeping it light doesn't mean a dumb show. Make us think, give us interesting aliens and cool gadgets but most of all, I want intelligent characters ( not exactly an army of Sam Carters, but someone like X-files' Mulder now and then...

5.- Please don't blow up all the ships to kingdom come !!!!

flynn1959
December 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Wonderful news!!! Now I can't wait to watch the new show. Shanks will be amazing as always. Now we need Vala too.

Farscapefan
December 15th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Wonderful news!!! Now I can't wait to watch the new show. Shanks will be amazing as always. Now we need Vala too.

They will be stupid to waste such a great chemistry between MS and CB. Michael even said in the on-set interview (on the ocassion of celebrating 200th episode) that Claudia reinvigorated his passion for ACTING! Daniel and Vala spin-off will be definitely something what is going to glue me to the TV screen! :vala: :daniel:

prion
December 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Well that is definately interesting. If Shanks commits, that will be more weight behind a new show. They must have part of the concept worked out if they want Shanks in the show.

well, they could have part of a concept worked out - it's not unheard of just to approach actors to join a project even when it's not written down.

It will be interesting to see if MS or anybody else from SG1 commits to a new series - it's five years at least. A lot would depend on who's writing as well, I suppose.

grasshopper64
December 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I'm very sceptical about this, but then I'm sceptical about everything TPTB are doing lately:)

I'd like to see a new show with new characters and some new ideas, not becoming an excuse to shift over SG1 or even SGA characters should SGA get axed in a year or two.

Much as I am a Daniel fan I'm not sure I'd want to see him as a lead in a
spin-off, the character has changed a bit too much for me in S9 & 10, and especially not with Vala, sorry not a D/V fan.
Then again a lot comes down to the writing, I'd like to see them get some new writers in for this.

In any case MS is doing other things already and didn't sign for a potential
S11, we're talking about something that won't start until at least 2008.
In the meantime there are two SG1 movies, perhaps more eventually who knows. I wouldn't mind guest appearances by SG1/SGA people to start with but SG1 has had it's day, lets see new characters, perhaps in a completely different setting (not another spaceship thing hopefully)
given a chance.

Samdelfino
December 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
It will be interesting to see if MS or anybody else from SG1 commits to a new series - it's five years at least.

Here's hoping to that one!

Hatcheter
December 15th, 2006, 10:54 AM

I really like your thinking. The Milky Way doesn't certainly doesn't need another Big Bad, and a new spinoff would need a fresh take on the franchise. I don't want it to be another "team of four" or "far away place" setup. Though I would watch it if it were. TPTB needs to do something new.

Except that Baal still has to show up from time to time. That character is the best villian/antagonist they've ever made, and is usable more ways than a Swiss army knife.

The news that Shanks has been approached to be the lead interests me. I'd say, take the story you suggested a little earlier, with the show beginning with a plan to go public. Daniel Jackson is pulled from SG-1 (who could cross his path on occasion) to head up a new task force to prepare Earth's governments to make the announcement, and to prepare the rest of the galaxy for Earth's population being turned loose on it. Said official announcement comes at the end of the first season; give the show an intended lifespan of 4-5 years.

Along the way, he travels the halls of power on Earth, visits the more developed worlds to build coalitions, explores potential colony worlds, deals with various crises among other populations, and helps the NID track down the Trust or the occasional Ori cultist who has snuck into Earth.

And it would be a terrible shame if TPTB didn't bring Claudia Black along as well. She and Shanks are a treat to watch on screen, and would be a magic without the distractions of all the superfluous characters the stories currently have to serve. ;)

ETA: Will the new spinoff, whatever it be, feature the new Airman Battle Uniform (http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060317-F-0000R-001.jpg)?

Oreo
December 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
There are only a few opinions for Stargate shows.

Sci-fi
MGM Channel (Which would be horrible because most won't get it.)
Showtime.

Nile
December 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM

It's a very good new!!!

In SGA tv show I miss the presence of Daniel and archaeology, because I love archaelogy and ancient cultures and I think it's a very good idea that he appears in the new TV show.

Daniel forever!!! :daniel:

cyberhof
December 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Nice find. I wonder if it's true. That squashes my idea of them doing a story in the past....Or does it?

The second movie in the series is about time travel, right? That might be the lead in to the new series. This could see Daniel Jackson stuck in the past, or in the future without his sg-1 companions. It could make for a great show for a few reasons.

1. As I stated in my previous post, a show 10,000 years or so in the past would give the writers a whole new arena to work with. A universe with the Ancients/alliance of 4, emerging goa'uld threat (Meaning a minimal but important presence of the Goa'uld), and other races that used to exist back then (Think the Water and Fire creature/babylon, furlings, nox, Giant Aliens, etc. all in their prime!). Some of these races are so interesting but are unable to be expanded on within this time period because they are either extinct, or there are very few of them. Doing a show in the past would allow the writers to open up the stories of these races and give us something totally fresh and new. They created all of this mythos, so why not do something with it! I think the fans would love to see these stories unfold as it would tie up MANY loose ends that SG-1 just couldn't do with it's current need to dispatch the goa'uld, replicators, and Ori (Not to mention the boring political earth based stuff that takes up so much time that could be used to expand upon such loose ends, but I digress)

2. Having Daniel Jackson gives us an established, familiar character that is loved by the fans already. That gives the show good footing already. If stuck in the past (Or there by his own choosing?) Daniel would be forced to form his own team of explorers, and thus we get our new characters with whom to develop unique back stories for. These stories would be unique being that they wouldn't be a military pilot, or a physics genius. Instead they would be more like the back stories of Tayla, Teal'c and Ronan. Totally unique to the stargate universe, but also totally unique to their own time period.

3. Daniel Jackson is the perfect character for this role. He already knows the languages, knows the history, etc. He is well studied in all things ancient history, and to put him right there in the middle of it all would not only bring out the best of his character, but also give him an extra insight that even the people he is working with (assuming it's the ancients) wouldn't have. Having a character from our time would also help keep the humor that we all love in Stargate alive and well.

Holy crap this sounds great, I wish you were one of the writers, I want to watch this show right now! :)

The Lonely Huntress
December 15th, 2006, 12:47 PM

I wanted to watch the new series! As a fan I deserved another series! But Daniel Jackson?!?!:mad:

My happiness about this new series lasted so little. That's not fair! :zelenka26: (Put glasses to Zelenka's icons!)

K.TLH.

jannagalaxy
December 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Not sure what to make of this....but at first I thought interesting....but why does Daniel have to be there. Don't get me wrong, I love Daniel but I couldn't see him in another SG show.

It might be cool to see another character from the SG universe that people love but not much has been said about them.

But things change all the time...we'd just have to keep our ear's to the ground.

Cameron Mitchel
December 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I really like your thinking. The Milky Way doesn't certainly doesn't need another Big Bad, and a new spinoff would need a fresh take on the franchise. I don't want it to be another "team of four" or "far away place" setup. Though I would watch it if it were. TPTB needs to do something new.

Except that Baal still has to show up from time to time. That character is the best villian/antagonist they've ever made, and is usable more ways than a Swiss army knife.

The news that Shanks has been approached to be the lead interests me. I'd say, take the story you suggested a little earlier, with the show beginning with a plan to go public. Daniel Jackson is pulled from SG-1 (who could cross his path on occasion) to head up a new task force to prepare Earth's governments to make the announcement, and to prepare the rest of the galaxy for Earth's population being turned loose on it. Said official announcement comes at the end of the first season; give the show an intended lifespan of 4-5 years.

Along the way, he travels the halls of power on Earth, visits the more developed worlds to build coalitions, explores potential colony worlds, deals with various crises among other populations, and helps the NID track down the Trust or the occasional Ori cultist who has snuck into Earth.

And it would be a terrible shame if TPTB didn't bring Claudia Black along as well. She and Shanks are a treat to watch on screen, and would be a magic without the distractions of all the superfluous characters the stories currently have to serve. ;)

ETA: Will the new spinoff, whatever it be, feature the new Airman Battle Uniform (http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060317-F-0000R-001.jpg)?
RESPONSE TO LAST SENTENCE: Hope not!

phikix
December 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM
i think that a spacestation like setting should b cool, but it should b like station near the ori supergate, i think that a new story should involve the supergate linking to other galaxy. and since it set in 2008, why not go to other galaxies that the ori took over. who know what can happen in 2 years after the defect of the ori?

HirogenGater
December 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
It will be interesting to see if MS or anybody else from SG1 commits to a new series - it's five years at least. A lot would depend on who's writing as well, I suppose.

Yes it would. Part of me wants many of the old cast in it, but then a part of me says some fresh faces with occasional apperances by the old cast.

Samdelfino
December 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Yes it would. Part of me wants many of the old cast in it, but then a part of me says some fresh faces with occasional apperances by the old cast.

I'd prefer it the old cast we all know and love, with new secondary characters, ^^.

Seeing worlds that were once inhabited, and loyal, to the Ori now learning that everything was a lie, and learning to exist without them could be interesting. They wouldn't exactly welcome SG-1 with open arms, as the enemy; yet they might need their help to regain some sense of normalcy.

Teylarrific
December 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I for one would love to have a team compromised of completely normal soldiers with absolutely no geniuses onbard ,be lost and completely cut off from command ,trying to get home .
With absolutely minimal information and no help they would have to use skill like any commonplace person would use to get home .
There would be zero chance for SG1 appereances but frankly who cares thats what Atlantis is for. It would rely more on dialog and acting than gadgets that save the day.

flynn1959
December 15th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I wanted to watch the new series! As a fan I deserved another series! But Daniel Jackson?!?!:mad:

My happiness about this new series lasted so little. That's not fair! :zelenka26: (Put glasses to Zelenka's icons!)

K.TLH.

Daniel Jackson is the greatest character ever. We should be proud to have a new series staring him. Bring on the Daniel show!!!

Nightspore
December 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Daniel Jackson is the greatest character ever. We should be proud to have a new series staring him. Bring on the Daniel show!!!

Do you mean the greatest character on the show, the greatest character ever in sci-fi, or the greatest character ever in the history of television/movies?

Xanderic
December 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I don't know what everybody said in the last 8 pages but I'm placing my bets on the new series being Stargate Command. TPTB has been wanting to do it for years. Now they can do it. Also, actors won't have to be paid as much since it's a new show & the broadcasting rights for the new show would cost less. Also, Stargate Atlantis & Command would be ran concurrently; Atlantis would still report to Earth.

Forseti
December 15th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Perhaps it will start off based on the Ori's galaxy - we know they are in a different galaxy, and there are presumably just as many planets as Milky Way and Pegasus. Not sure how the show would work, but there would have to be some sort of power that rises up in the galaxy after the Ori's defeat.

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
well i'm kindas spit on this http://savestargatesg1.com/news/?p=513

micheal shanks has been offered the lead role

:S

if it true

Quinn Mallory
December 15th, 2006, 06:12 PM

if it true

This would be quite a great development.

RealmOfX
December 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM

What? You believe unsubstantiated rumours from a fan site????

Yup, I'm still waiting until the show gets out of the concept phase and we have the people in charge making announcements.

Hmmm, a MS rumour started on his birthday. Hmmmmmmm.

Hatcheter
December 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I don't know what everybody said in the last 8 pages but I'm placing my bets on the new series being Stargate Command. TPTB has been wanting to do it for years. Now they can do it. Also, actors won't have to be paid as much since it's a new show & the broadcasting rights for the new show would cost less. Also, Stargate Atlantis & Command would be ran concurrently; Atlantis would still report to Earth.

Which would mean easily keeping Beau Bridges handy for both shows.

hbuddyholly
December 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
OK - my first post ever, so i've decided to post my opinion where no one wants it.

I think SG-1 had a great run, disregarding season 8. Although i think seasons 9 and 10 were an improvement on season 8, the show was getting a bit old-hat. I think the best idea would've been to start anew with Mitchell, Vala and Landry without having Daniel, Carter and Teal'c. Don't get me wrong, i think they'e still great characters, but not like this. Starting a new show after season 8 would've been a better idea. People may have approved of the Ori a little more if they were in a brand new show.

Anyway, I know there's no chance of Richard Dean Anderson coming back for a new show, so i think we can ALL agree that any new incarnation of Stargate should have Hammond and Woolsey! :) and Zalenka!

:hammond:

hbuddyholly

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 15th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Yup, I'm still waiting until the show gets out of the concept phase and we have the people in charge making announcements.

hey i did type at the bottom if it was true :P

i hope it isn't i want new blood

RealmOfX
December 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
hey i did type at the bottom if it was true :P

i hope it isn't i want new blood

Yeah, I'm with you I would like new blood too. New characters, new showrunner, new writers.

i_ascended_yesterday
December 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Someone said in an earlier post that the new show should be about the Ancients. I think this has some potential. It could begin with them creating the first gates and go on to show the first time they encountered the Asgard, Nox, and Furlings, the split between the Ancients/Ori, and the evolutionary development of their mental and physical abilities prior to ascension. It would also be cool if it were to show how and why they colonized Earth. Seeing Atlantis in its prime on Earth would be freakin' sweet!

RealmOfX
December 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
OK - my first post ever, so i've decided to post my opinion where no one wants it.

I think SG-1 had a great run, disregarding season 8. Although i think seasons 9 and 10 were an improvement on season 8, the show was getting a bit old-hat. I think the best idea would've been to start anew with Mitchell, Vala and Landry without having Daniel, Carter and Teal'c. Don't get me wrong, i think they'e still great characters, but not like this. Starting a new show after season 8 would've been a better idea. People may have approved of the Ori a little more if they were in a brand new show.

Anyway, I know there's no chance of Richard Dean Anderson coming back for a new show, so i think we can ALL agree that any new incarnation of Stargate should have Hammond and Woolsey! :) and Zalenka!

:hammond:

hbuddyholly

Nah, feel free to voice your opinion - we all do :D

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'm with you I would like new blood too. New characters, new showrunner, new writers.
well would be happy if brad and Robert stayed ...but i defiantly want a new cast :D

majorsal
December 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM

i wonder how many threads i'll find about the same subject? :p

anyhoo, NO daniel jackson or daniel-vala show for me! :eek:

actually, bring back michael greenburg and let HIM write a new stargate show. *without* the daniel-vala or daniel jackson show thinger.

i know it's all tastes, but really, was seasons 9 and 10 SO wonderful that it begot more seasons? more like the opposite. :(

sally :)

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
actually, bring back michael greenburg and let HIM write a new stargate show. *without* the daniel-vala or daniel jackson show thinger.

i never thought of that :D it would be great to have micheal back

prion
December 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds

-------------------------

GW and Solutions both have independent sources, but I'm waiting to see in the trades that a third series gets the greenlight. 'Concept phase' and 'production' are two totally different animals.

ses110
December 15th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Check this URL for news about the new series.Not sure if it's true.I really hope it's not true.

Hatcheter
December 15th, 2006, 08:26 PM
i know it's all tastes, but really, was seasons 9 and 10 SO wonderful that it begot more seasons? more like the opposite. :(

Never confuse what a TV show deserves with what network execs do. ;)

Hubble
December 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds

-------------------------

GW and Solutions both have independent sources, but I'm waiting to see in the trades that a third series gets the greenlight. 'Concept phase' and 'production' are two totally different animals.

The article sounds a bit strange to me.

It says: "We were informed by a source close to the production that Shanks would be lead actor and Daniel Jackson the main character in the spinoff.

Fans of the actor and the character will be thrilled to note that Shanks was approached to star in the spinoff before the concept has even been firmed up!"

Then they say:

"The many fans of the sizzling chemistry between Daniel Jackson and the roguish Vala Mal Doran, played by Claudia Black, will no doubt be gearing up to lobby The Powers That Be at Bridge Studios in Vancouver urging Wright and Cooper to secure Shanks and Black as their male and female leads."

If Shanks has already been offered the lead, why would his fans be gearing up to lobby PTB/Wright and Cooper to secure Shanks as the male lead?

tagger
December 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM

Agree!:)

Dromag67
December 16th, 2006, 12:45 AM

All about money, the longer the show goes on and the cast and crew stick on it, the more money it costs.

If they rename the show and get a couple new characters it will be immensly cheaper.

From MGM/Sony's perspective making a spin-off would be a wise monetary decision.

Whether or not it will be of great quality is unknown.

Pamplemousse of France
December 16th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I agree, it would have been the best solution. Now I'm afraid that the Orii problem will be resolved too quickly (2 seasons and a telefilm for the Orii, 8 seasons for the Goa'uld, it's not logical). Starting a new show after SG season 8 rather that doing seasons 9 and 10 would have allowed more stories. Now I feel that the potential of the Orii story have been wasted.

... and Dr Lee. I want Dr Lee, I love this character.

Samdelfino
December 16th, 2006, 01:49 AM

I also agree to this one.

Or, as another spin on some of the above ideas to give a few people what they wanted...a spin-off set in the Ori's galaxy, and the team trapped there. The new faces would be the natives, the Ori believers, including a main "team" from the "bad" side; but also include the familiar faces of SG-1. It'd be pretty much even on what both sides want - new faces but SG-1 still there. It could create, not just one bad guy but a group that are potentially just as good as SG-1, therein producing more problems for the good guys.

SG-Lurker
December 16th, 2006, 04:48 AM

It says: "We were informed by a source close to the production that Shanks would be lead actor and Daniel Jackson the main character in the spinoff.

Fans of the actor and the character will be thrilled to note that Shanks was approached to star in the spinoff before the concept has even been firmed up!"

Then they say:

"The many fans of the sizzling chemistry between Daniel Jackson and the roguish Vala Mal Doran, played by Claudia Black, will no doubt be gearing up to lobby The Powers That Be at Bridge Studios in Vancouver urging Wright and Cooper to secure Shanks and Black as their male and female leads."

If Shanks has already been offered the lead, why would his fans be gearing up to lobby PTB/Wright and Cooper to secure Shanks as the male lead?

That is a very good question. A possibility is that they are trying to stir up support for Daniel and as was seen in the manic save Daniel campaign of yesteryear - the truth is sometimes warped beyond recognition. Who knows?? I'm wating for confirmation from official sources.

Personally I would like another series (if it actually makes it out of Concept Stage and into production) to take off in a totally new direction with all new characters, and some new writers and no RCC as showrunner. Something new and mature, no more frat boy excuses for humour and NO MORE homages.

Samdelfino
December 16th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Personally, though, thinking about it, I don't know how they can start pitching a new series - unless it is their original idea of SG-1 under a new title - when the second half of the series hasn't even started yet. They should know well enough how quickly things can change, as has happened with Stargate: SG-1 before. As it has been suggested, though I don't know whether it is true, it [this third idea] is something they've thought about; and the new title idea is the only thing they've announced as a possibility in recent months.

If the rumour about MS being in the show is true, I'm hoping its just a tidbit, and the rest will follow but it's being kept under wraps.

prion
December 16th, 2006, 05:21 AM
That is a very good question. A possibility is that they are trying to stir up support for Daniel and as was seen in the manic save Daniel campaign of yesteryear - the truth is sometimes warped beyond recognition. Who knows?? I'm wating for confirmation from official sources.

Personally I would like another series (if it actually makes it out of Concept Stage and into production) to take off in a totally new direction with all new characters, and some new writers and no RCC as showrunner. Something new and mature, no more frat boy excuses for humour and NO MORE homages.

When MGM makes an announcement in a non-fan venue, then you'll know it's real.

As for no more frat boy humor, well, you'll need to get rid of most of the writing staff to get that wish, and I don't think that certain people are willing to let go.

Nile
December 16th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I would like to see in the new TV show that it keeps the humoristic situations and appears some kind of pet (cat, dog, hamster, monkey, turtule, parrot, bird, squirrel, others...) douphin like in SeaQuest tv show for example... ;) or some other kind of alien pet that it could help to the SG team and it lets to get humoristic situations too.

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/squirrel_soldier.jpg

Pamplemousse of France
December 16th, 2006, 07:16 AM
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/squirrel_soldier.jpg
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

stargatesg1uk
December 16th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I'm sure the new series will have a 'Star Gate' in it somewhere... so I say have Walter to open the gate. ;)

DeeKayP
December 16th, 2006, 07:26 AM

He's been offered the lead in the new series, but has not accepted. His fans would most likely want to know how they can show him support as he makes his decision.

chocdoc
December 16th, 2006, 07:58 AM
He's been offered the lead in the new series, but has not accepted. His fans would most likely want to know how they can show him support as he makes his decision.

I considered all the actors leads in SG-1. Does Solutions mean that MS has been asked to be THE LEAD, or one of the leads? I'm sure they checked with their source, but it says someone close to production, not from production themselves. Also, this site claimed that AT was a recurring cast member in season 9 because she was missing for five episodes in SG-1, but MS was not reported as a recurring cast member for season 10 when he is missing four episodes. I guess I've seen the misrepresentation of the cast members' positions on this site--I don't think it is malicious--just not completely accurate. And now it seems that this site is promoting Daniel/Vala--it has an agenda. I don't see the agenda in the GW report on the third series. Does that make sense?

leelakin
December 16th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I agree!
There's NO WAY I am going to give this new show a chance if they mess up SGA as well. No way.

Luz
December 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I agree!
There's NO WAY I am going to give this new show a chance if they mess up SGA as well. No way.

I'm probably going to stick with SGA 'till the bitter end when it gets cancelled in season four, but I'm never watching anything by this people ever again.

flynn1959
December 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Do you mean the greatest character on the show, the greatest character ever in sci-fi, or the greatest character ever in the history of television/movies?

YES!!!!

I just love the character, always have right from the movie.

flynn1959
December 16th, 2006, 08:17 AM

anyhoo, NO daniel jackson or daniel-vala show for me! :eek:

It was to me, Daniel and Vala, Teal'c even Mitchell were all great and it was really good to finally see Carter without the dreadful specter of a fake ship hanging over her head I almost grew to like her again with dumb Jack out of the way.

Ten seasons is an amazing feat and with Daniel as lead of the new show who knows we could all get another ten!! Bring it on.

Hubble
December 16th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Nothing personal, but I still think the article was odd. Instead of just conveying information, it sounded like a mixture of information and a PR attempt. The bit about noting that a gig in which one is the lead, etc. would go a long way in a resume and impress employers for future gigs. The part about MS being savvy and being known only for accepting parts that have "legs" - shows that go for more than a year, the part about urging PTB to get MS and CB as co-leads smells of something else. If this article just had the information and not all the other PR/rah, rah stuff, I'd be inclined to take it more seriously, as the work of professionals.

As for showing their support - judging by the many people who go to his conventions (some people repeatedly), it's my opinion that MS knows his fans support him and love him as Danniel Jackson. However, his decision to take the role or not (if it has been offered), should be a personal decision (his and his family) and I think e-mails from all his fans urging him to take this role could possibly be undue pressure. Yes, I believe fan support was part of the reason he was asked back in S7, and I know he is grateful to fans for that, but it may be time for him to spread his wings and try other things....or not. I just find this "campaign mentality" to be distasteful.

My opinion.

Farscapefan
December 16th, 2006, 08:36 AM
YES!!!!

I just love the character, always have right from the movie.

Agree, Daniel Jackson was my absolutely fav in the original Stargate movie and I really didn't like O'Neill (and I still don't like him on the series). I want to see the ARCHEOLOGIST Daniel again with Vala by his side helping him :vala: :daniel:

lunarleviathan
December 16th, 2006, 08:40 AM
The article about MS on Save Stargate SG-1 is pure speculation. It's retarted to believe that he would be approached to star in a concept that hasn't even been developed yet. It's fair to say that any concept too similar to SG-1 (a team in the present day going offworld) or Atlantis (about an offworld base of operations) would not get funding. A third series requires to be an entirely new spin on the Stargate concept, so there is no way to know before developing that concept if the character Daniel Jackson even fits into it.

Daniel is a great character though, and MS is a top notch actor. It would be pretty neat to have more of him in a third series - but not at the cost of building a weak concept around him in an attempt to hold onto fans. TPTB are not moronic amateurs, they wouldn't attempt it.

ShardsofGlass
December 16th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Nothing personal, but I still think the article was odd. Instead of just conveying information, it sounded like a mixture of information and a PR attempt. The bit about noting that a gig in which one is the lead, etc. would go a long way in a resume and impress employers for future gigs. The part about MS being savvy and being known only for accepting parts that have "legs" - shows that go for more than a year, the part about urging PTB to get MS and CB as co-leads smells of something else. If this article just had the information and not all the other PR/rah, rah stuff, I'd be inclined to take it more seriously, as the work of professionals.

As for showing their support - judging by the many people who go to his conventions (some people repeatedly), it's my opinion that MS knows his fans support him and love him as Danniel Jackson. However, his decision to take the role or not (if it has been offered), should be a personal decision (his and his family) and I think e-mails from all his fans urging him to take this role could possibly be undue pressure. Yes, I believe fan support was part of the reason he was asked back in S7, and I know he is grateful to fans for that, but it may be time for him to spread his wings and try other things....or not. I just find this "campaign mentality" to be distasteful.

My opinion.

I totally agree with you. I don't think the article is very well written, and it's clearly from a fan point of view -- a Daniel Jackson and Vala fan point of view. But Stargate Solutions is a fan site and hardly a neutral third-party site, like TV Guide or something, so I'm not sure what's wrong with them having a biased point of view and with expressing that in an "article" about the new series. And they're not journalists either, so I don't expect a really well-written article.

I think the important thing with something like this is to take "news" from it and ignore the rest.

As far as the spin-off goes with Daniel as the main character, I really don't have an opinion. It could be really good, like Frasier, or it could be not great, like Joey. I mean, I remember when Cheers was going off the air and I heard that Frasier was going to get his own show, I never, ever would've thought it would be any good. But I think I may have enjoyed it more than Cheers, to be honest. So, I'm just going to keep an open mind until I hear more.

M2W
December 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I'm probably going to stick with SGA 'till the bitter end when it gets cancelled in season four, but I'm never watching anything by this people ever again.

Ouch! That hurts my heart! Let's not be overly pessimistic.

ShardsofGlass
December 16th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I think it's quite believable to build a show around a particualr star. If the writers want to do a show with Daniel, then they'll need to know right away if MS is interested or not. OTherwise, they're just wasting their time.

Plus, for all we know, the producers have approached other cast members about spin-offs to see if they were interested, but those cast members said no. Unless TPTB go with brand new characters, they have to find out if the actors are interested. It's only logical.

When shows like Joey and Fraisier were planned, I'm sure the producers asked Kelsey Grammar and Matt LeBlanc if they were interested before they decided to go in those directions.

chocdoc
December 16th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I totally agree with you. I don't think the article is very well written, and it's clearly from a fan point of view -- a Daniel Jackson and Vala fan point of view. But Stargate Solutions is a fan site and hardly a neutral third-party site, like TV Guide or something, so I'm not sure what's wrong with them having a biased point of view and with expressing that in an "article" about the new series. And they're not journalists either, so I don't expect a really well-written article.

I think the important thing with something like this is to take "news" from it and ignore the rest.

As far as the spin-off goes with Daniel as the main character, I really don't have an opinion. It could be really good, like Frasier, or it could be not great, like Joey. I mean, I remember when Cheers was going off the air and I heard that Frasier was going to get his own show, I never, ever would've thought it would be any good. But I think I may have enjoyed it more than Cheers, to be honest. So, I'm just going to keep an open mind until I hear more.

I think the issue is that you cannot tell if the "news" is accurate because it is surrounded by information that has an agenda. I agree that it is not wrong for a site to put their slant on it, but how do you know if the news is accurate or not? Has MS been asked to be THE MALE LEAD or a lead? And if he is asked to be THE MALE LEAD, then we probably can assume that Ben Browder will not be asked to be in the third series.

ShardsofGlass
December 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I think the issue is that you cannot tell if the "news" is accurate because it is surrounded by information that has an agenda. I agree that it is not wrong for a site to put their slant on it, but how do you know if the news is accurate or not? Has MS been asked to be THE MALE LEAD or a lead? And if he is asked to be THE MALE LEAD, then we probably can assume that Ben Browder will not be asked to be in the third series.

I think when people talk about "the lead" like that they're referring to the main character, the one who's first in the credits, the RDA of the spin-off. Which does mean that Ben Browder would not be in the third series, imo.

flynn1959
December 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Well I trust the site, we will all just have to wait and see if MS says yes. Fingers crossed!

flynn1959
December 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I think when people talk about "the lead" like that they're referring to the main character, the one who's first in the credits, the RDA of the spin-off. Which does mean that Ben Browder would not be in the third series, imo.

Good, I know that Mitchell wasn't very well received it would be silly to try to build a show around the character. Daniel is and always has been wildly popular, TPTB know that. They will need a strong lead for the new show. Daniel/MS is the right man for the job.

M2W
December 16th, 2006, 09:03 AM

That's because they know that Browder's possibly becoming the Yoko Ono of science fiction. I love him personally, but one of my first thoughts when he was added to SG-1 was "Hmm... this show's going to get cancelled."

chocdoc
December 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I think it's quite believable to build a show around a particualr star. If the writers want to do a show with Daniel, then they'll need to know right away if MS is interested or not. OTherwise, they're just wasting their time.

Plus, for all we know, the producers have approached other cast members about spin-offs to see if they were interested, but those cast members said no. Unless TPTB go with brand new characters, they have to find out if the actors are interested. It's only logical.

When shows like Joey and Fraisier were planned, I'm sure the producers asked Kelsey Grammar and Matt LeBlanc if they were interested before they decided to go in those directions.

Good point. How do we know if other cast members haven't been asked first? We really don't know this information.

ShardsofGlass
December 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM
That's because they know that Browder's possibly becoming the Yoko Ono of science fiction. I love him personally, but one of my first thoughts when he was added to SG-1 was "Hmm... this show's going to get cancelled."

I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. He came into SG in its 9th season -- of course it's going to be cancelled soon! How long would you expect it to last, fcol? The opposite could be argued just as easily -- that because Ben came into SG, it lasted another two years instead of being cancelled after 8 seasons. Or with FS, you could argue that the success of his character helped bring in enough ratings for the show to continue for 4 years instead of being cancelled after one.

Luz
December 16th, 2006, 09:13 AM
They will need a strong lead for the new show. Daniel/MS is the right man for the job.
He didn't do much for SG1.

lunarleviathan
December 16th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Good, I know that Mitchell wasn't very well received it would be silly to try to build a show around the character. Daniel is and always has been wildly popular, TPTB know that. They will need a strong lead for the new show. Daniel/MS is the right man for the job.

Disagree. You can't just take the popularity of a character without taking into account the reality of the world in which the Stargate exists and the team-dynamic that it forces.

Daniel Jackson could be "a" lead character, but never "the" lead character. The only way to have his character as an individual without messing with established reality is having the show be more about him and less about offworld travel. This wont happen. He can never be the lead in a team-dynamic show either, his character doesn't fit the role - not designed to be the lead in that setting.

Any character can be the focus of a show, but usually this means doing something totally different. Someone gave the example of Cheers and Fraiser - Cheers was a show about a bar community, Frasier was largely about an individual character. The lead character of Cheers was Sam, to make a spin off about Fraiser and put him in the role of Sam - the centre of a community - wouldn't have worked because his character didn't fit.
The same is true in the current situation. The team-dynamic of Stargate cannot be avoided, it is the established reality. In order to make a character other than a team leader the centre of a concept you need to stop going through the gate every episode. Not going to happen.

full.infinity
December 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM
He's currently "second lead" on SG-1 because his name appears last with an "as Daniel Jackson" bit. If he's "lead" on the new series that just means his name will appear first.

Ancala
December 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Although it's nice to hear a third series might be on it's way, it' wasn't a complete shock to hear it, because we heard something in those lines in may. (check http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/05/mgm_planning_stargate_film_third.shtml)

I do hope like others that we get something real new and always thought it could be interesting to see how the universe evolved with the rise of the stargates, the emerging of the goa'uld, the disappearance of the Ancients, the Alliance of the 4 races etc.

Also, a show with a space station could be interesting, but then I wouldn't place it between Milky Way and Pegasus, but on a totally new location.

About characters, I wouldn't like to see someone from SG-1 or Atlantis being a lead of the show, but an occasional appearance could be nice. (in the likes of O'Neill in the return, or like the Pegasus Project).

I guess we'll see how it turns out along the way. Hopefully we're in for a surprise (meaning a nice suprise of course.)

DeltaFlyer
December 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Sorry, could you just clarify something for me.

Do you mean he was offered but has not accepted YET, but is still considering it, or has turned down the offer full stop. Only I think there's quite an important distinction between the two, especially since it has caused such a highly charged response from both the antis and the pros.. If he has turned down the offer, then all this furore has been totally unnecessary, and there are a huge amount of MS fans who will be bitterly disappointed after having had their hopes raised. Of course, if it is that he's still in the thinking about it stage, then that's a different kettle of fish.

Thanks - Delta.

PS, I'm a rabid Daniel/MS fan, but, if he feels his time with Stargate is over, then I wish him well for whatever he does in the future, and hope we get to see him in some really good movies/shows that make their way to our TV screens in the UK ;)

lunarleviathan
December 16th, 2006, 09:27 AM
He's currently "second lead" on SG-1 because his name appears last with an "as Daniel Jackson" bit. If he's "lead" on the new series that just means his name will appear first.

The subtext of the article is hinting towards a show based around his character. Hence the even wilder speculation than the article itself about Vala being included as his sidekick.

ShardsofGlass
December 16th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Sorry, could you just clarify something for me.

Do you mean he was offered but has not accepted YET, but is still considering it, or has turned down the offer full stop. Only I think there's quite an important distinction between the two, especially since it has caused such a highly charged response from both the antis and the pros.. If he has turned down the offer, then all this furore has been totally unnecessary, and there are a huge amount of MS fans who will be bitterly disappointed after having had their hopes raised. Of course, if it is that he's still in the thinking about it stage, then that's a different kettle of fish.

Thanks - Delta.

PS, I'm a rabid Daniel/MS fan, but, if he feels his time with Stargate is over, then I wish him well for whatever he does in the future, and hope we get to see him in some really good movies/shows that make their way to our TV screens in the UK ;)

I think all we know at this point is that TPTB wanted him to be the lead of the new spin-off series. That's all. (Assuming we want to believe the news, of course.) So that tells me that we don't kow whether or not he's turned down or accepted the role. I'm assuming he's thinking about it, but we don't konw anything for sure.

grasshopper64
December 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM

It's a good point. The article felt a bit objective to me, ok fine it's a fan site etc, but the bit about "sizzling chemistry" that's a matter of opinion, sure some people might like Daniel/Vala together but there are also a number who find them annoying together, don't see the apparent "chemistry" and won't be watching this show if they are both there, JMO.
Whatever, why mention Vala at all, has CB been approached do we know? It's all just speculation at this stage as far as I'm concerned.

keshou
December 16th, 2006, 10:50 AM

My opinion.
I totally agree with you as well (echoing ShardsofGlass). I don't doubt that the author of the article (Alison) has sources. Her site has broken news before on the new direction for S9 and and I believe Solutions came up with the original info on TPTB looking at Louis Gossett Jr, etc for parts in S9.

However, it makes it difficult to find the actual "news" in the story when it's full of so much fanwanking surrounding the news. And you've mentioned the parts of the article above that I found myself rolling my eyes at. :rolleyes:

And frankly, I'm not sure this is good for MS or not to have this become general knowledge so early (assuming it's true). If I were considering continuing on with the franchise I would certainly like to know the concept, etc. and how they plan on building the new cast and characters. And I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't want to test the waters in pilot season down in LA - I believe he's even mentioned that at cons. And it might be nice to do all that without fans getting involved pressuring him to accept (or *not* accept for all the Daniel/MS dislikers ;) ) As you say, it's a personal decision for him and his family.

I was totally shocked yesterday when I read the news about MS possibly being in the new series. But after thinking this over - and reading golfbooy's excellent post over in the Samanda thread - I think I better understand why TPTB might be considering this. If they truly feel that the core characters they developed on SG-1 are their strongest work then it would make sense to utilize them to "shore up" their new projects. Sam on Atlantis, Daniel on the new series.

I've personally always felt that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c were developed as supporting characters and that's how they work best. It was all about the team for me . However, one of the instances when I felt that Daniel *might* work as a "lead character" was in "Moebius" when they did the time travel stuff. When the team travelled back and met original Daniel stuck in Egypt he actually came across as the character with the most gravitas in those scenes. But for the most part I usually don't see Sam, Daniel or Teal'c as "lead characters" - I see them as strong parts of an ensemble cast who all worked best when they were interacting with Jack.

Anyway, very good points you made Hubble.

M2W
December 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. He came into SG in its 9th season -- of course it's going to be cancelled soon! How long would you expect it to last, fcol? The opposite could be argued just as easily -- that because Ben came into SG, it lasted another two years instead of being cancelled after 8 seasons. Or with FS, you could argue that the success of his character helped bring in enough ratings for the show to continue for 4 years instead of being cancelled after one.

Do I smell a Ben Browder fan? :) First, I meant that all rather light hearted. Damn the internet and its inability to communicate emotion! Second, I said "possibly". And its not because he isn't talented. I love him. I think he's a fantastic actor... on the right show. He was amazing on FarScape. I've said that in other threads. I just don't believe he fit in on SG-1, as he was written. It felt to me that they didn't create a new character, they just brought over John Crichton and gave him a new name. That's not Browder's fault though. And perhaps he is why SG-1 lasted awhile longer, or perhaps it lasted as long as it did because they weren't ready to battle the fans over a cancellation. Or they just wanted to squeeze the life out of it and get all they could from it just like what was done with The X Files. But anyways, once more, mostly joking when I said that. Mostly.

Pitry
December 16th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Hmpf. I'll have to read the 10 pages created over the weekend (20 by tomorrow, no doubt) later, jsut a couple of random thoughts first.

I'd love to see a third spin off. I'm really hope they got a green light for another show.
However... no, I don't like the Solutions added part of the news.
Daniel Jackson is my favourite character on SG1, and had been so since the day I've seen... well, the movie. I've been enjoying seasons 9 and 10 tremendously and love the direction the show has went.
But I don't liek the idea of the third spin off spinning off in that direction. I can think of a thousand different directions this could go on, all of them are, quite frankly, bad.
Maybe I'm a pessimist.

I would have loved seeing the character guest appearing both in SGA and the new show. But the heart of the character is set in SG1. In order to remain true to the character's inner wrking - or at least, what I feel is the charazcter's inner mechanism - they have to accept that throwing him in some other situation is either going to end up in a very dysfunctional character, a soap opera, or a character that isn't Daniel Jackson.

Ah, well. It's way too early to tell. First, I wasn't thrilled with the ideas of season 9 when they were released, adns econd - well, who knows if he'll even take the role? As far as the vibe I got fmo MS' interviews, he sounds as if he's willing to be finished off with Stargate. We'll see. I can see why you'd transfer characters - SGA is a good exaple of a show that started with rather weak characterisation, which I woudl ratehr be avoided for the third. But having a main lead from a differnet show doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the characters woudl recieve the time they deserve. They can all be made compelte, 3D characters with or without an already developed lead.
Oh, and TBH, I suspect - that might just be me, tho - that as a basis for a spin off, transferring Teal'c as a main lead could work better.
Oh, but I guess we'll see.

(As for the spirit of the article in Solutions, it might do well to remember the site was born out of the SaveDanielJackson campaign... yup, I rolled my eyes as well, but it's not like they ever pretended to be anythign else.)

EDIT: oh, no greenlight. Pitry: read more carefully next time. Yup.

STC
December 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE
I've personally always felt that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c were developed as supporting characters and that's how they work best. It was all about the team for me . However, one of the instances when I felt that Daniel *might* work as a "lead character" was in "Moebius" when they did the time travel stuff. When the team travelled back and met original Daniel stuck in Egypt he actually came across as the character with the most gravitas in those scenes. But for the most part I usually don't see Sam, Daniel or Teal'c as "lead characters" - I see them as strong parts of an ensemble cast who all worked best when they were interacting with Jack.

Anyway, very good points you made Hubble.[/QUOTE]

YES!! FINALLY!! Someone who sees it like I do! I loved the original team chemistry with RDA/Jack as lead and Sam, Teal'c and Daniel as supporting characters. I've never thought the characters were developed enough of the actors portraying them were strong enough on their own to be leads.

Since RDA left the humour is gone and so is the team chemistry. Jack is the character that most fans want to watch; if not the ratings wouldn't have soared when he made his guest appearances. Unfortunately retirement from acting hasn't exactly been in RDA's favour in that now all he seems to want to play is 'dumb Jack'. If he's going to do that everytime he's on the show IMHO he isn't adding to the quality; his humour is welcome any day, but stupid Jack can stay in Malibu.

As for the new show, I love MS and particularly Daniel. He's very three dimensional and a well developed character and too good to lose, but he's just not a lead. Strictly MHO.

I can't even begin to imagine what the TPTB could possibly offer in a new show. I can't stand the show now as the Bori bore me, and I'm not fond of Landry et al. Atlantis has been a disappointment from the get go, so I'm not
optimistic of what they are going to offer. I'm sticking to old SG-1 tapes Season 1-7!!

Descent
December 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I'm happy that theres gonna be a third series. I really want it to be a ship based show sort of in the vein of BSG or Star Trek even...but ya know, Stargate-ish. :P

prion
December 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM
The fact is that none of the trades have made a single mention of this (but then, it's in Canada, it's scifi, and those get the least amount of mention) so they/MGM will be the ones to eventually let us know if this series gets the greenlight.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if TPTB approach one or several of the actors from SG1 to appear in the new series as they're not stupid. These actors will have drawing power, and MS *does* draw very large numbers at conventions, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was asked.

I think who ends up as lead will depend if they want a U.S. based actor in it, or will go entirely Canadian.

ReganX
December 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM

I think that would be best.

Descent
December 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I think that would be best.

All new would be good. New writers especially.

ReganX
December 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM
All new would be good. New writers especially.

Even if they keep one or two of the old writers around, I think that they will definitely need to ensure that most of their writing staff are new. I don't see the third season doing well if it rehashes plots from SG-1 and Atlantis.

Samdelfino
December 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Even if they keep one or two of the old writers around, I think that they will definitely need to ensure that most of their writing staff are new. I don't see the third season doing well if it rehashes plots from SG-1 and Atlantis.

While new writers could be good, if they had too much influence, and the old writers aren't there, it would be in danger of becoming too much like other Sci-Fi shows. New writers are swayed by what they also watch. I don't want a show that has episodes like ones from Star Trek or BSG, it's Stargate; and that's a whole other ball game, the old writers know this.

Cameron Mitchel
December 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE

Anyway, very good points you made Hubble.

YES!! FINALLY!! Someone who sees it like I do! I loved the original team chemistry with RDA/Jack as lead and Sam, Teal'c and Daniel as supporting characters. I've never thought the characters were developed enough of the actors portraying them were strong enough on their own to be leads.

Since RDA left the humour is gone and so is the team chemistry. Jack is the character that most fans want to watch; if not the ratings wouldn't have soared when he made his guest appearances. Unfortunately retirement from acting hasn't exactly been in RDA's favour in that now all he seems to want to play is 'dumb Jack'. If he's going to do that everytime he's on the show IMHO he isn't adding to the quality; his humour is welcome any day, but stupid Jack can stay in Malibu.

As for the new show, I love MS and particularly Daniel. He's very three dimensional and a well developed character and too good to lose, but he's just not a lead. Strictly MHO.

I can't even begin to imagine what the TPTB could possibly offer in a new show. I can't stand the show now as the Bori bore me, and I'm not fond of Landry et al. Atlantis has been a disappointment from the get go, so I'm not
optimistic of what they are going to offer. I'm sticking to old SG-1 tapes Season 1-7!!
Keep living in the past... and it's "[quote]" not "[quote" .

full.infinity
December 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I hope that if they bring in new writers then they're fans of SG-1.

chocdoc
December 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM
The fact is that none of the trades have made a single mention of this (but then, it's in Canada, it's scifi, and those get the least amount of mention) so they/MGM will be the ones to eventually let us know if this series gets the greenlight.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if TPTB approach one or several of the actors from SG1 to appear in the new series as they're not stupid. These actors will have drawing power, and MS *does* draw very large numbers at conventions, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was asked.

I think who ends up as lead will depend if they want a U.S. based actor in it, or will go entirely Canadian.

It wouldn't surprise me if other actors were approached as well. If they plan to rely on SG-1 characters for their shows, then asking MS makes sense, and asking AT for Atlantis make sense.

Capt.Mal Reynolds
December 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM
if there do a add current cast members ....i want mitchell just my opinion

Forseti
December 16th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Someone said in an earlier post that the new show should be about the Ancients. I think this has some potential. It could begin with them creating the first gates and go on to show the first time they encountered the Asgard, Nox, and Furlings, the split between the Ancients/Ori, and the evolutionary development of their mental and physical abilities prior to ascension. It would also be cool if it were to show how and why they colonized Earth. Seeing Atlantis in its prime on Earth would be freakin' sweet!
I don't like this much as an idea for a show. I'd love to see a mini-series about it, telling the history of the Ancients, revealing the Furlings, learning more about the alliance between the four races, but I just don't see it as a long lasting show.

quicksilver
December 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I'm amazed at the number of people who seem to have difficulty imagining Daniel as the lead character in a Stargate universe series. Didn't they watch the movie ???? Yes, I know that SG-1 and Atlantis have a strong military component and I am not saying there would be no military in the new series but for crying out loud why can't those folks see how interesting it could be to have an archaeologist spearheading a team to help humankind in the present by learning as much as they can about the past ?

po134
December 16th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm amazed at the number of people who seem to have difficulty imagining Daniel as the lead character in a Stargate universe series. Didn't they watch the movie ???? Yes, I know that SG-1 and Atlantis have a strong military component and I am not saying there would be no military in the new series but for crying out loud why can't those folks see how interesting it could be to have an archaeologist spearheading a team to help humankind in the present by learning as much as they can about the past ?

Agreed, there's potential there, but maybe that's more for the 2 next movie comming on. About the miniseries that could tell the story of the Alliance or of th Acient, I also think that would be awesome.

My point of view is that stargate could be a very interresting universe to explore out of the whole "gate" thing as we've seen in current season. From what I understand the writters were preparing ourself, viewers, to better understand the situation in the rest of the universe duing those last seasons [ex: naquada's the money, etc.]

Would you prefer a storyline in the future, in the past or even in another part of te galaxy/universe? Maybe see some of our old friends/ennemy/unknown dropping by?

Can't wait to hear more about this :hammond:

keshou
December 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Maybe I'm just lacking in imagination?? ;) :)

I'll try and clarify. I saw SG-1 (S1-8) as Jack as the lead character and the other three as supporting characters. And I don't mean "supporting" in the sense they were like "Norm and Cliff" hanging out at the bar in Cheers. :cool:

They were *strong* supporting characters. But Jack/RDA was definitely the lead. They chose to take "Jack" from the movie and build the show around him - not Daniel. They certainly could have built the show around Daniel, I guess, but the way they structured it with the military focus Daniel was pushed into more of a supporting role. Sam, Daniel and Teal'c all got their episodes to shine (certainly much more than they've done with some of the characters on Atlantis) but imo Jack really provided a lot of the energy and charisma that made the show a success. Especially in the early years.

When RDA started cutting back his involvement it certainly became more of an ensemble show but I really didn't see Sam, Daniel or Teal'c step forward from the rest to become a "lead" character. In S9 and S10 it's become even more of an ensemble with the exit of Jack. Ben may be at the top of the credits but I haven't really seen him pushed as a lead character either - certainly not the way he was in Farscape.

I'm not saying that Sam, Daniel or Teal'c could *never* become a lead character - with the right concept in place. I just don't see them that way *yet*. But heck, I never saw Frasier as a lead character either when he was on Cheers and look how successful that spinoff was. With the right concept, talented writers and interesting characters a lot of things can work.

But these characters have ten years of backstory. We've already seen Daniel die, go crazy, screw up, save the world, mourn his wife, die again, ascend, descend, go crazy again, get buff, die again, sort of ascend again, get a beard, etc., etc. Along the way we've probably seen every facial expression the actor has in his arsenal. (not knocking MS - same for all the actors) Even the most talented writer might be hard pressed to come up with something new that will develop this character any further. But again, it may be my lack of imagination.

I saw that TNT movie - The Librarian - and that certainly had a Daniel-type character in the lead. And I enjoyed it. So if that's the type of series TPTB are planning for the next incarnation of Stargate then Daniel may well be the perfect choice as a lead character. If it's a time travel series or a series set in the past - then building it around the Daniel character might make some sense. But at this point we don't have any idea what the concept is. I'll certainly give it a chance if it gets on the air - no matter who is cast - just like I did Atlantis. I'm just not tremendously excited about it at this point. Maybe when I hear the concept I will be.

Skythe
December 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I initially dismissed the idea of a prequel, but after reading a previous post, i think that its an awesome idea. Obviously it would be focused around the Ancients (main characters, etc)
It would already give the show some structure; and think of the kind of things they could explore.

- The creation of the stargate. Make the very first use of the first stargate as the pilot ep.
- Ori split
- Show how many of earth's nations were influenced (gods, etc)
- Planting gates on worlds
- Creation of dakara device. etc
- Discovery of the four great alliances, creation of the alliance, reason for the alliance.
- Get to see furlings :p
- Story about the plague and their escape to Atlantis (later seasons)
- The creation of the wraith
- Seeding and re-seeding worlds
- Creation of atlantis replicators
- escape back to earth
- advent of the gou'ald

Now please tell me that wouldn't be a cool series.
As for Daniel Jackson, who knows? Maybe they face imminent defeat at the hands of the Ori and he travels back in time to try change history? And they could involve the Puddle Jumper creator and have guest appearance from time-capsule Weir and Aiyana and stuff :p
I guess it would be set on the Atlantis set but use different CGI showing the city-ship on an ancient Earth. That would also decrease costs a lot i suppose.

And i think that trumps the space-station idea and perhaps even the idea of the series being based on the world after the stargate program has been revealed.

Anyway, i think that's a great idea for a prequel, kudos to the guy who brought up the original post.

full.infinity
December 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I wanna know what it's about...

although I think the crew likes reading speculation.

majorsal
December 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Then they say:

i just love logic. you are my friend. ;)

sally :D

majorsal
December 16th, 2006, 11:16 PM

okay. even though bb/cm is 'the' star of the show (first in credits and all), the show's literally been the daniel-vala show since season 9. and the less than stellar ratings for season 9 and 10 is why the show's been canceled. (and before anyone yells it was too expensive; if the ratings had been season 8 like, the show's cost wouldn't have mattered because the high ratings would have been bringing in the bucks)

so really, it HAS been the daniel jackson-vala show since season 9. and the show's canceled now!

majorsal
December 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM

bb was 'leading' farscape for a few years. are you saying HE was the reason farscape was canceled? (or maybe the reason it went on for the years it did?)

Farscapefan
December 17th, 2006, 12:04 AM

Agree completely. I want to see ARCHEOLOGIST Daniel with Vala by his side helping him :)

Farscapefan
December 17th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Maybe I'm just lacking in imagination?? ;) :)

I'll try and clarify. I saw SG-1 (S1-8) as Jack as the lead character and the other three as supporting characters. And I don't mean "supporting" in the sense they were like "Norm and Cliff" hanging out at the bar in Cheers. :cool:

They were *strong* supporting characters. But Jack/RDA was definitely the lead. They chose to take "Jack" from the movie and build the show around him - not Daniel. They certainly could have built the show around Daniel, I guess, but the way they structured it with the military focus Daniel was pushed into more of a supporting role. Sam, Daniel and Teal'c all got their episodes to shine (certainly much more than they've done with some of the characters on Atlantis) but imo Jack really provided a lot of the energy and charisma that made the show a success. Especially in the early years.

When RDA started cutting back his involvement it certainly became more of an ensemble show but I really didn't see Sam, Daniel or Teal'c step forward from the rest to become a "lead" character. In S9 and S10 it's become even more of an ensemble with the exit of Jack. Ben may be at the top of the credits but I haven't really seen him pushed as a lead character either - certainly not the way he was in Farscape.

I'm not saying that Sam, Daniel or Teal'c could *never* become a lead character - with the right concept in place. I just don't see them that way *yet*. But heck, I never saw Frasier as a lead character either when he was on Cheers and look how successful that spinoff was. With the right concept, talented writers and interesting characters a lot of things can work.

But these characters have ten years of backstory. We've already seen Daniel die, go crazy, screw up, save the world, mourn his wife, die again, ascend, descend, go crazy again, get buff, die again, sort of ascend again, get a beard, etc., etc. Along the way we've probably seen every facial expression the actor has in his arsenal. (not knocking MS - same for all the actors) Even the most talented writer might be hard pressed to come up with something new that will develop this character any further. But again, it may be my lack of imagination.

I saw that TNT movie - The Librarian - and that certainly had a Daniel-type character in the lead. And I enjoyed it. So if that's the type of series TPTB are planning for the next incarnation of Stargate then Daniel may well be the perfect choice as a lead character. If it's a time travel series or a series set in the past - then building it around the Daniel character might make some sense. But at this point we don't have any idea what the concept is. I'll certainly give it a chance if it gets on the air - no matter who is cast - just like I did Atlantis. I'm just not tremendously excited about it at this point. Maybe when I hear the concept I will be.

They did it because RDA needed to be the star again after McGyver and he wasn't interested in Daniel's part. In the movie, even if Kurt Russell was first in the credits, it was Daniel Jackson who really was the heart and the soul of the movie and the main character. And for a lot of people it's Daniel who is the heart and the soul of the series. I'm much more interested in the NON-military series about the adventures of archeologist than in the military show.

Samdelfino
December 17th, 2006, 01:03 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if other actors were approached as well. If they plan to rely on SG-1 characters for their shows, then asking MS makes sense, and asking AT for Atlantis make sense.

Didn't she go into a few episodes of Atlantis to finish off her current contract? My problem is, though I don't really see it as a problem, lol, is I like SG-1 as a team - I don't like the idea of one person going into one spin-off, never seeing the rest and someone else going into Atlantis for a couple of episodes, etc etc. I want them all together, as the familial team we've come to know and love.

I like the idea of Daniel going back to his Archaeological roots, not just him being in an office looking at artifacts for a few minutes before zipping off; but remember he's changed a LOT since those early seasons, he's evolved possibly more than any of the others, IMO, so he isn't going to go back to being the bumbling Archaologist Daniel, he's been helping in military situations too long. However, being lost in a galaxy far, far away or whatever -- well, even with the others behind him of a military background, there would still be a lot of Archaology involved in that scenario because its new.

flynn1959
December 17th, 2006, 01:17 AM
so really, it HAS been the daniel jackson-vala show since season 9. and the show's canceled now!

No it hasn't, Daniel is missing from four episodes of season ten and Mitchell has a very strong presence in season nine to the detrement of the show. If tptb had really given us the Daniel/Vala show we would all be looking forward to season eleven right now. Season nine after the first excellent episodes was a real Mitchell fest, people were complaining about that fact all over the place. The character is simply not strong enough to carry an episode just look at the dire Sodan one, I forget the name, wish I could forget the whole episode!

Daniel is strong enough to carry an entire seies and I for one am really happy that tptb have recognised this fact by asking him to star in the new show. I know it will be a hit.

Bring on the Daniel and Vala show...the real one.

flynn1959
December 17th, 2006, 01:19 AM
They did it because RDA needed to be the star again after McGyver and he wasn't interested in Daniel's part. In the movie, even if Kurt Russell was first in the credits, it was Daniel Jackson who really was the heart and the soul of the movie and the main character. And for a lot of people it's Daniel who is the heart and the soul of the series. I'm much more interested in the NON-military series about the adventures of archeologist than in the military show.

I agree. With the world in the state it is at the moment a move away from military shows can only be a good thing.

Indiana Jackson sounds good to me!

Nile
December 17th, 2006, 03:21 AM
I would like to see (like in SG1 or SGA tv shows) the cast in "typical human situations" like drinking, eating, cleaning teeth, etc...

http://www.stargate-fusion.com/sg1/pics/episode/721/galerie/big/721_003.jpg

http://www.stargate-fusion.com/atlantis/pics/episode/308/galerie/big/308_090.jpg

Pamplemousse of France
December 17th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Didn't she go into a few episodes of Atlantis to finish off her current contract? My problem is, though I don't really see it as a problem, lol, is I like SG-1 as a team - I don't like the idea of one person going into one spin-off, never seeing the rest and someone else going into Atlantis for a couple of episodes, etc etc. I want them all together, as the familial team we've come to know and love.

I like the idea of Daniel going back to his Archaeological roots, not just him being in an office looking at artifacts for a few minutes before zipping off; but remember he's changed a LOT since those early seasons, he's evolved possibly more than any of the others, IMO, so he isn't going to go back to being the bumbling Archaologist Daniel, he's been helping in military situations too long. However, being lost in a galaxy far, far away or whatever -- well, even with the others behind him of a military background, there would still be a lot of Archaology involved in that scenario because its new.

I see your point. It is true that because we know the team since the beginning of the show, it is hard to imagine them alone. However, if they keep the SG-1 team complete, there is a risk that they just do a Stargate 2, rather than a new show. And if money is the actual problem for TPTB, changing just the name of the show and put SG-1 in it will not resolve the problem.
We can imagine that Mitchell continues to lead a SG team, Sam works at Area 51's R&D (with her French colleagues ;) ), Teal'c goes back to the Free Jaffa Nation, and Daniel leads a new civilian exploration team. For an unknow reason, they are stuck somewhere (between the Milky Way and Pegasus, for example) and encounter a new ennemy. I think this is possible because, as you said, Daniel has changed a lot since season 1. He took his nose out of his archeology books, and saw what was happening in the galaxy, he got impregnated with military training, but without giving up his sense of diplomacy and justice.
I think he would do a good lead character (with Vala, of course). In fact, my only problem with Shanks is that he speaks very fastly and I don't understand everything he says.

Samdelfino
December 17th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I see your point. It is true that because we know the team since the beginning of the show, it is hard to imagine them alone. However, if they keep the SG-1 team complete, there is a risk that they just do a Stargate 2, rather than a new show. And if money is the actual problem for TPTB, changing just the name of the show and put SG-1 in it will not resolve the problem.
We can imagine that Mitchell continues to lead a SG team, Sam works at Area 51's R&D (with her French colleagues ;) ), Teal'c goes back to the Free Jaffa Nation, and Daniel leads a new civilian exploration team. For an unknow reason, they are stuck somewhere (between the Milky Way and Pegasus, for example) and encounter a new ennemy. I think this is possible because, as you said, Daniel has changed a lot since season 1. He took his nose out of his archeology books, and saw what was happening in the galaxy, he got impregnated with military training, but without giving up his sense of diplomacy and justice.
I think he would do a good lead character (with Vala, of course). In fact, my only problem with Shanks is that he speaks very fastly and I don't understand everything he says.

I would love to see a new enemy; maybe a new team, with the old team still. The new not necessarily being secondary characters ala Landry, Hammond, Janet etc; but not taking over either. I might not be explaining it very well. It would bring a mesh of the new and old, and it would give Daniel a chance to lead a team in a new environ, from an Archaeologiccal point of view, with the military presence still there in the form of a couple of newbies and SG-1. Like a training exercise off world gone awry. A new team who aren't as experienced as SG-1, but not completely green. That's what I'd like anyway, because it'd give the different groups of people what they want: SG-1 there, a new team and a leader Daniel doing his thing.

It's ironic actually, I was going to do a fanfic with this kind of idea; though with no new faces, but I'll hold off. ANd not just because I'm writing about five other things at the same time, lol.

chocdoc
December 17th, 2006, 05:22 AM

They could have decided not to exercise their option on her contract, and if they did that, AT would not be going to Atlantis. As I understand it, they are exercising that option, so she is obligated to fulfill the contract, which she stated was fine with her.

Randy_Watson
December 17th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Fantastic news gang! So by 2008 we will have a new Stargate series and new Futurama eps! Fantastic. This may push me over the hump to finally get cable and watch some first run shows.

ReganX
December 17th, 2006, 06:03 AM

If they are to be an exploration team, I don't see them sending all civilians. SG-1 are an exploration team and look how often they get into trouble. If they're an SG team, they're going to have at least a few military team members and the senior officer would be in command.

Luz
December 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I agree on Jackson being the heart of the movie, and for a while SG1 Jackson seemed to be similar to movie Jackson, that is until he had that weird personality transplant, and and the brainy dorky charming guy was lost forever. :(

The only way I'd be interested in watching this show would be if there were new writers, different tptb (as in no RCC, MG, PM, JM, etc.), a whole new set of characters (no one from SG1), the only thing I'd expect these shows to have in common would be the StarGate, aside from that a clean slate, and maybe I'd consider giving it a try.

Farscapefan
December 17th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I agree on Jackson being the heart of the movie, and for a while SG1 Jackson seemed to be similar to movie Jackson, that is until he had that weird personality transplant, and and the brainy dorky charming guy was lost forever. :(

The only way I'd be interested in watching this show would be if there were new writers, different tptb (as in no RCC, MG, PM, JM, etc.), a whole new set of characters (no one from SG1), the only thing I'd expect these shows to have in common would be the StarGate, aside from that a clean slate, and maybe I'd consider giving it a try.

Well... ironically, my absolutely favourite season 9 and 10 episodes are these penned by Rob Cooper and I really hope he's going to write for the new series.

Stargate: Andromeda
December 17th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I think it would be cool to have something like Stargate Andromeda.

M2W
December 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Fantastic news gang! So by 2008 we will have a new Stargate series and new Futurama eps! Fantastic. This may push me over the hump to finally get cable and watch some first run shows.

Not so much on topic, but they're making new Futurama episodes!? Awesome!

Samdelfino
December 17th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I think it would be cool to have something like Stargate Andromeda.

Personally I hope they don't set it wholly on a ship, it's Stargate not Starship or Shipgate. Doing that would stop it being set apart from other science fiction shows and become too much like them.

Luz
December 17th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Well... ironically, my absolutely favourite season 9 and 10 episodes are these penned by Rob Cooper and I really hope he's going to write for the new series.
I found season nine a bit meh!, I'd hoped that without O'neill I'd be able to enjoy the show, but nah!. Whatever it was that kept me watching the first seven seasons was gone, and season nine definitely didn't have it, I liked Mitchel okay, Vala was okay, Jackson was not the Jackson I used to like.
The first seven seasons kept me entertained, and then I got bored. *shrug*

I think having RCC at the helmet is going to hurt this show, when SGA is over I'm never watching anything that has absolutely anything to do with the people involved on SG1 and SGA. After seeing the way they so easily dismiss fans, how they couldn't care less about the fans loyalty, how easily they get rid of beloved characters, how short their attentions span is when they get distracted by the shiny, there is no way in hell I'm giving this people another chance.

Skythe
December 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
For an unknow reason, they are stuck somewhere (between the Milky Way and Pegasus, for example) and encounter a new ennemy.

Clearly the new enemy is going to be the french.

snap!

Farscapefan
December 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I found season nine a bit meh!, I'd hoped that without O'neill I'd be able to enjoy the show, but nah!. Whatever it was that kept me watching the first seven seasons was gone, and season nine definitely didn't have it, I liked Mitchel okay, Vala was okay, Jackson was not the Jackson I used to like.
The first seven seasons kept me entertained, and then I got bored. *shrug*

Well, for me majority of seasons 1 -8 was very boring, and season 9 was in the most part finally "my cup of tea". Remember that this was supposed to be the first season of the new show, the beginnings of everything are always difficult, because of introducing new characters, new enemies, and especially when you're forced to continue actually the old show, because the producers weren't allowed to rebrand it and to start really fresh and new, like they did with Atlantis. I like season 9 very much in major part, especially the first 6 episodes and episode 19. The episodes after Vala left became definitely lifeless to me, Vala'a absence really hurt the show. I really hope to see both Daniel and Vala in the new series. Far away from the military.

Luz
December 17th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Well, for me majority of seasons 1 -8 was very boring, and season 9 was in the most part finally "my cup of tea". Remember that this was supposed to be the first season of the new show, the beginnings of everything are always difficult, because of introducing new characters, new enemies, and especially when you're forced to continue actually the old show,
That would have been a different thing, another spin off, without Daniel, Sam, and definitely without Teal'c, but then I don't think tptb would have hired CB and BB, because it would have been too much like Farscape, I wouldn't have minded since I never watched this show, tried it once, didn't like it. Then the show would probably have had a better chance of survival.

because the producers weren't allowed to rebrand it and to start really fresh and new, like they did with Atlantis. I like season 9 very much in major part, especially the first 6 episodes and episode 19. The episodes after Vala left became definitely lifeless to me, Vala'a absence really hurt the show. I really hope to see both Daniel and Vala in the new series. Far away from the military.
I really don't care who they hire, RCC is going to be in charge and I don't think I'll be watching, however I think it would be a terrible mistake to try to use Jackson on yet another series, and you'd think the actor would want to try something different, isn't he sick and tired of playing the same character for ten years?.
And I got sick and tired of Jackson so having him as the main character (or even as a regular) on this other series is another reason to stay away from it, I couldn't care less about whether CB is on it or not, I don't care about any of the SG1's characters to the point of missing anyone of them, so having anyone of them there on the new show is not a plus for me, it would be however yet another reason not to watch.

Pamplemousse of France
December 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Clearly the new enemy is going to be the french.

Why not ? As long as we are not shown as stupid and coward guys (The Scourge :mad: ), it doesn't annoy me.
We could decide to run our own SG program (we can threaten USA to reveal the SG program if they don't give us a gate and a ship), and do everything we can to annoy the Americans (like we always do, one can say... ;) ). It won't warm up transatlantic relationship, but it's not fair that the Russians and the Chinese are always the bad guys.

Remember that this was supposed to be the first season of the new show
True. And I think the fact it is "Stargate SG1 season 9", rather than "Stargate something season 1" has completely wasted the Ori story. Now TPTB is forced to conclude it in a telefilm, whereas starting a new show could have opened a new universe.

Samdelfino
December 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
True. And I think the fact it is "Stargate SG1 season 9", rather than "Stargate something season 1" has completely wasted the Ori story. Now TPTB is forced to conclude it in a telefilm, whereas starting a new show could have opened a new universe.

Which is hopefully what they're doing now. Starting it as a season 1 again , instead of a season "11".

Pamplemousse of France
December 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Which is hopefully what they're doing now. Starting it as a season 1 again , instead of a season "11".
Yes, but they are doing it two seasons too late.

Pitry
December 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM

IT's not about imagination. I've no problem imagining a show with MS as lead or DJ as a lead character. Hell, in a way that is very much the case in seasons 9-10, which I really enjoy.
It's the fact I'm not sure I'd like what would happen to the character once the rest of SG1 is gone that bothers me.

Farscapefan
December 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Why not ? As long as we are not shown as stupid and coward guys (The Scourge :mad: ), it doesn't annoy me.
We could decide to run our own SG program (we can threaten USA to reveal the SG program if they don't give us a gate and a ship), and do everything we can to annoy the Americans (like we always do, one can say... ;) ). It won't warm up transatlantic relationship, but it's not fair that the Russians and the Chinese are always the bad guys.

They don't need to open completely new universe. Exploring the Alterans would be great idea. And Daniel and Vala are perfect for the job :D

Samdelfino
December 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Yes, but they are doing it two seasons too late.

Better late than never.

cmuty
December 17th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Pitty they didn't hint at the concept, I wonder if it will be set in a new galaxy :eek:

If they hinted at a concept, it would give people way too much time to tell them what a dumb idea it is, and how it really should be done (without really know what was going to happen).

I think it is best that they let things come together a little more before the reviews about how bad the premier episode will be begin.

majorsal
December 17th, 2006, 02:01 PM
No it hasn't, Daniel is missing from four episodes of season ten and Mitchell has a very strong presence in season nine to the detrement of the show. If tptb had really given us the Daniel/Vala show we would all be looking forward to season eleven right now. Season nine after the first excellent episodes was a real Mitchell fest, people were complaining about that fact all over the place. The character is simply not strong enough to carry an episode just look at the dire Sodan one, I forget the name, wish I could forget the whole episode!

Daniel is strong enough to carry an entire seies and I for one am really happy that tptb have recognised this fact by asking him to star in the new show. I know it will be a hit.

Bring on the Daniel and Vala show...the real one.

there are ppl that don't share your love of all things daniel and daniel/vala. are we to just bugger off? because i'll tell you, i think enough ppl *have* left to give the show the stellar ratings it's gotten to get canned.

just my biased opinion of course.

SG-Lurker
December 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM
They don't need to open completely new universe. Exploring the Alterans would be great idea. And Daniel and Vala are perfect for the job :D

Yep, perfect to get the new show cancelled.

Seriously, just because you love CB and think anything she does is teh gr8tst does not mean everyone else does. Vaniel has a large and vocal group that hates it, others dislike it intensely. Not a great way to start a new show, actually it's because of the existing fanbases that I'm all for totally new characters so that if they manage to get this new series off the ground then it has the best chance to succeed without existing biases.