Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nathan Fillion to star in Tim Minear's "Drive" on Fox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nathan Fillion to star in Tim Minear's "Drive" on Fox?

Just a rumour, but a fun one. Family reunion indeed.

There are also some interesting comments at Whedonesque- apparaently Nathan and Tim Minear have been hinting aobut something in the works (seperatly). So perahps there is some truth in this.

We’re getting reports from a couple of untested sources suggesting that Nathan Fillion, “Firefly’s” Capt. Mal Reynolds, is about to sign on as the male lead in “Drive,” the brilliant “Lost”-ish, “Amazing Race”-ish new action-suspense-comedy-drama from “Firefly” writer-producer-co-showrunner Tim Minear.
    One gathers Fillion would play Alex, which means he would replace “Charmed” hunk Ivan Sergei, who starred in the original pilot.
    We’ve been told in the past that Fox could begin airing “Drive” as early as spring.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30971

http://whedonesque.com/comments/12050

Minear does seem to like to work with familiar faces. He had Adam Baldwin in his short-lived FBI drama The Inside, which also had Katie Finneran from his short-lived Wonderfalls.

I'm sure this show will be up to his usual high standards. I hope Minear can finally break the 14-episode barrier he keeps hitting. Or at least turn this one into yet another cult DVD hit (where's my Inside DVD set, dammit?!?!?)

a time to mourn

Comment

Well, I'd much rather see a hit TV show than a cult DVD hit, and hopefully this new "Drive" series works out. But if they air it on FOX, its sort of a crap-shoot whether it will sink or swim, regardless of the quality of the show.

I have been reading some rumors on the scifiFodder site about Nathan Fillion getting back on TV, so maybe there is some truth to these rumors...
      sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

The Hollywood Reporter also has this news...

'Drive' time for Fillion at Fox
        By Nellie Andreeva
        Dec 15, 2006

Nathan Fillion has been tapped as the lead on Fox's midseason drama series "Drive."

The show, from 20th Century Fox TV and executive producers Tim Minear, Ben Queen and Greg Yaitanes, chronicles an underground race across America.

Fillion will play Alex Tully, a charming, rogue landscaper who is coerced into joining the race to search for his wife who had been abducted.

In the original pilot, the role was played by Ivan Sergei.

Fillion's casting in "Drive" stems from the talent holding deal the actor inked with Fox and 20th TV in October (HR 10/17).

Fillion, who is friends with Minear, was first approached with the project in the spring but couldn't do the pilot because of a scheduling conflict with the filming of his feature "White Noise 2: The Light," slated for release Jan. 5.

"I was a little disappointed because Tim is a friend, and there is nothing better than working with people you know and like," Fillion said.

At a barbecue this summer, after the pilot was shot but before Fox picked it up to series, Minear again floated the idea for "Drive" to Fillion and showed him the pilot.

"I was so excited about it," Fillion said of his first reaction to the tape. "He has some really talented actors lined up in it, and it's exciting to get to meet them and work with them."

In addition to "White Noise 2," Fillion will soon appear in the indie "Waitress," which is set to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival.

Fillion, whose credits also include the series "Two Guys and a Girl" and "Firefly" and the features "Serenity" and "Slither," is repped by the Gersh Agency and 3 Arts Entertainment.

Mal, Jayne, and River Figurine Set

Comment

Glad to hear the confirmation! I will definitly be tuning in to see this show.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it. Nathan is incredibly talented. I just hope it fits into my viewing schedule.
            sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

The cast of this show now also includes Amy Acker (Fred/Illyria on Angel) and Richard Brooks (Jubal Eary from "Objects in Space").

And it sounds like Amy is playing Nathan Fillion's characer's wife!

Comment

nice
                sigpic
                Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

If anyone wants to know more about Drive and Nathan being in it and anything else about the cast.. check out the DriveFans board at http://www.drivefans.com.

Come join us over there and get in on the action ahead of the race!
                  From here to the eyes and the ears of the 'Verse!

Comment

OMg I thought that was Nathan!!! I watched it and UI was like "That lokoed like Nathan Fillion" and my mom asked me who that was. (and she claims to love Firefly )

Comment

I'll probably give the series a look since Nathan is in it. The commercials look kinda interesting. Otherwise I'd probably ignore it like so many other FOX shows....
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                        I'll probably give the series a look since Nathan is in it. The commercials look kinda interesting. Otherwise I'd probably ignore it like so many other FOX shows....
                        Haha- ditto.

But I'll be prepared for cancellation.....

Comment

Yippie! It finally airs this Sunday. It'll be nice to see Nathan on the small screen.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a Canadian channel that has picked it up for a simulcast? Or will it only air on Fox here?(yuck )

Comment

There's interviews with some of the cast, plus a pretty good advance review of the pilot.
                            Last edited by Naonak; 13 April 2007, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                              There's interviews with some of the cast, plus a pretty good advance review of the pilot.
                              Thanks for the link!

Nathan (holding the picture of Amy Acker) is on the cover of our TV guide this week!

Anyone know what the deal with airing in Canada is? I opened the paper this morning to see that it's airing on CTV tonight- but I can't find the third hour anywhere, so is CTV airing an abbreviated version? (the mini review in our paper was very good as well)

Comment

Working...
                              X