PDA

View Full Version : ZPM power output (Spoilers)

Rodneys Gun Tutor
December 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Ok, as we know Atlantis requires 3 ZPM's to fly. One each for the stardrive, shields and inertial dampeners. I presume this is because only so much power can be drawn from a single ZPM.

How come then in Mckay and Mrs Miller they were able to drain all the power out of a single ZPM in a matter of seconds?

FallenAngelII
December 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Because Project Arcturus 2 was unstable and weird. The Atlantis systems probably have failsafes to prevent power from being rapidly drained like that.

Rodneys Gun Tutor
December 13th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Ah right! thanks for the quick reply

thefunkyone
December 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Ok, as we know Atlantis requires 3 ZPM's to fly. One each for the stardrive, shields and inertial dampeners. I presume this is because only so much power can be drawn from a single ZPM.

Atlantis actually draws power from all 3 ZPM's at the same time depleting all 3 at the same rate..... In the power saving mode each ZPM can be drained individually... It doesn't allocate any particular ZPM to any specific systems...

Because Project Arcturus 2 was unstable and weird. The Atlantis systems probably have failsafes to prevent power from being rapidly drained like that.

Project Arcturus 2 was actually rather stable, they could easily hold the power output at 5% and showed no negative problems (on our end), the only instability is that it destroys other universes from exotic particle overload.

As for the ZPM drain, the atlantis team purposely channelled a massive power overload, ZPM's can probably output as much energy as is demanded from it until it runs out of power it can hold.... Normally the ancients would have no problems with ZPM power drains. if they drain one what the hell just make another one.... Also for possible risky scientific experiments they would probably use isolated ZPM's and not the ones directly powering atlantis, so the atlantis ZPM power output would not be affected

FallenAngelII
December 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Atlantis actually draws power from all 3 ZPM's at the same time depleting all 3 at the same rate..... In the power saving mode each ZPM can be drained individually... It doesn't allocate any particular ZPM to any specific systems...

Project Arcturus 2 was actually rather stable, they could easily hold the power output at 5% and showed no negative problems (on our end), the only instability is that it destroys other universes from exotic particle overload.

As for the ZPM drain, the atlantis team purposely channelled a massive power overload, ZPM's can probably output as much energy as is demanded from it until it runs out of power it can hold.... Normally the ancients would have no problems with ZPM power drains. if they drain one what the hell just make another one.... Also for possible risky scientific experiments they would probably use isolated ZPM's and not the ones directly powering atlantis, so the atlantis ZPM power output would not be affected
I meant the way they used Project Arcturus 2 at the end, with the overload :P. Sorry for not making that clear.

But Ancient technology probably has a failsafes to provent their machines to drain too much power out of a ZPM at a time, to prevent overloads and possible solar system-destroying explosions.

That or it takes less energy to power the Stardrive, shields and inertial dampeners if the power's being drained from three separate ZPMs than from just one. They just didn't like to have to constantly change batteries.

Cap116
December 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM
It almost seems that anything but basic functions drain ZPMs quickly. The question is that is they have so much power how can they be drained so fast. It seems that they do everything on SGA to drain the ZPMs as fast as possible. You would think that the Ancients what be able to create a power source that could last pretty much indefinately.

kirmit
December 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
It almost seems that anything but basic functions drain ZPMs quickly. The question is that is they have so much power how can they be drained so fast. It seems that they do everything on SGA to drain the ZPMs as fast as possible. You would think that the Ancients what be able to create a power source that could last pretty much indefinately.

They tried and failed, wiping out all inhabitants on the planet aswell.

poilo7895
December 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM

if you talking about the solar sstem that rodien blow up it was no the experment but the wrath that destordthemm

Cap116
December 13th, 2006, 05:40 PM

I know they, just figured they would have something that would work, but that would be alot of wishful thinking.

fuzzylogicman
December 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM
if you look at all the uses that have drained zpm's you'll find that they have all been massive procedures not just turning a light bulb on and off. Project Arcturus 2 drained the zpm so quicky as they were both trying to prolong the generator to close the portale to another universe while waiting for the mckay double transport through. Every other zpm we've had has been either nearly drained/used in some massive procedure.

kirmit
December 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM
if you talking about the solar sstem that rodien blow up it was no the experment but the wrath that destordthemm

I was talking about when the ancients used it and ended up wiping out everyone on the planet.

Rodneys Gun Tutor
December 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM

I know, they had millions of years to do so. Heck, if I remember correctly the Tollans managed it.

Dutch_Razor
December 14th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Hey something that runs on 3 battery won't run on 1...

Or you have to up the voltage losing energy in the process.

FallenAngelII
December 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I believe the only bodies we found were those of the scientists inside of the lab. The rest probably evacuated (because obviously the Ancients didn't fail as cataclysmically as Rodney since the solar system was still there).

Cban
December 14th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I believe the only bodies we found were those of the scientists inside of the lab. The rest probably evacuated (because obviously the Ancients didn't fail as cataclysmically as Rodney since the solar system was still there).

no it was when the ancients died and failed the planet was left open and undefened

Jimbo-DR
December 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Actually, since all the Wraith ships that had been in orbit around the planet were destroyed, it is likely that the Ancients succeeded in initially defending the planet, but were all killed in the process. The Wraith likely sent more forces afterwards, who then decimated the planet. From the way the episode went that would seem the most likely order of events.

SoulReaver
December 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I know, they had millions of years to do so. Heck, if I remember correctly the Tollans managed it.um..."unlimited" was a figure of speech. maybe they had something like ZPMs (or less advanced)

Narim said the energy source they gave their neighbors destroyed their planet (and knocked the Tollan planet off course) - if it had been a comparable to even a ZPM chances are it would have destroyed more than that

if the Tollans had anything comparable to Arcturus IMO they would have easily survived against Anubis' attacks

Bragi
December 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Well, they were trying to send Rod back to his universe.

That's why the power drained so fast.

'Cause. . . you know. . . . magnets.

Jimbo-DR
December 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM
um..."unlimited" was a figure of speech. maybe they had something like ZPMs (or less advanced)

Narim said the energy source they gave their neighbors destroyed their planet (and knocked the Tollan planet off course) - if it had been a comparable to even a ZPM chances are it would have destroyed more than that

if the Tollans had anything comparable to Arcturus IMO they would have easily survived against Anubis' attacks

I believe Narim said they provided them with weapons and advanced technology, but did he say power source?

SoulReaver
December 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I believe Narim said they provided them with weapons and advanced technology, but did he say power source?"NARIM : we offered them a device to produce unlimited productive energy and they used it to make war"

they only gave them the power source, no weapons or other tech. so the generator was probably "modified" into a bomb or something (to release all the energy within at once) that's how they used it for war

Jimbo-DR
December 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Gotcha. I wonder what he meant by "unlimited productive energry". I find it hard to believe that the Tollan would have produced something ZPM level so early in their development(when compared to the Ancients and the Asgard). That was an early episode maybe its just another thing the writers want us to forget.

SoulReaver
December 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM
guess it's "unlimited" on the human scale or something - maybe even the Mark II naquadah generators could be considered an "unlimited" source if restricted to conventional non-military stuff (like providing electricity for day-to-day city life etc.) in that it'd take several human lifespans for them to run outa juice

McKay also used the word "indefinitely" figuratively when he said that without the hiveships firing at the city the shields would last indefinitely (it takes little power to keep the shields up as long as no force is applied to them)

Rodneys Gun Tutor
December 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Gotcha. I wonder what he meant by "unlimited productive energry". I find it hard to believe that the Tollan would have produced something ZPM level so early in their development(when compared to the Ancients and the Asgard). That was an early episode maybe its just another thing the writers want us to forget.

Like you said it was a long time ago. We'll never know what Narim was talking about.

Mister Oragahn
December 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
The episode 308 has proved that the ZPM can be depleted very fast under perfect control, and all that energy equally perfectly channeled through power conduits of lantian design. 50% f the ZPM was depleted within 20 seconds.