PDA

View Full Version : The Improvements! (3x14 - The Tao of Rodney spoilers)

FallenAngelII
December 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Rodney, apparentely, improved the city's power usage (yay us and our one ZPM!) and apparentely came up with a way to improve the Daedalus' shield, bar that Hermoid actually understands the instructions (if he doesn't, I vote for Rodney to take another crack at the Ascension Machine to figure it out again).

And with this, he's actually figured out how to improve the shields of the Odyssey and the Apollo too!

Great going, Rodney! Now we can take ever more hits from the Toilet Canon of Doom! Especially since the Odyssey now has a ZPM!

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
That's definately good for space combat. Green for you. :cool:

xfkirsten
December 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm still wondering, though - how much of that is he even going to be able to implement? He said at the end that everything he wrote was like gibberish to him. I got the impression that they may get some improvements, but not nearly as many as he'd originally thought.

FallenAngelII
December 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I'm still wondering, though - how much of that is he even going to be able to implement? He said at the end that everything he wrote was like gibberish to him. I got the impression that they may get some improvements, but not nearly as many as he'd originally thought.
He'd already improved the power usage and he'd written down explicit instructions for Hermoid (who's pretty smart because he's an Asgard). Besides, he only said the equations were gibberish to him. Of course they were, he'd just invented a new math.

I'm assuming he didn't use any random new things only a pre-Ascended person would understand when writing the instructions on how to improve the BC-303/DSC-30Xs shields, though.

Tanith
December 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
There's also the possible addition of
a hyperdrive to the jumpers!

Starxgate
December 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
he'd just invented a new math

Its not new math its ancient math. This is where Daniel would come in handy. Maybe they should take pictures of the equations & see if Daniel while at the SGC can figure them out or something

An-Alteran
December 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
WHAT!?

Ouroboros
December 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
So now they can hang around a little longer in combat doing nothing while hiveships and toilets crap all over them.

You should have focussed on the weapons Rodney, the weapons is what we needed you to do.:(

jenks
December 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Its not new math its ancient math. This is where Daniel would come in handy. Maybe they should take pictures of the equations & see if Daniel while at the SGC can figure them out or something

No, it's new. How could Daniel help?

SmallTimePerson
December 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
So now they can hang around a little longer in combat doing nothing while hiveships and toilets crap all over them.

You should have focussed on the weapons Rodney, the weapons is what we needed you to do.:(

well if the improvement to the shield is great enough then we could ram the ori shields (i doubt it though), but in the episode 301 we see the daedalus 1 v 1 is equal to a hive roughly

Jimbo-DR
December 12th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hopefully the improvements will be big enough that we can now handle hives. And who knows maybe we'll get some sort of more advanced weapon system that will be able to handle ha'taks with relative ease as well. It will certainly be helpful to not have Ori warships blink their eyelids in our direction and have us blow up in sheer amazement.

Ouroboros
December 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
well if the improvement to the shield is great enough then we could ram the ori shields (i doubt it though), but in the episode 301 we see the daedalus 1 v 1 is equal to a hive roughly

The Daedalus damaged one hive by using all its missiles at once in an ambush attack. Then it got really lucky by firing into some open launch bays and even after that still needed Michael to disable the jamming before it could win. I wouldn't count on being able to repeat those conditions in another battle.

The amout of fire the Daedalus can take is great for it's size, that was never the problem. The problem is the weapons aren't up to damaging/getting to the enemy ships.

FallenAngelII
December 12th, 2006, 10:51 PM
The machine did not imbue him with Ancient knowledge. It just unlocked his mind. What he came up isn't necessarily the least Ancienty.

SaberBlade
December 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM
The whole portable hyperdrive technology is what got my attention. Just think, perhaps we could finally give the F-302's hyperdrive technology,or perhaps use such technology to start creating smaller cargo ship or alkesh size ships.

It should be interesting to see what comes up over the next few episodes. Considering what Rodney knows about Ancient techology and even Ancient science, I think it would be cool seeing a Puddle Jumper capable of hyperdrive, cloaking and having shields. Our our little fleet of Ancient "warships".

VSHARMA
December 13th, 2006, 12:19 AM
The Daedalus damaged one hive by using all its missiles at once in an ambush attack. Then it got really lucky by firing into some open launch bays and even after that still needed Michael to disable the jamming before it could win. I wouldn't count on being able to repeat those conditions in another battle.

The amout of fire the Daedalus can take is great for it's size, that was never the problem. The problem is the weapons aren't up to damaging/getting to the enemy ships.

The 304's will never be able to take on a hive 1 on 1 without beaming Nukes. And that's not going happening with their Jamming Tech.
When you see a Hive Ship shooting at a 304, the Energy blasts of the weapon is something like 1/4 of the size of the 304's.......... So yes, for its size the Deadalus can take a lot of punishment.

Raj_2006
December 13th, 2006, 06:22 AM
The 304's will never be able to take on a hive 1 on 1 without beaming Nukes. And that's not going happening with their Jamming Tech.
When you see a Hive Ship shooting at a 304, the Energy blasts of the weapon is something like 1/4 of the size of the 304's.......... So yes, for its size the Deadalus can take a lot of punishment.

Well the only thing i see tht needs a great deal improving is:-

1) The missiles need to go faster and able to maunvoer.
2) Intoduce the K-Naq wound tht every1 has mentioned ( for those who don't know wht i'm talking about just which Singluarity). :D

If they introduce the K-Naq round they won't need missiles and will have more room for amour or others things. :D

Edit: isn't "Tao of Rodney" episode 3x15 not 3x14 and has it come out in Canada ?

immhotep
December 13th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Actually its not anything new, Carter and Oniel already have what mkcay needs, its base 8 maths, not base 10, thats all. We have know this for 8 seasons!

FallenAngelII
December 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Actually its not anything new, Carter and Oniel already have what mkcay needs, its base 8 maths, not base 10, thats all. We have know this for 8 seasons!
Why do people just assume it's old math? He said he'd just invented a new math. It's most probably something completely new. Because it will "revolutionize the way we perceive" reality or whatever.

Suffice to say, it's nothing we've seen before like the math the Ancients used.

Rodney didn't get any Ancient knowledge downloaded into his brain. His brain was unlocked. You really think Rodney doesn't know about the Ancients' base 8 math?

Jimbo-DR
December 13th, 2006, 06:28 PM

What the heck are you talking about?

The math equations that Oneill came up with back in "The Fifth Race" was a "revolutionary formula for calculating the distance between planetary bodies". It was base 8 presumably because for Galactic Wide gate travel you need 8 points in space total.

If the only trick to figuring out Ancient math was that it was all in base 8 then we would already be flying around in Ancient Warships.

ziga1980
December 14th, 2006, 12:29 AM

yes they fired all missiles at once, because that way some will actually do damage and wont get intercepted by darts. in my way of thinking our missiles do enough damage, the hive was damaged to the point where they lost hyperdrive. also, deadalus moved to intercept fire for orion and that's when they lost life support and michael had to disable jamming so they could beam GAS in the remaining hive.

note that rail gun fire in the weapons bay caused the wraith a lot of damage and they stoped firing.

my guess is that 304 isnt equal to a hive but it's capable of fighting it and win (damaged however but in one piece).

ziga1980
December 14th, 2006, 12:39 AM
i really want to see the improvements. i hope this will not simply be forgotten.

but i think that i reality rodney would focus on weapons, power source, and finally the shields. come on, lets face it, we need a decent weapons system very badly, also power requirements are a problem. we have asgard shields, and i belive they're sufficient for now. there must another power source, besides project arcturus, zpm, and naquadah generator, and mckay could figure it out with his brilliant mind.

but if we get some weapons capable of whooping hatak's ass the whole universe would implode. thats so boring, a little weapon for our ships, come on, it's not like we're gonna take on the wraith/jaffa/la/ori with 2 ships (3 in near future).

Anonmatel
December 15th, 2006, 10:10 PM
The fact that we don't have people lined up using the Ascension machine annoys me. Imagine the leaps foward in technology and understanding of the universe if we used it more.

Hopefully someone "sacrifices" themselves in the future to save lots of people when the city gets attacked by the wraith again.

2ndgenerationalteran
December 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
what do you mean no one was lined up? Shep was asking wier to be first subtlely and zelenka clearly indicated he wanted in on the advancements too. At that point they didnt know it would ascend them they seemed to be under the impression that it was meant for a supersoldier against their enemies. Then at the end mcay did point out that he was lucky he wasnt melted down during the process or something like that.

i would love to see them use all the things rodney did, reconfigure power throughout the city, PJ hyperdrive (i dont think we will get to see this), shield upgrades. Though i have he feeling that we may hear Hermiod say something like he doesnt know how to use it to upgrade the shields, and mcay wont remember how to either.

Anonmatel
December 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
what do you mean no one was lined up? Shep was asking wier to be first subtlely and zelenka clearly indicated he wanted in on the advancements too. At that point they didnt know it would ascend them they seemed to be under the impression that it was meant for a supersoldier against their enemies. Then at the end mcay did point out that he was lucky he wasnt melted down during the process or something like that.

i would love to see them use all the things rodney did, reconfigure power throughout the city, PJ hyperdrive (i dont think we will get to see this), shield upgrades. Though i have he feeling that we may hear Hermiod say something like he doesnt know how to use it to upgrade the shields, and mcay wont remember how to either.

I mean't at the end of the episode.
I know at the end of the episode they mentioned that McKay was lucky to be alive. What about somone who hasn't many issues, who very spiritual, and who does a lot of meditating, surely they would be able to ascend...

Can you imagine a ZPM powering the upgraded shields? It would be cool. but we need more weapons...

2ndgenerationalteran
December 15th, 2006, 11:22 PM
the vid i watched had the volume drop super low at the end so i couldnt hear what they were saying that well, but i think they meant that rodney was lucky to have survived the initial gene acceleration because some didnt survive that first interaction with the machine or something like that... if im wrong sorry, and please correct me.

Dalario
December 15th, 2006, 11:59 PM
the vid i watched had the volume drop super low at the end so i couldnt hear what they were saying that well, but i think they meant that rodney was lucky to have survived the initial gene acceleration because some didnt survive that first interaction with the machine or something like that... if im wrong sorry, and please correct me.
I guess we watched the same video because I heard the same thing you are talking about... but anyway, I think it worth the risk...

helio9
December 16th, 2006, 01:03 AM

Daniel doesn't know anything about math. In the SG-1 where they were trying to kill Apophis in that minefield, he didn't understand why it was important for a civilization to understand the concept of zero (Carter explained it to him).

Even if Daniel was once aware of the 'ideas' of the math Rodney created, I dont think he knows enough standard, current math notation to be able to decipher any of it.

I don't mean to bash Daniel, he's a good guy, and he speaks 26 unclassified languages, plus Gould, Ancient, and the Unas language. But math isn't his thing.

On a separate note, most of the improvements Rodney made were fairly applied. He said he had made up a design for a prototype hyperdrive for the PJs, and shield mods for ships. If they follow the instructions blindly, they'll probably get a result, even if they dont fully understand them yet.

As for the "new math" that could be more problematic. It seemed highly abstract, and there are relatively few human mathematicians who specialize in pure, abstract math. The best bet for understanding that is to give it to the Asgard for analysis.

One other thing worth noting is that Rodney may have surpassed the IQ of normal pre-ascension Ancients. Notice how when Sheppard was trapped in that place that sped up time with the Ancients trying to ascend, each Ancient only had one special ability (ie healing, telepathy, etc). But Rodney by himself had everything. No wonder his brain was a little messed up.

PS - He really should have drawn up a design for some ship based weapons. Against the Ori/Wraith, rail guns are basically pea-shooters.

ziga1980
December 16th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Daniel doesn't know anything about math. In the SG-1 where they were trying to kill Apophis in that minefield, he didn't understand why it was important for a civilization to understand the concept of zero (Carter explained it to him).

Even if Daniel was once aware of the 'ideas' of the math Rodney created, I dont think he knows enough standard, current math notation to be able to decipher any of it.

I don't mean to bash Daniel, he's a good guy, and he speaks 26 unclassified languages, plus Gould, Ancient, and the Unas language. But math isn't his thing.

On a separate note, most of the improvements Rodney made were fairly applied. He said he had made up a design for a prototype hyperdrive for the PJs, and shield mods for ships. If they follow the instructions blindly, they'll probably get a result, even if they dont fully understand them yet.

As for the "new math" that could be more problematic. It seemed highly abstract, and there are relatively few human mathematicians who specialize in pure, abstract math. The best bet for understanding that is to give it to the Asgard for analysis.

One other thing worth noting is that Rodney may have surpassed the IQ of normal pre-ascension Ancients. Notice how when Sheppard was trapped in that place that sped up time with the Ancients trying to ascend, each Ancient only had one special ability (ie healing, telepathy, etc). But Rodney by himself had everything. No wonder his brain was a little messed up.

PS - He really should have drawn up a design for some ship based weapons. Against the Ori/Wraith, rail guns are basically pea-shooters.

well daniel did decipher stargate symbols, he also deciphered gate addresses, because before he did it they thought that stargate only goes to abydos. however i still dont get it why he would be the one to figure out the "new math" if the author (mckay) himself cant do it.

yeah, well about weapons. if we're going to see any of the improvements he came up with it's gonna be great. PJ hyperdrive, deadalus/oddsey/apollo with improved asgard shields. i really hope we get to see it, but if we got any weapons that would be tooo much for the writers.

NATIK
December 16th, 2006, 02:05 AM
but if we got any weapons that would be tooo much for the writers.

Not really, if we got proper weapons the writers would finally be able tp prove to us that it really was numbers that the wraith won with and the weapons would have to be very powerfull to seriously dent the power gap between Tau'ri ships and Ori ships.

With the deadalus capable of taking down a hive alone without suffering serious damage I actually forsee a much more interesting series where the Atlantis expedition could do some stuff they hadnt been able to so far.

ziga1980
December 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Not really, if we got proper weapons the writers would finally be able tp prove to us that it really was numbers that the wraith won with and the weapons would have to be very powerfull to seriously dent the power gap between Tau'ri ships and Ori ships.

With the deadalus capable of taking down a hive alone without suffering serious damage I actually forsee a much more interesting series where the Atlantis expedition could do some stuff they hadnt been able to so far.

i agree, but the writers dont. that's the problem. it would come down to numbers, and two of our ships in pegasus wouldnt do much against the wraith. but they seem to ignore this.

Zepro
December 16th, 2006, 05:53 AM
To be honest... I'm more interested in Rodney's method of making the computers 10 times faster... *salivates* Core 3...

Col. Matarrese
December 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM
To be honest... I'm more interested in Rodney's method of making the computers 10 times faster... *salivates* Core 3...

actually, i think it was 100 times faster...core uhhh...core 200 duo macbooks abound :cool:

oops, no I just watched it again and of course it's not 100 times...it's 10

ziga1980
December 16th, 2006, 11:56 AM
why is every ancient computer terminal the size of a piano??? i mean even their keyboard is huge. couldn't they invent a small keyboard and a monitor??

Zepro
December 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM
actually, i think it was 100 times faster...core uhhh...core 200 duo macbooks abound :cool:

oops, no I just watched it again and of course it's not 100 times...it's 10

Still.... 10x what we've got now... that's like what? 40 ghz on a clocked up Core 2...

helio9
December 16th, 2006, 07:42 PM
If his Shield mods work for our Asgard sheilds, it might help out the Asgard too. But they'd never admit that a lowly human improved their shields.

Atreyu
December 17th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Now correct me if im wrong but didnt Rodney say that he'd uploaded a schematic for the Puddle Jumpers hyperdrive generator into the Anchient Database? All they'd need to do is access the schematic and follow the instructions (presuming he'd actually added intructions and not just pictures).

wise one
December 17th, 2006, 06:37 AM
i thought rodney said something about the shield power ....POWER not actually a new type of shield

just improvents in the power area

well that what i thought when he said that

immhotep
December 17th, 2006, 06:52 AM
He said shield strength i believe.

FallenAngelII
December 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM
The writers messed up.

Those people weren't Ancients. They even said they weren't themselves (well, they said "We come from a race which worship those who came before us, the people who built this place.")

ziga1980
December 17th, 2006, 01:07 PM
The writers messed up.

Those people weren't Ancients. They even said they weren't themselves (well, they said "We come from a race which worship those who came before us, the people who built this place.")

not necessarily meaning they're not their descendants. although i agree that it's most logical to assume they're not the ancients.

FallenAngelII
December 18th, 2006, 03:07 AM
not necessarily meaning they're not their descendants. although i agree that it's most logical to assume they're not the ancients.
There are other things as well.

TEER: Well, they came generations ago.

"Generations" means a long time, but not that long. Let's say they'd been there for 10 generations.

10 generations = approximately 250 years if we assume they were approximately 25 each time they made babies.

250 years of their time inside of that field = 1 year of real life time. If this is the case, then their ancestors (the ones who went into that field) came there 9,999 years after the Ancients left Pegasus. So, what, they wandered Pegasus for 9,999 years, not interacting with a single race besides themselves, avoiding the Wraith and whatnot and then went into the Sanctuary 1 year ago (presuming they'd lost its location due to stupidity)?

If she meant "generations" as in real time generations (which would be weird), 215 they'd been in there for 62500 of their years.

62,500 years. I'd say it takes tons of inbreeding for a group of people to survive that long. What a pretty thought.

.jolinar.
December 19th, 2006, 06:01 AM

It was just the new math he'd invented that he didnt understand. He'd already finished the designs for the shield power increaseand given them to Hermoid
to impliment.
He had also put simulations for Puddle Jumper's hyperdrive engine into Atlantis's computers so we might be able to make somthing out of that.

2ndgenerationalteran
December 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM
i really hope hermiod can understand that shield upgrade, i think the jumpers should have bathrooms before hyperdrives though. priorities ;)

Raj_2006
December 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM
just 1 thing, u will think if the Puddle jumpers will already have hyperdrives. Because not every planet may not have a stargate or could be either buried, have a shield or iris and it maybe destryed.

immhotep
December 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM
i really hope hermiod can understand that shield upgrade, i think the jumpers should have bathrooms before hyperdrives though. priorities ;)
Portaloos!:D

PG15
December 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM
just 1 thing, u will think if the Puddle jumpers will already have hyperdrives. Because not every planet may not have a stargate or could be either buried, have a shield or iris and it maybe destryed.

Then the Lantians would just use their normal, hyperdrive-capable ships.

FallenAngelII
December 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
That's what big ships are for. The puddlejumpers are Gateships (confirmed by the Asurans). They're built to go through the gate.

Raj_2006
December 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM
That's what big ships are for. The puddlejumpers are Gateships (confirmed by the Asurans). They're built to go through the gate.

but what happens if there was no BIG ships about, what then? They could of just given the puddle jumpers intersteller hyperdrivs.

helio9
December 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM
If they can do it, then giving the PJs hyperdrive's could be really useful, especially when you can't mass produce larger starships (ie we've built a total of 4, 2 of which were destroyed).

PG15
December 20th, 2006, 02:37 PM
but what happens if there was no BIG ships about, what then? They could of just given the puddle jumpers intersteller hyperdrivs.

Under what circumstances would they not have big ships? It's not like they ruled Pegasus with half-a-dozen ships or anything.

PJs are for short-range exploration using the gates, and the bigger ships are for getting to the remote places. Seems to work for me.

Dutch_Razor
December 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I wasn't in for reading 3 pages but don't Jumpers already have hyperdrives?

jenks
December 20th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I wasn't in for reading 3 pages but don't Jumpers already have hyperdrives?

no...

VSHARMA
December 23rd, 2006, 12:24 AM

If the F-302's had HyperDrive tech on them using Naqahdriah, I don't see why PJ's can't have them.

2ndgenerationalteran
December 24th, 2006, 12:41 AM
i dont see where the hyperdrive would fit in the PJ. The drive pods are stored beneath the seats, drones are large and would take up more room elsewhere. I dont know how they could fit in everything the jumper has in such a small ammount of space, the cloak and shield generators would take up room, the hyperdrive would probably take up a considerable ammount of room as well. Being that PJ power seems limited maintaining a hyperspace window would also call for sometype of shielding for hyperspace radiation, the PJs wouldnt be able to get very far in hyperspace.

Jimbo-DR
December 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM
If the F-302's had HyperDrive tech on them using Naqahdriah, I don't see why PJ's can't have them.

Keep in mind that still doesn't work.

.jolinar.
December 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Keep in mind that still doesn't work.

Errr...Yes it does.

I dont see why we shouldnt be able to fit a hyperdrive into a PJ.
Can you accually imagine a PJ going into hyperspace? I can. It looks so cool.

ancientaction
December 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Ok, im in USofA, so i guess ppl in other parts of this great planet have seen some of the other eps of the season...

so if sombody has. PM me with a lil spoilage please, lol

just wanna know if some of the ancient aboard that ship were actually ancients, and if so, did they get killed off?

FallenAngelII
December 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM
That's like asking why we don't make sure airplanes can go into space in case we need to go into space one day and all of our spacerockets/-ships break down.

The Gateships were built for a specific purpose. They don't need a hyperdrive for what they do.

The Ancients had more than just Aurora-class warships. From what we saw in "Progeny", they have at least another class of warships. And from what we heard in "Before I Sleep", they apparentely have carrier ships used to ferry people back and forth.

It's safe to assume they didn't expect to ever run out of ships.

And what would the purpose of a tiny little Puddlejumper with a hyperdrive be, anyway? Not to mention that you probably would have to power it somehow. The puddle jumper is quite small.

If they can do it, then giving the PJs hyperdrive's could be really useful, especially when you can't mass produce larger starships (ie we've built a total of 4, 2 of which were destroyed).
Umm... we're Earth. We're nothing compared to what the Ancients were. You don't think they could mass produce warships and carrier ships? The only reason why they wouldn't be able to produce them anymore would be if their factories were destroyed. And I haven't seen any Gateship factories on Atlantis, so it's not like they could spew out Gateships while under siege.

We have 2 other ships in the making (I think).

Three PhDs
December 27th, 2006, 02:52 AM

He did say "I've invented a new math."

Jimbo-DR
December 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Errr...Yes it does.

I dont see why we shouldnt be able to fit a hyperdrive into a PJ.
Can you accually imagine a PJ going into hyperspace? I can. It looks so cool.

No, it doesn't. The original Hyperdrives were unstable due to Naquadria energy output and didn't work over long distances. The only time we successfully used them was against Anubis's mother ship because we only had to go like half a mile through Hyperspace.

The Buffer that we used in "Memento" would probably work(if it isn't too large), but remember that its dangerous because if it is destroyed you would be stranded in Deep Space.