This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing Carson -- possible spoilers for any and all SGA eps to this point

(I'm a newbie, so please forgive me and feel free to point me to the threads if this horse is long dead and beyond the point of beating for any further return.)

Taking a look back through the last two and a half seasons at what were, for me, the episodes where Carson was best integrated into the plot and not just an afterthought? It seems that Carl Binder is the writer with the best handle on both the character and balancing his interactions with the team. First season it was a bit more even handed, with Kindler penning Poisoning the Well and Gero The Storm/The Eye. But since then CB seems to be the only writer with a deft touch at including Carson where he doesn't seem to be either a set decoration or a tacked on afterthought, or there to spew diagnoses and dialogue--as seemed to be his main function in The Tao of Rodney.

For me, that means episodes like Inferno, Phantoms, the Hive, Before I Sleep and Letters From Pegasus. Even Irresistable, with it's mixed reception from the fans, was arguably a great Carson episode. (I thought it was wonderfully funny, unlike the followup by M&M.) And while I liked Carson's inclusion in Common Ground this season, Rambo!Carson going in ahead of the Marines with guns in a combat situation required too much suspension of disbelief on my part.

Sateda, Robert Cooper's episode, is another good use of Carson where he feels integrated into the episode rather than an afterthought. Then again, Robert Cooper co-wrote Rising, so I'm not surprised--not like I was when I discovered that all of the episodes on my "Best Carson eps" list were Binder's, and a great many of my favorite episodes in general were as well.

So maybe therein lies part of the problem with making him a regular cast member instead of remaining a recurring character, such as David Nykl with Zelenka? Writers like Gero, who admit to having Rodneyopia, just aren't as able to integrate him into the action, and so it feels awkward to have to include him because of contractual obligations. And also, perhaps, therein lies at least part of the reason Carson and McGillion are being shunted aside, however permanently or temporarily? (And given some rumors, Tori and Weir, as well, since Carl's name seems to come up regularly in association wtih her, as well?)

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?
    Last edited by nonniemous; 12 December 2006, 09:25 AM.
    sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
    ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by nonniemous View Post
    So maybe therein lies part of the problem with making him a regular cast member instead of remaining a recurring character, such as David Nykl with Zelenka? Writers like Gero, who admit to having Rodneyopia, just aren't as able to integrate him into the action, and so it feels awkward to have to include him because of contractual obligations. And also, perhaps, therein lies at least part of the reason Carson and McGillion are being shunted aside, however permanently or temporarily? (And given some rumors, Tori and Weir, as well, since Carl's name seems to come up regularly in association wtih her, as well?)

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone? Anyone?
    I agree with what you said about Gero and Binder. It's sad actually, since I really like Gero's style of writing and his episodes in general, but I would want Carson included so badly. ): No idea why he wasn't in M&MM at all, maybe it was because Paul McGillion wanted a holiday *lol*, but I missed him a lot in that one. Carson is one of Rodney's closest friends (or possibly the closest after John) and should be included more appropriately. It's not that he doesn't get screentime at all (well, except for M&MM), but he's involved physically rather than emotionally in those episodes.

Binder, on the other hand, seems to have a good grasp on all of the characters and especially their interactions. I mean, how awesome was "Echoes"? I loved all those little team scenes. It wasn't a major episode for Carson, yet a lot of his character and feelings came through.
    Last edited by leelakin; 12 December 2006, 10:22 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X