Starcraft - The Stargate (TV) game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starcraft - The Stargate (TV) game!

Here's an interesting thing. OK, so I argued about the similarities of Starcraft to Stargate Atlantis in the Season Three section but I was playing through it today in mission mode (for Brood Wars) and was hit by a certain word:
    Stargate

Yes, Executor (I believe) uttered the word "Stargate". Apparentely, the Starcraft Stargate is a gate through which you step to be transported to another gate of the same kind, located on another planet! Sounds familiar?

Not only that, do you know what Starcraft is? You don't? Then let me tell you about it!

Starcraft is a Real Time strategy game. It was released in 1998 (yes, ages ago) and an expension pack, Brood Wars, was released the same year. You can play as 3 different races:
    Zerg
    Terran
    Protoss

I listed the three races above according to technological advancement. Now let us take a closer look at the three races.

The Zerg is a primordal race. They're very reptile-like and their troops use no technology whatsoever. However, they do still have to build buildings. Every single one of these buildings is organic. Yes, you heard me, their buildings are organic!

To build a Zerg building, you need so called Creep, which is a surface substance which spreads from any Zerg buildings (slowly outwards). If you want to build on an empty creep-like location, you have to build a Hatchery, a kind of headquarter-building out of which all troops are spawned. Hatcheries can be evolved into Hives (and then further into Lairs).

Not only that, the race itself is kinda "immortal". It doesn't matter how much damage a troop or a building takes, it will automatically regenerate (even while being attacked). Though this is slow, both the Zerg troops and buildings will automatically regenerate at all times.

Funny note: There's a Zerg troop called a Queen. The Queens can spawn broods (weak melee fighters) or infest a Terran Command Center (equivalent of the Zerg Hatchery) and through it create Terran/Zerg hybrid suicide bombers.

Moving onto the Terrans. The Terrans are humans from Earth. They wield mediocre technology (way above the Zerg, who utilize no technology but below the Protoss who are way beyond the Terran techonologically).

They can educate ground troops through Academies, vehicle-based troops through Factories and aircraft through Starports. Of the aircraft, there's a smaller ship called a Wraith which can cloak itself. There's also a Battlecruiser, which is a huge vehicle with lots of destructive power but whose firing capabilities are very slow. They have a powerful burst-weapon which requires powering up that's called the Yamato Gun. It's very destructive.

Ground troops include Ghosts, troops with rifles that can cloak themselves. The ghosts can also deploy Nukes, one the deadliest weapons in the game. A red dot will appear at the target area and then it'll take a few seconds (15?) before the nuke strikes. Killing the ghost cancels the nuke.

The nuke is a formidable weapon as it can be very hard to spot a cloaked ghost as you need either a missile turrent (all of which have the ability to detect cloaked things) or a cloak detecting troop nearby.

The nuke is much less useful against the Zerg, however, because they have plenty of Overlords running around naturally and Overlords detect cloaked troops/vehicles!

The Terran are just like normal humans. If a ship is damaged, it needs to be repaired by an SCV. If a troop is wounded, it needs to be healed by a Medic (also a troop). The medic also have temporarily enhancing drugs which it can inject into troops. If a Terran building catches fire, it will slowly lose intregrity (health points) 'til it reaches zero and blows up. A Terran building catches fire after taking heavy damage.

The Protoss are a highly advanced race. Every troop and every building has a shield which automatically regenerates (slowly) or which can be regenerated through the use of a Shield Battery (building).

Troops include Templars, extremely powerful sorcerers who float because of their mind-powers. They also have High Templars who are cloaked. While Terran cloaks require power and ultimately run out, Protoss cloaks are forever.

Air troops include Arbiters, which cloak other units within a certain radius, Carriers, huge aircraft which fights using Interceptors; smaller ships (8 total per Carrier).

It's also the Protoss that in Single Player Mode use Stargates to move from one planet to another.

The similarities to Stargate are uncanny, don't ya' think?

I dont know about starcraft but about 3 years back there was a game where these evil aliens going throgh a huge stargate it was called a stargate as well they came to earth which was in prestant day i try to distroy it but i can't remnber what it was called but i saw a trailer for it
    sigpic
    Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
    Metal gear fan

Comment

i know what your talking about i use to have starcaft. i played a the protoss mostly. the warith remind of the the zerg and i ways wounder who wouldn in fight between the zerg and the replicters

Comment

You obviously didn't read the whole species history given in the game's manual (IIRC), or you'd mention the other big connection (plagarism?) between Starcraft and Stargate. The original Zerg was a small, worm creature that burrowed into a larger host animal and took control of its nervous system. Sound familiar?

But then Blizzard brought in the Overmind and some other wrinkles to differnetiate the materials. For one, the Goa'uld never showed the potential to completely rewrite a species' DNA to transform it into a more suitable creature.

a time to mourn

Comment

There's a terrain doodad in Starcraft that's basically an off-world Gate.

The guys at Blizzard always put pop-culture references into their games. There are a couple Stargate, Star Trek and Star Wars references in Starcraft. Not to mention one or two Dune references I caught.

Comment

interesting...

But you mucked one thing up at least.

The Stargate in starcraft was not a portal to other worlds, A Stargate in Starcraft is a Protoss building that manufactures Carriers and scouts and Arbiters, it's the equivilent of the terran starport.

there was an ancient protoss device that transported people to other worlds, it was called a warp gate.

Warp Gate

A Warp Gate is an example of ancient Protoss psionic technology in the fictional StarCraft universe.

During the Aeon of Strife, a great Protoss civil war, Protoss warriors created Warp Gates to travel great distances instantaneously, rather than using the slower process of space travel. The knowledge involved in their creation has been lost, but on some planets, these gates still remain.

Aiur had a single Warp Gate which survived the Aeon of Strife, but it was destroyed by the Protoss during the attack of the United Earth Directorate on Aiur. Another Warp Gate is present on Shakuras, a planet abandoned by the Xel'Naga and inhabited by the Dark Templar. It is possible that the Shakuras Warp Gate had been built by Xel'Naga or the Dark Templar rediscovered the technology.

Zeratul demonstrated greater knowledge of the Gate than the Judicator, Aldaris. He was able to "set" its destination to the Warp Gate on Shakuras.

Warp Gates should not be confused with the Protoss Gateway and the Protoss Stargate, which are effectively inferior forms of that technology.
            Also, I'm pretty sure the Zerg AND the Protoss were actualy the result of a superior race known as the Xel'Naga who engineered each race, The Proteoss broke down into civil war over their worship of these beings, and the Zerg managed to adapt and get out of control...

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
            There's a terrain doodad in Starcraft that's basically an off-world Gate.

The guys at Blizzard always put pop-culture references into their games. There are a couple Stargate, Star Trek and Star Wars references in Starcraft. Not to mention one or two Dune references I caught.
            not all of that was atted in '98 when the game came out, some of it is put in when they do patches I think... little blizzard easter eggs.

the fire bat has an obvious refrence to Hank from "king of the Hill"

Comment

ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKE

Comment

I alway preferred the Alien vs. Predator comparisons for Starcraft.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

race known as the Xel'Naga who engineered each race
                  yeah thats rember when im firend was first telling me about the game. we got in to a long talk about who would win the gou'ald or the zerg and i think i said some thing about anbuis wining i think.

ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKE
                  thats why i all wasy pick the protoss with there ion guns things. i build lots of them and by the time any zergs get to any were inporent most of them are dead

Comment

Originally posted by lord-anubis View Post
                    thats why i all wasy pick the protoss with there ion guns things. i build lots of them and by the time any zergs get to any were inporent most of them are dead
                    sifnt zergling rush?

Comment

i never liked that zerg that much and they never give me that much of a problem when i played. i all ways build fort i work on makeing the best defaces and then work on my air power. also tanks or what are they call for the protoss um dargons? i build lots of thous and bitzkgrke. to be honest thou i dident play much one on one cuz i heard people cheated alot online

Comment

zergling rush will come well before you get base defences, let alone aircraft

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                          Troops include Templars, extremely powerful sorcerers who float because of their mind-powers. They also have High Templars who are cloaked. While Terran cloaks require power and ultimately run out, Protoss cloaks are forever.
                          High Templars are the ones who float because of their mind-powers. Dark Templars are the ones who are cloaked.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                            zergling rush will come well before you get base defences, let alone aircraft
                            thats why i builds as many canons or bunkers as fast as i can. i have been lucky thou beacsue most of the people i have play usely take there time giveing me some time to build some kind of stonghold

Comment

Originally posted by lord-anubis View Post
                              thats why i builds as many canons or bunkers as fast as i can. i have been lucky thou beacsue most of the people i have play usely take there time giveing me some time to build some kind of stonghold
                              I just block the main entrances with Supply Depots and Barracks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X