PDA

View Full Version : Will you give season 4 a chance?

Mitchell82
December 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
First off I don't see this anywhere if there is I apologise also mods could you make this a poll?
Yes
No
Mabey
Undecided
I vote yes as I still have alot of faith in this show despite loosing Carson and gaining Carter which I think could be good for the show as she has a great chemistry with the SGA cast. I beleieve SGA still has alot of great stories to tell and can last. Hopefully most will give it a chance.

ToasterOnFire
December 9th, 2006, 05:34 PM
YES! There are two big things that would cause me to give up this show cold turkey and I don't see them happening anytime soon if at all, so I'll be around. ;) Oh, I'll rant, complain, or be frustrated if this show has a bad ep or storyline or whatever, but I'll still be watching. :)

The Sweet Guy
December 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I'll keep watching of course but with hesitation.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 9th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I watch anything SG without a single thought.

PG15
December 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Hell Yes!

techjunkie
December 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM
My first response is NO. Nothing stands out this season for me, other than retreads of other stories, and silly Star Trek solutions. And by the looks of how Sci-Fi is NOT marketing this season... I don't see it getting better.

Think of this season as SG's 'Galactica 1980'. All we need now are groups of children getting into trouble, boy scouts and a new 'Dr. Z'. Wait for it... Samantha Carter is going to join the show next season for up to 10 episodes. Bleach her hair white... hmmm...

My second answer is probably yes, if this season can regain my interest. Get rid of the brain-numbing boring 'stuff' and bring in some suspense through better writing, and exploring the shows original premise.

The show does have great characters. Next season the addition of a few more and the rotation out of at least one 'may inject new life' into the series. Or then again, it can be the classic 'jumping of the shark'.

Yup, I wanna explore Atlantis. That was the reason for the series in the first place. Not turn Atlantis into Grand Central Station. Let's get on with the premise of exploring the human condition - and another retread of a badly written idea.

Tech Junkie.

Avenger
December 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Absolutely.

Render
December 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
HELLS YES, 4 promises to be a season of change, especially with Tapping paying a visit, in all honesty the purpose of these shows is ENTERTAINMENT, a lot of people seem to have lost sight of that, it killed Trek, and if we let it, it will kill Stargate

rarocks24
December 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Yes, but pass on the Lucius Lavin episodes.

jenks
December 9th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Ofcourse.

ShoDar
December 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Yes for 2 reasons

1. Even if there are changes that I may have misgivings about, SGA has a strong group of characters and S3 has kicked ass overall and I'd always be willing to tune in and give the show a second chance to refind it's centre.

2. I haven't heard anything that causes me to have strong misgivings yet, so #1 doesn't even apply and I'll look forward to the next season being just as good as this one.

B O Y S C O U T
December 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Yes times infinity, It has really grown and developed it's own very distinct style :)

Aussie_Fan
December 9th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I'll be watching it.

Descent
December 9th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Hell Yes!

^^What he said^^

If they keep up the great stuff they've been doing this season, I'll be there.

david2708
December 9th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Once Malozzi and Mullie take over in S4, I'll be bailing on the show. Their track record is horrendous and i won't waste my time on anything they have their hands in.

akren
December 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM
i will give all future seasons of SGA a chance - I will admit the show took so geeting used to (it's quite different from it's parent show IMHO); but I lvoe it nows. I wanna see more Wraith/Ford/exploring Atlantis thou! :P

travis
December 10th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Hell yeah, Atlantis forever:D (I hope)

Gen_J_O'Neill
December 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Absolutely YES!!

If TPTB continue the same standard of s3 into s4 i'll be ecstatic.

I cant wait to see AT join the team. I think she will bring some interesting story lines to the show. Im also looking forward to see how they incorporate her into the current team.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
December 10th, 2006, 12:49 AM
tbh i am gonna watch S4 but i dont like the fact that carter is going to atlantis she will proberly fk it up. NO CROSS OVERS!!!!!

ccdsah
December 10th, 2006, 03:08 AM
YEs, I'll give it the same chance I gave SG-1 Season 9 (6-7 episodes) !!! Hope it doesn't go the same way ('cause right now Atlantis is the only show I watch regularly)!!!

Aussie_Fan
December 10th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Once Malozzi and Mullie take over in S4, I'll be bailing on the show. Their track record is horrendous and i won't waste my time on anything they have their hands in.

I'm a bit worried about that as well but I'm still willing to give S4 a chance.

female Wraith
December 10th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Yes. I think SGA deserves many Seasons. But with M&M in charge I don't understand how this will happened. If I see Lucius one more time I will be very upset about the show.

IWantToBelieve
December 10th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Undomesticated equines would not keep me away.

Micropot
December 10th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Absolutely YES! I will watch anything Stargate :)

lily
December 10th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Absolutely.

Season 3 has been EXCELLENT. I didn't like Irresponsible, but I have to admit that it had some good parts. However, one mediocre episode in 13 doesn't make me think less of season 3. IMHO, out of the 13 we've seen so far, 10 are excellent, 1 very good, 1 good and 1 mediocre. So if the aired episodes as a whole so far are any indication, I'll be extremely happy with the rest of season 3 and season 4.

Having said that, I have to admit that I don't like the following about what I've heard from season 4:

1) Cast changes
Spoilers for cast changes:
I wouldn't change ANYTHING about the current cast The 6 regulars are EXCELLENT. They have a fantastic chemistry together (actors as well as characters). So I'm sad about Carson :(
But what I especially dislike is the possibility of any SG-1 moving to SGA as a regular. I rather see NEW characters than any SG-1 character moving to Atlantis. It hasn't been confirmed the number of episodes that Amanda Tapping will be there, and I haven't seen anything indicating that she'll be a regular. The ocassional guest spot such as the ones we've seen in McKay and Mrs Miller, I don't mind. I'm 100% against any SG-1 as a regular, though. And, I don't like the idea of any SG-1 at SGA as a recurring character for a number of episodes either. BUT if it has to be one SG-1 character as a recurring one, I guess I rather see Sam than any of the other characters.

2) Mallozzi and Mullie. When I first heard that they could be the new show runners I said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". I think they've written the worst episodes in the Stargate franchise in recent years. However, I've been thinking about it. I consider Robert Cooper a great writer, but a bad show runner. So maybe Mallozzi and Mullie surprise me the other way around. Maybe they are bad writers but they turn out to be good show runners. Maybe they're better at seeing the woods than a single tree. Who knows. Show runners don't have time to write many episodes so that will be good :p

Isil'zha
December 10th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I will give season 4 the chance I'm currently giving season 3. If an episode is good I'll download it off itunes, if it isn't, I won't pay to see it.

I'm just worried about what they're going to do with the Wraith now.

Astraldust
December 10th, 2006, 04:30 AM
An absolute YES. Loved SGA from the word go and it would have to be pretty bad before I'd tune out.

Even though I don't want Carson to leave or Sam coming over for a long stay, I'll give S4 a chance. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised because I have faith in Atlantis and want it to stay around for a few years yet. ;)

Platschu
December 10th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Yes.

The stargate universum is my favoritue virtual home. The SG shows entertaiment me every week and I am loyal to the crew since a decade. ;) I hope that there will be a new SG show in 2008 and the Stargate : World will be succesfull too to get new viewers. I would like to see more old and new races to bring back the old SG-1 feeling (exploration, first contact etc.) So they should write some episodes about the Oannes, the Chrystal skull's giants or other long forgotten races. They should make more story line connection with the MW this way. For example: we should learn about the Gadmeer or the Lifeboat aliens, how they left the Pegasus to reach MW etc. I wish that we will have at least 2-2 Teyla and / or Ronon centric episode. Teyla should discover more about her connection to the Wraith. Ronan should be a more intresting characters with past, hobbies etc.

But I what is the most important? I would like to see Martin Gero and Carl Binder as executive producer instead of Paul Mullie and Joseph Mallozzi! Martin Gero never made a bad episode. He is writing fresh, funny stories with good character events. If I know well he and Carl Binder were "supervisor producers", but they are the soul and the heart of the Atlantis show. This two writer made the most episode in Season 3:

No Mans Land - Martin Gero
Misbegotten - Paul Mullie
Irresistible - Carl Binder (story by Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper)
Sateda - Robert C. Cooper
Progeny - Carl Binder
The Real World - Carl Binder
Common Ground - Ken Cuperus
McKay and Mrs. Miller - Martin Gero
Phantoms - Carl Binder
The Return, Part 1 - Martin Gero
The Return, Part 2 - Martin Gero
Echoes - Carl Binder (story by Brad Wright & Carl Binder)
Irresponsible - Paul Mullie and Joseph Mallozzi
Sunday - Martin Gero
Tao of McKay - Martin Gero
The Game - Carl Binder (story by Don Whitehead and Holly Henderson)
The Ark - Ken Cuperus (story by Ken Cuperus & Scott Nimerfro)
Submersion - Carl Binder
Vengeance - Carl Binder
First Strike - Martin Gero

P-90_177
December 10th, 2006, 05:45 AM
of course i will. i love sga. i don't think there's a single bad ep apart from irrisistable. the writing is great and the stories keep getting better. i think adding AT to it will only make it better. and lets face it she's only there temporarly as a guest member. it's hardly going to wreck the show. i just don't see why people don't like season 3.

Rootortoise
December 10th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Undomesticated equines would not keep me away.
hehehe!!!

YES i will be watching season 4, because i love the show and i love sheppard!

however i will be watching with caution, and if all these various changes to the show proove detrimental to it, then i will sadly stop watching, or at least not be so pastionate about the show anymore.
I really do want to keep watching, i guess we will just have to wait and see where they take season 4, unfortunatley getting rid of carson AND adding little miss perfect carter to the show have already put a dampner on my exitement for season 4, oh and M and M (although im with the person who said maybe theyll make better showrunners than writers *fingers crossed*)!!
so at the moment the answer is YES, but with caution!

ShadowMaat
December 10th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Undecided. Season 3 has been even more full of crap than the mediocre season 2 was and given that the two people whose stories I dislike the most are going to be headlining the show next year, I'm not sure I want to see how much worse things can get. Add to that factors like the marginalization of the Wraith in favor of villains "borrowed" from SG-1, the removal of a main character for no apparent reason (other than that the writers were once again clueless about what to do with him), the addition of another Pointless Hot Chick, the horrifying possibility of another Lucius ep, the unlikelihood of anyone ever bothering to explore the city, the overenthusiastic use of the Big Red Reset Button in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE (that isn't a two-parter) and the fact that anyone who isn't Shep or McKay is lucky to get one ep per season centering on them and, well... let's just say I don't have a lot of incentive to watch.

That being said, there are one or two things I might tune in to see, but it would most likely be individual eps I'd watch rather than the whole season. Exceptions to the rule. ;)

Yes, that's all simply my interpretation of things, thank you.

Pocus
December 10th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I will have to say YES!!!! I love the whole Stargate Universe and will take it anyway I can get it.

That being said, I am a little worried about the number of changes the show is going to go through. I am hoping that it does not return next season as an unrecognizable, flat, boring, Scifi show. Right now the chemistry between actors and characters is what I look forward to. I really can't wait to tune in and see what my friends are doing this week. Too many additions and subtractions are going to change the mix. Hopefully it will add more dimension, but I really hope it is handled right.

lily
December 10th, 2006, 07:12 AM
i just don't see why people don't like season 3.
There will always be fans who like and fans who dislike certain episodes / whole seasons of a show.

Personally, from what I've seen in lots of forums, mailing lists and livejournals, a lot of fans think season 3 is the best season of Atlantis so far. This is just the impression I get from being in the fandom. It doesn't mean it's right/wrong/false/true. Just that in general I've read an overwhelming number of positive posts about season 3 being the best and very few about liking another season more.

Dax
December 10th, 2006, 08:16 AM
yes maybe. But they really have to keep up the quality of it. Seems like every second half of the seasons they pump out half-assed episodes one after another. I certainy wont pay $60 per month for cable just to get the Sci Fi channel to see SGA anymore if it really gets bad with the ex-SG1 producers leading. but of course who's paying these days when eps are up within hours through other means that Sci Fi gets nothing in returns if no one bother to see their ads and pay for the channel. ;)

nonniemous
December 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Maybe. Given the changes we know they're making, probably not.

As I've said in another thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=6039986#post6039986), TPTB went to a great deal of trouble to establish SGA as a very different show from SG1, darker and with far more fallible heroes--and given that, I really don't see how they can integrate Carter into the show at all, not without changing either SGA or Carter drastically. As a fan of both, I don't want to see that happen to either the show or the character.

I started watching SGA because hey, Stargate and I've always liked Rodney. I'd have been a fair-weather fan from that point, but when I saw Poisoning the Well, I was hooked solidly. Not just the characters, but because of the issues that episode explored which showed the potential the show had--and which I felt it fulfilled largely in Season 1, and spottingly in SEason 2. This season so far they've returned to more of the Season 1 style of episodes that made me fall for the show in the first place. Given the changes in both cast and production team that are on slate, I doubt very much Season 4 will live up to that quality.

Dumping the Wraith in favor of the Asurans? Er, just say no? But evidently it's easier to retread a familiar villain from SG1 rather than be creative enough to explore the villains and deal with the constraints they've created for themselves in SGA. I'd advise checking out L.E. Modesitt's Recluce series for some ideas about writing yourself out of corners without sweeping aside the rules you've created for your universe, as well as the new Earthsea books LeGuin wrote twenty-five years after the original series. Some efforts succeed better than others; still, more often than not, the result is some truly creative storytelling. But I guess Stargate's PTB are too busy working out the costume modifications necessary to adequately showcase all the boobs they're bringing on board for Season 4, so, hey, just shift the Replicators over and presto-chango, instant unbeatable villains, Take 2.

Finally, sloughing Carson in favor of another pretty young female character they can dress in skin suits and midriff-baring outfits but not write for is just ridiculous, not to mention the issues involved with casting someone who can obviously act but can't look old enough to be convincing in the part. I've written my letters and gone on about why I think Carson is integral to the chemistry of the show in other threads. Suffice it to say that, for me, Atlantis without Carson is a corpse without a heart, and I really have better things to do with my time than sit around and watch it decay.

Will I watch in Season 4? I still like Rodney and the rest of the characters, and hey, Stargate! I'm a sci fi geek from way back, so I will probably tune in now and again. But unless things as they stand now change drastically, it's not going to be anything I make an effort to keep up with the way I currently do.

Skydiver
December 10th, 2006, 08:48 AM
i was planning to watch it anyway. The loss of carson doesn't effect me much largely because i have little to no emotional attachment to any of the atlantis characters. While the show may be better to me, i don't find the characters all that endearing.

so i do find the additionof Carter to be promising since i enjoy her

I do have reservations about M&M running it. Joe's idea of 'good' is definitely not mine so i have some serious issues with the comic book king running a show with real people. He tends to embrace the silly and immature too much for my personal taste.

I will watch it, although i will be very, very surprised if the show lasts until s5. My gut says that s4 will be the end, but time will tell

anaM
December 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM
YES, i'll certainly give it a chance...and more than one. I have come to love this show and the characters and the dynamic it has, however I'm not very optimistic about how all the upcoming changes will work.

obsessed1
December 10th, 2006, 09:18 AM
i will give it a chance but if the proposed changes make my favourite show unrecognisable then i might just have to switch off. Which makes me kinda sad really :(

cshawzye
December 10th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Yes! There are certainly some things that I'm concerned about in terms of what's going on for s4 (cast changes, etc). But nothing has happened yet that is going to make me turn my back on such a great show.

lord-anubis
December 10th, 2006, 12:21 PM
im going to watch season 4 atlantis seems to be geting better to me i just think it well be atlanits last season

Jackie
December 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think many people are curious just to see how the changes pan out.

Luz
December 10th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I'll probably give it a chance, but given how OOC the characters are written and how the show becomes all about "heaving bossoms", and tacky episodes when M & M write something I'm sure it's going to be a disappointment, and I'll end up tuning off sometime during season four anyway.
With these news, adding to the hiatus, the cast changes, the crossovers, this show is doomed.

kirmit
December 10th, 2006, 12:40 PM
yup I'll give it a chance, do I have high expectations, no. TBH SGA still isn't grasping me the way it should, I was totally hooked on SG-1 by the end of season one, Atlantis I'm still not all that bothered if i miss an episode. I will however watch it to give it a fair chance, I also think it might be SGA's last season so I'd like to see how they play that out.

Pitry
December 10th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I'll give it a chance and come with an open mind. After all, sat through all of season 1 & 2. And hey, who knows? Maybe I'll be surprised :)

Linzi
December 10th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Good grief, of course I will! even though I have concerns, I'd only abandon it if my favourite character left, and I'd probably still even watch then, but just cry into my pillow every night! ;)

lissa1000
December 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I voted maybe. I'm nervous with M&M taking over. They have written episodes that I've loved, but they seem to like the bimbo campy stuff that I hate. I'm afraid of what they might do to the show given their new authority. Also, I'm a big Sparky shipper and I know JM isn't, so that's got me nervous as well.

Go Sparky! *suddenly feels the glares of the noromos*

Laura the Asgard
December 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I voted YES! This show is very fun to watch. Here in the states, we get it as part of "Sci-Fi Fridays" and it's a nice way to end a week at work! To bad I have to wait until March while some of you in other countries are basking in the 2nd part of Season 3!! (Yes, I see some of the posts. I don't mind spoilers) I'll definatly give Season 4 a chance. (I just wish they wouldn't feel the need to get rid of beloved characters) :confused:

Willow'sCat
December 10th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe....

Well even in my darkest hour with SGA I still think it is better then most crap on TV and I love my scifi, however, I am not happy to hear M&M are taking the rains, that Carter is to appear (few eps yeah right) that another character is to be replaced by two other characters and we still don't know if Caldwell is going to be in season 4, and the rumours are around involving other characters *yes I know there are always rumours*.

My biggest draw card for SGA is David Hewlett, should he go I will stop watching, I mean in all honesty the other characters don't offer me anything, I find them either wasted or annoying or so OOC that I can't relate to them at all anymore. The females are phoning it in, Sheppard has lost the edge he had, and Ronon has always seemed so one dimensional "he-man" that I sometimes feel I am watching a cartoon. Carson, :cool: although they stuffed his character up big time, was the only one who seemed to be normal, but as I say they stuffed him up so much that I don't really care anymore what they do to him. :S McKay has remained fairly consistent, although tptb over-use him and that annoys some, which I understand, all in all though he is still one of the best written and developed characters... it is a pity they can't do that with the others but I really don't think they are capable of understanding the characters they created :confused: I also think SGA is suffering from not having female writers on staff, regardless of whether you think males can write for female characters, females *may* bring a different story arc to the show, a different feel and no I do not mean soap or ship or any of that other crap... I mean feelings and emotion that you bloody well know these characters have, if the current writers can't do that then for **** sake bring in writers who can! :cool:

Also they (tptb) take very few real chances, they seem so afraid, why? I would think if you have a renewal you would be eager to push the boundaries not hide in the shadows of mediocrity... challenge yourselves and the viewer! PLEASE! :cool: OK maybe implementing new characters is a risk but if they then ignore them what is the point.

I am hoping that SGA will
speculation/spoilers season 4
be cut off from Earth again, to me that is the one thing that made SGA season one the great season it was and it gave the show a different feel to what we have now. Also I hate the idea of SGC coming to the rescue all the fraking time! :rolleyes: Making Earth and Atlantis able to contact each other and having a Ship was the biggest single mistake tptb made IMHO.

theonebluegecko
December 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Yes! If the show continues to be anything like it is not I will keep watching forever. And even if season 4 is not as good as season 3 at least it is still Stargate Atlantis.

Mitchell82
December 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM
First off I was surprised that i was the first to come up with this thread, and I am pleased with how many positive responses I've gotten. I was expecting alot more negatvity and i am pleasently surprised. I will definatly give season 4 more than a chance as I am very pleased with season 3 so far and still think SGA is a great show and believe/hope it will be just as good with the changes.

Alipeeps
December 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I would never decide to stop watching a show - particularly one I love - based purely on news of changes being made, unconfirmed rumours and one or two less than excellent episodes. The only reason I would stop watching a show would be if and when I stopped enjoying it.

I'm not saying I'm pleased about news of some of the changes planned for Season 4 of Atlantis but I'm certainly going to watch Season 4 and hope that the results will be better than speculation suggests.

Mitchell82
December 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I would never decide to stop watching a show - particularly one I love - based purely on news of changes being made, unconfirmed rumours and one or two less than excellent episodes. The only reason I would stop watching a show would be if and when I stopped enjoying it.

I'm not saying I'm pleased about news of some of the changes planned for Season 4 of Atlantis but I'm certainly going to watch Season 4 and hope that the results will be better than speculation suggests.

Well said. Green for you!

saberhagen83
December 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Absolutely, I will give S4 a chance! I'm still optimistic the changes could work out well, I won't jump of the ship just yet. The fact that AT is coming to Atlantis isn't really bothering me as she has stated already it will be for a few eps not a regular role on the show, so I don't mind that. I still think the show will be really good in S4 just like S3 has been!

expendable_crewman
December 11th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Yes.

They need to ease up on the cast changes, though.

Lauriel
December 11th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Good grief, of course I will! even though I have concerns, I'd only abandon it if my favourite character left, and I'd probably still even watch then, but just cry into my pillow every night! ;)

Well said. Yes, I will continue to watch. I haven't been this into a show before (ie- entering the wonderful world of fandom instead of just watching the show). It took SGA for that to happen to me, and I will not cease to watch it unless it gets so bad or boring that I can't bear to sit in front of the screen for the whole 45 minutes.

I'll certainly not cease to watch it based on speculation over new changes. Often change can actually benefit the show, regardless of how gloomy or uncomfortable we are before we see it implemented.

Two things that would certainly be a blow for me would be to remove either Shep or McKay, but as Linzi said, I'd probably still watch it, but my pillow will suffer the concequences.

silence
December 11th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Yes... but if they make more Lucius eps i' won't be happy camper.
I will check to see how will cast changes reflect on the show. I hope for the best, but noone can be certain of what is to come from all these changes.

Skydiver
December 11th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Yes.

They need to ease up on the cast changes, though.
not as much ease up on them but handle them with some tact and grace....not deliver them with a back hoe and a sledge hammer

ShadowMaat
December 11th, 2006, 04:37 AM
If the writers were competent enough to handle all these grand changes they're making, it'd be less of a problem, but IMO they're already frakking up the show to a ridiculous degree, so piling on all these random changes- which they ALSO can't handle- is just going to make a bad situation worse.

prion
December 11th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Yes... but if they make more Lucius eps i' won't be happy camper.
I will check to see how will cast changes reflect on the show. I hope for the best, but noone can be certain of what is to come from all these changes.

I think if they do that again, people should just bombard scifi's email until it collapses under the volume. then they might get a hint.

Falcon Horus
December 11th, 2006, 05:11 AM
A big frellin' hell yeah!! :D

I love Atlantis.

Though I have to admit having Carter over doesn't really make me a happy camper. Just glad it's not Daniel.

Platschu
December 11th, 2006, 07:10 AM
I think that the staff should make complete spoilerless season. The creator of BSG or Star Wars movies don't say anything what we they make, so the fans can't complain and every episode will have a surprise. Maybe this can be a new way to improve rating. ;)

Heaven
December 11th, 2006, 07:57 AM
when there was talk about making a new stargate spinoff after SG1 some months back I didn't realize it would be called stargate atlantis!

I try to stay away from spoilers but from what I've skimmed about s4 it looks like I won't be enjoying my favourite scifi show next summer.

in all fairness it looks like the writers do listen to fans wishes but always come through too late, if at all, and not in the way the fans intended to.
I remember last season the most popular fan wishes were getting to know that
mysterious nanovirus enemy and having SG1 crossovers on occasion.

well now we're getting both on a permanent basis!
the thing is, I bet when fans had those wishes, they didn't have what turned out in mind, and certainly not on a permanent basis!

so will I give S4 a chance? probably, but I don't expect I'll enjoy it.
looks like the same bad turn SG1 took after S8.

Naonak
December 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I'll definitely be watching season 4, unless season 3 completely goes to hell over the rest of the season, which judging by the quality so far, isn't likely to happen. Sateda, Progeny and McKay + Mrs Miller were all excellent, and a few of the other episodes were also very good, and most of the episodes I've read previews for sound decent.

Even though I like Beckett, he's never really been much more than a supporting character, even when they did bump him up to a regular, so I won't miss him too much.

Mitchell82
December 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Absolutely, I will give S4 a chance! I'm still optimistic the changes could work out well, I won't jump of the ship just yet. The fact that AT is coming to Atlantis isn't really bothering me as she has stated already it will be for a few eps not a regular role on the show, so I don't mind that. I still think the show will be really good in S4 just like S3 has been!

Good to hear. As much as i love Carter and support her coming on SGA I too am glad it's only a couple of eps. I too believe the show will be great in season 4 as well.

maxbo
December 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Yes, I'll be give Season 4 a chance, with greatly diminished expectations, but, yes, I'll give it a chance.

prion
December 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I think that the staff should make complete spoilerless season. The creator of BSG or Star Wars movies don't say anything what we they make, so the fans can't complain and every episode will have a surprise. Maybe this can be a new way to improve rating. ;)

The staff don't leak the spoilers. Fans find them via sides, but wait, no, Joe Mallozzi was well known for leaking some spoilers (which in some cases backfired horribly when he said "lots of ship" and fans saw none). Anyway, sometimes it's hard to hide casting spoilers, because this material is posted in trade magazines. But... most fans don't read them. However, GW puts most spoilers smack on their front page (and news services often cull GW's front page, so you can get a hefty dose before you know it).

I'm ambivalent about season 4 due to the casting crap, plus the fact that M&M are going to be the lead writers. I expect at least 1/4 of the episodes to be retreads of old SG1 scripts. :(

ShoDar
December 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM
You know... when I first saw the Stargate movie, I thought it sucked (and still do actually) I had no interest in a show based on the movie and didn't watch SG1 at all, save for an episode here and there when I was really bored. A couple of years ago I had a roommate who loved SG1 and I ended up watching his S1 DVDs. After watching, I felt rather ambivalent about it (s10 has been interesting, though). There were some good points but neither the characters nor the plots grabbed my attention and really made me care. And then the roomie started raving about a spin-off of Atlantis being found in another galaxy. I rolled my eyes and wondered how they could make a spin-off of a mediocre series based on a bad movie. I had no interest in watching it and no faith that the people associated with SG could make a truly good show.

And then, one Saturday back in March I was avoiding work (much like today) and I turned on my TV and watched this show that totally blew me away. It was the SGA season 1 episode "The Storm". I loved it. The plot was organic instead of contrived, the good guys were complex instead of 1D chariactures, the bad guys had motivations that weren't simply "we're evil", the FX were decent, the acting superb, the directing made it feel real as if they really were in a storm. I have been addicted ever since. :)

Lesson learned: always check something out before writing it off (even if you are associating things with bad SG1 writers) ;)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I plan on giving Season 4 a chance. At the current moment, with all the cast (and possible crew) changes, Season 4 looks very intersting. And I plan to sit back and enjoy the ride like I have for the entire series so far.

mckaychick
December 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM
i think we should give it a chance

areghnatha
December 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I am undecided, because I have heared so many rumours...
It will depend on the Seasons Final of Season 3 AND if there will be Wraith in Season 4...

Pitry
December 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
The staff don't leak the spoilers. Fans find them via sides, but wait, no, Joe Mallozzi was well known for leaking some spoilers (which in some cases backfired horribly when he said "lots of ship" and fans saw none). Anyway, sometimes it's hard to hide casting spoilers, because this material is posted in trade magazines. But... most fans don't read them. However, GW puts most spoilers smack on their front page (and news services often cull GW's front page, so you can get a hefty dose before you know it).

I'm ambivalent about season 4 due to the casting crap, plus the fact that M&M are going to be the lead writers. I expect at least 1/4 of the episodes to be retreads of old SG1 scripts. :(

But there was lots of ship! The Promethus, the Odyssey, the Korolov... *whistles* ;)

MechaThor
December 11th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Of course I will give Atlantis series 4 a chance as I think Atlants is the best show ever (well along with Never mind the buzzcocks and top gear that is lol).

I hope it goes on for 10 series

DivineLight
December 11th, 2006, 11:15 AM
With Malozzi and Mullie history and them being the main writers for S4, I don't anticipate enjoying the new eps. I will eventually see them but I will not rush home like I have in the past just to see the premire.

Amalthia
December 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
There aren't enough other sci-fi shows to throw in the towel too soon. I'm going into season 4 cautiously. I don't trust Malozzi and Mullie to write interesting stories that won't offend me or insult my intelligence...but I'm going to give it a chance and if it starts turning into something that looks like Andromeda season 3-5, then yes I will stop watching. I'm sorry, I'm not a child any longer and I'm not easily amused by stupid villains with silly plots.

There are plenty of other good tv shows to watch such as Supernatural, BSG, Doctor Who, Prison Break, Heroes, Dexter, Friday Night Lights, Veronica Mars, and Torchwood. And if all else fails my Farscape and Firefly DVDs. Hell even watching Star Trek the Next Generation again may not be a bad option.

I'm not sure if having women writers on the show can save the female characters from mediocre storylines and character development. There are male writers out there who can write strong and interesting female characters on a regular basis. It's just Stargate Atlantis doesn't have any on staff.

I like shows that make me feel something while watching. Sure mildly amused is okay....but I think I like to feel real worry about the characters and feel what they are going through. SGA with the magic reset button takes away EVERY SINGLE consequence for their actions and well I think in the long run it kind of hurts the character development and story. I think the main problem is there are a lot of other shows that do show consequences for actions and now people can compare shows....and generally speaking SGA comes out short in terms of character development. The characters are the heart of a show and I think the writers forget that?

I think the reason season 1 worked so well is because cut off from Earth the Atlantis Expedition had to rely on each other and when characters died it was a blow because those people could not be replaced. I also felt that the characters and story archs in season one were more consistent. Season 2 they went all over the place...and season 3 it was looking good until the magic reset button happened in the Return part 2 and then Irresponsible. (I'm just pretending the Return never happened or it happened in a AU verse, because it hurts my brain less)

ShadowMaat
December 11th, 2006, 08:25 PM
There's also the fact that ANY new writers- male or female- would basically have their stories run through the shredder and whatever came out- stamped and approved by the Good Ol' Boys Club- wouldn't necessarily have much resemblance to the original story/pitch.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you get a chance, Amalthia, check out SCIFI's Lost Room miniseries. Despite the ad nauseum saturation campaign Skiffy's been throwing at us, the show is interesting... so far. ;)

Mitchell82
December 11th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I plan on giving Season 4 a chance. At the current moment, with all the cast (and possible crew) changes, Season 4 looks very intersting. And I plan to sit back and enjoy the ride like I have for the entire series so far.

Good post agree.

Klenotka
December 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Of course I will. I can't see reason why. Even with Carter who I can't see like big help, I think it could be good if they will continue in the way like in season 3. Let's hope that Carter won't move Zelenka away.

Naonak
December 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Why don't people like Mallozi and Mullie's eps? As far as I can tell, they've written some excellent episodes - Window of Opportunity, Exodus, Homecoming P2, Moebius, Counterstrike and The Siege P2 to name a few.
Whether they'd be good showrunners, I don't know (and I actually hadn't heard about that until this thread), but they seem like great writers to me.

Mitchell82
December 11th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Why don't people like Mallozi and Mullie's eps? As far as I can tell, they've written some excellent episodes - Window of Opportunity, Exodus, Homecoming P2, Moebius, Counterstrike and The Siege P2 to name a few.
Whether they'd be good showrunners, I don't know (and I actually hadn't heard about that until this thread), but they seem like great writers to me.

I don't get it either as so do I. I think some just prefer serious episodes to their light hearted ones but they have done serious ones also.

TJuk
December 12th, 2006, 02:19 AM

Most of the episodes you've listed are SG1, for those I'd agree, WoO is my all time favourite ep of SG1, such a sublime mix of comedy, drama and tradedgy! Seige P2 easily THE best season cliffie of SGA to date (so much so Gero pretty much copied it with a few details changed for NML) and definately one of the best multiple part stories. Unfortunately they're also very hit and miss and have not only written some of the best but also worst episodes e.g. The Tower. Unfortunately its one of those things, like the ep discussion threads its the worst eps that get the most discussion, and are most remembered. So if you write more clunkers then hits....

Not to mention consistency has been a big issue, and continuity. I dont agree with having writers as show runners, unless they ONLY run the show and steer clear of ANY writing outside of idea generation, ep premises and consultation..the bigger picture stuff. Its hard to remain impartial when you're so close to the work. Not to mention you nearly ALWAYS hear a writer say, 'what I wrote was pretty different to what ended up on screen'. Thats because its gone through multiple layers of production and been added to and tweaked (hopefully) for a more well rounded product but all artists are possessive of their work...thats natural. As writers I'm sure the temptation to take too much control will compromise impartiality, thats when the problems hit.

As for giving s4 a chance, I will pop in from time to time but wont be a regular viewer unless its has appear to me. I stopped watching regularly SG1 when Jack's role changed (mid-s7) and altogether by the end of s9, not because the show was bad but because it wasn't the show I enjoyed watching anymore. Without Carson (IMO the 'heart' of SGA), the addition of Carter and other Sg1 elements, I dont feel SGA is the same show, its lost its appeal. Hell I stopped watching 'Lost' because I got sick of the repeative plots and character deaths (some might love that though), it just didn't sit well with my viewing preferences. Most importantly I like story progression but not so much drastic change so quickly.

I hope they prove us wrong and make a kick ass s4 (and bring back Carson/PMcG full time asap!) and SGA goes on for many more season. If nothing else but for the sake of the remaining cast (who are all AWESOME) and crew (ditto!). So I'll keep an eye out...but I wont be a regular viewer.

Pitry
December 12th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Not to mention consistency has been a big issue, and continuity. I dont agree with having writers as show runners, unless they ONLY run the show and steer clear of ANY writing outside of idea generation and consultation etc. Its hard to remain impartial when you're so close to the work. Not to mention you nearly ALWAYS hear a writer say, 'what I wrote was pretty different to what ended up on screen'.

TBH, I don't kno one show where this is the case. Showrunner is always also one of the writers, isn't it? It sure is the case in Stargate, Jonathan glassner, Brad Wright and RCC all continue(d) to write while they are(weer) show runners...

TJuk
December 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM
TBH, I don't kno one show where this is the case. Showrunner is always also one of the writers, isn't it? It sure is the case in Stargate, Jonathan glassner, Brad Wright and RCC all continue(d) to write while they are(weer) show runners...

Nope, while they're both writers and PRODUCERS, I think getting to that level means you leave the writing behind except at the premise or consultancy level and the very occassional script (Rob C hasn't written anything since Rising til he did Seteda I think...not sure though). Brad and Rob have only written a couple of eps out of a possible 60. Theres a difference between the producer credit and the 'Exec Producer' or whatever the big boss man is called.

Either way, I dont mind JM&PM coming up with ideas, as 'Irresponsible' showed, they can come up with great ones its the excution thats lacking. I'd want them to concentrate on running the show in general and not spread themselves too thin.

Skydiver
December 12th, 2006, 07:12 AM
they have in the past, but they've also made some royal stinkers too.

I agree with whomever put forth that the talent pool is getting a bit shallow. THere are too few levels of quality control. With teh same people writing/directing/producing, there are fewer and fewer folks to sit back and take an objective look at an eps and go 'dude, ya gonna fill this plot hole?' or 'umm, didn't we just do this two epsiodes ago???'

One of the perils of writing is that one can develop blinders. Something might make sense in the writer's head, that makes no sense at all to the general viewer, one that isn't privy to the writer's private thoughts. A series of checks and balances could catch these things.

I think the writers once said that every script used to have a 'how come' session...where folks would pick it apart and rationalize events in it.

They don't seem to do that anymore. and because of it we've been getting a lot of stories with plot holes the size of texas in them, and bad/off characterizations, unexplained actions adn a bit too much deus ex machina

Joe and Paul CAN crank out good stuff...they just haven't done much lately which leaves me more than a little leery about them now calling the shots.

Pitry
December 12th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Nope, while they're both writers and PRODUCERS, I think getting to that level means you leave the writing behind except at the premise or consultancy level and the very occassional script (Rob C hasn't written anything since Rising til he did Seteda I think...not sure though). Brad and Rob have only written a couple of eps out of a possible 60. Theres a difference between the producer credit and the 'Exec Producer' or whatever the big boss man is called.].
*Thinks* He wrote Runner, and co-wrote the Gift. BW however was much mroe invovled with stories/ scripts, and he's Atlantis showrunner. (as for SG1, RCC writes about teh same amount of episodes per season as he wrote before he became show runner - even more...)

Either way, I dont mind JM&PM coming up with ideas, as 'Irresponsible' showed, they can come up with great ones its the excution thats lacking. I'd want them to concentrate on running the show in general and not spread themselves too thin.

Amusingly, I'm the opposite. i discovered that as little cerativity they have, the more storypoints are necessary within the episode due to the overall arc, their episodes ebcome better. :)

kimaken
December 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM
No--I watched "Rising" and loved it because of Beckett and his interactions with both Sheppard and McKay. I've stayed with the show because of Beckett, and now that it's confirmed that he's being written out, I don't feel the need to watch any more. I will check occasionally to see if by some miracle PMcG is brought back as a guest star, and if he is, then I'll tune in for that/those ep(s).

Diesel Vanilla
December 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I'll see. Obviously I don't want the show to end... it's bad enough SG1 has gone... but to lose both would be terrible. I do question the sweeping cast changes because I have loved all three seasons and IMO I thought it was doing just fine (aside from some under-used characters) and I really love the cast. I know AT is contractually obliged to do the eps but I just don't think it was necessary to bring her over when Teyla and Elizabeth are there waiting for more focus. Saying that, I do like her loads so I will be interested to see how she interacts with the whole cast (not just Rodney!). We shall see I guess...

Ps... thanks for the thread/poll Mitchell. :)

swallowcliff
December 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM
It depends. I am a big slasher, and so far, Atlantis has been pretty slash-friendly. I do worry because SG:1 used to be slash friendly until about season 4, when it seemed like Jack and Daniel weren't even allowed to stand in rooms next to each other. I worry that the cast changes and crew changes might bring on the same homophobic attitude and we wont get any more delightful McShep banter.

I'm actually interested in seeing Carter over at Atlantis, because I think her character is so much more interesting when she's actively thinking, solving problems, and interacting rather than just mooning over Jack. I also respect that AT really wants to give her character more humor, and that would definately occur if she's interacting with Rodney.

So I guess, yes, I'll give it a chance, but they'll have to impress me with exciting stories and not turn into a het-ship fest.

Madeleine
December 12th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Yes. McKay is still there, so yes.

There's other characters I like, especially Shep, and I'm keen to see Jewel's character (though I hope Carson either gets a fair number of appearences or a REALLY good exit, the pet). I'd like for Ford to be in it at least a couple of times, too. I've no reason to stop watching, it's not as compelling as SG-1, but it's still a nice way to spend an hour.

Mitchell82
December 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yes. McKay is still there, so yes.

There's other characters I like, especially Shep, and I'm keen to see Jewel's character (though I hope Carson either gets a fair number of appearences or a REALLY good exit, the pet). I'd like for Ford to be in it at least a couple of times, too. I've no reason to stop watching, it's not as compelling as SG-1, but it's still a nice way to spend an hour.

Nice to se you jump on my season 4 bandwagon. I rarely say this as we tend to have opposite views but I agree wholeheartedly at your post.

ReganX
December 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to it.

david2708
December 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Whenever I watch The Seige Part 2 in the future I shall imagine all the bullets & drones are firing up at the oncoming Malozzi/Mullie Juggannaut approaching The Atlantis Franchise.
I predict for season 4 lots of Aliens in period costume doing a parody of whatever Malozzi/Mullie decide to rip off for that week.
I also predict most semi -serious scifi fans will desert the show and all that will be left are those fans who like the 'funnies' between the characters. You know what I mean-"Oh I loved it when Shep said to Mkay........So hilarious ROTFLAO...."
Of course they'll wonder why the ratings are down but who has the heart to tell them the show stunk and the audience spoke with their remotes.

ShadowMaat
December 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
And don't forget the wenches and bimbos- there'll be lots of hot chicks falling out of their costumes. :rolleyes: And the insulting humor. That's a classic of theirs, too.

CalmStorm
December 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I plan on watching season 4 unless they do something to royally tick me off with the remainder of season 3. They'd have to screw up pretty big, but ya never know for sure do you :)

Twinchy
December 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Even though I'm not too exited about Carson Beckett probably getting kicked out I'll give Season 4 a chance for sure!

So far "Atlantis" never really turned me down. There were better eps and also weaker ones but in general it ROCKS!!! And Season 3 had me on the edge of my seat with almost every episode - only I've just watched up to 'Common Ground' yet.

In addition, I have to account in favour of "Atlantis" that the show made me a die-hard fan right from the very first episode I watched - which was the Season 1 final 'The Siege' (and after that I caught up with the entire first Season in 5 days!) - that's not happened too often. Although my instant favourite character - Lt. Ford - was axed at the beginning of Season 2, I never regretted staying with the show and even came to like Ronon a lot, too.

Nonetheless I don't want SG-1 characters too much on "Atlantis", please. Every once in a while is fine with me but to be fair, they had their show, too...

Mitchell82
December 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Even though I'm not too exited about Carson Beckett probably getting kicked out I'll give Season 4 a chance for sure!

So far "Atlantis" never really turned me down. There were better eps and also weaker ones but in general it ROCKS!!! And Season 3 had me on the edge of my seat with almost every episode - only I've just watched up to 'Common Ground' yet.

In addition, I have to account in favour of "Atlantis" that the show made me a die-hard fan right from the very first episode I watched - which was the Season 1 final 'The Siege' (and after that I caught up with the entire first Season in 5 days!) - that's not happened too often. Although my instant favourite character - Lt. Ford - was axed at the beginning of Season 2, I never regretted staying with the show and even came to like Ronon a lot, too.

Nonetheless I don't want SG-1 characters too much on "Atlantis", please. Every once in a while is fine with me but to be fair, they had their show, too...

To be honest I expected you to be in the no catagory. Good that you are sticking around and I agree with your sentiments on the show. in general it hasent disapointed me.

twinchaosblade
December 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
To be honest I expected you to be in the no catagory. Good that you are sticking around and I agree with your sentiments on the show. in general it hasent disapointed me.

Hi Mitchell!

My twin just separated me - Alias wise. You may notice she's "twinchaosblade ½" now. And we do have quite different opinions about abandoning the show, yet I voted on 'maybe' because I still hope they are handling the aftermath of Carson's loss well. I surely want to see that at least!

Furthermore I still haven't given up hope that our letter-writing will be taken into consideration and they actually do bring him back. Perhaps they even plan on doing so and just love keeping the fans of Carson Beckett hanging in the air. And sure as hell I wouldn't want to miss that!

I certainly love SGA for more than just Dr Beckett but offing my all time favourite character (and they killed my fave character in every show within the last ten to fifteen years!) is nothing I'm inclined to swallow easily nowadays! :mad:

If Paul McGillion wanted to leave, it would be acceptable. I'd still be less than thrilled but I could deal with it. Kicking him out to make some cast changes is simply no way to treat people (the actor and the fans alike). It is so obvious that Beckett's popularity was never an issue!

Mitchell82
December 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Hi Mitchell!

My twin just separated me - Alias wise. You may notice she's "twinchaosblade ½" now. And we do have quite different opinions about abandoning the show, yet I voted on 'maybe' because I still hope they are handling the aftermath of Carson's loss well. I surely want to see that at least!

Furthermore I still haven't given up hope that our letter-writing will be taken into consideration and they actually do bring him back. Perhaps they even plan on doing so and just love keeping the fans of Carson Beckett hanging in the air. And sure as hell I wouldn't want to miss that!

I certainly love SGA for more than just Dr Beckett but offing my all time favourite character (and they killed my fave character in every show within the last ten to fifteen years!) is nothing I'm inclined to swallow easily nowadays! :mad:

If Paul McGillion wanted to leave, it would be acceptable. I'd still be less than thrilled but I could deal with it. Kicking him out to make some cast changes is simply no way to treat people (the actor and the fans alike). It is so obvious that Beckett's popularity was never an issue!

Well I sure hope it's handled well as I was pleased with how ford was dealt with, I know I'm in the minority on that one. I think they will do it well though I agree that I too am pissed about tptb forcing him out.

Easter Lily
December 12th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Absolutely...
It's still one of my favourite shows and it has characters that I like. I don't pretend that Stargate is serious scifi and I enjoy so much more. Occasionally they throw in something really solid like Common Ground or Sateda to solidfy my love of the show.

I really don't know what the ramifications of having Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie at the helm are but I don't think I can be completely certain until we get the entire season.

Pharaoh Atem
December 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
yes i love SGA :D

Render
December 12th, 2006, 08:11 PM
i WILL DEFINITELY be watching more, in my experience shows usually take a few season to build up steam, and with SGA S3E15 the Tao of Rodney I know there is great things ahead for Atlantis

Atlantis1
December 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I love SGA so absolutely YES!

Mitchell82
December 13th, 2006, 04:14 PM
i WILL DEFINITELY be watching more, in my experience shows usually take a few season to build up steam, and with SGA S3E15 the Tao of Rodney I know there is great things ahead for Atlantis

Totally agree.

Lizabeth
December 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM
This show is no where near a point where I would even consider not "giving it a chance." The thought never crossed my mind until I saw this thread.

Mitchell82
December 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
This show is no where near a point where I would even consider not "giving it a chance." The thought never crossed my mind until I saw this thread.

Agree. I created this thread b/c of increase in negative opinions over SGA.

ShadowMaat
December 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Agree. I created this thread b/c of increase in negative opinions over SGA.

Judging from the overwhelmingly positive response to this poll- and just from what I've seen in general- I'd say that the "increasingly negative opinions" fear is a misperception. There has been a SEVERE amount of hatred regarding one or two specific episodes this season and some grumbling about other eps, but most normal fans tend to grumble about SOMETHING from time to time without it meaning they're any less of a fan and you can't really get a sense of how folks feel about the entire season based on one or two eps.

There's also the fact that this is a Stargate forum; the naysayers, however vocal they may seem, will ALWAYS be in the minority.

Still, sometimes polls like this can be reassuring... when the votes are going your way. :P

Jeyla4ever
December 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I think this season has had better episodes than Season 2....although I still have a bit more too watch..the rest of the season seems promising.....and yet without a doubt..I will most definetely give Season 4 a chance...and I love this show....btw!

Mitchell82
December 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Judging from the overwhelmingly positive response to this poll- and just from what I've seen in general- I'd say that the "increasingly negative opinions" fear is a misperception. There has been a SEVERE amount of hatred regarding one or two specific episodes this season and some grumbling about other eps, but most normal fans tend to grumble about SOMETHING from time to time without it meaning they're any less of a fan and you can't really get a sense of how folks feel about the entire season based on one or two eps.

There's also the fact that this is a Stargate forum; the naysayers, however vocal they may seem, will ALWAYS be in the minority.

Still, sometimes polls like this can be reassuring... when the votes are going your way. :P

True it is mainly one ore two eps or one problem in particular. Still I am quite pleased with the results to my poll/thread.

Ronnikins
December 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Season 3 has been the best so far. We've gotten more character development and story arcs. We're comfortable with the characters.
Apart from a couple of dud episodes (which I'm happy to overlook) we've been getting above average Stargate episodes and now since there'll be no more SG1 next year, more than ever I will be looking forward to seeing Season 4 of SGA.

quicksilver
December 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Give season 4 a chance ? For heaven's sake YES.

Now if they could manage to drop Ronin off on a planet where they find a whole lot of his people I wouldn't weep. If not, it'll be OK. Just keep him in the background and let him ripple his muscles and toss his dreads around without messing up the plots.

the fifth man
December 13th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Of course I'll give Season 4 a chance. Just with how stupid Sci-Fi can be, I hope it isn't the last SGA season.

david2708
December 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM
True it is mainly one ore two eps or one problem in particular. Still I am quite pleased with the results to my poll/thread.
I think the polls are quite meaningless. I'm sure you'd get the same positive result about season 9 or 10 of Gate. It didn't stop that show from getting axed and Atlantis' ratings are hardly stellar to have great optimism about Atlantis' long term viability.
Even all the Mallozzi/mullie crap would probably get a stellar poll result!:confused:

Lida
December 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Nope. Tptb are breaking a show, which already had the proper dynamics between it's actors. If that weren't bad enough, they are going to try and pass JS off as a doctor? It's so unbelieable as to be laughable, and it's just their way of trying to attract the adolescent male. Guess they just don't get it yet.....their loyal fanbase consists of men and women, not children with raging hormones.

Sorry, but with SG-1 history, I don't think I'll be watching Atlantis any longer. Dr. Beckett was the perfect choice and he was brilliant in his role. I have no desire to see another Dr. Lam.

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM
^^ How do you know that JS won't be even better?

LiLTiff17
December 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Of course I'll give it a chance, it ain't over till its over!
(or until they bring Lucius back for the 3rd time and he starts sweet talking some wraith. :P)

Isil'zha
December 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Of course I'll give it a chance, it ain't over till its over!
(or until they bring Lucius back for the 3rd time and he starts sweet talking some wraith. :P)

The only time I'd ever watch Lucius would be if he got Wraithed. :D
And I already said I'd give it a chance.

TJuk
December 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM
^^ How do you know that JS won't be even better?

It's not a case of 'better' its a case of, we dont need a new doctor when we already have a brilliant one. Theres no reason to replace the role, Paul/Carson is obviously popular and liked otherwise they wouldn't have promoted him.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

jenks
December 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM
It's not a case of 'better' its a case of, we dont need a new doctor when we already have a brilliant one. Theres no reason to replace the role, Paul/Carson is obviously popular and liked otherwise they wouldn't have promoted him.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

I disagree, it's a TV show, things need to change. I think that is she is better, the change is a good move, if not, a bad one. For me it's as simple as that.

Mitchell82
December 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I think the polls are quite meaningless. I'm sure you'd get the same positive result about season 9 or 10 of Gate. It didn't stop that show from getting axed and Atlantis' ratings are hardly stellar to have great optimism about Atlantis' long term viability.
Even all the Mallozzi/mullie crap would probably get a stellar poll result!:confused:

Sorry you are wrong. Polls arent meaningless as for one you can't vote more than once on these, also it showcases peoples opinions. Just b/c ours are different than yours is no reason to attack my thread. I created it to creativly discuss our opinions on giving season 4 a chance and you arent. The same with the 9 and 10 polls threads are to discuss opinions they arent meaningless just b/c you don't agree! Sheesh!:mckay:

Mitchell82
December 14th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I disagree, it's a TV show, things need to change. I think that is she is better, the change is a good move, if not, a bad one. For me it's as simple as that.

Good point. As much as it pains me to se carson go and loathe TPTB for doing it Jewel might be good and the only way to know is to wait and see.

Mitchell82
December 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Of course I'll give Season 4 a chance. Just with how stupid Sci-Fi can be, I hope it isn't the last SGA season.

Lets just hope MGM and Bridge are smart enought to keep Stargate Series 3 faaaaarrrrrrrr away from Scifi's grasp.

ShadowMaat
December 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM
You don't need to vote multiple times, all you need to do is tell all your friends, "Hey, got vote and support the show!" And then they tell their friends, and they tell their friends and then the REALLY desperately psychotic "true" fans create SOCKS so that THEY can vote more, too!

And in the end you still only get a tiny fraction of the forum's population voting (even disregarding any possible socks). And a tiny fraction of the forum is microscopic compared to the whole of fandom, a majority of which isn't even online.

Mitchell82
December 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM
You don't need to vote multiple times, all you need to do is tell all your friends, "Hey, got vote and support the show!" And then they tell their friends, and they tell their friends and then the REALLY desperately psychotic "real" fans create SOCKS so that THEY can vote more, too!

And in the end you still only get a tiny fraction of the forum's population voting (even disregarding any possible socks). And a tiny fraction of the forum is microscopic compared to the whole of fandom, a majority of which isn't even online.

Well you do make a good point still it does prove there are those out there who support the showe and who's to say that those not online don't aswell.

ShadowMaat
December 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Well you do make a good point still it does prove there are those out there who support the showe and who's to say that those not online don't aswell.

It also proves that there are those who aren't as supportive and even some who have given up entirely. And there are a lot of qualifiers on both sides as well. "Of course I'm going to watch, but..." and "I'm not excited, except..." blah blah blah.

I think you're being a little extremist in your views. You call someone a liar for suggesting that polls lie and then act as if this poll of yours proves anything. All it proves is that of the people who voted most are looking forward to it. Which is about as "duh" as asking if people prefer Stargate or Star Trek. ;) I say again, this is a Stargate forum, of course the show (either of them) will always be popular in the majority view.

RepliHawk
December 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Of course, I will give season 4 a chance

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
It also proves that there are those who aren't as supportive and even some who have given up entirely. And there are a lot of qualifiers on both sides as well. "Of course I'm going to watch, but..." and "I'm not excited, except..." blah blah blah.

I think you're being a little extremist in your views. You call someone a liar for suggesting that polls lie and then act as if this poll of yours proves anything. All it proves is that of the people who voted most are looking forward to it. Which is about as "duh" as asking if people prefer Stargate or Star Trek. ;) I say again, this is a Stargate forum, of course the show (either of them) will always be popular in the majority view.

I never called you a liar. I said some lie that are rigged. Also yes some people may not vote truthfully. Still this is about opinions and please don't attack me for having one. This is meant to be a civl thread.

ShadowMaat
December 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I never called you a liar. I said some lie that are rigged. Also yes some people may not vote truthfully. Still this is about opinions and please don't attack me for having one. This is meant to be a civl thread.

I stand corrected, you didn't actually call david2708 a liar, you just told him he was wrong when he voiced the following opinion:

Your reply:

Sorry you are wrong. Polls arent meaningless as for one you can't vote more than once on these, also it showcases peoples opinions. Just b/c ours are different than yours is no reason to attack my thread. I created it to creativly discuss our opinions on giving season 4 a chance and you arent. The same with the 9 and 10 polls threads are to discuss opinions they arent meaningless just b/c you don't agree! Sheesh!:mckay:

David is well within his rights to think polls are meaningless and he no more "attacked" your thread than I "attacked" you. Please don't misuse the word or blow a simple difference of opinion out of proportion. Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them attackers. :rolleyes: I've looked at David's posts on this thread and nowhere do I see him saying or doing anything remotely hateful; he's just stating his opinion that he thinks S4 is going to be bad and that polls are meaningless/unreliable. He's not saying it to start a fight and he isn't "attacking" the poll simply because it isn't going his way. Neither am I. Just because I'm not looking forward to S4 doesn't make me some kind of troll and just because I find your own reactions to be extreme doesn't mean I'm flaming you, I simply think that you're overreacting. That, too, is an opinion.

It's very hard to have a civil conversation about the merits/concerns for the upcoming season when those who are complaining face accusations of malfeasance. I also find it interesting that while you're very quick to support those who agree with you you've shown no interest in the "opposing" viewpoint, other than suspecting their motives. ;)

Anyway, now that I've figured out the real point of this thread and come to the conclusion that naysayers aren't welcome, I shall bow out gracefully and go back to my evil, nasty little corner where I won't poison the atmosphere for all the good and "true" fans of Atlantis. :P

Ltcolshepjumper
December 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM
HELLS YES, 4 promises to be a season of change, especially with Tapping paying a visit, in all honesty the purpose of these shows is ENTERTAINMENT, a lot of people seem to have lost sight of that, it killed Trek, and if we let it, it will kill Stargate

SGA needs to stand on their own, w/o SG-1 characters. I really think she'll make the show too much like SG-1.

Cameron Mitchel
December 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I know this is an old post, but:

Uh, no offense to any AT fans, but Tapping has NOT helped the show. Her roles are stupid when she's a guest character anyway, and it's just another way to put her on the screen. If SG-1 is going down, and you see the other characters going down as well, then AT should go down with them. They're like the captains of a ship. And a captain always goes down with his ship. Nuff Said.

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I stand corrected, you didn't actually call david2708 a liar, you just told him he was wrong when he voiced the following opinion:

Your reply:

David is well within his rights to think polls are meaningless and he no more "attacked" your thread than I "attacked" you. Please don't misuse the word or blow a simple difference of opinion out of proportion. Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them attackers. :rolleyes: I've looked at David's posts on this thread and nowhere do I see him saying or doing anything remotely hateful; he's just stating his opinion that he thinks S4 is going to be bad and that polls are meaningless/unreliable. He's not saying it to start a fight and he isn't "attacking" the poll simply because it isn't going his way. Neither am I. Just because I'm not looking forward to S4 doesn't make me some kind of troll and just because I find your own reactions to be extreme doesn't mean I'm flaming you, I simply think that you're overreacting. That, too, is an opinion.

It's very hard to have a civil conversation about the merits/concerns for the upcoming season when those who are complaining face accusations of malfeasance. I also find it interesting that while you're very quick to support those who agree with you you've shown no interest in the "opposing" viewpoint, other than suspecting their motives. ;)

Anyway, now that I've figured out the real point of this thread and come to the conclusion that naysayers aren't welcome, I shall bow out gracefully and go back to my evil, nasty little corner where I won't poison the atmosphere for all the good and "true" fans of Atlantis. :P

Well If it seems that I don't support negative opinions that is not true. I did overreact however so did he. I understand that both of you arnt very optimistic to season 4 or it's changes. I wanted to se both oposing and suporting views. Still you call me overly optimistic simply b/c while I find the removal of Carson revolting and a bad call by TPTB I am not willing to jump ship yet. I still am very hopefull that the show will be good and simply want to give it a chance. If that's being overlyoptimisc oh well.

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I know this is an old post, but:

Uh, no offense to any AT fans, but Tapping has NOT helped the show. Her roles are stupid when she's a guest character anyway, and it's just another way to put her on the screen. If SG-1 is going down, and you see the other characters going down as well, then AT should go down with them. They're like the captains of a ship. And a captain always goes down with his ship. Nuff Said.

No offense taken I simply disagree. While her role in "letters from Pegasus" was very short I don't ereally considere it a guest spot. Just simply a way to get the message to Earth. I loved her in "Grace Under Pressure", and "Mckay and Mrs. Miller". I really love AT and here roles on SGA. I'm still am nervous as to how many times she'll be on SGA but since I love her roles so far I think she could help but thats just me.

david2708
December 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Your reply:

I prefer my Scifi to be serious-for the most part. I can take the flippant episodes every now and again but flippancy seems to come in big spades with the Gate franchise of late. WHen I read the episode reviews by the fanbase here there is a big emphasis on who said the most funny line to whomever and if that requirement is filled then the episode gets the tick as the best EVAH.
I've sat in a room of people who have watched Atlantis on a very casual basis and alot of the stuff they just don't find funny at all. The fanbase maybe in on the joke, TPTB may have amused themselves with some new little speech they give to Rodney, but it all smacks of indulgence alot of the time.
It's part of the reason why viewers are switching off. It's easy to blame stiffer competition, movement of scheduling etc. Almost anything except admitting the quality of the show is the reason people are switching off. Ratings are down, but there seems to be no urgency in stopping the rot. Malozzi & Mullie coming over is the biggest joke of all. They consistently write the worst stuff and dare i say the most flippant fluff of all.
TPTB are writing their own tombstones, I'm afraid.

Ouroboros
December 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm going to watch it but for the same reason I'd keep watching when someone unknowingly stepped out in front of a speeding train.

That person is what traces of legitimacy remain in the show and that train is the Mallozzi and Mullie Express bound for the recycling plant in Tritesville.

Merlin7
December 16th, 2006, 04:16 AM
So long as Shep is there, I'll be there. Fast fwd button is my friend.

bluealien
December 16th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Absolutely.

I'll give season four a chance, but sorry AT bored me to death over the last few years of SG1 and the new child prodegy doctor just seems a bad joke. But once our regular cast, in particular Shep, get some good story lines then I'll hang in there - and have my trusty fwd button at hand.

Mitchell82
December 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Well as long as you will give it a chance.

Ltcolshepjumper
December 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I prefer my Scifi to be serious-for the most part. I can take the flippant episodes every now and again but flippancy seems to come in big spades with the Gate franchise of late. WHen I read the episode reviews by the fanbase here there is a big emphasis on who said the most funny line to whomever and if that requirement is filled then the episode gets the tick as the best EVAH.
I've sat in a room of people who have watched Atlantis on a very casual basis and alot of the stuff they just don't find funny at all. The fanbase maybe in on the joke, TPTB may have amused themselves with some new little speech they give to Rodney, but it all smacks of indulgence alot of the time.
It's part of the reason why viewers are switching off. It's easy to blame stiffer competition, movement of scheduling etc. Almost anything except admitting the quality of the show is the reason people are switching off. Ratings are down, but there seems to be no urgency in stopping the rot. Malozzi & Mullie coming over is the biggest joke of all. They consistently write the worst stuff and dare i say the most flippant fluff of all.
TPTB are writing their own tombstones, I'm afraid.

I agree. Why them?Hopefully they won't be doing most of the writing. If they do, SGA will go down alot sooner than expected. I'll still watch though.

PG15
December 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Why them? Because (I think) they're the most senior staff on the, well, staff, besides Wright and Cooper, who are off writing the movies.

Descent
December 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Why them? Because (I think) they're the most senior staff on the, well, staff, besides Wright and Cooper, who are off writing the movies.

And apparently developing a third series as well. ;)

I personally think Martin Gero should be the new showrunner but whatever.

PG15
December 16th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Me too. But, he's still there and most likely will continue to contribute his UberGod-hood-ness to the stories. ;)

Missster.Freeman
December 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Having only seen up until Phantoms, I can say with absolute certainty that I'm: Maybe/Undecided.

david2708
December 16th, 2006, 06:20 PM
And apparently developing a third series as well. ;)
And why would any channel buy a third series from them when one show is axed and the other has a shrinking audience.

PG15
December 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
And why would any channel buy a series that was already axed after 5 years?

david2708
December 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM
And why would any channel buy a series that was already axed after 5 years?
The Sifi channel is a business and they make business decisions. You honestly think they would invest in another show of the same type when the previous two are trending toward dwindling audience interest? They aren't going to invest in another show just to please a core fanbase that shows only contraction.
Fandom and business accuem obviously don't coincide, and fans need to realise all good things must eventually end. The franchise under it's current shape is coming to an end, but of course we'll see the same SG-1 type threads howling shock horror when the show is axed. The fact that audience interest dropped significantly doesn't seem to clue in die hard fans.

PG15
December 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I only got 2 words to that: We'll see.

Well...2-and-a-half.

Quinn Mallory
December 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM
The Sifi channel is a business and they make business decisions. You honestly think they would invest in another show of the same type when the previous two are trending toward dwindling audience interest? They aren't going to invest in another show just to please a core fanbase that shows only contraction.
Fandom and business accuem obviously don't coincide, and fans need to realise all good things must eventually end. The franchise under it's current shape is coming to an end, but of course we'll see the same SG-1 type threads howling shock horror when the show is axed. The fact that audience interest dropped significantly doesn't seem to clue in die hard fans.

Here is the thing with a new series though. Other than the one star, you can load it with plenty of new faces which translates to cheaper contract. Also, with the new series and SGA sharing plenty of the same set/crew, you can save on the cost. The fan base is also already there and with a new show, you can always hope to attract more audience just on the basis that the show is NEW. So there are plenty of good business reason for SciFi to want to pick up a 3rd SG series.

sherryw
December 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I love the show and will continue to watch it as long as it's on.

Pitry
December 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM

well, considering that';s the ongoing trend in all of SciFi's current listing, and that being critically acclaimed still wouldn't bring in advertisers if the ratings are bad, why shoudln't they pick a show based on a principal that al;ready has a fanbase than try with another shpw only to see it fails?

Mitchell82
December 17th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Well yes I do. Sg-1 and SGA have lost a few viewers but Scifi is still pleased with SGA so yes I think they would indeed want to greenlight a third series with a big established fan base. Still I want the third series far away from scifi.

Gregorius
December 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Well yes I do. Sg-1 and SGA have lost a few viewers but Scifi is still pleased with SGA so yes I think they would indeed want to greenlight a third series with a big established fan base. Still I want the third series far away from scifi.

A third series would need a completely new PTB since the current one has proven not to be capable of writing episodes and seasons that have decent character development and continuity. Instead of doing what they have to, which is to concentrate on saving Atlantis, they keep writing mediocre, or even worse, stuff. They they've become so conceited with themselves that if they were to create a third series it would become even worse than SG-1 is at the moment and would result, even if a new series would start with a strong fanbase, in the complete and utter alienation of the fanbase and in the end quite possibly the death of the franchise.

As for Atlantis season 4, I'm not sure if I'll watch it. Season 3 so far has been a dissapointment, it's continuing the trend set by season two of Deus Ex Machina solutions to everything and the expedition becomming more inept with what they're doing every episode. It's more the "McKay & Sheppard" show than it is Stargate: Atlantis, which in my opinion it only was in the first season, after that it become the "McKay and Sheppard show".

Ltcolshepjumper
December 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Uh, Season three has been exceptional except for Irresponsible and Irresistable.

Gregorius
December 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Uh, Season three has been exceptional except for Irresponsible and Irresistable.

Season 3, from what I've seen so far, is far from exceptional, it's mediocre at best. Most solutions used are "Deus ex machina" style solutions usually faciliated by Rodney or there is Sheppard fixing everything and everyone lives on happily ever after. In fact you can basicly write a script plan:

1) Team gets in trouble.
2) Team faces extreme odd against them.
3) Rodney or Sheppard do something and save the day.
4) The team is saved and everyone's happy.

Then again, I have high standards when it comes to SciFi (and TV series in general) because I've seen series that actually get better per season (Babylon 5, DS9, Farscape), where as Atlantis only had one good season (Season 1) and other than that it only had a few good episodes.

Mitchell82
December 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Season 3, from what I've seen so far, is far from exceptional, it's mediocre at best. Most solutions used are "Deus ex machina" style solutions usually faciliated by Rodney or there is Sheppard fixing everything and everyone lives on happily ever after. In fact you can basicly write a script plan:

1) Team gets in trouble.
2) Team faces extreme odd against them.
3) Rodney or Sheppard do something and save the day.
4) The team is saved and everyone's happy.

Then again, I have high standards when it comes to SciFi (and TV series in general) because I've seen series that actually get better per season (Babylon 5, DS9, Farscape), where as Atlantis only had one good season (Season 1) and other than that it only had a few good episodes.

Well I see your point but alas disagree.

Ltcolshepjumper
December 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM
It's far from terrible.

Mitchell82
December 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
It's far from terrible.

I agree.

david2708
December 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM
A third series would need a completely new PTB since the current one has proven not to be capable of writing episodes and seasons that have decent character development and continuity. Instead of doing what they have to, which is to concentrate on saving Atlantis, they keep writing mediocre, or even worse, stuff. They they've become so conceited with themselves that if they were to create a third series it would become even worse than SG-1 is at the moment and would result, even if a new series would start with a strong fanbase, in the complete and utter alienation of the fanbase and in the end quite possibly the death of the franchise.

As for Atlantis season 4, I'm not sure if I'll watch it. Season 3 so far has been a dissapointment, it's continuing the trend set by season two of Deus Ex Machina solutions to everything and the expedition becomming more inept with what they're doing every episode. It's more the "McKay & Sheppard" show than it is Stargate: Atlantis, which in my opinion it only was in the first season, after that it become the "McKay and Sheppard show".
It would be absurd if Malozzi & Co came up with a 3rd series when they are the culprits resonsible for the dwindling audience of the two previous shows and think the execs wouldn't take that into account.
A whole new team of writers/producers & directors would have to be hired. Of course, that wont happen as the same old hacks will be peddling their tired old concepts as usual.
When you look at it, Malozzi& Mullie have no Scifi conceptual ideas whatsoever.
Usually they'll think-hey lets have 16th century type courtly intrigue set in the Gate universe. We'll have the ailing king, the court jester, the unmarried daughter without heir etc......all that sort of crap. We've already had the Ori medi-evil rubbish serve up and I bet they've got technological advanced cavemen lined up to make an appearance.
I think the fans are in dreamland to think there will be a third series.

Pitry
December 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I agree.

No! It's the end of the world! Run fo your life!

cough, sorry. :)

Rudeljaeger
December 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Sure I will.

I think everyone will have the time to check at least one Episode...

TJuk
December 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry I have to agree while season 3 has been far better then season 2, season 1 is still by far the best season. Why? Because it was a truely exceptionally ANSEMBLE SHOW and CONSISTANTLY written. Assemble is the key, it gives all the characters a chance to shine and therefore keeps all the collective fanbase happy and helps introduce new viewers because they have a diverse group of people to identify with.

But these two very important factors have been less and less and have lead to its decline over the last two seasons. Gone is the assemble feel, as others have said its the 'Sheppard and Rodney' show, though more and more now its the 'Rodney and friends' show. I know the writers enjoy writing him, god knows he is a fantastic character played by a brilliant actor but it is KILLING the show. The scirpts have become forumlaic and predictable, enjoyable yes, but if that trend continues...see my previous sentence. And I'm not the only one to say that, its been said in print multiple times by professional critics.

I'm intrigued to see what JM&PM can do with the show, because frankly with all the 'shake up' planned, it cant get much worse. Nothing like being handed a really tough job! Let's hope they have the sense to reverse some of the insane decisions (no prizes for guessing what No#1 is on my list). And remember they may have written some complete clunkers, but not everyone is perfect and they HAVE written some of the very BEST episodes of both series (Window of Opportunity, The Seige Part 2).

Personally I think the thing that needs a 'shake-up' is behind the camera, not in front. Ditching dead weight on the writing team like Gero would be my recommendation. Gero was easily my favourite favourite writer in season 1 but since he became staff he's just been IMO a lazy writer. With the exception of Duet he recycles old SG scripts, re-writes previous seasons cliff hangers, rips off (sorry 'homage') movies blatantly and uses the same old plot devices over and over. Judging by the recent interviews and some prize quotes its a combination of ego, and McKay is his 'Mary Sue' character. How can any decent writer say 'I write what I want to see on screen' and feel thats a good statement to make?

Binder KEEP KEEP KEEP. The man has a great talent for seeing both the actor and character's strengths and weaknesses and writing to that. He is also the best for team & assemble eps which if you look at ep discussion threads, are easily the fan favourites. I would also like to see Damien Kindler back on the SGA writing team because I hope that they 'deal' with the retrovirus arc rather then sweeping it under the carpet and he seems to deal with those complex moralistic storylines excellently. And of course Ken C! Cant say 'Common Ground' was my fav of this season, but it was certain a good episode with some interesting threads that need exploring more!!

Just my 2 cents, I doubt unless Beckett is brought back FULL time and/or the writing improves dramatically I'll be around to watch it happen.

jannagalaxy
December 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I will be wathcing next season. Even though I'm upset that may fave character won't be there. :(

Anyway, got to try something and give it ago. :)

david2708
December 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Many people say it's become the Mackay and Sheppard Show, more so the "Mackay and friends" show. Mackay divides the fans/audience most of all. Diehards think he's wonderful but alot of general audience find him a one note windbag.People I know who have caught the odd episode have commented on the 'annoying guy who whines all the time'. They also don't find him funny in the least. He's a switch off factor for those not heavily invested in the show.
The Bad news is since ratings are dwindling, the Scifi execs will probably demand more standalone episodes in an attempt to capture more casual viewers. They'll reason long arc stories will confuse any new viewer so they'll want easily digestable 1 hour fillers.
The fact that this attitude usually kills a show won't stop them demanding it. It happened on Angel in its last season and it also happened on Alias in its forth season. Both shows never recovered.

Mitchell82
December 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry I have to agree while season 3 has been far better then season 2, season 1 is still by far the best season. Why? Because it was a truely exceptionally ANSEMBLE SHOW and CONSISTANTLY written. Assemble is the key, it gives all the characters a chance to shine and therefore keeps all the collective fanbase happy and helps introduce new viewers because they have a diverse group of people to identify with.

But these two very important factors have been less and less and have lead to its decline over the last two seasons. Gone is the assemble feel, as others have said its the 'Sheppard and Rodney' show, though more and more now its the 'Rodney and friends' show. I know the writers enjoy writing him, god knows he is a fantastic character played by a brilliant actor but it is KILLING the show. The scirpts have become forumlaic and predictable, enjoyable yes, but if that trend continues...see my previous sentence. And I'm not the only one to say that, its been said in print multiple times by professional critics.

I'm intrigued to see what JM&PM can do with the show, because frankly with all the 'shake up' planned, it cant get much worse. Nothing like being handed a really tough job! Let's hope they have the sense to reverse some of the insane decisions (no prizes for guessing what No#1 is on my list). And remember they may have written some complete clunkers, but not everyone is perfect and they HAVE written some of the very BEST episodes of both series (Window of Opportunity, The Seige Part 2).

Personally I think the thing that needs a 'shake-up' is behind the camera, not in front. Ditching dead weight on the writing team like Gero would be my recommendation. Gero was easily my favourite favourite writer in season 1 but since he became staff he's just been IMO a lazy writer. With the exception of Duet he recycles old SG scripts, re-writes previous seasons cliff hangers, rips off (sorry 'homage') movies blatantly and uses the same old plot devices over and over. Judging by the recent interviews and some prize quotes its a combination of ego, and McKay is his 'Mary Sue' character. How can any decent writer say 'I write what I want to see on screen' and feel thats a good statement to make?

Binder KEEP KEEP KEEP. The man has a great talent for seeing both the actor and character's strengths and weaknesses and writing to that. He is also the best for team & assemble eps which if you look at ep discussion threads, are easily the fan favourites. I would also like to see Damien Kindler back on the SGA writing team because I hope that they 'deal' with the retrovirus arc rather then sweeping it under the carpet and he seems to deal with those complex moralistic storylines excellently. And of course Ken C! Cant say 'Common Ground' was my fav of this season, but it was certain a good episode with some interesting threads that need exploring more!!

Just my 2 cents, I doubt unless Beckett is brought back FULL time and/or the writing improves dramatically I'll be around to watch it happen.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you at least give it a shot.

Pitry
December 19th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Many people say it's become the Mackay and Sheppard Show, more so the "Mackay and friends" show. Mackay divides the fans/audience most of all. Diehards think he's wonderful but alot of general audience find him a one note windbag.People I know who have caught the odd episode have commented on the 'annoying guy who whines all the time'. They also don't find him funny in the least. He's a switch off factor for those not heavily invested in the show.
The Bad news is since ratings are dwindling, the Scifi execs will probably demand more standalone episodes in an attempt to capture more casual viewers. They'll reason long arc stories will confuse any new viewer so they'll want easily digestable 1 hour fillers.
The fact that this attitude usually kills a show won't stop them demanding it. It happened on Angel in its last season and it also happened on Alias in its forth season. Both shows never recovered.

And there are people who don't liek Sheppard, and there are people who don't like Weir, adn there are people who don't like Teylaand there are people who don't like Ronon.
Maybe they shoudl jsut drop the entire cast adn start with a nwe one, especialy made to be enjoyed by all 6 or so billion people on the planet Earth?...

SGAFan
December 19th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Yep. I'll be watching :D

I have to admit with all the changes going on, I"m hesitant. I actually like season three very much (there have been a few eps I'm not overly crazy about) but there have been some FANTASTIC character and team episodes as well.

I'm hesitant because I feel like Atlantis is really starting to hit its stride (the characters are coming together, etc) and (spoilers for end of season 3)

they're shaking it up quite a bit with Beckett leaving and Tapping coming in, along with Beckett's replacement. even at the producer/writer level things are changing a lot.

I'm hesitant because I feel like they're messing with a good thing. Trying to fix something that really isn't broken!

So, I'm a little wary, but going into the whole thing with an open mind. Been wary before, and turned out to be pleasantly surprised :D

david2708
December 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
And there are people who don't liek Sheppard, and there are people who don't like Weir, adn there are people who don't like Teylaand there are people who don't like Ronon.
Maybe they shoudl jsut drop the entire cast adn start with a nwe one, especialy made to be enjoyed by all 6 or so billion people on the planet Earth?...
Mackay stands head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in the annoyance factor. The rest, you could argue, are pretty ineffectual and don't really frighten the horses too much.
All in all, Atlantis, to me, has the same stench that season 8 of Gate had: The diehard fans thought it all wonderful despite the dreadful writing and, of course, 2 years hence, the show got axed. I get the same vibe with Atlantis.

Cinc1
December 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I can’t see any reason to not at least give it a chance.

Ltcolshepjumper
December 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Not giving it a chance is odd, because 9/10 those who say they won't give it a chance will end up watching, even if they criticize it.

Mitchell82
December 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Not giving it a chance is odd, because 9/10 those who say they won't give it a chance will end up watching, even if they criticize it.

Some will but I know some will just all out not watch b/c Carson is leaving.

travis
December 20th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Some will but I know some will just all out not watch b/c Carson is leaving.

I bet you all these people whom say they won't watch will eventually watch it when there really borded or desperate that nothing else is on.

I say this cause I really hate BSG but watch it cause nothing else to watch, lol but I still hate it.:D

TJuk
December 20th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I bet you all these people whom say they won't watch will eventually watch it when there really borded or desperate that nothing else is on.

I say this cause I really hate BSG but watch it cause nothing else to watch, lol but I still hate it.:D

Well *this* person is in the 'wont watch without Beckett' catagory.

I'm a working professional, I can slack off online when at work but not watch TV, so I have a limited amount of time free for TV which means I'm choosey. I stopped watching SG1 mid-s8 cos it just wasn't the show I enjoyed anymore. Not saying it was good or bad but all the change were too much for me and its nothing in comparison to whats happening to s4 of SGA. Not to mention I do not agree with the changes made, why REPLACE a main character just after promoting him BECAUSE of his popularity? Stupid, unfair and completely out of order! AND the writing has gone down hill, I dont fancy watching this show go out with the whimper its on course for if they dont pull their act together. I might watch any eps that bring Beckett back...though tbh I think that is a hollow promise and will believe it when I see it...

Add that to the fact there are plenty of new and existing good shows out there, BSG, Heroes, Dead Zone, Dr Who, Torchwood (well ok its cheese but I like it), 4400...and I'm really hoping Scifi turn 'The Lost Room' into a series because that was one excellent mini-series!!! TBH I'd rather turn over then be constantly disappointed, they have to earn my viewing loyalty.

I'm open to have my mind changed though but thats ONLY if they reinstate Beckett otherwise... No s4 for me as a matter of principle.

kimaken
December 20th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Hear, hear, TJUK! I'm total agreement with you on this. I'll only watch S4 eps if I hear that Beckett will be in them, but otherwise...there are other things I can do instead during that time period.

Mitchell82
December 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I know what you mean. I liked BSG in the begining but don't anymore. Still from time to time I watch it b/c there is nothing else good on.

Anjirika
December 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I will TOTALLY give season 4 a chance. Even with Carson leaving, I think that this season has been great thus far- with no clunker episodes (except maybe Irresponsible)- and a great sense of team and interpersonal dynamics.

But that's just my opinion. ^_^

Pitry
December 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Mackay stands head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in the annoyance factor. The rest, you could argue, are pretty ineffectual and don't really frighten the horses too much.

And that alone shoudl teach you how personal opinions tend to differ.
I find myself much more annoyed about a character that's standing there with no good reason adn gets little to no character development than a character who\s purposely written as an egocentric megalomaniac. People might find Rodney annoying - but I find the compelte and utter dismissal of other hcaracters so much more frustrating. As a matter of fact, with the way Atlantis has been going on season 3, the only thing that stops me from seeing it as a truely great show is that factor.

All in all, Atlantis, to me, has the same stench that season 8 of Gate had: The diehard fans thought it all wonderful despite the dreadful writing and, of course, 2 years hence, the show got axed. I get the same vibe with Atlantis.

Er, had you talked about season 9 I wouldn't've botehred arguing, because TBH I'm tired of it. But... season 8? You do realise that's the highest rated season in the history of the show? Which means that it wasn't the diehard fans who loved it, it was the casual viewers that thought it was good enough to tune in again every Friday.

Willow'sCat
December 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
But these two very important factors have been less and less and have lead to its decline over the last two seasons. Gone is the assemble feel, as others have said its the 'Sheppard and Rodney' show, though more and more now its the 'Rodney and friends' show. I know the writers enjoy writing him, god knows he is a fantastic character played by a brilliant actor but it is KILLING the show. The scripts have become forumlaic and predictable, enjoyable yes, but if that trend continues...see my previous sentence. And I'm not the only one to say that, its been said in print multiple times by professional critics. I have to say I disagree and no not because I love Rodney as a character but becasue it is clear that most of the episodes you *general you* would call Rodney eps are some of, if not, the best of the series. They also offered some of the more poignant moments on the show, a show that otherwise is quite happy to ignore any TEAM or friendship moments.

Now people may argue that any other character could be written to do the same thing, but I also disagree, one of the things with McKay is that he makes it easy for people to tease him, make fun of him but also forgive him and go that extra mile for him. You really have no other character that comes close in SGA to bringing out the best and worst in the other characters. I think SGA would be a waste land of cliche without him, it would be no better then say The Enterprise. :p But many will disagree with me, I know, don't worry I know. ;)

I also think people are missing the point, it is not so much that McKay is always there it is that the others are so badly realised, even Sheppard suffers as a badly developed character, tptb just seem hopeless at writing consitently for the other characters, this above all makes any time spent on McKay (eps or not) seem like too much time. If the others are barely there then yeah McKay seems over barring, that is the fault of tptb but it shouldn't lead to people saying McKay should be replaced or downgraded. Why down grade a character that works just because the others don't work as well? Don't work as well through bad or none existing development. That would be truly foolish IMHO. :cool:

Judging by the recent interviews and some prize quotes its a combination of ego, and McKay is his 'Mary Sue' character. How can any decent writer say 'I write what I want to see on screen' and feel thats a good statement to make?I also disagree with that, firstly most writers and indeed creative people do what they want not what some group of fandom wants :rolleyes: he is being honest, he is being honest to himself and while I have had problems with some of MG scripts this season, he still does a better job then the others when it comes to TEAM moments even the "moments" I hated others seemed to love. I think he has over used McKay but then he also is honest about that, he loves writing for him, he says so. :cool:

I am also not a big CB fan as he is hit & miss, he relies to heavily on the *dum dee dum dum* style of drama, it was fun in the 70s but I am over it now.

travis
December 20th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Well *this* person is in the 'wont watch without Beckett' catagory.

I'm a working professional, I can slack off online when at work but not watch TV, so I have a limited amount of time free for TV which means I'm choosey. I stopped watching SG1 mid-s8 cos it just wasn't the show I enjoyed anymore. Not saying it was good or bad but all the change were too much for me and its nothing in comparison to whats happening to s4 of SGA. Not to mention I do not agree with the changes made, why REPLACE a main character just after promoting him BECAUSE of his popularity? Stupid, unfair and completely out of order! AND the writing has gone down hill, I dont fancy watching this show go out with the whimper its on course for if they dont pull their act together. I might watch any eps that bring Beckett back...though tbh I think that is a hollow promise and will believe it when I see it...

Add that to the fact there are plenty of new and existing good shows out there, BSG, Heroes, Dead Zone, Dr Who, Torchwood (well ok its cheese but I like it), 4400...and I'm really hoping Scifi turn 'The Lost Room' into a series because that was one excellent mini-series!!! TBH I'd rather turn over then be constantly disappointed, they have to earn my viewing loyalty.

I'm open to have my mind changed though but thats ONLY if they reinstate Beckett otherwise... No s4 for me as a matter of principle.

I totally understand your reasoning, but are'nt you just alittle bit curious to how season 4 will unfold and at least watch a few eps to see before you condeme it to hell. Plus is'nt it the reason why Beckett is leaving is because he is doing another TV show?

doofy
December 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I totally understand your reasoning, but are'nt you just alittle bit curious to how season 4 will unfold and at least watch a few eps to see before you condeme it to hell. Plus is'nt it the reason why Beckett is leaving is because he is doing another TV show?

If you have read what Paul has been saying over the last few weeks (and listened to him at conventions), it is fairly obvious that Paul is gutted about leaving the show. I can see people's reasoning, but this is SGA, not the Rodney McKay show...

Mitchell82
December 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I will TOTALLY give season 4 a chance. Even with Carson leaving, I think that this season has been great thus far- with no clunker episodes (except maybe Irresponsible)- and a great sense of team and interpersonal dynamics.

But that's just my opinion. ^_^

Nope not just your's. My opinion aswell.

Mitchell82
December 20th, 2006, 11:24 PM
If you have read what Paul has been saying over the last few weeks (and listened to him at conventions), it is fairly obvious that Paul is gutted about leaving the show. I can see people's reasoning, but this is SGA, not the Rodney McKay show...

? I know what you mean about Paul but what do you mean about Rodney? As far as I can tell each ep has not been entierly centered around him.

Orlin2000
December 21st, 2006, 02:09 AM
well as long as there is a gate, a bad guy and pple to go through it to fight the bad guy i will keep watching. I will keep watching even if theres just a gate and some commentary. Hell if they played an hour of shiny lights and audio saying the word stargate, i would watch it on tv and then buy the dvd. because i know that you couldnt find better shiny lights newhere else. I am a loyal stargate fan till tv becomes redundant or i die. but i digress in answer to your question i will give season 4 a chance as will every damn person on this forum because.... they wouldnt be here unless they got something out of watching stargate. And for those nigels in the world who do stop watching all 3 of you can go get stuffed.

doofy
December 21st, 2006, 02:57 AM
well as long as there is a gate, a bad guy and pple to go through it to fight the bad guy i will keep watching. I will keep watching even if theres just a gate and some commentary. Hell if they played an hour of shiny lights and audio saying the word stargate, i would watch it on tv and then buy the dvd. because i know that you couldnt find better shiny lights newhere else. I am a loyal stargate fan till tv becomes redundant or i die. but i digress in answer to your question i will give season 4 a chance as will every damn person on this forum because.... they wouldnt be here unless they got something out of watching stargate. And for those nigels in the world who do stop watching all 3 of you can go get stuffed.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and if some people dont wish to watch season 4 for various reasons, then we should not slag them off, just as we shouldn't do the same who carry on watching - it's a personal choice. But just watching Stargate just because it carries the name - I disagree - it's getting away from the point that we have been shortchanged in the quality of the show (again my opinion) - especially in the light of season 1. Those who say its not turning into a one man show? Well, although it may not be deliberate - the writers have become very lazy - they write well for Rodney, but when it comes to the other characters - they are passed over quite significantly. One of the hallmarks of SGA from season 1 was the group interaction, but this seems to have been ditched in favour of Rodney-centic stories(and dont get me wrong - he's a great character). I may watch some eps just to see if it improves - but the increasing use of the reset button... well I have my doubts.

RussellFinch10
December 21st, 2006, 08:12 AM
Carnt wait for season 4. Season 3 has been amazing and its not even finished yet.

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LaCroix
December 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Yes, I will give season 4 a chance.

Will there be episodes that I like, yes. Will there be episodes that I don't like, yes. But I will be fair and give it a go.

ussrelativity
December 21st, 2006, 06:49 PM
We gotta definetely promote the show far more aggressively, and the show needs to keep pushing better creativity.

Anjirika
December 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM
Nope not just your's. My opinion aswell.

Yay!

And yes, lets bring on the promotion....lets get Atlantian ratings up, up, up so we can get a season 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 as well!

The Engineer
December 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Yes!

The_Fifth
December 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Why not ?

Mitchell82
December 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Yay!

And yes, lets bring on the promotion....lets get Atlantian ratings up, up, up so we can get a season 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 as well!

Love that idea!

Freekzilla
December 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Hmm, will I be watching season 4? I'll probably give it a chance, atleast a slim one. I'm not really happy about some of the changes that are being made though.

Reasons to watch:
1.) It's SGA for cryin out loud.
2.) We still have Sheppard, McKay and Ronon.
3.) Maybe we'll see more of Zelenka
4.) Who knows if there will be a season 5.
5.) Atleast MS, CJ, AT, and BB are not on SGA. (I like them, but they had their own show.)
6.) So far, season 3 has been great, except for the Lucious Lavin episodes.
7.) Perhaps with new characters, we won't get such an overdose of McKay all the time.
8.) Come on, Atlantis is cool. The Puddle Jumpers are cool. Generally, the tech on SGA is cooler than on SG-1.
9.) If we get lucky, maybe Jewel Staite's character will get killed, blown up, or fed upon by a wraith. I'll DEFINITELY cheer when/if that happens.

Reasons to skip Season 4:
1.) Jewel Staite is coming to the show for more than 3/10's of a second.
2.) Paul M./Beckett is leaving the show.
3.) Amanda Tapping is coming to the show. (A visit is nice, but come on. She's had her show. Bringing her over will just mess up the character dynamics.)
4.) Jewel Staite is joining the cast for atleast 14 episodes. (YUCK!)
5.) Robert Cooper won't be involved as much.
6.) The Asurans are boring as the main big baddie.
7.) The SciFi Channel is likely to try to influence what goes on.
8.) Did I mention Jewel Staite is joining the cast. (Yes she is THAT bad.)

JTLover
December 28th, 2006, 03:41 PM
3.) Amanda Tapping is coming to the show. (A visit is nice, but come on. She's had her show. Bringing her over will just mess up the character dynamics.)

Wow, dude. Why do you hate Jewel Staite so much? I thought she was good in Instinct. I agree with you about the Asurans. I mean I loved the Replicators but I mostly loved the bugs and not the human form ones. Without the bugs the Asurans just aren't like the Replicators IMO. Bring back the Wraith.:wraith:

Anyways, oh yes. Absolutely. Bring on SGA Season 4 and lets hope there's a Season 5, 6, 7, etc.

Lauriel
December 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Wow, dude. Why do you hate Jewel Staite so much? I thought she was good in Instinct. I agree with you about the Asurans. I mean I loved the Replicators but I mostly loved the bugs and not the human form ones. Without the bugs the Asurans just aren't like the Replicators IMO. Bring back the Wraith.:wraith:

Anyways, oh yes. Absolutely. Bring on SGA Season 4 and lets hope there's a Season 5, 6, 7, etc.

Agreed with you about the Asurans too. I think they've taken the Replicator storyline in all the interesting places in SG-1. Time to move on. Also not too thrilled about AT coming over. As has already been said, she had her show.

I don't mind JS coming over though, I thought she was really good in Firefly. I think most of the resentment is because she is replacing PM, and very few want to see him go - me included. I don't think it's fair to take that out on JS though. I'll give her a chance.

IWKYZerocool
December 29th, 2006, 01:50 AM
My answer = YES

i have watched Stargate since it came out in the movies in 1996 (i think) Stargate is part of my life, as long as it keeps going i will be watching.

Mitchell82
December 29th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Hmm, will I be watching season 4? I'll probably give it a chance, atleast a slim one. I'm not really happy about some of the changes that are being made though.

Reasons to watch:
1.) It's SGA for cryin out loud.
2.) We still have Sheppard, McKay and Ronon.
3.) Maybe we'll see more of Zelenka
4.) Who knows if there will be a season 5.
5.) Atleast MS, CJ, AT, and BB are not on SGA. (I like them, but they had their own show.)
6.) So far, season 3 has been great, except for the Lucious Lavin episodes.
7.) Perhaps with new characters, we won't get such an overdose of McKay all the time.
8.) Come on, Atlantis is cool. The Puddle Jumpers are cool. Generally, the tech on SGA is cooler than on SG-1.
9.) If we get lucky, maybe Jewel Staite's character will get killed, blown up, or fed upon by a wraith. I'll DEFINITELY cheer when/if that happens.

I agree on one point and that is it is sad that Paul is leaving. Not enough reason to stop watching though. Also i don't mind at all JS or AT coming on as they are great actresses and as long as it's done well they could be great aditions.

StevenCaldwell
December 29th, 2006, 05:58 AM
corse i will!!!!!!!!!!

StevenCaldwell
December 29th, 2006, 08:06 AM
give it a chace people

StevenCaldwell
December 29th, 2006, 08:10 AM
if season 4 is as good as season 3 bring it on

squire.spotz
December 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I like the first Post. Atlantis should go back to the origonial premise.
Isolated and Exploring the city although that gives teyla and ronan less to do

my thoughts on what should happen

Mc Kay Should somehow destroy the gate control crystals [spoiler] as it at least gives a premise where they can have carter but she will be out of the way building a dialing computer and intergrating to ancient tec

becket returns as normal

the war with the ori leaves Apollo stranded in pegasus and the dadelus stranded in the milky way [spoiler]

Mitchell82
December 29th, 2006, 02:44 PM
if season 4 is as good as season 3 bring it on

Bring it on indeed. Also I agree everyone should at least give it a chance.

david2708
December 29th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I tend to skip episodes that are Rodeny heavy. With season 4, I'll only tune in if he's pushed more to the background and the others are featured more. If the tone doesn't change and MCKay seems to dominate, I'll tune out for good.

krzykat
December 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM
this is one of my fav shows, i am looking forward to another season

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 29th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'll watch SGA because it's a great show. The plot's great, I also like the CG scenes.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 29th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hell yes!!!

Mitchell82
December 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I tend to skip episodes that are Rodeny heavy. With season 4, I'll only tune in if he's pushed more to the background and the others are featured more. If the tone doesn't change and MCKay seems to dominate, I'll tune out for good.

What have you got against Mckay?

Mitchell82
December 30th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I'll watch SGA because it's a great show. The plot's great, I also like the CG scenes.

Agree. I still remember tuning into a show long ago called Sg-1 that at first had crappy effects but got way better. SGA started with great effects and even they got better! I love this show!

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 31st, 2006, 02:57 AM
What have you got against Mckay?

Probably, the fact McKay gets far too much development and almost always saves the day.

defending
December 31st, 2006, 04:35 AM
I will have to see how season 3 panes out, so I voted maybe. There is less and less reason to watch these days for me, but as I said wait and see how the latter episodes go.

Matt G
December 31st, 2006, 04:50 AM
I'll definately cut S4 more slack that SG1 S9. I'm annoyed about Beckett getting written out but as S3 is better than SG1 S10(and SG1 S7, 8 and 9 for that matter) then yeah, I'll stick with it.

Mitchell82
January 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'll definately cut S4 more slack that SG1 S9. I'm annoyed about Beckett getting written out but as S3 is better than SG1 S10(and SG1 S7, 8 and 9 for that matter) then yeah, I'll stick with it.

Well not much faith in Sg-1 eh. I for one loved all those seasons. Still at least you are giving season 4 a chance.

DarkAngel34994
January 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
I would give season 4 a chance. Even though I a little mad about them writting off Carson. Hes my third favorite character after Teyla and Rondey.

Diesel Vanilla
January 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Despite my earlier willingness to see how it goes... I've changed my mind...

NO!!! NO!!! NO!!!

TPTB suck.

Freekzilla
January 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM

I just can't stand Jewel Staite. I've seen several things she's been in and I have never been impressed at all with her acting. Actually, I don't think she is that good at all. She just comes across like she is acting the part. And that is not the mark of a good actor. Secondly, I don't think she is acttractive all all. She's very plain looking if you ask me. And the fact that she's coming onto Atlantis is very disappointing. It's like we are being forced to trade in the Porsche for a Yugo. :mad:

Mitchell82
January 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
I just can't stand Jewel Staite. I've seen several things she's been in and I have never been impressed at all with her acting. Actually, I don't think she is that good at all. She just comes across like she is acting the part. And that is not the mark of a good actor. Secondly, I don't think she is acttractive all all. She's very plain looking if you ask me. And the fact that she's coming onto Atlantis is very disappointing. It's like we are being forced to trade in the Porsche for a Yugo. :mad:

Well I diagree. Not about loosing a great character just about Jewel. I think she is a great actress and we should give her a chance.

david2708
January 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Probably, the fact McKay gets far too much development and almost always saves the day.
Well, I don't know about development.
The usual Rodney ep features him whining about something and then big noting himself about something. That's about it as far as development goes.
I don't like Mckay because I simply find him an annoying, whining, unfunny windbag.
I've sat in room of casual viewers who have watched the odd Atlantis ep and they mostly say-who is that idiot(Mckay)?. Is he supposed to be funny or something?
The more i think about it, the more I think I won't bother with season 4. The only reason to tune in will the the season finale which will probably be its last episode ever.
I expect it to be axed sometime during the 4th season.

lizzy4ever
January 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Yes, of course!! can't say that I'm happy with sga now because they're going to reduce the role of my favourite character, but I remain a stargate fan !!! And I really enjoyed season 3 so far, so I'll give season 4 a chance

:weir: Save Elizabeth:weir:

Reefgirl
January 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I'm going to keep watching

pisces27
January 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Yes!

Blower'sGate
January 17th, 2007, 10:56 AM
The thing is Yes " I'll give it a chance " but it'll be the last one I'll give...

Phex
January 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM
No

Why should I.

What is the saying fool me once....blame on you....fool me twice.

SGA turned out to be a diffrent show than the one I started to watch. A show that wasn't like all those others about pain loss drama relationship or tears. It were great episodes that you could just watch and have fun eith some great charackters.

Now it isn't anymore.

Detox
January 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM
No

Why should I.

What is the saying fool me once....blame on you....fool me twice.

SGA turned out to be a diffrent show than the one I started to watch. A show that wasn't like all those others about pain loss drama relationship or tears. It were great episodes that you could just watch and have fun eith some great charackters.

Now it isn't anymore.

{Mod Snip} Of course it's a different show then the one you started watching, and it will continue to change. They show can't stay the same forever. Storyline changes, cast and characters changes, everything changes. You can't honestly expect it to stay the same for the whole time. And what's worse, how can you possibly judge something when it hasn't even come out yet? I think it's just plain idiotic of people to simply just toss Season 4 as crap without even seeing it. You don't know it'll be bad. You don't know what it'll be like. It could be utter crap, it could also be the best season yet. You don't know yet.

If you have to be so {mod Snip} that you'll just give up on a show cause they changed some things, things you don't even know will be good or bad, then you don't even deserve to watch TV.

nemisis
January 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
season for take it slow and let the good tyms rool:cool: apart from a few sad things :( it will be ok and more cool tech

Daniel Jackson
January 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
YES

I am irritated with Weir's reduced role in Season 4, but aside from that, it sounds like a very exciting year. :weir: :sheppard: :mckay:

Fudgiepoos
January 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I've voted yes. I will watch it but I guess we'll see. I'll try to be open minded. It'll probably be worth asking this question again when season 4 has aired some episodes.

But I am disappointed about Weir's reduced role and Carson's exit.

Mitchell82
January 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I've voted yes. I will watch it but I guess we'll see. I'll try to be open minded. It'll probably be worth asking this question again when season 4 has aired some episodes.

But I am disappointed about Weir's reduced role and Carson's exit.

As am I but not to the extreme point as some. I am more than open as i will watch simply b/c it is still a great show and way better than much of the crap on tv these days.

telpethoniel
January 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I hope their not reducing Weir's role because Sam's coming over...that would totally suck...Sam wasn't the only reason SG1 was succesful.
I kinda get the feeling that someones gonna be totally clueless if this doesn't work out...stuff in Atlantis is getting old & boring way too fast and the city has lost it's charm...they should stay on certain subjects longer to drag it on a bit...enemies seem too easy to kill, it just seems that they can handle anything so it sucks all the tension and excitement out of it
It's like...don't stress the'll just do what they did last time...and yes I am about 1 eighth of my way thru Sunday so I could possibly stand corrected but we will see

Gen_J_O'Neill
January 18th, 2007, 01:00 AM
^ I feel the same way. Although Ive loved s3 its just been a bit too easy for the team.

Yes, I will be watching s4. Its still a great show and im really excited about the changes that are taking place. I cant wait to see how they pan out.

dana
January 18th, 2007, 02:41 AM
If you have to be so {mod Snip} that you'll just give up on a show cause they changed some things, things you don't even know will be good or bad, then you don't even deserve to watch TV.

Are you kidding me? Last I checked people were free to do what they wanted and if it means that the show will lose some viewers you don't need to call them names because of their opinion. If you don't like that someone will not watch it, then it's your problem. You just watch and enjoy.

For the record, I voted maybe. Depends on how the changes will be handled. But I'm more on the negative side right now.

Mitchell82
January 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
^ I feel the same way. Although Ive loved s3 its just been a bit too easy for the team.

Yes, I will be watching s4. Its still a great show and im really excited about the changes that are taking place. I cant wait to see how they pan out.

As am I. I am anxious to see how this pans out.

Chailyn
January 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Of course I'll give it a chance. I'm not happy about losing characters or, mostly, about Carter coming on, but I'm going to wait and see. If I don't like what they've done after a couple episodes, then I'll just switch off. Kinda like what happened to Enterprise and the great exodus of season 2. I tried so hard to hang in there, but I can only tolerate so much. :p

aviv18391
January 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Yes ! OH YES !!! of course ill keep watching my most favorite show,
the only problem is that the cast are pushing carter to every hole they can push her into, even sneak her into SG atlantis even though she does NOT, i repeat NOT belong in there, for god sake why can't they just keep our precious carson around ??? it's not fair !
but i definatly will keep watching it.

Tristen
January 18th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Changes or no changes (well, as long as the team i.e. Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla stays intact), I will definitely be watching! :D

xTristen

grasshopper
January 18th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I believe if you vote in one of these polls, you should probably give an explanation.
I voted no. I love Atlantis. It isn't the best thing on tv; it has always been to my reckoning a more enjoyable program than most shows out there today. It has a lovely team feel, tons of different people to 'ship' for, and isn't continually depressing like BSG has become (although I enjoy BSG.)
So why the no vote?
It isn't the only thing on tv. I do not expect any producer, writer or anyone involved on the show to listen to what we have to say. They write for themselves and it is their vision not ours. I do have expectations, when I shell out the money for dvd's, verbally extol the virtues of watching the show (live even) and in general give them my support. My expectations do not entitle me to drive the direction of the show.
I AM upset over the loss of Weir. I am disappointed that Carson won't be on next year. Can they remove favorite characters never telling me why? Yup. That is their right, it is their show. It is also my right to no longer watch because the remaining characters are not as interesting to me, or I no longer care for the direction the show heads. When half (that is quite probably a gross hyperbole) the viewers for X-Files left when Mulder left, was it just crazy loons? Or just people saying 'this doesn't really interest me anymore'?
I probably would not have watched many episodes without Weir in them, although I might have given it a chance and seen what direction they were heading. I do love the show. Right now though, I don't see my worrying on a Friday to catch it or bothering to tivo it. All of the happenings have left a bad taste and a feeling of 'Meh' towards the show. I can catch up on all the other shows I've Tivo'd throughout the week, or even better read a book.

mcbarr
January 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Sure I will, but my patience has limits. If TPTB keep on killing the original characters of my favorite show in order to bring new people, I'll have to stop watching, though.

Ehecatl
January 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah! the war with the Asurans is coming and new people and things are making their way on to the new season.

AJZ
January 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Simple answer is Yes! I will give Atlantis season 4 a chance.

lirenel
January 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Definately will give season 4 a chance, especially if the season three ending is good. Of course, I tried giving season 9 of SG-1 a chance and lasted about 3 episodes, but if I'll give a season without Jack a chance, I'll definately give Atlantis a chance.