This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communicating through the wormhole

I've searched the forum and - not to say there isn't something somewhere - I can't find any info on my particular question. It has to do with how the communication through the stargate works. I've seen all of the Atlantis eps and about 15 of SG-1, but haven't hit an answer there either, so I came here.

If someone is on a planet and doesn't have an IDC (lost it), how could they let the folks at home know who they are and where they are?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone just talk through a wormhole -- it's always been some kind of transmission -- so would they have to have a radio?

Do the people in the control rooms have a way of identifying what location a wormhole is coming from?

So basically our poor team member is stuck on a world without an IDC and wants to go home, how could a control room know to let him through?

Thanks so much!

BeckyS
    sigpic

If you lost your GDO then you are most likely screwed. Losing that is like losing your brain, you need it to survive.

Although you could

Go to an offwrold site. Most do not have an iris, although the main off world bases do.
    Oh, believe me its not the first time we tried it
    I shot him...

in the leg...
    I'm invulnerable!
    Spoiler:
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten.
    http://www.aviationexplorer.com/airc...ft_carrier.jpgUSN

Comment

I think that if you've lost your GDO, then sending through your personal ID code (different from your Iris IDC) over the radio would at least let the guys on the other side of that Iris know what's up. Since it's never specifically come up in an episode, though, we don't know for sure.

Spoiler:
      In the Return pt. II Sheppard uses his personal ID code, an alpha-numeric one, to ID himself first to O'Neill and later to Caldwell. It isn't the same situation, but it's similar. Also, Landry orders Walter to lock out their IDC's and personal ID codes, so there does seem to be a distinction.

If I had any say in how things worked, I'd have it get established that SOP for that type of situation would be to dial-in, ID yourself as having lost your GDO, then get instructed to Gate to a third off-world site. Then the SGC (or Alpha-Site, whatever) would dial-in, send a MALP to make sure you haven't been compromised. Once the MALP shows everything is clear, send through an SG team to verify your story, then allow you to Gate back in.

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyS View Post
        I've searched the forum and - not to say there isn't something somewhere - I can't find any info on my particular question. It has to do with how the communication through the stargate works. I've seen all of the Atlantis eps and about 15 of SG-1, but haven't hit an answer there either, so I came here.

If someone is on a planet and doesn't have an IDC (lost it), how could they let the folks at home know who they are and where they are?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone just talk through a wormhole -- it's always been some kind of transmission -- so would they have to have a radio?

Do the people in the control rooms have a way of identifying what location a wormhole is coming from?

So basically our poor team member is stuck on a world without an IDC and wants to go home, how could a control room know to let him through?

Thanks so much!

BeckyS
        They cannot talk through the wormhole, but in few episodes they have said that they can send radiowaves both ways through a wormhole. In an episode in season 3, "Shades of Grey," O'Neill goes to a planet to 'retire' and Hammond tells him that he can't give him a GDO, so he can never return. There is no way to tell where a wormhole is coming from, the only thing they know is that it is inbound. Personal ID code is just used confirming an identity.

: Green is Good.
        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

If you lost your GDO you would most likely be overdue for a checkin and they'd send someone to look for you, so you probably wouldn't be totally screwed. Plus we have allies who have no iris and they probably have pretty consistant contact with Earth so you could always go there if you knew the address.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
            If you lost your GDO then you are most likely screwed. Losing that is like losing your brain, you need it to survive.

Although you could

Go to an offwrold site. Most do not have an iris, although the main off world bases do.
            Go to the Alpha site. theres no Iris there.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X