PDA

View Full Version : Gatecon VS Official Stargate Convention

Shivan
September 1st, 2004, 09:13 AM
What is the difference? I've been hearing about Gatecon and don't know much about it at all.

Is it JUST for Stargate? And which one would you guys rather go to if you got to choose and pick one? I recently just got back from the Official Stargate Convention in Chicago, Illinois and had a blast. It was the best damn convention ever.

So? Anyone want to help me out here, what is Gatecon and which is better?

The Official SG:1 Convention

or

Gatecon 200X

Skydiver
September 1st, 2004, 09:54 AM
my personal preference is gatecon. I have never been to a creation con. However, among all my friends, i've never heard anything really positive about them other than 'if you buy a photo ticket, you'll get your photo' or other such things.

gatecon is fan run. the C-4 don't make any money off this puppy. and all the profits go to Make A Wish (the studio's charity of choice)

yes, it's not the most organized con out there. yes, it's staffed 100% by volunteers (with the exception of mgm required security officers)
but each year, it's more a gathering of friends than a group of attendees.

i've gone 4 of 5 years. by now, i recognize many attendees by face, if not by name. we get together, have fun. it's a rather relaxed atmosphere.

yeah, you do have to pay to get in, but it's also not a 'x hundred to get in the door, x more for autos, x more for photos, x more for this, x more for that' which is how some cons are.

My persnal preference will always be fan run cons. they're run (for the most part) by folks that are doing it to do it, not to see how much money they can make.

gatecon can be rather personal, in the vein that folks know each other. You're not just a badge number or name.

Like i said, it's not perfect. THings have beenmessed up, things have gone wrong. Tempers have gotten short, but at the end of the day, gatecon is a few hundred friends making a yearly trip to spen a long weekend together

Official cons, pay mgm for that word. They shell out however much to be 'official'. And many of them are for profit organizations.

for me, if i'm gonna shell out the money, i like the fact that the proceeds to to a charity instead of into a coroporation's pocket. They get enough as it is

debskec
September 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
First off, glad to hear you enjoyed the con in Chicago, I was there as well!

I've been to a bunch of creation conventions for a couple different shows over the years and went to my first Gatecon this July. I expected Gatecon to be the same as the other cons I'd been to. You go to see the actors, hopefully meet some people to hang out with, get autos/photos, then go home. End of story. Gatecon was so much more than that. If I am able to go back next year, it will be to see all the friends I made. To hang out till random hours of the morning with people from all over the world (and whatever actors are still roaming the halls!). And to celebrate this crazy show that has brought us all together in one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited.

I suppose that sounds a bit hokey, huh? I mean, things did go wrong, tempers can flare at times, and not everyone can always be happy. (Which is why theres a bar in the hotel!) And as skydiver said, I'd rather my money went to charity than a company. Creation, and other industry-run cons, do have their pluses... but gatecon is an experience all in it's own. And in my opinion, definately worth the trip.

Shivan
September 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM
Well, You are wrong to think all the money Creation makes goes towards their pockets. They also give to the Make A Wish foundation. They have auctions and silent auctions to raise money which ALL of it goes towards the Make A Wish foundation. Also they allow other foundations to be a part of the show if they wish.

So...

But I haven't ever been to a Gatecon, so I myself can't say which is better, is there anyone here who has gone to both? And for the last time, is Gatecon a Stargate Exclusive?

I would also like to add that THIS IS THE FIRST Official Stargate Con. And I was a part of the Gold Members, which with them you get to go to the special breakfast and the desert party and happy hour. And If I return next year I know some of the people I met will be there again. So I am pretty sure that you can make friends at ANY con. And I made friends in this one, It will be great to see peole I saw at this years show next year. It just takes time to build up.

Gategirl
September 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM
I was wondering the same thing Shivan. We had a BLAST at the Chicago con. And from what I have heard, Gatecon is even better. We are hoping to attend next year. Thing is, I don't know where to find information about Gatecon. Like how to buy tickets, how much are the tickets, when is it, where is it, what actors will be attending? etc. etc.....I'm sure this info would be hard to come by for 2005 seeing as how 2004 just happened but as soon as anyone knows something I would appreciate the heads up!

I am the one with the Stargate obsession, yet after this past weekend it is my husband who can't wait till next year! LOL
We also made a few friends at this con. SG fans are so nice!

Oh...LOL...I wanted to mention that after bragging about our trip so much, I got my grandmother to watch Stargate!!! Better watch out or we'll be bringing her with us the the con!! LOL

Shivan
September 1st, 2004, 10:51 AM
Gategirl - Were you a Gold Member?

As long as Amanda Tapping is going to be at next years Official Stargate Convention then I will be there. I think I have heard that there are more people at Gatecon but seriously, with more people comes more frustration. Less people = the actual chance of getting close to the people you have grown to love.

Next year though my friends are taking a plane, it took us 10 hours from where we live to get to Chicago.

debskec
September 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM
I apologzie, you're right, not all of creation's money went to the company. I had forgotten about the auctions they held. I was in and out all weekend.

Yes, gatecon is strictly stargate. And I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't make friends at offical cons, I just never really had. I also had never traveled to a con before, since I live in Chicago many things come to us. So I guess it was a different experience.

Either way do what makes you happiest. Some prefer fan run cons, others don't. After attending both, I can say I prefer the fan-run. (Though that obviously didn't stop me from attending an offical one this past weekend.)

debskec
September 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Thing is, I don't know where to find information about Gatecon. Like how to buy tickets, how much are the tickets, when is it, where is it, what actors will be attending? etc. etc.....I'm sure this info would be hard to come by for 2005 seeing as how 2004 just happened but as soon as anyone knows something I would appreciate the heads up!

The gatecon website is www.gatecon.com. The info from 2004 is still up, but you can use that as a reference till the new info is created and posted.

Shivan
September 1st, 2004, 11:12 AM
It just seems to me that Gatecon would be a big mess, I looked at the info for this years Gatecon and damn. They must have things going every which way. Are the lines big when waiting for signatures? At the Chicago Convention I was sitting in row G. And I know rows A-H was all Gold. And Gold always went first. It wasn't too bad of a wait, once you got in the line things moved fast.

Also do you get to go to special things like the Breakfast and have the actors walk around to each table and shake your hands and carry on conversation? Tom Mcbeth actually sit at every table and took pictures at the Desert Party. And Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge walked around and met everyone and talked to them and allowed pictures as well.

Also funny story-
I was sitting on the middle table at the breakfast gettogether, and at the table beside us someone gave Christopher some gum, well when he got to our table(1 table over) he was meeting me first and he put the game in my empty water glass. I did'nt care about the gum too much, I'm not a freak like that, some of my friends were though. Thing is, the other people on our table sit around waiting for us to leave to take the gum. So we ended up taking it anyways.

I don't have it here, my friends are keeping it. But I just though I would share that.

Don't have anything of Amanda's. :(
She did however, personalize my autograph to my name. :)

debskec
September 1st, 2004, 11:39 AM
It just seems to me that Gatecon would be a big mess, I looked at the info for this years Gatecon and damn. They must have things going every which way.

Yeah, things can get a little crazy. Passes/tickets do come in levels like at the offical con. I had a super pass, which is equivilent to the gold pass creation had. they also had a lower-level weekend pass and day passes. Photos and autos were done by pass number, lowest number first...etc. Yes, lines did get long. Patience was definately necessary, but I think it depends on the person. Many people chose to wait in the hallways until their group was called. I had a high pass number, so sat out by the pool reading, much more relaxing.

As far as comparing access to the actors and different events taking place... it's just different. Did they have breakfasts like the offical one did? No. But there were cocktail parties. Theres also an independent cocktail party hosted the night before the con that many of the actors go to. The auctions at gatecon are two or more hour actor hosted events that get crazy! I was lifted up in the air twice by dougie arthurs in the middle of the room.

As far as personal time with the actors, there are usually auctions held before the con starts for different things, chris had a lunch, amanda and jr had a walk w/ their dogs, stuff like that. Granted, only a handful of people get to go to those. But they all walk around during the weekend talking to people. Jason Schomberg (Dr. Rothman) sat with us by the pool and had a beer while taking a break from pictures. Most of the guys stay late after the day is over and can be found in the bar talking with fans and taking pictures. Yes, gatecon is larger, but some person time with the actors can definately be found.

Gategirl
September 1st, 2004, 12:14 PM
Gategirl - Were you a Gold Member?

No. Husband and I had preferred Saturday. Can't afford 6 hr drive plus hotel plus $360 x 2. Now for Gatcon 05, we'll start saving now! LOL :D

Thank you debskec for the link! Can't believe I didn't know about that one! LOL :rolleyes:

Speaking of more people, there were 660 ppl there on Sat. Any estimate on how many people go to Gatecon? Maybe they have that at the website..I'll check it out.

debskec
September 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Speaking of more people, there were 660 ppl there on Sat. Any estimate on how many people go to Gatecon? Maybe they have that at the website..I'll check it out.

The day Michael, Amanda and Chris were there, I think there were just over 700 with all the different types of passes. I'm pretty sure, anyway. You'd have to ask a gatecon rep for an exact number. :o

Skydiver
September 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM
there are different passes. Super pass gets the first 500 or so more privileges. such as 'guaranteeed' autos and pictures (with whatever actors are available) it gets you entrance into the cocktail party, a disco friday night (a first for this year) and some other things.

the next level down was superquads which got you into the talks and second dibs on pics and autos

last down was day passes, which basically got you in the door.

I do feel that gatecon is more affordable. My superpass was 200ish, with pictures being extra. Autos are included in that price (with the exception of actors that jsut showed up, weren't getting paid and charged for thier autos)

I had to pay for my pictures, 25 for the 'big 3' 15 for the others....which is how it's always been done.

Not having been to a creation or other professional con, i can't really say which is 'better'

for me? I prefer the less regimented aspect of a fan run con. I go there knowing that it wont' be perfect, knowing taht things happen and prepared to go with the flow

There's another fan run con, the Weekend with Amanda that's this comign feb in teh UK. I can't afford to go this year, but i hope to in 2006, presuming there is a second one.

I personally, would rather go to a smaller con that is fan run than a large professional one.

again,your mileage may vary. different people like different things

The Kit Kat Lady
September 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM
I can't compare Gatecon to a Creation event as I haven't been to an official event (yet!). Gatecon 2004 was my first time to this event, but I have been to several UK weekend events over the last couple of years and could therefore compare the two.

In some respects I was disappointed with Gatecon, and in others I wasn't. Here are my personal points on Gatecon/UK events:

I had heard that it was quite a small event, no more than 450 attendees (on average), rather than the usual 700-800 in the UK, so I was looking forward to something that was a little smaller. 2004 unfortunately was very similar to the UK events (which I know are much smaller than the Creation cons) and there were times when I felt that neither the hotel or organisers quite knew how to cope with something that had increased in size by more than 200 people since the previous year.

Cons are about queuing and it is generally where you meet some terrific people. The queues started quite early in the morning, and as per usual, things ran late which left us standing around getting in everyone's way. At the end of the morning's talks we were then kicked out of the room for the air con unit to calm down (or something like that) and we had to queue again. UK hotels seem to have different systems as we can usually stay in the main hall all day.

The main talk on the Saturday was a first time at any con - Amanda, Michael and Chris on stage together doing a Q&A session. This meant that the queues to get front seats started again at around 10.30am for a talk that didn't start until 1.00pm which was stupid as it meant that you would miss the majority of the morning's talks if you wanted anything remotely decent.

Now the good stuff. With Vancouver being the home city for the majority of the cast it generally means that they are more relaxed because they haven't had hours of travelling and jet lag to get over. Whilst the actors are generally only there for one or two days of the con rather than the whole weekend (although some were there every day), they made up for that by being wilder in the auctions and louder - if that's possible. The UK events quite often has the actors auctioning items from the stage rather than coming out into the audience like they do at Gatecon.

Again, it being local they have better access to props, photos and costumes for auctioning off, generally raising lots of money for charity in the process. It being in Vancouver also means that you can pretty much ignore the guest list, because the actors quite often bring their friends with them who stay for the weekend. Unexpected guests this year included Brent Stait, Jason Schombing, James Robbins, Dan Shea and a last minute appearance (literally) by Peter Williams - these on top of a list of names that had already started with about 15 attendees.

I love the UK events, and they are much easier for me to get to (living in England if you hadn't guessed) and I will continue to attend them for a while longer. Would I do Gatecon again - if I could afford the cost of travel, and had the holiday to spare I would go again in a heartbeat.

Vancouver is a beautiful city, filled with friendly, accommodating people. The added bonus is that it hosts what is probably the biggest Stargate convention in the world (guest-wise) every year.

Sorry for the long post!

Elaine :)

ShadowMaat
September 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM
I find fan-run cons a lot more personable and fun to be at. Sure, they may not be as well organized as the "official" cons, but they make up for it with enthusiasm. ;) I also appreciate that fan-run cons actually know the matierial- they're fans of the show, they know the actors and a lot of them know some of the fans, too. For people at the official cons, it's just a job- they could be herding Gaters or Trekkies or Scapers and it wouldn't make any difference to them... assuming they even knew the difference between those fandoms (or knew the terms). ;) Maybe it's a small thing, but I like to know that the people behind the scenes actually CARE- about the show, about the guests and fans, about any problems that arise...

I've only been to one or two official conventions (one of which was a Creation XF) and I wasn't keen on either of them. They felt impersonal and the people in charge weren't very knowledgable beyond the rote facts about the show(s) which they probably had to memorize (or learned in self-defense). The Creation XF con was terrible. Poorly organized, poorly advertised (they were handing out flyers on the street trying to get people to come in) and I spent the entire time feeling as if I were being herded like a sheep.

Official cons are great if that's the only way you can see a con, and goodness knows you're at least going to have an impressive guest list, but I'll stick with the fan cons, thanks.

vorlon
September 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
After reading all the post - I think I will put my time & effort to attend to Gatecon.

I just hope I can save enough (I live in New Zealand)

Skydiver
September 1st, 2004, 04:17 PM
one that might be closer to you, that i have never been to, is Best of Both Worlds in australia (big continent, i know, but i don't remember which town it's in)

I think BOBW is a multi genre con, but it could be a way to get your feet wet, without going across the world.

If i had the money and the exchange rate wasn't such a bugger, i'd go to UK cons. Here in the US, it's all creation all the time. Doesn't appeal to me. Gatecon is my closest alternative.

Having never been to the uk, i'd enjoy experiencing something different

ShadowMaat
September 1st, 2004, 04:33 PM
Actually, I thought I heard BOBW was cancelled due to lack of interest. :eek:

I'm going to Stargate Universe in London in November. Should be a blast. Corin, Amanda, PDL and loads of others are on the schedule. Plus, y'know, it's LONDON! I get to hit the British Museum and Forbidden Planet Bookstore and maybe take in a production of Shakespeare... or an adaptation of a Terry Pratchett book. :D

Of course, the ultimate would be to find a RHPS-style production of Richard III like they mentioned in Eyre Affair, but something tells me Shakespeare isn't quite THAT trendy in this reality. ;)

vorlon
September 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM
While BOBW is closer to me - its usually don't have the people that I want to see.

That doesn't mean I haven't given up my hopes on them holding a SG con, with most of the main cast attending...

Skydiver
September 1st, 2004, 04:48 PM
Actually, I thought I heard BOBW was cancelled due to lack of interest.

aah, well, didn't know that :)

I don't pay much attention to foreign cons.

Ok, so bobw is a bad idea. Maybe one in the UK that's closer?

anyway, i say research, ask questions. I guarantee you for every person that loves a con, someone else hates it and it's all a matter of perception.

I know some that loathe Creation cons with a passion, yet i know others that love it and go back time and time again.

it al lcomes down to a person's personal preferences, tastes and expectations.

Shivan
September 1st, 2004, 05:29 PM
Well since a LOT of people here are going towards Gatecon and saying the PROS and the CONS I want to do the same for the Official Stargate Convention. That way people here will actually KNOW just how good they are.

Gatecon is FAN RUN, and someone in here mentioned that it is much better being at a convention where the people running also know the stuff. Well The Official Stargate Convention(OSC, I have to shorten the damn thing. :)) had the OWNER of Creation there to run it. Because he is a HUGE Stargate fan. And he is an amazing person, you can tell that he is very serious though, and he has to be. But everyone there who were part of the convention did care and know about Stargate. They weren't super Stargate freaks but who is? (*points at myself*)

The convention was Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. And THE ONLY way to enjoy the convention is with GOLD. Do not underestimate what I just said, the people who go there and buy the smaller packages get nothing compared to Gold.

If you buy Gold you are assured closer seating at ALL Q&A's, auctions, trivias, and whatever they do. Friday wasn't anything special, just going around to the venders and going to Stargate Trivia and attending Q&A's. But Saturday is where the fun begins, there are more people and better actors there. On Saturday night they had Happy Hour first. Happy Hour was where Don S. Davis and Michael Shanks walked around and met everyone in the room while getting free pictures and actually talking to these people upclose. Although Happy Hour was delayed because of Michael having to give signatures we still got to meet him near the end. As well as Don S. Davis.

Later that night they had the Desert Party. And Tom Mcbeth walked around and set at every table for a good 6 minutes allowing you to talk to him and ask questions, and afterwords get pictures. It was suppose to be Tom Mcbeth AND Tony Amendola but Tony could not make it. :(

Then Sunday morning they had the Special Breakfast. It was in the same room as the Desert Party and AMANDA TAPPING and CHRISTOPHER JUDGE both walked around and talked to every person, giving handshakes and free photos. It was amazing. Someone even gave Teal'C a Chia pet. (LOL)

If you bought Gold you got to meet these great people up close and personal. And all of the actors that attended are truly nice people. And you can tell that they care for all fans. That makes the experience so much better.

Don't forgot they still did all the Q&A's seperately, which I think is better because you get to ask one person more questions, and they also held trivias, auctions, and other things such as the showing of last weeks Stargate SG:1 and Atlantis episode(though I believe Atlantis was never played because of setbacks.)

They also had some other neat things such as where you tell them your ideas for the feature movie and you voted on whos idea was the best and they won prizes.

Overall I was impressed, sometimes smaller is much better. And in this case that statement fits. I can't wait til next year.

Feli
September 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM
Would I do Gatecon again - if I could afford the cost of travel, and had the holiday to spare I would go again in a heartbeat.

Vancouver is a beautiful city, filled with friendly, accommodating people. The added bonus is that it hosts what is probably the biggest Stargate convention in the world (guest-wise) every year.

Sorry for the long post!

Elaine :)
(((((Elaine))))))

You here!?

*squeals with delight*

Of course you'll do Gatecon 2005, would you really want to miss out on drinks at Bartini's?

*remembers that she was supposed to email Elaine her postal address*

Oops! ;)

I do have a ticket for SG8 now though - will I see you there?

Feli
September 2nd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Well since a LOT of people here are going towards Gatecon and saying the PROS and the CONS I want to do the same for the Official Stargate Convention. That way people here will actually KNOW just how good they are.
Shivan, can I ask you in all honesty why you opened this thread? It seems to me that you're far more interested in promoting the wonders of the recent Creation Con than actually learning about the differences between the cons. Of course there's nothing wrong with telling us about the wonderful time you had at the con and I'm very happy for you that your first con experience turned out so well but why did you then bother to open a thread about con differences?

prion
September 2nd, 2004, 08:40 AM
Basically, neither con is perfect, and both have their pros and cons. However, what a lot at BOTH cons boils down to is that the more money you have to spend on the expensive tickets, the more you'll get. Creation used to have general admission, then they realized they could reap in tons of money by basically selling the seats (gold, silver, whatever). That has gone to all conventions with actors now, basically, so you just can't walk in off the street, pay, and shake hands with the actors like in the old days.

Didn't do Gatecon, but a friend did, and had good and bad things to say about the organization of the event. Basically, the longer an event runs, the less problems they should have, so if they do a gatecon next year, you'd hope they'd have no problems.

Creation on the other hand will over sell events, tell you one thing, do another. That's why I don't do them. After being told an outright lie on the phone, and traveling across two states to get to the ocn, I found out the actor I wanted to see had cancelled out a month before! Yet they told me on the phone he would be there. I checked with the actor's agent after I got back home and they weren't happy either, as the convention was basically using his name to get in an audience.

And Creation didn't lose the Quantum Leap conventions for no reason, either. Fans complained a lot after they messed up the first (and their last) con.

ShadowMaat
September 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM
Regardless of Shivan's motivations for starting the thread, at least the rest of us can put it to good use. ;)

I'm with prion. I had nothing but problems with Creation. My tickets didn't arrive. I called. They told me there WAS no convention in my area and that I had my info wrong. I got that story from three different people on three different calls. No wonder they were out on the streets handing out flyers. I think I finally ended up having to pick up my tickets at the door, along with what seemed like everyone else. The attendant inside described Dean Haglund as "that long-haired guy. You probably know who I mean." He had no idea who the actor was or what character he played. Everyone I asked gave me a different story on what was going on and everywhere I went they charged me more for something. Thanks but no thanks.

Like I said, I'll put up with a disorganised fan-run con before I'll put up with something "official", especially if it's Creation. Once was more than enough for me.

Of course, I've also heard some nightmares about VERY badly-run fan cons, but I've thus far managed to avoid THAT problem.

Gatecon isn't perfect. Far from it. This year was the first time in four years I wasn't reduced to a bloody froth over something and that's only because I didn't have my heart set on pics with the stars. I'm disappointed, but I'm not heartbroken as I know some people were. And frankly, I think listening to Sandy's monologue in the auditorium was more fun than sitting in lthe hot, stuffy line for pics. ;)

I had a blast at Agamemcon, too. I'm pretty sure that was fan-run. That was MUCH more informal a setting, with lots of the actors hanging out and sitting at the various tables corresponding to their show (it was general scifi), signing autographs, taking pics with fans, just... hanging out. 'Twas very cool and I'm kinda sorry they folded.

Shivan
September 2nd, 2004, 09:16 AM
I have read everything in here about Gatecon, and I have yet to put it down and say which is better. Because I can't.

But we never had ANY problems with tickets, we never had any problems with the convention at all, my friend Shannon was EMAILED directly when they found out an actor could or could not make it. So people who have had bad experiences with Creation in the past I am sorry. But my first impressions of creation are beyond amazing. The ONLY dissapointments had to do with the hotel, nothing about the convention. And they weren't that bad of disappointements in the first place.

As I said before, the OWNER of Creation personally ran it himself, and I think he did this for a reason. To make sure things went off without a hitch. I think he did this because he cared for the convention moreso than others.

The point of this thread is to inform people about both cons, to give people impressions of both in one thread. So people can decide. And I only have good words for Creation. Because the convention I went to was great.

Skydiver
September 2nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
Maybe things are changing. Maybe recent events have been an effort to change old tactics and old ways of doing things. I really don't know.

I do know that I've heard a lot of things like prion and shadow have said. And i've heard them from other people. I've also heard positive things.

My main experience has been with Gatecon. The first year i went, i was horribly disappointed. my main reason for going was to see amanda, for some stange reason she chose to go with her hubby to hawaii for their anniversary than spend it with us....don't understand that in the slightest ;)

But i went back the next year. and the next two years. I go each year not expecting teh world. I go expecting 'con time'....ie being late. I go each year not expecting any actor to show up until i see them on the stage. I go each year knowing that i may not get the pics that i want, or autos either. (didn't even mess with autos this year. the only ones i'd want were cj or at....and they weren't signing)

I don't mind the disorganization, because i know to expect it.

If creation is trying to turn thier image around, more power to them. Given that they're official, i'm glad to hear that some effort is being made.

It's just nothing personal if someone prefers one con over another. I hear the same thing about ones in the UK. That there are cons that some loathe while others adore them and the ground that the organizer walks on.

to each his/her own.

Probably the only way to get a fairly accurate opinon of a con, short of going to it, is to have folks post their opinions/experiences.

I can guarantee you one thing, there ain't a con in the world that will please everyone all the time.

Shivan
September 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM
Amanda showed up a day after her birthday. Which is amazing, I was surprised she wasn't off doing something else. She even had to leave a little bit earlier to go film for Earthsea. Since she is going to be a small cameo in the miniseries.

But she still came, still walked around, she signed, and still did that Q&A. They just moved up her signature time to earlier.

prion
September 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM
I have read everything in here about Gatecon, and I have yet to put it down and say which is better. Because I can't.

But we never had ANY problems with tickets, we never had any problems with the convention at all, my friend Shannon was EMAILED directly when they found out an actor could or could not make it. So people who have had bad experiences with Creation in the past I am sorry. But my first impressions of creation are beyond amazing. The ONLY dissapointments had to do with the hotel, nothing about the convention. And they weren't that bad of disappointements in the first place.

As I said before, the OWNER of Creation personally ran it himself, and I think he did this for a reason. To make sure things went off without a hitch. I think he did this because he cared for the convention moreso than others.

So the owner cared more about one con than the others? That seems to be what you're indicating, and if so, that's a terrible business attitude. He is running a business and all the cons should have the same quality, and all fans should be treated in the same fair and polite manner. Maybe he did the convention himself in order to make sure it looked as good as possible as MGM reps were there, who knows?

Creation has been in business since the 70s. And people STILL have problems with them to this day. It's good that you're one of the folks for whomever went smoothly, but I would never recommend any of their conventions. Of course, if you continue attending Creations, you may run into the problems many of the rest of us have experienced....

Shivan
September 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
So the owner cared more about one con than the others? That seems to be what you're indicating, and if so, that's a terrible business attitude. He is running a business and all the cons should have the same quality, and all fans should be treated in the same fair and polite manner. Maybe he did the convention himself in order to make sure it looked as good as possible as MGM reps were there, who knows?

Creation has been in business since the 70s. And people STILL have problems with them to this day. It's good that you're one of the folks for whomever went smoothly, but I would never recommend any of their conventions. Of course, if you continue attending Creations, you may run into the problems many of the rest of us have experienced....

If I had enough money, I would go to every Stargate Convention ever. If I had enough time, but I do not. Meeting Amanda Tapping was a pivotal event in my life. And not only her, but meeting them all. You say that it is a bad business effort, so to say, for the director to do that only for this con. Who says he is? You say that Creation is known for bad cons. Maybe the person in this thread was right when they said they are learning from their mistakes.

It seems that would be in their best interest if they want ot keep fans coming.

Even the director himself said next year would have so much more. So who knows?

Its called patience, and I will be here again next year to tell you how it went.

rihannsu
September 2nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
Personally, I usually go to the ones that have the most guests that I want to see.

Having said that, I went to the Trek con in Vegas this year, and met a BBS friend who convinced me to go to Gatecon. She and I hit it off in person and I'd love to hang out with her and talk Stargate for a weekend or so. Plus, I want to take a vacation to Vancouver sometime and going to the con would kill 2 birds with one staff weapon.

prion
September 2nd, 2004, 12:22 PM
If I had enough money, I would go to every Stargate Convention ever. If I had enough time, but I do not. Meeting Amanda Tapping was a pivotal event in my life. And not only her, but meeting them all. You say that it is a bad business effort, so to say, for the director to do that only for this con. Who says he is? You say that Creation is known for bad cons. Maybe the person in this thread was right when they said they are learning from their mistakes.

It seems that would be in their best interest if they want ot keep fans coming.

Even the director himself said next year would have so much more. So who knows?

Its called patience, and I will be here again next year to tell you how it went.

I think as long as Creation gets the actors, fans will continue to go, even if the organizers mess up the cons to some extent. Creation has a nickname - cretin con - not nice, but it was coined (and earned) somewhere on the internet by fans who got tired of shoddy cons. It's not to say fans don't run lousy cons either, they do. The thing is that Creation knows that Stargate is going to make them a lot of money as Trek is winding down.

As for patience, well, I tried them out for two decades, finally decided to call it quits. Love to see the SG1 actors, but not at Creation Con.

ShadowMaat
September 2nd, 2004, 12:31 PM
Creation knows they have the fans by the short hairs. No matter how outrageous their prices, no matter how shoddily run they are, people will still go and Creation will exploit that as much as possible for as long as they can. It's that simple. ;)

It's possible they HAVE changed. From what I've heard from friends, the Chicago con was lots of fun. But I can't afford to find out if Creation has truly changed its tune so I'll stick to the lil' guys.

Skydiver
September 2nd, 2004, 12:49 PM
that can be the problem with 'official' cons. It's not unheard of for actors to be drawn into exclusive contracts, where they are basically not permitted to do anything or go anywhere that's nto 'official'

There are actors that aren't permitted to sign autographs unless they're at an official con. or actors who either commit to being exclusive, or they don't work.

It can be a cut throat business. And then when things go this far, all of a sudden it does become a 'eh, they HAVE to come here if they want to see x, so to heck with them. they'll do things our way or not at all'

That kind of attitude is what has given official conventions a bit of a black eye. It's a power trip and an abuse of power and it's left a sour taste in a lot of mouths. even if the attitude is only in the past, people have long memories. There are members of this fandom that have been going to cons for 20+ years.

I have my perferences. I choose to fly 3300 miles to Vancouver and go to Gatecon. If the amanda weekend in the UK happens a second time in 2006, i will go to that. My personal choice is fan run cons. I like the relaxed atmosphere, i dont' mind the chaos and I prefer something more casual than something regimented and impersonal.

Maybe, if an 'official' con ever gets close enough to home that i can go without it being a major investment - face it, the average fan is gonna spend 500- 1,000 for a weekend, including tickets to get in, airfare, hotel, food, etc...and that's not even touching the cost of any goodies, autographs, pictures, souvenirs - I may consider going.

but right now, I can only afford one con a year. and i choose to stay with the known quantity of Gatecon. I know what to expect there. I 'know' richard and allen, i know other guests and I like it. I like that actors just drop in. I like that you never know who will show up. I like that you cna go for a drive and visit shooting locations.

It may not be for everyone. All i can suggest is to find out for yourself.

Shivan
September 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
As long as I get to meet the actors I don't give a damn. That is the most important reason to even attend a con.

As long as the actors have fun going that is what counts in the end. I just don't want people to run this into the ground. As in the actors start saying "GEEZ, do I HAVE TO GO TO THE CONVENTION?"

So far it isn't a hassle for most, if not all, of the SG-1 team, because they understand what made them famous, and they did have fun, and still do have fun, making the show we all love so much.

Lets just not hope the actors get tired of us anytime soon. ;)

prion
September 2nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
that can be the problem with 'official' cons. It's not unheard of for actors to be drawn into exclusive contracts, where they are basically not permitted to do anything or go anywhere that's nto 'official'

There are actors that aren't permitted to sign autographs unless they're at an official con. or actors who either commit to being exclusive, or they don't work.

It can be a cut throat business. And then when things go this far, all of a sudden it does become a 'eh, they HAVE to come here if they want to see x, so to heck with them. they'll do things our way or not at all'

That's why Creation still exists. It locks actors into exclusive contracts. Some actors decide to just say "screw it" and don't bother with cons anymore. It would not surprise me if down the road Creation locks the SG1/SGA actors into something that precludes them doing Gatecon, and Gatecon bites the dust. Of course, it would be nice for the Gatecon folk to say they've got the actors for so many years down the road. Gives people an alternative to Creation and their exhorbitantly high ala-carte menu of attending their cons.

ANd you'd think for those prices, the actors could talk more than 45 minutes too. They probably want to, but it cuts into CC's profits.

Shivan
September 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Well, yes I could tell that the actors wanted to talk for more than 45 minutes. And I also felt the same way. When Christopher Judge was doing his Q&A session someone came out to tell him to wrap it all up and he laughed at them and said "Yeah Right."

It was funny as hell though, though I enjoyed all Q&A's. Though I guess I favored Amanda's the most, but what can I say. Amanda Tapping is my favorite actor and Captain Carter is my favorite character on the show. Well she is tied with the other 3 members of SG:1. They are all high up there.

But yeah, I would of liked it if they had longer to speak with us. But you guys have to realize that some people have things to do, Amanda had to leave early to go shoot for her cameo in Earthsea. And Christopher Judge was holding her back because they had to start doing the autographs as early as possible.

Think what you want about Creation's events. Though this one wasn't bad at all. There were almost not problems other than the Hotel reminding us of the song Hotel California . (But thats another story alltogether)

Skydiver
September 2nd, 2004, 04:12 PM
What i don't get is why official and non official can't find a way to co-exist?

Yes, some fans do cross borders. Lots of the attendees of gatecon are from the uk, or even further away. But some folks can't travel that far. A con that's a few hundredmiles away, sure. but one that's half way across the world? Conventions are expensive prospects to begin with, then add to that the cost of travel, it becomes horribly prohibitive to many.

I save for the better part of a year to go to gatecon. I don't have the disposible income to just lark off 3-4 times a year and i envy those that do.

I wish cons, in general, would spend less time competing with and trying to drive each other out of existence and realize that there is more to be gained by mutual coexistence.

When one owner becomes the sole operator of conventions, it's inevitable that they become arrogant. Supply and demand dictate that when there is a sole source of supply, the supplier ususally sets his/her own rules...most often to their benefit at the costs of the fans. competition keeps folks 'honest'. The more choices people have, the less grumpy they tend to be about things.

choice is good.

I hope mgm's greed doesnt' take away all our choices. Because i'll do without before i just fall into a mindless path.

Gategirl
September 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Shivan, I so know what you mean about the hotel!! I was a little shocked when I saw it myself. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't roach motel or anything to that effect, but it was very small and the rooms were very small, the toilet in our room was a pain in the booty to flush, in fact it wouldn't flush the day we checked out! LOL (ok, so that was more than you wanted to know :o )
I never thought the actors would stay THERE, but they did. Just another example of how these particular actors are down to earth.

Man, we've headed a little off topic soooo....

I couldn't even compare the 2 since this was my first and only con ever. But I have never been to Vancouver (never left the upper 48 for that matter) so I would love to go to Gatecon 05 and do the touristy thing like we did in Chicago. Make it ABOUT Stargate but NOT ONLY Stargate!

As far as the prices go...can you imagine my shock to discover that the super pass for Gatecon costs only $210 (and that's for like 4 or 5 days) when the Creation Gold pass was $359. :eek: And photos were NOT included in that price!

HHMMM, I could buy a plane ticket to BC for the money I'd save on 2 tickets! So we are probably going to give it a try!!

OH PLEASE let there be a Gatecon 05!!! And PLEASE let all the actors come!! (Well AT & CJ anyway...I've had my shot at DD & MS) like I could ever get enough MS LOL!!! ;)

BABBLE BABBLE BABBLE....ok, I'll stop now!!! Thanks for coming...come again soon!! LOL

Skydiver
September 2nd, 2004, 04:54 PM
actually, gc super pass is 216ish, PLUS the pictures. And it's for thu night, fri, sat and sun.

autographs are included in that, except, this year, some of the actors just came on their own, they weren't getting paid to be there, so they were selling thier autos to pay for their time.

gatecon is in american money, the hotel is in canadian money....so depending on the exchange rate, $1 us can get you 1.30 canadian

the exchange rate is one thing that makes a UK con a little out of the reach for me. I think $1 us is like .75 british. Makes it a wee bit more expensive for me.

Shivan
September 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
You seem to miss something Gategirl.

Gold tickets cost 359.00 and you DO get pictures. You get to attend 3 special events, MORE next year, and the actors walk around at each event and let you take pictures and TALK TO THEM directly.

Way worth the 360 in my opinion.

Oh and Gategirl, our toilet wouldn't flush either, and one day we tried to leave the hotel and the little spot where you insert your ticket was broken, we were closed in and couldnt drive out, which proves my theory of it really being Hotel California.

SO I dub the Radison hotel -

Hotel Illonois

BLA BLA BLA!

ShadowMaat
September 2nd, 2004, 05:54 PM
I don't care. I'm still not paying $400 for a stupid ticket PLUS travel expenses, PLUS hotel, PLUS food... I'll stick with the cheaper fan cons and pay for the individual people I want pics with, which is generally only one or two people out of the list, anyway.

Skydiver
September 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
I don't care. I'm still not paying $400 for a stupid ticket PLUS travel expenses, PLUS hotel, PLUS food... I'll stick with the cheaper fan cons and pay for the individual people I want pics with, which is generally only one or two people out of the list, anyway.

same for me. I'll go to fan cons, or not at all.

As much fun as it is to see the actors, I like to see my friends more. If there is no gatecon next year, we've already decided that we'll have our own private convention in some city, maybe Las Vegas or some other hub city.

We don't need stargate to get together, we just 'need' each other.

MGM has enough millions, i'm not gonna begger myself making them richer. They want to make everything 'official'....go for it. but in soem things, nothing kills the fun faster than regimenting it.

ShadowMaat
September 2nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Amen to that. And if it comes down to having a non-Gatecon meetup, please keep me posted.

Would love to see Vegas again. Maybe I can find that pseudo-Chippendales guy again. Gosh, he was nice... :D

Shivan
September 2nd, 2004, 07:26 PM
Let me explain something to you guys.

The cost of the signatures are $145.00 (around that price)
The cost of getting pictures is $210.00 (Amanda-40, Michael-40, Christopher-40, Don-30, Tom-30, Tony-30)

PLUS you get better seating, PLUS you get to attend Happy Hour, Desert Party, and Breakfast. And you get free FOOD at each event. AND YOU ALSO get signatures FASTER!

The above cost $345.00 added together, and you get all that WITH THE GOLD TICKET COST of $360.00 And I know for a fact that I am wrong about the signatures and it is a little more. And me and my friends added it up and we are actually saving money, not losing.

The pictures and signatures and seating alone are worth it. WAY WORTH IT.

ShadowMaat
September 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM
Let me explain something to you guys. So you can understand something much clearer. Instead of reacting when you are totally IGNORANT. (No offense)
Offense taken. And frankly I'm beginning to wonder if you work for Creation, you're so adamantly PRO about them.

Anyway, $360 is close enough to $400 for me to not care about the difference and your attitude is frankly doing more harm than good as I am getting increasingly LESS likely to consider Cretin Cons based solely on your intolerance of anything said against them. At least I'm willing to admit that Gatecon and other fan cons screw up.

But I digress. Gaters meeting in Sin City. What a scary concept. The city would never be the same... ;)

Webbgirl
September 3rd, 2004, 12:23 AM
Have to pipe in here. I've been to 3 Creation cons this year. (Within the past 6 months in fact *sigh*) While none of them were the horror story I was expecting after hearing some folks talk about Creation, they were definitely far from perfect.

Pasadena - Nice but oooohh so crowded. No real issues with the Con itself for that one.

Burbank - They never delivered my ticket and my name wasn't on the list when I arrived and I spent a good 20 minutes going back and forth between the guy from my bank on the phone and the one and only person who seemed able to handle ticket issues. The chairs they sat us in for the photos with the actors were a joke. I'm a good foot away from Carmen A. in my pic with him. On the up-side, got to meet and spend time with the actors at the Dessert and Brunch. (Also got a kiss from Michael Shanks during the panel, but that was in no way Creation's doing.)

Sacramento - Overall a good experience, but they oversold the brunch (something about selling both a breakfast and brunch) and the actors were sent back to their rooms so they showed up late. Still ended up leaning against Michael Shanks arms so, not complaining too much.

The other downside on Sac was that they scheduled Michael Shanks and Don S Davis at both the Chicago and Sacramento cons the same weekend. I heard from a few Chicago goers who got short-changed at the Cocktail party because of bad organization and flight times.

Then again, I had a friend come home from Gatecon in tears because there were twice as many photo tickets sold as they could handle.

Gategirl
September 3rd, 2004, 03:54 AM
Well, for $80 we lucked up big time then. We got personal photos with MS, DD, & TM before they went into the cocktail party. And I could have spoken to them if I would have thought of anything intelliglble to say. LOL :rolleyes:

But I was referring to the paid photo ops. And if those were included in the Gold, then something has changed very recently and not posted on Creation's website. I know there were 8 rows of Gold, 30 seats a row, so 240 in all. That seems like a lot of folks to squeeze in photos and conversation in one hour. Not that I'm dissing the extras that you get with Gold, I just think that it wasn' set up right. You guys did pay alot of money and it seems to me that with 2 conventions sceduled that same weekend, you may have not gotten the full benefits of Gold. I think for that kind of money ALL the actors should attend these special functions. Fri. night and Sat. morning.

But...isn't Stargate conventions NEW to Creation? They had their problems but I would in no way call is a disaster. Just some kinks.

Another thought...just how organzied can anything really be with these actors, whom we all LOVE and want to touch and talk to. I'm still neutral in this 'which is better' discussion. I'd go back to a Creation event but I want to go to Gatecon, too! I enjoy my fellow fans alot.

Vegas? OOOOOOO :D

Editing to say...I don't think anyone is trying to be offensive here. I don't think it's crazy to pay almost $400 to see your favorite actors if you've got that kind of money to spend. We did NOT. Would have been $740 for me and my hubby plus $500 in hotel/food/exp. Not to mention souveniers! If we coulda we woulda! LOL And I don't think it should be which is BETTER, but how are they DIFFERENT. And what your personal preferrence is.

ShadowMaat
September 3rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
I think that trying to say that one or the other is "better" is plain stupid- it's a matter of personal preference. Each operation has its own strengths AND failures and it depends a lot on your interests and personality (and budget) as to which is better suited to you as an individual (generally speaking). Me, I like fan-run stuff. Other people prefer the more... professional approach. No one is WRONG for liking one over the other and it would be incredibly rude for anyone to try and say so.

Maybe there should be a Vegas gathering anyway. There will probably be those who still won't make it to Gatecon and there could be some who'd like to do both. :D

Skydiver
September 3rd, 2004, 04:56 AM
Then again, I had a friend come home from Gatecon in tears because there were twice as many photo tickets sold as they could handle.

Just to clarify. Photo tickets aren't sole per se. Super pass members have first dibs on buying however many photos they want at a specific price per actor. This last year, it was AT, CJ and MS for 25, the rest for 15.

Some chose individual shots, others group shots, some didn't get pictures at all.

gatecon was sold out for the first time ever, pictures took forever. I was in the second hundred and still waited almost 3 hours to get my pictures. (I bought one amanda/chris/corin and one amanda/teryl)

Others behindme waited even longer and those at the end were given a choice of one huge group pic with everyone (all 15 or so actors that were there) or nothing. It ws something done because it took them 8-10 hours for pictures (not quite sure when it all ended, but i know it was LATE)

I do know that getting the group pic was disappointing to some, and maybe i woulda felt that way too. Then again, as much as i like my smaller pics, i woudla loved pics with all the actors, but did NOT have that kind of money to spend on a photo. (and i've been trying for a pic with amanda for four years....finally got it :) )

No promises, and i don't work for gatecon in any way, but, presuming there is a GC 2005, i'm sure something will be done or discussed to get the photos moving faster.

I guess my main point is, there weren't any photo tickets sold, but individual photos. It's a bit of a difference to sell one person 2 photos with one actor than it is to sell one person 15 individual shots with every actor in the room.

this was the first time they ever had this many attendees and as such, it was definitely a learning experience for all involved. There was also a huge number of 'virgins'...folks going to thier first gatecon.

Skydiver
September 3rd, 2004, 04:58 AM
I think that trying to say that one or the other is "better" is plain stupid- it's a matter of personal preference. Each operation has its own strengths AND failures and it depends a lot on your interests and personality (and budget) as to which is better suited to you as an individual (generally speaking). Me, I like fan-run stuff. Other people prefer the more... professional approach. No one is WRONG for liking one over the other and it would be incredibly rude for anyone to try and say so.

Exactly. which is why i hope fan run cons never go away. Different levels of organization and different attitudes create different experiences for all involved. Some prefer the atmosphere of a creation con, some don't

It doesn't have to be 'right' for anyone but the person involved.

Gategirl
September 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
I would be VERY happy to take a group photo with all the actors! That is a very good idea that should definately be considered by the organizers of all the conventions. Not sure how they would price that though. I'd pay more for it than for a single actor photo but I wouldn't want to pay full price like I were getting several pics.

HEY...there's an idea!!! Let's come up with suggestions on how to improve/extend/speed up/make more enjoyable conventions!!!!! Think that thread would fly??

Shivan
September 3rd, 2004, 06:08 AM
I think some of you guys are reading between the lines when you don't have to. Read my recent posts, I never said which one was better or worse. I even told you guys outright that I haven't even been to a Gatecon. So why would I try to argue which was better? The only thing I argued on was the price which someone was mistaken on. You do get your $360.00 worth. And that is all I was trying to say.

I also never said that the con I went to was perfect, but it didn't have any hiccups at all.

A lot of you guys are coming on here saying how horrible a creation con is, which is alirght. All I'm trying ot say is that this creation con was good. We got our tickets in advance, and everything else went by schedule and smoothly. The only thing I can complain about is Happy Hour, because the ACTORS were backed up signing stuff. But they still came at the end, even though they only had like 20 minutes, they still came and allowed people to take pictures.

I think Gategirl is right when she says we should just share experiences of both cons discussing the likes and dislikes.

Replicarter
September 3rd, 2004, 06:09 AM
:(, I wouldnít know, I cannot afforded to go to any convention, even though id do anything to get there like sell an arm and a leg, as long as i could give it afterwards, I donít really want to go to one looking like that.

Skydiver
September 3rd, 2004, 06:52 AM
I think suggestions is a good idea. I know that I sent gatecon some observations/suggestions after last year. I was a volunteer and worked the auditorium all 3 days and i had some things that i thought of. I sent them in and they'll either read them or ignore them.

I do think that suggestions are more productive than just complaining. Complaing doesn't solve anything. It makes a person feel better in the short term, but that's all.

So, those that have been to cons, what were problems and what are your suggestions?

Please bear in mind that, we're just doing this. There's no guarantee that anyone from gatecon or creation or any other con will ever read it

prion
September 3rd, 2004, 08:20 AM
I think suggestions is a good idea. I know that I sent gatecon some observations/suggestions after last year. I was a volunteer and worked the auditorium all 3 days and i had some things that i thought of. I sent them in and they'll either read them or ignore them.

I do think that suggestions are more productive than just complaining. Complaing doesn't solve anything. It makes a person feel better in the short term, but that's all.

So, those that have been to cons, what were problems and what are your suggestions?

Please bear in mind that, we're just doing this. There's no guarantee that anyone from gatecon or creation or any other con will ever read it

There's nothing wrong with pointing out what you enjoyed about a con - or hated about it - in a public forum. Sometimes it's the only way to get action from a concon IS to talk about it publicly, as some concoms might ignore any negative comments they receive (yes, some do).

What both Gatecon and Creation need are simple easy to read FAQS that are linked to the front page - an idiot's guide to their convention. Stuff like - where is the con located, hours, dates, photography allowed? video allowed? what do you wear to 'formal' functions, etc.

I also love reading detailed postings on cons after the fact. I know Creation won't bother, but gatecon should have a links section where fans can add links to photos taken at hte con, live journals, etc.

GateGipsy
September 3rd, 2004, 08:40 AM
I would be VERY happy to take a group photo with all the actors! That is a very good idea that should definately be considered by the organizers of all the conventions. Not sure how they would price that though. I'd pay more for it than for a single actor photo but I wouldn't want to pay full price like I were getting several pics.

HEY...there's an idea!!! Let's come up with suggestions on how to improve/extend/speed up/make more enjoyable conventions!!!!! Think that thread would fly??
Wolf Cons in the UK do allow group photos. However, you still have to pay the same amount per guest as you would with individual photos. That is, if guests are charging £25 for a photo, and you get a photo taken with four guests, then you will have to pay £100 for the picture. The reason for this is that the photos are where the guests get their money for going to a con. It might be different for other cons where the guests are paid in a different way.

Skydiver
September 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Wolf Cons in the UK do allow group photos. However, you still have to pay the same amount per guest as you would with individual photos. That is, if guests are charging £25 for a photo, and you get a photo taken with four guests, then you will have to pay £100 for the picture. The reason for this is that the photos are where the guests get their money for going to a con. It might be different for other cons where the guests are paid in a different way.

that's how gatecon does it as well. I paid per actor, no matter how many photos i got.

teryl and amanda cost me 40 together, chris, amanda and corin cost me 65 (25+25+15)

Personally? I like group shots. How many photos can one person hang on the wall????

And i think they tend to go faster too.

One thing i think gatecon needs to consider is limiting the number of photos. If someone wants 10 actors in a photo, cool, but they get 2 photos total, with as many actors in it that they are willign to pay for.

One person taht i know of got a pic with every single actor. Good for her. I'm glad that she got it. but i know that it took her over an hour in the room to get the pictures.

Maybe if she'd have gotten two group shots, it would have taken her a lot less time than that, thus making room for othres to come in

As to the FAQ, there are guidelines on gatecon's site. THere is a mailing list for announcements, and the gategoers group. But while you can put info out there, you can't make folks read it

Rowan Green
December 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Saw this in the 'similar threads' and thought it made interesting reading...

Dana_Jeanne
December 26th, 2004, 02:48 PM
But I was referring to the paid photo ops. And if those were included in the Gold, then something has changed very recently and not posted on Creation's website.

The Gold ticket price for Creation Cons does NOT include photos with the stars. What it does include is a cocktail party and sometimes a breakfast, seats in the first how-ever-many rows it takes, free autographs from the main guests and being first in line for the autographs which are called row-by-row. If you want a photo, you buy one for $30-$50 depending on who it is, and stand in line with everyone else.

Fans are told NOT to try and start a conversation with the actor during either the photo session or the autograph session, and the actor is NOT allowed to personalise anything. For the photos, you walk in, sit down, smile and the photographer yells NEXT.

Dana Jeanne

Kri
December 27th, 2004, 09:42 AM
What is the difference? I've been hearing about Gatecon and don't know much about it at all.

Is it JUST for Stargate? And which one would you guys rather go to if you got to choose and pick one? I recently just got back from the Official Stargate Convention in Chicago, Illinois and had a blast. It was the best damn convention ever.

So? Anyone want to help me out here, what is Gatecon and which is better?

The Official SG:1 Convention

or

Gatecon 200X

Here are my thoughts:

While I find it sad for Gatecon supporters that Creation has gone to Vancouver, I also have a few points to make.

1. Creation is now the official convention company for Stargate. They have been since early last year.

2. Creation is VERY well organized and has done conventions for over 20 years. They know what they are doing, they run excellent conventions, and everything has been more than satisfactory for fans who have attended. If you get a Gold pass, your seat to ALL shows is guaranteed.

3. I cannot say the same for Gatecon - especially for those folks who attended last year. All I heard about was the lines (some overnight) that people had to wait in. I guess I don't understand spending that kind of money and still having to wait in lines, and many times not being able to get into every show/event they wanted to.

4. Bravo to Gatecon for being a charity run event. Creation is ALSO a charity run event. They have the same kind of charity auctions throughout the weekend. But also remember that while Creation is in this because it is a business, so is Stargate. Why do you folks think we are having a season 9? Because when it comes right down to it, the show is about money.

just my opinions.

Madeleine
December 27th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Creation is VERY well organized and has done conventions for over 20 years. They know what they are doing, they run excellent conventions, and everything has been more than satisfactory for fans who have attended. If you get a Gold pass, your seat to ALL shows is guaranteed.

Only if you have a gold pass? So if you're just a pleb you don't get a seat? That's pretty grotty.

Creation is ALSO a charity run event. They have the same kind of charity auctions throughout the weekend.

Creation is not a Charity-run event, far from it! Creation is a Creation-run event, and Creation is not a charity. Creation is a money-making operation. Nothing wrong with businesses existing, but just because a business raises a little money for charity doesn't entitle it to be called a charity. And if a business tries to take away fundraising opportunities from a genuine charity or charity-run event (as Gatecon is) then it's very grotty indeed.

Skydiver
December 28th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Creation is not for charity. Yes, they do give money to charity. They've said as much on another forum.

but, your price of admission goes to pay

rent for the hotel

actors' expenses/fees (travel, room and board, meals)

the salaries of those working the con

the benefits of those working the con (they need insurance too)

depending on the situation, the goodies you get at the con. i'm sure some are donated, others are purchased

advertising and promotion

and, after they turn a profit, they do give money to charity.

the big difference between creation and gatecon is that there are no salaries involved. teh folks that put on gatecon pay their own airfare, hotel rooms, food, they even buy thier own tickets to come to the con. then all the left over money is turned over to make a wish.

I'm not saying that creation does not give to charity, they do. but Gatecon has a lower overhead which allows them to spend less on theirselves and making a living and give it to charity

(i do wish to say, i don't begrudge the folks at creation making a living. working for a con company could be fun, however the simple fact of them needing to do the little things like eat and have somewhere to live :) does affect the bottom line)

they are for profit and it's a business for them. Just like it's a business to the folks who make the show. it's how they make their living

BackStageJim
December 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Kri Ö surrender the fight, the odds are against you.

Both convention groups provide what their own fan base request.

Some want an organized three days of convention excitement. Knowing when and where a guest will be for photos, signing, or presenting on stage.

Others require a more relaxed environment where they can interact with people of same mindset. Equally exciting as indicated by years of successful conventions.

It's ying and yang ....

OregonJen
December 28th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Okay, so I just did a little math and estimated that it will cost me over $1,200 just to get to and stay at the special Creation convention in April 2005 (if I fly) and that's without food expenses! YIKES! Granted, I added an extra day on each side of the dates - as long as I'm going all the way to Vancouver, BC, I thought I might want to see some of the sights - but that only adds one extra night at the hotel (-$125). How do people afford to go to these things?? :(

Maybe my ship will come in, or I'll win the lottery (have to play first), or I'll "find" some cash to spend frivolously (no offense). ;) In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming - it would sure be fun to go. Ya'll will just have to tell me all about it when you get back.

Blessings!

Dana_Jeanne
December 28th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Only if you have a gold pass? So if you're just a pleb you don't get a seat? That's pretty grotty.

Everyone gets an assigned seat except for the people who pay $20-$50 for a day pass to get in the door.

The very first tickets that go on sale are the Gold Passes. They are the most expensive and include everything except photos. "Everything" generally is/are a dessert party or cocktail hour or sunday breakfast, sometimes all three of them or just two. Autographs for most of the stars, and first in line for the autographs. Seats in the first how-ever many rows it takes for Gold passes sold.

Closer to the con (1-2 months out) day passes go on sale. These are generally half the cost of the Gold Passes, give or take, and include a seat behind the gold pass ticket holders and the autographs for that day. This is a good idea for people who can only go to one day, or only want to attend on the day their favorite actor is there.

Depending on how many gold passes are sold, the charity breakfast may be opened up for public ticket sales.

Everyone who buys one of those two types of tickets has a guaranteed seat.

Dana Jeanne

ShadowMaat
December 28th, 2004, 01:42 PM
And if all you want to do is go to the con and see the actors and hang with your friends then you're screwed. Either you buy a daypass every day or you fork over $500 for a lot of stuff you don't even want to do.

Thanks, but no. ;)

David
December 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM
How do people afford to go to these things??
A lot of people truly can't afford it, but they go anyway. They spend the next year paying for it -- and I don't mean in dollars.

Shipperahoy
December 28th, 2004, 02:09 PM
As someone who has never been to a con before I have to say that the sheer number of things that Creation is offering is very tempting. As a con virgin I want to be able to go to a con to see the actual Stargate people, which sounds like it's not going to happen at Gatecon. I wish Gatecon all the best but being on a students budget I can't really afford to go to Gatecon to see actors that I have no interest in seeing. I know people feel strongly about this so I feel almost disloyal in contemplating going to the Creation event but I am. In fact, after reading about it at the Creation site it's looking more and more like I will attend. It sounds as though there are many backstage things going on that we will never know the full truth of and never having been to either Gatecon or a Creation run con I'm hesitant to make any declarative statements or "choose sides". It's sad that it has to come down to money but, unfortunately, that's the case.

DJFavorite
December 28th, 2004, 02:17 PM
As someone who has never been to a con before I have to say that the sheer number of things that Creation is offering is very tempting. As a con virgin I want to be able to go to a con to see the actual Stargate people, which sounds like it's not going to happen at Gatecon. I wish Gatecon all the best but being on a students budget I can't really afford to go to Gatecon to see actors that I have no interest in seeing. I know people feel strongly about this so I feel almost disloyal in contemplating going to the Creation event but I am. In fact, after reading about it at the Creation site it's looking more and more like I will attend. It sounds as though there are many backstage things going on that we will never know the full truth of and never having been to either Gatecon or a Creation run con I'm hesitant to make any declarative statements or "choose sides". It's sad that it has to come down to money but, unfortunately, that's the case.
shipmum, you sound just like me. I've been seriously considering Creation in April (it would be a week early b-day present for myself). I don't watch any on the other shows that are mentioned for Gatecon, and so without the solid confirmation of SG folks being there, I have a hard time putting my money out for it. I hate not wanting to support Gatecon, but for my first (and possibly only) con, I want to be able to see what I really am interested in.

OregonJen
December 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM
A lot of people truly can't afford it, but they go anyway. They spend the next year paying for it -- and I don't mean in dollars.Well, David, I guess I'm dense because I'm not certain what you're alluding to when you say folks spend the next year paying but not in dollars. As for me, I may yet try to attend, but gee whiz, at these prices it might be a once-in-a-lifetime gig. I suppose that's how many other people have seen the cons too, based on what I've read here. I would wish that they (Creation OR GateCon) could put out their entire price list and schedule for the weekend at the beginning instead of giving it to us in bits and pieces. That way we would know what our choices are.

Anyway, thanks for your comment. Guess I don't need to go on and on stating what's probably already been written here multiple times before. ;)

Blessings!

Dana_Jeanne
December 28th, 2004, 03:55 PM
And if all you want to do is go to the con and see the actors and hang with your friends then you're screwed. Either you buy a daypass every day or you fork over $500 for a lot of stuff you don't even want to do. Thanks, but no. ;)

You can always buy the $20/$50 get in the door ticket. That allows you to see the actors and hang with your friends. None of the cons are so big that you can't see the actors on stage.

Dana Jeanne

watcher652
December 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
And if all you want to do is go to the con and see the actors and hang with your friends then you're screwed. Either you buy a daypass every day or you fork over $500 for a lot of stuff you don't even want to do. Thanks, but no.

You can always buy the $20/$50 get in the door ticket. That allows you to see the actors and hang with your friends. None of the cons are so big that you can't see the actors on stage.
The Creation Grand Slam general scifi convention in Pasadena is so huge you really can't see the actors on stage. But they put a big screen up behind the actors so those in the back can see. I always bring binoculars.

Creation does allow ala carte admission. I usually buy a general admission day pass and selected autograph passes. Sometimes, though, the cost of autographs I want is more than the preferred seating prices. Preferred seating includes the autographs of the main guests, and seating behind the Gold seating. Depending on the guests and pre-sale, preferred seating could be row L or row FF. Both have happened to me.

The only problem with general admission is that some guests have a set number of autographs they will do. You might not be able to buy an autograph ticket if you wait for the day of the con. But if autographs are important to you, you can buy an autograph pass for most guests before the con. Sometimes a guest will only do autographs for Gold seating, so you may be stuck there. But most of the time extra autograph tickets are available.

Creation also has general weekend passes, which is cheaper than buying a general day pass each day.

You can get see the pricing options at the Creation website. I notice that when Creation first lists a show, they usually put just the Gold prices up first, then the preferred, then the general admin last. I guess they want to see how much of their costs will be covered by the Gold price and then adjust the other prices accordingly. Or maybe they preset the prices and it's just their marketing strategy. But if you look at an event that is going to happen soon, then all the pricing options are listed, so you can get an idea what this year's prices are.

For example, right now the SG Arlington VA con in Feb has all the pricing options up. Go to the Creation (http://www.creationent.com) site, and navigate thru Upcoming Events. The Jan Xena con in Burbank right now has the general admission day rate up.

Also check out the Pasadena con in March for an idea of the autograph ticket and photo op prices at a general con in a large venue vs a smaller one for a specific show like VA. For some reason, Chris's autograph is $5 more in Pasadena. I think that's because Michael appeared last year, so they're fewer people wanting his autograph. Also, in VA, the photo ops are $50 for Chris and Mike, $35 for Peter Williams. In Pasadena, they are all priced at $40.

Just passing on my con observations to you all.

Skydiver
December 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM

you know, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Each person needs to make a decision that works for them.

Creation has been in the business for years. And there's bad feelings among fans going back pretty much that long. There are people i know who attended a creation con in the 80's and still refuse to patronize them. and there are others who have been going just as long and have no issue with it.

Obviously, for as much as they may do wrong, they do something right.

It may be a difference between con goers. Me? I don't like impersonal, shuffle from line a to line b, generic cons. for all the interaction i could sit down and watch a dvd.

I like personal moments. as in having a few seconds to chat with steve makaj, or corin, or other actors. I like getting to know the person behind the stage personna

for that kind of interaction, the less formal fan run cons appeal to me. For others who simply want to sit down and enjoy the show going on up on stage and collect their autos and pictures, creation's organization may work for them

What would be good is if we could find the perfect balance between impesonal but efficient and intimate but frantic

Webbgirl
December 28th, 2004, 07:44 PM
I'm one of those whose had a generally positive experience with Creation. I'd love to go to the Vancouver one, but it's potentially a price issue for me as well.

I've been to a couple of small fan-run cons and one in particular left an EXTREMELY bad taste in my mouth. They misrepresented themselves and were quite rude to me when they found out what fandom I was part of.

I was at the Creation Pasadena event last year and am going again this year. It is a large venue, but that's pretty much due to the sheer number of sci-fi actors that attend the event. It's comparable to the panels at San Diego Comicon.